PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 11 - TFC @ Columbus Wednesday May 10 7:30pm - Need Some Getback

Pages : [1] 2

OgtheDim
05-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Here we are....25 days later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvBBjb3iU4

Have at It People

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2017, 12:20 PM
I will be at joes.

https://www.naturewatch.ca/plantwatch/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/09/trillium_grandiflorum_1238635576.jpg

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

UpTheReds
05-07-2017, 09:47 PM
I think we are in a better spot going to Columbus this time. I will be happy with the point, you have to expect we will drop points at some point. Here's hoping we keep winning though.

DinamoTFC
05-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Have we ever won 6 games in a row or is 5 the most we achieved?
I want a win Vs Columbus and vs Minnesota and then they can drop points. For once I want a big winning streak and pull away from the pack in the standings. Nothing less.

Joe Kool
05-08-2017, 12:01 AM
Feeling pretty good. First half against Columbus was going pretty great last time until TFC fell asleep defensively for what...7 min or something like that when they scored twice? I can't see that happening again. TFC will handle their business this time. Don't want to see us too overconfident about the Loons either.

James17930
05-08-2017, 02:10 AM
Any thoughts on the lineup? Seems like everyone who was left at home for Seattle would play (unless there are some injuries we don't know about).

I could see Morrow getting rested ... maybe with Edwards and Morgan splitting the duties down the left? (Morgan is fit again, right?)

And does Chapman start in mid next to Vasquez? He may have earned it.

molenshtain
05-08-2017, 02:21 AM
I think Altidore, Hagglund, Morrow are up for rotation. Maybe throw in Edwards and Delgado as well.

I think they'll be looking to make sure we have our full starting 11 back for the home game against Minnesota. Could even see them resting Bradley.

anto7
05-08-2017, 04:06 AM
I think Altidore, Hagglund, Morrow are up for rotation. Maybe throw in Edwards and Delgado as well.

I think they'll be looking to make sure we have our full starting 11 back for the home game against Minnesota. Could even see them resting Bradley.
I saw an interview with Bradley before the Seattle game and he was asked how comes he never gets rested for games. His answer was pretty obvious, he loves playing and wants to play every minute. Steven Caldwell also mentioned during the Seattle game that Bradley is probably the fittest player he has ever played with. All that said I don't think he will be rested this week.

molenshtain
05-08-2017, 04:28 AM
No trust me I totally get that. Bradley is a freak of an athlete. If it were up to him I'm sure he'd demand to play. But The idea though that he has to play 7 games in a month, even excluding the two Cup games, before he goes off to the gold cup worries me. Lets not forgot that we played him a ton before the world cup in 2014 where he got hurt and played out the rest of the season on basically what was a broken leg which he had to get surgery on in the offseason.

Just because he can and he wants to doesn't necessarily mean we should let him play every minute. Vanney and the rest of the coaching staff need to have enough balls to tell him that he's gonna have to rest every once in a while. We're deep enough so that it shouldn't be such a massive loss too.

OgtheDim
05-08-2017, 06:01 AM
I think we start the best 11, which is the squad that started against Chicago, Houston & Orlando.

Rest will be for the Loons (which is a trap game if I've ever seen one - not only the end of a long stretch of games but its in the afternoon so will have a totally different feel).

MightyDM
05-08-2017, 07:22 AM
Jozy is an obvious one to rest with a long history of hamstring issues and two cross country flights in as many days. I think we can expect that Morrow will be rotated out as well, and then Vanney has some tough choice in midfield as the play of Chapman, Cheyrou, and Osorio justified more minutes for each of them. He may surprise us in the midfield given the need to match up against Columbus there. Something like Giovinco - Hamilton - Vasquez - Cheyrou (Delgado/ Osorio) - -Bradley - Edwards -Mavinga - hagglund - Zavaleta - Beitashour

anto7
05-08-2017, 12:03 PM
No trust me I totally get that. Bradley is a freak of an athlete. If it were up to him I'm sure he'd demand to play. But The idea though that he has to play 7 games in a month, even excluding the two Cup games, before he goes off to the gold cup worries me. Lets not forgot that we played him a ton before the world cup in 2014 where he got hurt and played out the rest of the season on basically what was a broken leg which he had to get surgery on in the offseason.

Just because he can and he wants to doesn't necessarily mean we should let him play every minute. Vanney and the rest of the coaching staff need to have enough balls to tell him that he's gonna have to rest every once in a while. We're deep enough so that it shouldn't be such a massive loss too.
Oh I totally agree with you on that, I just wonder who exactly is the boss when it comes to making that call. I would hope it would be Vanney.

Section_105
05-08-2017, 12:17 PM
I think we start the best 11, which is the squad that started against Chicago, Houston & Orlando.

Rest will be for the Loons (which is a trap game if I've ever seen one - not only the end of a long stretch of games but its in the afternoon so will have a totally different feel).

I think Chapman may have made a case for himself ahead of Delgado.

and ...oh yes. With what they just did to Kansas....you are spot on here.

DinamoTFC
05-08-2017, 02:25 PM
I think Chapman may have made a case for himself ahead of Delgado.

and ...oh yes. With what they just did to Kansas....you are spot on here.
Chapman is a replacement for Vazquez. Delgado is more equivalent to Cooper/Osorio. And since we are flowing better and winning with Delgado, we keep him until he needs a break.

Skinn
05-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Vancouver-based TFC fans: is there anyplace in Vancouver you gather to watch games? I'm in Vancouver this week looking for housing (relocating from Washington later this summer), and would enjoy meeting up to watch Columbus lose.

Brodzo
05-08-2017, 09:42 PM
I agree! That would be the best case scenario. We always seem to struggle with Columbus but having rested some keys players for the Seattle game, we should come out on top. Minnesota being the newcomers, one would think TFC can take all three points!

Not too sure about the win streak? Can anyone else confirm?

SarniaTFC
05-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Would like to see Vanney push some guys who are struggling for fitness as 3 points would be big. Don't want to lose both our games this season at that dump.
Irwin
Zavaleta Hagglund Hernandez
Morrow Bradley Delgado Beitashour
Vasquez Chapman
Giovinco

James17930
05-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Jozy is an obvious one to rest with a long history of hamstring issues and two cross country flights in as many days. I think we can expect that Morrow will be rotated out as well, and then Vanney has some tough choice in midfield as the play of Chapman, Cheyrou, and Osorio justified more minutes for each of them. He may surprise us in the midfield given the need to match up against Columbus there. Something like Giovinco - Hamilton - Vasquez - Cheyrou (Delgado/ Osorio) - -Bradley - Edwards -Mavinga - hagglund - Zavaleta - Beitashour

I'm actually surprised Jozy played that much in Seattle on the turf. I could totally see Ricketts starting this game, or maybe even Hamilton.

Cas87
05-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Would like to see Vanney push some guys who are struggling for fitness as 3 points would be big. Don't want to lose both our games this season at that dump.
Irwin
Zavaleta Hagglund Hernandez
Morrow Bradley Delgado Beitashour
Vasquez Chapman
Giovinco

I could see it slightly changed:

Irwin
Zavaleta Hernandez Haggs
Morrow Bradley Cheyrou Beitashour
Vazquez Delgado
Seba

Subs
Ricketts for Seba
Chapman for Vazquez
Oso for Cheyrou

PopePouri
05-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Not sure how well they're doing in training but I assume Hamilton or Ricketts will get a start along side Seba. Maybe Spencer as a target forward.

