PDA

View Full Version : MLS Preseason

PopePouri
02-06-2017, 11:40 AM
We lost to Cal State yesterday 2-1, Obligatory preseason post just to get it out of the way...

"If we can't beat some semi-pro college team, how can we compete with everyone else. We're going to be competing for the Wooden Spoon. I hope I'm wrong.".

C.Ronaldo
02-06-2017, 11:54 AM
We lost to Cal State yesterday 2-1, Obligatory preseason post just to get it out of the way...

"If we can't beat some semi-pro college team, how can compete with everyone else. We're going to be competing for the Wooden Spoon. I hope I'm wrong.".

obligatory response

Dude, chill out. theres still time for this team to gel and pick up an AM

Areathrasher
02-06-2017, 11:59 AM
#VanneyOut

molenshtain
02-06-2017, 12:01 PM
I'm getting the sense more and more that we're giving the AM spot to Chapman until the summer. If he succeeds, good for us. If he fails we'll have a larger pool of players to pick from. It's not an absolute need so I doubt they rush in someone they aren't 100% on.

This is all good stuff.

Oldtimer
02-06-2017, 01:18 PM

"If we can't beat some semi-pro college team, how can compete with everyone else. We're going to be competing for the Wooden Spoon. I hope I'm wrong.".

Not only that, Giovinco only got 1 goal. Clearly he's gonna tank this season. That's if he doesn't move to China! Obligatory worried post.

Shway
02-06-2017, 01:39 PM
I get the preseason notion....but it still horrendously bad to lose to an average college team.

Shway
02-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Oh yea, and I couldn't help but notice that Vanney is helping out his other Nephew in Spencer....he's played the last few games. (He's undeservingly there)

OgtheDim
02-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Oh yea, and I couldn't help but notice that Vanney is helping out his other Nephew in Spencer....he's played the last few games. (He's undeservingly there)

This is the guy who was US U20 right? Its pre-season. Like a lot of other people there, he's on a USL contract. He's a project and if they don't like him, he'll go back down.

molenshtain
02-06-2017, 01:57 PM
I don't think they're related. Vanney knows him well for sure - he brought him into the RSL and Chivas youth teams - but nothing more than that. Spencer was a very highly touted prospect before he tore his knee or whatever it was. Not much wrong with giving a guy like that a run during preseason.

Brandino88
02-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Its only the thrid pre-season game no need to stress yet. Im curious to see how we will play aganist mls opposition. That will be the real measuring stick not a game with 3 periods ( i dont know what to call them) and entire team subsitutions.

PopePouri
02-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Its only the thrid pre-season game no need to stress yet. Im curious to see how we will play aganist mls opposition. That will be the real measuring stick not a game with 3 periods ( i dont know what to call them) and entire team subsitutions.

Not really. It's preseason and results don't indicate the quality of the roster.

Auzzy
02-06-2017, 02:59 PM

They've been calling them "three halves" LOL #AlternativeMath

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2017, 03:16 PM
This is Pre-preseason. I hope the next tourney is on the youtubes.

PopePouri
02-06-2017, 03:23 PM
I'm getting the sense more and more that we're giving the AM spot to Chapman until the summer. If he succeeds, good for us. If he fails we'll have a larger pool of players to pick from. It's not an absolute need so I doubt they rush in someone they aren't 100% on.

This is all good stuff.

It really depends how good this Andrews kid as well.

ensco
02-06-2017, 03:26 PM

This is all good stuff.

In the 3-5-2, I think it's Cooper as the AM. Delgado goes in for Johnson.

When we go 4 at the back, which I expect a lot, then Chapman may we'll be beside Bradley, a lot of guys will play the wing... Cooper, Endoh, Delgado

Shway
02-06-2017, 07:41 PM
This is the guy who was US U20 right? Its pre-season. Like a lot of other people there, he's on a USL contract. He's a project and if they don't like him, he'll go back down.

I don't think they're related. Vanney knows him well for sure - he brought him into the RSL and Chivas youth teams - but nothing more than that. Spencer was a very highly touted prospect before he tore his knee or whatever it was. Not much wrong with giving a guy like that a run during preseason.

yes it's preseason ...my point is there have been far more players who have actually performed in TFC II games last year. Spencer played in less then 180 mins last year, I could name a few who aren't with the first team who should be if Spencers there.

