PDA

View Full Version : Other MLS Games - July 29th - 8 Games Being Played at One Time

OgtheDim
07-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Saturday

We are the only game tomorrow.

MLS twitter is going to get whiplash with this many games on around 8 tonight.

Orlando @ Atlanta 4:30pm - Is the swan song for Bobby Dodd stadium, which 5 stripe fans are already going to miss. Speaking of missing, Orlando's offence - Dwyer to score 1 but they need more people making good passes then just Kaka.
4-1 for Atlanta

Philly @ NER 7:30pm - Union are in turmoil but NER isn't all that much better. Difference here will be Blake isn't around to bail out that Union defence. 3-1 for NER

Montreal @ NYRB 7:30pm - the Energy drinks have revenge on their minds. Too bad they still can't handle speed on the wings with a CA. 2-1 for Montreal

Vancouver @ FCD 8pm - Time for FCD to start making some of those ties into wins. Vancouver's defence won't be able to handle all those guys in red running straight at them. 3-1 for FCD

Portland @ Houston 8pm - 3rd vs 4th in the West. Houston is very good at home. Portland is a team in search of any consistency. One team will start a streak tonight. I'm guessing its Houston. 2-1 for the guys in Orange.

Chicago @ SKC 8 pm - GAME OF THE NIGHT - Best offence vs Best defence in what should be a snarly warm atmosphere. SKC will have something to prove. 3-1 for the home team.

DCU @ Minnesota 8pm - Worst two teams in the league but worth keeping an eye on as we play DCU in a weekand they gave us fits here at BMO. DCU is better coached but the Loons have the better players. DCU will come back to grab a win. 2-1 for the away team.

Columbus @ RSL 8pm - Crew is in the playoff spot for now but Higuin is out injured and have issues in defence. After Petke's hilarious press conference last week, RSL is going to be loose and motivated. I'm betting they make a run over the next few weeks starting wtih this game. 3-1 for the home team.

Colorado @ SJE 8pm - The Rapids are shit, were shit last week at BMO, and only are slightly less pooh smelling with Howard back. They won't beat an SJE team who do well at home. 2-0 for SJE who are quietly putting together a decent 3-5-2 team.

Seattle @ LAG 10pm - Hype a rama. Seattle's away record of 2 wins and 3 draws is better then LAG's home record. The latest Dos Santos brother won't be able to play in this one due to paperwork. Sigi is a better coach with a better defence but he's only had 3 days. Seattle just doesn't impress me at all. 2-2 draw.

OgtheDim
07-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Dwyer starts with Larin. This should be interesting.

molenshtain
07-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Atlanta looked a bit off the pace today. Not quite contender material as of right now, especially on the back line.

ag futbol
07-29-2017, 08:50 PM
Vancouver up 3-0 on Dallas.

FCD look extremely naive at times. Bad game for them definitely, but all the same I can't see this group making much noise in the playoffs.

molenshtain
07-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Vancouver up 3-0 on Dallas.

FCD look extremely naive at times. Bad game for them definitely, but all the same I can't see this group making much noise in the playoffs.

Exactly my thinking. I think Pareja's system is great and I love how many chances he gives to the kids. But this team just lacks the top tier players required to go places in this league.

ensco
07-29-2017, 09:14 PM
A lot of lopsided scores tonight

molenshtain
07-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Does Olsen get fired for this?

notthesun
07-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Does Olsen get fired for this?

He should probably go but I can't see D.C. improving to anything beyond mediocre, their roster is just not good. They need to spend money. Feel bad for any manager they get before their stadium opens.

molenshtain
07-29-2017, 09:50 PM
He should probably go but I can't see D.C. improving to anything beyond mediocre, their roster is just not good. They need to spend money. Feel bad for any manager they get before their stadium opens.

It's not a great squad but it's servicable. The regression of guys like Birnbaum and Hamid must have something to do with the coaching.

UpTheReds
07-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Thank you SKC! Over to you TFC...

PizzaEatingYeti
07-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Very nice! Chicago got beaten...

Now we must win tomorrow, and we'll have a 5 points lead, right?