SarniaTFC
05-09-2017, 10:06 AM
I could see it slightly changed:

Irwin
Zavaleta Hernandez Haggs
Morrow Bradley Cheyrou Beitashour
Vazquez Delgado
Seba

Subs
Ricketts for Seba
Chapman for Vazquez
Oso for Cheyrou

I just don't see Cheyrou being able to put about 60 minutes in. Can see Chapman starting after his spectacular performance in Seattle.

MightyDM
05-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Not sure how well they're doing in training but I assume Hamilton or Ricketts will get a start along side Seba. Maybe Spencer as a target forward.

I was thinking the same and thinking Hamilton, because he is more of a target man than Ricketts. Depends on the tactics, really. Columbus is strong in midfield and exploited our defensive weaknesses last time. Does Ricketts pace or Hamilton's hold up play answer that best? Both could work, Ricketts on the counter.

Also might see Edwards not start for this one. Maybe Morrow starts at wingback and Edwards comes back in for Saturday and Morrow rests then. Morrow-Mavinga-Zavaleta-Hagglund-Beitashour

They will likely also want a two in front of the back three: like a 3-4-1-2. They might put Cooper or Oso in there for match up reasons (Higuan)

molenshtain
05-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Hamilton and Chapman played really well in their 2 games against Columbus last year. Completely had their number. Hope they get the start tomorrow night - they deserve it.

trane
05-09-2017, 11:21 AM
I love the tactics of our team has utilized since we have played with 3 at the back, but in particular I love the 3-4-2-1, because it is great defensive/counter attacking system, provided you have the WB and DMs that you need, and we have them. But I like that Vanney is adjusting the basic system depending on the personal that we have, and/or opponent that we are facing. It should be understood that these are not whole sale changes which may cause confusion due to the lack of familiarity, but variations on the same theme.

Now, while I like the 3-4-2-1 the best, it will work best if Bradley has a responsible partner at DM like Cheyrou, which Allow either, but particularity Bradley to push up when prudent, while the team still holds a good defensive shape with the other DM staying back. Further, I would mostly like to see this formation tweeked when Giovinco plays to a 3-4-1-2, with Giovinco and Jozy up top and backed by one CM, Vasquez being the best candidate. The only concern that I could have is playing the 3-4-2-1 is with Giovinco up top by himslef, I do think that in general it work better with a bigger stronger CF to hold up the ball, and that Giovinco would be murdered up there, in light of the amount of protection he gets from the refs.

MightyDM
05-09-2017, 06:41 PM
The three keys to the game are said to be defensive organization, stopping Higuan, and prowess in the air. Hagglund clearly plays and maybe a more defensive midfield selection and formation. We might see Oso and Cooper for defensive positioning; Cheyrou for savvy and I think certainly Morrow preferred to Edwards.

And trane's post is terrific. Generally, Vanney prefers 3-4-1-2

James17930
05-09-2017, 07:15 PM
It feels so great to look forward with this much anticipation to every game again.

One more day!

UpTheReds
05-09-2017, 08:01 PM
I think at some point during this fixture congestion he's got to give Bradley a rest. This might be the game for me.

ChrisFizik
05-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Looking forward to more away viewing action at Joe's tomnorrow. Break the week up with us, large font aficionados and trillium hunters.

OgtheDim
05-09-2017, 09:09 PM
I think at some point during this fixture congestion he's got to give Bradley a rest. This might be the game for me.

He's on 3 yellows. He'll get his day off soon enough. :)

Yohan
05-09-2017, 10:05 PM
The three keys to the game are said to be defensive organization, stopping Higuan, and prowess in the air. Hagglund clearly plays and maybe a more defensive midfield selection and formation. We might see Oso and Cooper for defensive positioning; Cheyrou for savvy and I think certainly Morrow preferred to Edwards.

And trane's post is terrific. Generally, Vanney prefers 3-4-1-2

as good as higuain has been this season, I think the key to stopping Columbus is stopping will trapp who is the key cog and has more touches for Columbus than anyone else. Stop trapp and cut the supply to higuain. Columbus forced to go to flanks for crosses for ola kamara who is a good striker but avg in the air.

Joe Kool
05-10-2017, 06:45 AM
He's on 3 yellows. He'll get his day off soon enough. :)

Haha...true dat!

Graeme
05-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Wild stab in the dark:

-----------------------------Bono--------------------------
---------------Zavaleta--Hernandez--Mavinga-----------
--Beitashour-------------Bradley---------------Morgan--
--------------Vasquez------------Osorio----------------
---------Giovinco---------------Hamilton----------------

Subs: Cheyrou, Chapman, Edwards?, Endoh?, Ricketts?

James17930
05-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Wild stab in the dark:

That looks very possible. Could see Chapman starting over Oso, and maybe Ricketts over Hamilton (though he's not done anything all year, he does have 'seniority').

But even if they don't start, it seems very likely Chapman and Edwards will come in at some point barring injury-forced subs.

And as others have mentioned, I also think this would be a good game to rest Bradley.

German21
05-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Looking forward to more away viewing action at Joe's tomnorrow. Break the week up with us, large font aficionados and trillium hunters.

I like the cut of your jib

Fort York Redcoat
05-10-2017, 11:40 AM

I like the cut of your jib

Could this work day get any longer.

See you soon, lads!

May the bloodiest flower rivalry in the league be renewed!

Initial B
05-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Just for a reminder of how far things have come, here is the starting lineup from playing in Columbus on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012:

#TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) XI: F. Hall; Eckersley, Williams, O'Dea, Morgan; Wiedeman, Dunfield, Frings, Johnson; Silva, Hassli.. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TFCLive&src=hash)

#TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) substitutes: Kocic; Cann, Emory, J. Hall, Maund, Avila, Amarikwa .. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TFCLive&src=hash)
I seem to recall TFC lost 2-1. Here's hoping for a better result.

Fort York Redcoat
05-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Just for a reminder of how far things have come, here is the starting lineup from playing in Columbus on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012:

I seem to recall TFC lost 2-1. Here's hoping for a better result.

Why that game? Curious.

Cambassador
05-10-2017, 02:08 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/Flag_of_Ontario_%28Green_Ensign%29.svg/600px-Flag_of_Ontario_%28Green_Ensign%29.svg.png

maninb
05-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Wild stab in the dark:

Why put in Mavinga who has played TERRIBLY and Vanney has NO FAITH in?

Graeme
05-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Why put in Mavinga who has played TERRIBLY and Vanney has NO FAITH in?
Because I watched the Seattle game?

Mostly because I thought Hagglund needs a night off. Maybe not in his home town, though.

notthesun
05-10-2017, 05:31 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/10/toronto-fcs-sebastian-giovinco-out-for-wednesday-nights-clash-with-columbus-crew-due-to-injury

Giovinco didn't travel, he has a heel bruise and they're playing it safe. He's likely for Minnesota at home on the weekend.

Zavaleta, Vazquez and Beitashour all available.

OgtheDim
05-10-2017, 05:47 PM
More changing around.

A 3-4-2-1

https://twitter.com/WheelerTSN/status/862435703527002112

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 05:52 PM
as good as higuain has been this season, I think the key to stopping Columbus is stopping will trapp who is the key cog and has more touches for Columbus than anyone else. Stop trapp and cut the supply to higuain. Columbus forced to go to flanks for crosses for ola kamara who is a good striker but avg in the air.
You have a good point. I was just quoting the "Keys to the Game"

PawTar711
05-10-2017, 05:53 PM
We have to take this game.

