PDA

View Full Version : Dichio - setback

KShep121
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Looks like he may in fact be done for the year..

Carver also hopes to have Dickov in lineup on Sunday from the sounds of it:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/07/31/tebily_dichio_tfc/

Alarius
07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Aw shucks... its like Sutton all over again...

GabrielHurl
07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
I think it could be the end of Danny - for good

Damien
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM

He could come back in the coaching staff?

Shaughno
07-31-2008, 11:20 AM

Professional playing days could very well be over, I do agree. I hope he stays with the team as a coach/youth system.

DigzTFC!
07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
You thought Carver was vicious on the sideline...wait until Danny's a coach

Ossington Mental Youth
07-31-2008, 11:23 AM

Was saying this at the start of the season but was hoping he'd finish it.
Och.
Poor Danny.
Im certain he will be back as a coach

RealG-TFC
07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
I just hope he plays one more game so we could thank him. You know make like a banner of his face and sing Dichio24

kitchener-TFC
07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
This sucks. Does anyone know if Danny likes it here, so that he might stay on as a coach?

Alarius
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
is part of the article missing?
-------------------------------------------
One day after acquiring a much-needed striker in Chad Barrett, Toronto FC received some bad news regarding the team's leading scorer.

"Danny (Dichio) has suffered a bit of a setback," Carver said during his Thursday Q&A. "I've just spoke with the doctors."

Dichio suffered the concussion during TFC's 1-nil home loss to Vancouver on July 1. Carver will use the newly acquired Barrett on Sunday versus FC Dallas, and hopes to have one player player in before kick-off.

"We've got other things going on as well and I am keeping my fingers crossed that we might have someone in by the time we play on Sunday."

Toronto FC also announced Thursday that they have waived defender Olivier Tebily. Tebily, 32, was acquired as a free agent on April 24, 2008.

"Olivier has decided that he wanted to be closer to his family in France," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "We wish him all the best, and thank him for his contribution to Toronto FC."

The Ivory Coast native started in three of four games for Toronto FC logging 234 minutes. An ankle injury kept him out of the lineup for the better part of the last month.

Jack
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Man...I hope the big guy gets well.

Concussions are brutal.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
This sucks. Does anyone know if Danny likes it here, so that he might stay on as a coach?

Pretty sure he does, also i htink hes started a school here if im not mistaken...

TFC_Junky
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
That sucks. hopefully the setback won't last as long as they think!

trane
07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Fuck. Fuck . Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

koryo
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Professional playing days could very well be over, I do agree. I hope he stays with the team as a coach/youth system.

This is very sad news indeed. But he has put roots down and could perhaps start out coaching the Academy to learn his trade before moving into the team itself?

invictusTFC
07-31-2008, 11:51 AM
From the sounds of it, we're in the market for 2 forwards and an experienced defender ASAP. Dunny is done for the season, so God help us if Brennan goes down to injury at some point. We're not as deep as we were in week 4 of the season thats for sure.

Parkdale
07-31-2008, 11:56 AM
I guarantee that if he started coaching for the Academy, there'd be a lot more interest.

and the honest question: Why would he ever leave this city, even when his playing days are done?
He's forever going to be a sports hero in this town, way beyond anything he could have back home.
Even if he never sets foot on in BMO again, he'd still have people coming up to him 10 years from now.

Let's hope he doesn't go the ex-NFL Linebacker route and open a used car dealership.

DigzTFC!
07-31-2008, 11:56 AM
From the sounds of it, we're in the market for 2 forwards and an experienced defender ASAP. Dunny is done for the season, so God help us if Brennan goes down to injury at some point. We're not as deep as we were in week 4 of the season thats for sure.

I think Carver will play Nana now. I'm excited to see him play. With Wynne gone, James needing improvement, Dunivant done, and Velez being Velez, I hope he gets a shot. Or even Hemming for that matter.

trane
07-31-2008, 12:00 PM
FUCK. FUCK. I am fucking dissapointed. I will not go along with the negativity, about him comming back, but it would be really a sad day for me if I never so him on our pitch again.

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Pretty sure he does, also i htink hes started a school here if im not mistaken...

He will undoubtedly stay here and coach/manage in some capacity. He has his UEFA B licence, and already has his school/academy.

TicTacTabarnack
07-31-2008, 12:18 PM

http://www.dannydichio.ca/indexelitesoccerschool.htm

I can also see him enjoying to DJ for Z103.5 once in a while ...

tlear
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Maybe he can come back and play next season.. Would be really sad to never see him play again :(

Technorgasm
07-31-2008, 12:34 PM
TABARNACK!

thanks for everything Danny. . you will always be our Hero.

