PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2017 playoff discussion thread

Oldtimer
09-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Here's a central thread for playoff discussions.

OgtheDim
09-15-2017, 05:19 AM
The schedule

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/23/audi-2017-mls-cup-playoffs-schedule-revealed-final-be-played-dec-9

Subject to change. Canadian and international broadcast information to be announced at a later date. KNOCKOUT ROUND
Conference third seed vs. sixth, and fourth seed vs. fifth seed in a single-game elimination match

Eastern and Western Conference Knockout Round (4 games)

Wed, Oct 25 - Times TBD - UniMás
Wed, Oct 25 - Times TBD - UniMás
Thu, Oct 26 - Times TBD - UniMás, FS1 or ESPN2
Thu, Oct 26 - Times TBD - UniMás, FS1 or ESPN2

CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS
Two-game series, aggregate-goal format between conference top seed vs. lowest advancing seed from Knockout Round and conference second seed vs. highest seed from Knockout Round

Eastern Conference Semifinal Series: Leg 1 (2 games)

Mon, Oct 30 - Time TBD - FS1
Tue, Oct 31 - Time TBD - ESPN

Eastern Conference Semifinal Series: Leg 2 (2 games)

Sun, Nov 5 - Time TBD - ESPN or FS1

Western Conference Semifinal Series: Leg 1 (2 games)

Sun, Oct 29 - 5:00 PM ET - ESPN
Tue, Oct 31 - Time TBD - FS1

Western Conference Semifinal Series: Leg 2 (2 games)

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS
Two-game series, aggregate-goal format

Eastern Conference Championship

Leg 1: Tue, Nov 21 - 8:00 PM ET - ESPN
Leg 2: Nov 28 or 29 - Time TBD - FS1

Western Conference Championship

Leg 1: Tue, Nov 21 - Time TBD - FS1
Leg 2: Thu, Nov 30 - Time TBD - ESPN

2017 MLS CUP
Hosted at the home venue of the finalist with the best regular season record

Sat, Dec 9 - 4:00 PM ET - ESPN, UniMás, TSN, TVA Sports

ensco
09-15-2017, 05:53 AM
So it's 50/50 that TFC will play their first playoff game away on Halloween.
I wouldn't have put a game on Halloween night if I were them. That could really affect the gate for that game, games in Chicago and Columbus are 80% families. They should have gone Sunday/Monday, not Monday/Tuesday.

Guessing that Sunday Nov 5 game here will be played at 8pm, given (i) domestic mega ratings last year, and 8pm is a prime TV slot, and (ii) Raps have a home game at 6pm on the 5th.

TFC in playoffs should do fine against NFL Sunday night in Canada. NFL Sunday night drew 350K on average last year (late afternoon NFL game is much stronger in ratings, closer to a million). There are no eastern conference markets playing in 4pm NFL games that day, so the league don't have to think too much about the other matchup.

So weather could be a factor right out of the gate. Neither the NYCFC or Montreal home playoff games were overly affected last year, but it can be miserable in early November at 8pm on the lakeshore.

Oldtimer
09-15-2017, 06:22 AM
If TFC has home advantage by winning the supporters shield, does it get the second leg all the way through?

ensco
09-15-2017, 06:32 AM
If TFC has home advantage by winning the supporters shield, does it get the second leg all the way through?

Yes. Top seed plays second game at home. Only real value is that extra time in second leg, if it happens, is at home. (Which, come to think of it, can come in handy......)

molenshtain
09-15-2017, 06:36 AM
I just wrote what was essentially an opus about last year's playoffs, specifically how magical it was as a spectacle and how unlikely it was we'd all ever go through something like that. got deleted by accident.

I'm not going to write it out all again but the link below was done by someone in my section and covers to an extent most of the feelings I have about that night. Nothing will ever give me the same feeling of belonging, Of Euphoria, of solidarity and community as that night did - from the insane march into the stadium, to the rollercoaster ride happening on the pitch, to the rainy walk to Joe's where we sang songs to our new heroes, putting themselves forever in the lore of Toronto football club.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/the-passion-pain-and-joy-of-being-a-toronto-fc-fan/article33291742/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

II'm all for crushing every team in the playoffs on our way to the cup. That would certainly be a party in the stands and deserved by the team. But there's something about really Earning that win and to and lesser extent those series that really made it feel special. We had to have that run specifically to have this team this year.

*I'm not mentioning Seattle. IMO the real final was the conference finals. I'd imagine most people here would agree.*

ensco
09-15-2017, 07:41 AM
I feel like the second half of the 2017 regular season has just been a kind of extension of the 2016 playoff party.

We have had 6 or 7 games since the all star break where we just pasted good opposition. If anything, our level of dominance is just getting bigger.

Initial B
09-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Why did they push the conference finals back so late? They could have moved them up to the 18th and had the MLS cup finished by Dec 2. That week could be the difference between a 5C game and a -5C game.

ensco
09-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Why did they push the conference finals back so late? They could have moved them up to the 18th and had the MLS cup finished by Dec 2. That week could be the difference between a 5C game and a -5C game.

TV. They want those conf final games far away from peak college football and NFL so no Sat/Sun in November.

We changed their thinking with the ratings we got midweek last year.

College football conference championships are all on Sat Dec 2. Nobody wants to see FC Dallas up against a Texas-Oklahoma Big 12 title game.

OgtheDim
09-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Give players a week to recover from international duty and fly to wherever they need to get to.

Don't forget, some teams will still not charter in the playoffs.

General Woolfe
09-25-2017, 11:54 PM
I'm not 100% sure that having the second leg at hom is always an advantage. I think I'd rather the top seed have the choice of playing home or away first. Against certain sides it might be better to rack up a lead in the first leg which will demoralize the opponents to the point they themselves feel the tie is over.

Anyway it's a mute point, we've still gotta clinch that shield first

PizzaEatingYeti
09-26-2017, 12:26 AM
I'm not 100% sure that having the second leg at hom is always an advantage. I think I'd rather the top seed have the choice of playing home or away first. Against certain sides it might be better to rack up a lead in the first leg which will demoralize the opponents to the point they themselves feel the tie is over.

Anyway it's a mute point, we've still gotta clinch that shield first

Agree to disagree.
In the whole world in any two-legged knock-out competition having the second leg at home is considered an advantage.

Auzzy
10-02-2017, 10:25 PM
For a little pre-playoffs hype:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comments/73wzg9/we_will_rock_you_toronto_fc_2017_my_own_content/

Canary10
10-03-2017, 12:11 PM
So, wondering if there are any plans to expand the seating for this year's playoffs? We know from experience we can get 10,000 more out.

Oldtimer
10-03-2017, 12:19 PM
So, wondering if there are any plans to expand the seating for this year's playoffs? We know from experience we can get 10,000 more out.

They have been discussing options. I've read that they might add up to 10,000 seats.

Canary10
10-03-2017, 12:23 PM
They have been discussing options. I've read that they might add up to 10,000 seats.

Awesome! That would be amazing.

Detroit_TFC
10-03-2017, 02:37 PM
That is a good bit of business if they add seats, not only from gate revenue but also some of those band wagoners will decide to get ST next season.

Blindside16
10-03-2017, 11:32 PM
That is a good bit of business if they add seats, not only from gate revenue but also some of those band wagoners will decide to get ST next season.

2018 seasons tickets are already sold out, they would have to join the waitlist

Detroit_TFC
10-04-2017, 11:46 AM

I didn't know that! That's incredible!

kodiakTFC
10-04-2017, 12:43 PM

MLS Cup finals had 36,045 and this last week was 28, 979. So really the extra seats brought in about 7000ish. If we host the finals there is going to be real terrible ticket scarcity. Stub Hub prices will be out of this world and scalpers will be elated.

ensco
10-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Columbus is the team I don’t want to see. Tough defensive team. Quietly hotter than Atlanta right now.

Blindside16
10-05-2017, 12:55 AM
I didn't know that! That's incredible!

It really is. When the first made the announcement at one of the games a couple months ago I thought I misheard. The city has truly rallied around this team and I hope the support continues for years to come.

fergiejr
10-05-2017, 07:23 AM

They advertised joining the waitlist for 2018, but since the renewal period some have come up - or maybe the club released some more tickets.

I just checked, and there are memberships for sale.

Sec 205 27 seats
Sec 206 2 seats
Sec 207 3 seats
Sec 208 37 seats
Sec 209 83 seats
Sec 210 59 seats
Sec 211 10 seats
Sec 224 1 seat - Going for $1579 fwiw.

So a total of 222 seats left. That's not a bad re-up!

fergiejr
10-05-2017, 07:35 AM
I really want the playoff picture to be more clear but alas, we will have to wait.

Right now the East is almost locked up - just jockeying for position now. If NYRB wins this weekend, then we'll know WHO is in the playoffs in our conference, just not WHERE they land.

The west, well someone on here referred to it as the WILD WILD WEST, and that's what it is. Vancouver is the only team to have clinched, but you know that ONE OF Portland, Sporting or Seattle are in. With only Dallas (Slim chance), Sporting (likely in), Minnesota (slim chance on paper, not likely in) Colorado (eliminated) and Vancouver playing this weekend, the only one to really be able to clinch is Sporting.

