PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 13 TFC @ NYRB Friday May 19 7:30pm - Keep It Going

OgtheDim
05-14-2017, 09:37 AM
For those into chill ambient music

https://play.anghami.com/song/17234973

Have At it People

Fort York Redcoat
05-14-2017, 10:23 AM
I WILL be at Joe's for this one.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

andyc
05-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Anyone thinking of going to the game? We're kinda tempted given it's the long weekend.... Did anyone get tickets?

OgtheDim
05-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Energy drinks just had their first home loss in the regular season since April of last year. They will be motivated but have issues. Not much width and teams can play in front of their back 4. Will be a tough game no matter what.

notthesun
05-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Should Irwin start this after Bono had what looked like a bit of a pulled hamstring last game? Rotate regardless? Or is Bono #1 now and we ride him? Curious to see what Vanney does here.

Richard
05-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Should Irwin start this after Bono had what looked like a bit of a pulled hamstring last game? Rotate regardless? Or is Bono #1 now and we ride him? Curious to see what Vanney does here.

I think we should be looking to move Irwin and make Bono #1. It makes no sense to have two #1 keepers.

notthesun
05-14-2017, 10:05 PM
I think we should be looking to move Irwin and make Bono #1. It makes no sense to have two #1 keepers.

We'll move one eventually, but I think it's fine for now. Irwin is on a reasonable deal and Bono is cheap.

Who knows if we'd have won all our last 6 games with only one of them.

DinamoTFC
05-14-2017, 11:15 PM
Makes perfect sense to have 2 number 1 keepers. Seasons are long. Extra competitions in CCL and Canada Cup. Irwin already had 2 injuries and the same could happen to Bono at any time. Plus Irwin and bono are on decent or low salaries which makes little impact on salary cap.

I can't believe people complain about everything. This team is depth. That's what u need to win. No point in ruining what's good.

James17930
05-14-2017, 11:49 PM
I think Irwin starts this one, then maybe Bono again next Tuesday.

Section_105
05-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Bono looked to have tweeked the hammy so that may make the decision for Vanney. I love having the "Problem" of having choice. The challenge will be keeping everyone happy.

Oldtimer
05-16-2017, 06:52 AM
Makes perfect sense to have 2 number 1 keepers. Seasons are long. Extra competitions in CCL and Canada Cup. Irwin already had 2 injuries and the same could happen to Bono at any time. Plus Irwin and bono are on decent or low salaries which makes little impact on salary cap.

I can't believe people complain about everything. This team is depth. That's what u need to win. No point in ruining what's good.

Agreed. It's not like we are hard up against the "cap" and are only surviving on allocation like the mismanaged teams of TFC past. As long as both keepers are happy enough, we're good to have depth on every position.

Graeme
05-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Hmmm? Something like this:

-----------------------Irwin---------------------------
--Beitashour--Zavaleta--Moor--Mavinga--Morrow--
------------Bradley--Vasquez----Delgado-----------
---------Altidore---------Ricketts-------------------

Bench: Bono, Hernandez, Chapman, Edwards, Cooper, Endoh?, Hamilton?, Spencer?

Joe Kool
05-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Hmmm? Something like this:

-----------------------Irwin---------------------------
--Beitashour--Zavaleta--Moor--Mavinga--Morrow--
------------Bradley--Vasquez----Delgado-----------
---------Altidore---------Ricketts-------------------

Bench: Bono, Hernandez, Chapman, Edwards, Cooper, Endoh?, Hamilton?, Spencer?

I know Ricketts is earning his starting spot right now in Seba's absence but I kind of like bringing him in at full speed with 30 min or so left to go in the game. He makes a really great supersub and really gives the tiring defenders alot of grief. Wonder if anyone else has been decent enough in training to step up and play beside Altidore in a starting role. I know it won't happen and Ricketts will get the start but just for conversation sake.

Oldtimer
05-16-2017, 02:28 PM
I know Ricketts is earning his starting spot right now in Seba's absence but I kind of like bringing him in at full speed with 30 min or so left to go in the game. He makes a really great supersub and really gives the tiring defenders alot of grief. Wonder if anyone else has been decent enough in training to step up and play beside Altidore in a starting role. I know it won't happen and Ricketts will get the start but just for conversation sake.

Ben Spencer (recently promoted to the first team) is potentially good enough, but I would see him ATM as depth, not as a starter.

A bigger issue as a coach is keeping your talent happy. Ricketts wants to start, he realizes he is depth behind Jozy and Seba, but he would not be happy if he didn't get the start when the opportunity came. TBH he deserves it. I do prefer him as a super sub, but his own feelings play a part in managing him.

ScarboroughRed
05-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Wonder if they'd ever try Edwards up top with Altidore. IIRC, he was a striker right?

He's a pretty strong player on the ball, like Giovinco. Would be cool to give him a shot at his natural position.

Joe Kool
05-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Wonder if they'd ever try Edwards up top with Altidore. IIRC, he was a striker right?

He's a pretty strong player on the ball, like Giovinco. Would be cool to give him a shot at his natural position.

Actually that would be a handful I think for defenders and could be fun to watch. Never thought of him in that role.

Joe Kool
05-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Ben Spencer (recently promoted to the first team) is potentially good enough, but I would see him ATM as depth, not as a starter.

A bigger issue as a coach is keeping your talent happy. Ricketts wants to start, he realizes he is depth behind Jozy and Seba, but he would not be happy if he didn't get the start when the opportunity came. TBH he deserves it. I do prefer him as a super sub, but his own feelings play a part in managing him.

