PDA

View Full Version : Other MLS Games - August 25-27

OgtheDim
08-25-2017, 05:05 PM
Friday

NYCFC @ NYRB 7pm - GAME OF THE WEEK APART FROM OURS. Big game for both teams. NYC needs a win to keep up with us. NYRB wants a win to climb up into 3rd. But, really, they both want to win because these two teams hate each other. Villa and BWP are driving their teams forward. Strategically, te defences and the attacks are at the same level. If this comes down to the midfield, NYC is better balanced and should keep it going. More likely, this game is decided by which MVP gets it done. To me, that's VIlla. 2-1 for NYC

Saturday

NER @ DCU 7pm - DCU's best offence is the own goal. NER hasn't won on the road. A loss for NER will kill their faint post season hopes. Consider them killed. 2-1 for DCU (an own goal for NER just because...MLS is going to MLS)

Atlanta @ Philly 7pm - Philly is bad. Atlanta smarting from being outplayed for the third time by DC. Now, if DCU can do it, surely Philly, who havn't played Atlanta yet & who have better players, can get a result at home as well. Difference here is the coach. Curtin doesn't think outside his box. Players respect him but he's tactically not adept enough to handle the Atlanta counter. Atlanta starts its march towards 3rd place here. 3-1 for Atlanta

FCD @ Columbus 7:30pm - CBus NEEDS this win to hold onto a playoff spot. Dallas is like bad bacon - streaky. Started the season with a 9 game unbeaten run. They have now gone 5 without a win. They do things in bunches. Is this where they start a new batch of winning? I don't think so. 3-1 for CBus

Vancouver @ Orlando 7:30pm - Vancouver is going to be really really tired. Midweek game at home and then the longest road trip in the league to play a game 3 days later. To top it off, there is a tropical cyclone (not Hurricane Harvey) going right through the middle of Florida this weekend bringing a TON of rain. Its going to be an ugly ugly game. Orlando wins 2-1 to snap their streak of games without a win.

Minnesota @ Chicago 8:30pm - OK, we beat them convincingly but Chicago is still a pretty decent team while the Loons are...well...coached by the worst coach left in the league. This will eventually be a rivalry game with some umph to it, but not for a few seasons yet. 3-0 for Chicago.

Colorado @ RSL 10pm - Yes, this is a derby - the two fan bases don't like each other much and the teams have history. RSL is just better. 2-0 for the home team.

Sunday

SJE @ LAG 7:30pm - looked like a good game when the schedule was created. LAG is woeful with bad players and no sense that anything is being done except marketing. We play SJE in a couple of weeks. Watch out for Vako, their DP AM, who is pretty decent on the ball (except he needs to learn to trust his teammates). They've been playing that 3-5-2 with limited success. LAG is playing out the string and SJE pretty much needs to win out to get in. SJE's hopes survive another week - 2-1 for SJE.

Portland @ Seattle 9:30pm - Portland has not lost in their last 5 non-TFC games. Going on a bit of a run. 1st vs. 2nd in the West with the usual Cascadia "we are the best because all our friends within our two groups say we are" rivalry nonsense. Seattle is due a bad game. Portland wins this one 2-1.

OgtheDim
08-25-2017, 06:16 PM
https://twitter.com/WhalerWatch/status/901092899995209728

https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/901220249902743552

That's the Hartford mascot on the Capo stand. Previously he was in the tunnel to welcome the NYCFC team out.

pdubs
08-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Nycfc look bad. Red bulls look good but haven't had much on net.

Hugh Jazz
08-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Yup. NYCFC really struggling with the RB's press. NY had a lot of wayward passes in the final third but almost scored a really nice one before the first half ended. Interested in seeing what Viera changes to get his team into this.

OgtheDim
08-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Watching the passing on display after watching TFC on Wednesday is almost like going from the EPL to MLS.

Lots of vim and vigour but NYRB is taking 3 stabs to get one pass through.

This looks like a classic "Villa is doing nothing and then he scores game".

pdubs
08-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Redbull should have had penalty. They hit the post, miss a ton of chances.

Nycfc hit on counter lol. This game makes me feel great about our playoff chances tho. Both look a tier behind us.

pdubs
08-25-2017, 08:16 PM
1-1. Both looked meh.

OgtheDim
08-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Marsch puts BWP in the midfield for 10 minutes before taking him off with 5 to go.

Either there is an issue with BWP or Marsch is over thinking. Settling for a 1-1 tie at home against your rival shows little ambition.

PopePouri
08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Pretty great for us.

Cuppy
08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
1-1 final. I will take it and enjoy the rest of my weekend in peace

PizzaEatingYeti
08-25-2017, 09:00 PM
1-1. Both looked meh.
This is the best possible outcome for TFC!

PizzaEatingYeti
08-25-2017, 09:01 PM
I did not know this match is today, otherwise I would have watched.
So you guys say that I haven't lost anything?

SirBobSaget
08-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Marsch puts BWP in the midfield for 10 minutes before taking him off with 5 to go.

Either there is an issue with BWP or Marsch is over thinking. Settling for a 1-1 tie at home against your rival shows little ambition.

Came in to say this exactly. I only watched the last 15 mins but the passing was terrible by both sides. These we're not speculative attempts either, rather they we're straightforward passes to wide open teammates.

We're spoiled.

