PDA

View Full Version : MO countdown

Oldtimer
07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
At the start of the season, I said that we should wait until after the transfer window closes until we decide whether or not Mo is doing a good enough job.

He brought in Carver. Carver is a decent enough coach for an MLS side, and ranks at least in the top half, although he's not amazing. His player management is excellent, but his tactics are somewhat sub-par.

Winsper is a great addition and made a huge difference to our season start.

Mo's drafting was good, I feel that our backup GK is strong enough to challenge Sutton, despite being a kid.

He did some good deals to strengthen our midfield after Ronnie O' left due to the turf. Robert, Ricketts, and Guevara are quality additions from an MLS perspective.

Now we need strengthening up front. Cunningham could have reasonably been expected to be a decent starter, but for whatever reason he is not delivering. I don't expect Barrett to single-handedly solve our scoring problems.

So this is the crunch time. Will Mo deliver? If yes, then we can expect good things in the future. If not, we will need a new GM, one who can bring in the players despite our turf issues.

So it's not time to say "sack Mo" yet, but we should be watching the next couple of weeks closely to see what we end up with.

Our recent results are upsetting, especially losing a CL qualifying competition that essentially was set up so we could play in the CL, not so l'Impact could represent Canada (which they are not capable of doing). We've dropped from 3rd in MLS to 10th. Can Mo turn this team around? The next little while should tell.

togetherness
07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
To be honest TFC corp would not have the balls to sack anyone at this point.. They have no infastructure or experience at Footy and would not have a clue what to do without the guys they have brought in Mo Carver etc.. That is not to say that Mo and company are good football guys or even bad football guys..
With all do respect we are stuck with what we have for the long haul I think.. at least till end of next season..

Parkdale
07-30-2008, 10:06 AM
very objective of you.

I've got to tack on that getting a real fitness coach has done wonders for the team, and even though there's a few key players out on injuries now (Dichio, Dunivant) we could have been in much worse shape if the team's overall level of fitness was lower. Good job Winsper.

Edwards is a great addition to the team, and getting him some playtime has gone a long way to building his confidence which will benefit the club in the long run. Sure Sutton is a monster in net right now, but it's very important to have a strong #2.

now for the BIG issue (as I see it). The real problem with out team right now goes above Mo and above the MLSE. The problem is the City of Toronto and the fact that Bmo has to be made available to the community for peanuts. If Bmo could run without the civic obligation to let kids play frisbee, then we could get grass and players.

Shakes McQueen
07-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I think Mo has done a remarkable job of building up Toronto FC's roster, when you consider that the franchise has existed for one and a half seasons. Especially when you further consider the factors working against us specifically, (new club, FieldTurf, many internationals want to play out the remaining years in places like L.A.)

This striker saga has been deflating, but who knows how much of that is Mo's fault. A lot of intriguing international names have been linked to TFC in the past several weeks, which tells me that Mo has probably been working his ass off to bring a quality striker to the club, and just hasn't had any luck, for whatever reason.

- Scott

Beach_Red
07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
You're right, TFC has very little infrastructure and no history. If they start a revolving door of GM's and coaches this early will anyone of any quality ever take them seriously?

Imagine an expansion team in this league that gave its GM less than two years to build a team going out and looking for a new GM? They'd get laughed at by anyone with any experience.

sidney
07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Well said oldtimer.

joel
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
2nd year, I would say we are doing pretty good, and I think at times people think we should be winning the title by now which is silly. It takes time to build an orgainization, and as proven you can't just buy all the parts and expect it to work together brilliantly the first time.

BuSaPuNk
07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
For the second year in the leauge they are not doing too bad. This time last year we weren't even having this conversation of Playoffs. The way things are going right now we should be looking a contenting for a MLS title in the next few years. Carver and Mo I believe are doing a great job for what they have. I still think that Mo has too look into getting a legit striker and defender.

Rawkus_420
07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
our depth at goalie is 100 times better than last year, remember those struggles.....our midfield is solid, and I would say better than last year as well, Our defence has also improved, this is sometimes hard to notice because of the lack of offence. barrett will help, despite his low-light reel, I think him and ibby or him and smith up front can cause problem simply because they hustle....we need dichio back, or at least another quality striker to sign, if lets happens, once we have our best starting 11 ont he field , I believe we can beat most teams and challenge for a playoff spot. The last two road losses were disapointing, both in the last few minutes.

Callign for peoples heads now will no benefit us AT ALL, it is silly for ppl to write big long speeches about sending carver back to england hahhaha...fuck seriously, support you reds, when you pull quick 180's and call for peoples heads, it makes you sound more and more like leaf fans and that terrible toronto sports mentality that we have unfortunately become famous for. Carver said it best " no wonder your hockey team hasnt won in 40 years".

Antoshka
07-30-2008, 11:17 AM
mo is remarkable GM!!! we keep getting players and yet we keep adding draft spots, allocation spots, international spots... hes a wizard!

rocker
07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
thankfully in MLS all it takes is 1 player addition to change a season. Blanco last year took a Chicago team that had a worse record than TFC did to the playoffs.
i think the tipping point isn't much on each team to go from shit to good or good to excellent. that's the joy of parity!