I hear ya. He will get the start based on pecking order and results as of late especially. The way it needs to be to keep the player happy. Let's hope he can get another head on the ball again for a goal or two.

Jack
05-16-2017, 04:33 PM
I hope we can see Moor step back in. I'm really disappointed for Hagglund as he was really starting to look like a guy who could be our defensive anchor for a decade up until that knee moment. Here's hoping he bounces back quickly and continues his development.

boozilla
05-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Of late, Hagglund was killer at neutralizing crosses into the box. I hope Mavinga has been watching. Also, I love Cooper. He will settle down. Him losing the ball after pretzeling two guys keeps defenders guessing and is so much better than losing it by our old-school hoofball approach.

backbeat
05-16-2017, 11:49 PM
-------------------------Irwin---------------------------
-Beitashour-Zavaleta--Moor--Morrow--Edwards--
------------------------Cheyrou-------------------------
----------Bradley----------------Vasquez---------------

-------------Altidore-----------Ricketts---------------

or

-Beitashour-Zavaleta--Moor--Hernandez--Morrow--
-----------Bradley-----------------Vasquez---------------
-------Ricketts--------Altidore------------Edwards-----------

subs: Bono, Mavinga, Morgan, Chapman, Cooper, Hamilton, Spencer

shwade
05-17-2017, 06:59 AM
Of late, Hagglund was killer at neutralizing crosses into the box. I hope Mavinga has been watching. Also, I love Cooper. He will settle down. Him losing the ball after pretzeling two guys keeps defenders guessing and is so much better than losing it by our old-school hoofball approach.

Nah, the way he tries to dribble around 2-3 defenders all the fucking time instead of passing makes it seem like he's always trying for that highlight reel play. Just make the fucking pass instead of trying to be a showman.

CBTFC
05-17-2017, 07:40 AM
As a Pittsburgh Penguins supporter (91/92 teams greatest of all time), I fully support the 2 goalkeeper theory. There was tons of speculation that we were going to trade Fleury at the deadline, and we wouldn't be this far into the playoffs without him.

Healthy competition in net can only be a good thing.

ag futbol
05-17-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm all for taking on defenders and not just having a go at a guy cause he lost the ball on a dribble rather than a gutless hoof upfield, however Cooper just doesn't know when to pick his spots.

If you look at Edwards, he takes on guys all the time but it's generally 1) selective 2) with an end goal in mind (cross, shot, whatever).

Cooper is taking on guys for whatever reason and the worst part is if he beats his man he's still not releasing the ball or providing an end product. He has to rethink what he's doing here.

paul-collins
05-17-2017, 01:28 PM
-Beitashour-Zavaleta--Moor--Morrow--Edwards--
----------Bradley----------------Vasquez---------------

-------------Altidore-----------Ricketts---------------

or

-Beitashour-Zavaleta--Moor--Hernandez--Morrow--
-----------Bradley-----------------Vasquez---------------
-------Ricketts--------Altidore------------Edwards-----------

subs: Bono, Mavinga, Morgan, Chapman, Cooper, Hamilton, Spencer

I like the second lineup. 12 men would rock.

backbeat
05-17-2017, 02:03 PM
I like the second lineup. 12 men would rock.

:facepalm: haha - oops - ok, if we must, minus Hernandez....

BenRhodes23
05-17-2017, 02:50 PM
I would love to see Edwards used up top with the strikers

OgtheDim
05-17-2017, 03:08 PM
Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat, NYRB is going to play really narrow. So 3 in the back is good. They can't handle width with speed and are having issues handling big men. To me, that's Edwards and Morrow at WB putting in crosses to Jozy & Ricketts.

I never take an away game for granted and NYRB are likely to be fired up for this one. BUT, we set up well against them.

ScarboroughRed
05-17-2017, 04:02 PM

As of right now, that's a big yes for me!

Edwards and Altidore already seem to link up well. Plus Edwards has great pace and ball handling skills to mimic the Giovinco style.

They can cause trouble with Vasquez feeding them.

boozilla
05-18-2017, 12:36 AM
I get the critics, but just enjoy rooting for someone with his gumption and raw talent.
Cooper is a natural at protecting the ball and switching directions.
Yes, he has audacious, yet often futile dribbling skills. I'd like to believe that even at 29,
he can still reign in his ego and (with some guidance from teammates and Vanney)
wow us all as a team player.

CBTFC
05-18-2017, 01:54 PM
For those into chill ambient music

For my trip back home to georgian bay this weekend, I loaded up my phone with jose padilla cafe del mar mixtapes from '88-'92

Can't wait for the game tomorrow night! When you're team is finding ways to win each night, it gets you amped up for kickoff :)

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Red Bulls win by 2 goals
(Final score: 2-0 or 3-1) ........ 30%

Red Bulls win by 1 goal
(Final score: 1-0 or 2-1) ........ 30%

Draw
(Final score: 1-1 or 2-2) ........ 30%

TFC win by 1 goal
(Final score: 0-1 or 1-2) ........ 10%

-------------------------------------

Extremely difficult game... by far the most difficult since TFC begun it's 6-0 winning streak.
We should be VERY happy with a draw.

