PDA

View Full Version : There is an offer for Giovinco from China

trane
01-24-2017, 03:32 PM
http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/24-01-2017/giovinco-bussa-cina-agente-offerta-importante-180547136231.shtml

I do not have the time to translate, but the gist is that there is a big money offer from China, but his agent says it will be hard for him to leave Toronto.

CanadaLFC
01-24-2017, 03:37 PM
The Agent of Sebastian reveals: "The Chinese are very interested, but will not be easy to tear Giovinco away from Toronto"

Sebastian Giovinco is in a Chinese club's view, revealed Andrea D"Amico in an interview with Sky Sport 24 . D'Amico is the agent of the former Juventus player, who has been in Toronto for two years and is the star of the league.

"The Chinese seem very interested, but I think it will not be easy to tear him from Toronto - said Andrea D'Amico -. The Chinese have presented an important offer, we will talk with the club to see, along with Sebastian, what to do ".

Coles notes.

trane
01-24-2017, 03:44 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/agent-giovinco-has-offer-from-china-1.657061

Just saw this.

China has been shopping like crazy.

Mateo1985
01-24-2017, 03:45 PM
They offered Rooney 1 mil a week. Not bad. They could definitely do 7 million to Giovinco a year

jabbronies
01-24-2017, 03:55 PM
There is an optics thing to think about here.

How would it look if a club from the Chinese league comes in a scoops up the MLS' top player?

I would think that MLS would want to keep him here just as much as we do.

Oldtimer
01-24-2017, 03:59 PM
If the club sells Giovinco it will be a bad day for TFC supporters, even though $500k extra under the salary cap would be received.

leafsman
01-24-2017, 04:07 PM
what would they need to pay him to entice him to China, 10 million?

trane
01-24-2017, 04:31 PM
10 is the number I have read/heard.

Lennon
01-24-2017, 05:23 PM
It's crazy that we signed him for free (right?).

Brandino88
01-24-2017, 05:42 PM
It's crazy that we signed him for free (right?).

Yeah i believe it was a free transfer. I dont want him to go our best player ever, but ultimately if he wants to leave then let him go and use some of that transfer money on reinforcements. I really hope this is just a rumor, and no truth to it.

ensco
01-24-2017, 06:00 PM
This will be Manning's first real test.

He's got to start working towards a more normalized salary structure. That's why he's here, and Leiweke isn't.

Seba showed signs of having chronic injury issues last year (that adductor thing that never really got better). I suspect Manning might take any deal that makes him look smart. A $5M transfer fee would probably do it.

Sigh.

leedsandTFC
01-24-2017, 06:01 PM
we can't afford to let him go.

getting a player of gio's quality to the MLS was basically once in a generation deal. season starts at the beginning of march, we won't get anyone near his quality in by then, even with the money freed up. in fact, we would likely end up paying way over the odds for someone of much lesser quality in a panic.

trane
01-24-2017, 06:06 PM
If we let him go it has to be for real transfer money not 5 Mill. That is peanuts. You have to get 20 Million plus, and then try to use it for another young player who has quality but has not quite found his spot in Europe. BALOTELLI.

Richard
01-24-2017, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't worry about the Chinese league, the FA over there is cracking down on foreign players coming to there league and after this year they go back to being irrelevant in the football market.

Richard
01-24-2017, 06:21 PM

He's got to start working towards a more normalized salary structure. That's why he's here, and Leiweke isn't.

Seba showed signs of having chronic injury issues last year (that adductor thing that never really got better). I suspect Manning might take any deal that makes him look smart. A $5M transfer fee would probably do it.

Sigh.

A $5M deal would be a disaster, we could get $10M pounds easy(depends if Gio lowers his wage a bit) from an EPL club, it better be an offer of $20M.

PopePouri
01-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Sigh.

I don't know where you get this impression of Manning. The one thing he's driven across is a sense of consistency with regard to coaches, tactics and players, almost to a fault.

They didn't sell Bradley when there was a 5 million bid offer was on the table. Why would they do so with Seba who is the same age and better?

ensco
01-24-2017, 07:09 PM
I don't know where you get this impression of Manning. The one thing he's driven across is a sense of consistency with regard to coaches, tactics and players, almost to a fault.

They didn't sell Bradley when there was a 5 million bid offer was on the table. Why would they do so with Seba who is the same age and better?

Colour me sceptical on that Bradley story. Not to rehash this (I made these points when that supposed story surfaced) but Bradley was making $1M in Italy. Call it $2M tax equalized. Who on earth was ever going to pay a transfer for a Bradley now making $6.5M? He hasn't exactly lit it up for the USMNT either post Italy.

The yardstick is what Boca got for Tevez.

