PDA

View Full Version : Empire Supporters Club get control of their section at Giants Stadium

GabrielHurl
07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
SECAUCUS (NJ)- This afternoon at the clubs Headquarters in Secaucus ESC, represented by Corey, Jake, and Anthony met with GM Erik Stover, VP Sales/Marketing Andrew Lafiosca, Senior Ticket Rep. Dan Steeves and Senior Ticket Rep. Tim Sinclair.

The primary purpose of the meeting was to resolve the ongoing issues between the Security from the NJSEA and ESC. At the meeting a new policy was put into effect under the recommendation of Erik Stover.

From now on, the yellow shirts will no longer have primary responsibility for control in section 101. Instead Dan Steeves and Tim Sinclair, and some other Red Bulls people to be determined later will be stationed at the front of section 101 and will have primary responsibility to over see the section.

In the event there is any disturbance or any issue that needs attention they will inform one of several ESC leaders in the section and it will be up to us as a club to respond and to get the person or persons under control and to cease the improper behavior.

In the event the person does not cooperate or refuses to obey the ESC leaders request/warning then we will tell that person to leave the section. If that person refuses, then and only then will NJSEA security be called in to remove them and to face possible action from the NJSEA.

In the event there is a MAJOR issue such as a huge brawl, invasion of away fans, or any other matter that would require immediate response then NJSEA may be called in by Dan or Tim to respond.

I want people to read this over and over again. The liability of the section will now fall squarely on ESC and RB to maintain. If we want the yellows gone for good then this is the policy we need to abide by. That means respect for any ESC leader that tells you to cease in doing something and respect for any RB employee in the section that may ask you to cease. Warning will always be the first course of action, persistent infringers will be asked to leave and those that resist that request will then and only then be subject to the wrath of the NJSEA inside 101.

NOTE: This is NOT a license to do whatever the hell you want. You must still obey the rules.

No standing in isles
No throwing objects at people, players, etc.
No racial taunting
No breaking seats
No crowd surfing

NOTE: The FO is putting a lot of trust in us to pull this off and has put themselves on the line to finally do something about the yellow shirt problem we have faced over the last 13 years. As such, we expect everyone to cooperate with this new policy because none of us want to see these yellow shirts back in 101 again.

In the coming days we will identify people in ESC and introduce them to Dan and Tim so they know who to talk to if there is an issue. They don't want to come into the section themselves and would rather us as a group self police.

Thanks. Please feel free to ask any questions. Corey and Onionsack can answer them.

Good on them

werewolf
07-30-2008, 11:22 PM
that is nice to hear progress is being made in some places, completely contrast to Colorado and elsewhere...

None-the-less, the Red Bulls are still shite.

Cashcleaner
07-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Good the hear the Red Bulls finally took action and gave the fans what they were asking for. Hopefully we're looking at the start of a trend.

pekduck
07-30-2008, 11:35 PM
good win for the supporters!

should be able to set precedence to many other teams

Toronto Ruffrider
07-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Good to see that the Red Bulls have a procedure in place that covers away supporters invading their supporters' section. If only Montreal had that on June 20.

Mojo
07-31-2008, 12:38 AM
How many security officers do they need to control the 17 people in that section?

James17930
07-31-2008, 01:13 AM
A little late though, no? I mean, it's only going to be for about a year and a half and then they'll be in Red Bull Park.

You'd think they'd have done this years ago.

But, yeah -- Colorado needs to be paying attention to this.

james
07-31-2008, 01:57 AM
good for them......i wonder if they will have control of there section when they move to the new stadium next year.

profit89
07-31-2008, 05:50 AM
good win for the supporters!

should be able to set precedence to many other teams

godspeed

London
07-31-2008, 05:51 AM
NO crowd surfing!!!!!

well why else would you go??

denime
07-31-2008, 06:11 AM
A little late though, no? I mean, it's only going to be for about a year and a half and then they'll be in Red Bull Park.

You'd think they'd have done this years ago.

But, yeah -- Colorado needs to be paying attention to this.

This is just a test before they move,smart move from NYRB FO.

