PDA

View Full Version : How about Honduran George Welcome?

jloome
07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Soccer By Ives is reporting the Red Bulls appear unable to reach terms with star of U-23 Honduran team.

http://www.soccerbyives.net (http://www.soccerbyives.net/)

Gotta think Guevara knows about the guy.

invictusTFC
07-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Soccer By Ives is reporting the Red Bulls appear unable to reach terms with star of U-23 Honduran team.

http://www.soccerbyives.net (http://www.soccerbyives.net/)

Gotta think Guevara knows about the guy.

I wonder what team has a discovery claim on him?

rocker
07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
New England does.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Saw this and thought the same thing.
FIngers crossed, hopefully New England, if we deal with them, doesnt demand too much

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Id imagine Guevara would love it and say some kind words about the team

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Well, I think Guevara would have a say in this considering we went after Carlos Costly. Dealing within the conference is tough though. Apparently the salary demands would be that of a established striker. Say 150K...we're a league that needs a resume before you get a contract. I think its risky but very interesting. Plus we have the drafts picks to pry players away from teams.

MG42
07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
George Welcome trained with the team today and the club did confirm that it has the second discovery spot on Welcome (as SBI told you last week, New England has the first discovery option).
So why won't this situation be the same as the messy Lider Marmol situation? Once the Red Bulls decide to make an offer to Welcome New England will be approached by MLS to make an offer. The Revs would then either have to make Welcome an offer or pass on the player, which would put the Red Bulls in the driver's seat.
New England making an offer doesn't look like a guaranteed thing, so there is a chance the Red Bulls could land Welcome, assuming they want to sign him. He looked good in training as a holding forward, though he did look a bit slow, probably rusty from all his recent travels.

I don't really see where they are having troubles signing him:noidea:

jloome
07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I don't really see where they are having troubles signing him:noidea:

From Ives's practice report today:

As you have heard by now, George Welcome is no longer on the club's radar. Now while this has been blamed on the Red Bulls reluctance to deal with another Lider Marmol situation where another team has a discovery claim on a player, a source tells me that Welcome's salary demands might have also played a part in the club moving on.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
a source tells me that Welcome's salary demands might have also played a part in the club moving on.

This is what brings me hope.
Especially as we were so kind as to more or less give them Phelan (if my memory serves me correct)

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
This is what brings me hope.
Especially as we were so kind as to more or less give them Phelan (if my memory serves me correct)

I wish it were that simple...no one in this league will do anything without it being like prostate exam. There will be no favours. Although, I would like to see Mo linked to this guy. On top of that, why won't the Revs try to get this guy?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
I wish it were that simple...no one in this league will do anything without it being like prostate exam. There will be no favours. Although, I would like to see Mo linked to this guy. On top of that, why won't the Revs try to get this guy?

Sigh.
So very fucking true
I think their roster is full and to be frank they dont need another striker...

Dirk Diggler
07-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Sigh.
So very fucking true
I think their roster is full and to be frank they dont need another striker...

This is the MLS. Any team can use some depth at any position.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
This is the MLS. Any team can use some depth at any position.

Use and afford are two different things, most often in contest with each other.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Okay, more to the point what were his salary demands and what compensation did the Revs want for this guy?

jloome
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Good question. I think it must've been an over $100G contract, easily, as the guy is young and a hot prospect. And the Revs DON'T need another striker; they're the one team in the league that has such an embarassment of riches, there's already talk they'll likely accept the next major offer from Europe for Twellman, after turning down a $3 million bid last year. They had the second-best offence in the league while he was out injured.

profit89
07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
good prospect

rocker
07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
i remember this guy running all over the field.. had some good skill.
he stood out on that team in the u-23s.

Dirk Diggler
07-30-2008, 07:03 PM
BTW, what's with their last names? Costly? Welcome? Oh well....atleast its not like those nickname deals like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

arsenal
07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
While I would not mind him here for the right price ..... he is no sure thing. He was left off their Olympic team (only thing I can find is that he went for a trial in France which pissed off Federation but if he was that good I am sure it would be overlooked). Per Nichol, he would not crack the NE roster (they are loaded up top so no huge surprise). But the fact that NYRB, who are razor thin up top, have passed after trial says something.

jloome
07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah, good point gunner. Maybe his work rate is suspect?

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Could be an issue. However, I think Ives would have stated that outright. I think the problem is return the Revs are looking for and his salary demand. I'm guessing 100K and a 1st. Thats a step price to pay for someone who is not a sure thing, especailly with Reyna still counting towards the cap, vandenbergh salary, and the addition of 4-5 new players. For NYRB they need a proven scorer to change their fortunes.

Anyone would be taking a waiver on this guy, but these are the chances I would prefer over aged EPLers.

jloome
07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Digz, I think your points are valid but I think Dickov might prove to be one of the exceptions to the rule, just becuase his work rate, tenacity and effort are so extreme compared even to top professionals in England that he'll immediately inject a lot of energy into the lineup.

We REALLY need that right now. I had a long thread somewhere on the TFC forum about their current tactical inadequacies but the one issue at the forefront from that list is still guts and heart, and there's no one probably in English football in the last decade who has more than this guy. Hell, his own teammates nicknamed him "The Pest."

If he can also score a bunch, great; But I guarantee you we've instantly doubled the quality of our service to our other striker and forward-thinking wingers even if he doesn't score a bunch.

Also love the idea of this guy playing off the wingers and vice-versa. Robert and Ricketts can already be real pest, but Guevara's a direct player as a playmaker, he rarely looks to push it wide. I'd love to see Robert and Ricketts cutting in frequently and playing the give and go with this guy, because Dickov will be in the right spot to make it happen effectively.

And it's not like he can't finish. Again, he got six goals in 11 starts at Blackpool just a handful of months ago. You're right, he's not a long-term solution; but neither is Danny D, and we love his bald beautiful tuckus.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Jloome, I don't doubt what Dickov brings to the table. The problem is TFC is not lining itself up for a championship at all. Its directing its efforts to making playoffs for the this year and the next.

I just use the Revs and Houston that have their teams playing together for long periods of time and develop from within. I think Dickov will do great but we are no closer to a championship, which in my mind is all that matters. I think its better if we are adding good young talent that will develop and we miss playoffs as oppossed to making the 1st round of playoffs and being eliminated. This year or next year.

In no way am I calling into question Robert, Dickov, Huckery, Robinson talent...I'd rather a Ricketts or a Welcome that will be with us in 4 years time. When the team is ready to be champs.

DigzTFC!
08-02-2008, 02:59 PM
http://www.heraldohn.com/ez/index.php/plain_site_user/ediciones/2008/08/02/desde_nino_soy_motagua

Signed with Motagua: Amado's former club