If Dallas beats Colorado they move to 45 points, dropping RSL out.
If Minnesota beats Sporting, they move to 38 points, but stay in 9th pos.
If Sporting beats Minnesota, they move to 2nd and clinch.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

PTS

GP
GR
Max

Playoffs?

s - Toronto FC

Bye. Home Field Advantage

x - New York City FC

x - Atlanta United FC

Wildcard vs New York Red Bulls

x - Chicago Fire
Wildcard vs x - Columbus Crew SC

x - Columbus Crew SC
Wildcard @ x - Chicago Fire

New York Red Bulls
Wildcard @ x - Atlanta United FC

Montreal Impact
HOPE

New England Revolution

HOPE

Philadelphia Union

HOPE

Orlando City SC
HOPE

D.C. United
ELIMINATED

WESTERN CONFERENCE

PTS
GP
GR
Max
Playoffs?

x - Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Portland Timbers

Sporting Kansas City

Wildcard vs Real Salt Lake

Seattle Sounders FC

Wildcard vs Houston Dynamo

Houston Dynamo

Wildcard @ Seattle Sounders FC

Real Salt Lake

Wildcard @ Sporting Kansas City

San Jose Earthquakes
HOPE

FC Dallas
HOPE

Minnesota United FC

HOPE

Colorado Rapids
ELIMINATED

LA Galaxy
ELIMINATED

OgtheDim
10-05-2017, 10:00 AM
The MLS form guide is really useful to see who plays whom and who is doing well right now.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/results

ag futbol
10-05-2017, 10:41 AM
How is Vancouver is first place? They are meddling at best. The west is awful.

OgtheDim
10-05-2017, 10:58 AM

A consistent way of playing that most teams can't deal with. They avoid possession on purpose and counter attack up the middle with pace.

If we met them in the final, I'm confident of a 3+ goal win.

Yohan
10-05-2017, 10:58 AM

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good? Caps certainly do have a horseshoe up their butts, but they've really come together with some key players back from injury, team chemistry being good and new signings panning out right away. And they have ok depth. Even if they pretend to be Leicester with bunker and counter

Red4ever
10-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Im reaching here.

But it would be soooo great to see Minnesota run the table and sneak in. Big test at home vs KC, but after that they play a terrible LA team they have a showdown with SJ

A bridge too far? Almost certainly, but they hung with Altaata on the road so who knows.

Globetrotter
10-05-2017, 12:14 PM

Looking at just the table, it might appear that way without context. It could be a situation where they are all powerhouses that slug it out against each other, similar to how the SEC in NCAAF has been for a decade. They might have teams with 1 or 2 losses, but are still better than other schools with better records.

Soccer Mum
10-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Glad to have secured home advantage in the p******s. It will be interesting to see how we do against teams that are on a roll at the end of the season.

paul-collins
10-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Looking at just the table, it might appear that way without context. It could be a situation where they are all powerhouses that slug it out against each other,
TFC record against the west - 7-3-1 (2.18 PPG). Compare to 2.03 PPG overall.

West is not a bunch of powerhouses.

Detroit_TFC
10-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Im reaching here.

But it would be soooo great to see Minnesota run the table and sneak in. Big test at home vs KC, but after that they play a terrible LA team they have a showdown with SJ

A bridge too far? Almost certainly, but they hung with Altaata on the road so who knows.

I'd LOL (but secretly smile) if they made playoffs, especially after their ridiculously bad start.

Ben - D.O.W.
10-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Glad to have secured home advantage in the p******s. It will be interesting to see how we do against teams that are on a roll at the end of the season.

And who would that be? Columbus? No team is exactly hot right now, no one has better than 3 wins in their last 5 (and that includes TFC with 3 in 5). And if you're going back more than 5, TFC is the hot team, even with their 2 losses.

Soccer Mum
10-06-2017, 01:25 PM
And who would that be? Columbus? No team is exactly hot right now, no one has better than 3 wins in their last 5 (and that includes TFC with 3 in 5). And if you're going back more than 5, TFC is the hot team, even with their 2 losses.

Maybe no one in the first round, but Atlanta is hot right now.

paul-collins
10-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Don't believe the hype. The only team they've faced in the last month "hot streak" that is even close to playoffs is Dallas. All their results are at home. You have to go back to Aug 6 to see a real test, vs SKC (draw away)...

OgtheDim
10-07-2017, 09:46 PM
In the East now, its all about positioning.

Tie-breaking procedures (Number of wins, then GD, then GF, etc.)

We are going to finish first.

But none of the other 5 positions are settled yet.

Games to go

NYCFC
@ NER
vs. CBus

Atlanta
@NYRB
vs. Toronto

Chicago
vs. Philly
@ Houston

CBus
@ Orlando
@ NYCFC

NYRB
vs. Atlanta
@ DCU

Where they could finish

NYCFC - anywhere between 2nd & 5th
To finish 2nd, win 1 game & Atlanta does not win both games
To finish no worse then 3rd, win a game
To finish 5th, must lose both games while Atlanta gets 4 points & Chicago & CBus both win both games

Atlanta - anywhere between 2nd & 5th
To finish 2nd, they must win both games and NYCFC must not win another match
A win virtually guarantees a home playoff game to start
To finish 5th, CBus must get 4 more points then Atlanta & Chicago must get 2 more points

Chicago - anywhere between 2nd & 6th
To finish 2nd, they must win both games while NYC gets 1 or less points while Atlanta does not win both games
To finish 3rd, they must win both games while Atlanta does not win both games
To finish 6th, they must lose both games, CBus must beat NYC & NYRB must win twice while making up an 11 GD

Columbus - anywhere between 2nd & 6th
To finish 2nd, they must win both games, while NYC loses both games, Atlanta only wins 1 game & Chicago does not win both games
To finish 3rd, they must win both games, while Atlanta gets 3 points or less & Chicago does not win both games
To finish 6th, NYRB must win both games while Columbus does not win a game

NYRB
To finish 4th, must win both games while Columbus does not win a game & Chicago loses both games & they make up an 11 GD on Chicago
To finish 5th, must win both games while Columbus does not win a game

In my estimation, the most likely finishing scenario is

Toronto
NYC
Chicago
Atlanta
Columbus
NYRB

glaze
10-08-2017, 01:21 AM
We've been so dominant this year, that it's kinda ruined the suspense.
I expect nothing less than to once again host the MLS Cup.
As for stadium expansion, by this time last year the scaffolding was already going up. MLSE would be fools not to add additional seats in both end zones, similar to what they put up for the winter classic.

molenshtain
10-08-2017, 02:29 AM
We've been so dominant this year, that it's kinda ruined the suspense.
I expect nothing less than to once again host the MLS Cup.
As for stadium expansion, by this time last year the scaffolding was already going up. MLSE would be fools not to add additional seats in both end zones, similar to what they put up for the winter classic.

our playoff run this year certainly won't match last years drama for sure. I'd still like to go up against say, Atlanta or a columbus. Atatlanta just to shup them up, and columbus because we'd send 5k and have an amazing time.

It terms of north end expansion, form what I understand is very difficult due to the building behind the north end isn't going anywhere any time soon

OgtheDim
10-10-2017, 08:58 PM
So....we dodged a bullet there with the possibility of Jozy & Bradley heading off to Australia in mid November.

Of course there is now another issue about MLS in particular. Its going to be NASTY in US soccer circles for awhile & Bradley & Altidore are going to get some serious shit for what happened today.

spe18
10-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Well, the good news is Americans no longer have to play in that intercontinental playoff. However, believe it or not, the Americans are out of the world cup.

Auzzy
10-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Wow holy shit, unbelievable. T&T has a population of 1.3 million by the way.

RealG-TFC
10-10-2017, 09:06 PM
I cannot help but worry this is going to mess with our mojo. I hope Bradley and Jozy only use the playoffs as a way to build up from the low they're inevitably feeling right now

SoccMan2
10-10-2017, 09:08 PM
This is not good for MLS and soccer’s popularity in North America in general, soccer in North America will take a huge hit is the MLS strong enough to see this out , it’s going to get interesting.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-11-2017, 01:08 AM
Guys, the USMNT's "performance" is horrible news for the development of the league (MLS)...
The level of interest of the average people and more importantly of those in strong financial position (companies) to invest in anything related to MLS just has taken a huge shot in the nuts.

In fact this has set back the MLS with at least 4 years... but IMHO maybe with 6 years..
Be prepared that nobody else than a couple of tens of thousands of MLS die hard followers outside the 2 finalist team's fanbase will be watching on TV the MLS Cup final.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-11-2017, 01:14 AM
This is not good for MLS and soccer’s popularity in North America in general, soccer in North America will take a huge hit is the MLS strong enough to see this out , it’s going to get interesting.

Sorry man, only after I posted I saw you've written almost the same thing a couple of hours earlier.
These were my thoughts in the last 5 minutes of the US match, when it was announced that Panama is leading at home.

General Woolfe
10-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Sorry to see our neighbours to the south miss out on WC2018, however I'm glad we avoided the possibility of losing Bradley and Altidore to a 2-leg knockout tie smack in the middle of the MLS Playoffs.

Club before country.... (especially when it isn't my country)

General Woolfe
10-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Guys, the USMNT's "performance" is horrible news for the development of the league (MLS)...
The level of interest of the average people and more importantly of those in strong financial position (companies) to invest in anything related to MLS just has taken a huge shot in the nuts.

In fact this has set back the MLS with at least 4 years... but IMHO maybe with 6 years..
Be prepared that nobody else than a couple of tens of thousands of MLS die hard followers outside the 2 finalist team's fanbase will be watching on TV the MLS Cup final.
Can agree with you m8 that the WC is the be all and end all. Yes you might lose some fair weather fans, but are they really paying an attention to the MLS anyway? MLS will live or die by the quality of product it serves up. It might all be worth noting that the goals in other games which contributed to the USs downfall were scored by players playing in MLS. The league has improved dramatically in the past decade and I see no reason why it can't continue to grow. If you look look at WC winners you'll see they have strong domestic leagues and I think that's what comes first. Hopefully the Americans see this as a need to grow the domestic product in order to improve the international one. However, fundamentally I see no connection between tonight's result and the fortunes of MLS. A lot football fans I know put their club's fortunes way before that of their national team.

