PDA

View Full Version : Other MLS Games - March 11-12th

OgtheDim
03-10-2017, 07:32 AM
No Games Friday Night

Saturday
RSL @ Chicago 2pm - This is looking like a pretty lame game to be honest. Both teams are trying to figure out who they are. Probably a 0-0 tie.

Orlando @ NER 2pm - POSTPONED DUE TO EXPECTED BAD WEATHER

Colorado @ NYRB 4pm - the meeting of the two most self absorbed chippy "nobody gives us any respect" teams in MLS - most of this game is going to be played in Colorado's end - NYRB wins 4-0

Seattle @ Montreal 7pm - May the Olympic carpet just open up and swallow these two team's supporter groups whole. As for the game, a 1-1 tie.

CBus @ Houston 8:30pm - Built cheap, offensively interesting teams with midfields and defences that got issues. 3-2 for Houston.

FCD @ SKC 9pm - Game of the Week. Dallas is bound to have a drop off game after such a good start to the season. SKC knows how to pass the ball around too. 3-2 win for SKC

Vancouver @ San Jose 10pm - Vancouver's next week is a game in San Jose, a game in Mexico and then us at home. I'm thinking this game is the one they decide to coast through. San Jose wins 2-0.

Sunday

DCU @ NYCFC 2pm - DCU is quietly building a decent team and is set up well to play in Yankee Stadium. Still not sold on the Pigeon's defence. This game will see a lot of goals. 4-3 win for the home team.

Atlanta @ Minnesota 5pm - Both teams want to move the ball around but the Loons just are not as good position vs. position. Going to be VERY cold though. 1-1 tie.

Portland @ LAG 7pm - When one team plays Dallas and another Minnesota, comparisons for the next game are not really possible. We will get a better handle on how good these teams are this week. 3-1 win for LAG

Yohan
03-10-2017, 10:17 AM
Hunts own Dallas FYI. IIRC AEG and their partner boxing guy owns Houston

OgtheDim
03-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Thanks edited - still built cheap.

OgtheDim
03-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Nobody wants to go out in the cold to suburban Chicago it seems. Looking empty.

Below freezing -2.

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2017, 02:35 PM
First Chicago goal was a total fluke but the second was very decent.

notthesun
03-11-2017, 02:46 PM
RSL has Glad still out and Schuler injured, so they're starting Schmidt, a 2nd round pick in this year's draft, at CB beside Horst. Also missing Plata. As soon as I heard that I grabbed Accam on fantasy, maybe should've went with Nikolic though. Not sure this is gonna get much better for RSL.

molenshtain
03-11-2017, 02:50 PM
that first goal was Inzaghiesque.

Auzzy
03-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Good non-offside call on the first Chicago goal, by Kevin Stott & crew. (Surprise!) I thought it was a bad call first, but the pass clearly came from the RSL defender.

Too bad TFC wasn't able to score a couple on RSL last week. They aren't very good (plus missing more players today).

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2017, 03:24 PM
I waited on this, to give them a break for late arrivals...but I don't think the attendance at TP broke 10K. It's as empty as I've ever seen it for a Fire match, including pissing rain and blizzards.

kodiakTFC
03-11-2017, 03:44 PM
I waited on this, to give them a break for late arrivals...but I don't think the attendance at TP broke 10K. It's as empty as I've ever seen it for a Fire match, including pissing rain and blizzards.

The state of Chicago is quite sad. Its such a major market that is just being pissed away. New England is similar but at least their crowds are acceptable; I do fear for their future though. Thankfully DC is turning it around with the new stadium downtown. I really hope that after this round of expansion the league begins to look inward and fix its struggling markets.

OgtheDim
03-11-2017, 03:59 PM
You know, Chicago isn't all that good either. Their defence can be had.

Hamilton_Red
03-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Making our result last week look a little weak to be honest. RSL is not the team they used to be. Hope we see some spark today.

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2017, 04:12 PM
The state of Chicago is quite sad. Its such a major market that is just being pissed away. New England is similar but at least their crowds are acceptable; I do fear for their future though. Thankfully DC is turning it around with the new stadium downtown. I really hope that after this round of expansion the league begins to look inward and fix its struggling markets.

I doubt that a winning season would be enough to get people back into TP. It may take an ownership group willing to spend breathtaking amounts of money to settle up on TP with the town of Bridgeview and to build a stadium closer to downtown (building downtown is so beyond possibility it's not even worth discussing). The conventional wisdom is that a NASL team in Chicago would immediately get traction but finding a stadium solution is preventing that from happening.

