PDA

View Full Version : Barrett deal complete

B45
07-30-2008, 02:09 PM
July 30, 2008

TORONTO FC ACQUIRES CHAD BARRETT, 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK FROM CHICAGO FIRE

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that they have acquired forward Chad Barrett, a 2009 1st round MLS SuperDraft pick, and conditional future considerations for forward Brian McBride. Toronto used the top slot in the allocation ranking to acquire McBride.
"First, I would like to thank all parties involved in getting this done," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "The real winners in this deal are MLS, the Chicago Fire, Toronto FC, and Brian McBride. The Fire has brought back a wonderful striker and we're getting in return, a promising young striker - as well as a first round draft pick. It was important that we received the number one pick in this deal, and hopefully it will serve us well in the future."
Barrett, 23, joined the Chicago Fire in 2005 after forgoing the rest of his college career at UCLA to join Major League Soccer. The forward signed a generation adidas contract and was drafted 3rd overall in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft. In his first season with the Fire he appeared in 20 games, four as a starter and scored one goal, adding four assists in 520 minutes. Barrett's game has steadily improved with each season and in 2007 recorded seven goals and two assists helping the team progress to the MLS Eastern Conference finals.
Barrett has started 14 of 16 games so far this season for Chicago and has five goals and four assists. The former UCLA product scored two of those goals in a match at Giants Stadium on May 25 in a
5-1 rout over the New York Red Bulls.
The native of Oregon has also been a member of the U.S.
U-18, U-20 and U-23 National teams. Barrett played in all four of the U.S.'s U-20 matches at the FIFA World Youth Championship in Holland in 2005. At the tournament he scored the game winning goal against Argentina in their opening match. At the U-23 level he appeared in three games during CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying, starting in two of those matches.
Barrett will be present at Toronto FC's training session at
10:30 a.m. on Friday morning at BMO Field. :canada:

Jay P
07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
FFS about time!

deltox
07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
just got my SMS update!

kuku
07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Finally!

Kooper
How many first round picks do we have?

Damien
TFC Acquire F Chad Barrett, a 2009 First round pick, and conditional future considerations for F Brian McBride.

DigzTFC!
On the money Jloome. I thought Chicago was going to drag this out longer.

invictusTFC
Good... we're a little better off than we were yesterday!!!

Kevvv
07-30-2008, 02:15 PM
BFT!

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 02:16 PM
WOW! Where's our allocation money? Barrett, 2009 1st and a conditional pick? WTF

http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp?name=footy/#5481

and Tebily has asked for release

rocker
07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
the conditionals are probably in case Barrett doesn't re-sign with TFC.. his contract is up in the off season.

Smenge
07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I didn't see Dickov's name in that press release, you would think MO would have announced it, if it was on his lap....I still think Mo is holding out for another, more proven, and younger, striker than Dickov.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
we just raped Chicago!

Nuvinho
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
WOW! Where's our allocation money? Barrett, 2009 1st and a conditional pick? WTF

http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp?name=footy/#5481

and Tebily has asked for release

I know where is our money??

flatpicker
shame I won't be here to see his first game at BMO!
:(

thank God this is finally resolved though!!!

rocker
now let's just see McBride get hurt at the olympics... bwahahahah! I'm so mean....

Oldtimer
07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Toronto FC confirms McBride deal

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080730.wspttfc30/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

noochie
07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
FUCKING FINALLY! Welcome, Chad!

Monk
07-30-2008, 02:27 PM
And where can we confirm this since this fiasco has dragged on so damn long I keep seeing the deal is done without a reliable confirmation? (And as of now the tfc site doesn't have anything about it.)

-W.

Nuvinho
I have a feeling McBride will get hurt in the olympics......is De Rossi playing for Italy...he will elbow McBride in the nose again.....haha!!!

btw, where is our allocation money??

flatpicker
FUCKING FINALLY! Welcome, Chad!

and you better score some f#(%ing goals!!!

Wooster_TFC
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Can we change the post title to "Barrett Press Release" For a second here I thought we had released him.

Anyone know how we cleared up the roster spot?