Oldtimer
10-11-2017, 07:41 AM
England has mostly sucked in their own game yet the EPL remains as popular as ever.

C.Ronaldo
10-11-2017, 07:41 AM
This better light a fire under Bradley's and jozys ass. Just as importantly, morrow should now get a fair shot as a usmnt starter, something to score another hatrick for

TFC Tifoso
10-11-2017, 08:28 AM
personally, I think this disappointment for Bradley and Altidore will motivate them further to win in MLS.....

fergiejr
10-11-2017, 08:30 AM
personally, I think this disappointment for Bradley and Altidore will motivate them further to win in MLS.....

I agree. Something to prove, unfinished business and all that.

denime
10-11-2017, 08:47 AM

Agree,this game vs Limpact might be a tough one for them after WC failure,but for playoffs I'm sure they will perform like before.

TFC Tifoso
10-11-2017, 09:39 AM
I agree. Something to prove, unfinished business and all that.

for sure....

Agree,this game vs Limpact might be a tough one for them after WC failure,but for playoffs I'm sure they will perform like before.

Yeah, Sunday might be tough for them, but I'm hoping much of the disappointment goes away for our USNT players the second the Supporters Shield comes out.....I'm very confident that they will be able to shake anything off fairly quickly...

They'd have been wise to get on the first thing smokin' back to Toronto last night/this morning, to get away from the backlash....at least they can be somewhat "protected" here in that regard.....

Redcoe15
10-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Perhaps lifting the Supporter's Shield on Sunday will help soothe over the wounds.

paul-collins
10-11-2017, 11:27 AM
This better light a fire under Bradley's and jozys ass. Just as importantly, morrow should now get a fair shot as a usmnt starter, something to score another hatrick for

They need new blood at goal too.

Red4ever
10-11-2017, 11:36 AM
England has mostly sucked in their own game yet the EPL remains as popular as ever.

England has sucked?

The hottest of hot takes. They qualify no problem almost every cycle yet arent good enough to be considered world class.

Far cry between that and sucks.

Greatest Ripoff
10-11-2017, 02:18 PM
England has sucked?

The hottest of hot takes. They qualify no problem almost every cycle yet arent good enough to be considered world class.

If you ask most people in England, they would agree that England sucks.

Derko
10-11-2017, 04:40 PM

They do!!

Red4ever
10-11-2017, 07:27 PM

Well I stand corrected then. If most people in England think they suck, then they suck.

glaze
10-11-2017, 10:24 PM
My last visit to England was during a Euro Cup where none of the British teams qualified.
These things happen.
It's a global game now, the only thing that this hurts is the endorsement money that could have come from a good WC run by the Americans.

molenshtain
10-11-2017, 10:35 PM
England has sucked?

They didn't qualify for 2012 euros.

The Dutch missed out on '84 and '86 before winning in 88.

There is a very good crop of players coming in who will be there for 2022. It's a setback not qualifying, but the world isn't collapsing.

fergiejr
10-12-2017, 08:01 AM
With Houston winning last night, SKC misses another opportunity to clinch.
Officially only Vanvouver has clinched in the West.

The East is jockeying for position.
In the West, we know that two of SKC, Portland and Seattle are going to make it for sure. Dallas is just hanging on.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
PTS
GP
GR
Max
Playoffs?

s - Toronto FC
Bye. Home Field Through

x - New York City FC
Bye. Home Field Conf Semi

x - Atlanta United FC
Wildcard vs x - New York Red Bulls

x - Chicago Fire

x - Columbus Crew SC

x - New York Red Bulls

Montreal Impact
ELIMINATED

New England Revolution
ELIMINATED

Philadelphia Union
ELIMINATED

Orlando City SC
ELIMINATED

D.C. United
ELIMINATED

WESTERN CONFERENCE
PTS
GP
GR
Max
Playoffs?

Bye. Home Field Conf Final

Sporting Kansas City

Portland Timbers
Wildcard vs FC Dallas

Seattle Sounders FC
Wildcard vs Houston Dynamo

Houston Dynamo
Wildcard @ Seattle Sounders FC

FC Dallas
Wildcard @ Portland Timbers

Real Salt Lake
HOPE

San Jose Earthquakes
HOPE

Minnesota United FC
ELIMINATED

Colorado Rapids
ELIMINATED

LA Galaxy
ELIMINATED

UpTheReds
10-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Did anyone get additional tickets for the Semi Final today? I got 3! They sold out fast!

leafsman
10-12-2017, 11:39 AM
I managed to get 4, was surprised I was successful lol

GerMc
10-12-2017, 12:12 PM
I got 4 as well, but I was on right at 11...

Red4ever
10-12-2017, 12:34 PM
I'll just say this with zero years of structural engineering under my belt: Why haven't we heard about expanded seating?

I gotta figure it won't happen. Maybe we are a little spoiled from last year but it seems like a real missed opportunity as every game would sell out in an instant.

If we thought last years MLS cup ticket situation was bad, man oh man. If we get there, finding tickets will be like bottling unicorn piss.

fergiejr
10-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Last year, SSHs were guaranteed that they would get a ticket. Not necessarily where they usually sat, but a ticket nonetheless. I wonder if this will still be the case if we get to the cup game and the league claws back a bunch of tickets. Hopefully FO took this into account and didn't sell more SS than could be accomodated for the cup final. That would be bad. Worst case, we all get a seat but no extra seats are available.

Cas87
10-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Last year, SSHs were guaranteed that they would get a ticket. Not necessarily where they usually sat, but a ticket nonetheless. I wonder if this will still be the case if we get to the cup game and the league claws back a bunch of tickets. Hopefully FO took this into account and didn't sell more SS than could be accomodated for the cup final. That would be bad. Worst case, we all get a seat but no extra seats are available.

When we clinched our playoff spot in September we are guaranteed our exact seats EXCLUDING MLS Cup. so MLSE took into account what happened last year and scalled back the guarantee (mind you they are only excluding you exact location, not the fact you will get a seat should we get through)

[QUOTE]
Toronto FC is the first team in MLS to clinch a 2017 Playoff spot. As a TFC Member here's what you need to know:

You have first access to your seat location for home playoff matches hosted at BMO Field, excluding MLS Cup
You will be charged for The Knock Out Round and Eastern Conference Semi-Final Playoff seats on September 29th
If you don't want your Playoff seats (Don't be crazy!) please call us at 416-360-GOAL (4625)
All Members will have access to purchase additional Playoff ticket (more information to come)

Come On You Reds!

[QUOTE]

UpTheReds
10-12-2017, 01:29 PM
I’ll be curious to see what’s available to the public tomorrow. I’m going to try and grab more.

Oldtimer
10-12-2017, 02:19 PM
I'll just say this with zero years of structural engineering under my belt: Why haven't we heard about expanded seating?

I gotta figure it won't happen. Maybe we are a little spoiled from last year but it seems like a real missed opportunity as every game would sell out in an instant.

If we thought last years MLS cup ticket situation was bad, man oh man. If we get there, finding tickets will be like bottling unicorn piss.

If they expand seating, it will only be further on in the playoffs, maybe only for the cup.

Cas87
10-12-2017, 02:31 PM
I say that if the Argos clinch the East Final in the CFL I could see the stand move a bit quicker as there would be 3 potential revenue making games to cover cost (2 TFC - East Final, MLS Cup & 1 CFL - East Final)(still wouldn't be up for TFC on November 5 though)

JT Red127
10-12-2017, 02:32 PM
If they expand seating, it will only be further on in the playoffs, maybe only for the cup.

I'm thinking its unlikely. We can only have a max of 3 home games, we know (assume) seating wont be expanded for the first one. If we move on, I'm skeptical they would add anything for what would be a max of two games. Possibly something in the north end since CFL would be done by that point, only if its easy to roll in and cheap.

Red4ever
10-12-2017, 02:58 PM
There is no way they do it. Argo east final (which may not happen) (and probably won't sell out BMO if it does) vs TFC's first playoff game still gives us the numbers any day.

If they were gonna do it, they would have done it with all three. They won't do it at all. Sad thing is, if they made the call today, I'm pretty sure there is still time.

6o bucks a game x 4000 seats is a quarter of a million bucks. Can't imagine it costs 250,000 to set up temp seating, and even if it does you make that back on beer and merch. To say nothing of what happens if we play more than one game. Unless my understanding of the situation / pricing is terrible, I don't understand this one.

OgtheDim
10-12-2017, 04:55 PM
IIRC, we have over 18K of SSH. If they don't do a temp stand, its going to be REALLY tough to get all those MLS seats and still guarantee every SSH gets a seat.

spe18
10-12-2017, 05:32 PM
I thought I saw somewhere posted they now have 21K season seat holders?

FootBallAZ
10-12-2017, 05:36 PM
I was on at 11. Only went for an extra pair. Got it 15 ms later. Better than my regular seats. Pricing went up I believe.

I already sold my ticket but may have another confirmed for the weekend will update

Blindside16
10-12-2017, 11:38 PM
It would not only be a PR nightmare but borderline financial suicide to not ensure that SSH's get guaranteed seats for MLS cup should we make it there. I cannot see them not rewarding those of us that have been at BMO through the years. By my math, if we get that far, there may only be 1,000 - 2,000 tickets for the general public(21K SSH, 5K to MLS & 2-3K to visiting team). If you thought the uproar was loud last year, can you imagine what it would be with 21K being told sorry??