OgtheDim
05-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Hoping for a win, would take a tie....but its an away game in conference against a tough opponent so a loss would not surprise.

notthesun
05-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Berhalter seems to be trying to match us, moving from his usual 4-2-3-1 to a 3-5-2: https://twitter.com/ColumbusCrewSC/status/862434674383216641

That right flank though... Finlay and Williams. We should attack down the left as much as possible, have Morrow be aggressive and Vazquez drift wide. Too bad Giovinco is out because he'd probably have a field day down the left.

Kaz
05-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Berhalter seems to be trying to match us, moving from his usual 4-2-3-1 to a 3-5-2: https://twitter.com/ColumbusCrewSC/status/862434674383216641

That right flank though... Finlay and Williams. We should attack down the left as much as possible, have Morrow be aggressive and Vazquez drift wide. Too bad Giovinco is out because he'd probably have a field day down the left.

is Gio injured? Angry? family issues?

He's not even on the bench.

notthesun
05-10-2017, 06:25 PM
is Gio injured? Angry? family issues?

He's not even on the bench.

Injured, heel bruise. I posted Larson's story above.

Kaz
05-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Injured, heel bruise. I posted Larson's story above.

Saw that.. missed it at the beginning must have scrolled to fast or my eyes are getting old.

James17930
05-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Here's a usually okay stream:

http://cdn.livetvcdn.net/webplayer.php?t=ifr&c=689363&lang=en&eid=516664&lid=689363&ci=64&si=1

But if anyone has a YouTube stream, that would probably be better.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Great stream here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rMDSi1-t_Q (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rMDSi1-t_Q)

James17930
05-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Great stream here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rMDSi1-t_Q (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rMDSi1-t_Q)

Yes, much better, thank you.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Yes, much better, thank you.

Youtube is always the best,

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 06:50 PM
More changing around.

A 3-4-2-1

https://twitter.com/WheelerTSN/status/862435703527002112

TV has it as 5-1-3-1

TFC_4_Life
05-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Great stream here:

Thanks so much for posting this good link. Very appreciated. Living in Colombia I depend on these links as my only option to follow my beloved TFC. Still don't understand why MLS Live is not available internationally.

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Awful defending on the Columbus free kick, TFC very lucky.

James17930
05-10-2017, 07:01 PM
It's all pretty flat so far.

trane
05-10-2017, 07:06 PM
We lost our shape there for a few second, exposing the left wing.

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Altidore was stretching out his hamstring earlier. That's a concern.

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 07:08 PM
The Columbus local broadcast commentary on MLS Live is brutal, worst I've heard in years.

Update: I put it on mute. Couldn't take it anymore.

trane
05-10-2017, 07:08 PM
this is the team that I really, really, hate.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 07:10 PM
So far very bleak game.

SoccMan2
05-10-2017, 07:11 PM
What an embarrassment this Columbus franchise is, move this sorry team down the road to Cincinatti where there would be over 20000 in the stands, instead of friends and family of players there tonight.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 07:11 PM
this is the team that I really, really, hate.

Me too.
Horrible stadium to play in, with shite atmosphere, plus we always seem to have trouble with the piss-stains, for some unknown reason.

smtavare
05-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Osario invisible so far, need better link up to altidore

notthesun
05-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Hagglund's earning himself a reputation for his aerial prowess. Francis' only job on that corner kick was to set a pick against Hagglund so he couldn't get to the cross.

James17930
05-10-2017, 07:14 PM
The Columbus local broadcast commentary on MLS Live is brutal, worst I've heard in years.

Update: I put it on mute. Couldn't take it anymore.

You could put the TSN stream on on your computer and just listen to it.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 07:15 PM
We don't have any spark in our forward play so far.

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 07:17 PM
What an embarrassment this Columbus franchise is, move this sorry team down the road to Cincinatti where there would be over 20000 in the stands, instead of friends and family of players there tonight.

I don't see a long term future there, especially once expansion ends (well, stops for a bit). Precourt will cash out and new owners, likely in one of the unsuccessful bid cities, will move the team.

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 07:18 PM
As much as Kamara played for that if you're zavaletta you should know better.

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Zavaleta, you knucklehead.

James17930
Stupid stupid stupid.

Why would you even think to put your arm around a player like that?

MightyDM
If they are going to give that, Giovinco better be getting a bunch of penalties this year.

Auzzy
Fack. Second to every ball. That was coming. Wake the fuck up guys!

notthesun
Damn. They lost Higuain there. I thought Zavaleta was pretty slow to turn too, thought he could've poked it away if he had just turned faster.

PAOK17
As much as Kamara played for that if your zavaletta you should know better.He was horribly positioned to start that play and then just made it worse by taking him down.

James17930
05-10-2017, 07:20 PM
I don't see a long term future there, especially once expansion ends (well, stops for a bit). Precourt will cash out and new owners, likely in one of the unsuccessful bid cities, will move the team.

There's talk of a new downtown stadium to try to breathe some life into the franchise.

Detroit_TFC
You could put the TSN stream on on your computer and just listen to it.

I think I will! Thanks!

UpTheReds
Soft penalty but as soon as you put your hand on the shoulder he was always going down.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 07:21 PM
WE should go on to attack full squad, I don't care if we get beaten 1-0 or 5-0, but we need to go all in!

smtavare
05-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Tfc playing like crap i feel a loss coming today, i hope im wrong as i hate the piss stains

nonc
05-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Guys don't be delusional that is an obvious penalty, Zavaleta is dumb.

Remember when people were saying Vasquez is no better than Osorio? Lol.

James17930
05-10-2017, 07:23 PM
WE should go on to attack full squad, I don't care if we get beaten 1-0 or 5-0, but we need to go all in!

Yeah, I'm thinking we need more speed to try to get around Columbus's pressing.

Edwards, Ricketts, maybe Delgado.

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Mavinga is like the Doniel Henry of the left side of defence. So sense of when NOT to challenge for the ball and play positionally.

69Chevy396
05-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Youtube is always the best,
How did you find the right youtube linc?

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Giovinco is missing big time... the attack is nowhere...

tfcfans
05-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Let's hit this.....

James17930
Nice!

PizzaEatingYeti
How did you find the right youtube linc?

I'we done a search, but directly inside Youtube.

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 07:29 PM
JOZY!

update: nope. FFS. It's going to be one of those games.

tfcfans
Unbelievable....

notthesun
Well, it might be one of those days.

James17930
05-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Sigh ...

It's one of those nights.

PizzaEatingYeti
F.......K this shit!

James17930
Isn't it better to always go straight down the middle? I mean, the keeper always dives one way ...

PizzaEatingYeti
Always with these piss stains...

nonc
05-10-2017, 07:31 PM
I saw this coming as soon as I captained Altidore on my fantasy

notthesun
This looks like a tactical change?

Mavinga's been our best defender today, rough for him to be sacrificed here.

James17930
Like that Vanney is willing to change things up quickly.

nonc
05-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Crew stadium very underwhelming

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Ricketts though? I don't know what he's supposed to bring now.