Kewell19
05-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Red Bulls win by 2 goals
(Final score: 2-0 or 3-1) ........ 30%

Red Bulls win by 1 goal
(Final score: 1-0 or 2-1) ........ 30%

Draw
(Final score: 1-1 or 2-2) ........ 30%

TFC win by 1 goal
(Final score: 0-1 or 1-2) ........ 10%

-------------------------------------

Extremely difficult game... by far the most difficult since TFC begun it's 6-0 winning streak.
We should be VERY happy with a draw.

Yeah, also hope for no more injuries.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Yeah, also hope for no more injuries.

Even with Seba playing I would give just 35% chance for a draw 15% chance for a TFC win.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Bookmaker Odds:
5 Dimes:

Red Bulls to win: -107
Draw: +125
TFC to win: +335

TFC +0.25: -125
Red Bulls -025: +105

Total Goals UNDER 2.75: -113
Total Goals OVER 2.75: -102

-------------------------

The bookies are seeing the Red Bulls as a very clear favorite to win.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Energy drinks just had their first home loss in the regular season since April of last year. They will be motivated but have issues. Not much width and teams can play in front of their back 4. Will be a tough game no matter what.

This was the worst thing imaginable to happen from the point of view of TFC.
They will be crazy motivated for a clear win tomorrow.

Areathrasher
05-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Hamilton has traveled with the squad.

DinamoTFC
05-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Tfc for the win!

Thomas
05-18-2017, 08:55 PM
It won't be an easy game, that's for sure, but help me understand why the odds are so stacked against the Reds? Just trying to better understand everything, as I am not that familiar with NYRB. Thanks.

Even with Seba playing I would give just 35% chance for a draw 15% chance for a TFC win.

charlieocc
05-18-2017, 11:20 PM
It won't be an easy game, that's for sure, but help me understand why the odds are so stacked against the Reds? Just trying to better understand everything, as I am not that familiar with NYRB. Thanks.
Reds are 2-10-1 all-time at RBA, that probably has something to do with it.

PTSD from the Meadowlands Massacre back in 09.

Derko
05-19-2017, 06:31 AM
Hoping for a win of course, but will be happy with a draw. TFC 2 NRB 1 or 2-2 draw.
Why are 4 of 5 TSN channels carrying the same game, and TFC are on TSN 2 the the one you have to buy the special package for, sheesh

Cheers

TFC07
05-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Hoping for a win of course, but will be happy with a draw. TFC 2 NRB 1 or 2-2 draw.
Why are 4 of 5 TSN channels carrying the same game, and TFC are on TSN 2 the the one you have to buy the special package for, sheesh

Cheers

NBA is more popular than MLS. That's why TFC game is on TSN 2 instead of the main network.

Joe Kool
05-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Seems like a lot of pressure to keep the winning streak going now that we are in making history territory in MLS. Hope the boys just focus and get the job done. NYRB are beatable if we come out with a decent performance and shut BWP down. NYRB will try to get things going right away to get back some belief in the team but they are shaken from their last game so if TFC can start strong we may get a psychological advantage on them while they start doubting themselves. Going by our win in Columbus we can win without the decent performance for most of the game too. Just keep working hard boys to the end! Go TFC!!!

Derko
05-19-2017, 07:57 AM
NBA is more popular than MLS. That's why TFC game is on TSN 2 instead of the main network.

I totally understand that but 4 out 5 channels carrying the same game is brutal, forces folks to lean towards the grey area of streaming on various devices, no

TFC 2 - NRB 1

Joe Kool
05-19-2017, 08:05 AM
I totally understand that but 4 out 5 channels carrying the same game is brutal, forces folks to lean towards the grey area of streaming on various devices, no

I always thought that too when I see scheduling like that. Stupid to have same game on 4 or 5 channels when something else of interest to some is on. Stream away...

Prof
05-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Not sure about that. Both Raptors and TFC had a bout 1.5 million watch their final games last year.

Canary10
05-19-2017, 09:19 AM

You think that's the reason? I think they intentionally juggle where they put games to force you to upgrade to the "specialty" extra channels they have. I have no doubt Sportsnet does this. Sometimes the Raptors playoff games are on those extra channels too. They do absolutely nothing for the benefit of the customer.

Btw, I use an android box and pay for Sportsmania, which is a fantastic sports streaming site that give you virtually every major sports channel around the globe in good quality (usually HD) for about $100 or so a year. Last week they had issues with their EPL streaming. To compensate, they gave all their customers a free week of service. This is a so called illegal site. When would you ever see Bell or Rogers, or any of the channels do that?

Canary10
05-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Anyway, back to the game, am I crazy to be worried if we win? In a salary capped league that prizes parity, it isn't right for a team to go on a run like this. Will we burn out by the time playoffs roll around?

ag futbol
05-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Not sure about that. Both Raptors and TFC had a bout 1.5 million watch their final games last year.
Yeah except the raptors average rating absolutely blew TFC out of the water.

Let's not pretend it's happening just cause we want it to be so.

paul-collins
05-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Yeah except the raptors average rating absolutely blew TFC out of the water.
... which isn't apples to apples either, as Raptors were never quarantined to the upper tier digital channel last year...

ag futbol
05-19-2017, 10:14 AM
... which isn't apples to apples either, as Raptors were never quarantined to the upper tier digital channel last year...
Come on. We've had our runs as well on the better channels with limited success. This is not networks being ham fistsd about keeping soccer on the upper channels. EPL and on occasion other soccer offerings routinely outdraw MLS on Canadian TV. Product quality is simply not there.