Cas87
10-13-2017, 08:19 AM
It would not only be a PR nightmare but borderline financial suicide to not ensure that SSH's get guaranteed seats for MLS cup should we make it there. I cannot see them not rewarding those of us that have been at BMO through the years. By my math, if we get that far, there may only be 1,000 - 2,000 tickets for the general public(21K SSH, 5K to MLS & 2-3K to visiting team). If you thought the uproar was loud last year, can you imagine what it would be with 21K being told sorry??

I think with the FO wording all SSH will have seats but not your exact location from through the season.

Red4ever
10-13-2017, 08:43 AM
I think with the FO wording all SSH will have seats but not your exact location from through the season.

I could be wrong but i haven't seen that wording. It says "You have first access to your seat location for home playoff matches hosted at BMO Field, excluding MLS Cup" which I take to mean, youre good up until MLS cup. Then all bets are off.

TheGoodson
10-13-2017, 08:49 AM
It will be the same as last year... SSH have their seats to the MLS cup, but at which point they are guaranteed the amount of seats that they have just not necessarily the same location.

The only difference is that last year they did not advise that SSH would be moved from their seats in the final in advance

Derko
10-13-2017, 10:09 AM
It will be the same as last year... SSH have their seats to the MLS cup, but at which point they are guaranteed the amount of seats that they have just not necessarily the same location.

The only difference is that last year they did not advise that SSH would be moved from their seats in the final in advance

I just don't get the logic of not allowing SSH to get their same seats for the MLS cup final. I have 3 seats in Section 110, 2 are supporter's section seats and 1 is not. Last year I got my 2 seats in the Supporter's section but my 3rd seat was way over on the west side stands, it really sucked.

TheGoodson
10-13-2017, 10:33 AM
I just don't get the logic of not allowing SSH to get their same seats for the MLS cup final. I have 3 seats in Section 110, 2 are supporter's section seats and 1 is not. Last year I got my 2 seats in the Supporter's section but my 3rd seat was way over on the west side stands, it really sucked.

As we all discussed last year, the finals is not a TFC event like every other game it is run by MLS. So you get a seat, but not necessarily your actual seat. There are corporate sponsors that the league brings in for the final which displaces fans, but at the end of the day I think we can all agree that as much as it does suck at least we would be in the final at home.

I would call your rep to see if they can do something based on your unique circumstances.

whositwhatnow
10-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Just got my tickets with presale code. Got lucky I think I have someone’s season seats

UpTheReds
10-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Well, one thing is clear this year. The demand for tickets is even greater than last years playoff run. I got shut out of this presale. If you’re waiting for the general sale at 3pm all I can say is get multiple devices going and good luck!

MoodyHeath
10-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Damn, I got shut out using multiple devices all day today :(
If anyone has an extra pair let me know (Y) otherwise I'll be outside banging a drum during the game haha

General Woolfe
10-13-2017, 04:06 PM
So I see the US are to play two friendlies in the November FIFA window. Hopefully this doesn't rob us of Bradley and Altidore for the Conference Semis. If we do it's an absolute joke.

Red CB Toronto
10-13-2017, 04:44 PM
So I see the US are to play two friendlies in the November FIFA window. Hopefully this doesn't rob us of Bradley and Altidore for the Conference Semis. If we do it's an absolute joke.
I can assure you when it comes to November friendlies Michael and Jozy will be nowhere near them in anyway. In recent times this has been the case and for sure will be once again.

Red CB Toronto
10-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Well, one thing is clear this year. The demand for tickets is even greater than last years playoff run. I got shut out of this presale. If you’re waiting for the general sale at 3pm all I can say is get multiple devices going and good luck!
Watch for a release of GA tickets.

whositwhatnow
10-14-2017, 05:23 AM
Well Argos clinched playoff spot last night with TiCat loss. I don’t see them adding. More stands. Argos can’t fill seats period.
“The Stamps defeated Hamilton 28-25 which locked the Argos into either hosting the East Division semifinal on Nov. 12 or the division final on Nov

Blindside16
10-14-2017, 12:17 PM

That is what I assumed as well. Which, even though it is a bit disappointing that I may not be with the people I have spent years beside, as long as I am there to support my club, I am ok with it.

fergiejr
10-14-2017, 04:34 PM
That is what I assumed as well. Which, even though it is a bit disappointing that I may not be with the people I have spent years beside, as long as I am there to support my club, I am ok with it.

It is worth noting that I was able to get my seats for the cup final last year during the relocation window. I logged in just before my appointment and made sure all was ready. The guy who usually sits behind me was one row up and the guy in front had his four about 10 rows down. So although my TFC Family was spread out, we were at least, for the most part, close. ;-)

molenshtain
10-14-2017, 05:50 PM
The blue team touring various venues around the tri-state area have rescheduled their playoff game because Rutgers needs it for a wrestling tournament or something. And they can't use Citi field because that's a golf course now I guess.

It's nice to remember that bad things can happen to bad people too. Super good news.

glaze
10-15-2017, 01:19 PM
alright reading this thread has me a bit paranoid. Just to confirm, tix for the eastern final and MLS cup have not gone on sale yet to SSH? We've only bought the semi final?
My seat mates will possibly literally kill me if I missed a deadline!

paul-collins
10-15-2017, 01:38 PM
No worries, they haven't tried to sell us Conf Final tix yet. It'll be negative option anyway - club bills you unless you opt out, I think...

fergiejr
10-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Check your invoices in your account. It shows what seats were charged. I got charged for both conf semi and final. BUT it might be different for everyone. Check to be sure and contact your tix rep.

paul-collins
10-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Check your invoices in your account. It shows what seats were charged. I got charged for both conf semi and final. BUT it might be different for everyone. Check to be sure and contact your tix rep.
Originally I was charged for knockout and semi, and then when we clinched they decided to only charge for the semi. No conf final.

billyfly
10-15-2017, 07:54 PM

I have no tkts in my Account Manger. Hmmm

wopchop
10-15-2017, 08:08 PM
My account is setup so that I need to opt out and I have only been charged for the Conference Semi-Finals.

I don't see anything in my inbox about them charging for Conference Finals, just the original email saying that they would charge for Knock Round AND Semi Finals, and the second email saying that they would wait until after Sat Sept 30th game before charging either for 2 or 1 games.

OgtheDim
10-15-2017, 08:24 PM
I have no tkts in my Account Manger. Hmmm

Check under completed invoices

billyfly
10-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Check under completed invoices

Yeah I did and found them. Worried there for a sec.

Thanks

fergiejr
10-16-2017, 03:45 AM
Busy weekend in the standings. 4 more teams clinch in the west (finally!) and there is one spot that can be had by any of 3 teams. San Jose is just hanging onto that spot with their fingertips. Dallas drops below the line.

But in the East, here is the situation.

NYRB can finish no higher than 6th place. 2nd in the conference is anyone's game right now.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
PTS
GP
GR
Max
Playoffs?

s - Toronto FC
Bye. Home Field Through

x - New York City FC

x - Chicago Fire
Wildcard vs x - New York Red Bulls

x - Atlanta United FC

x - Columbus Crew SC

x - New York Red Bulls

New England Revolution
ELIMINATED

Montreal Impact
ELIMINATED

Philadelphia Union
ELIMINATED

Orlando City SC
ELIMINATED

D.C. United
ELIMINATED

WESTERN CONFERENCE
PTS
GP
GR
Max
Playoffs?

Bye. Home Field Conf Final

x - Portland Timbers

x - Seattle Sounders FC
Wildcard vs San Jose Earthquakes

x - Sporting Kansas City
Wildcard vs x - Houston Dynamo

x - Houston Dynamo
Wildcard @ x - Sporting Kansas City

San Jose Earthquakes
Wildcard @ x - Seattle Sounders FC

FC Dallas
HOPE

Real Salt Lake
HOPE

Minnesota United FC
ELIMINATED

Colorado Rapids
ELIMINATED

LA Galaxy
ELIMINATED

We play Atlanta away. Atlanta will be wanting to improve their seat. If NYCFC and Chicago lose, they will get the bye by beating us.
NYCFC plays Columbus. IF NYCFC wins this they are untouched in 2nd and get the bye regardless of how Atlanta finishes.
If Columbus wins, they need a loss by Chicago and Atlanta to get to 2nd overall and the bye.
Chicago plays Houston who is not going to catch Portland for 2nd in the West.

MartinUtd
10-16-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm calling it - NYC falls out of 2nd.

Chicago is going to be in tough against Houston who will be playing for home advantage in the wildcard game (a KC draw and Houston wins puts Houston in 4th).

In any case there are way too many variables to figure this out now. I just hope we don't end up in Columbus... total shithole of a city and barely worth the trip.

Blindside16
10-16-2017, 02:18 PM
It is worth noting that I was able to get my seats for the cup final last year during the relocation window. I logged in just before my appointment and made sure all was ready. The guy who usually sits behind me was one row up and the guy in front had his four about 10 rows down. So although my TFC Family was spread out, we were at least, for the most part, close. ;-)

I did the same last year as well and was fortunate enough to retain my seats. Only 2 of my TFC family were no where near us. Like I said at the end of the day as long as I can get a ticket for the final, I will be content

Red4ever
10-18-2017, 04:48 PM
When do our tickets go into our account manager?

Anyone know?

