PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rapids Supporters leave stadium en masse

AL-MO
07-30-2008, 07:29 PM
From the U-Sector board by way of the Ultras Board...

This was posted on one of the other boards...it is from a Colorado Rapids supporter and I think you all should read it. The entire supporters section last weekend was either thrown out or left in protest after an incident involving smoke. He is looking for advice from TFC supporters on how to proceed at rapidquinn33@aol.com

I'm sure you all heard what I said on the show yesterday about the problems Rapids fans had in Sunday, I'll try to fill you guys in a bit more on whats going on. I'm sure it was noticeable that there was basically no noise in the stadium...not that our tiny supporters section makes it some kind of kop or anything, but something is better than nothing.

In any case I'm sure everyone is aware of the new rules the league handed down regarding streamers...and the video taping of supporters groups. I want it to be known that we have had huge problems with stadium security and from our own front office. It really is a long and complicated problem, but I'll do my best to give you all the gist of it.

Security essentially interprets the rules differently on a game-to-game basis, and as a result they can essentially throw you out for anything. I was personally threatened ejection one game for questioning whether they had enforced the rules properly (I used no profanities or threats), and the security guy saw fit to call over the police and have me forcibly removed from the building. Any excuse to throw any of us out, they'll take it.

While we continue to have these problems, the Rapids Front Office stands idly by and does absolutely nothing. This is not like the problems in New York where the clubs hands are tied and they have little or no control over security...KSE (the Rapids ownership) has full control of the facility and can run it as they see fit, including the conduct of the stadium security. When it comes down to it, they really don't care about the supporters, I'd even go so far as to say they don't want us at all. This is the same front office that has told us that we are "replaceable" and that we make sections of the stadium "un-sellable".

So here is what happened in Sunday...we were trying out best to do our thing (drums, streamers, etc). A smoke bomb was lit in our section (and was shown on both the jumbo screen and the TV broadcast), this naturally alerted security. I do realize that smoke bombs are not allowed and why they don't allow them (funny that the Rapids use it in all their marketing though, pretending that they support some great fanbase). I did not light it, and I did not see who lit it.

You'd think security would find the perpetrator with their alleged CCTV and throw him out, nope. Instead they came down and basically started throwing everybody out. I didn't matter if we asked why or for what reason, or if we could see these "tapes", they just basically booted anybody that made eye contact. However have heard that the whole thing about cameras is a bunch of crap, and that they're not taping us at all.

In disgust the entire section pretty much walked out. By the final whistle there were 5 people left in the section. To my knowledge security threw out several people, not least a 13 year old kid who was looking for his parents. Two season ticket holders were also banned, and I'm sure several non-season ticket holders were also banned.

This is just an example of the kind of crap that happens every single home game. We try our best to bring atmosphere into that stadium, and we try to do the same things other groups around the league have been doing. You'd think with the new stadium and everything, our supporters group would grow. It hasn't. We have actually shrunk in size, we have fewer people at each game. We can't recruit new people because they get booted for nothing. It really is getting to the point where there may not even be a supporters section at all next year. This is quickly flying out of control (as if it already hasn't). They are killing the supporters. Its at the point where we may have to completely start over (again).

I'll admit we have the smallest, and possibly worst, supporters section in the league, its not like this is news to anybody else. Its not like we don't try to make it better. We try our best to make it better and nothing comes of it. I'm not writing this to whine and complain, or to look for sympathy. I want some advice. I want to save the section.

What have other groups done to try and improve things? We sure wont get any support from the front office, they don't care. We've met with them frequently and they tell us they'll make changes...and it never happens. Does anybody have any advice on how we can handle this. We're frankly running out of ideas.

Troll
07-30-2008, 07:37 PM
that sucks bro.

werewolf
07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
That sucks. Really going to hinder the growth of the league and fan-base with continually having problems in various cities.

profit89
07-30-2008, 07:44 PM
That sucks. Really going to hinder the growth of the league and fan-base with continually having problems in various cities.

Totally agree. The front office should be ashamed of themselves. This is part of the reason i support a soft salary cap dependent on ticket revenues. Create incentives for FOs to foster fan-base growth.

This is part of the problem when stadiums are placed in the burbs. You get that suburban soccer mom culture. All stadiums should be near urban centres! Different culture.

Dave67
07-30-2008, 07:46 PM
If they have tried an organised face to face meeting with the club and it produces the result of being told they are replaceable and being booted out I don't see many options.

Exclusively supporting the team on the road is one option that I know other people have had to turn to.

BC101
07-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Amazing... you'd think the Crapids F/O would get together with these guys and help them grow as a group. Its not as if they have tons of supporters otherwise... Just soccer mums looking for a family afternoon at the park. Not many of them and all.

Keystone FC
07-30-2008, 07:59 PM
If they have tried an organised face to face meeting with the club and it produces the result of being told they are replaceable and being booted out I don't see many options.

Exclusively supporting the team on the road is one option that I know other people have had to turn to.