Put another way: Championship bowling is not being held down on account of being shown on the ocho.

Canary10
05-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Come on. We've had our runs as well on the better channels with limited success. This is not networks being ham fistsd about keeping soccer on the upper channels. EPL and on occasion other soccer offerings routinely outdraw MLS on Canadian TV. Product quality is simply not there.

Put another way: Championship bowling is not being held down on account of being shown on the ocho.

At least once I went to watch a Raptors playoff game this year and it was on one of those weird channels. Luckily I could stream it. They absolutely mess around with that to make you pay for every channel.

Section_105
05-19-2017, 10:49 AM
At least once I went to watch a Raptors playoff game this year and it was on one of those weird channels. Luckily I could stream it. They absolutely mess around with that to make you pay for every channel.

this is without a doubt true. The times games used to end up on Gol TV one week, SN-360 the next and SportsnetWorld the week after was dubious. Each one in a different package at the time. (no idea where they are now). With TSN, the times games end up on TSN2 putting my in-laws in a position of waiting for our call after a game to give them the good news happens far too often even if there is nothing live on the other channels.

PawTar711
05-19-2017, 01:31 PM
Does anyone know what the starting roster is for tonights match?

fergiejr
05-19-2017, 02:03 PM

Usually comes out a couple of hours before. Look for it on the socials starting around 5:30 or so.

flatpicker
05-19-2017, 03:40 PM
So, will there be a few people at Joe's to watch the game?

Redpunkfiddle
05-19-2017, 04:20 PM
So, will there be a few people at Joe's to watch the game?

Affirmative, patflicker.

GhostKiller
05-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Also if anyone knows of any good streams I would appreciate it. thx

Jpexxx
05-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Spencer playing for TFC II right now btw. Morgan too.

flatpicker
05-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Affirmative, patflicker.

Patflicker... interesting. I might have to change my name!

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Always released one hour before game time.

Jpexxx
05-19-2017, 05:41 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/865696076149424128

Bono
Zava-Moor-Mavinga
Beit-Morrow
Bradley
Delgado-Vasquez
Ricketts- Altidore

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 05:42 PM
And the 3-5-2 returns again, with the expected starters

Jpexxx
05-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Plz tell me someone has one of those nice shiny youtube streams today!

General Woolfe
05-19-2017, 06:21 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/865696076149424128

Bono
Zava-Moor-Mavinga
Beit-Morrow
Bradley
Delgado-Vasquez
Ricketts- Altidore

Bench - Irwin, Hernandez, Cheyrou, Cooper, Hamilton, Edwards

C'mon TFC, make it seven!!! :scarf:

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Crap, MLS Live isn't working for me via Tunnelbear today. It worked fine the last time an away game was on TSN.

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 06:30 PM
Streams - use ad block and a virus checker

http://cricfree.sc/watch/live/new-york-red-bulls-vs-toronto-fc-live-streaming

https://soccerstreams.net/streams/7092/new-york-rb-689_vs_toronto-866

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Word is NYRB going with a diamond.

This will in theory free up Kjlestan but it will also give space for the WB's and for Vazquez. NYRB are going to high press really really hard with 5 people and hope we can't get out of that. IF we can get to 60 minutes within 1 of them, Edwards on the wing is going to take them apart.

BeachTory
05-19-2017, 06:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN8aF0Lgd0Y

this guy is usually good

PizzaEatingYeti
05-19-2017, 06:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN8aF0Lgd0Y

this guy is usually good

Yeah, I just wanted to post this one. Should be the best stream.

Initial B
05-19-2017, 07:03 PM
You know, that starting 11 are probably as good as any starting lineup in the league. I don't feel uneasy about this game.

Detroit_TFC
05-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Not getting much into the box but the fact that RB has committed 350 fouls in the first 15 min shows they are feeling the pressure.

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Mavinga's spacing is off. Getting caught forward.

molenshtain
05-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Alex Muyl really looks like the guy from workaholics.

Detroit_TFC
05-19-2017, 07:33 PM
MB was in the right place but he wasn't marking BWP, he was focused on something else. Gotta do the job where you are at.

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Crap. Lackadaisical marking by Bradley on BRP on the goal, Bradley wasn't even looking where he was. You can't leave BRP that much room. Does anybody know what led to Bradley's foul? Camera was showing Colin in the stands for no good reason instead of showing the play.

Too bad, TFC looking quite good overall, considering the opposition. The game is often very open, real back & forth. I love the way TFC was often playing out of trouble when NY was trying their high press.

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 07:37 PM
Been the more likely team to score. They get one chance on a set piece where Bradley & Beitashour go to sleep and score.

Would be nice to know how that went from a goal kick out to Zaveleta to a guy running at our 18 that Bradley had to foul but the TSN game crew didn't seem to notice that from their offices in Agincourt.

notthesun
05-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Unfortunate to concede from a set piece. Pretty good half besides that. Think we need a little more width in the attacking third to open up some options. Maybe bring in Edwards and move Morrow to LCB?

Controlling the game on the road at Red Bull Arena... it's enough to make you scratch your eyes.

Luanda
05-19-2017, 07:41 PM
why was the game pulled from TSN 5?

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Morrow has been uncharacteristically unreliable on offense today. He had some of the best chances going forward, but nothing came of it.

Gringo Starr
05-19-2017, 07:45 PM
This game is begging for Edwards

Luanda
05-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Mavinga should go with Delgado - Edwards & Chapman should be brought in.