Detroit_TFC
08-26-2017, 09:03 PM
Chicago really struggling vs Minnesota. Not sure what the hell is going on with them, they are playing far worse than they did vs TFC just the other day.

notthesun
08-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Chicago really struggling vs Minnesota. Not sure what the hell is going on with them, they are playing far worse than they did vs TFC just the other day.

I forget who, but props to whoever recently called them a .500 team returning to earth here. That's what they look like now. They're not bad but they were really just riding Nikolic.

tfcfans
08-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Go Loons!

I still think Atlanta has the best chance to shoot up the standings with a ton of home games left, could easily see them competing for third place or so.....

Hugh Jazz
08-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Columbus now ahead of Chicago. Fire really slipping.

SirBobSaget
08-27-2017, 12:03 AM
Watched the Van vs Orl game. Remember when Kreis was the almighty MLS coach? Jeepers he'll be lucky to see out this pathetic season.

SirBobSaget
08-27-2017, 12:07 AM
They cheaped out on CB reinforcements getting throwaway Dean from Vancouver. They have no depth and Nikolic has been figured out.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2017, 09:31 AM
I forget who, but props to whoever recently called them a .500 team returning to earth here. That's what they look like now. They're not bad but they were really just riding Nikolic.

They looked shell shocked even in highlights. TFC will do that to a team.:)

ag futbol
08-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Watched the Van vs Orl game. Remember when Kreis was the almighty MLS coach? Jeepers he'll be lucky to see out this pathetic season.
Yeah, I'm going to go scrub away some posts saying we should bring him in. They look awful.

What on earth are Dwyer and Larin doing on the field as an up front pairing?

After a promising start to the franchise, things look to be moving backwards. Shame to waste that great support.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I'm going to go scrub away some posts saying we should bring him in. They look awful.

What on earth are Dwyer and Larin doing on the field as an up front pairing?

After a promising start to the franchise, things look to be moving backwards. Shame to waste that great support.

Great support will take and get through. We know better than most.:scarf:

Hope Larin gets that space vs Jamaica on Sat.

Initial B
08-27-2017, 12:23 PM
I remember that thread when Kreis was free. I think I said I'd take Kreis over Vanney at the time, but it looks like MLS3.0 has passed Kreis by. Either that or his RSL teams' performances were due to Lagerway's GM acumen (that Seattle now enjoys).

I'd ride Vanney now until he decides to leave.

OgtheDim
08-27-2017, 08:23 PM
LAG is bad but SJE isn't all that much better. Got two late goals after a dubious red card. Deserved the win but I'd say both teams would struggle against Montreal, Atlanta, NYRB & CBus - i.e. not par for MLS.

ensco
08-27-2017, 08:42 PM
I remember that thread when Kreis was free. I think I said I'd take Kreis over Vanney at the time, but it looks like MLS3.0 has passed Kreis by. Either that or his RSL teams' performances were due to Lagerway's GM acumen (that Seattle now enjoys).

Jeepers, it's better than that. I'd take Vanney over every coach in the league, and I'd be devastated if he left (I'm worried about him getting the USMNT job post WC 2018)

Bez and Vanney have had an astounding run the last year and a half. The harmony is astounding. Literally every player they have brought in since Hercules Gomez has been talented, contributed, and been able to integrate into the squad fairly quickly.

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2017, 10:39 AM

And Columbus not looking intimidating in their win.

Hugh Jazz
08-28-2017, 11:19 AM
No they're not. We're really a cut above the rest of the conference right now in terms of how we're playing. Still, plenty of time for a team to get hot going into the playoffs.

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2017, 11:40 AM
SL Plata and later Silva AGAIN. Granted that was a goalfest brought on by 10 v 10.

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2017, 12:01 PM
SJ with a surprise dominating win over the Gals. Too many cheap fouls in that one. Wondo with another one. One more to tie with 3rd all time.

Yohan
08-29-2017, 04:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZMRhMJl2SY

Oldtimer
08-29-2017, 04:24 PM

You should own the history. It wasn't unreasonable to say at the time.

Kreis was better than Vanney at the time. Remember how we used to critique Vanney's odd substitutions? His strange strategies? Not using the best players? All that was true. However Vanney had more upside because he was learning very quickly, and I'm sure Bez saw that and was willing to give him time. Patience (something TFC was not noted for before Bez became GM) paid off. I would now put Vanney as now one of the best in the league.

ensco
08-29-2017, 05:54 PM
I absolutely hated the Vanney hire. Seemed like just another bush league thing to do, letting a raw rookie GM hand pick a candidate with no experience.

I did not want Kreis, even though I wasn't sold on Vanney at the time Kreis became available. I voted to give Vanney one more year.

Remember Manning giving Vanney 8 games at the start of 2016? I hated that too.

Winning is all that matters, in the end. Lots of winning matters even more!

OgtheDim
08-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Like Kreis & Lagerway before them, Vanney and Bez have changed the league. 4-4-2 diamonds took over for a long time. Then it was 4-2-3-1 (Portland, CBus, DCU & NER style)

I think the 3-5-2 is used by TFC because that's what suits our team's 3 DP's best. Still, other people are copying that now.

And, you gotta know that a whole whack of owners looked at Giovinco and said, "We need to get one of those types." Thus Lodeiro & Dos Santos.