PDA

View Full Version : Victor Vazquez, our "4th DP"

Oldtimer
05-27-2017, 10:24 AM
He may not be on Designated Player wages, but he could easily be a Designated Player on any MLS team. What a great player. This thread is to express some Vazquez appreciation.

http://youtu.be/oPmaNc47rCg

Red CB Toronto
05-27-2017, 10:36 AM
What an epic night, the true player maker this team needed. Love it that he is essentially a 4 DP without actually being one. Reminds me very much of all the massaging of the roster that LA has did in the past with players like Ashley Cole etc. What a treat to watch Victor is.

http://tnimage.taiwannews.com.tw/photos/shares/AP/20170527/a0b67d82277a41a38d74e48ecc5abb08.jpg

charlieocc
05-27-2017, 11:15 AM
I think I'm getting a Vazquez jersey. Being this excited by a player reminds me of when Seba first came to town.

Richard
05-27-2017, 11:34 AM
I think he is the most intelligent player on the pitch just ahead of Cheyrou.

shwade
05-27-2017, 12:15 PM
He is a treat to watch..and boy are we lucky to have gotten him, let alone as a non-DP. IQ reminds me of Cheyrou but with more pazzaz.

James17930
05-27-2017, 01:30 PM
And he absolutely loves being here.

https://breddydotorg.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/michael-scott-the-office-win-win-win.png

mowe
05-27-2017, 04:25 PM
He may not be on Designated Player wages, but he could easily be a Designated Player on any MLS team. What a great player. This thread is to express some Vazquez appreciation.

Except he is on DP wages, he makes $700k. TAM was created to sign exactly this kind of player. Credit to the front office for finding the perfect player to take this team to the next level.

BenRhodes23
05-27-2017, 08:25 PM
I think he is the most intelligent player on the pitch just ahead of Cheyrou.

Agreed.

Blizzard
05-28-2017, 12:49 AM

http://youtu.be/oPmaNc47rCg

Bez deserves so much credit for getting Cheyrou and Vazquez onto this roster. To have two tried, true and proven Euro league veterans on this salary capped MLS roster behind the three DP's is truly miraculous.

TFC must be the envy of the league regarding these two fantastic players.

We are so fortunate!

leedsandTFC
05-28-2017, 07:36 AM
it honestly feels like we are on a different level to almost every team we play.

Gringo Starr
05-28-2017, 10:23 AM
What I am realizing is that Vazquez is the perfect pairing for Bradley. In the first few games I was worried in that Victor wasn't tracking back but with him on the pitch Bradley has a perfect outlet, the ball gets up the field much quicker, he doesn't seem to be running all over the place or getting caught in possession doing his pirouette thing. With less on his plate on the offensive side he has been a rock star this year defensively providing cover, breaking up plays, being deep and ready for passes from the back 3. No doubt playing with someone of Bradley's caliber is likely a reason that Vasquez has made a quick adjustment to MLS.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-28-2017, 03:21 PM
I'm going to say a big thing here, I wonder how many will agree:

If all of Seba, Bradley, Jozy and Victor would at the top of their form, and would have the same age (let's say 26) in a first class Euro team. Victor would be considered the most valuable asset for that team compared to the other 3 guys, and would be paid the most money. He would be slightly ahead of Seba and Jozy, in this order.

bigredone
05-28-2017, 07:39 PM
He is just lovely.

SoccMan2
05-28-2017, 08:39 PM
It's crazy and makes no sense but there have been players play in the MLS with much bigger pedigree in terms of where they played before coming to the MLS and not have the same effect that Vasquez has had on this league so far, but looking at him play so far it boggles the mind that the highest level he really played at was the Belgium league, I mean really I'm sure he could have played for any other team in the Spanish league not named Barcelona or Real Madrid or even in France or Germany or in Italy why did he end up in Belgium a league not that much better than MLS?

