PDA

View Full Version : TFC v Benfica for the Eusebio Cup at BMO in Sept? uu

Areathrasher
07-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Rumor floating around about this over the weekend. Seems to be picking up steam in Portugal.

https://twitter.com/PsoccerCOM/status/883811293987295233
https://twitter.com/PsoccerCOM/status/883911979584434178
https://twitter.com/PsoccerCOM/status/884043159566770176

Supposedly this would be played during the Sept international break...

jabbronies
07-10-2017, 10:48 AM
sweet - Please keep us posted!

molenshtain
07-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Highly, Highly doubt they come here for a friendly after their season has already started and half their squad is away on international duty.

You would have thought the club was comfortable enough with it's steadily growing stature that they don't need to seek out these games. Perhaps past insecurities run deeper through the FO then I thought.

Fort York Redcoat
07-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Highly, Highly doubt they come here for a friendly after their season has already started and half their squad is away on international duty.

You would have thought the club was comfortable enough with it's steadily growing stature that they don't need to seek out these games. Perhaps past insecurities run deeper through the FO then I thought.

Who, Benfica?

It looks to me that they would put a B or II side out for this pandering to a certain demographic. I've heard from both sides of the question: As a Benfica fan would you go to a Friendly that would obviously not be the present day first squad?

If it makes the money or gets some OTHER deal done...whatever.

IE Sunderland Friendly went over like a mack truck but it was all part of the bigger picture.

molenshtain
07-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Who, Benfica?

It looks to me that they would put a B or II side out for this pandering to a certain demographic. I've heard from both sides of the question: As a Benfica fan would you go to a Friendly that would obviously not be the present day first squad?

If it makes the money or gets some OTHER deal done...whatever.

IE Sunderland Friendly went over like a mack truck but it was all part of the bigger picture.

sorry nah I was talking about us. Not sure what our motivation would be other than deep seeded insecurities.

I can sort of see Benfica's motivation. They had a good turnout last time they played here and European clubs generally are never shy about making a quick buck. This still feels like a stretch though.

Red CB Toronto
07-10-2017, 11:50 AM
sorry nah I was talking about us. Not sure what our motivation would be other than deep seeded insecurities.

I can sort of see Benfica's motivation. They had a good turnout last time they played here and European clubs generally are never shy about making a quick buck. This still feels like a stretch though.

Well it is the international break, so TFC does have a bye week. I honestly could care less if they played it or not. Just by the fact that quite a few of the boys will be away would mean a number of TFC2/3 callups.

As suggested by one article I read it had the date for the match as September 2, the same day the Canada Jamaica friendly at BMO. That would mean a double header. It could help in selling the building out with the added bonus of the EX.

molenshtain
07-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Well it is the international break, so TFC does have a bye week. I honestly could care less if they played it or not. Just by the fact that quite a few of the boys will be away would mean a number of TFC2/3 callups.

As suggested by one article I read it had the date for the match as September 2, the same day the Canada Jamaica friendly at BMO. That would mean a double header. It could help in selling the building out with the added bonus of the EX.

fair enough re canada-jamaica link up. I could see that actually.

Thought the ex was usually gone by September but just looked it up and they're here till the 4th. seems they're staying for three weeks instead of the usual two.

Fort York Redcoat
07-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Not sure what our motivation would be

Julio Cesar :scarf:

g:D

Fort York Redcoat
07-10-2017, 12:16 PM

No thanks

OgtheDim
07-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Just remember that Manning is very against this type of stuff.

paul-collins
07-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Thought the ex was usually gone by September but just looked it up and they're here till the 4th. seems they're staying for three weeks instead of the usual two.
The Ex is always 3 weekends and two weeks, and goes through Labour Day weekend.

molenshtain
07-10-2017, 01:30 PM
The Ex is always 3 weekends and two weeks, and goes through Labour Day weekend.

huh. lived in this city my whole life you'd think I'd know this shit. learn something new everyday etc.

paul-collins
07-10-2017, 02:37 PM
It's the out-of-towners who know that shit better, we had to plan our summers to include the trip to the big smoke

Blindside16
07-11-2017, 02:35 AM
There is no way this will happen. As said earlier in the thread Manning is against this type of thing and why would anyone in the front office risk anyone of starters in a friendly when we would be entering the home stretch of the season with the Shield on the line? The risk vs reward is way to far out of balance. I don't care how much potential revenue is involved, let this die.

Fort York Redcoat
07-11-2017, 07:41 AM
There is no way this will happen. As said earlier in the thread Manning is against this type of thing and why would anyone in the front office risk anyone of starters in a friendly when we would be entering the home stretch of the season with the Shield on the line? The risk vs reward is way to far out of balance. I don't care how much potential revenue is involved, let this die.

Why is anyone thinking starters for either team would be involved?

fergiejr
07-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Why is anyone thinking starters for either team would be involved?

Didn't we play a friendly recently that we had in contract that our starters would play, then as they were subbed off our guys basically went right into the dressing room? I can't recall who this was against, I'm just happy we never had to #GetUsedToIt.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen though. Their youth team up against the Twonies might be a good watch though.

Oldtimer
07-11-2017, 08:30 AM

He's said it so many times, this rumour can be considered false, unless it's TFC II.

This club isn't being run by Paul B and Tom Anselmi any more.

Didn't we play a friendly recently that we had in contract that our starters would play, then as they were subbed off our guys basically went right into the dressing room? I can't recall who this was against, I'm just happy we never had to #GetUsedToIt.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen though. Their youth team up against the Twonies might be a good watch though.

Not recently...

Blindside16
07-11-2017, 09:04 AM
He's said it so many times, this rumour can be considered false, unless it's TFC II.

Thank God for that

Red CB Toronto
07-11-2017, 09:58 AM

Not recently...

There have been two friendlies since Tom and Paul departed. Even it had TFC II players in it, the match would be marketed as against TFC.

TFC/Everton
07-11-2017, 10:40 AM
I really hope this is not true. We don't need useless friendlies!

C.Ronaldo
07-11-2017, 11:47 AM
B team cup works for me

i wont go, but It want it to happen

C.Ronaldo
07-11-2017, 11:48 AM
There have been two friendlies since Tom and Paul departed. Even it had TFC II players in it, the match would be marketed as against TFC.

this is not a friendly, its the Eusebio cup! lol

but seriously, it would look bad if benfica lost its own cup

Eusebio played in To and is a benfica God. This should happen as an honour to the legend.

He is one of the the greatest footballer to play in either city