PDA

View Full Version : TFC All-Time XI

shwade
08-22-2017, 11:43 AM
This is is obviously the best Toronto squad ever but it got me thinking that most of these guys, especially defenders, would probably be in our all time XI... so this is mine off the top of my head, hopefully didn't forget anyone worthy:

Cesar
Morrow, Moor, Mavinga, Beita
Vasquez, Bradley, Frings, De Rosario
Defoe, Giovinco

Subs: Altidore, De Guzman, Korvermans, Guevara, Caldwell, Laba, Frei

Curious to hear everyones thoughts - no other defenders really came to mind.

Chevy
08-22-2017, 11:46 AM
I'd certainly add DeRosario to the starting lineup (in place of Robert who was a bust) and likely Pablo Vitti to the bench.

The Captain's armband should go to Mista, of course.

shwade
08-22-2017, 11:56 AM
I'd certainly add DeRosario to the starting lineup (in place of Robert who was a bust) and likely Pablo Vitti to the bench.

The Captain's armband should go to Mista, of course.

Ah I'm an idiot..completely forgot DeRo. Robert was a lazy ass who would've done better in this iteration of MLS I think. Edited to add DeRo.

Voodooman
08-22-2017, 12:00 PM
F Hall
Kantari Garcia Braz Iro
Ibrahim Saric Bekker
Mista Stevanovic Lombardo

Man this was actually harder than I thought....

shwade
08-22-2017, 12:01 PM
F Hall
Kantari Garcia Braz Iro
Ibrahim Saric Bekker

That's a top 100 team for sure.

molenshtain
08-22-2017, 12:05 PM
I think All TFC best 11's should have to include 3 honorary members of the 2011 Preki team. That was probably the most absent of talent, thuggish collection of players I've ever seen put together. If we don't remember them who will?

My three are Kevin Harmse, Martin Saric, and Adrian Serioux. They really come in handy when you need to break the legs of other best 11 teams. Also helpful in bar fights. Saric could even tell you a thing or two about B&E's, provided he's a free man again and no longer in a Florida prison.

jokes aside my real best 11 is just our starting 11 now. Each of those guys is the best we've had at their position. Maybe throw in Frings for Delgado or something.

Yohan
08-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Eh. My best XI based upon a player's contribution to TFC, not their resume

GK: Alex Bono
RB: Richard Eckersley
CB: Drew Moor
CB: Tyrone Marshall
LB: Justin Morrow
DM: Michael Bradley
CM: Jonathan Osorio
CM: Amado Guevara
LW: Sebastian Giovinco
CF: Jozy Altidore
RW: Dwayne DeRosario

Subs
GK: Stefan Frei
RB: Steven Beitashour
CB: Steven Caldwell
DM: Carl Robinson
AM: Victor Vasquez
ST: Danny Dichio
ST: Danny Koevermans

Oldtimer
08-22-2017, 12:29 PM
F Hall
Kantari Garcia Braz Iro
Ibrahim Saric Bekker

That's a top 100 team for sure.

:smilielol5:

Continuing with the theme of worst XI, Hscanovics has to be in the mix somewhere.

... and for worst coach, Mariner.

Areathrasher
08-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Gilberto

Gilberto Gilberto Gilberto Gilberto

Beards for Gilberto Gilberto

Gilberto Ol Gill Goalberto

Gilberto

08-22-2017, 12:35 PM
http://magazine.bramptonsoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Danny-Dichio.jpg

Derko
08-22-2017, 12:50 PM
What no Andy Welsh, or Maxim Usanov

molenshtain
08-22-2017, 12:51 PM
We had Tal Ben-Haim for like a day and a half one time.

Canary10
08-22-2017, 12:56 PM
This is the discussion that happens when you're team is in first and it's hard to find anything to complain about.

Voodooman
08-22-2017, 01:16 PM
:smilielol5:

Continuing with the theme of worst XI, Hscanovics has to be in the mix somewhere.

... and for worst coach, Mariner.

I had a hard time deciding between him, Kantari or Usanov.

I went with Kantari because he was literally unnecessary dead weight.

