PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 4 - March Goes Out Like a Beast - SKC @ TFC Friday March 31 7:30pm

OgtheDim
03-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Here's hoping Jozy keeps up his form.

Have at It People

Fort York Redcoat
03-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Jozy has more goals all time than Seba again. Let the race begin anew!

KC didn't show much to be scared of last match. SJ's keeper Saad lost that game for them on brain farts.

akoto
03-20-2017, 08:33 AM
SKC has only really scored 1 goal in their last 3 matches. The second goal was an OG. They have played pretty well defensively but really struggled to put anything together in the final third. The goal Benny scored gets saved 9 times out of 10. With that being said SKC needs a result from this match and they will be coming out hard to get one. If TFC can keep pressuring the back 4 and have Morrow keep Zusi busy all day we will find our chances.

Initial B
03-20-2017, 10:35 AM
I worry about Dwyer though. I'm just waiting for him to start scoring again. Though maybe married life has taken his edge off. I think TFC can win this one 2-0 or 2-1, depending on Seba's health and Vasquez rounding into form.

GuelphStorm2007
03-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Sporting K.C has always given TFC major fits through the years Hopefully TFC can finally get that Monkey off there back against them and beat them

OgtheDim
03-26-2017, 08:43 AM
This of course will change but the current weather forecast for Friday is a high of 6 and rain.

noimpactinmtl
03-26-2017, 09:27 AM
This of course will change but the current weather forecast for Friday is a high of 6 and rain.

This seasons scarf would come in handy.

backbeat
03-26-2017, 06:24 PM

i'd prefer the first match was a Saturday afternoon

it's quasi-psychological for me

in the later part of the season i'm into the chill in the air, the wind & rain

but at the start of the season it seems so much colder - i'm sure it's winter fatigue

i want heat

anyroad i'm excited to be there and can't wait for it all to begin .....

Stress
03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
So any guesses on our line up considering Jozy, Bradley, and Cooper are playing in Panama late Tuesday night. I think Oso and Vasquez cover off Cooper but interested to see how they manage Jozy and Bradley.

Yohan
03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Bradley starts, because IIRC he always started even after coming back from an international game. Pending on Jozy's fitness he might start on bench and Ricketts starts.

RealG-TFC
03-27-2017, 01:31 PM
No reason to start Jozy, love the guy but he's clearly someone that needs his playing time carefully managed.

Doucet3
03-27-2017, 01:36 PM
I'm assuming so but is there and opening day march?, if so what are the details so I can plan accordingly. Cant wait to see the lot of you all again!

OgtheDim
03-27-2017, 05:57 PM
So

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/846492744092672000 (Larson edited it to be 2 goals + a win)

which leads me to REALLY hope we don't hear this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ1pub_jg3o

Red CB Toronto
03-27-2017, 06:31 PM
So

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/846492744092672000 (Larson edited it to be 2 goals + a win)

which leads me to REALLY hope we don't hear this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ1pub_jg3o

Oh god, can you imagine that chant rolling through BMO, shoot me now.

Richard
03-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Don't be so uptight.

Red4ever
03-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Everyone understands that the team was mediocre at best when that chant went off right?

There's really not a lot of difference between that and "let's pretend we scored a goal"

OgtheDim
03-27-2017, 08:31 PM
You know, if we are close to winning near the end of a game, some sort of "Thank You for the Pizza" chant directed at opponents would be kinda cool.....

UpTheReds
03-28-2017, 09:41 AM
Why is the USA v Panama game tonight? Crazy turnaround to go from Panama on a Tuesday back to Toronto for a Friday game. I don't know how effective Altidore and Bradley will be Friday night.

OgtheDim
03-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Soooooo......apparently Gate 3 is now a Members Only Gate. (have to show your card)

burlington Red
03-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Soooooo......apparently Gate 3 is now a Members Only Gate. (have to show your card)

I seen that, are ssh automatically members or is this something else you have to apply for?

Canary10
03-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Isn't it the card that comes with our season tickets? I like this idea as a season ticket holder, but I think it's probably going to cause a lot of grief.

OgtheDim
03-28-2017, 10:07 AM
SSH = Members. The card came with the package.

I usually use Gate 3 as Gate 4 is a shit show and habitually opens up late and I'm one of those guys that insists on getting in ASAP (sad I know).

Most people using Gate 3 are not members. HOWEVER, with 21K in season seats sold, in theory, 2/3 of the seats are members so who knows. The idea here is to try to reduce the crowding that goes on at Gate 1.

ryan
03-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Isn't it the card that comes with our season tickets? I like this idea as a season ticket holder, but I think it's probably going to cause a lot of grief.

I have two tickets and one membership card. Makes sense.

Joe Kool
03-28-2017, 10:38 AM

That's strange. I have 4 season tickets and got 4 cards in my package.

OgtheDim
03-28-2017, 11:17 AM
https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/status/846755413555056641

Stress
03-28-2017, 11:28 AM
At least Zusi is with the USMNT team too even if he's only being used as a sub it's better than nothing.

Red CB Toronto
03-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Not at all, have two for my two SSH.

spe18
03-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Why is the USA v Panama game tonight? Crazy turnaround to go from Panama on a Tuesday back to Toronto for a Friday game. I don't know how effective Altidore and Bradley will be Friday night.

Because during an international week, you play 1 game on the Friday, and the other gets played on the Tuesday

charlieocc
03-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Bradley starts, because IIRC he always started even after coming back from an international game. Pending on Jozy's fitness he might start on bench and Ricketts starts.
I agree, and we really need Bradley to start imo. Altidore has been our best attacking threat this year but still, if not fit he could definitely come on later especially since we'll likely have Seba back. Anybody think there's a chance Edwards gets a start over Ricketts?

Areathrasher
03-28-2017, 12:24 PM
https://twitter.com/Eric_Giacometti/status/846765107287875584

molenshtain
03-28-2017, 12:36 PM
I agree, and we really need Bradley to start imo. Altidore has been our best attacking threat this year but still, if not fit he could definitely come on later especially since we'll likely have Seba back. Anybody think there's a chance Edwards gets a start over Ricketts?

I think if Altidore's not ready to go it's more likely Hamilton that gets the start than Ricketts. Seba and Tos don't really gel on there own together while Hamilton showed well playing with Seba last year over the summer. It's been a while since they've had the chance to give Hamilton minutes anyway so I assume they'll take the opportunity. Better to have Altidore and Ricketts coming on after 60 mins to close out the game against a tired defence playing a high line too.

Bradley's a freak of nature though. He'll start every game when healthy.

Canary10
03-28-2017, 12:46 PM
I think if Altidore's not ready to go it's more likely Hamilton that gets the start than Ricketts. Seba and Tos don't really gel on there own together while Hamilton showed well playing with Seba last year over the summer. It's been a while since they've had the chance to give Hamilton minutes anyway so I assume they'll take the opportunity. Better to have Altidore and Ricketts coming on after 60 mins to close out the game against a tired defence playing a high line too.

Bradley's a freak of nature though. He'll start every game when healthy.

Yes.

notthesun
03-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Hamilton will be coming back from Qatar with the U-23s though. Ricketts might start as he's had the week off.

