PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Jul.30

denime
07-30-2008, 06:06 AM
No TFC news for now.

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

Oldtimer
07-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Mallett brings money, management skills to Vancouver’s MLS bid

Jim Jamieson, Canwest News Service Published: Tuesday, July 29, 2008

VANCOUVER -- NBA star Steve Nash may have provided the glitz for last week's Vancouver Whitecaps announcement of an official bid for a Major League Soccer franchise, but another B.C.-born high achiever may turn out to the most valuable player.
Jeff Mallett, an icon of the Internet technology boom that lit up stock markets from the mid-to-late 1990s, was also introduced as being a member of the group supporting the Whitecaps' MLS bid. Mallett, 43, was one of the first 12 employees at Yahoo! Inc. in 1995 when the Internet was first becoming commercialized and helped transform the fledgling company into a billion dollar business with 4,000 workers as president and chief operating officer before he left in 2002.
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=688420

The kids were nervous as they ran onto the vast green of BMO Field at Exhibition Place.Shouting and smiling, the trepidation dissipated as they were greeted and cheered on by members of England's West Ham United Football Club.
It was an experience the participants of the Academic and Sports Enrichment (ASE) Summer Camp would normally never have had - not only the opportunity to be on the BMO field but to have world-famous soccer players practice with them.
The West Ham United team joined the group of 40 boys and 10 girls from Regent Park, Moss Park and Riverdale on July 25.
http://www.insidetoronto.ca/News/EastYork/article/52744

Major League Soccer's international transfer window is open and teams are making deals. But the protracted saga of Brian McBride's return to MLS from England's Fulham FC shows how many hurdles a soccer transaction can clear before it's official.
Chicago can be patient. McBride, a three-time World Cup player, won't play in MLS until after the Olympics. Toronto could use Barrett now as Danny Dichio is out with a concussion, and coach John Carver told the Toronto Star that Jeff Cunningham isn't in the team's long-range plans.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/mls/2008-07-29-Notes_N.htm

Words cannot express the "appreciation" I feel for Chicago right now. :incazzato:

TicTacTabarnack
07-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Words cannot express the "appreciation" I feel for Chicago right now. :incazzato:

I'm sure that they are simply returning the favour... Too bad Garber's not doing anything about it.

We seriously have to look into this 4 party negotiations thing. Too many variables and red tape. Dealing with the MLS is probably just as bad as trying to deal with the Federal Government and their procurement process. At least they have somewhat started to streamline it.

rocker
07-30-2008, 08:17 AM
i wonder if the union has anything to say about this trade?
I don't think they could be happy that one of their guys, a perfectly healthy Chad Barrett, is in limbo because of some shenanigans by Chicago.

Pigfynn
07-30-2008, 09:39 AM
how about demanding completion of the deal or pulling out?!!!!!!????

Roogsy
07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
^ QFT

For real...I would definitely put a clause in that states if validation of the deal does not occur within a stated period of time...all bets are off.

olegunnar
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
I wonder what Garber thinks.
The Fire are making him look like a fool. He was on ESPN a week ago saying the deal was done.
Are the MLS offices so mickey mouse they can't process a trade in a week?

Shakes McQueen
07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
how about demanding completion of the deal or pulling out?!!!!!!????

If Mo has already signed and submitted the paperwork on our end, he may not have that option.

- Scott

Oldtimer
07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
If Mo has already signed and submitted the paperwork on our end, he may not have that option.

- Scott

Exactly. You go into negotiations expecting good faith on the other party's part, especially when they are co-owners of the league. Obviously, he won't be very trusting of Chicago in the future. As mlsintoronto has said, they have long memories.

Carts
07-30-2008, 11:13 AM
It "appears" pressing the Fire and/or the league is not helping getting this done right now...

Barret is a member of the Players Union - so its time (they may have already / probably have) press the Union and get a healthy, available player, out of limbo and on the pitch...

We have long memories yes - but if we don't start scoring soon, we may have another long off-season... :(

Carts...

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Chicago is purposely fucking us because we're a conference rival....they are the ones that have been dragging their feet this entire time. Don't be fooled into thinking it was us. This deal could have been done a long time ago, but McBride wasn't coming anytime soon so they dragged it out and pointed the finger at us for their fans.

You know what makes me happy...the thought that Barrett will sit two games before Garber gets pissed and expedites the deal and then McBride gets hurt in the Olympics. This will bite Chicago in the ass at some point. They've fucked TFC and NYRB this year. Next time one of those teams has a discovery claim on a player they want......go fuck yourself.

sidvan
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
TFC deal done

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that they have acquired forward Chad Barrett, a 2009 1st round MLS SuperDraft pick, and conditional future considerations for forward Brian McBride. Toronto used the top slot in the allocation ranking to acquire McBride.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080730&content_id=176638&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280