:flare:

BenRhodes23
07-29-2017, 11:43 PM

Correct. But Chicago will have a game in hand. We need to beat them when we face off in August

PizzaEatingYeti
07-29-2017, 11:51 PM
I just saw the highlights from the Red Bulls - Limp Act game.

Can't really tell if the Red Bulls played superb or the Limp Act was utter shit, but according to what I've seen could have been easily 7-0 or 8-0.
We all know these highlights can be misleading sometimes.

molenshtain
07-30-2017, 12:06 AM
I just saw the highlights from the Red Bulls - Limp Act game.

Can't really tell if the Red Bulls played superb or the Limp Act was utter shit, but according to what I've seen could have been easily 7-0 or 8-0.
We all know these highlights can be misleading sometimes.

it's a bit of both. Montreal's midfield is a dumpster fire and Ciman has regressed/been figured out pretty much entirely (he's shit in the air and his positioning is poor when they aren't bunkering). Red Bulls also threw out a sort of 3-3-3-1 formation that A) took advantage of the impact not having anything in midfield and B) finally put some of their better players in positions to succeed, something they've struggled with most of this year.

Montreal's 4 regular CM's have a combined age of 134. If you just gut them up the middle they're pretty easy to be had. poor roster construction on their FO's part.

OgtheDim
07-30-2017, 07:02 AM
Montreal's 4 regular CM's have a combined age of 134. If you just gut them up the middle they're pretty easy to be had. poor roster construction on their FO's part.

Whenever somebody goes trolling about how "of course Toronto should be doing well - they spend the most" I point out the roster money spent below the 3 DP's is the same price as everybody else's.

Montreal has not invested in youth and only play younger players when they are better then anybody else at that position. Heck, last night was their keeper's first MLS start and he's been on the bench off and on for 4 years.

Like it or not, to succeed in this league you have to develop players and you can't do that with them on the bench. This isn't the EPL etc. where you develop them with 10 minute stints at the end of games. Marky Delgado has developed because he got played soooo much at Chivas and then was given games here. Same with Osorio, Hagglund and Zavaleta. Edwards is going to be much better next season for his experiences this one.

Montreal can whine about the money spent on our 3 DP's but their FO is responsible for that mess. And, even if they decided to go with youth, the results are not changing for a couple of seasons. They did well last year to get within an extra time of the final with a veteran roster. That's highly unlikely to be repeated.

ag futbol
07-30-2017, 09:41 AM
^ Hey, further to that: we spent the money before too but the results simply didn't follow. So there's more to it than splashing the cash (but that undoubtedly helps).

flatpicker
07-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Montreal's 4 regular CM's have a combined age of 134.

Which is fine if one of them is in his late 60s.

molenshtain
07-30-2017, 10:34 AM
Which is fine if one of them is in his late 60s.

Dzemaili is 31, Bernier 38, Donadel 34, Bernardello 31.

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Whenever somebody goes trolling about how "of course Toronto should be doing well - they spend the most" I point out the roster money spent below the 3 DP's is the same price as everybody else's.

Montreal has not invested in youth and only play younger players when they are better then anybody else at that position. Heck, last night was their keeper's first MLS start and he's been on the bench off and on for 4 years.

Like it or not, to succeed in this league you have to develop players and you can't do that with them on the bench. This isn't the EPL etc. where you develop them with 10 minute stints at the end of games. Marky Delgado has developed because he got played soooo much at Chivas and then was given games here. Same with Osorio, Hagglund and Zavaleta. Edwards is going to be much better next season for his experiences this one.

Montreal can whine about the money spent on our 3 DP's but their FO is responsible for that mess. And, even if they decided to go with youth, the results are not changing for a couple of seasons. They did well last year to get within an extra time of the final with a veteran roster. That's highly unlikely to be repeated.

I mean, one can't brag after that loss but I hope that Hamel, Tabla, and Crepeau get mins to improve (maybe for a different team, though)

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Correct. But Chicago will have a game in hand. We need to beat them when we face off in August

That was a big favour from KC. Love how they had to needle Chi in the the highlight title about it.

I just want us to win what's in front of us. Let's take it to the Pigeon Farm team.:scarf:

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Plata pots another in that draw v Columbus.

Yohan
08-01-2017, 07:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD7sHz6iGRI