Supporting on the road may be a bit of an ordeal for the Rapid fans seeing as how the closest team is Salt Lake and then Dallas which is about a day and a half drive.
I do agree a face to face is in order with the supporters, FO, AND security. The Rapids are kinda of like the Crew in that they are one of the originals of the MLS which built it's marketing around the soccer moms and youth league outings. Most of these clubs have had a difficult time in adjusting from the 'family friendly' program to a 'soccer fan' scheme.
I think this is a backlash from what is going on in the stands. The fans want to turn it up a notch but the FO isn't quite ready.

Roogsy
07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
This is the sort of thing that I feel unites the supporters of MLS teams.

Being that MLS is a single entity and the franchisees wield a lot of power, I have never subscribed to the "they are Colorado fans, screw them".

If supporters united across the league, they would wield much more power collectively than individually.

That being said...since we don't have that, these guys are facing a REAL problem...not the chicken shit that we see at BMO that is barely conversation material (sometimes I get the feeling that Toronto supporters are somewhat whiney every time security looks at them the wrong way) these guys need to do something forceful. Supporters need to stay away for a game, or turn their backs or something.

And the players need to speak out on behalf of the fans. Players talk about how much they love atmosphere...well...here the FO is ensuring there is none and so the players need to have the supporters backs just as much as the supporters would have theirs.

FluSH
07-30-2008, 08:06 PM
What is the MLS thinking?! Do they want to commit suicide?! Soccer moms and little leagues will not fill your stadium day-in-day out...

BC101
07-30-2008, 08:07 PM
What is the MLS thinking?! Do they want to commit suicide?! Soccer moms and little leagues will not fill your stadium day-in-day out...

I know I know...MLS confuses the fuck outta me.

juki
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds kind of familiar...good for those rapids supporters. Stand your ground! Their (owners) fault anyways, who told them to bring football to our cities.

James17930
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
That is complete and total utter bullshit. But yeah, if the F/O has told them they think they are actually a hinderence to the team then, well, why keep supporting the team?

I think the players and coaches actually need to step in here and give their support to the supporters. They may be the only ones who anyone would listen to at this point.

I just can't believe that. Absolutely nuts. It's financial suicide . . . don't they see that? Especially after what Garber was saying at the ASG about how they need to establish new Best Practices modelled on TFC.

Wow.

TFC FAN72
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Unbelievable. How does this league expect to grow when it won't step in and explain to ownership that STH in those markets are a rarity and to cherish those that embrace the game and team and want to see it expand.

Sure hope TFC security does not see this.:rolleyes:

FluSH
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM

You can only bring so many Beckhams until the novelty is gone and the teenie-boppers, soccer moms, and little leagues leave.

I would love to see an away support roadtrip full of soccer moms... MLS here's the thing... it ain't going to happen...

BC101
07-30-2008, 08:15 PM
You can only bring so many Beckhams until the novelty is gone and the teenie-boppers, soccer moms, and little leagues leave.

I would love to see an away support roadtrip full of soccer moms... MLS here's the thing... it ain't going to happen...

Imagine if Colorado was close enough for a large scale TFC supporters group road trip? they'd cry if we went there with even the numbers we had in Chicago.

profit89
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM

Ironically, kids are the ones that want to go specifically for the atmosphere at BMO.. You kill the supporters sections, you kill the team!

profit89
07-30-2008, 08:18 PM

No amount of Beckhams or Blancos can compare to an atmospheric stadium like BMO in converting people to be fans of MLS.

Bluenose13
07-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Hmmm.......200 hooligans to the mile high city next year.......a little show of support.

Roogsy
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Hmmm.......200 hooligans to the mile high city next year.......a little show of support.

LOL! I'm down! Let's all get thrown out together! :rofl:

werewolf
07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
next year?...what about Aug. 9th!!!

BC101
07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
next year?...what about Aug. 9th!!!

wanna pay for me? if so iam down.

bignickel
07-30-2008, 08:27 PM

definitely my favourite post since i started visiting this forum!
couldn't have said it better myself.

CretanBull
07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
for members:

http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=4036

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Thats brutal, ive heard shit about Rapids FO before.
Fingers crossed they get that sorted because thats no way to garner support, those jackasses.

blackandwhite
07-30-2008, 08:54 PM
sounds very familiar. if any one lit a smoke bomb he'd get the same treatment from our FO. and yet they continue to blow smoke onto south end every game. with increased cop presence and lists of supporters who are under watch this same stuff is bound to happen at BMO too.

ag futbol
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Is it any wonder they have no fans at the games? It's pretty well proven at this point what works and what doesn't. I can only wish they'd get a new ownership group.

I feel bad for their supporters because really to be part of a small group like that takes a whole lot of work and very little glory. Nobody is praising them for their actions, and the front office wants them to go away.

mauser09
07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Maybe if we get a bunch of TFC supporters to go down to Colorado and show the Rapids FO how much a great atmosphere can change the game. Or maybe we'll just get kicked out.

loconet
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Have all the supporters not go for a few games. Let's see how that turns out. Let's see if the players are happy that nobody is cheering them on. Let's see if FO still sees they are "replaceable".

It pisses me off to no end the arrogance of some managers who do not understand the football culture and act in ignorance hurting the growth of the sport. Sometimes it seems like they don't want to see it grow in this continent.

