PDA

View Full Version : Gary Lineker's comments on MLS

UpTheReds
07-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Gary Lineker on twitter last night - "I think it's safe to say that MLS has some way to go. And now here comes @ManUtd's Romelu Lukaku."

For the record the Galaxy played their reserves and youth team players. When he made this comment the Galaxy were down 3-0. In the second half when the Galaxy brought on their first 11 then drew 2-2 in the second half. When he was challenged he said this wasn't based off one game but off the MLS games he's watched.

I don't think it's lost on anyone that MLS doesn't compare to the EPL having watched TFC for all 10 of their years the standard is continuing to trend up. It amazes me how dismissive people overseas are of MLS.

PAOK17
07-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Gary Lineker on twitter last night - "I think it's safe to say that MLS has some way to go. And now here comes @ManUtd's Romelu Lukaku."

For the record the Galaxy played their reserves and youth team players. When he made this comment the Galaxy were down 3-0. In the second half when the Galaxy brought on their first 11 then drew 2-2 in the second half. When he was challenged he said this wasn't based off one game but off the MLS games he's watched.

I don't think it's lost on anyone that MLS doesn't compare to the EPL having watched TFC for all 10 of their years the standard is continuing to trend up. It amazes me how dismissive people overseas are of MLS.
I think it's because those overseas who make these comments feel threatened by MLS's potential. The Greek league also has a loooong way to go to catch up to the EPL, but no one has to state that because it's obvious. Similarly, no one has ever said that the MLS is at EPL's standard, so why the smug comment? It's because they see (and likely fear) its potential.

OgtheDim
07-17-2017, 05:51 AM
I have some time for Linekar. He's received a lot of stick for his comments supporting refugees.

And if the comparison is to the EPL, then yes it does have "some way to go".

And next Saturday I'll be with 24K+ to watch my local. Just like most people in the world.

Canary10
07-17-2017, 08:53 AM
I think it's fair to say that a lot of people around the world get a bit of satisfaction with the idea that the US is not a super power in soccer. And, despite getting much better in the past 20 years, they still aren't. Personally, I think that's where the sentiment comes from.

burlington Red
07-17-2017, 09:02 AM

aren't you kind of agreeing with his assertion when you say "I don't think it's lost on anyone that MLS doesn't compare to the EPL".
Lineker as a presenter/pundit is actually pretty good. Without doubt the league is getting better and as long as we know that, I'm happy enough.

ensco
07-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Lineker is right.

MLS is definitely better than it was, because the game is getting better, and we are investing to keep up.

The rich get richer, big leagues get all the money and are improving every year. The pressure and pace and quality of depth have become unreal in EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga.

MLS are doing a nice job, but haven't closed the gap or anything, imho. Which is fine.

We live in a time where the elite athletes are making quantum leaps. It's unreal in basketball, with all the 7 footers that can and do shoot the three.

Fort York Redcoat
07-17-2017, 10:18 AM
I think it's fair to say that a lot of people around the world get a bit of satisfaction with the idea that the US is not a super power in soccer. And, despite getting much better in the past 20 years, they still aren't. Personally, I think that's where the sentiment comes from.

Absolutely. If America ever woke up in unison and decided to change that...

(as unlikely as that would be)

Richard
07-17-2017, 11:46 AM
MLS has come a long way and the product is actually very watchable now unlike a few years a go.

cmonyoureds
07-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Just remember - Linekar is comparing the EPL to MLS.
We are not trying to compare MLS to the EPL.