SoccMan2
05-10-2017, 07:33 PM
This game is done it seems ,Columbus has our number let's hope we don't have to play them in the playoffs because if TFC comes up against Columbus I don't like our chances.

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Good for Vanney for changing it up.

James17930
05-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Ricketts though? I don't know what he's supposed to bring now.

Speed. I think they really need to stretch Columbus out ... they're playing very compact and tight now.

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Why do we always look so mediocre playing Columbus? Arrrg

nonc
05-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Isn't it better to always go straight down the middle? I mean, the keeper always dives one way ...

I personally believe the keeper is better off to stay on their feet, you are giving up the bottom corners but you can cover more surface area staying up. Everyone guesses though *shrug*.

SoccMan2
05-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Justin Williams who played like a piece shit against Montreal in the playoffs in the 2015 wild card game in Montreal looks like fucken Bonucci of Juventus tonight !

gracos
05-10-2017, 07:40 PM
It goes to show that TFC didn't prepare properly for Columbus, and that's just not good enough I hope we can be a powerhouse and challenge every team, doesn't feel like any chances were created and we played in the defensive end for too long to have this demonstration of power, we need to be able to intimidate all teams and provide competition to all

OgtheDim
05-10-2017, 07:43 PM
That whole Vasquez, Osorio & Chapman playing at the same time thing? Lets not let that happen again. They've been bypassing those 3 with passes in front of our back line all game.

The diamond might help a bit but Chapman as shuttler has already seen a free kick when reacting to a line breaking pass.

PizzaEatingYeti
:(

I dunno man, if every team has one boogie man, that must be the Columbus Piss Stains for TFC.
Has anyone a logical explanation for this?

I feel even if TFC would be the Real Madrid of this world, and would have 3 games per season with Shitlumbus, the best we could hope would be 2 draws and 1 lost game...

Auzzy
Speed. I think they really need to stretch Columbus out ... they're playing very compact and tight now.

Yes maybe, but Columbus defense isn't playing high, especially up a goal, and Ricketts hasn't shown any good ball control. I feel TFC need better ball control and quicker passing in the midfield (more like the previous games) to have any chance here.

How is it that the team mentality changes so much between games? Example: today so often there are no players moving off the ball. Other games looked much better in that regard. It makes the Columbus press much more effective. The play may end up looking like a bad pass, or a useless pass back to our defense, but it's mostly because nobody was offering a good target.

And nobody (Vanney, Bradley, nobody) seems to be able to change that mentality in-game. Will it change after the half?

gracos
05-10-2017, 07:45 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that TFC is looking at signing someone during the transfer window

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Midfield was very weak this half, there's the problem.

OgtheDim
05-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Kristian Jack pointing out that TFC's WB's were staying deep and thus causing the midfield to not have outlets.

DinamoTFC
05-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Zavaleta should have been taken off he's sleep walking out there. But I guess he has seniority over mavinga

gracos
05-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Zavaleta is the one responsible for the loss, so he should be punished for his mistake, but its because family overpowers the club

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 07:57 PM
One of Chapman or osorio needs to be subbed for Cheyrou or Delgado. Mid has no shape.

Heck, Vasquez looks lost too...

red-o
05-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Seemed to me Mavinga coming off was in response to his foul outside the box - he is on a short leash and was off script. But who knows...

DinamoTFC
05-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Good substitution to get cheyrou on. Osorio has been invisible

OgtheDim
05-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Cheyrou should have been in from the beginning with one of Osorio & Chapman on the bench.

DinamoTFC
05-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Morrow having a terrible game too. Bring Edwards on

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 08:04 PM
I think we missed an opportunity here to give Morgan a game. Edwards was looking gassed last game and Morrow not much better.

Edit: good grief Ricketts is just a donkey sometimes with his lack of first touch.

DinamoTFC
05-10-2017, 08:05 PM
I thought tfc would be most prepared for this game since it's eastern conference team. Dunno if they're exhausted or not but they rested plenty of players in lead up

notthesun
05-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Really starting to think we caught lightning in a bottle with Ricketts last year. So far this season this is the Ricketts I was expecting last year and that I didn't want us to sign... the not-very-good one.

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 08:07 PM
That whole Vasquez, Osorio & Chapman playing at the same time thing? Lets not let that happen again. They've been bypassing those 3 with passes in front of our back line all game.

The diamond might help a bit but Chapman as shuttler has already seen a free kick when reacting to a line breaking pass.

I agree and I am surprised that Vanney chose to take Osorio off for Cheyrou. Should have been one of Chapman or Vasquez. If they are trying to play 4-3-1-2 I would have subbed Vasquez or Chapman for Delgado orCooper so the "3" could be Oso, Bradley, Delgado ( Cooper). Chapman is struggling a bit out wide and it's not the best use of Vasquez either.

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Zavaleta is the one responsible for the loss, so he should be punished for his mistake, but its because family overpowers the club

Nobody has ever claimed that Zavaleta is favoured unfairly. Making something out of nothing. Plus he just did a great tackle stopping a dangerous play a few minutes ago.

You don't know what you're missing if you turn off the Columbus commentary on MLS Live. Apparently the Crew have a special event where you can bring a dog to the game, with a special dog park before the game? WTF?

As I expected, Ricketts offers very little in this game. Bumbles the ball & loses possession on a very promising attack.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Really starting to think we caught lightning in a bottle with Ricketts last year. So far this season this is the Ricketts I was expecting last year and that I didn't want us to sign... the not-very-good one.

Damn, I wanted to just post about the same referring to Ricketts. This season he has not brought almost anything to the table...

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 08:15 PM
This is a tough game to watch. I feel like I'm watching AA baseball with a couple of meddling teams the entertainment value is so low.

Bobo
05-10-2017, 08:15 PM

This. TFC absolutely needs to sacrifice some midfield depth for a dependable goal-scoring forward.

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Argh this team...

Chapman, Cheyrou, Chapman, Vazquez passing the ball around nice and quick. That's what was missing in the first half. Bradley gets the ball, in a totally different mindspace. No quick pass, trap the ball, look around, dribble, look around some more, then lob a totally obvious & slow pass to Beitashour, who gets clattered for his efforts.

DinamoTFC
05-10-2017, 08:22 PM
I miss Delgado. The game flows so much better with him on the field. He doesn't over complicate things. Quick passes and transition. This game is so boring. Just like last time we played them.

DinamoTFC
05-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Omg this game is so frustrating. Chapman having a shit game

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Thank god, he did sweet fuck all before that.

PAOK17
05-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Of course it's Rickets!

MightyDM
Holy f*cking shit talk about undeserved!

DinamoTFC
Fuckin right. Edwards with the assist. I love this kid

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Ha thanks Ricketts for proving me wrong!!!

At least Edwards knows how to cross.

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 08:29 PM
RICKETTS! Well, Edwards --> Ricketts!!!!

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 08:31 PM
4-5-1, sitting back, I hope this doesn't bite us in the ass. Could have been a PK right there for example.

notthesun
05-10-2017, 08:31 PM

Ha! The classic "talk shit about a guy to make him score".

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Unbelievable... Totally against the flow of the game...

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 08:32 PM
This. TFC absolutely needs to sacrifice some midfield depth for a dependable goal-scoring forward.