Kooper
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I didn't see Dickov's name in that press release, you would think MO would have announced it, if it was on his lap....I still think Mo is holding out for another, more proven, and younger, striker than Dickov.

You don't announce players who have not yet signed the contract. It will make you look stupid when they do sign for the mighty Blackpool.

Kooper
07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
July 30, 2008

TORONTO FC ACQUIRES CHAD BARRETT, 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK FROM CHICAGO FIRE

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that they have acquired forward Chad Barrett, a 2009 1st round MLS SuperDraft pick, and conditional future considerations for forward Brian McBride.

Finally a toronto Manager who knows how to use the draft. The suits at the ACC could learn a thing or two from Trader Mo.

noochie
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
4 first rounders next year... Mo is a fucking genius, he could potentially grab 4 GA players in the draft next year... holy shit.

TFC_Junky
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
GOOD LORD IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!

now that it's official, let the bitching about him begin... :D

Kooper
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
4 first rounders next year... Mo is a fucking genius, he could potentially grab 4 GA players in the draft next year... holy shit.

Or trade them for someone else.

In Mo we trust!

Wooster_TFC
07-30-2008, 02:34 PM

I thought we only have 3 for next year?

1 we get normally, 1 from San Jose, and 1 from Chicago.

Stugatzo
07-30-2008, 02:36 PM

I dunno...23?? Sounds mighty young and inexperienced. Not sure how comfortable I am with some under 30 up front.

:rolleyes:

Nuvinho
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
We have 3 first round picks.

We will probably trade 2 picks or 1 pick and a player to move up and take O.White.

Monk
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
and you better score some f#(%ing goals!!!

Hey!! Cunningham scored 3!

Carts
07-30-2008, 02:44 PM
WELCOME!!!! Now put the damn ball in the net...!!! :D

Big piece of advice for Chad... If we're in need of a goal, after say the 90th minute, in the deciding game of a Championship series/round robin, and you have the ball 1-yard off the goalline - PUT IT IN...!!!

Do that, and you'll do just fine son... :D

Carts...

sully
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
and conditional future considerations for forward Brian McBride..

- so what does that mean? we can have him when he's 40?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Good stuff, now sign George Welcome MO!

McBrace
07-30-2008, 02:55 PM
And where can we confirm this since this fiasco has dragged on so damn long I keep seeing the deal is done without a reliable confirmation? (And as of now the tfc site doesn't have anything about it.)

-W.

Yes it does, look under the news section!

tlear
07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
and conditional future considerations for forward Brian McBride..

- so what does that mean? we can have him when he's 40?

Most likely that we get rights for him if Barret does not resign.. then we can make then pay even more? If true Mo basically robbed them blind.

Big Bruva
07-30-2008, 03:07 PM
lol Chad has the easiest path to being a fans favourite by scoring one or two goals coz of the lack of goals from TFC strikers lol

He seems like a go getter and expects the best from himself which is good

Roogsy
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
lol Chad has the easiest path to being a fans favourite but scoring one or two goals coz of the lack of goals from TFC strikers lol

He seems like a go getter and expects the best from himself which is good

He can easily win fans over by doing that quickly.

Fans here are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt I think.

McBrace
07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
He can easily win fans over by doing that quickly.

Fans here are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt I think.

I fear some are quick to point out the bad over the good! ( Due to our recent form) I for one am glad to see some changes and hope he has a great remainder of the season!

Chevy
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
just got my SMS update!

How do you sign up for the updates????

Big Bruva
07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I fear some are quick to point out the bad over the good! ( Due to our recent form) I for one am glad to see some changes and hope he has a great remainder of the season!

What this now means is that Mo knows what numbers he is playing with and knows what he can offer another striker etc

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm excited to have Barrett. He brings passion, pace and physical element we've never had in one striker. Cunny scored with his speed (his only asset), Dichio scored with his physical presence and tenacity....Chad is sort of a hybrid all in one striker. I think he'll do just fine but he won't set the world on fire. He'll have 10-12 goals by the end of the season

Roogsy
07-30-2008, 03:22 PM
7 goals for TFC?

I can live with that. In fact...after what we have been through...I'd be ecstatic.