PAOK17
05-28-2017, 08:53 PM
What I am realizing is that Vazquez is the perfect pairing for Bradley. In the first few games I was worried in that Victor wasn't tracking back but with him on the pitch Bradley has a perfect outlet, the ball gets up the field much quicker, he doesn't seem to be running all over the place or getting caught in possession doing his pirouette thing. With less on his plate on the offensive side he has been a rock star this year defensively providing cover, breaking up plays, being deep and ready for passes from the back 3. No doubt playing with someone of Bradley's caliber is likely a reason that Vasquez has made a quick adjustment to MLS.You're absolutely right! I have also noticed that there are fewer of those overhit Bradley long passes that we would see in his first 2 seasons. With Vazquez on the pitch there is less pressure for him to do that.

molenshtain
05-28-2017, 08:58 PM
He only left Barcelona when he was 24. not a lot of time to move up the ranks after that.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2017, 07:44 AM
He confuses me. He's an exceptional player from Europe. Shouldn't he have more tattoos?

Srsly what a treat to have him here.

BelfastBoy
05-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Anything short of another appearance in the Final will be a disappointment, with this group and this much depth.

Oldtimer
05-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Anything short of another appearance in the Final will be a disappointment, with this group and this much depth.

Even when LA was similarly dominant, due to a similarly well constructed roster (as well as MLS changing their rules to meet Beckham's, I mean LA's needs) they didn't get there every year. This is a league of parity.

Still, with Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore, and (to get back on topic) Vazquez, expectations are high.

molenshtain
05-29-2017, 08:57 AM
Even when LA was similarly dominant, due to a similarly well constructed roster (as well as MLS changing their rules to meet Beckham's, I mean LA's needs) they didn't get there every year. This is a league of parity.

Still, with Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore, and (to get back on topic) Vazquez, expectations are high.

pretty sure they won it 3 out of 4 years and had a couple supporters shield trophies to go with that. That team was crazy good.

Although, I think this team does definitely have the potential to be as good as either the 2011 or 2014 Galaxy sides, probably the two best MLS sides I've seen since I started watching the league. If this team is really ambitious they're chasing a treble and 70 points. A ton would have to go right but it's potentially within the realm of possibility.

Now i'm getting ahead of myself too. It's hard not to get carried away and dream big things for this team. I suppose we should just see how things are after the gold cup. Things'll be more clear then.

C.Ronaldo
05-29-2017, 09:10 AM
this team and style was built around the mould of a player like vasquez.

hes the centre piece that just came last.

this is team is the definition of SYNERGY

players that others teams were done with .....

zavaleta
delgado
jozy
mavinga
rickets (kind of)
Haglund (down at tfc 2 at one point)
Hamilton (portugal threw him back and said no thanks pretty quickly)
even hernedez is solid depth

then you have the young guys TFC is holding onto with so much upside
chapman, osorio, edwards, hamilton, Bono

not to mention the coach himself was an incredible find

Bez is a genius, end of discussion. We can never second guess him again

Oldtimer
05-29-2017, 09:19 AM
I guess Bez's strong point is in seeing potential where it's not evident yet. Vazquez himself is an exception to this. He already was seen as talented, it's hard to get in with a MX team as a foreigner unless you are really good. Why Vazquez didn't like Mexico and how Bez convinced him to come here are things that I'd like to know. Even if that won't be revealed, I'm just happy Vazquez is here to help our talented squad.

Gringo Starr
05-29-2017, 10:13 AM
My understanding is that someone told Victor that Mista once scored against Cruz Azul and he decided then and there that he could never wear that jersey again.

Section_105
05-29-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm a charter member of the Victor Vazquez appreciation society. From the moment he stepped on the pitch for us it has been a pleasure to watch him. Now that the rest of the team is starting to catch on to what he can offer they have stepped up a level for sure. Him and Cheyrou on at the same time is bewildering to watch. Both so silky and unhurried but always getting the ball away in time. There was one bad square pass by Victor in the game and it was glaringly obvious but he had no outlets at the time and chose an option that would have made it to bradley had the defender not read it so well.

:flare:

charlieocc
05-29-2017, 10:27 AM
I guess Bez's strong point is in seeing potential where it's not evident yet. Vazquez himself is an exception to this. He already was seen as talented, it's hard to get in with a MX team as a foreigner unless you are really good. Why Vazquez didn't like Mexico and how Bez convinced him to come here are things that I'd like to know. Even if that won't be revealed, I'm just happy Vazquez is here to help our talented squad.
Yeah I think Bez might also have a gift for convincing players to come here. I know they tried to get Vazquez at the same time they got Seba, but he was still happy in Belgium then I think. Bez kept an eye on him though.