Redpunkfiddle
10-18-2017, 05:10 PM
When do our tickets go into our account manager?

Anyone know?

Won't we need a date ? And that could TBD until the knockout is done?

Red4ever
10-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Cheers

Makes sense to have an opponent. Nervous about promising people seats.

spe18
10-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Cheers

Makes sense to have an opponent. Nervous about promising people seats.

I think that the game @ BMO will be on November 5. The main question is the time.

Redpunkfiddle
10-18-2017, 07:58 PM
I think that the game @ BMO will be on November 5. The main question is the time.

Right- I was thinking away leg which is tbd.

Blindside16
10-19-2017, 12:33 AM

They won't release a time until after the knockout round is complete. I think it has alot to do with what the match ups would be (i.e. TV revenue in prime time).

sidvan
10-19-2017, 07:27 AM
November 5th is confirmed date - time TBD

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/23/audi-2017-mls-cup-playoffs-schedule-revealed-final-be-played-dec-9

fergiejr
10-20-2017, 07:11 AM
From Larson's article yesterday, MLSE is adding seats to BMO. Not a lot, but some.

BMO CONFIGURATION
Capacity at BMO Field for this year’s playoffs will be roughly 5,000 below what it was during last year’s conference final and MLS Cup. The Toronto Sun has learned MLSE won’t be building 5,000 temporary seats above the south end.
Toronto FC ownership will, however, be adding temporary bleachers (1,000) seats behind the north goal while selling additional makeshift suites on the south concourse, above the supporters’ end.
Toronto FC’s first playoff game (Nov. 5) is “essentially sold out,” though the aforementioned additional seats will go on sale Oct. 27. Non-season seat holders can get access to playoff pre-sales by downloading the team’s app.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/19/atlanta-denies-claims-of-kicking-red-bulls-players

flatpicker
10-20-2017, 07:55 AM
From Larson's article yesterday, MLSE is adding seats to BMO. Not a lot, but some.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/19/atlanta-denies-claims-of-kicking-red-bulls-players

"Makeshift suites" above the southend???

Is this going to be a row of tool sheds set up along there?

OgtheDim
10-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Wondering how they do that with the disabled seating.

fergiejr
10-20-2017, 01:26 PM

https://i.imgur.com/rd9RZdP.jpg

fergiejr
10-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Wondering how they do that with the disabled seating.

Probably behind the "velvet rope" so to speak. Leave one row against the rail and then put bleachers up or something. Maybe something like this at the Texans stadium.

https://i.imgur.com/R3g2MXB.jpg

OgtheDim
10-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Pah...make it with CHEP pallets or go home.

https://chepedia.chep.com/media/19949/sculptures-by-the-sea-pallet-pavillion_280x288.jpg

cmonyoureds
10-20-2017, 01:54 PM

"Makeshift suites" A.K.A a bunch seats they can call "suite level" and see for gobs more $$$$ than the "temp stands"

flatpicker
10-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Will they be heated? I might want one. lol

paul-collins
10-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Will they be heated? I might want one. lol
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/ice-fishing-hut-orange-yellow-cabin-lake-quebec-49803676.jpg

Red CB Toronto
10-22-2017, 10:44 PM
Guess there is only left for the Reds to do ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4

ensco
10-23-2017, 07:27 AM
So I disagreed with going full strength yesterday, but those who said Vanney should turned out to be right.

No one got hurt (for us anyway, although Atlanta may have suffered major injuries)

Both Seba and Jozy got some mojo back/going

The booing of Bradley and Altidore was a huge gift. What a bunch of ingrates/losers those Atlanta fans were, Michael and Jozy bleed red, white and blue, but that was just the tonic. Our USMNT guys are going to be ANGRY going into the playoffs

I want Atlanta and not Columbus or NYRB next week. The latter two teams play tougher at the back.

Cuppy
10-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Guess there is only left for the Reds to do ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4
and that folks is it. its really that simple

Hamilton_Red
10-23-2017, 09:08 AM
So I disagreed with going full strength yesterday, but those who said Vanney should turned out to be right.

No one got hurt (for us anyway, although Atlanta may have suffered major injuries)

The booing of Bradley and Altidore was a huge gift. What a bunch of ingrates/losers those Atlanta fans were, Michael and Jozy bleed red, white and blue, but that was just the tonic. Our USMNT guys are going to be ANGRY going into the playoffs

I want Atlanta and not Columbus or NYRB next week. The latter two teams play tougher at the back.

I think that you are right about that. Columbus and NYRB can both park the bus when they want to and have the danger players to score. We will score 3 in the away leg against Atlanta and also have the capability to shut them down when we need to. I think that we will see Bradley in destroyer mode now.

stevep
10-23-2017, 02:28 PM

according to oddsmakers 30 chance we play atlanta next week.
if you assume tie is 50/50 in overtime
based on todays odds/probabilities
atlanta win 55% chicago win %55.
.55X.55=.30 both teams win

both atlanta and chicago have to win fort tfc to play atlanta.

ensco
10-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Every last one of these guys has TFC beating Seattle in the final. :eek6::eek6:

http://www.totalmls.net/blog/2017/10/25/tmls-staff-mls-cup-brackets

FootBallAZ
10-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Received an e-mail that tomorrow they are releasing an additional 1000 Seats on the budweiser patio, pre sale begins at 10 AM!

stevep
10-25-2017, 06:49 PM
according to oddsmakers 30 chance we play atlanta next week.
if you assume tie is 50/50 in overtime
based on todays odds/probabilities
atlanta win 55% chicago win %55.
.55X.55=.30 both teams win

both atlanta and chicago have to win fort tfc to play atlanta.

updated odds now 40% chance tfc plays atlanta next round

OgtheDim
10-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Likely a bit of money came in for Atlanta - adoring BBC article will do that.

TFC1154ever
10-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Completely empty in Chicago. That’s not a good look.

Canary10
10-25-2017, 08:09 PM
updated odds now 40% chance tfc plays atlanta next round

Doesn't look like that's happening.

Hamilton_Red
10-25-2017, 08:35 PM
95% Red Bulls now

OgtheDim
10-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Tonight's game is a reminder that MLS refs swallow their whistles during the playoffs. Could have been a couple of yellows and should have been a red.

Expect NYRB to come out mugging Jozy & Seba.

tfcfans
10-25-2017, 09:07 PM
NYRB it is.....

OgtheDim
10-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Reminder - No game thread until they announce day and time.

fergiejr
10-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Reminder - No game thread until they announce day and time.

So you're saying I have to do actual work at work tomorrow? Sheesh!!

OgtheDim
10-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Well, that too, but also its not fair to people who scan the topics to not have that info in the title - a lot of people are going to be wondering when and what day the game is. Spec/crac/talk will happen but the game thread is there for information as well.

Edit: and a shout out to all those who earlier in the season reminded me of that.

Detroit_TFC
10-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Wowowow Chicago was terrible tonight. Dax McCarty did what he could but everyone else was on vacation already.

ensco
10-26-2017, 07:02 AM
There is absolutely no excuse for the times and dates of the first leg of the TFC-NYRB and Van-Sea not to be set and posted already.

These scenarios were known.

The league only has 3 or 4 days to sell tickets to these games. Campaigns should be launched automatically overnight.

Amateur hour.

fergiejr
10-26-2017, 07:55 AM
LEG 1 @VAN: Oct 29 - 8:30 PM ET
ESPN, TSN 1 & 4, TVAS2

LEG 2 @SEA: Nov 2 - Time TBD
FS1, FOX Deportes, TSN, TVAS

Vancouver/Seattle leg1 is already posted.
I'm wearing out my F5 key now on the MLS website.

Cas87
10-26-2017, 08:02 AM
LEG 1 @VAN: Oct 29 - 8:30 PM ET
ESPN, TSN 1 & 4, TVAS2

LEG 2 @SEA: Nov 2 - Time TBD
FS1, FOX Deportes, TSN, TVAS

Vancouver/Seattle leg1 is already posted.
I'm wearing out my F5 key now on the MLS website.

Got to love when you share a stadium with an NFL team. Throws everything out of wack for scheduling.

TFC63
10-26-2017, 08:17 AM
I wonder what needs to happen tonight for TFC to get the Tuesday game(?)

GerMc
10-26-2017, 08:19 AM
For those of you still interested in getting tickets to the Nov 5 game, don't forget the additional pre-sale starting at 10 am this morning.

whositwhatnow
10-26-2017, 09:03 AM
ticekts on sale hurry

Blindside16
10-26-2017, 09:08 AM
If MLS live is to be believed, which considering they don't have a date and time yet for Leg 1, they have Leg 2 scheduled for a 3pm kickoff. This may only be a place holder, I am not sure.

daner90
10-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Shut out this morning

benito
10-26-2017, 09:14 AM
Anyone able to connect to the presale link in their email? I keep getting errors.

whositwhatnow
10-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Anyone able to connect to the presale link in their email? I keep getting errors.

doesnt look like it worked with that link, just got to regular Ticketmaster site, it may be too late now.

whositwhatnow
10-26-2017, 09:16 AM
GA admission left 70.00 plus fees

FootBallAZ
10-26-2017, 09:19 AM
i have access if anyone wants,
i have GA and section 207-223 row 3 is best but some obstructed view.
hit me up

GerMc
10-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Looks like Lodeiro just got called up for two Uruguay friendlies in November...in Europe. Seems a little crazy in the middle of a playoff run.