Captain
03-28-2017, 12:52 PM

I usually use Gate 3 as Gate 4 is a shit show and habitually opens up late and I'm one of those guys that insists on getting in ASAP (sad I know).

Most people using Gate 3 are not members. HOWEVER, with 21K in season seats sold, in theory, 2/3 of the seats are members so who knows. The idea here is to try to reduce the crowding that goes on at Gate 1.

Does anyone have a link to a map of BMO field that includes the gate #'s? I have no idea which gate is which.

molenshtain
03-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Hamilton will be coming back from Qatar with the U-23s though. Ricketts might start as he's had the week off.

Ah, fair enough then. I'd forgotten he hadn't been with the squad of late. Ricketts will probably get it then, yeah.

Yohan
03-28-2017, 01:08 PM
Edwards is a winger who is being converted to wingback.

Red CB Toronto
03-28-2017, 01:09 PM
I tend to enter via the west side of the north patio, it is cake walk compared to some of the other gates.

Does anyone have a link to a map of BMO field that includes the gate #'s? I have no idea which gate is which.

OgtheDim
03-28-2017, 01:28 PM

http://bmofield.com/plan-your-visit/food-beverages/#maps

Red CB Toronto
03-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Man it looks like it will be a wet evening. Friday can't come soon enough.

FriMar 31
Light rain
https://s2.twnmm.com/images/en_ca/icons/wxicons_large/28.png
6°C

POP 80%
2-4 mm
30 km/h E

notthesun
03-28-2017, 03:50 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer-vanney-giovinco-dre-moor/

So Vanney says that in his mind, he's chosen a #1 GK, but he won't say who it is, and he says he still wants to give minutes to both Bono and Irwin early in the season.

This is mostly a gut feeling, but if I were to guess I'd think that he sees Bono ahead of Irwin right now.

Canary10
03-28-2017, 04:01 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer-vanney-giovinco-dre-moor/

So Vanney says that in his mind, he's chosen a #1 GK, but he won't say who it is, and he says he still wants to give minutes to both Bono and Irwin early in the season.

This is mostly a gut feeling, but if I were to guess I'd think that he sees Bono ahead of Irwin right now.

I think Irwin. I interpret the "giving minutes" part to an explanation why Bono started the last game.

Richard
03-28-2017, 06:49 PM

If he has a #1 in mind then he should say so and play them now.

It would also help the backline gel with whoever is in net too , he's going to create a controversy out of nothing and we really should have had our #1 decided by the end of our pre-season.

Red CB Toronto
03-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Status of Zusi, Besler, Espinoza and Feilhaber unclear for Sporting KC’s match Friday

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article141286973.html

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article141286973.html#storylink=cpy

molenshtain
03-28-2017, 08:11 PM

OgtheDim
03-29-2017, 06:38 AM
One nice thing about Friday night games - No transit closures.

And..a reminder that the streetcar into the Ex is back.

Current Toronto Islands Hourly Weather indicates

Drizzle all day

Temps around 4 to 5 degrees all day right up until game time

East winds around 25K with gusts to 42

ensco
03-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Zusi played the full 90 last night. Besler didn't play.

So unless Vermes was blowing smoke (very possible), Zusi will sit Friday.

Both Altidore and Bradley played 90 minutes yesterday, I'll be surprised if Altidore starts.

charlieocc
03-29-2017, 09:15 AM
And..a reminder that the streetcar into the Ex is back.

Finally!! Thank God

OgtheDim
03-29-2017, 11:45 AM
https://twitter.com/Eric_Giacometti/status/847111318826106880

I'm thinking Bradley starts while Cooper & Altidore are on the bench. Only issue for me is SKC likes to press and hack and without Cooper, we lack a certain nastiness in the midfield.

dupont
03-29-2017, 01:38 PM
I've been completely out of the loop. What is Giovinco's status now? Is he coming back for this game?

Graeme
03-29-2017, 01:51 PM
My guesses:

--------------------Irwin-----------------
-----Zavaleta------Moor---Mavinga----
--Beitashour--------------------Morrow-
------------------Bradley----------------
-------Vasquez-----------Osorio-------
---------Altidore-----Giovinco----------

Subs: Cooper/Ricketts on around 60. One of Edwards/Chapman/Endoh, if Vanney uses all subs.

charlieocc
03-29-2017, 01:56 PM
I've been completely out of the loop. What is Giovinco's status now? Is he coming back for this game?

Yep, Kurt said he's 100% good to go. (http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/29/sebastian-giovinco-set-to-return-as-toronto-fc-hosts-sporting-kc)

As for Altidore, I'm not sure he starts. Bradley probably, but I think Jozy maybe gets in early in the second half against tired SKC legs, especially if Zusi is playing.

MightyDM
03-29-2017, 01:57 PM
My guesses:

--------------------Irwin-----------------
-----Zavaleta------Moor---Mavinga----
--Beitashour--------------------Morrow-
------------------Bradley----------------
-------Vasquez-----------Osorio-------
---------Altidore-----Giovinco----------

Subs: Cooper/Ricketts on around 60. One of Edwards/Chapman/Endoh, if Vanney uses all subs.

I think Hagglund still plays. It will be as close to the lineup from December 10 as possible, except Jozy will not start and likely not Cooper either.

reggie
03-29-2017, 01:57 PM
yes he is 100%

Captain
03-29-2017, 02:17 PM
Here's my guess

------------------Irwin----------------
-----Zav------Moor-----Haglund-----
Beita--------------------------Morrow
--------------Bradley-----------------
------Vasquez----------Oso----------
--------Ricketts---Giovinco----------

with Altidore, Cooper and Chapman subbing on (if we're ahead then we'll see Mavinga instead of Altidore)

notthesun
03-29-2017, 07:59 PM
https://twitter.com/WheelerTSN/status/847160445366611972

Pitch should be good.

MightyDM
03-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Here's my guess

------------------Irwin----------------
-----Zav------Moor-----Haglund-----
Beita--------------------------Morrow
--------------Bradley-----------------
------Vasquez----------Oso----------
--------Ricketts---Giovinco----------

with Altidore, Cooper and Chapman subbing on (if we're ahead then we'll see Mavinga instead of Altidore)

itd be cheyrou if he was here but I think you have nailed it. Any one else sense that Cheyrou is likely done? They are being very quiet about his absence, and " personal reasons" could mean " getting a coaching contract in France" " playing in Algeria" or almost anything.

noimpactinmtl
03-29-2017, 09:29 PM
itd be cheyrou if he was here but I think you have nailed it. Any one else sense that Cheyrou is likely done? They are being very quiet about his absence, and " personal reasons" could mean " getting a coaching contract in France" " playing in Algeria" or almost anything.

I'm not complaining too much, Cheyrou probably signed knowing he's going to get time to study for his UEFA badges while getting playing time during Voyageur's Cup or international tournaments.

GerMc
03-30-2017, 06:07 AM
Feilhaber out for Friday...

https://twitter.com/kcstar/status/847212279682781186

Graeme
03-30-2017, 09:14 AM

Toronto Sun pics of yesterday's practice show that Cheyrou was there (as well as Bradley).