Puskas
07-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I think a boycott of games makes sense. But I think you need to also need to follow that up with some PR. Maybe write a press release about the boycott, and try to get some coverage from any friends you guys have in the local media.

bangersandmash
07-30-2008, 09:58 PM
have they tried getting the players involved? One has to admit that what goes on in the south end happens because the players are on record as loving it. If Dichio came out and said "streamers suck, tifos are for school girls and for god's sake, I wish people would sit down!" the atmosphere at BMO would be different. Getting a key player or two to go on record about the whole thing could make things better. MLS has a real problem drawing and keeping top talent. If the talent started using this as an excuse to leave...

werewolf
07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
forget a silent protest, if the numbers are diminishing and people getting kicked out, it won't be so noticeable. Instead, cheer for the other team, and I am not saying that just cause we play their soon :p

Cashcleaner
07-30-2008, 11:18 PM
The league and many individual clubs are much too frightened of possible litigation against them in case someone hurts themselves or causes any damage to really get behind their supporters and create the atmosphere many of us would like to see all across MLS. I'm all for putting safety-first, but the problem is of over-cautiousness, in my opinion. There's really no reasonable excuse to not emulate the sort of crowds we see overseas.

As for action that the fans could possibly take to change things around, staying home for a few games might helps matters. I'd say its more effective to be vocal and bitch and complain to whoever will listen, however. The bottom line is that most supporter groups in South America, Asia, and Europe are given the respect they deserve because they just won't lie over and take whatever the club or league gives them. I do think we get quite a lot of what we ask here in Toronto, but the key is to remain vigilant about these and other matters.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Wow, simply unbelievable. This kind of attitude from an F/O will only lead to a club's demise. It goes without saying that the supporters are necessary for long-term stability; soccer moms and little tykes won't pay the bills.

If I were a Rapids' supporter, I would take werewolf's advice and cheer for the other team. That would make for some embarrassing TV displays at the Dick.

james
07-31-2008, 01:47 AM
The way some MLS teams run shit is jsut rediculous. Some teams completely want to have supporter groups and really try work with the supporting groups. Then you see shit like this and they wonder why they can only get half full stadiums.....no atmosphere just soccer moms!

Jack
07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
It's very hypocritical of MLS to praise and embrace the supporters and the commish to crow about the support and atmosphere in Toronto and then turn a blind eye to what's happening in Colorado.

They need to go right past their FO and pressure the league on this.

deltox
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
can you imagine if we wanted to protest something....we all come into the stadium and cheer and chant....... then as soon as the kick off starts...we all drop silent and start walking out.

that would be SICK

ElvistheEvilScotsman
07-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Brutal. Not that I am a fan of the NFL but you would think that the party atmosphere NFL has endorsed league wide would be a good example of how they created a religion around a sporting event. You would think Garber would be jumping in on the matter as im sure he wants die hard fans who buy seasons tickets and sell the sizzle of the sport on TV through enthusiasitc fan support.

I highly doubt the Broncos front office enforces a communist behaviour set on their home fans.

TFC Tifoso
07-31-2008, 10:16 AM
can you imagine if we wanted to protest something....we all come into the stadium and cheer and chant....... then as soon as the kick off starts...we all drop silent and start walking out.

that would be SICK

No, the more likely scenario would be people would be on board for a little, but closer to the day would back out and say, "but I want to party, man!"

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 11:56 AM

that would be SICK

We couldn't even get people to sit down and be silent at the fucking All Star Game....what makes you think we'll actually be able to get people to walk out?

Roogsy
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
That's why control of a section is so important.

If the Red Patch Boys controlled their own section and decided as a group to leave 112...well it would be noticeable and therefore more impactful.

Right now...it would just look like individual or pockets of the stadium with empty seats.

blackandwhite
07-31-2008, 12:18 PM

If the Red Patch Boys controlled their own section and decided as a group to leave 112...well it would be noticeable and therefore more impactful.

Right now...it would just look like individual or pockets of the stadium with empty seats.

Cuz this worked wonders at the all star game when Flush was telling everyone to leave at the 80th min.. Instead of what you wish would happen we had the TPS taking some RPBs out by the throat..

Roogsy
07-31-2008, 12:23 PM
I am talking theoretical Deniz. You can tell that by actually READING the post and noticing that I said if we "controlled" the section. Right now...we don't have that do we?

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
We couldn't even get people to sit down and be silent at the fucking All Star Game....what makes you think we'll actually be able to get people to walk out?
yeah i watching the game on tv up north and told my dad what was going to go down and nothing no black shirt , no banner the protest suck. everyone just wear there tfc shirt it was all fuck up

blackandwhite
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I am talking theoretical Deniz. You can tell that by actually READING the post and noticing that I said if we "controlled" the section. Right now...we don't have that do we?

What you have is individuals who think they belong to groups.. There is no group.

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 12:33 PM

that would be SICK
yeah it would be but we would find a way to fuck it all up and no one would do anything just like there was going to be a protest at the all-star game and that got fucked up.

so I'm going to be taking a month off from all mls games stay home and watch EPL maybe no tfc player banners and when i come back next month for the columbus crew @ bmo. All banner will be put up sider down if tfc has not got a spot in the playoff.

tfc has show me that they want my supporter or next season no player banners for april and may

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 12:34 PM

RPB has 'control' of the bottom of 112 right? (for the most part)

So why was that the biggest problem was the front of 112 was not sitting down?