RealG-TFC
07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm excited to have Barrett. He brings passion, pace and physical element we've never had in one striker. Cunny scored with his speed (his only asset), Dichio scored with his physical presence and tenacity....Chad is sort of a hybrid all in one striker. I think he'll do just fine but he won't set the world on fire. He'll have 10-12 goals by the end of the season

What about Ibee?

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
He'll play every game no question...I think 5 goals is achievable. But I get the feeling they will come in bunches.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
What about Ibee?

How many cards does he have for diving? I think he lacks the physical presence....just my opinion though

billyfly
07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Finally.

TicTacTabarnack
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
What about Ibee?

key words being: physical element ... Ibee needs to put on a few pounds so he doesn't get thrown 5 yards off the ball like on Monday night.

Ibee definitely has passion and pace though and i look forward to seeing him grow over time!

RealG-TFC
07-30-2008, 03:39 PM
^^ true.

bdrs
07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Welcome!!!

jloome
07-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Ibee will be huge, within a couple of seasons. At 19, he'll have 25 pounds of extra lean muscle on him thanks to Paul Winsper, and will be holding guys off the same way Altidore can. Hopefully, we can keep him for a while before the foreign clubs come in.

A key element to Barrett is his work-rate, because as his stats indicate, he has improved every year over the last three seasons. Keeping in mind that strikers don't usually peak until 27-28, we can expect some growing pains from him, as well, if we can keep him past this season. (His MLS deal expires this year).

But if he keeps at his current pace , he'll be good for 12-15 goals a season within a year or so, maybe another 4-7 this year. Beats the shit out of Cunningham.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Ibee will be huge, within a couple of seasons. At 19, he'll have 25 pounds of extra lean muscle on him thanks to Paul Winsper, and will be holding guys off the same way Altidore can. Hopefully, we can keep him for a while before the foreign clubs come in.

A key element to Barrett is his work-rate, because as his stats indicate, he has improved every year over the last three seasons. Keeping in mind that strikers don't usually peak until 27-28, we can expect some growing pains from him, as well, if we can keep him past this season. (His MLS deal expires this year).

But if he keeps at his current pace , he'll be good for 12-15 goals a season within a year or so, maybe another 4-7 this year. Beats the shit out of Cunningham.

I like that someone is with me on this one. And yes, if you didn't find it in the other thread, you were right about it getting done this week.;)

jloome
07-30-2008, 03:59 PM
I like that someone is with me on this one. And yes, if you didn't find it in the other thread, you were right about it getting done this week.;)

Heh heh, made sense, as we had him at the RSL game. It had to be last-minute stuff Chicago was holding up.

Dickov is another issue, but given that there have been stories in the local Leicester and Blackpool papers saying his agent has already told them he's coming to Toronto, I suspect this is just red tape as well, and maybe immigration tape at that. We'll see an announcement Friday, I'm guessing, although given the travel etc. it might not be in time for him to play.

He's been keeping fit with Man City during the off season though, so the guy definitley still has his manic drive. The more I think about our lack of heart right now and confidence, the more I think Dickov would be the ideal guy for a season or two; he scored six in 11 at the CCC level last year, so if we give him the chances he'll finish them. He just won't create them from nothing. And that's OK; I'd be quite happy if Dickov went the whole game without scoring but riled defenses enough and create enough space and movement for our other players to put two in.

And that's really key, becuase if you look at our record of not scoring lately, it's been as much an issue of team interplay and the quality of the chances as it has been having no one to finish them. Let's face it: the one sterling chance Ibee's been given, Guevara's through ball against Chicago, resulted in him calmly walking around the goalie and finishing.

Blixa
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Great news. Mo really fucked Klopass right in his ass.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Just out of curiosity....Dickov sounds like the player Barret should be modeling his game after. They seem to have the same skill set albeit Dickov is 10 times better, but how do you see the two working at the same time? Do you predict that our midfield production will go up with these guys in terms of goals? I can see our wingers starting to cut into the middle if these guys can hold of the defense long enough to lay it off.

Bobo
07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Too bad we couldn't have passed on the rights...

ChrisLav
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
The team could have passed on the rights... just that you're not assured of getting anything the rest of the season.