OgtheDim
03-11-2017, 04:16 PM
I spent the second half of that game watching a stream with no commentary (the Chicago guys are particularly homer and annoying) I was reminded that the Fire supporters have only 1 chant.

kodiakTFC
03-11-2017, 05:05 PM
I doubt that a winning season would be enough to get people back into TP. It may take an ownership group willing to spend breathtaking amounts of money to settle up on TP with the town of Bridgeview and to build a stadium closer to downtown (building downtown is so beyond possibility it's not even worth discussing). The conventional wisdom is that a NASL team in Chicago would immediately get traction but finding a stadium solution is preventing that from happening.

From what I understand, the Fire are locked into an awful lease with TP. Furthermore, that stadium has had an awful economic impact and I sincerely doubt anyone else will be willing to foot the bill. Chicago is going to be a long-term concern but an ownership change and spending would help.

OgtheDim
03-11-2017, 08:25 PM
For some reason, the old dudes of Montreal play better on that concrete pitch at Olympic Stadium then anywhere else.

ag futbol
03-11-2017, 08:28 PM
^ is that game on tv anywhere? Or at least YouTube.

I can't do the spyware anymore on some of those streams.

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2017, 08:29 PM
BTW, the box score lists the attendance in Chicago as 13,024. I chuckled, I know what I saw on the tv.

OgtheDim
03-11-2017, 08:31 PM
http://firstrowca.eu/watch/520434/1/watch-montreal-impact-vs-seattle-sounders-fc-.html

Use all the usual blockers.

Its the feed with only crowd noise.

Prof
03-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Nobody wants to go out in the cold to suburban Chicago it seems. Looking empty.

Below freezing -2.

You do realize the stadium is only 15 miles downtown. There are other issues I think.

ag futbol
03-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Montreal blows a 2 goal lead in the last 20 minutes of the game. I leave happy.

That's what you get for bunkering and clearing your lines everytime you get the ball. Tactically shameful.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Bwahahahaha...
It was tic-tac tabernac time at the Limp Act's home ground.
They blew the win in the 95 th minute, after in the 55th minute was 2-0.

ag futbol
03-11-2017, 09:14 PM
You do realize the stadium is only 15 miles downtown. There are other issues I think.
In equivalent terms: it's only in Markham, Richmond Hill, Mississauga.

Would TFC be successful if the team was playing out of one of these locations? The distance is pretty much the same (between 14-16 miles)

OgtheDim
03-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Fire supporters have said the location is an issue.

The Impact got stamina issues.

OgtheDim
03-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Ok its only CBUS but Cubo Torres seems to be back.

stevep
03-11-2017, 10:34 PM
watched vancouver san jose game for about 5 minutes then turned it off
there is no sound of stadium noise its turned off and the two commentators are doing play by play from a studio somewhere in Canada
tacky!! its really strange

Hamilton_Red
03-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Great start for the Whitecaps B team. Osted just got sent off - great news for us on saturday. They have away trip to Mexico next week - so we really have to take advantage on Saturday.

ag futbol
03-11-2017, 10:55 PM
They fixed the stadium noise issue. Ousted made a really strange decision with that one.

2-1 now.

OgtheDim
03-12-2017, 02:01 PM
DCU making NYC look organized. The Pigeons look decent going forward but that defence has been opened up a number of times already. Relying upon Pirlo to be the only DM is going to cost them points.

DCU's defence can't handle speed at them.

Detroit_TFC
03-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Sean Johnson is an major upgrade in goal for NYC compared to Saunders.

CBTFC
03-12-2017, 03:35 PM
just went out for an afternoon trek to tommy thompson park and back home, in time to get settled in and watch the minnesota/atlanta match. it is damn chilly there, and they're in the midst of a snowstorm.

bring on the orange ball!

notthesun
03-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Minnesota... they're claiming the wooden spoon by a god damn mile. I'll be surprised if they win even 5 games.

I don't get it, didn't they receive a truckload of allocation like Atlanta? Why haven't they spent it? If you're going to pinch pennies and stay away from DPs fine, but at least use what's available to sign some competent players. Their back line is a complete mess.

BritSOL
03-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Any good streams? Using Mobdro to watch via skysports, but it is very choppy.