TheGoodson
03-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Rumor has it that at the end of this season Cheyrou is going to retire and he already has a job lined up with TFC's academy

Initial B
03-30-2017, 12:09 PM
I have to admit I like our chances considering Feilhaber is out and Seba is in. 2-0 Toronto, I think.

UpTheReds
03-30-2017, 01:43 PM
I will be absolutely shocked if Altidore starts this game. With his injury history it's just not worth having his body break down on the back of two games so close together.

GlenM
03-30-2017, 01:55 PM
I have to admit I like our chances considering Feilhaber is out and Seba is in. 2-0 Toronto, I think.

FREE SLICE OF PIZZA!!!

GlenM

Yohan
03-30-2017, 06:33 PM
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhL9ravu4uQ

notthesun
03-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Alan Kelly is the ref for this one. Can't ask for better these days.

molenshtain
03-30-2017, 07:11 PM
he reffed the home opener last year too didn't he?

Cashcleaner
03-30-2017, 07:58 PM
KC is coming into the match with the same number of Games Played (3), same number of Wins (1), Losses (0), and Draws (2). That said, we have been scoring more goals and they've all been on the road. KC, on the other hand, played their last two at home against San Jose and Dallas.

Gonna be a good night to pick up three points, even if the weather is forecast to be pretty chilly and damp. :coolgleam:

Blindside16
03-31-2017, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jozy start. He wants back on the pitch at BMO bad. I honestly think it's a 50-50 toss up for him right now. It will probably come down to Vanney going with his gut. T-minus 16 hours and 24 minutes till kickoff

OgtheDim
03-31-2017, 05:41 AM
GAME DAY :scarf:

This week has been SOOOOO slow.

So the weather forecast hasn't changed. Ignore the warnings about total accumulations. Steady rain but not huge bucketfulls. Same temp all day down on the lake - 3 degrees. Winds out of the East switching to out of the North East this afternoon.

Like Vancouver rain but colder is how I would describe this.

South will get wet and we will see which way the wind takes the rain for the East and West.

Frankly, I only care about that to avoid getting soaked. Thoughts of Game Day will keep me warm until kickoff.

MightyDM
03-31-2017, 07:41 AM
Toronto Sun pics of yesterday's practice show that Cheyrou was there (as well as Bradley).

OK good. I want to be part of the standing ovation he gets tonight when he comes on in the 73rd minute

James17930
03-31-2017, 08:00 AM
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhL9ravu4uQ

That was funny.

And I don't see how anyone can ever question Seba's desire to be here – he's obviously enjoying himself enough to do stuff like this.

gmacpheetfc
03-31-2017, 09:23 AM
Personally I'm more excited to see how Atlanta play Seattle big test for them!

ensco
03-31-2017, 09:32 AM
OK good. I want to be part of the standing ovation he gets tonight when he comes on in the 73rd minute

Tonight is a night to celebrate. Godawful weather or not, it's party time.

I hope all of Cheyrou, Hagglund and Ricketts get some special attention from us tonight.

charlieocc
03-31-2017, 09:35 AM
Finally game day!!! So excited :scarf:

Canary10
03-31-2017, 10:01 AM
Will be interested to see who starts in goal. I still think Clint, but we'll see. Whoever it is will most likely be the number one Vanney mentioned in an interview earlier.

TFC Tifoso
03-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Will be interested to see who starts in goal. I still think Clint, but we'll see. Whoever it is will most likely be the number one Vanney mentioned in an interview earlier.

as per Larson's article today, Vanney confirmed on Thursday that Irwin is the first choice keeper.....Larson says its Irwin tonight.....

Section_105
03-31-2017, 10:26 AM
TFC clap clap clap
TFC clap clap clap
TFC clap clap clap
:flare:

Canary10
03-31-2017, 10:38 AM
as per Larson's article today, Vanney confirmed on Thursday that Irwin is the first choice keeper.....Larson says its Irwin tonight.....

Ah, missed that. Thanks.

whositwhatnow
03-31-2017, 10:42 AM
WHOOOHOOO game day!!!! took half day heading down to T.O. early wore my reds sweater and jersey to work had meetings all morning i was the only one in red :)

TFC Tifoso
03-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Ah, missed that. Thanks.

no prob......

mikeyrocks
03-31-2017, 11:19 AM
What time is the march into the stadium leaving shoeless?

sn0re
03-31-2017, 11:26 AM
What time is the march into the stadium leaving shoeless?
18:00

Petor
03-31-2017, 04:55 PM
The home opener is getting off to a great start! :)

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/847923579266224128

anto7
03-31-2017, 04:59 PM
So if we get awarded a pk tonight who takes it, Seba or Jozy? And if it is Seba where does he place it? I think Seba will take it and go cute right down the middle

FootBallAZ
03-31-2017, 05:11 PM
The home opener is getting off to a great start! :)

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/847923579266224128

omg,no
take elevator tn

whositwhatnow
03-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Yup no go on elevator

General Woolfe
03-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Tricky game for us tonight. I fully expect Bradley, Altidore, and Cooper to sit this one out given their efforts for their national sides over the last ten days. Feilhaber, Zusi, and Espinoza could do likewise for SKC which should even things out somewhat, but we'll still be looking for Seba and Ricketts to establish a working partnership up front, and Vazquez and Osorio to gel in the middle of the park. Throw in the conditions tonight and we could well be looking at a 0-0 draw for our home opener. The Reds have really still to gel this season and the disruption to the side coupled with it being slick underfoot points towards a frustrating evening imo. Hope im wrong however and we see a 3-0 blow out for Toronto...

Greatest Ripoff
03-31-2017, 05:44 PM
Excited that this is actually on a sky sports channel that I get.

mowe
03-31-2017, 05:50 PM
Edwards in for Morrow, Altidore on the bench. Vazquez, Osorio, Bradley in the midfield.

notthesun
03-31-2017, 05:51 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/847939925886599169

Altidore off the bench, otherwise expected except that Edwards starts at LB as Morrow is unavailable due to a heel injury that is "not serious" according to Larson.

General Woolfe
03-31-2017, 06:09 PM
Surprised Bradley is starting. He was great in San Jose but looked a bit lethargic in Panama. I hope hes not too tired. He plays a big role for us but perhaps Cheyrou could have acted as an able deputy

James17930
03-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Yuck – weather looks terrible :)

ag futbol
Edwards with the start! On account of injury to morrow but none the less...

Edit: weather looks like a total shit sandwich. I'll be interested to hear if the roof helps in these conditions.

woolly
Does anyone have a good stream?

mistercorporate
03-31-2017, 06:54 PM
Game F*&ING DAY!!!

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 06:54 PM
Does anyone have a good stream?
http://giostreams.eu/72.html

James17930
03-31-2017, 06:55 PM
http://cdn.livetvcdn.net/webplayer.php?t=ifr&c=649594&lang=en&eid=513624&lid=649594&ci=64&si=1

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 06:55 PM
WOW, the stadium looks super empty...