As for Manning, where would anyone get any impression of him as a top end spender? His experience is in running a payroll constrained team. (That Peruvian kid, now that would have been a hallmark Manning-type move.) Here, Manning's playing out the assets Leiweke deployed, but hasn't really had to make major salary calls yet. I am not suggesting he won't spend at all, but Seattle spend and still had less than half the payroll TFC did.

69Chevy396
01-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Colour me sceptical on that Bradley story. Not to rehash this (I made these points when that supposed story surfaced) but Bradley was making $1M in Italy. Call it $2M tax equalized. Who on earth was ever going to pay a transfer for a Bradley now making $6.5M? He hasn't exactly lit it up for the USMNT either post Italy.

As for Manning, where would anyone get any impression of him as a top end spender? His experience is in running a payroll constrained team. (That He's playing out the assets Leiweke deployed, but hasn't really had to make major salary calls yet. I am not suggesting he won't spend at all, but Seattle spend and still had less than half the payroll TFC did.
I think the Italian NT factors in here. If Seba believes he still has a chance to make the team, staying in MLS seems to be the prudent course. If, on the other hand, he has given up on his NT dreams, then playing in China for mega bucks makes sense. I would hate to see him leave under these circumstances

OgtheDim
01-24-2017, 07:36 PM

The yardstick for that deal is actually more of a 0.55yard stick. The numbers given out by the European press were bogus.

spe18
01-24-2017, 07:47 PM

As for Manning, where would anyone get any impression of him as a top end spender? His experience is in running a payroll constrained team. (That Peruvian kid, now that would have been a hallmark Manning-type move.) Here, Manning's playing out the assets Leiweke deployed, but hasn't really had to make major salary calls yet. I am not suggesting he won't spend at all, but Seattle spend and still had less than half the payroll TFC did.

The other factor is I seem to remember seeing somewhere the new president of MLSE (who I have no clue what his name is) is not very big on so called big money signings. Don't know how correct (or wrong) that is though.

James17930
01-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Seems like his agent released this info just to pimp Gio a little bit. He'd never move to China.

This will blow over by tomorrow.

Oldtimer
01-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Seems like his agent released this info just to pimp Gio a little bit. He'd never move to China.

This will blow over by tomorrow.

I hope so, I'm suffering too much from post tfc stress disorder. It goes like this:

1. We miss out on the cup by one pk.
2. Giovinco leaves for China.
3. We try to sign a good replacement, get Mista or Denilson instead.
4. We never ever ever get so close to tasting winning the MLS cup again. Instead we go out in the first round of the playoffs.

I know it's just a fear, but things were so bad for so long, a fear of going back is always there.

ensco
01-24-2017, 11:41 PM
^It's no idle fear. We were only a #3 seed. Many things went right, for us to just get to the Cup.

A lot of good teams never make the final, or go years not making the final. FCD, DCU, NYRB all spring to mind. Chicago was very good for years.

molenshtain
01-25-2017, 05:05 AM
That's a very pessimistic view. What went right for us was that we had a superior coach and roster compared to everyone we came up against, including Seattle. That's entirely predicated on the institutional advantages we've built for ourselves. As much as most of the last 10 years have hurt, we have to continue to expect bigger and better things now that the entire club, top to bottom, has shown the ability to put together a top tier product and laid the groundwork for a dynasty.

It's quite clear the club views itself as the Galaxy of the east now in almost every aspect. If they continue to act on it, we'll be more than fine.

izzyzz
01-25-2017, 05:35 AM
Ok, everyone settle down. I've just sent a counter-offer to TFC for Giovinco to play on my indoor 5x5 soccer team. He's not going to Gina.

OgtheDim
01-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Ok, everyone settle down. I've just sent a counter-offer to TFC for Giovinco to play on my indoor 5x5 soccer team. He's not going to Gina.

Regina has quite the offer on the table though.

ensco
01-25-2017, 07:40 AM
What does "his agent is pimping him" possibly mean? You guys seriously think it's a bluff to get a raise? What has Gio ever done to give anyone the idea he would do that?

Why would anyone not think this is serious? They have signed dozens of guys in China for silly money the last two years.

burlington Red
01-25-2017, 08:28 AM
What does "his agent is pimping him" possibly mean? You guys seriously think it's a bluff to get a raise? What has Gio ever done to give anyone the idea he would do that?

Why would anyone not think this is serious? They have signed dozens of guys in China for silly money the last two years.