Montreal use a leaf blower to dry painted lines, Minnesota use one to clear snow from the lines!!

notthesun
03-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Minnesota is a shitshow but Atlanta can be pretty scrambled on defense themselves. Still see them fighting for the 5th-6th spots in the East this year.

OgtheDim
03-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Snow games are such a crapshoot.

CBTFC
03-12-2017, 05:36 PM
I had a feeling Atlanta were looking to be a bit better than Minnesota, but not by this margin.

Atlanta is destined for a playoff spot already, while Minnesota are already in a death spiral. Yes I know it's only been two games, but the evidence is there.

Smokecell
03-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Minnesota is still in the NASL as far as I can tell, and with that said I think their NASL team from last year would fare better

OgtheDim
03-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Hattrick for the guy from Venezuela - who happened to have played in Sweden so knows how to play in these conditions.

Areathrasher
03-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Hattrick for the guy from Venezuela - who happened to have played in Sweden so knows how to play in these conditions.

He played in Switzerland

james
03-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Really surprised they let Minnesota host a home game in March....Toronto has never even hosted a home game until end of March as far as I can remember. And Minnesota winters on average get more annual snow fall and average quite colder winters.

Detroit_TFC
03-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Really surprised they let Minnesota host a home game in March....Toronto has never even hosted a home game until end of March as far as I can remember. And Minnesota winters on average get more annual snow fall and average quite colder winters.

I was too. Like it or not, there will need to be some geographically determined scheduling, even if that creates some unusually long home/away sequences.

james
03-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Off topic slightly but Since I mentioned Minnesota weather I thot id check what statistics say. Here's the cities in MLS with most annual snowfall:
(Some teams play outside of the city where stats my change a bit)

1) Montreal 209cm
2) Salt Lake City 142cm
3) Minneapolis 137cm (st.paul 128cm)
4) Denver 136 cm
5) Toronto 121 cm
6) Boston 111cm
7) Chicago 93cm
8) NY 63cm
9) Philly 56 cm

just for fun Vancouver average 44cm

james
03-12-2017, 08:02 PM
And here's the colder cities in MLS (I am going by month of March annual average daily low temperature)

1) Montreal -7 (high +3)
2) Minneapolis -4 (high +5)
3) Denver -3 (high 12)
4) Toronto -2 ( high +5)
Chicago -2 (high +8)
5) Boston 0 (high +7)
6) Salk Lake +1 (high +12)
Philly +1 (high +12)
7) NY + 2 (high +10)

for fun Vancouver +3 (high +10)

all this said March is a weird month and the difference between end of March can be very different to the beginning of March. Also Northern Cities in America, Canada, and Some Russian cities have some of the fastest changing weather temperatures in the world (most cities in Europe for example can not change 15- over 20 degrees in a matter of 24 hours)

james
03-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Overall you'd think a city like Minneapolis/ St. Paul just would play at least the first 3 home games away, and maybe not host the first home until at least the last weekend of March or first weekend of April, like TFC has seemed to always do. That I can remember anyways.

6-1 final loss tho vs Atlanta.....I know snow might make a shit show, but wow! Lol

General Woolfe
03-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Any good streams? Using Mobdro to watch via skysports, but it is very choppy.

Montreal use a leaf blower to dry painted lines, Minnesota use one to clear snow from the lines!!
I don't think a "good stream" existed mate given it was a near whiteout at times. I could barely tell the uniforms apart and the ball had a habit of "disappearing". I only knew the fifth Atlanta goal went in by the reaction of the crowd. I might need to consider getting MLS live this season as internet streams have been poor quality this season so far. Many of them without commentary

I think Atlanta might cause a few upsets this season and if their first two games are anything to go by could well make a playoff berth. Bocanegra has done a good job down there. Martino has the credentials to be a successful coach in this league and I like the ways he sets up his sides to push forward and attack. Both Martinez and Almirante look the real deal as DPs and they still have Guzan to cone in between the sticks come summer.

SoccMan2
03-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Well must say Atlanta looked good last week too for most of the game, so far this team does not look like your typical expansion team, they have a very Liga Mex look to them actually.

OgtheDim
03-13-2017, 06:37 AM
He played in Switzerland LOL OK, ESPN blew it then. They said he played in Sweden.