James17930
03-31-2017, 06:56 PM

It's filling up pretty well now.

daner90
03-31-2017, 06:57 PM
Here we go!

canta15
03-31-2017, 07:01 PM
Weather is terrible tbh

canta15
03-31-2017, 07:02 PM
Can't wait to see what Edwards can do!

CBTFC
03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
C'mon guys hold on to the ball for a bit and slowly work it up the field. Game is unnecessarily moving at warp speed right now.

ag futbol
03-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Ugh if only we finished that!!!

mowe
03-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Ahhh Giovinco really should have scored!

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 07:14 PM
TFC doing shit in the first 20 minutes.

CBTFC
03-31-2017, 07:19 PM
Edwards looking dangerous so far!

mowe
03-31-2017, 07:20 PM
What a turn by Edwards. Love his confidence.

Inklink
03-31-2017, 07:22 PM
What an idiotic pass by Bradley. What is he trying to do? Raheem was wide open.

ag futbol
03-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Beitashour needs to make a better pass there. Vasquez's fade off the defender there was brilliant.

I can't stand Allen Kelly. There are worse, but still...

CBTFC
03-31-2017, 07:32 PM
I thought Beita's pass was just fine, just unfortunate that vasquez slipped

CBTFC
03-31-2017, 07:33 PM
Osorio missing the shooting boots still I see.

Inklink
03-31-2017, 07:33 PM
Osorio is bad.

Beit has made a few nice plays.

mistercorporate
03-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Osorio...*smh* Could we have Cooper in for him? This is embarassing.

Inklink
03-31-2017, 07:36 PM
Irwin knee injury? Hyperextended?

ag futbol
03-31-2017, 07:38 PM
Arg, that sucks. Feel bad for Irwin.

Inklink
03-31-2017, 07:38 PM
Hopefully nothing serious, and Irwin just doesn't want to play in this crappy weather and decided to milk it ;)

Inklink
03-31-2017, 07:42 PM
Oso needs to come off.

ag futbol
03-31-2017, 07:42 PM
I'm just feeling bad for the kid at this point. Those first two touches were not easy.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 07:43 PM
WTF Osorio...

mistercorporate
03-31-2017, 07:43 PM
COOPERRR....I can't take anymore of Osorio's Sunday league grade school nonsense...

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Ref is an idiot.
Should be at least 4 min added time.

ag futbol
03-31-2017, 07:49 PM
Not a bad half... let's put one in the net.

Edwards very positive, outside of a few wonky passes Bradley has been a wall in midfield.

Put altidore on at 60 and run them over. He is exactly what's missing from the game right now. Ricketts isn't offering anything hold up wise.

mistercorporate
03-31-2017, 07:51 PM
I thought when Cooper came in we could relegate Osorio to the bench, I'd frankly rather have a rookie like Delgado over Osorio right about now.

nonc
03-31-2017, 07:51 PM
Our team is braindead. Moore, Zavaleta, since when do we play hoofball? Giovinco shouldn't have to come to defensive midfield to get the ball. Osorio's finishing has always sucked but that half was comedic.

EDIT: SKC faced the wind that half and still embarrassed TFC.

notthesun
03-31-2017, 07:52 PM
I hate to pile on but yeah, Osorio's finishing remains pretty terrible. Shame, because he does the right thing so often, then gets the hit wrong...

KC is super-bunkering, shadowing Bradley and applying little pressure to the CBs. Just marking everyone and forcing Moor to make the first pass out of the back. We should be up but it's still working decently. I actually like to see Giovinco dropping as deep as he is to get the ball, he's making things happen. If that's what it takes to open KC up, so be it.

I'd like to see Altidore for Ricketts fairly soon, we need someone that can take a long ball down up there. I don't think Ricketts has had such a great start to the season.

Edwards has been pretty good. Also that move from Hagglund down the left! Where the hell did that come from? That was awesome.

General Woolfe
03-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Very scrappy first half from TFC. We really should be doing better in this game given the chances weve had. I thought KC started strong, but we handled them capably and have gradually started to dominate the game. I just hope our wastefulness doesnt end up costing us. I think weve looked fine defensively, Moor Haglund and Zavaletta looking solid at the back. Bradley is having a decent game in front of them, very active in policing the backline and orchestrating our forward moves. Its in front of him where were having problems. Seba and Ricketts have been largely anonymous, largely due to lack of service. Edwards and Beitashour are providing us with width, our best moves coming through these two players. It our attacking midfielders who are the problem. Vazquez and Osorio need to get much more involved and provide a link between Bradley and the forwards. Their first touch and decision making is just not there tonight and they both need to pick it up in the second half if we are to take the three points. Osorio in particular is having a bit of a nightmare. His finishing is atrocious and he should certainly have one goal, if not two.

General Woolfe
03-31-2017, 08:00 PM

Too many corporate giveaways I fear. All these companies who buy tickets to give to clients as sweeteners are the bane of Toronto sports

CBTFC
03-31-2017, 08:12 PM
Vasquez is more and more appearing to me as a younger, faster Cheyrou.

Found myself at times last year wishing we had Cheyrou 3-5 years ago. Well, here we are.

Inklink
03-31-2017, 08:12 PM
WTF Bradley. Big save Bono

ag futbol
03-31-2017, 08:13 PM
MLS cup all over again .. Allen Kelly doesn't know how to call persistent infringement or a tactical foul. What a boob.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 08:21 PM
Ricketts hasn't done anything this game.

notthesun
03-31-2017, 08:23 PM
Giovinco looking much more like himself. Just been really tough getting him the ball in good areas.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Since the 2nd leg of the Montreal game TFC has a horribly hard time to find the back of the net.

CBTFC
03-31-2017, 08:49 PM
Raheem Edwards with the big save!

notthesun
03-31-2017, 08:50 PM
Bradley better be absolutely dying to take a breath because his lack of urgency right now is inexcusable.

ag futbol
03-31-2017, 08:52 PM
What a frustrating game.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 08:58 PM
What a frustrating game.
Against Atlanta FTC needs to play 100% better to win.
Atlanta will score at least 1, but maybe 2.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Well, this was a busted season opener.
TFC looked like a team having 4 Chad Barrets on the field trying to score.

notthesun
03-31-2017, 09:03 PM
Our last 10 minutes were our worst of the whole game. What the fuck was that? Where was the pressure? Did anybody want to win out there???

Guys better wake up, I don't care about a draw this early in the season but the effort late in the game today was just pathetic. Absolutely nobody running to get themselves open, we just passed it around the back and turned it over for 10 minutes to end the game. Every single team we play against at home is going to bunker like this. Everybody watched the Final last year, they know the best chance at points at BMO is to park the bus for 90 minutes. We're literally going to deal with this all season. 10 minutes left against an opponent with no interest in posessing the ball and that's the urgency we show? Again the draw is whatever, it's the barely trying to win when the game is right there that pisses me off.

charlieocc
03-31-2017, 09:10 PM
Well at least Bono played well I guess

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 09:17 PM
Our last 10 minutes were our worst of the whole game. What the fuck was that? Where was the pressure? Did anybody want to win out there???