Phil
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
RPB has 'control' of the bottom of 112 right? (for the most part)

So why was that the biggest problem was the front of 112 was not sitting down?

A lot of people sold thier ticket for that game. I don't really think that we need reminding of how strange a night it was overall.

Some dude was wearing a Leaf jersey in the front row too :D

fetajr
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
MLSE must be loving this; at last there is a pro sports team with ownership worse than them!

blackandwhite
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
A lot of people sold thier ticket for that game. I don't really think that we need reminding of how strange a night it was overall.

Some dude was wearing a Leaf jersey in the front row too :D

oh ok you dont wanna talk about it.. good..

the reason SSJ was wearing white was to protest the "big 3" groups' leaders who accepted free tickets to all star party which was the day after our worst result in our history and the day before the biggest protest against the FO was supposed to happen...are we done with the leafs jersey now?

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
MLSE must be loving this; at last there is a pro sports team with ownership worse than them!
no one is as bad as mlse they suck i would like to have any mls team own over mlse any day .

note: all rpb why is it that the colorado supporter pull off a great protest and we can't do we suck that bad.

Oldtimer
07-31-2008, 12:54 PM
I heard an interview with one of their supporters on "Around the League in 90 minutes." He said that their supporters will be meeting and are actually considering calling it quits.

werewolf
07-31-2008, 12:57 PM

the reason SSJ was wearing white was to protest the "big 3" groups' leaders who accepted free tickets to all star party which was the day after our worst result in our history and the day before the biggest protest against the FO was supposed to happen...are we done with the leafs jersey now?

You should have combined the two protests and worn....drum roll....black and white!!!

blackandwhite
07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/ml75td.jpg

the only people sitting in 112 were my boys 2/3 up the section...

Who cares if RPB or any other group controls a section.. You still had prominent RPBs going against Jack. You don't need control of the section you need proper supporters..

Phil
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM

I was just kidding with you Deniz! Easy trigger :D

blackandwhite
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
I was just kidding with you Deniz! Easy trigger :D

Sorry I thought you were Roogsy for a second!!! hahah :)

Troll
07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
no one is as bad as mlse they suck i would like to have any mls team own over mlse any day .

note: all rpb why is it that the colorado supporter pull off a great protest and we can't do we suck that bad.

You're a fucking moron if you'd rather have any other ownership group over MLSE. Are MLSE angels? Fuck no, put they do put in some effort with the fans. It's impossible to accomodate everybody, but fuck, atleast they put in some effort. If you read the original post the Colorado FO isn't putting ANY effort in. Ask the Rev's supporters what they think of their FO.... until recently they watched away supporters walk in with flags, banners, etc, while they weren't permitted any of these.

As for Colorodo's 'great protest'. It's easier to organize a 'mass walk-out' when there's 17 of you.

Technorgasm
07-31-2008, 01:12 PM
[quote=blackandwhite;115251]http://i37.tinypic.com/ml75td.jpg

[quote]

Are we supposed to be looking at Connie's butt?

Cuz. . . it looks good.

or BritChat's Gross-ass Hat?

If not . . oh well, carry on.

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM

Who cares if RPB or any other group controls a section.. You still had prominent RPBs going against Jack. You don't need control of the section you need proper supporters..

All respect Deniz, but this picture is a bad example of what you are talking about. This was at the very beginning of the game right after the anthems. Even I was standing up, as I had to hold up me an' Shaughno's banner. I returned from 114 late in the first half and began sitting down.

But I do agree with you. If we can't achieve this we'll have a hard time doing anything else.

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 02:42 PM
You're a fucking moron if you'd rather have any other ownership group over MLSE. Are MLSE angels? Fuck no, put they do put in some effort with the fans. It's impossible to accomodate everybody, but fuck, atleast they put in some effort. If you read the original post the Colorado FO isn't putting ANY effort in. Ask the Rev's supporters what they think of their FO.... until recently they watched away supporters walk in with flags, banners, etc, while they weren't permitted any of these.

As for Colorodo's 'great protest'. It's easier to organize a 'mass walk-out' when there's 17 of you.
ok if it's so easy then at the next game try to get everyone to walk out at the 29th min & come back after the haft time and i think there have more then 17 supporter.

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 02:48 PM

that did not even make on tv all i seen was a lot of red shirt

RPB_Brantford_08
07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
they should charge anyone with pyrotechnics in the stadium...all MLS stadiums with life time bans, they are not needed or wanted. even the regular crrw hired by TFC in the south end show go, their act is wearing thin, its mickey mouse stuff.

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
they should charge anyone with pyrotechnics in the stadium...all MLS stadiums with life time bans, they are not needed or wanted. even the regular crrw hired by TFC in the south end show go, their act is wearing thin, its mickey mouse stuff.