Initial B
03-13-2017, 11:41 AM
I don't get it, didn't they receive a truckload of allocation like Atlanta? Why haven't they spent it? If you're going to pinch pennies and stay away from DPs fine, but at least use what's available to sign some competent players. Their back line is a complete mess.
They're realizing the main person they brought in to anchor the backline doesn't have the speed or physicality to handle MLS. Minnesota was always build bare bones and expected to shore up weaknesses using the summer transfer window. I don't think they expected to place anywhere but last this year, planning to be much better when they get their new stadium next year.

woolly
03-13-2017, 02:40 PM
I don't think a "good stream" existed mate given it was a near whiteout at times. I could barely tell the uniforms apart and the ball had a habit of "disappearing". I only knew the fifth Atlanta goal went in by the reaction of the crowd. I might need to consider getting MLS live this season as internet streams have been poor quality this season so far. Many of them without commentary

I think Atlanta might cause a few upsets this season and if their first two games are anything to go by could well make a playoff berth. Bocanegra has done a good job down there. Martino has the credentials to be a successful coach in this league and I like the ways he sets up his sides to push forward and attack. Both Martinez and Almirante look the real deal as DPs and they still have Guzan to cone in between the sticks come summer.

I'm really disappointed in MLS Live this year. I Re-subbed only to find out that all but about 5 TFC games will be blacked out because they will be show on TSN (and bumped by curling. obv.)

Thomas
03-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Me too. I use to be able to use my Android box, then sign into the MLS app using my MLS Live credentials. Not anymore. I guess they closed that loop hole. Time for VPN mask.

I'm really disappointed in MLS Live this year. I Re-subbed only to find out that all but about 5 TFC games will be blacked out because they will be show on TSN (and bumped by curling. obv.)

Prof
03-13-2017, 04:07 PM
In equivalent terms: it's only in Markham, Richmond Hill, Mississauga.

Would TFC be successful if the team was playing out of one of these locations? The distance is pretty much the same (between 14-16 miles)
Actually closer to North York.

Dunkers
03-13-2017, 04:15 PM

I hate to burst your bubble but all TFC games will be on TSN (some buried on TSN9 or whatever it goes up to). All games on TSN will be blacked out, so no live TFC on MLSLive. I have not heard if anyone was able to use a VPN this year, as I thought I heard about a crackdown on VPN by MLSLive but cant verify.

https://www.torontofc.ca/schedule
https://live.mlssoccer.com/support/blackout

Auzzy
03-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Did anyone confirm if the TFC Philly game was really blacked out on MLS Live?

I had first contacted them late January to get confirmation about the blackout rules: no response. Then I sent another message last minute to cancel my renewal. Also no response, and I only noticed this weekend that they ignored the cancellation and deducted the money from my credit card anyway.

Before the Philly game, I logged onto MLS Live, but they no longer seem to have detailed blackout info there. (On the old website, you could click a button on the schedule to see what will be blocked. That doesn't seem to exist anymore.) I watched the Philly game at Shoeless, but afterwards I went home & checked MLS Live again. Blocked games should normally be blocked for 48 hours, but I could start the TFC game on MLS Live immediately afterwards w/o a problem, and w/o a VPN.

I wonder, maybe the blocking isn't working yet, and everything is still available? Reading online (e.g., Big Soccer) it seems that many features of the new MLS Live don't work yet. It would be great if the blocking is also not in place yet.

OgtheDim
03-14-2017, 06:13 AM

It was.

CBTFC
03-14-2017, 07:25 AM
LAG taking trash talk to a whole new level. Good on them for calling out the bullshit diving.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/841420725747507201

GBV
03-14-2017, 08:17 AM
^ Yes diving sucks. But glass houses, rocks etc. ...

woolly
03-14-2017, 11:53 AM

I had first contacted them late January to get confirmation about the blackout rules: no response. Then I sent another message last minute to cancel my renewal. Also no response, and I only noticed this weekend that they ignored the cancellation and deducted the money from my credit card anyway.

Before the Philly game, I logged onto MLS Live, but they no longer seem to have detailed blackout info there. (On the old website, you could click a button on the schedule to see what will be blocked. That doesn't seem to exist anymore.) I watched the Philly game at Shoeless, but afterwards I went home & checked MLS Live again. Blocked games should normally be blocked for 48 hours, but I could start the TFC game on MLS Live immediately afterwards w/o a problem, and w/o a VPN.

I wonder, maybe the blocking isn't working yet, and everything is still available? Reading online (e.g., Big Soccer) it seems that many features of the new MLS Live don't work yet. It would be great if the blocking is also not in place yet.

I just contacted them and got them to issue a refund... I'll consider renewing if and when they have the bugs sorted.