Detroit_TFC
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM

LOL

Fucking Barrett, how many goals has he scored for us so far today - zero. Useless waste of space.

:D

Actually, I'll wash his car for a year if he scores a winner for us in our next game.

kitchener-TFC
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Finally!

Northern Soul
07-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Finally!

'nuff said.

Smenge
07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Mo needs to re write Chad's contract. I think he is making only 60k per season, and that would explain his desire to leave Chicago. Shit, Rooney pays his granny masseur more for his weekly rub downs.....And Dickov is 10 times better? Sure, lets wait for him to play a few games before you start comparing the guy to pele.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
And Dickov is 10 times better? Sure, lets wait for him to play a few games before you start comparing the guy to pele.

ahh, I said he's 10 times better than Barrett even that doesn't equate to Pele. Barret was losing his starting striker position on Chicago, while Dickov was starting in 2nd teir english football and before that the premiership. Would you be more comfortable with 7-8 times better? He scored 6 goals in 11 games. Want to look at Barret strike ratio this year?

Anyways, no need for the venom over that point.

S_D
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
I think we got screwed in the deal but at least it is over and done with and we can move on. I hope Chad proves me wrong!

Lets hope to see some more signings, and a soon to be announced trade or outright release (cunny)

Derko
07-30-2008, 05:38 PM
What about Ibee?

All of those qualities but only 16 years old man, don't you see the way Ibee gets mauled up front, if he gets hurt that will ruin him, at least Barrett has a few years in MLS.

jloome
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Just out of curiosity....Dickov sounds like the player Barret should be modeling his game after. They seem to have the same skill set albeit Dickov is 10 times better, but how do you see the two working at the same time? Do you predict that our midfield production will go up with these guys in terms of goals? I can see our wingers starting to cut into the middle if these guys can hold of the defense long enough to lay it off.

Hopefully, Dickov's movement off the ball and ability to draw defenders away from the centre is one thing he picks up, because that allows the partner in the strike parternship (or even an aggressive midfielder) good space to createa chance.

He'll be a better finisher, too, even though goal scoring has never been his big thing. Dickov can finish,, but he doesn't create from scratch because he doesn't have the foot skills. So in a league like thepremiership where it's essnetial for a striker to be able to create his own space and some of his own chances, he struggled. But in MLS, where the idea is to get decent service to the most open guy near the offensive box, he could do very well.

A lot will depend on fitness. But Blackpool would be the best judge of that, given that he finished last season there, and they really want him. Additionally, the fact that they offered a coaching role along with it addresses how much of a positive influence he can be on other players.

Derko
07-30-2008, 06:57 PM
He is quite liked and respected in Blackpool.
I will enjoy him playing at TFC, when the deal is done!!

Derko
07-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I think we got screwed in the deal but at least it is over and done with and we can move on. I hope Chad proves me wrong!

Lets hope to see some more signings, and a soon to be announced trade or outright release (cunny)

Optimism is one of your strenghts, is it. lol

S_D
07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
lol...Actually it is. See most of my in-game/post game posts and you can see I have tried to find a silver lining. I even held out hope for Cunny (but I saw the light after Montreal lol)

I watched Barrett play for 6 or 7 games and he just didn't play well at all. And if you look for some of my Barrett posts, I showed the stats where he has a worse strike rate than Cunningham.

Chicago was using a 4-5-1 so I am HOPING that Chicago was mis-using him and he needs to play in a formation with 2 forwards with him being the set up man.

And as I stated before, I hope Barrett proves me wrong.

Derko
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
lol...Actually it is. See most of my in-game/post game posts and you can see I have tried to find a silver lining. I even held out hope for Cunny (but I saw the light after Montreal lol)

I watched Barrett play for 6 or 7 games and he just didn't play well at all. And if you look for some of my Barrett posts, I showed the stats where he has a worse strike rate than Cunningham.

Chicago was using a 4-5-1 so I am HOPING that Chicago was mis-using him and he needs to play in a formation with 2 forwards with him being the set up man.

And as I stated before, I hope Barrett proves me wrong.

Well I hope so too!!
:drinking: