PDA

View Full Version : Will Barrett and Dickov be enough?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Cant say i think so.
Please bring in some more strikers (at least one more) and rid of Cunny already.
Couldnt hurt to get one more CB

Smenge
07-30-2008, 04:57 PM
I am hoping for more than dickov, i am just not sold on a 35 year old tier two striker.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I am hoping for more than dickov, i am just not sold on a 35 year old tier two striker.

You and me both.
Got faith in Mo but cant say im not jealous of these other teams grabbing new players (even San Jose has me worried).

Pigfynn
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
How about hoping we get Dickov?

Pigfynn
07-30-2008, 05:00 PM
...and what if Dichio's not done for the season? that would help

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Forgot about Dichio.
Yep, he'd be nice to be back.
Still, kinda want some Umph in there.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't really want Dickov. I want to start building towards something rather than our future assistant coaching positions. Younger with talent would be better to build towards a championship. Ali Gerba, George Welcome, O'Brian White, Marcus Tracy...this is where I'd like to turn around our fortunes. A DP would be nice as well.

Captain Croatia
07-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Anyone who can put a ball in the net will be fine for now. I dont care how old he is, just as long as he can finish.

Super
07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Let time be the judge of whether or not Barrett and Dickov will be enough. It's the MLS, and look at how well Dichio has done here compared to the Championship even.

Let's be optimistic!

Derko
07-30-2008, 05:43 PM

And where will we get a so called Tier 1 Striker at half that age, MLS is Championship Quality all round, I don't get how people try to compare our TFC and MLS to Premiership,Serie A and Ligue 1. It is just wrong, be realistic, yes 35 is a bit old I agree.

Derko
07-30-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't really want Dickov. I want to start building towards something rather than our future assistant coaching positions. Younger with talent would be better to build towards a championship. Ali Gerba, George Welcome, O'Brian White, Marcus Tracy...this is where I'd like to turn around our fortunes. A DP would be nice as well.

Agreed but isn't that where the draft comes into play, developing young players, you still have to field a competitive team, just for the sake of the game and supporters.

trane
07-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I am not sure about Dickov, because he seems to be more of a play maker rather then scorer, ceartainly most would agree we need a scorer.

ChrisLav
07-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Cant say i think so.
Please bring in some more strikers (at least one more) and rid of Cunny already.
Couldnt hurt to get one more CB

Barrett replaces Tebily on the Senior 18 roster, as Dickov would replace Dunivant (as a season ending injury). In theory a 3rd striker could replace Cunningham/Dichio if his concussion is bad enough., don't know who you would drop to get the CB though.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Is Dichio out for the season....it is a concussion

AL-MO
07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
I would say NO. But I'll let them prove me wrong. Bringing in a washed up british player, and an so-so american player doesn't look like the answer to me...maybe a stop gap measure.

Bluenose13
07-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I would say NO. But I'll let them prove me wrong. Bringing in a washed up british player, and an so-so american player doesn't look like the answer to me...maybe a stop gap measure.Wow.....In no way shape or form is Dickov a washed up british player, this guy will be as good as any striker in this league & is still wanted by teams in England, you obviously didn't watch him play at all last year......This guy still has lots to offer & is much better than Danny Dichio & I love the big man.

AL-MO
07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Blue I am looking for TFC to bring in top level Players....not a 35 year old guy who can't cut it in the top level anymore. This attitude of 'this player will be good enough' has to go. Guys in my office laugh at this team and the players fans go 'wild' about.

Bluenose13
07-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah.....But reality is players in Europe that can still play in there top leagues laugh at the MLS, we need to understand that we are a tier 2 league with tier 2 players & Dickov is a major step up from what we have & is as good as we are going to get.........For now anyway.

AL-MO
07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah.....But reality is players in Europe that can still play in there top leagues laugh at the MLS, we need to understand that we are a tier 2 league with tier 2 players & Dickov is a major step up from what we have & is as good as we are going to get.........For now anyway.

I can accept that. Just I am not planning a parade over my excitement to sign DiCKov...

Terry
07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Blue I am looking for TFC to bring in top level Players....not a 35 year old guy who can't cut it in the top level anymore. This attitude of 'this player will be good enough' has to go. Guys in my office laugh at this team and the players fans go 'wild' about.

We're not going to get a top level player, we're Toronto FC in the MLS.