I.e. Ricardo John

molenshtain
02-06-2017, 09:25 PM
yes it's preseason ...my point is there have been far more players who have actually performed in TFC II games last year. Spencer played in less then 180 mins last year, I could name a few who aren't with the first team who should be if Spencers there.

I.e. Ricardo John

The young guys who are with the team right now are guys who the club thinks they could sign to the first team over the next 18-24 months. There's a reason your Brian James' and Ricardo Johns' aren't there while guys like Spencer and Fraser are. Has nothing to do with seniority and everything to do with letting the young guys who have the highest potential get minutes in with the first team.

Areathrasher
02-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Brian James was in California tbf

Shway
02-07-2017, 08:38 PM
The young guys who are with the team right now are guys who the club thinks they could sign to the first team over the next 18-24 months. There's a reason your Brian James' and Ricardo Johns' aren't there while guys like Spencer and Fraser are. Has nothing to do with seniority and everything to do with letting the young guys who have the highest potential get minutes in with the first team.

Seniority?...I was referring to more unwarranted favouritism.

Only mentioned Spencer...but run with the rest. Edwards, Fraser, and Johnson are all deserve being their, I would even say Skylarge too.

Ricardo John is a 21 yo 6ft3 Trinidad and Tobago U-20, and U-23 player who scored 3 goals in 4 brief appearances for TFC II after being signed in late late August (?). He made a instant affect to the team with his speed, footwork, and aerial prescence.

I'm going to assume you don't watch TFCII games or are unaware of the players at large.

molenshtain
02-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Seniority?...I was referring to more unwarranted favouritism.

Only mentioned Spencer...but run with the rest. Edwards, Fraser, and Johnson are all deserve being their, I would even say Skylarge too.

Ricardo John is a 21 yo 6ft3 Trinidad and Tobago U-20, and U-23 player who scored 3 goals in 4 brief appearances for TFC II after being signed in late late August (?). He made a instant affect to the team with his speed, footwork, and aerial prescence.

I'm going to assume you don't watch TFCII games or are unaware of the players at large.

Fair enough. I remembered John signing a year or two ago for some reason. I don't know who I'm thinking of. this is going to bug me.

And you're also right to assume your last point. I found watching our senior academy team do a bunch of experimental shit against mostly semi-pro players to not be required viewing.

My larger point was that just because Spencer was training with the first team during pre-season over someone like John, who performed well in the same position in limited minutes last year, was not obviously favoritism. Spencer was at one point generally regarded to be one of the best prospects on the continent, talked about in the same way Carleton or Akinola are talked about now. Vanney gave him his start in the RSL youth system when he was 15 and then brought him with him to Chivas not long after. John was all-ACC third team when Spencer went to go play with one of the best teams in Scandinavia.

Given all that, I don't think it's a given that Vanney is letting favoritism get in the way of his judgement. It's not favoritism if they just think Spencer has more of a future with the club, and are basing that off having known him and seen him play for six years. Vanney and Co have in my opinion done really well over the last three years in player acquisitions and development, specifically with young players. I'm just saying I think he's earned a bit of leeway to go about his work without us accusing him of putting his horse in the senate.

I mean look at the last player people accused Vanney of playing favorites with. Zavaleta's turned out pretty damn good right? He certainly outperformed all expectations and ceilings I thought he had at the beginning of last season.

PopePouri
02-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Really doubt it's favoritism. They invested in getting him a long time ago and he was highly touted in the u20s when they got him. He just hasn't seen much time because of injury.

notthesun
02-07-2017, 10:55 PM
I keep up with TFC II fairly closely and I'll say John did not impress me in his brief cameo last year. He struck me as a hard worker with a big body, good agility for his size, but little in the way of skill. From my amateur viewpoint I wouldn't think his ceiling is very high at all.

Then again, Spencer has pretty much not played for 2 years. Management I'm sure wants to see what they have in him. IIRC, he's out of contract right now. Who knows, we may not even sign him at all, to TFC or TFC II.

Anyways, I will let Vanney and co. do their thing... I criticized them for giving the backup role to Bono last year over Roberts and I was most likely wrong on that.

molenshtain
02-07-2017, 11:25 PM
We signed him officially September '16. Highly doubt he's already out of a contract.

Shway
02-08-2017, 12:13 AM
I keep up with TFC II fairly closely and I'll say John did not impress me in his brief cameo last year. He struck me as a hard worker with a big body, good agility for his size, but little in the way of skill. From my amateur viewpoint I wouldn't think his ceiling is very high at all.

While your brief analysis could be right....his play did result in 3 goals in 4 games. Again my point main point is that there are players coming and going who are from the academy (not John in this case) who aren't given a fair shot. But hey...it's part of football right?

Then again, Spencer has pretty much not played for 2 years. Management I'm sure wants to see what they have in him. IIRC, he's out of contract right now. Who knows, we may not even sign him at all, to TFC or TFC II.

Anyways, I will let Vanney and co. do their thing... I criticized them for giving the backup role to Bono last year over Roberts and I was most likely wrong on that.

You/We could only be considered wrong because we/you never got to see Roberts given the chance to be proven "right"....even though he was considered the number 2 at the beginning of 2016.

PopePouri
02-08-2017, 12:12 PM
While your brief analysis could be right....his play did result in 3 goals in 4 games. Again my point main point is that there are players coming and going who are from the academy (not John in this case) who aren't given a fair shot. But hey...it's part of football right?

Depends. We now have outlets for players to get match experience whether it be pro or semi-pro. I'd say that the assessment of a forward goes beyond just scoring goals. Does he train well? Does he bring the midfielders into the game? Is he working off the ball? Can he hold up the ball? Does he make the right tactical decisions? Is he contributing defensively?

You/We could only be considered wrong because we/you never got to see Roberts given the chance to be proven "right"....even though he was considered the number 2 at the beginning of 2016.

At the beginning of 2016, yes. Bono was terrible in 2015. But the opposite happened in 2016. Roberts showed no indication that he could make the step to the first team.

notthesun
02-08-2017, 12:42 PM
We signed him officially September '16. Highly doubt he's already out of a contract.

He was announced as out of contract in TFC II's end of season cuts, but that the club was negotiating a new contract with him. No news since. He could have signed and we just haven't announced it, but I doubt it, I'm pretty sure he's essentially on trial now (perhaps moreso on trial for a first team contract, and if not he'll get a USL contract).

C.Ronaldo
02-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Fair enough. I remembered John signing a year or two ago for some reason. I don't know who I'm thinking of. this is going to bug me.

And you're also right to assume your last point. I found watching our senior academy team do a bunch of experimental shit against mostly semi-pro players to not be required viewing.

My larger point was that just because Spencer was training with the first team during pre-season over someone like John, who performed well in the same position in limited minutes last year, was not obviously favoritism. Spencer was at one point generally regarded to be one of the best prospects on the continent, talked about in the same way Carleton or Akinola are talked about now. Vanney gave him his start in the RSL youth system when he was 15 and then brought him with him to Chivas not long after. John was all-ACC third team when Spencer went to go play with one of the best teams in Scandinavia.

Given all that, I don't think it's a given that Vanney is letting favoritism get in the way of his judgement. It's not favoritism if they just think Spencer has more of a future with the club, and are basing that off having known him and seen him play for six years. Vanney and Co have in my opinion done really well over the last three years in player acquisitions and development, specifically with young players. I'm just saying I think he's earned a bit of leeway to go about his work without us accusing him of putting his horse in the senate.

I mean look at the last player people accused Vanney of playing favorites with. Zavaleta's turned out pretty damn good right? He certainly outperformed all expectations and ceilings I thought he had at the beginning of last season.

and brought haglund back from the dead

Shway
02-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Vanney said he want's the team down from 37 guys to 30. Considering some of the draft picks and reserve players will be going back with TFC II to prepare for the season. Here's what I'm predicting the roster will look like in preason camp pt.2:

Goalkeepers (3)

Clint Irwin
Alex Bono
Robert Moewes (#52Intl Draft Pick)

Defenders (10)

Drew Moor
Chris Mavinga
Eriq Zavelta
Nick Hagglund
Ashtone Morgan
Justin Morrow
Steven Beitashour
Brandon Aubrey (#21 Draft Pick)
Jordan McCrary (trialist)

Juan Pablo Saavedra (#87Draft Pick)

Midfielders (10)

Michael Bradley
Benoit Cheyrou
Jonathan Osorio
Armando Cooper
Mikey Delgado
Jay Chapman
Sergio Carmargo
Aikim Andrews (trialist)
Raheem Edwards (TFC II)
Malik Johnson (TFC II)

Forwards (7)

Jozy Altidore
Sebastian Giovinco
Tosaint Ricketts
Jordan Hamilton
Molham Babouli

Tsubasa Endoh
Ben Spencer

30 guys....but I think we could see another trialist or hopefully the new number 10.

Stress
02-09-2017, 12:15 PM
I think Spencer goes with them. Offers something different from our other back up forwards.

Vanney said he want's the team down from 37 guys to 30. Considering some of the draft picks and reserve players will be going back with TFC II to prepare for the season. Here's what I'm predicting the roster will look like in preason camp pt.2:

Goalkeepers (3)

Clint Irwin
Alex Bono
Robert Moewes (#52Intl Draft Pick)

Defenders (10)

Drew Moor
Chris Mavinga
Eriq Zavelta
Nick Hagglund
Ashtone Morgan
Justin Morrow
Steven Beitashour
Brandon Aubrey (#21 Draft Pick)
Jordan McCrary (trialist)

Juan Pablo Saavedra (#87Draft Pick)

Midfielders (10)

Michael Bradley
Benoit Cheyrou
Jonathan Osorio
Armando Cooper
Mikey Delgado
Jay Chapman
Sergio Carmargo
Aikim Andrews (trialist)
Raheem Edwards (TFC II)
Malik Johnson (TFC II)

Forwards (6)

Jozy Altidore
Sebastian Giovinco
Tosaint Ricketts
Jordan Hamilton
Molham Babouli

Tsubasa Endoh

29 guys....but I think we could see another trialist or hopefully the new number 10.

Shway
02-09-2017, 12:31 PM
I think Spencer goes with them. Offers something different from our other back up forwards.

Yea your right...

Red CB Toronto
02-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Plus we don't know where things stand with Ayo Akinola. Does the US youth international sign a homegrown deal with the first team?

Shway
02-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Man I really think the Ayo hype needs to cool a little bit.
Unless he's signing with the first team to be loaned TFC II for a full season then cool...but I rather see some of the guys who have been grinding for this opportunity like Edwards, and Johnson.

Initial B
02-10-2017, 12:23 PM
I think the worry is that Ayo might not wait and TFC will lose him to Europe without at transfer fee.

notthesun
02-15-2017, 03:34 PM
TFC vs. Miami FC in preseason action

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/831961971603935232

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/831962842345660417

Fort York Redcoat
02-15-2017, 04:06 PM
TFC vs. Miami FC in preseason action

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/831961971603935232

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/831962842345660417

Is Hunter Freeman playing though!? Haha great satart.

PopePouri
02-15-2017, 04:18 PM
4-0 now. #stillmeansnothing

OgtheDim
02-15-2017, 04:28 PM
This pic pretty much suggests the various subs view of the importance of this match.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/831970636675350528

notthesun
02-15-2017, 05:07 PM
TFC win 6-1, goals from Morrow, Giovinco (x2), Cheyrou, trialist Aikim Andrews and Raheem Edwards.

Fort York Redcoat
02-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Next game Fri against UCF at 4pm.

Stress
02-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Still no confirmation of who all traveled to Orlando? Who's the kid beside Cheyrou? Andrews?

BeachTory
02-15-2017, 06:10 PM
I think the worry is that Ayo might not wait and TFC will lose him to Europe without at transfer fee.

He is already gone. US Residency program in florida for the spring term snce he is still under age to stroll into europe. Turned down homegrown pro offer. As an american ( passport holder at least ) he can sign into EU easier than Canadians can once he is 18.

reggie
02-15-2017, 06:50 PM
He is already gone. US Residency program in florida for the spring term snce he is still under age to stroll into europe. Turned down homegrown pro offer. As an american ( passport holder at least ) he can sign into EU easier than Canadians can once he is 18.
i think he turned down a tfc2 contract.they have not offered him a 1st team contract yet,they are still thinking about it.

OgtheDim
02-15-2017, 08:22 PM
It should be noted that MLS has this season created 2 additional slots on the first team for homegrown contracts. In essence, its a 30 man roster now.

Hopefully he gets a fair offer from TFC and if he turns it down and waits for Europe, that's his choice. He's not getting a Homegrown from any other MLS team.

notthesun
02-16-2017, 04:14 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/02/16/2017-preseason-toronto-fc-vs-miami-fc-recap

A few clips from the Miami game, including video evidence of Giovinco shooting to the right on a penalty.

notthesun
02-18-2017, 01:10 PM
http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017/02/17/his-injury-nightmare-behind-him-ben-spencer-looks-to-make-mark-with-toronto-fc.html

Story from Davidson on Ben Spencer.

Shway
02-18-2017, 02:24 PM
i think he turned down a tfc2 contract.they have not offered him a 1st team contract yet,they are still thinking about it.

I dont think they rate him over the current TFC2 prospects that they have in camp now.
The reality is, Ayo hasn't been to any preaseason camps (Cali or Orlando), so I don't think they are pondering on whether to give him a contract or not.

Also, he's currently with the TFC academy U17 team at the GA Cup group stage in Houston (http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/02/18/ga-cup-tfc-vs-skc-recap). Sooo again, that to me shows he ain't getting a contract over Raheem, or Malik.

ag futbol
02-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Not quite yet: http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/02/18/ga-cup-tfc-vs-skc-recap

If he has decided to leave I think it's odd he's still playing with the U17's.

Shway
02-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Not quite yet: http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/02/18/ga-cup-tfc-vs-skc-recap

If he has decided to leave I think it's odd he's still playing with the U17's.

Nope makes perfect sense. they aren't giving him a first team contract. So TFC says "continue to train with the U17s until your move materializes, if all doesn't work out how you've planned for overseas... you always have a spot here with TFC2".

OgtheDim
02-19-2017, 02:35 PM
FWIW

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/833392437276110848

There are playing 2 mini games.

aajking
02-19-2017, 02:52 PM
They aren't streaming these games on the team site anymore? Thought they used to.

reggie
02-19-2017, 02:58 PM
I dont think they rate him over the current TFC2 prospects that they have in camp now.
The reality is, Ayo hasn't been to any preaseason camps (Cali or Orlando), so I don't think they are pondering on whether to give him a contract or not.

Also, he's currently with the TFC academy U17 team at the GA Cup group stage in Houston (http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/02/18/ga-cup-tfc-vs-skc-recap). Sooo again, that to me shows he ain't getting a contract over Raheem, or Malik.
in a recent interview,bez did say they are talking,his younger brother is also with the academy,i think he may be best young prospect they have.why not sign him to a 1st team contract.mtl and van have signed 16 yr olds.they have 32 roster spots avail.why lose him for nothing next year?

Miss Jones
02-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Disappointing that there is no site to watch the game. No place for any updates either. Unless someone is down there watching the game??

OgtheDim
02-19-2017, 03:59 PM
They aren't streaming these games on the team site anymore? Thought they used to.

They are streaming the next 2 games after today's.

BTW, according to the site - Giovinco free kick goal - over the wall and down into the corner.

Seems everything is back to normal

Altidore scores

We give up a disputed penalty

Cooper misses a bunch of chances

Giovinco scores on a free kick

Morrow scores

:)

Miss Jones
02-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the updates...and good ones at that!

Areathrasher
02-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Already 1 up in the second game.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/833420782617387008

Line-up, Brunell is the Finn CB on trial. Alseth is one of the draft picks.
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/833420529222746112

OgtheDim
02-19-2017, 04:11 PM
the B team pretty much (minus Bono & Baboulli)

reggie
02-19-2017, 04:29 PM
looks like mavinga is getting a run out at left back?

correction..he is probs starting at left cb in a 3 5 2.i wonder why they started simoein instead of mavinga on the a team?

OgtheDim
02-19-2017, 04:57 PM
IIRC, they kinda did the same thing last year's preseason with Zaveletta and Hagglund in the back 4 we had going on then. The theory is to give the sub CDs time with the starters because they will play at some point during the season guaranteed. Turned out well last year when you think about it. I still expect Mavinga to start.

Areathrasher
02-19-2017, 05:22 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/833437701827330048

Spencer, Akim Andrews and an OG were the other 3.

notthesun
02-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Well, Brian James is at camp then. I really wish they released a full list of names that are training like some other teams have, and like we have in the past if I'm not mistaken.

Shway
02-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Centre back on trial: Johan Brunell (http://www.transfermarkt.com/johan-brunell/profil/spieler/139782)

Initial B
02-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Wow, based on the second team results, I think we have some of the deepest bench in the league if they can so thoroughly dominate an opponent like that. I'm looking forward to next year.