Trust me though I think I spent way more time than I thought thinking about that. Some positions were simple but picking players like Mista over Cunningham was tough

Oldtimer
08-22-2017, 01:24 PM
I had a hard time deciding between him, Kantari or Usanov.

I went with Kantari because he was literally unnecessary dead weight.

Trust me though I think I spent way more time than I thought thinking about that. Some positions were simple but picking players like Mista over Cunningham was tough

Both Mista and Cunningham had really bad attitudes, but Mista was a DP, which gives him double negative points. My main memory of him was of him being subbed out and kicking over the water bottle stand. For Cunningham, this picture is cemented in my mind:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Cunnytfc.jpg/200px-Cunnytfc.jpg

He could have the occasional flash of something good, though, as in this 2008 game report where he scored the winner ending a 10 game road losing streak (wow, our team was sooo bad): https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2008/04/14/cunningham_ends_tfc_road_drought.html

Usanov we nicknamed "Uselessanov." I agree with you that Kantari was the worst of the three so make Usanov a sub for the worst XI.

TFC Tifoso
08-22-2017, 01:54 PM
Both Mista and Cunningham had really bad attitudes, but Mista was a DP, which gives him double negative points. My main memory of him was of him being subbed out and kicking over the water bottle stand.

Wasn't that Carlos Ruiz? Last game of the season on the road v SJ, if I remember correctly......

Mista may have done it another time, but Ruiz did for sure in that game....

man, we've seen a lot of shit over the years lol....

Auzzy
08-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Both Mista and Cunningham had really bad attitudes, but Mista was a DP, which gives him double negative points. My main memory of him was of him being subbed out and kicking over the water bottle stand.

Wasn't that Carlos Ruiz? Last game of the season on the road v SJ, if I remember correctly......

Mista may have done it another time, but Ruiz did for sure in that game....

man, we've seen a lot of shit over the years lol....

Ruiz attacked the poor innocent Gatorade jug. I can't remember an attack on a water bottle stand, but PTSD does things to your memory.

TFC Tifoso
08-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Ruiz attacked the poor innocent Gatorade jug. I can't remember an attack on a water bottle stand, but PTSD does things to your memory.

lol...yes yes! he hopped over the ad boards and beatings ensued....

08-22-2017, 02:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXEKqknYxwE

The squirrel should make the team.

notthesun
08-22-2017, 02:42 PM
We had Tal Ben-Haim for like a day and a half one time.

That was so ridiculous. Literally announced his signing on the club's official website before he was actually signed. It doesn't get any more incompetent than that.

OgtheDim
08-22-2017, 03:07 PM
Well if we must

http://i.imgur.com/7LGuhKU.jpg

Chevy
08-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Well if we must

http://i.imgur.com/7LGuhKU.jpg

Nana Cattakora

Derko
08-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Nana Cattakora

Excellent

Yohan
08-22-2017, 04:14 PM
TFC Worst XI (Min 10 games played)

GK: Freddy Hall
RB: Warren Creavalle
CB: Marco Reda
CB: Nick Garcia
LB: Raivis Hscanovics
RM: Alvaro Rey
CM: Martin Saric
CM: Jeremy Hall
LM: Laurent Robert
ST: Mista
ST: Andrea Lombardo

Sub
GK: Kenny Stamapoulos
CB: Marco Velez
CB: Ahmed Kantari
RB: Maxim Usanov
DM: Nathan Sturgis
ST: Collin Samuel
ST: Ali Gerba

Special shoutout to Ty Harden, Andy Iro, Miguel Canizalez, Adam Braz, Hogan Ephraim, Logan Emory, Javier Martina, Pablo Vitti, Jarrod Smith, Amadou Sanyang, Emmanuel Gomez, Joseph Nane, Alen Stevanovic, Andy Welsh, Johann Smith, Robbie Findley, Justin Braun, Andy Boyens, John Bostock, Danleigh Borman, Kyle Bekker, Gianluca Zavarise.