Seattle Sounders call-ups

Nicolas Lodeiro (https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/yoshimar-yotun) (M)
URU
Friendlies

Nov. 10 at POL; Nov. 14 at AUT

denime
10-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Looks like Lodeiro just got called up for two Uruguay friendlies in November...in Europe. Seems a little crazy in the middle of a playoff run.

Seattle Sounders call-ups

Nicolas Lodeiro (https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/yoshimar-yotun) (M)
URU
Friendlies

Nov. 10 at POL; Nov. 14 at AUT

There are no play-off games in that period,MLS is taking two weeks off,conf. finials are from Nov.21st.

TFC John
10-26-2017, 10:36 AM
There is absolutely no excuse for the times and dates of the first leg of the TFC-NYRB and Van-Sea not to be set and posted already.

These scenarios were known.

The league only has 3 or 4 days to sell tickets to these games. Campaigns should be launched automatically overnight.

Amateur hour.

Please save me me from reading 6 pages. Now that the opponent is known, why can’t they say when the game is? NYRB have their own stadium. Surely they can use it anytime they need to. I thought the 2 possible dates was because one team couldn’t get the date the league wanted and no one knew who or if they would be playing. Has anyone given an official reason why we don’t know the date by now?

GerMc
10-26-2017, 10:47 AM
There are no play-off games in that period,MLS is taking two weeks off,conf. finials are from Nov.21st.

It is true that there are no games during the window, but do they really need Seattle's best player for two friendlies a couple of thousand miles away? I know there is always a trade-off for players who play for club and country, but you would think there were other options for Uruguay in November. I guess that is too much to ask, and that we are lucky that Altidore and Bradley aren't being called up, though that would have been for meaningful games if the USMNT had made the playoff.

paul-collins
10-26-2017, 04:13 PM
I hope the game is on Tuesday. Pitch is going to be waterlogged Monday. (Check the weather)

OgtheDim
10-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Well the good thing is Harrison NJ weather says rain ending Monday morning. 3 inches the day before ain't gonna help but that stadium's pitch is one of the best in the country.

paul-collins
10-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Well the good thing is Harrison NJ weather says rain ending Monday morning. 3 inches the day before ain't gonna help but that stadium's pitch is one of the best in the country.
3" is if they're lucky; ground will be saturated, and worst case could see 7 or 8" on top of the soaked ground. Let's hope the pitch drainage is up to the task.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/heavy-rain-flood-risk-strong-winds-noreaster-florida-maine-new-york-south-north-carolina-maryland-cape-cod-rhode-island-new-jersey-boston-pennsylvania-northeast-east-coast/88223/

Edited to note that if the Passaic river floods, there could be a whole other problem...

Blindside16
10-27-2017, 12:02 AM
Game times for the most part are up.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-cup-playoffs/2017/bracket

whositwhatnow
10-27-2017, 07:42 AM
not happy about the 3PM start for leg 2 on Nov 5 :(

fergiejr
10-27-2017, 07:45 AM
not happy about the 3PM start for leg 2 on Nov 5 :(

Keep in mind that this is the day that the clocks go back too. Daylight Savings Time ends on Nov 5th.

Joe Kool
10-27-2017, 08:26 AM
With three Leg 2 games on Nov 5th I guess they want to probably schedule them back to back on TV so someone had to get the early game and it ended up being us. Hopefully all goes well and we get a night game the next round. There is just something more to the ambience when playing at night under the lights. One game at a time though. Got to take care of NYRB first which won't be easy by any means.

OgtheDim
10-27-2017, 01:54 PM
If we make it to the conference finals, we are guaranteed a night home game- Nov 28 or 30.

ensco
10-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Funny to me that they put TFC largely against a 1pm Giants game on Nov 5.

Even though they suck this year, the Giants are a ratings behemoth in NY.

It should be TFC at 5pm, NYCFC hosting at 7pm, Portland-Houston at 9pm (well clear of the Texans, who play at 1pm also)

OgtheDim
10-27-2017, 02:29 PM
I think this is a TSN screwup.

They think the Vancouver Seattle game is on the 5th, so scheduled us at 3 and the Vancouver game at 5.

The Vancouver game is actually being played on Nov 2nd.

If you look at the TSN schedule, that's what they have done.

Somebody point this out to Manning and see if he can get it changed.

ensco
10-27-2017, 03:53 PM

They think the Vancouver Seattle game is on the 5th, so scheduled us at 3 and the Vancouver game at 5.

My god , I think you're right.

This is unbelievable.

I take it back. I called this delay in announcing scheduling “amateur hour”, but it's actually incompetent hour. Apologies to all amateurs, don’t hate me.

Red CB Toronto
10-27-2017, 04:28 PM
Regardless of the error, why would we want it changed?

Whitbyreds
10-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Hoping this is the first of three road trips home for me!!!

OgtheDim
10-28-2017, 06:06 AM
Sundown on November 5 is 5:03 pm

A game at 5 is a game completely under the lights

A game at 3 is a game where it gets dark right at the end.

MUCH prefer a game under the lights. Better atmosphere, louder crowd.

whositwhatnow
10-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Keep in mind that this is the day that the clocks go back too. Daylight Savings Time ends on Nov 5th.

im coming back from south bend indiana that day and not going to make it back on time :(

backbeat
10-28-2017, 05:58 PM
What advantage does Toronto get as the shield winner in the play-offs?

Not much imho....

I like Sacha Kljestan's comment on the Red Bulls site that the higher seed should get a definite advantage over the lower seed. He thinks maybe something like Mexico where the lower seed has to win to progress and the higher seed with a tie or a win progress.

around the 2:15 minute mark Sacha comments on seeding:

https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/post/2017/10/28/record-sacha-kljestan-102817?autoplay=true

Globetrotter
10-28-2017, 06:01 PM
You play to win the game.

MightyDM
10-29-2017, 02:02 AM
Agreed. Football matches should be at 3 on Saturday, not Sunday.

Detroit_TFC
10-30-2017, 08:50 PM
I know Houston's had a rough few months but that pitch, oh my. Does the Dynamo even have a groundskeeper on staff?

denime
10-31-2017, 05:52 AM
I know Houston's had a rough few months but that pitch, oh my. Does the Dynamo even have a groundskeeper on staff?

They do,however Dynamo is sharing that stadium with Texas Southern college football and women soccer team,not enough time for grass to recover.

Detroit_TFC
10-31-2017, 08:51 AM
They do,however Dynamo is sharing that stadium with Texas Southern college football and women soccer team,not enough time for grass to recover.

They may have to upgrade to Desso Grassmaster or some other hybrid surface that is more sturdy. BBVA Compass isn't the only place with a bad pitch, Sporting Park (or whatever it is currently named) has been terrible from the time it opened.

Auzzy
10-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Does Houston have sub-surface drainage & heating? Even a grass surface doesn't have to be in such bad shape. I've noticed that in other seasons as well. Especially considering the wear the Houston pitch gets, they don't seem to have adequate systems & maintenance in place.

denime
10-31-2017, 09:35 AM
They may have to upgrade to Desso Grassmaster or some other hybrid surface that is more sturdy. BBVA Compass isn't the only place with a bad pitch, Sporting Park (or whatever it is currently named) has been terrible from the time it opened.

It was mentioned it last night, they(Dynamo) switched to some Florida type grass year and a half ago,problem they have is to much moisture/rain etc. and apparently grass was dying fast,new one is suppose to be better. If that is better ,can't imagine how bad was previous grass.

ensco
10-31-2017, 09:50 AM
Based on the western playoff games as a whole, the MLS Final is going to be a walk in the cake for the eastern team, especially (*knocks wood*) for one eastern team in particular

James17930
10-31-2017, 09:53 AM
So how worried should we be about Vasquez?

FrameworthSport
10-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Hey TFC fans! Come meet Sebastian Giovinco, Jose Altidore, & Tosaint Ricketts on November 12th at the Toronto Sport Card Expo. Frameworth is hosting public autograph signings with each athlete. Get their autograph and a photograph. Learn more at http://sportcardexpo.com/ or contact us directly at info@frameworth.com. Go Reds!

TheGoodson
10-31-2017, 12:07 PM
Based on the western playoff games as a whole, the MLS Final is going to be a walk in the cake for the eastern team, especially (*knocks wood*) for one eastern team in particular

Agreed, I have been watching the other playoff matches and they all have been terrible. The gulf in talent between the east and west is enormous.

ag futbol
10-31-2017, 06:34 PM
Agreed, I have been watching the other playoff matches and they all have been terrible. The gulf in talent between the east and west is enormous.
Agreed.

I can’t help but watch Vancouver play and think we’d roll them without a second thought... yet they’re somehow competitive in the west.

The biggest difference I notice is in the midfield play. Way less discipline in terms of shape and the ball moves way slower.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-01-2017, 12:19 AM

This!
This TFC game in New Jersey was so much above all the other playoff games in technical quality (including the 1st round direct elimination games).
What do you guys think: it was because the Energy Drinks or because of TFC? :)

The bad thing is that because I think a lots of footy fans all over the World are tuning into MLS come playoffs time, the shit quality of these games gives a very bad picture about the quality of our league...

OgtheDim
11-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Nah...the quality of football here matches that of the Championship. Saw some of Ipswich v Norwich the other week. About the same.

Oldtimer
11-01-2017, 08:04 AM
The French second division is significantly worse than MLS currently and it gets good viewership.

Prof
11-01-2017, 08:55 AM

I disagree with this. The teams from the West are playing a very conservative style of play. The East teams are playing wide open. Look what happened to NYCFC last night though. They should have parked the bus after the red card, but didn't and now they are most likely eliminated early again. Defense wins Championships. It's not always pretty but effective.