Tintin
07-30-2008, 11:28 AM
very objective of you.

I've got to tack on that getting a real fitness coach has done wonders for the team, and even though there's a few key players out on injuries now (Dichio, Dunivant) we could have been in much worse shape if the team's overall level of fitness was lower. Good job Winsper.

Edwards is a great addition to the team, and getting him some playtime has gone a long way to building his confidence which will benefit the club in the long run. Sure Sutton is a monster in net right now, but it's very important to have a strong #2.

now for the BIG issue (as I see it). The real problem with out team right now goes above Mo and above the MLSE. The problem is the City of Toronto and the fact that Bmo has to be made available to the community for peanuts. If Bmo could run without the civic obligation to let kids play frisbee, then we could get grass and players.

I agree with most oy your commenst but not the sutton part. He has had good games (RSL) but also bad games (MTL for example). I don't think he is Monster. He is good but we could have better. People forget that he played for 6 years in the USL. If TFC does not come to MLS, he might not be playing in the MLS...

Tintin
07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
mo is remarkable GM!!! we keep getting players and yet we keep adding draft spots, allocation spots, international spots... hes a wizard!

Well, he is good at that yes but he needs to convince a star or a DP to play here regardless of the turf. Good GM find ways. Look at the Detroit Red Wings and the Hossa signing...

Rawkus_420
07-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Can't wait to see how he uses the draft picks..and various spots, it is promising for next year I agree...very promising, we are in the process of building a young strong team that can really only get better.

But thats next year , we need a strike force ASAP before we dwindle out of any playoff hopes , right now it is tight and we still have chance, im sure carver and mo know this and I be they both want to sign someone this year...as opposed to looking ahead till next year, that would be a shitty attitude and I have confidence they both know this.

Dirk Diggler
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
thankfully in MLS all it takes is 1 player addition to change a season. Blanco last year took a Chicago team that had a worse record than TFC did to the playoffs.
i think the tipping point isn't much on each team to go from shit to good or good to excellent. that's the joy of parity!

Unfortunately its the part where we get a player of Blanco's calibre to sign the contract that seems tricky.

kitchener-TFC
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I think MO's countdown got a bit longer, as he finally signed a striker!

Northern Soul
07-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Well, he is good at that yes but he needs to convince a star or a DP to play here regardless of the turf. Good GM find ways. Look at the Detroit Red Wings and the Hossa signing...

Not comparable at all. The Red Wings are a LONG-established NHL team that won the Stanley Cup last year. Marian Hossa wanted to play for the Stanley Cup champs, and that's being a good GM??

MLS attracts older players, and some have significant concerns about the field that the team plays on. Some could suffer (in their eyes) career-ending injuries because of the turf.

In addition, DP rule aside, the MLS has a salary cap, which certainly is a constraint when trying to attract talent from other leagues.

Smenge
07-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Having the field turf helps weed out the mercenaries from the true pros. Playing on the shit, didn't hurt players like Arshavin this season, so I think it's unpopularity is just a ruse, there are some pitches using grass that have contributed to serious injuries (wet grass=sprain ankles and pulled groin muscles). If the money is right, a pro will play on a land fill site.

RPB_Brantford_08
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
At the start of the season, I said that we should wait until after the transfer window closes until we decide whether or not Mo is doing a good enough job.

He brought in Carver. Carver is a decent enough coach for an MLS side, and ranks at least in the top half, although he's not amazing. His player management is excellent, but his tactics are somewhat sub-par.

Winsper is a great addition and made a huge difference to our season start.

Mo's drafting was good, I feel that our backup GK is strong enough to challenge Sutton, despite being a kid.

He did some good deals to strengthen our midfield after Ronnie O' left due to the turf. Robert, Ricketts, and Guevara are quality additions from an MLS perspective.

Now we need strengthening up front. Cunningham could have reasonably been expected to be a decent starter, but for whatever reason he is not delivering. I don't expect Barrett to single-handedly solve our scoring problems.

So this is the crunch time. Will Mo deliver? If yes, then we can expect good things in the future. If not, we will need a new GM, one who can bring in the players despite our turf issues.

So it's not time to say "sack Mo" yet, but we should be watching the next couple of weeks closely to see what we end up with.

Our recent results are upsetting, especially losing a CL qualifying competition that essentially was set up so we could play in the CL, not so l'Impact could represent Canada (which they are not capable of doing). We've dropped from 3rd in MLS to 10th. Can Mo turn this team around? The next little while should tell.

jeezus, were in the 2nd year and the talk for firing people has started again, soulds like leaf fans. this may be a surprise, but we are still playing better football then last year, we still are in the hunt for a playoff spot,
the team is exciting to watch...and you want to fire MO...Carver was right...people/media in Toronto do not want a winner,the fans are negative all the time. TFC vs Montreal, Montreal has years of experience on us you canna make up it 2 short seasons...not possible. Mo was given a 5 year time frame to build the club he must have all 5 seasons.