Hahahaha. We all get too negative too quickly. He has his moments. As we now know

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Great subs cheyrou-edwards-ricketts
I like Vanney but I'd hold short of any praise. The team came out confused and unbalanced... that's ultimately on the coach but credit given for salvaging a draw out of this dumpster fire.

tfcfans
WooHoo!!!!!

pdubs
omg holy shit

ag futbol
Repeat after me: Ricketts is god.

PAOK17
05-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Wow Edwards to Rickets again lol

Edit: Clever touch by Vazquez

MightyDM
Good thing we didn't release Ricketts....

Bobo

Uhh, oops?

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 08:38 PM
LOL this is lit now

AlanO
Start the car!

Auzzy
Ricketts says HERE YOU GO F U AUZZY! I love it.

notthesun
all right I'm saying bad things about Ricketts in every game thread from now on

khso11
05-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Edwards MOTM!

ag futbol
No one would ever accuse us of being fickle but...

SirBobSaget
Haha I think Ricketts reads this board between poor touches. A few will be happily eating crow right now :p

Auzzy
Hey Ricketts YOU SUCK SCORE SOME MORE GOALS PLEASE! ;)

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 08:40 PM
So Raheem, are you going to Real Madrid or Barcelona next season?

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Incredible touch by Vasquez. Incredible.

Thomas
Where is Pizza Yeti now?

LOL this is lit now

Detroit_TFC
Start the car!

Getting ready to steal some points from Columbus, got to get to the border as quick as possible before the bloodhounds and trackers catch up...

tfcfans
05-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Way to steal one boys!!!

The sign of a great team is winning in the face of adversity - the last two games showed this tremendously.......

Thomas
Indeed!

Damn, I wanted to just post about the same referring to Ricketts. This season he has not brought almost anything to the table...

SirBobSaget
MOM Vanney. Not afraid to make early changes, kept pushing to attack with positive subs.

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Wow, big win! Can't wait for the follow up this weekend.

Edwards just seems to offer this team something special. He plays of Vasquez and the rest of the guys really well.

DinamoTFC
Wow we are so fuckin lucky. We deserved to lose 3 0. But this is what champions are made of.

First time we ever won 5 games in a row !!!

And Edwards. I love this kid! Fearless! Attacks and crosses well. And 2 assists. Fuckin right.

SirBobSaget
Trillium Cup still in reach!! Despite Clb having the unfair advantage of 2 home games

OgtheDim
05-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Start the car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWCLw75XnE

James17930
Wow!

Revenge is so f-ing sweet!

SoccMan2
Fold this sorry ass franchise fucken embarrassment to MLS no more than 3000 in the stands it's time MLS fold them or move them.

Cuchulain
How many times were we on the other end of a game like that? This feels much better!!!

ManUtd4ever
Well, we did not deserve anything out of this match, but I'll give the boys a pass for that effort due to fatigue. Edwards stole 3 points for us.

bones
I'm still in shock....

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 08:45 PM
I can't stop laughing, TFC played like 10 mins and won.

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 08:45 PM
I like Vanney but I'd hold short of any praise. The team came out confused and unbalanced... that's ultimately on the coach but credit given for salvaging a draw out of this dumpster fire.

he got the starting line up wrong. I am guessing that it won't happen again. Vasquez and Chapman play the same position and cannot be on the field together at the same time. I agreed with no Edwards and lots of mids to contain Hiuain but this team needs Ricketts or Edwards on the pitch for pace. And Jozy had a poor game , he looked tired. Cheyrou and Vasquez were very good when it counted.

Oldtimer
05-10-2017, 08:46 PM
What an impressive come from behind win on the road.

The subs by Vanney made all the difference.

Bardown Snipes
05-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Really shows the character of this team. What a comeback for the boys in red!

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 08:50 PM
The TFC players were laughing in disbelief at the end, they know they stole that game.

However remember we had & missed a deserved penalty. Had it been 1-1 there I think the game would have gone differently. Instead it took even more wind out of their sails. It took Edwards & Cheyrou (plus Rickets & Vazquez who had been on longer) to turn things around.

I don't even know if Vanney had the starting lineup wrong. Vazquez & Chapman are intelligent players who can theoretically combine well. TFC just started flat, tired, even disinterested. I do think that Edwards and/or Delgado add a spark which has helped in recent games. I can't see either of them starting a game standing around like most of the other players were. At least one of them should start.

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 08:51 PM
i can't stop laughing, tfc played like 10 mins and won.

bingo,
bingo,
bingo

ag futbol
05-10-2017, 08:52 PM
he got the starting line up wrong. I am guessing that it won't happen again. Vasquez and Chapman play the same position and cannot be on the field together at the same time. I agreed with no Edwards and lots of kids to contain Hiuain but this team is needs Ricketts or Edwards on the pitch for pace. And Jozybhad a poor game , he looked tired. Cheyrou and Vasquez were very good when it counted.
Agreed he corrects his mistakes rather quickly. Wouldn't expect him to repeat what happened today.

I think keeping Edwards off to start was the right move, but shame there was no room for Morgan.

Cheyrou for me was a huge part of changing the game, he sorted out the midfield... maybe one more year after this 😁

notthesun
Quick thoughts:

- Don't think the 3-5-2 is a good match up vs. Columbus. At least Vanney realized it quickly and made the appropriate changes.

- Edwards is putting Morgan out of a job

- Cheyrou provided what we missed with Delgado out: quick and accurate passing

- Vazquez is a difference maker and I just can't help thinking about what could've been if we'd signed him last year

PizzaEatingYeti
Yeah! I happily eat crow because of Ricketts, but in my eyes EDWARDS brought in the real change.
He should start every game!!!!!

UpTheReds
05-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Smash and grab job!!! As has been said, this is what championship teams do. They take points from games they have no business being in. It was always going to be a tricky one but to take all 3 points??

MightyDM
05-10-2017, 08:54 PM

exactly

Kaz
05-10-2017, 08:54 PM
TFC is now 1 point from tying their point total from the Worse Team in the World Season. 2012 was 23 points from 34 games. This year 22 points in the first 11

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Was this the worst ever played game by TCF but won?
The stream was horrible in the last 30 minutes on Youtube, and I couldn't believe the second goal.

Yeah, we didn't deserve even 1 point, played like crap 80 minutes, but how many times we deserved a win this season, and ended up just drawing?
At least 3 times!
So this is just kind of justice done in the long run...

Batman
05-10-2017, 08:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWCLw75XnE

LOL. Good find. I loved that ad.

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2017, 08:59 PM
TFC is now 1 point from tying their point total from the Worse Team in the World Season. 2012 was 23 points from 34 games. This year 22 points in the first 11

It's a fact, but still shocking to think about about it.

DinamoTFC
05-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Edwards, Cheyrou or Delgado (because game flows well with him) and Ricketts all deserve to start next game.

Maybe rest altidore a game and give ricketts another start with Giovinco if he's back and healthy.

And Mavinga didn't deserve to come off today. He was playing well. Rather should have been Zavaleta. But he was sacrificed foe the tactical change. Hope he gets another starting chance and the switch doesn't kill his confidence.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-10-2017, 09:04 PM

Poor, poor Koevermans, imagine him being on the field with these guys we have now.... He would have scored 20 goals per season.

DinamoTFC
First time we ever won 5 in a row. Good chance to make it 6 this Saturday. That would be huge.

Thomas
[yes Yeti. This team has character and a back bone, and that helped us to pull through. I agree that we could have easily lost this one, but we pulled through. The reality of being in a parity league, is we won't win every game. QUOTE=PizzaEatingYeti;1838671]Was this the worst ever played game by TCF but won?
The stream was horrible in the last 30 minutes on Youtube, and I couldn't believe the second goal.