*hangs head*

blackandwhite
07-31-2008, 06:17 PM

thanks for representing the official RPB view :)

alexintoronto
07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
You say that and this is your avatar?

http://64.13.252.151/forums/image.php?u=1457&dateline=1217029760

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
thanks for representing the official RPB view :)

disgraceful isn't it?

Thankfully he doesn't speak for the group.

blackandwhite
07-31-2008, 06:21 PM
disgraceful isn't it?

No comment :)

Bluenose13
07-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Speak for yourself.........Nothing better than a good smoke show.....We need to work with the FO to let us have smoke in a controlled manner.

AL-MO

Are you mighty_torontofc in disguise?

TheHollister
Thankfully he doesn't speak for the group.

QFT!

I love pyrotechnics...

Kevvv
07-31-2008, 06:24 PM
ok if it's so easy then at the next game try to get everyone to walk out at the 29th min & come back after the haft time and i think there have more then 17 supporter.

Fuck that, for the next game I'll get half the stadium to walk out at the 41st minute, and trickle back five minutes into the second.

Bluenose13
07-31-2008, 06:27 PM
BTW.....I can't find any RPB's in the picture above that are not wearing black:noidea:

I realise the sitting thing didn't go to plan but at least RPB's were wearing black.

(Well except my dad, he had a west Ham shirt on :p)

alexintoronto
07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
LEAF JERSEY!

:hide:

Bluenose13
07-31-2008, 06:31 PM
LEAF JERSEY!

:hide:Not a RPB :p (Although isn't SSJ a sub group of RPB ?)

Fiin
07-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Does every tpoic need to degenerate to us attacking each other? Jesus..
Its just another supporter group asking for help.. which we should help them... and maybe remember we are all here for the same reason...

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Does every tpoic need to degenerate to us attacking each other? Jesus..
Its just another supporter group asking for help.. which we should help them... and maybe remember we are all here for the same reason...

No, but when someone makes a ridiculous post like brantford did they MUST be called out for it. Posts like that make us look sooooo Mickey Mouse.

Fiin
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
No, but when someone makes a ridiculous post like brantford did they MUST be called out for it. Posts like that make us look sooooo Mickey Mouse.

Oh I agree, just talking about the thread in general. It went from Colorado asking for help, people calling each other morons.. to the great pyro deabte lol

FluSH
07-31-2008, 06:43 PM

What?!

Dude,

They should do away with the hired TFC crew that currently does the smoke, and leave it to us with full section control. That way noone will complain and if they do... other sections will gladly take them! Plus we don't have to fight idiots (non-supporters) who throw crap at other supporters or like to intice fights.

Cambridge_Red
07-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Oh I agree, just talking about the thread in general. It went from Colorado asking for help, people calling each other morons.. to the great pyro deabte lol

I got lost on this one also. I feel bad for the supporters in Colorado they dont deserve to be treated like that. I think the league needs to decide who's back they have..

MrHawk
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
I think MLS is trying to follow in the footsteps of MLB and now what the NFL is doing.

Gearing towards a more "family" lifestyle.

The family deal. 4 Tickets, 4 drinks, 4 hot dogs, 4 souvenirs for $XX dollars. I really don't see the MLS trying to make this into a Euro type league.

MrHawk
07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
MLSE and the owners of every other group is going to side with one core group.

Who brings money to the stadium and the team.

greatwhitenorf
07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Colorado doesn't want rowdy fans? WHAT A SHOCK!! How could ANY of you purported soccer experts be remotely surprised?

This is a team, in a very conservative part of America, officially affilated with a club who have the most boring and dowdy and smug set of supporters on the planet - Ar5ena1.

You reap what you sow and those fans should have seen this coming a mile away. This situation is never going to change and we're not about to have the slightest influence on it. MOVE ON!!

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Fuck that, for the next game I'll get half the stadium to walk out at the 41st minute, and trickle back five minutes into the second.
10 mins in to the second haft would be better Hell everyone goes out for a drink or a smoke at haft time anyways

greatwhitenorf
07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Oh, you are a bit special, aintcha, NASCAR?

Kevvv is describing exactly what happens naturally on most of the west side and the cente of the east side every game.

ag futbol
07-31-2008, 10:00 PM
I think MLS is trying to follow in the footsteps of MLB and now what the NFL is doing.

Gearing towards a more "family" lifestyle.

The family deal. 4 Tickets, 4 drinks, 4 hot dogs, 4 souvenirs for $XX dollars. I really don't see the MLS trying to make this into a Euro type league.
Not to be overly critical but last time i sat at a Bills games around the hordes of drunk/high/gambling populace, there wasn't too much about the situation that said "family" to me. Plenty of NFL stadiums seem to repeat that from what i hear as well.

The best way to market to families is to ignore them. They'll follow everyone else when it becomes trendy. Otherwise all you are going to get is a bunch of cheap, price sensitive, disloyal customers who will get up and leave as soon as they get bored.

Flipityflu
07-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Are you mighty_torontofc in disguise?

yes it is

ExiledRed
07-31-2008, 10:16 PM
What?!

They should do away with the hired TFC crew that currently does the smoke, and leave it to us with full section control. That way noone will complain .

Controlling the section won't lead to permission to use pyro. MLSE has fuckall to do with it either.