Ben - D.O.W.
05-29-2017, 10:57 AM
There was one bad square pass by Victor in the game and it was glaringly obvious but he had no outlets at the time and chose an option that would have made it to bradley had the defender not read it so well.

I think the most telling thing about that pass was how shocking it was - that's the first one I can remember all season from him, and we're 14 games in.

Section_105
05-29-2017, 11:15 AM
I think the most telling thing about that pass was how shocking it was - that's the first one I can remember all season from him, and we're 14 games in.

that's why it was so jarring to me as well. but when I watched the replay there was nothing else open so even in the bad pass it was the 2nd best option. maybe should have put it out but he couldn't see the lurking midfielder with two guys on his back.

Jack
05-29-2017, 03:33 PM
It's crazy and makes no sense but there have been players play in the MLS with much bigger pedigree in terms of where they played before coming to the MLS and not have the same effect that Vasquez has had on this league so far, but looking at him play so far it boggles the mind that the highest level he really played at was the Belgium league, I mean really I'm sure he could have played for any other team in the Spanish league not named Barcelona or Real Madrid or even in France or Germany or in Italy why did he end up in Belgium a league not that much better than MLS?
He's good, but not I don't think he's "any other team in Spain" good. Maybe on a lower-half team, he could be effective in a rotation, but he had his chance to impress while he was over there and didn't, which is why he spent so many years at Barcelona B. MLS is a league where "string-puller" players seem to do well.

Anyway, I'm just glad we have him and he's playing so well for us. He really is proving to be the missing piece of the midfield puzzle.

Richard
05-29-2017, 05:52 PM

Mexico isn't the safest country in the world and Toronto is an extremely attractive destination for footballers. MLS will be the #1 destination for players outside of Europe in the future, the lifestyle you can live here greatly exceeds a lot of other countries.

Here is a quote from Larson article.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/21/new-red-vazquez-is-all-about-teamwork

FAMILY FIRST: VAZQUEZ

Victor Vazquez’s young son, Leo, played pitchside during Tuesday’s training.
His wife, Andrea, was just steps away, taking in the Florida sun with a smile on her face.
“My family is really happy to be here,” Vazquez said. “Everybody that talks about Toronto are saying amazing things — the safety, everybody helps you, they are friendly.
“We will feel at home very fast, I think.”
Vazquez says it wasn’t the same in Mexico City, where while playing for Cruz Azul, his family didn’t feel safe.
He told the Toronto Sun following Tuesday’s training that he preferred not to talk about certain occurrences that provoked him to go to Cruz Azul brass and ask to be released.

boozilla
05-30-2017, 02:36 AM
Yes, MLS and T.O. is 'family-friendlier' and safer for players like Vasquez.
Mexico is a beautiful country, crippled by a drug war.
However, after +2 decades of narco mayhem, Liga MX still manages to routinely kick our DP-laden MLS asses.
I'd love to see more MLS vs Liga MX games in a Cup format. ( Not the current CONCACAF sideshows)
(Newsflash: NOBODY gives a shit about the Trillium Cup.)

Derko
05-30-2017, 05:26 AM
He's good, but not I don't think he's "any other team in Spain" good. Maybe on a lower-half team, he could be effective in a rotation, but he had his chance to impress while he was over there and didn't, which is why he spent so many years at Barcelona B. MLS is a league where "string-puller" players seem to do well.

Anyway, I'm just glad we have him and he's playing so well for us. He really is proving to be the missing piece of the midfield puzzle.

Another observation is the Spanish league and a few other Continental leagues play a different tactic, I observe that the players appear to be intent on ball control, tic-tac pass, pass, pass and are essentially allowed the time on the ball, where as MLS seem to attack the player with possession far more urgently. Just an observation.

ensco
05-30-2017, 05:27 AM
He gave a pretty interesting interview to 4-4-2 a week ago. Just the idea that he is a good friend of Messi's (makes sense, they are almost the same age) kind of gives you goosebumps.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/victor-vazquez-toronto-fc-interview-perfect-fit-messi-iniesta-xavi-would-love-mls

Which got me searching for stories about Messi and Vazquez at La Masia, they were together for 10 years, from age 13 on. There are A TON of old stories about them out there in the Barcelona sports papers.

Get this: everyone (Messi included) thought Vazquez was the best player from the cohort born in 1987 at La Masia! that group includes Messi, Pique, Fabregas. Vazquez was a striker back then.

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2010/12/09/mas_futbol/1291879648_850215.html
http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/six-of-the-best-la-masia-graduates-that-got-away-340037

I understand better now why Vazquez didn't bounce around Spain the way so many Barcelona B and Real Madrid Castilla guys do. Victor was famous, real royalty, that can be heavy when you can't catch a break. Imagine being "the guy who was supposed to be better than Messi" and getting reminded of it every day. Better to start fresh.

Oldtimer
05-30-2017, 06:58 AM
^ good find, it's pretty amazing seeing our player with all those famous players.

OgtheDim
05-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Another observation is the Spanish league and a few other Continental leagues play a different tactic, I observe that the players appear to be intent on ball control, tic-tac pass, pass, pass and are essentially allowed the time on the ball, where as MLS seem to attack the player with possession far more urgently. Just an observation.

I think it was Silva & Pirlo a couple of seasons ago who observed that MLS players are not as rigorous as Europeans in keeping to their position on the field. They jump in and expect somebody else to recover for them if a player gets past; whereas in Europe players will hold a position knowing that if they deviate that's a danger. This is one of the reasons why it takes players from Europe a game or two to adjust. As Giovinco said last year, defensively MLS is just not all that good.

This is why quick ball movement is key for us. Move it around quickly and eventually somebody makes a mistake and bang goes a pass from one of our better technical players and we are in with a chance.

Areathrasher
05-30-2017, 08:14 AM
I've posted this before but given he has his own thread now, i'll do it again.

ESPNFC piece on Vasquez from the time he was at Brugge and they were about to play Man United in CL qualifiers

http://www.espnfc.com/uefa-champions-league/2/blog/post/2567947/lionel-messi-victor-vazquez-brugge-manchester-united

Jack
05-30-2017, 09:32 AM
He gave a pretty interesting interview to 4-4-2 a week ago. Just the idea that he is a good friend of Messi's (makes sense, they are almost the same age) kind of gives you goosebumps.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/victor-vazquez-toronto-fc-interview-perfect-fit-messi-iniesta-xavi-would-love-mls

Which got me searching for stories about Messi and Vazquez at La Masia, they were together for 10 years, from age 13 on. There are A TON of old stories about them out there in the Barcelona sports papers.

Get this: everyone (Messi included) thought Vazquez was the best player from the cohort born in 1987 at La Masia! that group includes Messi, Pique, Fabregas. Vazquez was a striker back then.

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2010/12/09/mas_futbol/1291879648_850215.html
http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/six-of-the-best-la-masia-graduates-that-got-away-340037

I understand better now why Vazquez didn't bounce around Spain the way so many Barcelona B and Real Madrid Castilla guys do. Victor was famous, real royalty, that can be heavy when you can't catch a break. Imagine being "the guy who was supposed to be better than Messi" and getting reminded of it every day. Better to start fresh.

High praise, indeed. Nevertheless, being the best when you're 16 doesn't mean, as we've seen many times, that you'll be the best when you're 20 or 25. His injury issues seem to really have stunted some of his potential, although we can see the quality. Look at Pablo Vitti, who was mentioned as one of the better of Argentina's young crop at that WC here at BMO all those years ago. What Vazquez' history does mean, for me, is that he has the pedigree, the training and the confidence that come from being at one of the best organizations in the world and playing regularly with the best players in the world for many years. His career may have taken a different direction for the many reasons that can happen, but we can see his pedigree every time he steps on the pitch. This was an inspired signing by Bez.

ESPNFC piece on Vasquez from the time he was at Brugge and they were about to play Man United in CL qualifiers

http://www.espnfc.com/uefa-champions-league/2/blog/post/2567947/lionel-messi-victor-vazquez-brugge-manchester-united
"I never saw a better duo on the pitch than Vazquez and Messi," recalled youth coach Alex Garcia, who coached them during the 2002-03 season."