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 07:46 PM
At 60, I'd like to I'd like to see Edwards in and Morrow go back to replace Mavinga.

Gringo Starr
05-19-2017, 07:49 PM
If Moor can't go 90 who takes over as man in the middle of the back 3?

General Woolfe
05-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Very disappointed to be trailling here. Shocking marking at BWP goal, we gave him far too much space. I'm not sure if it was Bradley or Zabaletta's responsibility to be marking the Red Bull's striker there but whoever it was they need to do far better than that. It's a bit worrying the captain is on a yellow as Kljestan has gotten behind him on a few occasions. However we're not out of this yet. we've enjoyed the lions share of possession and look to be controlling the midfield. We just need to be more accurate and decisive with our passing in the final third. I'd perhaps be looking to bring on Edwards at some point as we could use his pace and inventiveness, though I swear I'll blow a casket if Vanney pulls Vazquez in this game, as he seems to be the only Red with the vision to unlock what's been a very tight NYRB defence.

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 07:52 PM
If Moor can't go 90 who takes over as man in the middle of the back 3?

Exactly, we have to remember that this is Moor's first game back, and it's hot & humid in Jersey. I wouldn't pull Mavinga out yet. If Moor can't go 90 minutes, either you change the formation, or you bring Hernandez in off the bench.

No changes needed immediately IMO. Let's see what Vanney told them at half-time and how they respond.

backbeat
05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
not sure what everyone else is seeing but in my mind Mavinga has been pretty solid - we absolutely need Edwards and i wish we had held Ricketts as a sub - none the less it was a good first half from TFC

the only week spot i see is Delgado

69Chevy396
05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
This game is begging for Edwards
Yes. Surprised he didn't start. Delgado has made five or six poor passes. Move Morrow to right side, put edwards in for Delgado

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Too bad, Morrow again weak, three times on offense just now, that's not normal for him.

FUCK BRADLEY & ALTIDORE, TALK TO EACH OTHER!!

daner90
05-19-2017, 08:02 PM
I agree with the sentiment towards having Edwards in for Delgado. Makes such a big difference going forward.

I could see Vanney holding Edwards back to save him as one of the Canadian players for Tuesday at Ottawa.

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 08:11 PM
I don't like the way TFC look at the back since the sub. I think NY is going to score another goal soon.

Detroit_TFC
05-19-2017, 08:16 PM
CHEY-Rooooooooooooo

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Awesome, another beautiful header by Cheyrou, like in the playoffs. What a smart player, just pulls back onside to set himself up for the goal.

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Wow, Mavinga, amazing again.

I can't believe how well TFC pass the ball around most of the time, I love it.

ordrummerboi
05-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Damn it jozy. Him and giovinco struggle with penalties

Detroit_TFC
05-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Goddamn it Vanney, get them to practice some penalties. That was a game winner goal flubbed.

nonc
05-19-2017, 08:30 PM
SMH surely Vasquez can take a penalty

PizzaEatingYeti
We are crap on penalties this season.
50% efficiency.

Anything under 75% is not excusable.

Auzzy
This game is fucking bonkers. Ricketts off the bar; open header by NY straight at Bono.

Next PK has to be taken by Vazquez or Cheyrou, at least until Giovinco is back.

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Fuuuuuuuucking bonkers crap

ordrummerboi
Rickets you beauty

molenshtain
oh dear fucking christ he was half a mile onside.

ordrummerboi
05-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Edwards reminds me of raheem sterling

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 08:37 PM
oh dear fucking christ he was half a mile onside.

Edwards was offside, right over the first shot & making it harder for Robles to make the first save.

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Sucks, but on the balance of play I'm still happy with the draw.

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 08:41 PM
We were the better team, in their arena, with them motivated. On most days, we win that one. This time, we get a point. Take it and move on.

Biggest thing coming out of that game in the long run - Jozy is out the next game.

Gringo Starr
05-19-2017, 08:42 PM
New York lucky to escape with a point at home. I love this squad, going for it every time out

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Fantastic effort, and an incredibly entertaining match. We deserved 3 points.

InSuL1nImP
05-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Ricketts and Edwards are like the Matthews, Marner, Nylander trio. Absolutely brilliant vision, non-stop pace. I cannot say enough about these two.

Couchy81
05-19-2017, 08:46 PM
I'll take the tie. Our undefeated streak is on the line next week.

Detroit_TFC
05-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Fucking hell. Correct call or not, it's irritating. That was a very mediocre RB team, should have been 3 pts in the pocket.

ordrummerboi
05-19-2017, 08:51 PM
We were the better team, in their arena, with them motivated. On most days, we win that one. This time, we get a point. Take it and move on.

Biggest thing coming out of that game in the long run - Jozy is out the next game.

Why jozy out?

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Why jozy out?

Jozy out due to red card accumulation. Bradley one yellow away from the same.

I don't know much about advanced stats, but I would like to see something about the amount of chances created, amount of very dangerous possession close to the opponents goals, # of PKs & dangerous free kicks taken; all that relative to the number of goals scored.

My point: despite TFC being top of the league right now, I feel they've actually been quite wasteful with their chances. Lots of poor finishing; players passing the ball around inside the other penalty area instead of shooting; and other things like that. I've watched lots of highlights of other MLS games throughout the season, and I don't see that many chances created but not converted by other teams.

Creating those chances is actually the hardest part. If we could just finish a bit better; make some better decisions in the box; I think TFC could be even more dominant. Now Jordan Hamilton will get a chance to show us something; maybe also Ben Spencer with both Altidore and Giovinco out.

Sadly I still don't think Ricketts is a good starting forward. He doesn't have enough ball control to really help. And against a team like NYRB who always have lots of big guys in their box, he barely got a chance to head the ball (which he's done well recently). I think he's still a better super-sub, but he's guaranteed to start all the games until both Altidore & Giovinco are back.

notthesun
05-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Feels greedy to complain about getting 1 point instead of 3. We probably should have won though.

The call on Edwards is correct if you think his actions deceived Robles in any way in his save attempt. He was screening him a bit, but you can also argue he made no attempt to play the ball (he did the opposite, actually pulling his foot away) and Robles didn't seem put off by Edwards at all. I don't know. I guess it's the correct call but Edwards really couldn't have done any less there.

Vazquez should take the next penalty if Giovinco isn't on the field.

Too bad we couldn't grab the win but at the end of the day it's all good. We're very clearly the best team in the East.

Still Kicking
05-19-2017, 08:55 PM
This is what TFC are capable of
- at NYRB Arena
- without Giovinco
- after falling behind in the first half
- with Jozy Altidore having his penalty saved
- with Tosaint Ricketts hitting the crossbar
- and having the winner called back on Edwards offside call
This is TFC rising and rising....

I don't have much of a quarrel with the call back on the second goal... I suppose. However I wonder how Edwards should have played it to be not in play (or more not in play than he was). He has to be somewhere at that moment. Would diving away from the ball and the net have helped?

EL DUQUE'----'
05-19-2017, 08:59 PM
So, who made that call..ref or linesman?.. Looked onside to me...����������

charlieocc
05-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Funny that exactly 5 years ago today we were "the worst team in the world." And now we're upset by a draw at RBA. How things have changed!

ordrummerboi
05-19-2017, 09:01 PM
8 games straight i cant complain

ronzilla
05-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Feels greedy to complain about getting 1 point instead of 3. We probably should have won though.

The call on Edwards is correct if you think his actions deceived Robles in any way in his save attempt. He was screening him a bit, but you can also argue he made no attempt to play the ball (he did the opposite, actually pulling his foot away) and Robles didn't seem put off by Edwards at all. I don't know. I guess it's the correct call but Edwards really couldn't have done any less there.

Vazquez should take the next penalty if Giovinco isn't on the field.

Too bad we couldn't grab the win but at the end of the day it's all good. We're very clearly the best team in the East.

I would have even preferred to see Cheyrou take the penalty over jozy.

Auzzy
05-19-2017, 09:07 PM
I thought Jozy generally looked off today. Maybe it's not bad that he's getting a break for one game.

ordrummerboi
05-19-2017, 09:08 PM
I think vasquez should be taking penalties permanently. Both jozy and gio have been iffy

ronzilla
05-19-2017, 09:10 PM
I think vasquez should be taking penalties permanently. Both jozy and gio have been iffy

Jozy has missed 2 penaltys this year, Seba has missed none.

Tunnelred
05-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Jozy has missed 2 penaltys this year, Seba has missed none.

Seba missed one against RSL first game of the season.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-19-2017, 09:13 PM
Yesterday I said we should be very happy with a point from this match, and I am standing by that.
Good game by TFC, in the first half should have tried more in attack.

I do not understand Vanney's decision to not start Edwards.

I don't want to see any of Seba or Alti taking penalties (sadly we will, because Vanney is a stubborn coach).
For penalties any team should use their most experienced yet technical players... we have Vasquez or Cheyrou (if he's on the field), also a third one I think could be easily found better penalty taker than any of Seba or Alti.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-19-2017, 09:16 PM
I thought Jozy generally looked off today. Maybe it's not bad that he's getting a break for one game.
He's had one of his weakest games today so far this season.

PAOK17
05-19-2017, 09:17 PM
I thought Jozy generally looked off today. Maybe it's not bad that he's getting a break for one game.He definitely looked tired and I was thinking the same thing. Let's not forget that last week was supposed to be his game off until Giovinco's injury in the first half.

As for the offside call, it was the right one. He interfered with the play by screening the keeper while in an offside position. It's unfortunate, but I rather them make the correct calls.

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Well next Friday night if we get one, we'll all get to see.

69Chevy396
05-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Yesterday I said we should be very happy with a point from this match, and I am standing by that.
Good game by TFC, in the first half should have tried more in attack.

I don't want to see any of Seba or Alti taking penalties (sadly we will, because Vanney is a stubborn coach).
For penalties any team should use their most experienced yet technical players... we have Vasquez or Cheyrou (if he's on the field), also a third one I think could be easily found better penalty taker than any of Seba or Alti.
Wrong. Both Seba and Jose could go on to score 100 percent of their next dozen penalties. No coach in his right mind would deny them.

69Chevy396
05-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Mavinga should go with Delgado - Edwards & Chapman should be brought in.
Mavinga was the best player tonight

charlieocc
05-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Well next Friday night if we get one, we'll all get to see.
It'll have to be Vazquez haha, no Seba or Jozy

OgtheDim
05-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Mavinga was the best player tonight

He adjusted and had an excellent second half, especially after Moor went off. I think Vasquez was the best player out there on either team, and Cheyrou made the difference as they couldn't cope with his movement off the ball. But Mavinga showed that he could learn today, and that's a good step.

notthesun
05-19-2017, 09:34 PM

Giovinco is 9 for 11 on his penalties since joining TFC, or 81% success rate, and one of his misses was a post. Penalties in general are scored about 75% of the time. Silly to suggest Giovinco should be taken off penalty duty.