The City owns the stadium. If you hurt yourself in BMO, the city may be liable.

Factor in things like Liability, insurance, fire risk, public safety, public health, the well-being of city employees etc....etc....

Now go and present your case to the city, tell them that you want to light handheld pyrotechnics, en masse in their stadium, while being served alcohol, jumping up and down, metres away from a flammable plastic pitch and then tell them it's OK because were all in a group and everybody has agreed that if they get hurt they wont sue BMO Field.

you know what they'd say already dont you?

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I have alot of banner space on west side from sec 119 to 121. There will be no banners up for the next 3 home game. I have sold my tickets to the next 3 home game

Oh, you are a bit special, aintcha, NASCAR?

Kevvv is describing exactly what happens naturally on most of the west side and the cente of the east side every game.

FluSH
07-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Controlling the section won't lead to permission to use pyro. MLSE has fuckall to do with it either.

Factor in things like Liability, insurance, fire risk, public safety, public health, the well-being of city employees etc....etc....

Now go and present your case to the city, tell them that you want to light handheld pyrotechnics, en masse in their stadium, while being served alcohol, jumping up and down, metres away from a flammable plastic pitch and then tell them it's OK because were all in a group and everybody has agreed that if they get hurt they wont sue BMO Field.

I agree with the liability, and insurance factor... however tons of people get "hurt" at sporting events one way or another... via slips, falls, player interaction (basketball players landing on people, baseballs hitting people) etc.

I do believe at the back of every ticket into a sporting event there is a disclaimer that attempts to prohibit fans of even thinking about suing. Nevertheless, that is what stadium insurance is there for... =P

FluSH
07-31-2008, 10:33 PM
...but since we are talking about suing:

In 1998, former Toronto outfielder Rob Ducey received a reported $700,000 out-of-court settlement with SkyDome and the Blue Jays.
Ducey, a native of Cambridge, Ont., had claimed in a lawsuit his baseball career had been derailed after injuring his knee in 1989 when he ran through a dislodged piece of fence and landed on concrete

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/04/12/skydome010412.html (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/04/12/skydome010412.html)

Any chance for grass now? I mean O'Brien's career ain't looking good :D

Cashcleaner
07-31-2008, 10:53 PM

Exactly! And no amount of saying "but it will look cool!" is gonna change things with that regard.

I don't know why people want to dwell on issues that we can't change like pyros and instead work on the things we can. As far as we know, banners, flags, and all that good stuff is completely okay with the stadium so why not just concentrate on perfecting all those instead of the things we'll never be allowed to attempt?

FluSH
07-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Exactly! And no amount of saying "but it will look cool!" is gonna change things with that regard.

I don't know why people want to dwell on issues that we can't change like pyros and instead work on the things we can. As far as we know, banners, flags, and all that good stuff is completely okay with the stadium so why not just concentrate on perfecting all those instead of the things we'll never be allowed to attempt?

The thing is that...

Smoke Bombs are being done (maybe via the FO turning a blind eye) in the lawsuit nation of the world... The U.S.A.

greatwhitenorf
07-31-2008, 11:18 PM
That's the country that had those Colombine school shootings and planes flying into office towers and military headquarters, isn't it?

Can't imagine why they'd want to impose some control at a public sporting event.

Wish Canadians didn't have such a swollen sense of moral superiority.

alexintoronto
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM

BUT IT WILL LOOK COOL!!

KdotOdot
08-01-2008, 07:01 AM
That's the country that had those Colombine school shootings and planes flying into office towers and military headquarters, isn't it?

Can't imagine why they'd want to impose some control at a public sporting event.

Wish Canadians didn't have such a swollen sense of moral superiority.

Instead of embracing their freedom they're restricting it. Your logic is fucked.

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2008, 01:08 PM

logic alert. I'm with ya, Cash.

Gobi
08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
FYI...

Section 8 Chicago would cordially like to invite you to a meeting tonight to discuss some recent problems that have happened at the stadium. During our last home game, security guards were witnessed taunting the fans in Section 8 and attempting to bait them into a fight. Some of the tactics used to attack these people included calling them "spics" and "wetbacks", something we consider totally unacceptable and unconscionable, especially when coming from representatives of both Toyota Park and the Chicago Fire.

Angelo1405
08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Interesting article on Section 8's obvious, organized pyro work in Chicago...

http://www.section8chicago.com/jm3/component/option,com_myblog/show,Organized-Pyro-in-Chicago-.html/Itemid,96/

[quote]
Organized Pyro in Chicago? (http://www.section8chicago.com/jm3/component/option,com_myblog/show,Organized-Pyro-in-Chicago-.html/Itemid,96/)

Posted by: Marty Groark (http://www.section8chicago.com/jm3/component/option,com_myblog/blogger,Marty/Itemid,96/) in Untagged on Jul 11, 2008