Auzzy
05-30-2017, 09:39 AM

That's a great article, thanks. I missed it last time you posted.

ensco
05-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Thanks.

Wow. He named his son Leo.

ensco
05-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Vazquez is a fantastic teammate.

Remember the near fistfight between Gilberto and Defoe?

Ricketts was going to take the PK Friday. He'd earned it, and he grabbed the ball Gilberto style. He lines up. Bradley quietly walks up and taps him on the shoulder. Step aside.

Ricketts, to his eternal credit, quietly steps aside.

This episode speaks volumes to me. Vazquez didn't want to show up his teammate, he is no Defoe, but Bradley does the right thing, maybe to help the team win (not sure about that, Ricketts is a worthy PK taker) but more importantly to show the great respect that Vazquez has earned. Ricketts is a stud too - no way he liked it, in a way it wasn't fair, but he did what the captain said. Then he went out and made a couple of other plays that led to goals or near goals.

I love these guys. They all showed greatness in that moment, in different ways.

TFC Tifoso
05-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Ricketts was going to take the PK Friday. He'd earned it, and he grabbed the ball Gilberto style. He lines up. Bradley quietly walks up and taps him on the shoulder. Step aside.

This episode speaks volumes to me. Vazquez didn't want to show up his teammate, he is no Defoe, but Bradley does the right thing, maybe to help the team win (not sure about that, Ricketts is a worthy PK taker) but more importantly to show the great respect that Vazquez has earned. Ricketts is a stud too - no way he liked it, in a way it wasn't fair, but he did what the captain said. Then he went out and made a couple of other plays that led to goals or near goals.

totally agree.....aside from playing as well as they are, perhaps the most impressive thing about this team is the team spirit.

and while yes, this speaks about the character the guys have, a lot of it I feel is on the coach as well....we all know that much bigger egos of much lesser players have sunk this team in the past, so its awesome to see the unity now.

fergiejr
05-30-2017, 12:21 PM
I really can't get over that free kick on Friday where he kept it low. That has to be a lot harder than it looks, to get that kind of speed on the ball and keep it down.

For what it's worth, I was calling for the low kick the entire time - I think he heard me. :-)

Defoe
05-30-2017, 10:53 PM
It's just shocking how Toronto has found all these players for such low dollars. Even at 700 k, Vasquez is a steal. He didn't have a great year at Cruz Azul but was still the most high profile player on that team.

Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore, Vazquez, Moor is the best spine in MLS history. The fact it's complimented by the most depth in MLS history, is a good recipe for success. I'd love to see what this team could do with a fully healthy squad against teams in Mexico and bottom table Italy

Jack
05-31-2017, 10:52 AM

Good observation.

C.Ronaldo
05-31-2017, 03:18 PM
I really can't get over that free kick on Friday where he kept it low. That has to be a lot harder than it looks, to get that kind of speed on the ball and keep it down.

For what it's worth, I was calling for the low kick the entire time - I think he heard me. :-)

its true

Messi called me up and told me that vasquez heard you in the crowd and decided to follow your advice lol
:drinking:

oldtraffordPEI
05-31-2017, 03:53 PM
geez, even named his son Leo

Maybe Messi will come retire in the MLS someday, lets get Victor on that ASAP lol

Jokes aside, Bez deserves a lot of credit. The guy is a dream fit for TFC

⚒WHUFC⚒
06-01-2017, 05:39 AM
Fantastic signing. Very clever player.

ManUtd4ever
06-01-2017, 08:17 AM
He could very well be the best player that was acquired in the MLS off season.

Ben - D.O.W.
06-01-2017, 02:40 PM
He could very well be the best player that was acquired in the MLS off season.

I'd think it would have to be between him and Nemanja Nikolic. Maybe Miguel Almiron (would he count with Atlanta only joining this year)?

InDa_110
06-01-2017, 09:27 PM
I've said since the beginning of the season that he is phenomenal. Even having to fend off suggestions that he was comparible to Osorio on these boards early on. I am glad to see everyone is really getting behind him.

If the MLS season ended right now, I would say he is front runner for league MVP, and I will bet if his play continues at this level he is a favourite to win it at the end of the year.

CBTFC
06-02-2017, 08:49 AM
Even having to fend off suggestions that he was comparible to Osorio on these boards early on.