Shaughno
07-31-2008, 07:26 AM
MLSE ARE YOU LISTENING???????

Roogsy
07-31-2008, 07:34 AM
Wow...this is huge for them. Security at Giants Stadium has always been garbage. This can go a long way to making the atmosphere better...so long as the douchebags don't come and ruin it for the rest of them.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Hope the samething happens to Colorado.
Congrats to NY

profit89
07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
This should be a league wide move... Allow supporter groups to be self-governing, only stepping in with security as last resort. Americans are obsessed with their cops show attitude; America has turned into a police state. sad.

Shaughno
07-31-2008, 08:39 AM
This should be a league wide move... Allow supporter groups to be self-governing, only stepping in with security as last resort. Americans are obsessed with their cops show attitude; America has turned into a police state. sad.

Hate to tell you but our security isn't much better, it is, but not by much.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
I gotta admit we've never had any problems in our section and people have pitched cups (not regularly enough to warrant cops going nuts) and carry on like most of the other sections. We usually taunt the cops here and there (as well as just about everyone else) along with the usual cheering etc. What is it that sets it off in your section>

Shaughno
07-31-2008, 09:14 AM
There have been many altercations with both security and police, both justified and not. Not as bad as NY or Colorado but far from anything to be proud of.

koryo
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
MLSE ARE YOU LISTENING???????

'Course not. But it sets a precedent. It's a shame we're not on good terms with the ESC, otherwise we could take some learnings from them (ie: how'd you manage to do it?)

Phil
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
I think this was the picture that really got their FO's attention after all the years of suffering for them.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/images/2008/07/21/the_finger.jpg

Draracle
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
nice job. They had better respect this responsibility; create their own security committee, distribute rules, and ensure the vast majority are very clear on what will and will not be allowed. I think the fans would be willing to respect their own, I think misunderstandings will be avoided, and I think the whole atmosphere will improve. But I also think the FO will be less tolerant of problems when they are not in charge. If other fans start complaining there will be serious pressure to undo this progressive change.

jloome
07-31-2008, 01:57 PM
This was inevitable; the club was going to face legal action eventually, as that security detail has a history of targeting ethnic minorities and beating the shit out of them for no reason; and, in fact, of violence in general.

BBBulldog
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM

I don't think most MLS groups have necessary people and ability to self-police.

Hopefully that doesn't mean shitheels that were in 101 get moved to away sector cos we're going up there next week :D

Keystone FC
08-01-2008, 05:53 AM
I think this was the picture that really got their FO's attention after all the years of suffering for them.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/images/2008/07/21/the_finger.jpg

Yep, NEW JERSEY IS #1!

Keystone FC
08-01-2008, 05:58 AM
How many security officers do they need to control the 17 people in that section?
Well, now that they will be securing themselves most of the group will be in front of sec 101 looking at the 5 people that they need to monitor.:D

All joking aside. This is good news for supporters in general throughout the league. It does set a tone to be followed by the rest of clubs and it puts more responsibility in the hands a shoulders of the supporters. This should weed out any goons that just want to cause trouble in the supporters sections.

BBBulldog
08-01-2008, 11:11 AM
All joking aside. This is good news for supporters in general throughout the league. It does set a tone to be followed by the rest of clubs and it puts more responsibility in the hands a shoulders of the supporters. This should weed out any goons that just want to cause trouble in the supporters sections.

I fail to see how this has to do with anything changing outside Giants Stadium, let alone league.

(btw we've been basically free of their security in GS for last few years since last erm... heated debate we had with security :D) They've finally done same thing too and it worked.

Keystone FC
08-02-2008, 03:27 AM
I fail to see how this has to do with anything changing outside Giants Stadium, let alone league.

(btw we've been basically free of their security in GS for last few years since last erm... heated debate we had with security :D) They've finally done same thing too and it worked.

I'm just saying that this may be something that other clubs/supporters who are in the same boat (mainly Colorado) can look to as a solution to whatever problems they may be having. If it works in NY then it may be effective in other cities, but like Billy Bragg said: You can borrow ideas but you can't borrow situations.