TheGoodson
11-01-2017, 10:07 AM
I disagree with this. The teams from the West are playing a very conservative style of play. The East teams are playing wide open. Look what happened to NYCFC last night though. They should have parked the bus after the red card, but didn't and now they are most likely eliminated early again. Defense wins Championships. It's not always pretty but effective.

I get playing defensive, but there is a difference...

The teams in the west are all playing not to loose vs playing to win. I would take any team in the east over any team in the west and I have watched most of every single playoff game.

ManUtd4ever
11-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Nah...the quality of football here matches that of the Championship. Saw some of Ipswich v Norwich the other week. About the same.

Agreed. We've come a long way.

General Woolfe
11-01-2017, 05:14 PM

There's still a risk of injury. I'll be apoplectic if Bradley and Altidore get called up for a stupid meaningless game against Portugal ESPECIALLY after the harassment theyve suffered from opposing fans recently

General Woolfe
11-01-2017, 05:19 PM
What advantage does Toronto get as the shield winner in the play-offs?

Not much imho....

I like Sacha Kljestan's comment on the Red Bulls site that the higher seed should get a definite advantage over the lower seed. He thinks maybe something like Mexico where the lower seed has to win to progress and the higher seed with a tie or a win progress.

around the 2:15 minute mark Sacha comments on seeding:

https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/post/2017/10/28/record-sacha-kljestan-102817?autoplay=true

Best solution would be to have one off games for the semis and the conference final. Highest seed gets homefield. MLS would never go for the loss in revenue though

Initial B
11-02-2017, 08:03 AM
Doesn't have to be a loss in revenue if they increase the number of games in a season. If they increase the number of regular season games to 36-38, then that would increase the revenue for all teams regardless if they make the playoffs or not.

portu
11-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Best solution would be to have one off games for the semis and the conference final. Highest seed gets homefield. MLS would never go for the loss in revenue though
No one is gonna like this but I'd prefer a more NA style of playoffs, just take top 4 of each conference and have them do a best 5.

Let the higher seed pick the three games they'd prefer out of 5 game schedule over 1 and a half weeks after decision day.
Then continue on with that until a 1 game final.

magmadragon
11-03-2017, 10:45 AM
So is this Mike reading this?

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/926461262778720256

Canary10
11-03-2017, 12:09 PM
No one is gonna like this but I'd prefer a more NA style of playoffs, just take top 4 of each conference and have them do a best 5.

Let the higher seed pick the three games they'd prefer out of 5 game schedule over 1 and a half weeks after decision day.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as a best of kind of structure. But there is a reason you get the worst soccer in one-off type playoffs. The stakes are so high and little incentive to really go for it. Frankly, this is the reason World Cup soccer is kind of shit for entertainment. I'd way rather watch league games than World Cup games, and certainly 75% of the MLS playoff games I've seen this year.

James17930
11-05-2017, 05:17 PM
So after that shitshow, next game should probably be 4-5-1 with Ricketts up top.

But my confidence has been a bit shaken, it must be said.

rydermike
11-05-2017, 08:18 PM

No way. If MLS wants to be on par with Europe tier 2 (Portugal, Belgium, maybe French leagues) - [they'll never get to EPL, LA Liga, Serie A status], then you have to use the Euro style, which the 2 leg tie is.

portu
11-10-2017, 10:53 AM
No way. If MLS wants to be on par with Europe tier 2 (Portugal, Belgium, maybe French leagues) - [they'll never get to EPL, LA Liga, Serie A status], then you have to use the Euro style, which the 2 leg tie is.
Respectfully disagree. Respect and status come with the acquisition and production of quality players. Has nothing to do with format.

rydermike
11-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Respectfully disagree. Respect and status come with the acquisition and production of quality players. Has nothing to do with format.

They already laugh that we have playoffs to decide a champion over using the season title. Making the playoffs even more North American with 3 to 5 game series, even more so. Plus that would require lengthening the season more, or shortening the regular season.

ag futbol
11-10-2017, 09:55 PM
They already laugh that we have playoffs to decide a champion over using the season title. Making the playoffs even more North American with 3 to 5 game series, even more so. Plus that would require lengthening the season more, or shortening the regular season.
Right. And they’ll laugh after too regardless of what the rules are cause Europeans enjoy making fun of Americans playing soccer in general.

Caring what these people think is pointless.

portu
11-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Right. And they’ll laugh after too regardless of what the rules are cause Europeans enjoy making fun of Americans playing soccer in general.

Retweet

mcolvy
11-11-2017, 07:20 AM

Thank you. And I’m tired of the assumption that just because Europe does it, and they are the highest level of play, then it has to be considered the right way.

Playoffs -

Champions league Soccer is far better than domestic competition. Why? When you get to the knockout stages it’s playoffs - heart, intensity, everything on the line, it’s where another measure of the players comes out... being clutch. Those are the sports moments that I’d die for and in domestic soccer we never get them.

Playoffs or a knockout are the only way to crown a true champion. Please try to find an argument against this, because there is none.

The same people who bark about the European style soccer league format look over to the basketball world and agree that MJ is the greatest of all time... in part because of his performance in the playoff finals. And Lebron gets ripped apart against that same criteria... lacking top performances in those crucial moments.

So I’m confused. Sports are sports. It’s team competition...the best way to crown a champion should be somewhat similar (keeping in mind limitations or nuaces of the game such as game to rest day ratio). The domestic European soccer format is an old exhausted system that doesn’t test a team’s or player’s ability to perform when it’s all on the line.

Messi vs Ronaldo - this debate has gotten very North American and traditional euro guys criticize Messi for not performing in knockout matches when everything is on the line.. If they value that quality in measuring performance, then why the hell doesn’t the domestic competition require that same quality from the players? If it is a quality that matters to us?

Parity - I prefer a higher amount of competitive matches, rather than teams that play an entire season of 10 men behind the ball. Some of the lowest finishing MLS teams, when playing at home, were playing attacking football against playoff-caliber teams. I like that.

Perfect parity shouldn’t be the goal, because it is unrealistic with different owners and markets, but some level of parity improves the league’s overall quality of play. TFCs/or old LA Galaxys should come and go, but I hate La Liga where we all know which 3 teams will finish atop the league every single year.

Playoffs also gives mid-lower teams something to play for deep into the season. This adds to the parity.

I have another 20 paragraphs ready to go. But I’ll conclude by saying that the MLS doesn’t have the perfect system. They are still working on it. But, in it’s current state, I believe that the league format is better and more conducive to producing quality competition than any traditional Europe league.

Initial B
11-11-2017, 09:52 AM
^ I wish I could upvote this.

Italy could probably really use Seba's experience in this area right about now...

SoccMan2
11-11-2017, 10:49 AM
A format I would like to see instead of the two games total goals the away goals rule, is a two game home and away total points series. Therefore , same as regular season play, 3 points for a win and 1 point for a tie. After two games whoever has more points wins. If it’s tied on points after two games you go to extra time then penalty kicks. The big advantage of this is that teams will be always in it going to the second game regardless of how many goals they lost by in the first game. With the way it is now let’s be realistic if a team has a bad game in the first game and loosing 4 to 5 nothing it’s basically over and the second game is meaningless 99 percent of the time no team is coming back from that kind of deficit, so say a team loses the first game away 4 to 5 nothing you will have fans who bought tickets to the home game of the series going to watch a game that their home team has no realistic chance of coming back which sucks, however if it was a total points series the team that just got clobbered in the first game still has a chance to win the game by whatever score and force extra time in the second game, therefore, a team is realistically always in it no matter how badly they lost the first game, God forbid TFC gets clobbered in Columbus BMO Field will be a morgue in the second game at home with a lot of no shows because realistically if you lose say 4 and 5 nothing in the first game there is no coming back in this present system.

spe18
11-11-2017, 11:21 AM
A format I would like to see instead of the two games total goals the away goals rule, is a two game home and away total points series. Therefore , same as regular season play, 3 points for a win and 1 point for a tie. After two games whoever has more points wins. If it’s tied on points after two games you go to extra time then penalty kicks. The big advantage of this is that teams will be always in it going to the second game regardless of how many goals they lost by in the first game. With the way it is now let’s be realistic if a team has a bad game in the first game and loosing 4 to 5 nothing it’s basically over and the second game is meaningless 99 percent of the time no team is coming back from that kind of deficit, so say a team loses the first game away 4 to 5 nothing you will have fans who bought tickets to the home game of the series going to watch a game that their home team has no realistic chance of coming back which sucks, however if it was a total points series the team that just got clobbered in the first game still has a chance to win the game by whatever score and force extra time in the second game, therefore, a team is realistically always in it no matter how badly they lost the first game, God forbid TFC gets clobbered in Columbus BMO Field will be a morgue in the second game at home with a lot of no shows because realistically if you lose say 4 and 5 nothing in the first game there is no coming back in this present system.

This sounds like a really great ground breaking suggestion you have come up with, for a 2 legged playoff affair. Perhaps you should take your suggestion to the IFAB :)

Yohan
11-11-2017, 11:35 AM

First to 5 was MLS knockout round thing during early years of the league

Hamilton_Red
11-11-2017, 12:33 PM
This international break combined with the boneheaded idea to have the two conference final games mid-week is a real momentum killer for MLS. They really have to sort out these international windows during the MLS play-offs.

mcolvy
11-11-2017, 01:02 PM

I like your reasoning for the faults of the aggregate system.
The margin of a win never matters (apart from a tie breaker) in any other sports scenario. So why all of sudden introduce it. And adding more value to an away goal vs. a home goal was a subjective decision made looong loong ago. I don't know why it holds more value (but I don't fully understand why away records are so poor across sports altogether). It also leads to weird situations, like TFC was in Sunday, that there is no "tie" or game outcomes that go to extratime. 1-0 for NYRB meant TFC were through, 2-0 for NYRB meant NYRB were through. Again, it changes the way the game is managed and approached-mentally, which I think takes away from the gameplay.