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/2659005242_14088fcec5.jpg?v=0 (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/2659005242_14088fcec5.jpg?v=0) The game is about to start. Flares are lit in front of the Harlem End and the stadium begins to look like a smoldering volcano awakening from a long nap. Smoke bellows of out Section 8 and surrounds Toyota Park in an almost dream like haze. The lineups are announced and more flares are lit while huge flags begin waving from all corners of the stadium. The visiting players make their way to the field and are taken back by how intimidating the atmosphere around them is. Scenes like these invoke images of games with teams like Fenerbanche in Turkey or AS Roma in Italy. Soon, with some help, this experience will come to life in the stands at Toyota Park as the Independent Supporters Association (ISA), on behalf of Section 8; have begun the long process though the legal maze to allow for a safe, organized, handheld flare display. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2109778537_590b9d556c.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2109778537_590b9d556c.jpg)
Illegal flares and smoke clouds are not entirely foreign to Section 8. In its first two years at Toyota Park, and in its years at Soldier Field, many contraband objects have made their way into Section 8's depths. This includes both illegal flares and smoke devices, but doing so carries the risk of severe punishment. That is why the cumulative force of Section 8, the Section 8 Chicago ISA, has been working since Toyota Park's inception to coordinate displays using both marine safety flares and smoke machines to produce an intimidating atmosphere and keep Chicago at the top echelon of fans in North America. In order to do a show like this the ISA must come to an agreement with the Fire front office and also meet many requirements set forth by both the city of Bridgeview and the State of Illinois. Both require that those undertaking the display be licensed and insured, and doing so has proven to be a complicated endeavor.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2109778729_483fa0d66c.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2109778729_483fa0d66c.jpg)
Michael Giacometti, a Fire fan working with the pyrotechnic logistics on behalf of the ISA says he hopes to soon be "creating an atmosphere unparalleled in the league, but in a way that is at the same time respectful to the authorities that dictate stadium policy, and local, state, [and] federal governing bodies." He alludes to the fact that although the Section is really excited in creating a unique experience, there is a lot of legal red tape to get through in order to make this happen. Insurance has proven to be one of the most difficult requirements as Section 8 and the ISA are self-funded entities; dependent wholly on supporter's donations and merchandise sales, and the insurance needed for a pyrotechnics show would put undue strain on its budget. In addition to insurance, the state requires pyrotechnics licenses' for all operators of the show and the city of Bridgeview requires its own licenses as well. Despite this the ISA have begun the process of attempting to jump through all the legal hoops and emerge with something that would be the envy of the league while also completely lawful.
According to Liam Murtaugh, ISA Director of Operations, his hope for the ISA is to soon have a display made of "red and white handheld marine signal safety flares. They have a very high candlepower and create great effect." He does admit, though, that it is difficult getting the Fire front office to understand "if a device is safe to be held in a rubber boat stranded in the ocean without fear of it melting your craft, it's safe to be held on concrete a reasonable distance from masses of people." In fact, safety seems to be the number one priority to those undertaking this endeavor, and they have put time into finding out the safest ways to do a display. "In terms of safety we are looking at Norwegian and Swedish groups who have similar pyrotechnic laws to the U.S. but still find a way to allow for safe, fan led displays," Murtaugh said.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2109775813_f5f32f3d6f.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2109775813_f5f32f3d6f.jpg)
Despite the setbacks with insurance and licenses, the ISA and Section 8 is committed to bring a supporters led pyrotechnics show to Toyota Park. The attitude of the ISA is that the show is a plausible idea, it will just take time to get all the necessary steps in order and once that is complete, a display can be had. Ben Burton, Chairman of the ISA says "I don't think it's a huge challenge to meet all the requirements, as long as the village and team don't actively attempt to stop us."
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2376967057_a29b2053e9.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2376967057_a29b2053e9.jpg) Recently, the ISA has come to some compromise with the Front Office, and last year terms were laid out to allow Strictly FX, who does the pyrotechnics for the team itself, to implement a remote operated smoke machine near the capo stand in section 118. By working with Strictly FX, the team has allegedly located a red dye which can be used to tint the smoke for Section 8's use, and the ISA has already added a second smoke machine to section 117. This is a start, but the ISA has much bigger plans for the future and are going to take each step necessary to achieve their ultimate goal. Flares and flags joined together to further enhance the greatest atmosphere in North American soccer.
-- M. Groark (martygroark[at]gmail.com)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2031/2109742943_af19bb3a74.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2031/2109742943_af19bb3a74.jpg)

Angelo1405
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM

http://www.section8chicago.com/jm3/component/option,com_myblog/show,Organized-Pyro-in-Chicago-.html/Itemid,96/

Organized Pyro in Chicago? (http://www.section8chicago.com/jm3/component/option,com_myblog/show,Organized-Pyro-in-Chicago-.html/Itemid,96/)

Posted by: Marty Groark (http://www.section8chicago.com/jm3/component/option,com_myblog/blogger,Marty/Itemid,96/) in Untagged on Jul 11, 2008