Jozy meanwhile is 5 for 8, good for 62%. So it's worth trying Vazquez out to see if he's better.

General Woolfe
05-19-2017, 09:35 PM
We was robbed!!! :(

What a tremendous second half performance from the Reds. You can't help but feel disappointed we didn't leave RB Arena tonight with all three points. After a pretty even first half surely only the most die hard RB fan could deny Toronto were not worthy of the win after the way they took the game to NYRB in the second 45. No doubt in the cold light of day I'll come to see this as a decent point on the road, at a venue that's been less than kind to us in the past. You could say, with some justification, that the first three quarters of the game the sides were evenly match. Whilst Toronto controlled the midfield, the NYRB were solid in defence and looked threatening on the break. It was a vastly improved performance from Marsch's side after the rocket he gave them last Sunday. However, a missed PK, a strike off the bar, and a narrow callback on an 89th min 'goal', means you can't help but feel extremely disappointed that we didn't continue our winning streak.

Still I saw enough tonight to make me proud to support this team. The way they dug deep to level the score after trailling for half and hour in a difficult venue. The way they dug deep once again to push for victory after missing a penalty kick. This is a different TFC. This is a more courageous side that the TFCs of the past who would surely have crumbled after the RB goal. This is a TFC that doesn't give up and who believe for 90 minutes that they can win the game.

It was a solid team performance tonight, however for me, Chris Mavinga stood out. I thought he was outstanding tonight and mopped up every NYRB attack with ease. He has really bounced back from a very shaky debut to show that he can become a very valuable member of our squad. Another couple of observations I took away from tonight are that we look at our best when Bradley, Vazquez, and Cheyrou are all on the park at the same time. I'm not sure if Cheyrou's legs are up to the task, but we should try to get all three playing as often as possible. Especially in big games. Secondly we look more dangerous when Edwards is on the park. Although it was perhaps not his most spectacular performance he caused the NYRB defence all sorts of problems the 20 minutes he was In the game. So much so Murillo resorted to kicking him out of sheer frustration.

Jozy picking up a card rules him out of the Columbus game next week which poses a serious problem with Giovinco also out. However unlike in the past I have confidence this TFC will find a way to deal with it. The winning streak is over, time to start another one next week, and keep our unbeaten one continuing...

All for one!!! :scarf:

General Woolfe
05-19-2017, 09:40 PM
So, who made that call..ref or linesman?.. Looked onside to me...����������
The referee made the call. The linesman's flag stayed down.

General Woolfe
05-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Sadly I still don't think Ricketts is a good starting forward. He doesn't have enough ball control to really help. And against a team like NYRB who always have lots of big guys in their box, he barely got a chance to head the ball (which he's done well recently). I think he's still a better super-sub, but he's guaranteed to start all the games until both Altidore & Giovinco are back.
Tonight summed up Ricketts to a T. Until the 84th minute had a really poor outing if we're honest He control was bad as was his shooting. Then out of nowhere he hits the bar and five minutes later has a goal chopped off through no fault of his own. I just think he is that type of play who will frustrate the life out of you, but is capable of scoring at vital times. He is a bit of a passenger as a starter but worth his weight in gold coming off the bench. I would worry however if we had to rely on him over a long period of time. If we do any transfer business this summer it should be for a striker who would provide us a better option should Séba or Jozy be out.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2017, 09:59 PM

Think next Friday or even next Tuesday it may happen

TFC1154ever
05-19-2017, 10:01 PM
If anyone doesn't think Vazquez wasn't are best player tonight, I don't think we were watching the same game. He put threw 7-8 absolute world class ball for chances today. Rarely gave up possession, and was buzzing the from the 30th minute on. Guy was the pickup of the off season if he plays like that. He can make passes no one on the pitch can.

DinamoTFC
05-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Mavinga and Vasquez men of the match for me. Huge games on either side of the field.

Jozy can't hate on him too much because he comes up big other times. But getting that yellow after missing the penalty was really stupid. Costing us 2 games now this one and next by not being eligible to play.

ordrummerboi
05-19-2017, 10:57 PM
On another note that game was entertaining for the neutrals. Best 1-1 draw I've seen in mls for awhile

reggie
05-19-2017, 11:04 PM
the redbulls are a bunch of whining bitchesI.... asked Jesse Marsch what he thought of TFC's impressive depth, Marsch said (w/a smile) "I want to see their salary cap.

ps...how is that kickout on edwards not a red card.

EL DUQUE'----'
05-20-2017, 01:14 AM
The serenade will continue with cheyrou.... Not a legend. But scores the most important goals

Joe Kool
05-20-2017, 01:22 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else think Mavinga reminds them of Doneil Henry? Every challenge he goes to make I am not sure if he will get the ball, get a yellow or a red. Makes me even more nervous in the box.

Overall ok performance. I think we could definitely beat any team under the right circumstances. Watching interviews it looks like TFC very disappointed with the tie and NYRB in high spirits as if they won. That tells you a lot about the confidence and mentality of both teams.

dupont
05-20-2017, 08:50 AM
So unlucky to not win that match. That's sports though.