Your solution makes sense. It means if a team is down a goal late in the first leg they will push forward for the win, instead of sitting back and reducing further damage.

While we are challenging these football norms, what about when all things are tied after the two legs and we go into extratime: 30 minutes, then penalties.
That system sucks. And when is a goal ever scored in extratime. Teams sit back out of fear, taking the 50/50 chance of the penalties (and then being able to use the excuse: "Penalties isn't soccer and that the loss should mean less/be less impactful"). Teams play to lose in penalties rather than lose in regulation time. It is just our human nature. What system would break this mentality?

ensco
11-11-2017, 06:21 PM
I don’t like penalties. I like the Mexican system in the Liguilla, where if the teams are tied after 180 minutes, then they use away goals, if still tied, the higher seed goes through.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-11-2017, 08:19 PM

This sounds good in theory, but it is terribly unfair and because of this could never fly in the real life.

Think about a first leg when one team wins with 3 or 4 goal difference (does not matter if the home team or the visitor team).
At such difference it is impossible that we have a fluke result decided on sheer luck. Either the defeated team played like utter shit, either the winner team had a great game (or a combination of these).

Now let's say that in the second leg the loser of the 1st leg at best is playing on equal level like the other team, and is winning by a fluke goal in 90 minutes (again no matter if it's the home team or the visitor team).
In the extra time there are no goals, and at the penalties the 1 leg's loser is winning.

How fair would be this to the winner of the 1st leg?

Your model would be maybe viable if we would have a "best from a 3 game series", the 1st game and the last game held in the better seeded team's home.
But 3 game elimination series would never work in footy, because this would lenghten too much the season.

mcolvy
11-12-2017, 12:32 AM
This sounds good in theory, but it is terribly unfair and because of this could never fly in the real life.

Think about a first leg when one team wins with 3 or 4 goal difference (does not matter if the home team or the visitor team).
At such difference it is impossible that we have a fluke result decided on sheer luck. Either the defeated team played like utter shit, either the winner team had a great game (or a combination of these).

Now let's say that in the second leg the loser of the 1st leg at best is playing on equal level like the other team, and is winning by a fluke goal in 90 minutes (again no matter if it's the home team or the visitor team).
In the extra time there are no goals, and at the penalties the 1 leg's loser is winning.

How fair would be this to the winner of the 1st leg?

Your model would be maybe viable if we would have a "best from a 3 game series", the 1st game and the last game held in the better seeded team's home.
But 3 game elimination series would never work in footy, because this would lenghten too much the season.

It is perfectly fair. No matter if it is a 2 game or 7 game series, cumulative scores don’t make sense.

I do like the 3 game series, advantage higher seed with 2 home games. It would reduce chances of extratime/penalties.

Have the second game midweek, finish the series in 8 days.

PAOK17
11-12-2017, 01:12 AM
You do realize that that's essentially what the two legs are, right? It is a 2-team group where you play every team (in this case, just 1 other team) home and away.

We already have the points system, if you think about it. If you win both games, then you have 6 points and your opponent has 0. If you win one, and tie the other, you have 4 points; your opponent has 1 point. If you both win a game, or both matches are draws, then you are equal on points. In a group stage what's the first tie breakers you ask?

1. Goal differential in all matches (or in just the matches against the opponent you are tied with if you go with the UEFA tie breakers, in this case being just the one team so doesn't mater).
2. Total goals scored (same as above in terms of all matches or just your opponent)
3. Total goals scored away from home (ditto)

If still tied after the above, that's where you get the funny rules of fair play, drawing of lots, etc. Since this is a 2-team group, however, you can skip those and use Extra Time and then Penalties. So in other words that's where the aggregate system comes from.

People get really fixated on the total goals/aggregate/away goals rule because it's included in the score keeping, but it truly doesn't take effect until the two matches are over. They are just tie breakers in the event you both win a game or you tie both. The only difference between what currently exists and what you are proposing is the tie breakers that prevent Extra Time and Penalties. The whole point of using goals as a tie breaker is to encourage goal scoring from both teams, and the reason for the away goal rule is to prevent teams from bunkering down when playing away. Seattle won the MLS Cup because it was a single match. They had no real incentive to attack and therefore took the match to penalties.

The aggregate rules are designed to prevent more games from going to penalties. And you want to implement changes to increase the number of series that end with penalties?

PizzaEatingYeti
11-12-2017, 01:55 AM
It is perfectly fair. No matter if it is a 2 game or 7 game series, cumulative scores don’t make sense.

Agree to disagree. :)
Cumulative scores are making the most sense... it's not same winning with 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 or 4-3 vs winning to 5-0, 6-1, 7-2 or 8-3.

Plus if the score would not count at all, this would encourage teams down 2-3 goals by the 60-th minute to give a shit about the final result, knowing they can't come back to a draw.
It would not matter if they lose by 2-3 goals or by 6-7 goals, right?

They would take out their best 3 players, and more so, would even fake 1-2 injuries to take out other 1-2 good players (and play the rest of the game in 10 or 9 men), in order to rest all these players for the next leg. These parts of the games would be meaningless shitshows.

PAOK17
11-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Agree to disagree. :)
Cumulative scores are making the most sense... it's not same winning with 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 or 4-3 vs winning to 5-0, 6-1, 7-2 or 8-3.

Plus if the score would not count at all, this would encourage teams down 2-3 goals by the 60-th minute to give a shit about the final result, knowing they can't come back to a draw.
It would not matter if they lose by 2-3 goals or by 6-7 goals, right?

They would take out their best 3 players, and more so, would even fake 1-2 injuries to take out other 1-2 good players (and play the rest of the game in 10 or 9 men), in order to rest all these players for the next leg. These parts of the games would be meaningless shitshows.
Precisely! The reason the Toronto-Montreal conference final last year is considered the best MLS playoff series of all time is due to the number of goals scored. If we removed goals as a tie-breaker, the first match would likely have ended 3-0 for Mtl, and the second 1-0 for TFC. Likely a lot more boring than the 12 goals we got last year.

Oldtimer
11-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Precisely! The reason the Toronto-Montreal conference final last year is considered the best MLS playoff series of all time is due to the number of goals scored. If we removed goals as a tie-breaker, the first match would likely have ended 3-0 for Mtl, and the second 1-0 for TFC. Likely a lot more boring than the 12 goals we got last year.

It would have also lacked the intensity in game 1 once Montréal was ahead.

SoccMan2
11-12-2017, 03:52 PM
So I tried to watch the return game of the Croatia and Greece World Cup qualifying playoff, Croatia won the first game 4 -1 at home this game is hard to watch because Greece by loosing the first game 4-1 in Croatia have no chance of coming back , empty stadium in Greece for this match because of this stupid aggregate away rules garbage the Greek fans know it’s over because of what happened in the first game in Croatia, however, if it was a two goal total points you would have a full stadium in Greece because the fans would know that all the Greeks would have needed was a victory in the second game to force extra time , but with this aggregate system this game is over before it started!

flatpicker
11-12-2017, 04:50 PM
So I tried to watch the return game of the Croatia and Greece World Cup qualifying playoff, Croatia won the first game 4 -1 at home this game is hard to watch because Greece by loosing the first game 4-1 in Croatia have no chance of coming back , empty stadium in Greece for this match because of this stupid aggregate away rules garbage the Greek fans know it’s over because of what happened in the first game in Croatia, however, if it was a two goal total points you would have a full stadium in Greece because the fans would know that all the Greeks would have needed was a victory in the second game to force extra time , but with this aggregate system this game is over before it started!

There's an easy solution for this:
Don't fuck up the first game.

DinamoTFC
11-13-2017, 12:24 AM
There's an easy solution for this:
Don't fuck up the first game.

Exactly. A 1-0 win shouldn't equal the same as a 4-1 win. The better team advanced.

leafsman
11-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Did i miss the season seat holder presale for extra tickets or do we not get that chance this round?

fergiejr
11-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Haven't seen anything - public sale or SSH sale. Still 2 weeks out, but FO should get on this.

Smokecell
11-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Haven't seen anything - public sale or SSH sale. Still 2 weeks out, but FO should get on this.

TFC communicated that early access for those that download the TFC app was to be tomorrow (the 14th). I asked the TFC STH twitter account about a week ago and was told "Most likely morning of the 14 " (for STH) but haven't heard a peep...guessing something changed and the dates have slipped but again that's just a guess.

GerMc
11-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Just got the email about the SSH presale tomorrow at 10 am. They say they will email a code in the morning.

Kaz
11-13-2017, 06:25 PM

Well Extra Time is a Tie breaker.

So lets see... 4-1 = 3 points.
Greece wins the second 1-0 3 points.

First tie breaker is GD.

Croatia 2 Greece -2 Croatia wins.
No need for any other tie breakers.

Extra time should only occur as the last tie breaker. Why play longer needlessly.

GD
Away goals
extra time.

oh wait.. that is exactly how it is now. Just we keep the aggregate score as the first tie breaker is Goal Differential. If the Aggregate score favors one time the Goal Differential does too.

Extra time is the third tie breaker, PKs in MLS is the 4th.