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/2659005242_14088fcec5.jpg?v=0 (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/2659005242_14088fcec5.jpg?v=0) The game is about to start. Flares are lit in front of the Harlem End and the stadium begins to look like a smoldering volcano awakening from a long nap. Smoke bellows of out Section 8 and surrounds Toyota Park in an almost dream like haze. The lineups are announced and more flares are lit while huge flags begin waving from all corners of the stadium. The visiting players make their way to the field and are taken back by how intimidating the atmosphere around them is. Scenes like these invoke images of games with teams like Fenerbanche in Turkey or AS Roma in Italy. Soon, with some help, this experience will come to life in the stands at Toyota Park as the Independent Supporters Association (ISA), on behalf of Section 8; have begun the long process though the legal maze to allow for a safe, organized, handheld flare display. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2109778537_590b9d556c.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2109778537_590b9d556c.jpg)
Illegal flares and smoke clouds are not entirely foreign to Section 8. In its first two years at Toyota Park, and in its years at Soldier Field, many contraband objects have made their way into Section 8's depths. This includes both illegal flares and smoke devices, but doing so carries the risk of severe punishment. That is why the cumulative force of Section 8, the Section 8 Chicago ISA, has been working since Toyota Park's inception to coordinate displays using both marine safety flares and smoke machines to produce an intimidating atmosphere and keep Chicago at the top echelon of fans in North America. In order to do a show like this the ISA must come to an agreement with the Fire front office and also meet many requirements set forth by both the city of Bridgeview and the State of Illinois. Both require that those undertaking the display be licensed and insured, and doing so has proven to be a complicated endeavor.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2109778729_483fa0d66c.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2109778729_483fa0d66c.jpg)
Michael Giacometti, a Fire fan working with the pyrotechnic logistics on behalf of the ISA says he hopes to soon be "creating an atmosphere unparalleled in the league, but in a way that is at the same time respectful to the authorities that dictate stadium policy, and local, state, [and] federal governing bodies." He alludes to the fact that although the Section is really excited in creating a unique experience, there is a lot of legal red tape to get through in order to make this happen. Insurance has proven to be one of the most difficult requirements as Section 8 and the ISA are self-funded entities; dependent wholly on supporter's donations and merchandise sales, and the insurance needed for a pyrotechnics show would put undue strain on its budget. In addition to insurance, the state requires pyrotechnics licenses' for all operators of the show and the city of Bridgeview requires its own licenses as well. Despite this the ISA have begun the process of attempting to jump through all the legal hoops and emerge with something that would be the envy of the league while also completely lawful.
According to Liam Murtaugh, ISA Director of Operations, his hope for the ISA is to soon have a display made of "red and white handheld marine signal safety flares. They have a very high candlepower and create great effect." He does admit, though, that it is difficult getting the Fire front office to understand "if a device is safe to be held in a rubber boat stranded in the ocean without fear of it melting your craft, it's safe to be held on concrete a reasonable distance from masses of people." In fact, safety seems to be the number one priority to those undertaking this endeavor, and they have put time into finding out the safest ways to do a display. "In terms of safety we are looking at Norwegian and Swedish groups who have similar pyrotechnic laws to the U.S. but still find a way to allow for safe, fan led displays," Murtaugh said.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2109775813_f5f32f3d6f.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2109775813_f5f32f3d6f.jpg)
Despite the setbacks with insurance and licenses, the ISA and Section 8 is committed to bring a supporters led pyrotechnics show to Toyota Park. The attitude of the ISA is that the show is a plausible idea, it will just take time to get all the necessary steps in order and once that is complete, a display can be had. Ben Burton, Chairman of the ISA says "I don't think it's a huge challenge to meet all the requirements, as long as the village and team don't actively attempt to stop us."
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2376967057_a29b2053e9.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2376967057_a29b2053e9.jpg) Recently, the ISA has come to some compromise with the Front Office, and last year terms were laid out to allow Strictly FX, who does the pyrotechnics for the team itself, to implement a remote operated smoke machine near the capo stand in section 118. By working with Strictly FX, the team has allegedly located a red dye which can be used to tint the smoke for Section 8's use, and the ISA has already added a second smoke machine to section 117. This is a start, but the ISA has much bigger plans for the future and are going to take each step necessary to achieve their ultimate goal. Flares and flags joined together to further enhance the greatest atmosphere in North American soccer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2031/2109742943_af19bb3a74.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2031/2109742943_af19bb3a74.jpg)

every stadium in the MLS bans pyro, some club's fans just know how to get around it and it immediatly boosts their atmosphere...

GabrielHurl
08-06-2008, 11:20 AM
every stadium in the MLS bans pyro, some club's fans just know how to get around it and it immediatly boosts their atmosphere...

pity it doesn't help them win

adampz
08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
pity it doesn't help them win BUT IT LOOKS COOL!

GabrielHurl
08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
BUT IT LOOKS COOL!

A cool looking stadium or a winning team?

Nerepis
08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
FYI...

Quote:
Section 8 Chicago would cordially like to invite you to a meeting tonight to discuss some recent problems that have happened at the stadium. During our last home game, security guards were witnessed taunting the fans in Section 8 and attempting to bait them into a fight. Some of the tactics used to attack these people included calling them "spics" and "wetbacks", something we consider totally unacceptable and unconscionable, especially when coming from representatives of both Toyota Park and the Chicago Fire.

Sounds to me like the MLS has something a little more serious to investigate then Adrian Serioux giving a few fans the finger.

Captain Croatia
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM

[quote]

ooo Pyro!:taz:

Dammit i want this in our house.