OgtheDim
02-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Looks like today's game is going to be exclusively streamed ONLY to people who have signed up for a particular mailing list.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/834440118916128768

djcuse
02-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Looks like today's game is going to be exclusively streamed ONLY to people who have signed up for a particular mailing list.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/834440118916128768

Or you can just watch on Minnesota Uniteds website without signing up for anything ;)

Areathrasher
02-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Or TFC's youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNalcRJpHaw

Ossington Mental Youth
02-22-2017, 02:40 PM
pretty sure anyone can sign up for that. dont see what the big deal is.

Fort York Redcoat
02-22-2017, 02:50 PM
pretty sure anyone can sign up for that. dont see what the big deal is.

They sure can. Sign up for a fan community, that is.

And we're live! With a graphic. So..Live in a bit!

OgtheDim
02-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Or you can just watch on Minnesota Uniteds website without signing up for anything ;)

Except there site says you have to sign into TorontoTilIDie to do so. :canada:

http://www.mnufc.com/post/2017/02/22/mnufc-vs-toronto-fc-live-stream

I'll watch on the youtube

Joe Kool
02-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Or TFC's youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNalcRJpHaw

Thanks man. I am trying to find it on my PS4 Youtube app but I can't see it for some reason. At least I got it up on my laptop. Appreciate you posting the link.

Areathrasher
02-22-2017, 03:02 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/834491031316004877

Fort York Redcoat
02-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Someone tell me when the audio doesn't sound like gargling.

Warner!

Shway
02-22-2017, 03:34 PM
1-0 Gio goal

Areathrasher
02-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Seba

Dos a cero

OgtheDim
02-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Minnesotta has so little wing pressure, Morrow is playing like a 3rd forward.

charlieocc
02-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Pretty good half, MNU look horrible tbh. Anybody have an opinion on Mavinga? I thought he looked pretty good but Minnesota wasn't really threatening much anyway

Areathrasher
02-22-2017, 04:08 PM
His passing looks decent.

That's about all i've noticed so far.

OgtheDim
02-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Lots of changes at the half....including Vazquez on.

charlieocc
02-22-2017, 04:21 PM
This stream is terrible :(

Jpexxx
02-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Damn.
Was excited to see some TFC... Oh well both the first two goals were real nice.

Joe Kool
02-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Am I reading Twitter correctly that Vazquez came into the game then was subbed out 3 min later? I don't use Twitter but just going by the timestamps of the updates.

EDIT - Nevermind....I see that it was just the timing of the updates and not real time. Haha. Old man syndrome?

Jpexxx
02-22-2017, 04:43 PM
The first tweet came late.
All those subs were half time subs. I'd imagine by now they are closer to the 60th or so?

I tweeted at them asking how long Vazquez played so I hopefully they answer.

charlieocc
02-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Am I reading Twitter correctly that Vazquez came into the game then was subbed out 3 min later? I don't use Twitter but just going by the timestamps of the updates.

EDIT - Nevermind....I see that it was just the timing of the updates and not real time. Haha. Old man syndrome?

I think he came in at halftime but still, not sure why he'd come off again...

Areathrasher
02-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Just letting him stretch his legs. No biggie.

notthesun
02-22-2017, 04:51 PM
He just arrived and hasn't played/trained since December as Liga MX is also on break over the winter. Normal that they'd only give him a quick 25-30 minute run out.

charlieocc
02-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Anybody know if Seba was subbed off?

OgtheDim
02-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Anybody know if Seba was subbed off?

Yes - Hamilton and Spencer started the second half. Spencer and Vasques subbed out in the second half, sounds like about after 30 minutes.

charlieocc
02-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Well anyway, I wrote a game review with what I could haha.
http://www.wakingthered.com/toronto-fc/2017/2/22/14702908/sebastian-giovinco-scores-toronto-fc-minnesota-united-mls-preseason-recap

OgtheDim
02-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Apparently the Loons pretty much played their starters for most of that game. Not sure that says more about our B team or their A team.

notthesun
02-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Apparently the Loons pretty much played their starters for most of that game. Not sure that says more about our B team or their A team.

They're gonna be wooden spoon contenders.

OgtheDim
02-25-2017, 02:55 PM
Game today livestreamed. Both teams putting out strong squads.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/835570024765145088

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/835570466626625537

For those wondering, Mavinga is back in Europe with a new kid.

Luanda
02-25-2017, 03:01 PM
LINK(s) please?

OgtheDim
02-25-2017, 03:02 PM
Youtube for those wanting to see it later and drop in and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJx4qpwlWr8

Oh, gosh its Lee Godfrey.....:(

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2017, 03:13 PM
The away shirt with red shorts works so much better.