Can't believe ANYONE had to waste time and energy on that discussion, lol.

Section_105
06-02-2017, 09:06 AM
two more assists Wednesday night (cup games and all but still)

That ball that split the centre backs on the Gio goal was particularly inspired. when he and cheyrou were juggling the ball back and forth in our end to break the press.....if I'd been on the field I would have probably just stood and watched.

Oldtimer
06-02-2017, 09:16 AM
I've said since the beginning of the season that he is phenomenal. Even having to fend off suggestions that he was comparible to Osorio on these boards early on. I am glad to see everyone is really getting behind him.

If the MLS season ended right now, I would say he is front runner for league MVP, and I will bet if his play continues at this level he is a favourite to win it at the end of the year.

It was Canary10 in this thread. I guess first impressions could be misleading: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40219-Match-Day-5-The-Night-The-Reds-Drive-Old-Dixie-Down-ATL-TFC-Sat-April-8-7-30-PM/page6

Really? Vazquez is mediocre. Certainly no better than Osorio. (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40219-Match-Day-5-The-Night-The-Reds-Drive-Old-Dixie-Down-ATL-TFC-Sat-April-8-7-30-PM/page6)

C.Ronaldo
06-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Can't believe ANYONE had to waste time and energy on that discussion, lol.

but he is, language and height....ishh

BenRhodes23
06-02-2017, 10:48 AM
I think Almiron has been better but it's between those 2 and Villa for MVP at this point

69Chevy396
06-02-2017, 12:41 PM
It's just shocking how Toronto has found all these players for such low dollars. Even at 700 k, Vasquez is a steal. He didn't have a great year at Cruz Azul but was still the most high profile player on that team.

Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore, Vazquez, Moor is the best spine in MLS history. The fact it's complimented by the most depth in MLS history, is a good recipe for success. I'd love to see what this team could do with a fully healthy squad against teams in Mexico and bottom table Italy
There are a lot Giovinco and Moor caliber players in Italy, not sure TFC could compete on a regular basis. But, they are much closer now than a few years ago, when the worst team in Serie B/C would easily beat them.

TFC1154ever
06-02-2017, 01:22 PM
I watch a lot of Serie A, and I can honestly say, if TFC only had to play league games in Serie A, i think they could stay up. Would be a dog fight, but this team has about 7-8 guys that could definitely kick it in Serie A year after year.

CBTFC
06-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Time to get this thread back up to the top!

This guy is simply on another planet when it comes to his vision, calmness and overall presence.

And he's still only 30! Certainly making a strong case to finish out his career here.

OgtheDim
06-24-2017, 07:50 AM
His defensive work last night was excellent. He's never going to get back as quick as a DM; but he covers ground way more then he was at the beginning of the season.

Detroit_TFC
06-24-2017, 11:36 AM
There is something to be said for timing. Vazquez seems to be the right guy at the right time for what he can provide. I wonder if he had been signed previously whether too much would be asked from him, in terms of expectations.

JuliquE
06-24-2017, 01:25 PM
His defensive work last night was excellent. He's never going to get back as quick as a DM; but he covers ground way more then he was at the beginning of the season.
Fairness, when he was obviously still finding his fitness… but, point taken. =)

JuliquE
06-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Fairness, when he was obviously still finding his fitness… but, point taken. =)

There is something to be said for timing. Vazquez seems to be the right guy at the right time for what he can provide. I wonder if he had been signed previously whether too much would be asked from him, in terms of expectations.
Very intriguing, that; I actually think you might be right, there.

jloome
06-24-2017, 05:06 PM

I've watched MLS now since 1999, and he's the best passer in league history, right up there with Valderrama and Barros Schelotto. They were in a league with much weaker defending. I mean, the guy's touch is insane.

General Woolfe
06-24-2017, 06:12 PM
I'll confess it took me a little while to warm to Victor. At first, for every killer pass he made, another was going astray. However, the past 8 games or so he's really come into his own and I now see him as a very valuable part of the TFC lineup. Hopefully he is the missing piece that will carry us to the MLS Cup this year

Fingers crossed...

paul-collins
06-24-2017, 07:05 PM
There's a trickle down effect to his vision, too - I saw more than just him attempting those passes over the last two games, and many times they're connecting. Not just from him, either - others are trying to search out those paths as well.