It's hard not to think it's an agent looking to renegotiate his wages. He's went public with an offer from an unknown team before any discussions with TFC or MLS have even taken place. It's strange also in the fact that Chinese clubs want to be seen as having the big money to throw at players so they make their targets known publicly. Most recent example was only last week with Tianjin Quanjian making their interest in Costa at Chelsea very public to show their intent. They did the same with Cavani at PSG but ultimately got none of them. We don't even know which club is interested in Gio. The Chinese transfer window closes in 6 days I believe, if there is any legitimate interest they'd really need to make contact with TFC and MLS asap as time is running out. I've no doubt that clubs in China would be looking at Gio, taking the best player in MLS would be a statement of intent. But in this case I see this as either a poor attempt by his agent to get more money or a stupid off the cuff comment agents make to show their players worth.

izzyzz
01-25-2017, 08:31 AM
Regina has quite the offer on the table though.

Fine, I'll throw in a free t-shirt. :)

ensco
01-25-2017, 08:37 AM
It's hard not to think it's an agent looking to renegotiate his wages. He's went public with an offer from an unknown team before any discussions with TFC or MLS have even taken place. It's strange also in the fact that Chinese clubs want to be seen as having the big money to throw at players so they make their targets known publicly. Most recent example was only last week with Tianjin Quanjian making their interest in Costa at Chelsea very public to show their intent. They did the same with Cavani at PSG but ultimately got none of them. We don't even know which club is interested in Gio. The Chinese transfer window closes in 6 days I believe, if there is any legitimate interest they'd really need to make contact with TFC and MLS asap as time is running out. I've no doubt that clubs in China would be looking at Gio, taking the best player in MLS would be a statement of intent. But in this case I see this as either a poor attempt by his agent to get more money or a stupid off the cuff comment agents make to show their players worth.

I think that may be wishful thinking. The "stickiness" of an elite player at Chelsea or PSG is not comparable to the "stickiness" of a decent player at Toronto FC.

The Chinese deal entirely with the player, they let the player negotiate with the club.

We'll know soon enough.

burlington Red
01-25-2017, 09:35 AM
I think that may be wishful thinking. The Chinese deal entirely with the player, they let the player negotiate with the club.

We'll know soon enough.

yeah I get that, but his agent hasn't even spoke to the club yet, that's the point I was trying to make. The transfer deadline is looming. If this was a legitimate offer, his agent would be straight to meet TFC and begin discussions and not be running to the press . 6 Days to initiate talks, agree fees/contracts etc is very tight, especially when the chinese club are not dealing directly with TFC/MLS but via an agent, it is doable of course but would be difficult.
I don't think there is anything in this personally, I think his agent has made a throwaway comment that the media has latched on to.
Of course you can never say never, but I believe this will blow over.

Areathrasher
01-25-2017, 09:44 AM
The stream of money coming from China has been going mainly to the clients of Jorge Mendes and Kia Joochabarin. I can see D'Amico wanting to get in on that gravy train and is perhaps using Giovinco to get in on that.

That's not to say Giovinco is going but that D'Amico is using his name to get a foot in the door and wined and dined by Chinese club owners then sell them some of his other clients from Italy or Russia.

Canary10
01-25-2017, 09:59 AM
The yardstick for that deal is actually more of a 0.55yard stick. The numbers given out by the European press were bogus.

It's all relative, but Tevez is making $40 million a year remember. Even at that 0.55 yardstick, that's a big yardstick.

ensco
01-25-2017, 11:39 AM
If this was nothing, Gio himself, and/or the team, would have dismissed this by now.

The silence is telling you something.

Stress
01-25-2017, 12:31 PM
If this was nothing, Gio himself, and/or the team, would have dismissed this by now.

The silence is telling you something.

Well someone from the club told Larson and Molinaro to tweet out that they haven't been approached about it so there's that.

Areathrasher
01-25-2017, 12:35 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/824293795697135622

That's hardly a 100% dismissal but i'd say the club can't come out full force until they have seen a bid and rejected - which appears hasn't happened yet.

Super
01-25-2017, 02:09 PM
It'd probably be the biggest mistake in club history to sell Giovinco. They just put over 100 million into the stadium, and we're as hot as ever right now, so why would we go ahead and sell the best player in the league for what would probably amount to peanuts? Even 20 mil is fuck all in the grand scheme of things if it means we'll take two steps back. TFC is easily a $50 mil revenue club per year. I'm frustrated that this is even being considered a possibility by anyone.

Super
01-25-2017, 02:10 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/824330552929120257)More

Vanney: "I haven’t spent too much time thinking about losing Seba." #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

Canary10
01-25-2017, 02:21 PM
It'd probably be the biggest mistake in club history to sell Giovinco. They just put over 100 million into the stadium, and we're as hot as ever right now, so why would we go ahead and sell the best player in the league for what would probably amount to peanuts? Even 20 mil is fuck all in the grand scheme of things if it means we'll take two steps back. TFC is easily a $50 mil revenue club per year. I'm frustrated that this is even being considered a possibility by anyone.

Realistically, if Giovinco wants to go for more money the club can't do that much to stop him. If he wants to go, he'll go.