Guys better wake up, I don't care about a draw this early in the season but the effort late in the game today was just pathetic. Absolutely nobody running to get themselves open, we just passed it around the back and turned it over for 10 minutes to end the game. Every single team we play against at home is going to bunker like this. Everybody watched the Final last year, they know the best chance at points at BMO is to park the bus for 90 minutes. We're literally going to deal with this all season. 10 minutes left against an opponent with no interest in posessing the ball and that's the urgency we show? Again the draw is whatever, it's the barely trying to win when the game is right there that pisses me off.

You're right.
If we would play like this the whole season no way in hell that we'd win more than half of our home games.
And if that would happen, would be a huge regression from the last 2 seasons.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-31-2017, 09:20 PM
Still very early in the season, the team is still nowhere from the form of last year's end.
There's about 3 more games admissible to get the act together.

Just nobody should forget the value of draws in the standings:
Drawing 3 games equals losing 2 games with 1 goal, and winning 1 game with 2 goals.

General Woolfe
03-31-2017, 09:29 PM
Another two points thrown away with lacklustre finishing. I suppose it's early days yet, and with so many teams making the play offs there's no need for panic yet. However, I would have thought after the bitter disappointment of losing out in the MLS final we might have targeted the Supporters Sheild this year as a means of making up that final performance to the fans.

Although there are no glaring problems with the side we are just not clicking as a team. Séba is a shadow of his former self and despite one or two nice touches Vazquez hasn't really brought much progress to the attacking midfield. Osorio continues to frustrate and we might as well face up to the fact he's not going to progress any further and what you see is what you get with him. On the plus side, Bono looked solid in the 2nd half, so much so I'm beginning to wonder if it was necessary to bring Irwin back from the expansion draft. Edwards had a good game on the left flank, although his decision making needs some work. There was enough promise from him however to suggest he has a solid future at the club. All in all not enough though. Vanney needs to get this team performing soon otherwise we are going to be consigned to a season of mid table mediocrity

Oldtimer
03-31-2017, 09:41 PM
Throw in the conditions tonight and we could well be looking at a 0-0 draw for our home opener. The Reds have really still to gel this season and the disruption to the side coupled with it being slick underfoot points towards a frustrating evening imo.
You called it 100%.

OgtheDim
03-31-2017, 09:45 PM
Gosh that was cold. Almost as annoying as the cup final for the quality of play. Team needs to move the ball faster. And Osorio... that was embarrassing.

Auzzy
03-31-2017, 10:18 PM
I was in the stadium. Yes the finishing and some other things were frustrating. However, very different from the MLS Cup mentioned above: TFC created a bunch of very good chances tonight, which was not the case in the Cup game.

ensco
03-31-2017, 10:19 PM
Ahh, you guys are too tough. It's fine. We should have won but then again we nearly lost it late.

That was a shining moment for Edwards but we missed Morrow. Edwards didn't have his quality on the final ball.

OgtheDim
03-31-2017, 10:33 PM
Fair enough. Just waiting for that offensive explosion.

FluSH
03-31-2017, 10:40 PM

Weather conditions were terrible... It might as well have been snow out there, it was freaking wet and cold!

MightyDM
03-31-2017, 11:12 PM
Ahh, you guys are too tough. It's fine. We should have won but then again we nearly lost it late.

That was a shining moment for Edwards but we missed Morrow. Edwards didn't have his quality on the final ball.

Agreed. Conditions and pitch were tough. Having a March game Friday night, come on league. Tomorrow at 3 would have been a better and different spectacle. Some good signs, some bad ones. I feel for Oso, he played very well. Except.

UpTheReds
03-31-2017, 11:22 PM
Still very early. This team will come good, they aren't even out of first gear yet.

ag futbol
03-31-2017, 11:23 PM

That was a shining moment for Edwards but we missed Morrow. Edwards didn't have his quality on the final ball.I thought Edwards was far better. He missed a few passes but generally he moved the ball quick and has the added bonus of taking guys 1v1.

I'd use that pass through to Ricketts as an example. No way Morrow sees that or gets it out of this feet on time.

I'd still see Morrow as the starter, but in a situation where we need goals badly Edwards will quickly prove his worth I think.

Give him a game or two and those passes will start hitting feet in the 6 yard box.

Ajax TFC
03-31-2017, 11:24 PM

Edwards is quite flashy, but put Morrow there and the ball is either finding a forward or being put on target and we walk away with at least a goal. It's probably too soon for Edwards to be starting games at this level. He could be much more effective at this point as a sub, when he can run at defenders with much less energy left than himself.

burlington Red
03-31-2017, 11:37 PM
Just got back from game. Haven't seen the replay back yet but that goal line clearance from Edwards was top class. Very assured performance from him. First half especially I like the way he looked up before he played his crosses.2nd half he had a bad one or two but liked what I saw.

Hamilton_Red
04-01-2017, 01:03 AM
Thought Edwards was out MOTM to be honest. He was the spark for us.

Giovinco sitter missed.
Osorio missed a sitter and sclaffed two shooting opportunities.
Vasquez look awful today & petulant.
Rickets doesn't seem the same player when he starts.
Bono - looks to be the #1 keeper

Entertaining game - our inability to score goals in open play is becoming a problem.

We should have won that game 2 or 3 - 1

Hamilton_Red
04-01-2017, 01:06 AM
I thought when Cooper came in we could relegate Osorio to the bench, I'd frankly rather have a rookie like Delgado over Osorio right about now.

Thought Vasquez should have come off... he was invisble, slow, and petulant. This game was crying out for Johnson who we are missing so far this year. None of Vazquez, Cooper, or Osorio are as good as he is... Vasquez will hopefully come good.

mistercorporate
04-01-2017, 01:44 AM
After some thought, I honestly think Edwards > Cooper > Osorio. Edwards should get the start as a CM, right next to Morrow at the far left. Osorio and Cooper should stick to the bench.

Altidore-Giovinco

Morrow-Edwards-Bradley-Vasquez-Beitashour

Hagglund-Moor-Zavaleta

Bono

OgtheDim
04-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Edwards spent a good chunk of his defensive work time running back to cover. He's not a playmaker and putting him in the mixer of the midfield would be a poor choice.

Ashton Morgan might need to find a new position.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-01-2017, 07:27 AM
Edwards spent a good chunk of his defensive work time running back to cover. He's not a playmaker and putting him in the mixer of the midfield would be a poor choice.

Ashton Morgan might need to find a new position. love Raheem the dream offensively, but defensively he's definitely lacking, has a lot to learn, also needs to practice shooting and get a bit more selfish

ag futbol
04-01-2017, 08:25 AM

Ashton Morgan might need to find a new position.
Yes I was going to say... remember graham zusi this game? Me either.

I was concerned the most about Edwards defender but that part was passable. Morrow still better on that side but for a rookie in his first game he did really well.

ensco
04-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Is watching Edwards last night some kind of rohrschach test? I can't remember seeing so many bizarrely different views of a single players game, as are on here about him last night.

He was more than fine for a rookie playing out of position on no notice.