Yeah, we didn't deserve even 1 point, played like crap 80 minutes, but how many times we deserved a win this season, and ended up just drawing?
At least 3 times!
So this is just kind of justice done in the long run...[/QUOTE]

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 09:15 PM
I just wanted to say:

First goal was Cheyrou - Vazquez - Edwards - Ricketts.

Second goal was Cheyrou - Edwards - Vazquez - Ricketts.

General Woolfe
05-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Talk about smash and grab ...

That was a very lethargic performance by the Reds tonight, but three points are three points however you get them. I'm just grateful we took them at the end of the day. However, the best part of the first hour was a tactical disaster, truth be told. It is credit to the coach who was able to see this and turn things around with the tactical switch and his substitutions. (something I've been critical of in the last two fixtures)

We seemed to start that game 5-4-1, which I'm sure wasn't the case, and Columbus were able to compress our midfield into such a narrow set up, we were unable to get a foothold in the middle of the park. Even with the move to a flat back four we were still struggling to get a foothold. It was only when Cheyrou came on, to team up with Bradley and Vazquez, we managed to settle into any sort of rhythm in midfield. The switch of Edwards for Chapman however was the key to the match. Young Raheem was able to unlock Columbus, not once but twice, in what for me was a MOTM performance. The young Torontonian proved to be the difference maker on the night with two beautiful balls in behind their defence. As is always the case, just when I was starting to think Ricketts was not the same player who was so effective off the bench for us in the playoffs last year, and that we might need to examine our options for a back up striker, up he pops with a brace to secure all three points.

All in all not our most sparkling 90 minutes of the campaign so far, but as the cliche says, great teams find a way to win even when they're not in the best form. If ever there was a case for that cliche to be aired it was tonight...

Onwards and upwards TFC, let's extend our winning run to six games on the weekend, when the Loons come to town

:scarf:

OgtheDim
05-10-2017, 09:26 PM
A good night all around. Looking like we will be playing Ottawa in the Voyageurs - up 3-1 on aggregate with 2 away goals.

Auzzy
05-10-2017, 09:32 PM
A good night all around. Looking like we will be playing Ottawa in the Voyageurs - up 3-1 on aggregate with 2 away goals.

Would we play them home & away? Road trip to Ottawa would be nice!

Areathrasher
05-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Good teams always find a way to win http://forum.football365.com/images/smilies/icon_thumbsup.gif

Hamilton_Red
05-10-2017, 09:54 PM
This game showed how good a team we are. Difficult mid-week game after West coast trip - missing Giovinco....Played poorly for 75 minutes. Edwards has made a claim for a starting 11 role - he gets better and better. Ricketts get's his season going & Vasquez is really finding his stride. Add in Cheyrou playing well & we are really becoming a complete team.

TFC_4_Life
05-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Three stars:
1: Edwards
2: Ricketts - There is a reason he is not a starter in MLS and does not have a complete package of skills. But the criticism is overstated. He has provided quality output for his minutes and role.
3. Vanney - Original game plan didn't work and made necessary in game changes. Both in terms of tactics and subs.

Not pretty and frustrating for most, but hard to be overly critical of TFC in this game considering the ridiculous situation of playing 3rd game in 8 days. Which makes the result that much more satisfying.

I hate playing C-bus. Every time we beat them, which is not that often, i chant "Sub-prime mortgages / clap clap clap-clap clap" which is what we chanted on the bus ride through Columbus in the road trip of 2009.

Honorable mention to Cheyrou. I just love what this guy is all about. Pure class.

ensco
05-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Incredible touch by Vasquez. Incredible.

Vasquez is a one man case study of the tiny little things that can separate elite players from the group.

98% of the time he looks exactly like Osorio. But he has 8 assists in 10 games (or whatever).

boozilla
05-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Please shelve the Trillium Concept Cup.

Initial B
05-10-2017, 10:33 PM
I must confess, I turned off the TV in the 78th minute and told my son when he got home that TFC lost 1-0. My son just checked the score and I feel stupid. Tobias time usually happens *against* TFC, not *for* TFC. How the heck did they manage to win that game?

notthesun
05-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Shame that Edwards isn't considered a rookie because he played professionally in USL. He'd be the early front-runner for Rookie of the Year.

I hope Zambrano is watching though.

69Chevy396
05-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Yeah! I happily eat crow because of Ricketts, but in my eyes EDWARDS brought in the real change.
He should start every game!!!!!
If he continues to improve at this rate, he will be playing with Messi in a year or two.

69Chevy396
05-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Vasquez is a one man case study of the tiny little things that can separate elite players from the group.

98% of the time he looks exactly like Osorio. But he has 8 assists in 10 games (or whatever).
I don't agree. Osorio is nowhere near Mr V in any category, and, barring a miracle, will likely spend most of the remainder of his career on a bench.

Jack
05-10-2017, 11:40 PM
In a long season with a deep squad, you need to get everyone in and rotate some. It also doesn't hurt to try different tactics, especially considering our loss last time against Columbus. Of course, you still have to see how the players react and, if needed, make adjustments. This was a good step forward for Vanney tonight, but also a good shot in the arm for a team playing a lot of games in a short period of time. Edwards, Ricketts and Vanney all deserve praise for their roles tonight. And how about that touch from Vazquez?

Redcoe15
05-10-2017, 11:42 PM
I really didn't think it was going to be our night, especially after Jozy missed the penalty kick. But...HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEHHHH!!!!! :devil: That it came at the expense of the Pissstains on their turf made it even sweeter.

See you gang at the match Saturday against the Loonies. Should be a good one.

Jack
05-10-2017, 11:49 PM
Also, how about Hagglund anchoring our back line during this run? The guy has been immense.

ensco
05-11-2017, 06:55 AM
I don't agree. Osorio is nowhere near Mr V in any category, and, barring a miracle, will likely spend most of the remainder of his career on a bench.

Osorio has a lot of skill on the ball. His minutes are dropping because of our depth, we are overloaded in midfield.

I don't know why he has become a bit of a whipping boy around here.

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2017, 07:01 AM
In case someone hasn't already posted this.

NlWCLw75XnE

ensco
05-11-2017, 07:13 AM
Have we ever played that badly and won? Ever?

Jack
05-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Osorio has a lot of skill on the ball. His minutes are dropping because of our depth, we are overloaded in midfield.

Because of what you said. "On the ball". Off the ball, Oso needs a lot of work to be a regular starter with our depth. And his decision-making can sometimes leave me shaking my head. If you look at VV's off the ball play, combined with his positioning and skill on the ball, it's a big difference. The football IQ of a guy who came out of La Masia is showing and there's a reason why so many good players come out of that place.

MightyDM
05-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Thats how I feel. He played decently last night and had some very good ball movement. The problem wasn't him, it was the formation and the fact that Chapman was playing in a position he hasn't had minutes in, so he was thinking his way around the field. It was not set up right for any of them. I think Vanney was trying to make it 5-1-3-1 and if so it must be Vazquez OR Chapman and the players beside one of them need to be two of Osorio, Delgado or Cooper.

fergiejr
05-11-2017, 07:41 AM
In case someone hasn't already posted this.