CenturySam
07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
DANNY DICHIO

TFC's # 9

LIVING LEGEND

Jay P
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
I Don't think Danny is done.

Yeoman
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
He could come back in the coaching staff?

he could be the 'punch out opposing player' coach
what? am I the only one that thinks the title is perfect for him?

TFC Cityboy
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
I Don't think Danny is done.
I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to break that news to him...

kelzag
07-31-2008, 12:56 PM
He'll be back. He won't go out like this.

togetherness
07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Well one thing is For sure NO one can take away the first ever goal or the Last ever of the first season ..

immortilized

Toronto_Bhoy
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Very, very sad news.

But I think Dichio will still contribute greatly…even in his absence. He has set the TFC benchmark for what WE think a player should be…regardless of skill set [which I rate pretty high].

All the best Danny…health first!

Dalybro
07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
He'll be back. Plus we have to see what a couple of cocks can do up front together. Dichio and Dickov. haha

MG42
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Having your career ended due to a game injury is the ultimate sacrifice for a team, especially the way dichio did it...if it was the ball in hte head vs VAN that caused it.

ensco
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't know why I believe this, but I think he'll be back for the second half of the last home game and will score an incredible goal in extra time

NF-FC
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't know why I believe this, but I think he'll be back for the second half of the last home game and will score an incredible goal in extra time

cause it seems like the Dichio thing to do

ManUtd4ever
07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
The legend will definitely be back. Danny mentioned in an interview during the all star game that the team physicians have been holding him back. Albeit that was before his recent setback, but if he doesn't come back late this season he will certainly give it another shot next season. As the saying goes, you can't keep a good man down...

James17930
07-31-2008, 07:00 PM
'During light training'

So he came back too early. Oh Danny, you couldn't have just waited?

Flipityflu
07-31-2008, 07:43 PM
'During light training'

So he came back too early. Oh Danny, you couldn't have just waited?

thats the hard part about this kind of injury...you just don't know when you are fully recovered. i can't believe he didn't get the blessing of a doctor before training though.

kitchener-TFC
07-31-2008, 09:38 PM
At least he did some light training. This is good news.

peskypetey
07-31-2008, 10:10 PM
This is not how the story goes.
He'll be back, against all odds, to score us one more amazing goal in a very important game. Then then the legend is complete and he can move on to coach.

He'll be back, I believe :)

Smenge
07-31-2008, 10:31 PM
I have commented about this in other threads: Don't expect to see him again this year. The concussion symptoms have to be entirely gone, before the doctors allow any body contact......even a slight headache means he is not free, and will remain at risk for a much stronger concussion and worsening symptoms...it is a scary injury, because it can take years for full recovery.

morgank1986
08-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Concussions are a tricky thing. How amazing would it be if Danny came back and then went tete-a-tete with an opposing player. The collision shakes all the concussion stress out of Danny head. TFC get the free kick and Danny gets his head on the end of it. Putting the TFC up by a goal in added time. In the movie he will be player by the guy who played Imhotep from The Mummy.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_gJMCSTp8SGs/R8b95WV26HI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/-Ar9i9R35nE/s400/dicchio+imhotep.jpg

Jeffro
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM
News on Dichio... I don't know about this setback.... but I do know that Danny has been at practice the past 2 days and was involved in "light training" ie. basically just jogging. However, if there was a major setback that put his season in jeopardy, he would not be running at BMO with his teammates.

Bobo
08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Having your career ended due to a game injury is the ultimate sacrifice for a team, especially the way dichio did it...if it was the ball in hte head vs VAN that caused it.

It's no different than any other injury....

:puke:

Geez, people love to kiss this guy's ass.

RedLion
08-02-2008, 07:55 PM

This is very sad news indeed. But he has put roots down and could perhaps start out coaching the Academy to learn his trade before moving into the team itself?

Hope he isn't done, but fear the worst. Hope he does move into coaching with the Academy if/when his playing career is done.

How we have missed thee, Danny. Get well soon.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Even off the pitch...Danny can be a huge influence...health first but I'd love to see him on the pitch again!

All the best Danny!!!

Rhapido
08-02-2008, 09:12 PM
News on Dichio... I don't know about this setback.... but I do know that Danny has been at practice the past 2 days and was involved in "light training" ie. basically just jogging. However, if there was a major setback that put his season in jeopardy, he would not be running at BMO with his teammates.

Very encouraging if true.

Jeffro
08-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Update... for those who were still waiting outside in the massive lineups...

Danny was on the pitch yesterday for the pregame warm ups, did some light running and was involved in the kick around.