Joe Kool
04-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Edwards for Morrow worked out a lot better than the Endoh for Beitashour experiment so I was happy enough. Once he learns more about the position he can be quite good. I won't be worried if he has to fill in for Morrow again but Beita better stay healthy. Was not impressed by how casual Zavaleta was at times. Have some urgency man....

reggie
04-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Ohhh-sorio jus shocking,i dont like ricketts has a starter,i rather play hamilton and ricketts has a 15 min sub,i dont like oso-vaz combo need more of a ball winner in that combo.

Kamp Berg
04-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Pretty shitty weather, 4th game of the season, bad history with KC, all in all, I'd say the boys did fine. Vasquez sees plays the other guys don't, would really like to see a Vasquez-Bradley-Cheyrou midfield at some point. I really hoped Osorio managed to exercise his scoring demon in the playoffs last year, but sadly, I guess not :( . Edwards really has something, I can see him as a big part of the future! Maybe the team could start selling more homegrowns al a LA? Would be a nice way to bolster the team with GAM :)
Should have been a 2-0 game. Someone owes me a piece of free pizza! Lol

Eastend
04-01-2017, 10:27 AM
With sooooo many different views I really hope this group never witnesses the same crime otherwise it would never get solved. lol.

Cold night, shitty conditions, very frustrating (and boring at times) performance but some positives.

...next...

Dom

TFC Tifoso
04-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Cold night, shitty conditions, very frustrating (and boring at times) performance but some positives.

...next...

ya just about my thoughts too.....

not thrilled about 1W and 3T out of 4 games but not the end of the world either.....we've kept 3 clean sheets, so definitely a positive there.
we know this team can and should score....its coming soon...chances are always being created, but finishing has been a bit off....and once it does, the wins will come with it.....

really impressed with the defensive record though.....and not at all concerned if Bono has to have an extended run as keeper....

OgtheDim
04-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Is watching Edwards last night some kind of rohrschach test? I can't remember seeing so many bizarrely different views of a single players game, as are on here about him last night.

He was more than fine for a rookie playing out of position on no notice.

He wasn't playing out of position. That's where he plays now LWB or LM.

OgtheDim
04-01-2017, 12:08 PM
On another note:

the whole "members get gate 3" thing would be best described as useless.

Only two lines for members - same number for non-members
No prescreen (I saw they were doing that at 3B but that line was slow too)
Non members lines opened before the members lines
Opened around 6:45 about 5 minutes after people, presumably from gate 1, were wandering around in behind the security
Nobody looked for the member card

Like...what's the point? So that SSH who park their car nearby arriving at 7:25 can get in quicker? It was slower then other gates and we got in the same as other people at gate 3. Makes no sense.

Either they go with 6 lines at gate 3 and open them up at the same time as every other gate or just scrap the whole idea.

Lennon
04-01-2017, 12:38 PM
I caught a ball and snuck it out of the stadium :D
Best part is this couple that was beside us. They arrive like 10 mins into the game and say that we're in their seats. There is plenty of space in the row for them but no they want to stand where we are standing. I say ok, no problem, and we switch seats.
Later after I catch the ball they tell me that it should be theirs because they were standing there first. I say buddy, you were the one that wanted to switch did you not? lol

Redpunkfiddle
04-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Sounds like something from bush league baseball.

Initial B
04-01-2017, 01:43 PM
I'll chalk that game up to the elements - it's miserable playing soccer in that weather.

That said, I think Osorio just played himself out of the starting lineup. I know Vanney gives everyone second chances, but when you misplay three chances like that, well, If there is any time to experiment with formations and personnel, it's at the beginning of the season.

Against Atlanta I think we see a Bradley-Vasquez-Cooper midfield.

mistercorporate
04-01-2017, 02:34 PM
I'll chalk that game up to the elements - it's miserable playing soccer in that weather.

That said, I think Osorio just played himself out of the starting lineup. I know Vanney gives everyone second chances, but when you misplay three chances like that, well, If there is any time to experiment with formations and personnel, it's at the beginning of the season.

Against Atlanta I think we see a Bradley-Vasquez-Cooper midfield.

Yes please!

69Chevy396
04-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Finally renewed season ticket, and was too sick to attend yesterdays game. Feel that I didn't miss much. On TV, they looked completely lost most of the game. Some observations:
- Bradley is playing extremely well, but he is going to burn out pretty soon if the other midfielders dont start effectively distributing the ball to the forwards. Seems lke 90 percent of the game was played within 5 meters of Bradley.
-Ricketts is showing us his value as a late game sub. For all his finesse and pace, he was mysteriously invisible most of the night.
-If one were to pick Giovinco's 3 worst games with TFC, they would, in my opinion, all be in 2017.
-Bono is the best keeper in Canada
-Defenders were excellent against a tough opponent
-Edwards has a lot of promise
-Osorio probably playing himself off of the starting lineup. In soccer, good teams often get less than five good scoring attempts. Osorio missed on 3 of them. Again. He is decent enough playing in his own end, but should never be the last boot on the ball. Waving his arms up in frustration demonstrates this guy has zero confidence to go along with his woeful scoring ability. He is young. Perhaps a move to the wing, or defender would be better suited to him.

SirBobSaget
04-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Last season Osorio frustrated because he would never try the shot, instead would go for one last dribble (and lose the ball) or pass it off. Now I see why he doesn't shoot. Just watched 18 yo Tabla score from outside the box, it was a weak low shot, but guess what? It was on net!

OgtheDim
04-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Vanney talking after the game indicating the biggest issues was not finishing but almost as important was the backline not "hitting passes that were there" and instead passing it around.

C.Ronaldo
04-01-2017, 08:32 PM
I can see Chapman playing a bigger role soon

OgtheDim
04-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Listening to the post game, we probably go with Cooper, Vasquez & Bradley in the midfield next game. He really wants to get Vasquez, Altidore & Giovinco going together.

I also think he might replace Zavaletta with Hernandez. Not happy with the lack of urgency out of the back line.

SirBobSaget
04-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Vanney talking after the game indicating the biggest issues was not finishing but almost as important was the backline not "hitting passes that were there" and instead passing it around.
Very true. Bradley was shadowed by like 2 players so he wanst allowed to be the one to make the key pass.
SKC pretty much allowed the defenders to doddle on the ball all they wanted.
Countless times saw the attackers make runs that would put them through on goal only for the defender to pass laterely.
The attackers stopped bothering. A defender with some passing range would be huge.

69Chevy396
04-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Very true. Bradley was shadowed by like 2 players so he wanst allowed to be the one to make the key pass.
SKC pretty much allowed the defenders to doddle on the ball all they wanted.
Countless times saw the attackers make runs that would put them through on goal only for the defender to pass laterely.
The attackers stopped bothering. A defender with some passing range would be huge.
Like ....Damien Perquis?

OgtheDim
04-02-2017, 08:13 AM
All 5 of the current CD's have passing range - the issue is the 3 in Friday chose not to use it.

JohnnyEnglish
04-02-2017, 08:50 AM
All 5 of the current CD's have passing range - the issue is the 3 in Friday chose not to use it.