NlWCLw75XnE

Ha! Good Pull!!

fergiejr
05-11-2017, 07:42 AM
I just wanted to say:

First goal was Cheyrou - Vazquez - Edwards - Ricketts.

Second goal was Cheyrou - Edwards - Vazquez - Ricketts.

Second goal. I watched that probably 5 times on the PVR. I slowed it down - Vazquez starts celebrating just before Ricketts gets a foot on the ball - well before the ball went in. What a touch! Pure Gold!

J-Man
05-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Thats one of the funniest ive seen

fergiejr
05-11-2017, 07:46 AM
I must confess, I turned off the TV in the 78th minute and told my son when he got home that TFC lost 1-0. My son just checked the score and I feel stupid. Tobias time usually happens *against* TFC, not *for* TFC. How the heck did they manage to win that game?

Around the same time I went to pick up dinner - figured I was good to go and that TFC would lose. Happily, they did not and I had set my PVR so I backed it up and watched the final 15 min or so again.

MightyDM
05-11-2017, 07:53 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday. Edwards has to start, and they will go back to the normal three at the back. I think Altidore gets a rest, and maybe Bradley ( heavy legs), but otherwise going as close to the earlier line up as possible: Irwin Beitshour Zavaleta (Moor?) Hagglund Morrow Edwards Cheyrou Delgado Vanquez Giovinco Ricketts with Hamilton coming on if all is going well.

TFC Tifoso
05-11-2017, 07:58 AM
smash and grab for 3!!! what a game.....games like this make me happier than ones where we win in dominating fashion....woooooo!

Oldtimer
05-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Maybe the start of the Miracle in Montreal game... but not 80 minutes of bad for sure!

Second goal. I watched that probably 5 times on the PVR. I slowed it down - Vazquez starts celebrating just before Ricketts gets a foot on the ball - well before the ball went in. What a touch! Pure Gold!

He knew it was going to go in!!!

Joe Kool
05-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Man TFC looked tired and out of sorts last night. When Jozy had the penalty it was the first time I thought to myself...it is going to be saved. Reason being it was just one of those nights. There was nothing happening for us. I am in utter shock even this morning of what went down in the last 10 min. Definitely a "start the car!" moment when it ended with us on top. Interesting part about our two Columbus games is that in the first game we had it fairly under control but fell asleep defensively for about 10 min and they scored twice. Now tonight the tables were reversed. They had it under control until they fell asleep a bit defensively. The energy from Edwards helped ignite that for us though. Good for him.

PopePouri
05-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Also, how about Hagglund anchoring our back line during this run? The guy has been immense.

I think we have a tendency to think 2017 Hagglund should be the same as 2014 Hagglund, just a raw CB that shouldn't be starting. His development this year has been fun to watch.

snowcrash
05-11-2017, 09:08 AM

On the first goal, his turn after receiving the ball near midfield to start the attack was pure class.

C.Ronaldo
05-11-2017, 09:20 AM
On the first goal, his turn after receiving the ball near midfield to start the attack was pure class.

yes, that connection with him and cheyrou is proof that synergy has a huge impact in soccer.

cheyrou doesnt try that pass with a lesser MLS level player. that simply was not a passing channel that happens in the tradtional MLS

C.Ronaldo
05-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Three stars:
1: Edwards
2: Ricketts - There is a reason he is not a starter in MLS and does not have a complete package of skills. But the criticism is overstated. He has provided quality output for his minutes and role.
3. Vanney - Original game plan didn't work and made necessary in game changes. Both in terms of tactics and subs.

Not pretty and frustrating for most, but hard to be overly critical of TFC in this game considering the ridiculous situation of playing 3rd game in 8 days. Which makes the result that much more satisfying.

I hate playing C-bus. Every time we beat them, which is not that often, i chant "Sub-prime mortgages / clap clap clap-clap clap" which is what we chanted on the bus ride through Columbus in the road trip of 2009.

Honorable mention to Cheyrou. I just love what this guy is all about. Pure class.

I cant wait to see what Cheyrou can teach the youngsters as a coach

Section_105
05-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Those guys were tired.

Not sharp/crisp with the play and passing which along with the formation mismatch led to a very frustrating first 40.(well..75..)

What didn't get a lot of mention was that their flight to the Wet Coast puke green game got in at 1am. they then played at 12 the next day. I got to a conference on a late flight once and couldn't concentrate for 2 days but these guys did the work, flew back and hit CBUS within 1/2 a week. So understandably tired and a team rotated massively since the homestand.

Glad Edwards got some minutes while mostly fresh at the end of the game to inject his energy and pace. He cramped up early in Seattle so was wondering what his recovery would be like.

Also wondered what it would be like with Vazquez and Cheyrou on the pitch at the same time......sublime linkups and calming presence is the answer.

hopefully my neighbours didn't go to be early as I started clapping when the first went in and screaming when the second dropped (and Vazquez celebrating as the ball is being hit.....wow...such vision that he can see the angle of the foot strike and know the keeper isn't getting there.)

Section_105
05-11-2017, 10:04 AM
And poor CBUS. with the excellent teams they field how is there not more support. How do those players get up for a game as often as they do with such patchy support? And Higuain deserves a raise.

Jack
05-11-2017, 10:18 AM
I think we have a tendency to think 2017 Hagglund should be the same as 2014 Hagglund, just a raw CB that shouldn't be starting. His development this year has been fun to watch.
It's hard to be patient with young defenders, because of the impact their mistakes often have. But even the greats go through early foibles and growing pains. It's a position that improves with time and that's why defenders tend to hit their prime later.

Both Hagglund and Zavaleta have been steadily improving and, if his trajectory continues, Hagglund could be our anchor back there for the next decade.

Stress
05-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Those guys were tired.

Not sharp/crisp with the play and passing which along with the formation mismatch led to a very frustrating first 40.(well..75..)

What didn't get a lot of mention was that their flight to the Wet Coast puke green game got in at 1am. they then played at 12 the next day. I got to a conference on a late flight once and couldn't concentrate for 2 days but these guys did the work, flew back and hit CBUS within 1/2 a week. So understandably tired and a team rotated massively since the homestand.

Glad Edwards got some minutes while mostly fresh at the end of the game to inject his energy and pace. He cramped up early in Seattle so was wondering what his recovery would be like.

Also wondered what it would be like with Vazquez and Cheyrou on the pitch at the same time......sublime linkups and calming presence is the answer.

hopefully my neighbours didn't go to be early as I started clapping when the first went in and screaming when the second dropped (and Vazquez celebrating as the ball is being hit.....wow...such vision that he can see the angle of the foot strike and know the keeper isn't getting there.)

FYI pretty sure their flight got in at 1am Friday not 1am Saturday. They were gassed for training on Friday in Seattle before the game but they didn't arrive at 1am the night before the game. Still, I'm sure it impacted them but definitely not as crazy of a turnaround as you stated.

hulkrogan
05-11-2017, 01:24 PM
The Cheyrou pass on the first goal... wow. Steps up, waits until the last possible second and several Columbus players are dedicated to closing off the lane, and slips it past all of them opening the void for Vasquez.

Section_105
05-11-2017, 01:45 PM
FYI pretty sure their flight got in at 1am Friday not 1am Saturday. They were gassed for training on Friday in Seattle before the game but they didn't arrive at 1am the night before the game. Still, I'm sure it impacted them but definitely not as crazy of a turnaround as you stated.