I think it's in part because the players off the ball are moving as if those passes are inevitable now. Lots more opportunity for all. The passing on this team is very entertaining, and it's forcing defences to really stretch and react to try to cut them out. This ends up tiring the opposing mids and backs by the time we get to about 75 minutes in...

TheGoodson
06-24-2017, 09:53 PM
I've watched MLS now since 1999, and he's the best passer in league history, right up there with Valderrama and Barros Schelotto. They were in a league with much weaker defending. I mean, the guy's touch is insane.

Funny enough I was speaking with a Argentine friend of my mind after yesterday's game and he was saying that Vasquez remind him so much Schelotto. From his movement, touch and passing range. He said the only thing Schelotto was better in his opinion was finishing. Which got us speaking on how far the league has matured in 10 years. When now someone outside of a DP is so influential on the best team in the mls.

Leedsoronto
06-25-2017, 10:51 AM
That pass for Sebastian G goal in the last minute was world class !

Oldtimer
09-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Seeing how TFC plays when Vazquez is healthy and firing on all cylinders, vs when TFC does not have that makes it so clear how much VV is a part of the puzzle. Bez and Vanney and co deserve a lot of credit for how they have assembled this team.

mistercorporate
09-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Seeing how TFC plays when Vazquez is healthy and firing on all cylinders, vs when TFC does not have that makes it so clear how much VV is a part of the puzzle. Bez and Vanney and co deserve a lot of credit for how they have assembled this team.

It may sound crazy from a guy with a display pic like mine (Giovinco is still our talisman!), but Victor Vazquez is now my favourite player on this team. He has Will Johnson's feistiness and Giovinco's skill...a class above!

Cuppy
09-25-2017, 05:36 PM
It may sound crazy from a guy with a display pic like mine (Giovinco is still our talisman!), but Victor Vazquez is now my favourite player on this team. He has Will Johnson's feistiness and Giovinco's skill...a class above!
Wil Johnsons feistiness you say :facepalm:

fergiejr
09-25-2017, 06:04 PM
VV for RPB man of the year. Start printing the scarves and put me down for one. ;-)

Cuppy
09-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Count me in

Tfc/lfc
09-30-2017, 09:15 PM
A very very smart footballer with great vision and touch. Team guy, hard worker, unselfish....this guy is a great find and has played a huge part in our success

Excellent.

ensco
10-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Anyone know how bad that hamstring is?

That didn't look good.

Red4ever
10-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Victor Vasquez baby,
Victor Vasquez ohhhhhhhhhh

Redpunkfiddle
10-02-2017, 08:08 AM
Ole ole ole oleeee

Vasquez! Vaaaasquez!

noimpactinmtl
10-02-2017, 03:14 PM
We got Vazquez! Victor Vazquez

i just don’t think you understand

He came from Catalan

He’s Leo Messi’s man

We got Victor Vazquez

Defoe
10-05-2017, 08:17 PM
We got Vazquez! Victor Vazquez

i just don’t think you understand

He came from Catalan

He’s Leo Messi’s man

We got Victor Vazquez

Vazquez thinks the game as well as anyone in MLS. His vision, passing and plays leave me in awe. He doesn't have very good pace so he's not Valeri or Piatti (who are paid as top DP'S) But the guy is literally the perfect connector in the middle for this team. Such a blessing honestly. I hope he can be a big part of this team for another 2-3 years.

Section_105
10-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Last night at the Footy talks panels the media panel was unanimous that VV is player of the year (Molinaro, Armstrong, Kloke). And I couldn't argue with their reasoning. The only caveat they gave was that Bradley was Playing so strong in the Defensive mid that it allows VV all the time and space to do his thing so maybe Bradley should be in the running as well.

but I think it's Vazquez all day. Hopefully he is fully recovered after this break.

ensco
10-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Anyone know how bad that hamstring is?

That didn't look good.

Bumping. There has been zero discussion of this to my knowledge, here or in the media. Anyone know anything?

Oldtimer
10-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Bumping. There has been zero discussion of this to my knowledge, here or in the media. Anyone know anything?

Vanney has said all players are available next match, which lets us know that VV is fine.