The problem is most sides will come to BMO and play like Kansas this season. Sitting deep and forcing the ball in to a predicable phase of play. There was hardly any movement between their lines, forcing Bradley to receive the ball 10 yards deeper than for example, against Vancover.
Far too often Bradley received the ball at the tip of a triangle, with his only option to move the ball backwards or sideways.

jloome
04-02-2017, 10:21 AM
The problem is most sides will come to BMO and play like Kansas this season. Sitting deep and forcing the ball in to a predicable phase of play. There was hardly any movement between their lines, forcing Bradley to receive the ball 10 yards deeper than for example, against Vancover.
Far too often Bradley received the ball at the tip of a triangle, with his only option to move the ball backwards or sideways.

KC played our shape really well, sending two forwards to pressure Bradley and force quicker outlet passes. It was smart. They also triple-teamed Seba whenever he was near the edge of the box. KC won't score a ton this year but Vermes has them playing good defense that's for sure.

jloome
04-02-2017, 10:26 AM
He wasn't playing out of position. That's where he plays now LWB or LM.

Fuck I hope not. He's not a wingback; he wasn't one at TFC II, he's never played there except now with the first team, and both his crossing and defending are suspect. And he wasn't playing LM, so he was definitely out of position (even if that's their continued intent).

But he's a great winger, potentially. Fucking waste if we move him to fullback/wb. His defense will doubtless improve, but he should be spending his time with the first team beating FBs and CBs on the run, which is what he's great at.

EDIT: As for his performance, I would call it mixed. He had some great moments because he has great talent, but he had some positional brain farts and he skied two crosses.

ensco
04-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Fuck I hope not. He's not a wingback; he wasn't one at TFC II, he's never played there except now with the first team, and both his crossing and defending are suspect. And he wasn't playing LM, so he was definitely out of position (even if that's their continued intent).

But he's a great winger, potentially. Fucking waste if we move him to fullback/wb. His defense will doubtless improve, but he should be spending his time with the first team beating FBs and CBs on the run, which is what he's great at.

EDIT: As for his performance, I would call it mixed. He had some great moments because he has great talent, but he had some positional brain farts and he skied two crosses.

100% the way I saw it. Except he had more than two bad crosses.

Like I said, the breadth of comments about Edwards post game is weird. It's like 25 people watched 25 different games. (except you and I watched the same game I guess!)

ag futbol
04-02-2017, 10:49 AM
I'd say Moore has some, the other two it's a function of having time on the ball. If put under pressure they aim straight up the field often. Nobody has the passing range perquis had, of course that never made up for his brain farts defensively but I digress.

I think the wet weather hurt our usual game plan at home a bit. I think we'd be moving the ball faster otherwise and be a little more effective. Also think we've been getting some bum luck from officials. We're getting kicked off the park in midfield and that's hurting the buildup. By the point they fouled Seba for the fourth time in the second half the ref should have gone to his pocket for persistent infringement. And some of the counter attacks that were snuffed out by synical fouls should have been called as well. Swallowing your whistle to "let the game flow" doesn't work when you have teams that are always going to test limits in terms of the amount of physical play involved.

Auzzy
04-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Drew Moor's passing was awful on Friday, at least anytime he tried to pass a bit farther. KC noticed that and left him even more room & time to make a long pass, while closing other avenues off. I don't know if it was the weather, or just Moor having an off day. Also KC is really good at sitting just a bit behind the attacker, waiting for a pass, and then rushing in to cut it off. Long passes have to be 100% perfect against them, and most TFC players couldn't do that on Friday. KC still plays lots of the 90-minute track meet style.

I agree they pressed Bradley hard on Friday, but there's another issue: Bradley rarely has a forward pass in mind before he receives a pass. He's used to being given plenty of space, looking around, and often hitting an excellent long pass if he has the time. KC didn't allow that time. Other teams will take note.

Alan Kelley was good when he arrived. For a while though, he seems to be calling based on reputation and not on what's happening on the field. Giovinco and Altidore are badgered too often, but I guess Kelley has decided that they're fakers. On the flip side, he calls some weak fouls against them.

OgtheDim
04-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Fuck I hope not. He's not a wingback; he wasn't one at TFC II, he's never played there except now with the first team....

FWIW, he played LWB in Phoenix with TFCII a week ago. Team doesn't use FB's right now (although I think a 4-3-3 is going to happen eventually, just to give other teams pause). Team doesn't use straight wingers in a flat 4-4-2.

jloome
04-02-2017, 05:19 PM
FWIW, he played LWB in Phoenix with TFCII a week ago. Team doesn't use FB's right now (although I think a 4-3-3 is going to happen eventually, just to give other teams pause). Team doesn't use straight wingers in a flat 4-4-2.

His best position (I think) would be as a winger/wide forward, or a secondary striker behind the target guy. He's really good with the ball at his feet and could create havoc running at back lines. Certainly, he'd create a ton of space. None of this fits our current style, so they're pigeonholing him as a a wingback.

Canary10
04-03-2017, 09:13 AM
This game went just as I expected unfortunately. KC are a pretty decent defensive side. I'm glad we can play that kind of game and not fold as we used to - that shows our improvement at the back over the past two years. But we still aren't making BMO a fortress.

When I was picking my fantasy team I passed over Giovinco on the theory he can't play in bad weather. Which he showed again on Friday. When we hit playoffs, let's hope we come third or higher and play southern opponents.

Yohan
04-03-2017, 09:27 AM
This game went just as I expected unfortunately. KC are a pretty decent defensive side. I'm glad we can play that kind of game and not fold as we used to - that shows our improvement at the back over the past two years. But we still aren't making BMO a fortress.

When I was picking my fantasy team I passed over Giovinco on the theory he can't play in bad weather. Which he showed again on Friday. When we hit playoffs, let's hope we come third or higher and play southern opponents.
It's unfortunate that Giovinco is suffering from Pablo Vitti-itis. Gets into great scoring chances but just can't put it away. He needs to score. That saved PK hurt his confidence a bit. Hopefully he'll get an easy goal vs Atlanta defence and get back on the goal streak.

At least I no longer worry about late game collapses we're so used to seeing with previous TFC teams. Teams fear TFC and bunker and give TFC a lot of respect. Still getting used to that.

ensco
04-03-2017, 09:50 AM
^ His visible anger out there tells me something is wrong. That is not just a guy working through a slump. (Altidore the first ten games last year, that was a guy working through a slump.)

I am getting a bit suspicious that Gio's injury from last summer isn't OK. He hasn't been remotely the same since he came back from that late last year.

molenshtain
04-03-2017, 10:02 AM
^ His visible anger out there tells me something is wrong. That is not just a guy working through a slump. (Altidore the first ten games last year, that was a guy working through a slump.)

I am getting a bit suspicious that Gio's injury from last summer isn't OK. He hasn't been remotely the same since he came back from that late last year.

5 goals and 4 assists in the playofffs. Seba had a similiar run of poor form last summer and he turned around pretty spectacularly before his injury.

Some guys have slumps. the season is early. let's see how he's doing in june when we're in mid-season form.

Canary10
04-03-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm telling you he can't play in the cold.