Thanks. I must have completely misunderstood what KJ said then. too much beer.
It didn't make sense to me that they would travel that far and not have at least a day on the ground.

cheers.

Borga
05-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Really entertaining reading this game thread after the fact. Thanks to all who contributed to the doom & gloom before the miraculous win.

Section_105
05-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Really entertaining reading this game thread after the fact. Thanks to all who contributed to the doom & gloom before the miraculous win.

LOL, this is why I try not to post in game. I just do it out-loud to who ever is around and have to back track when I get it all wrong. There is something to be said about calling out a player and having them step up and make a fool of you. Happens all the time.

Jack
05-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Supporting TFC is hard, sometimes. I wonder how long it will take before we get over the first years.

Section_105
05-11-2017, 03:10 PM
The PTSD is strong with this group.

Jack
05-11-2017, 03:20 PM
The PTSD is strong with this group.

So many fucking times, man. So many heartbreaks. So many late game goals against. So many collapses. The New York debacle. It tends to make you expect it. Logically, I know this is different. I can be rational about it most of the time. But that twinge is there; the little demon chained to my soul who tells me "here we go again" or "they're going to collapse again". I can ignore him most of the time, but sometimes he gets out.

Auzzy
05-11-2017, 03:29 PM

TFC played like crap for most of the game. Mostly understandable, considering fatigue, and lineup changes which were necessary but also meant there was not a huge amount of familiarity with the system or the teammates. Columbus was better, but not that great, so it wasn't a very entertaining match for long periods. Altidore's PK could have really helped the game. A handball PK on Hagglund, or an easy goal that Meram missed could have made it much worse. The comeback was amazing and surprising. We made ample fun of ourselves for doubting Ricketts beforehand. All very understandable.

paul-collins
05-11-2017, 03:37 PM

The comeback was amazing and surprising. We made ample fun of ourselves for doubting Ricketts beforehand. All very understandable.
What made it entertaining for me was that, while reading the posts, I was essentially revisiting my internal monologue... What a terrible, terrible game - until suddenly it wasn't...

Jack
05-11-2017, 03:39 PM
That's why I love this game.

Oldtimer
05-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Supporting TFC is hard, sometimes. I wonder how long it will take before we get over the first years.

I think we haven't shown ourselves recovered until our avatars change to something more positive, lol.

It may take some time to get over 9 years of heart-breaking, soul-sucking, hope destroying, devastating, cynicism spreading crap that was TFC that would have totally killed the support of any less fervent fan base.

If TFC had been in a promotion/relegation setup it would have lost professional status by year 5. We got 9 years of hopeless.

General Woolfe
05-11-2017, 04:46 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday. Edwards has to start, and they will go back to the normal three at the back. I think Altidore gets a rest, and maybe Bradley ( heavy legs), but otherwise going as close to the earlier line up as possible: Irwin Beitshour Zavaleta (Moor?) Hagglund Morrow Edwards Cheyrou Delgado Vanquez Giovinco Ricketts with Hamilton coming on if all is going well.

Is that not a back four rather than three? Not sure what you mean there with Moor in brackets? I would agree with the rest of your observations, however I would bring Alitidore off the bench if were struggling to break down the Loon's defence. We need to be careful not to take Minnesota lightly. They put in a good shift against SKC (one of the league's better sides) and their defence has solidified after the trade with Colorado. I'd go with;
Bono
Zavaleta, Moor, Hagglund
Beitshour, Bradley, Vazquez, Delgado, Morrow
Giovinco, Ricketts
Bench: Irwin, Edwards, Cheyrou, Altidore, Chapman, Osorio

General Woolfe
05-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Those guys were tired.

We havent really commented much on the rotation, which couldnt have been easy to adapt to and was visible early in the game last night. We've been focused on the concentration of games and travel fatigue, which no doubt were a factor. However, having to adapt to three different set ups in as many games was also a challenge for the players. Often a simple switch of personnel can take a game or two for players to adapt to, so its a credit to this squad that they were able to come to terms with the changes quickly and still emerge with full points.

General Woolfe
05-11-2017, 05:23 PM

To be honest i've been a fan of Nick Hagglund since he was drafted. Even through those times when he was making mistakes and there was talk of using him as draft bait, I felt he was a guy we could build our defence around for years to come. He always seemed to be the fall guy when in reality the experienced players around him werent always setting the best of examples (Players like Caldwell, who despite having tremendous heart and commitment were pretty limited in skills) I was delighted Nick got a contract extension in the off season there and I hope he continues to grow and enjoy great success with our club in the future

Jack
05-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Yup. It's been a long time coming.

ensco
05-11-2017, 05:35 PM

I think he's November 2016 69th minute Hagglund forever more. He can do no wrong. Same for Ricketts and Cheyrou.

Mavinga may be the better player, but we all know who you will buy a beer, if both Mavinga and Hagglund walk into the pub in 2041.

Auzzy
05-11-2017, 09:44 PM

Well, probably any game we won in the first few years. Man we were shite, even just a few years ago. Of course generally the MLS competition was also worse then (but usually not as bad as TFC).

MightyDM
05-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Is that not a back four rather than three? Not sure what you mean there with Moor in brackets? I would agree with the rest of your observations, however I would bring Alitidore off the bench if were struggling to break down the Loon's defence. We need to be careful not to take Minnesota lightly. They put in a good shift against SKC (one of the league's better sides) and their defence has solidified after the trade with Colorado. I'd go with;
Bono
Zavaleta, Moor, Hagglund
Beitshour, Bradley, Vazquez, Delgado, Morrow
Giovinco, Ricketts
Bench: Irwin, Edwards, Cheyrou, Altidore, Chapman, Osorio

i was trying to predict what Vanney would do rather than giving my choices. Moor was in brackets because I am not entirely sure if he is available and if he is he maybe in formHagglund or Zavaleta. But I had a back three of Morrow Haggs Zavaleta with Beita and Edwards.

Edwards has to start.

Jozy has to rest. And Bradley just might.

MightyDM
05-11-2017, 10:34 PM
I think he's November 2016 69th minute Hagglund forever more. He can do no wrong. Same for Ricketts and Cheyrou.

Mavinga may be the better player, but we all know who you will buy a beer, if both Mavinga and Hagglund walk into the pub in 2041.

yes. Yes. Yes.

C.Ronaldo
05-12-2017, 10:47 AM
yes. Yes. Yes.

haglund gets more than a beer, thats for sure

PizzaEatingYeti
05-12-2017, 07:33 PM
I think we haven't shown ourselves recovered until our avatars change to something more positive, lol.

It may take some time to get over 9 years of heart-breaking, soul-sucking, hope destroying, devastating, cynicism spreading crap that was TFC that would have totally killed the support of any less fervent fan base.

If TFC had been in a promotion/relegation setup it would have lost professional status by year 5. We got 9 years of hopeless.

Very true!
But the fun thing is that years from now we will think and talk about those first 7 or so years of TFC's crappy MLS presence with a smile, and will be part of the TFC's bright history.
Maybe we're starting even now... though it's way too early IMO.

Someone here has a brilliant signature, goes something like:
"Proud supporter of the Worst Team in the World since 2007."

Only we, who suffered with TFC in those dark times, will know what that really means...
10 years from now.... when maybe TFC will have 2-3 times as many fans as now.
And we'll feel great then... a feeling those newer fans will never ever experience.