Canary10
08-22-2017, 04:41 PM
TFC Worst XI (Min 10 games played)

GK: Freddy Hall
RB: Warren Creavalle
CB: Marco Reda
CB: Nick Garcia
LB: Raivis Hscanovics
RM: Alvaro Rey
CM: Martin Saric
CM: Jeremy Hall
LM: Laurent Robert
ST: Mista
ST: Andrea Lombardo

Sub
GK: Kenny Stamapoulos
CB: Marco Velez
CB: Ahmed Kantari
RB: Maxim Usanov
DM: Nathan Sturgis
ST: Collin Samuel
ST: Ali Gerba

Special shoutout to Ty Harden, Andy Iro, Miguel Canizalez, Adam Braz, Hogan Ephraim, Logan Emory, Javier Martina, Pablo Vitti, Jarrod Smith, Amadou Sanyang, Emmanuel Gomez, Joseph Nane, Alen Stevanovic, Andy Welsh, Johann Smith, Robbie Findley, Justin Braun, Andy Boyens, John Bostock, Danleigh Borman, Kyle Bekker, Gianluca Zavarise.

This is a really long list of special shoutouts.

Yohan
08-22-2017, 04:47 PM
This is a really long list of special shoutouts.
I'm having a drink to deal with TFC PTSD after making that list.

There were so many bad players

Derko
08-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Didn't Luis Silva win GOTW last week? He was on the thug list

Hugh Jazz
08-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Oh to reminisce...
Haven't seen his name yet as he was somewhere in the middle, but who was that Dutch winger (not Javier) that came in during Winter's reign? I was always astonished at how good he was 1v1 despite being so slow.

molenshtain
08-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Oh to reminisce...
Haven't seen his name yet as he was somewhere in the middle, but who was that Dutch winger (not Javier) that came in during Winter's reign? I was always astonished at how good he was 1v1 despite being so slow.

Big Frank Soolsma.

Yohan
08-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Big Frank Soolsma.
Nick Soolsma

It's too bad that he got cut. I still remember the game he torched Santos Laguna in Mexico. Looks retired only at 29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GujgXhYo1W8

molenshtain
08-22-2017, 08:28 PM
That's the one.

Hugh Jazz
08-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Legend!

molenshtain
08-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Legend!

Do you frequent Houston bars?

flatpicker
08-22-2017, 10:10 PM
My God!
I had forgotten so many of these people.
How has it been over a decade already?
How have so many people played for this team?
Bonkers.

Shakes McQueen
08-22-2017, 11:24 PM
Jeff Cunningham was our best forward ever. Still remember that Montreal game where he couldn't bag the goal line sitter, and Carver called him out for his lack of work ethic.

Still remember that transfer window where we waited with baited breath for news about our pursuit of the mighty Paul Dickov too.

Cesar was our best keeper ever by a mile. Aside from that, I honestly think I'd probably take the current starting lineup in it's entirety. The quality of play in MLS is miles better than it was a decade ago, and I just don't know how even club "legends" like Dichio or Robbo would fare against a good 2017 MLS team - never mind an Andy Iro or Colin Samuel. Maybe you could slot in a Frings or Guevara too.

Fort York Redcoat
08-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Both Mista and Cunningham had really bad attitudes, but Mista was a DP, which gives him double negative points. My main memory of him was of him being subbed out and kicking over the water bottle stand. For Cunningham, this picture is cemented in my mind:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Cunnytfc.jpg/200px-Cunnytfc.jpg

He could have the occasional flash of something good, though, as in this 2008 game report where he scored the winner ending a 10 game road losing streak (wow, our team was sooo bad): https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2008/04/14/cunningham_ends_tfc_road_drought.html

Usanov we nicknamed "Uselessanov." I agree with you that Kantari was the worst of the three so make Usanov a sub for the worst XI.

Great talk, guys. this thread is welcome right now while we're tops.

OT I'd have to argue that wile Mista WAS a DP, but Cuntiham was the closest thing to a sure thing in the league. But so was Ruiz and he was like the second coming of Jeffrey above. Ruiz gets top spot for me.

Top of the Shitheap of course.