Red CB Toronto
02-25-2017, 03:21 PM
Dam that sucks, where the mark. Love hearing Lee Godfrey back in action. Always wondered why he was let go.

Oldtimer
02-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Chicago scores first. Time to panic? :lol:

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2017, 03:27 PM
WTF was Irwin doing? Penalty and now 2-0 Chicago.

Red CB Toronto
02-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Chicago scores first. Time to panic? :lol:

What was Clint doing coming out like that and giving up a PK.

jloome
02-25-2017, 03:50 PM
What was Clint doing coming out like that and giving up a PK.

We're getting spanked. Very loose. Just pre season though and it looks like the guys are jogging.

The most annoying thing is having to listen to two of the worst announcers in history.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2017, 03:50 PM
What's the line up?

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2017, 03:52 PM
this is ugly. I guess Vanney might want to see how this unfolds but it is a shitshow right now.

sn0re
02-25-2017, 03:53 PM
What's the line up?

3-5-2 not doing to good so far..

SoccMan2
02-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Vanney out!

RealG-TFC
02-25-2017, 03:54 PM
I know this is pre-season but man this is hard to watch. All our passes are so predictable, nothing really penetrating Chicago.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2017, 03:55 PM

3-5-2 not doing to good so far..

Thanks, no excuses with that line up. Oh well preseason

OgtheDim
02-25-2017, 03:57 PM
What's the line up?

The starters with Simonin in for Mavinga and Hagglund on the right instead of Zavaletta. Osorio has not had a great game but Irwin on the second goal was a complete brain fart.

Red CB Toronto
02-25-2017, 03:57 PM
I know this is pre-season but man this is hard to watch. All our passes are so predictable, nothing really penetrating Chicago.

Considering it's a week out from the season opener I would like to see things much better.

notthesun
02-25-2017, 03:58 PM
I annoyingly happened to have got up and missed every Chicago goal... sounds like they're holding back and looking to counter. I'd like to see how we look against this with Vazquez or Chapman in there.

reggie
02-25-2017, 04:04 PM
relax people..its preseason.its hot,they are playing at 50%

Jpexxx
02-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Not an encouraging first half.
Really surprised by Irwin's decision making on that PK

GerMc
02-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Raheem Edwards has been impressive so far in the second half. I hope they sign him to a first team contract.

OgtheDim
02-25-2017, 04:23 PM
One little wrinkle in all this. This was supposed to be the game where the starters go close to 90 to work on fitness. What with the first half score changing things to Fire bunker and counter and the heat, that didn't happen.

Next week we start the season off at altitude. I think our second half vs. RSL is going to be a lung buster.

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Turned off the stream, can't watch anymore of this. What a half assed effort.

ag futbol
02-25-2017, 04:41 PM
I'll go with it being preseason. Not reading into it much.

Would like to see some more decisive wide play though (haven't watched Edwards in the 2nd).

Bobo
02-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Vanney out!

I heard Ranieri is available. Seba should go to China.

reggie
02-25-2017, 05:02 PM
the one good about today was Edwards,he has got some great speed and a nice touch.

Auzzy
02-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Yeah obviously pre-season so no big deal, but I also believe Vanney wanted more than 45' out of most of his starters. And I think the game didn't need to look that painful.

Also Chicago's defensive positioning is going to be the model for any team that doesn't feel they can compete on equal terms with TFC. I hope Victor Vazquez can help to unlock a situation like that, with smart passes + some good long shots from just outside of the box. (And yes I'm very happy they signed an offensive midfielder as they had hinted.)

I loved the way Edwards chased down, shoulder-tackled, and then took out Accam on 2nd-half breakaway attempt.

notthesun
02-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Yeah, that track back by Edwards was impressive. The one thing this group never had was breakaway speed. Ricketts filled that need up top but having a guy that can burn down the flanks would be nice too.

Not too concerned about one bad pre-season game. Doesn't change all the things that point to us being in a really good place to start the year.

Bobo
02-25-2017, 08:25 PM
Shame on me for forgetting since the preseason is so important, but didn't TFC stink it up last year too?

ag futbol
02-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Watched the 2nd half today, much more encouraging than the first. Thought Chapman was excellent. Vasquez and Edwards were good. Hamilton did well in his brief stint.

Hope there's room to see some of these guys on the field this year. We are lucky to have this amount of good young talent.