Amazing to see TFC play like that on the road against a tough team and be disappointed to not have three points. I couldn't have pictured this quality back in the hopeless years lol

mistercorporate
05-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Are the players tired after working on new team skills or tiki taka type stuff? I was surprised how gassed and slow some of them looked (especially Jozy) after getting almost a week since the last game. Since the last game they did seem positionally more aware of each other (yet slow).

Detroit_TFC
05-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Are the players tired after working on new team skills or tiki taka type stuff? I was surprised how gassed and slow some of them looked (especially Jozy) after getting almost a week since the last game. Since the last game they did seem positionally more aware of each other (yet slow).

Seemed to me there were fewer runs and more passing than a typical TFC game. Just an impression. Now if that was tactical or done to economize on the players' energy, I don't know.

mistercorporate
05-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Seemed to me there were fewer runs and more passing than a typical TFC game. Just an impression. Now if that was tactical or done to economize on the players' energy, I don't know.

Yes, you articulated it better than me. I'll give Vanney the benefit of the doubt, they've probably been working on building team passing skills while they've got some sort of lead on the rest of the league.

Initial B
05-20-2017, 10:28 AM
You remember that TFC plays again in 3 days, right? Edwards is probably guaranteed to start on Tuesday and didn't want to wear him out for that. Osorio, Morrow, Hamilton are also probably going to start Tuesday. Ricketts will sub in for Jozy after about 60 minutes against Ottawa. Cheyrou starts in place of Bradley, Chapman in place of Vasquez.

Auzzy
05-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Other than Altidore, I didn't think they looked tired & slow at all. I mean, it was almost 90 minutes of end-to-end action in conditions that were apparently hot & especially humid, but it still looked pretty pretty quick to me.

I'll say it again, the short & quick passing they were often doing, especially against NY's attempt at a high press, was a thing of beauty. What a change compared with TFC of a few years ago.

Eastend
05-20-2017, 01:55 PM
You remember that TFC plays again in 3 days, right? Edwards is probably guaranteed to start on Tuesday and didn't want to wear him out for that. Osorio, Morrow, Hamilton are also probably going to start Tuesday. Ricketts will sub in for Jozy after about 60 minutes against Ottawa. Cheyrou starts in place of Bradley, Chapman in place of Vasquez.

To me, last night's result was more important then the one on Tuesday. the "winner" of this round for the Canadian Championship plays MTL or VAN who then play...TFC.

anto7
05-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Not sure why I still doubted the team before last night's game, considering the unbeaten run, but I had a feeling we were going to get brought down to earth with a bang at that stadium and get well and truly smoked. Perhaps it's the lingering PTS from previous seasons. But after seeing the way we went after their throats in that last 15mins inside a stadium that has been pretty much a fortress since it opened, I came away feeling like we really are the real deal now, a true top team in the league. To be able to make wholesale changes in almost all of the last few games and still keep the continuity in our playing style really highlights the strength and depth of our squad. Imagine what we will be like come the home stretch when we play a consistent line up. Very excited for our season and long term future.

C.Ronaldo
05-21-2017, 01:19 PM
What was the tussle b/w Robles and Vasquez. I saw Vasquez taunt him with the goal then Robles shives him near the shoulders.

Did something transpire b4 to lead up to that?

And what time is the bad foul on Edwards.

I think ny energy drinks are our new rivals for 2017

mistercorporate
05-21-2017, 01:43 PM
What was the tussle b/w Robles and Vasquez. I saw Vasquez taunt him with the goal then Robles shives him near the shoulders.

Did something transpire b4 to lead up to that?

And what time is the bad foul on Edwards.

I think ny energy drinks are our new rivals for 2017

I think the "new" Columbus Crew and FC Dallas are our rivals for 2017 :)

PizzaEatingYeti
05-21-2017, 01:47 PM
To me, last night's result was more important then the one on Tuesday. the "winner" of this round for the Canadian Championship plays MTL or VAN who then play...TFC.
Same here!
We should have started the best possible 11 on Saturday...

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2017, 02:58 PM

Same here!
We should have started the best possible 11 on Saturday...

We got the "important" result even if we deserved more. Tuesday is a big game for the tournament and I'm far more interested in that than 2 pts at the top of the table right now. We have the depth. We're using it.

backbeat
05-21-2017, 05:24 PM
We got the "important" result even if we deserved more. Tuesday is a big game for the tournament and I'm far more interested in that than 2 pts at the top of the table right now. We have the depth. We're using it.

i wish i could make the trip to Ottawa for this game - i'm hyped for it and would love to see a solid clean sheet win Tuesday - my dream is for TFC to be the first MLS team to win the concacaf champions league - that would be huge imo

PizzaEatingYeti
05-22-2017, 07:29 PM
i wish i could make the trip to Ottawa for this game - i'm hyped for it and would love to see a solid clean sheet win Tuesday - my dream is for TFC to be the first MLS team to win the concacaf champions league - that would be huge imo

I will be happy to get to the semifinals for the season, and go down in a very honorable fashion, barely losing to a Mexican team!

C.Ronaldo
05-23-2017, 09:08 AM
I think the "new" Columbus Crew and FC Dallas are our rivals for 2017 :)

nothing led up to Vasquez taunting robles in his face after the goal?

GerMc
05-23-2017, 09:56 AM
nothing led up to Vasquez taunting robles in his face after the goal?

I heard it was because of taunting by Robles after Altidore's PK miss...might have been here on the boards I saw that...