TFC1154ever
04-03-2017, 10:25 AM
I actually thought he was very dangerous on Friday for the first time since game 2 against New York. He was buzzing, made a couple of beautiful passes, and stuck his free kick well for the time in a long time. If you guys are focusing on one play where he couldn't get a foot on it, I would go rewatch the game and focus on him.

trane
04-03-2017, 10:33 AM
To be honest I think we played ok. We kept shape, we kept the ball for the most part, and we kept it in their end for the most part, we were just not crisp enough in the final third.

Had Jozy and Seba played the entire 90, I am confident we would have scored 1 or 2.

As others commented KC played good organized football. In some ways it is a sign of the league getting better, were clubs can play organized footy to get points on the road, even if they have the inferior talent. We have to learn to deal with it.

More effective attacking play from the wings could have also made the difference. Not that it was terrible. But last year's Morrow could have created more for us.

Section_105
04-03-2017, 11:29 AM
going to add my stadium and armchair notes to this.

we started like we left half the team in the tunnel. luckily we weathered the onfield storm.

The pitch was obviously wet from the crap conditions (sunday game would have been awesome this week) so the ball was just zinging along. But from what I've read the pitch had a bit of sand in it to keep it in one piece this early (haven't confirmed this with the Grounds crew yet). wet - ball moves faster. sand - feet move slower. I'm using this as an excuse for Oso who was so unlucky and for Drew who just couldn't find a good touch all game. Both teams were missing easy passes/touches all over the pitch.

Edwards had an excellent debut-start for a rookie with some definite room for improvement. The way he got goal side on some of the runners to cut off 6 yard box passes was unexpected and good. The goal line clearance was amazing but there were a number of other opportunities he cut off after coming back from way too far downfield. Near the end of the game he was just bagged and I would have liked to see Jozy for him to run a 4-3-3 for 10 minutes and then cooper for Ricketts to close out the winning position (yes....optimistic) in 442. but what the funk do I know :)

there were a couple of Seba-vazquez interchanges that were sublime. Two players that are both so gifted and know where the other will go. that relationship will result in some goals this year without a doubt.

frustrating game but with the conditions and the lineup issues it turned out okay.

see ya'll saturday.

MightyDM
04-03-2017, 05:42 PM

This has the ring of truth. And it's a concern.

MightyDM
04-03-2017, 05:45 PM
To be honest I think we played ok. We kept shape, we kept the ball for the most part, and we kept it in their end for the most part, we were just not crisp enough in the final third.

Had Jozy and Seba played the entire 90, I am confident we would have scored 1 or 2.

As others commented KC played good organized football. In some ways it is a sign of the league getting better, were clubs can play organized footy to get points on the road, even if they have the inferior talent. We have to learn to deal with it.

More effective attacking play from the wings could have also made the difference. Not that it was terrible. But last year's Morrow could have created more for us.

i agree with this. Edwards is having a great start, but that masks mistakes- like taking a touch before crossing which lets the defenders back rather than an immediate touch which gives his teammates the edge.

trane
04-03-2017, 06:16 PM
^ To be clear I did not mind Edwards performance.

MightyDM
04-04-2017, 09:29 AM
^ To be clear I did not mind Edwards performance.

I agree, I thought he showed great promise. But some of the comments here are blind to the areas he needs to improve.

TheGoodson
04-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Further to the comments on Edwards performance, there was a lot of great things he did positionally and defensively. That being said he needs to work at getting a cross in as he had a handful opportunities to whip in a cross and they were terrible attempts and he needs to work on his finishing. It seems that most of the team has an issue with finishing.

I feel that if Morrow was healthy, he would have buried at least one of the chances that Edwards had. But that being said it nice to see a kid come through the academy and have such potential to be an influential player going forward for TFC and eventually Canada

notthesun
04-04-2017, 12:31 PM

You know, I had the same thought after the first game and a half this season and I said so on here, but my honest look at his performance this game was that he was back to his usual self. Against RSL and the first half he played in Philly, I thought he lacked agility the same way I remember him vs. Montreal and Seattle in the playoffs. Just lacking that quickness, his ability to be shifty with the ball, he was getting closed down and didn't seem to have an answer.

I didn't see that this game though. KC played smothering defensive football so the biggest problem with him was just getting him the ball in an area where he could do damage - there were similarly "quiet" games from him last year where the issue was the same. But when he dropped deep for the ball, he wasn't just passing off, he was turning on his man and playing the ball into good areas. A few times pulled multiple defenders with him before getting it wide to Edwards. I didn't see him lose possession very often, even in tough spots, as opposed to his first game and a half. And that free kick was classic Seba, nearly perfect, to my recollection the first one he's even gotten over the wall since the playoffs last year. I thought he looked good, we just gave him barely a look offensively (like how Altidore came off the bench basically to just get a yellow card - we couldn't get him on the ball at all, and we know he's in good form).

boozilla
04-05-2017, 02:33 AM
Even in the warm-up last Friday Seba was blasting most shots wide and never looked himself during the game.
Sometimes, when talented dribblers change leagues, they flourish at first and eventually stagnate.
In time, they may get 'found out' by defenders or just adapt their play to their surroundings.
When Diego Costa first joined Bayern Munich, his moves made defenders question their profession, now he's on the bench.
Closer to home, early TFC J. Plata was an unpredictable menace turning folks inside and out. Not so much anymore.
Gio has shown that he is special and I hope to see it again soon.

ensco
04-05-2017, 05:15 AM
I don't see the separation, the little tiny burst that Gio has shown, that is the key to his game. With it, he's lethal. Without it, just another guy.

The weather really could be part of it, too.

burlington Red
04-05-2017, 06:30 AM
Even in the warm-up last Friday Seba was blasting most shots wide and never looked himself during the game.
Sometimes, when talented dribblers change leagues, they flourish at first and eventually stagnate.
In time, they may get 'found out' by defenders or just adapt their play to their surroundings.
When Diego Costa first joined Bayern Munich, his moves made defenders question their profession, now he's on the bench.
Closer to home, early TFC J. Plata was an unpredictable menace turning folks inside and out. Not so much anymore.
Gio has shown that he is special and I hope to see it again soon.

he had a bit of a slump last season at one stage too then came round. I thought this was the first game where I could see glimpses of him, still not 100% but better.I'll give it another couple of games before I get too worried. I don't think the whole team has really clicked yet, I think once Vasquez finds his feet, I think he and Giovinco could be very good together. Seen a couple of little interactions between them that suggests they will click.
Re Bayern I think you mean Douglas Costa, Diego plays for Chelsea.

boozilla
04-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Right, I meant Douglas. Diego is an unlikable streaky thug.
Although, Vasquez has the experience, patience and quality to dictate play (I hope Bradley is taking notes), in the past Seba did not have to rely on others to shine.
Vasquez won't fix Gio. Seba has to figure it out himself.

Canary10
04-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Right, I meant Douglas. Diego is an unlikable streaky thug.
Although, Vasquez has the experience, patience and quality to dictate play (I hope Bradley is taking notes), in the past Seba did not have to rely on others to shine.
Vasquez won't fix Gio. Seba has to figure it out himself.

Not to get in a debate about something that has nothing to do with the thread, but Diego Costa has probably been the most consistent striker in the EPL this season. I'd say he's been the opposite of streaky. Unlikable? Yeah for sure.