Flipityflu
07-30-2008, 06:18 PM

thats fine a couple of years down the line, but what about now? we won't get a great dp on this turf, so we need the next best thing....a 35 year old striker who does score goals.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 06:30 PM
thats fine a couple of years down the line, but what about now? we won't get a great dp on this turf, so we need the next best thing....a 35 year old striker who does score goals.

But would you still want a 35 year old that scores a few goals and not make playoffs? I know its a predicting the future, but I don't think we will make playoffs by getting Dickov or if we do its out the first round. And the prevents going forward the next year as well. Dickov seems like a very short sighted solution, one that we may enjoy, but one that may hurt could hurt the team in terms of players acquisition (cap system) and player development (stagnant youth development for O'Brian White if we get him next year).

profit89
07-30-2008, 06:34 PM

For now.

I would say we're mid-bottom tier 2, bordering on top-tier 3.. ie, MLS is mid to bottom Serie B, going into top of table in Serie C1

jloome
07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
For now.

I would say we're mid-bottom tier 2, bordering on top-tier 3.. ie, MLS is mid to bottom Serie B, going into top of table in Serie C1

MLS is across the board weird. I'd say New England and DC could compete near the top of Serie B, everyone else would be mid-bottom. That would be equivalent to New England and DC being able to compete in the CCC, but allother teams either being League one or candidates for relegationto league one.

Derko
07-30-2008, 06:51 PM
For now.

My post further up totally agrees with the calibre of TFC and MLS, Championship to League 1 or Serie B. Dickov will do well and so will Barrett.

profit89
07-30-2008, 06:57 PM
For now.

btw, i should stress that this is fine by me... if MLS can become like a french ligue 1 that would be fine. i dont think it will ever become a serie a/epl.. it should instead aspire to be a good feeder league like french ligue 1, which is a great league itself. i would be more than happy with that.

rocker
07-30-2008, 06:58 PM
considering what the cap is, you guys would have to say it's quite a financial achievement tho eh?
I mean, CCC teams spend more than 2.2 million USD per year, right?

profit89
07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
considering what the cap is, you guys would have to say it's quite a financial achievement tho eh?
I mean, CCC teams spend more than 2.2 million USD per year, right?

ccc teams i read somewhere average 20 mil or something usd

Baggio2TFC
07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I feel this is a great step for TFC. I like that we addressed the issue of our strikers. I don't mind our "D" but the can improve. I find we still need a "man in the middle" kinda player, one who can control the play and feed our "new" strikers the ball. Pretty happy with this otherwise.

Baggio2TFC
07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I also think if our "cap" was around $8-$10 mil, this league would be better off, not to mention our beloved REDS!!

jloome
07-30-2008, 07:17 PM
I feel this is a great step for TFC. I like that we addressed the issue of our strikers. I don't mind our "D" but the can improve. I find we still need a "man in the middle" kinda player, one who can control the play and feed our "new" strikers the ball. Pretty happy with this otherwise.

Guevara's role. There's still a lot that needs to be done in terms of tactical movement, cohesiveness and just getting players to plain wake up.

Oldtimer
07-30-2008, 07:17 PM
I also think if our "cap" was around $8-$10 mil, this league would be better off, not to mention our beloved REDS!!

Not realistic to be that high, but there's no question that Carver would know some good players that could come in under that cap level.

Derko
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Agreed!!

Baggio2TFC
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I have been reading some threads on TFC news section that Dickov has been declined by Leichester and is on his was to Toronto!!! Lets get'r done MO. Lets imagine...Guavera to Barrett to Dickov......GOOOOAAALLLL!!!!!!

Smenge
07-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Altidore and Adu were not lighting up the mls when they left for tier one teams in Europe. It seems to me, MLS is much better than many give it credit for. When Greece won the Euro, it was comparable to TFC beating Liverpool in a four game series, and when Korea and Japan beat teams from Spain and Italy in the world cup..same thing.....in soccer, it is very hard to measure one league to another since there are so many excellent players, and the game is decided on the pitch, not in the worship and idolatry of the supporters.........andy welsh and samuel could not cut it here, the list goes on, and on....Dichio started well, but opposing teams learned how to defend against him....like what happened in England........Dickov may score, or he may not, but a 35 or 36 year old striker is simply too fucking old, regardless of where he played last season!

RealG-TFC
07-30-2008, 09:28 PM
^^ lol what about Baggio? Just not for pks.

Baggio2TFC
07-30-2008, 09:33 PM
^^ lol what about Baggio? Just not for pks.
Yeah, I'd like that, but at 44....may be just a little long in the tooth!;)