Super
01-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Realistically, if Giovinco wants to go for more money the club can't do that much to stop him. If he wants to go, he'll go.

True, but it'd have to be well above his current salary of 8 million per year. He's not uprooting his family to go to China for 10 mil. And I don't see anyone paying him more than that, even a Chinese super club.

DenisG_tfc
01-25-2017, 03:56 PM
I know that money is important and all but if Seba finishes out 5 or 6 years with us and we string some winning seasons together he would never have to buy a glass of wine in this town again. That has to be worth something to a thoughtful player one would think.

jabbronies
01-25-2017, 03:58 PM
I know that money is important and all but if Seba finishes out 5 or 6 years with us and we string some winning seasons together he would never have to buy a glass of wine in this town again. That has to be worth something to a thoughtful player one would think.

I would say that Toronto as a city has more to offer him than anywhere in China.

Does going to China give him a place on the Italian National team? Is China seen more value than MLS for the Italian NT?

Areathrasher
01-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Larson spoke to Bez about it...

However, TFC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko confirmed to the Sun Wednesday morning that the Reds “haven’t been contacted” by any Chinese parties interested in acquiring the soon-to-be 30-year-old. Giovinco was with TFC when it opened preseason training camp this week.
"I’m in regular touch with (Seba's agent)," Bezbatchenko told the Sun. "We have a very good relationship. He has more players under his portfolio than Sebastian.
"We haven’t received any formal contact or communication from any (Chinese) club. We respond to written offers. We haven’t received any.
"It’s the same thing I told (Seba's agent): ‘We’re not looking to sell any of our DPs. And if there’s a club interested, have them submit an offer and we’ll consider it then.’"
The Reds have long stated their intention to retain Giovinco’s services. Likewise, the Atomic Ant has repeatedly said he has little interest in leaving Toronto after putting up huge numbers in back-to-back seasons.
Giovinco has 39 goals and 31 assists in 61 regular season appearances since joining the Reds on a massive deal worth US$7 million per season. Giovinco's contract is guaranteed through the 2019 season.
"It’s not surprising," Bezbatchenko continued. "Over the last six months we’ve seen Chinese clubs go out big for the top players around the world – and we consider Seba one of them.
"He’s a top, top competitor. He’s one of the most competitive people I’ve ever come across in terms of how much he wants to win and how much he wants to help a team win."
At least five players on TFC's roster have garnered interest from China.

Canary10
01-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Damn Jina.

Canary10
01-25-2017, 04:23 PM
I would say that Toronto as a city has more to offer him than anywhere in China.

Does going to China give him a place on the Italian National team? Is China seen more value than MLS for the Italian NT?

Uh, MLS apparently doesn't offer a place on the Italian National Team. They're pretty explicit about that. And Asia is fun.

paul-collins
01-25-2017, 04:30 PM
That's some subtle shade by Bez.

He deftly separated the value of Seb ("top players around the world - and we consider Seba one") from the discussion with the agent ("if there's a club interested, have them submit an offer").

C.Ronaldo
01-25-2017, 04:59 PM
That's some subtle shade by Bez.

He deftly separated the value of Seb ("top players around the world - and we consider Seba one") from the discussion with the agent ("if there's a club interested, have them submit an offer").

Bez has a price for gio, its just not what was offered

C.Ronaldo
01-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Uh, MLS apparently doesn't offer a place on the Italian National Team. They're pretty explicit about that. And Asia is fun.

the reasons you move to Canada and the reasons you move to china couldn't be further apart.

And I wouldnt lump China with rest of Asia

Japan / korea / taiwan don't really need a second thought if your offered a boat of money

Mainland china, you have to consider political climate

ensco
01-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Bez said a whole bunch of absolutely nothing. Which actually means something.

He doesn't actually owe anyone an answer, but this "written offer" stuff makes me laugh. He just expects us to nod, as if we all just fell off the turnip truck. Like TFC sets the rules for how world football works.

I'd say it's now more than 50/50 that this is happening.

OgtheDim
01-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Every team every where says the same thing about transfer rumours, regardless of what is going on. "We have received no offers for (x player)."

Apart from that, well its agent talk. An agent who has form for talking a lot. An agent who threw in right away a proviso about it being tough to get Giovinco out of Toronto.

As others have said, until Seba wants to leave, he's staying. There is no indication he wants to leave. There is no indicationa Chinese team wants to spend a bucket load on any player from outside of Europe.

And, lets be blunt here, Tevez was a Man U guy - that has HUGE cachet in China. A Juve sub who did well in Toronto - not so much. We love Giovinco but outside of MLS circles, most of the world have no idea who he is.

Chinese teams don't need foreigners to win - they need them to sell tickets. Giovinco doesn't move that needle.

ensco
01-25-2017, 07:06 PM
^So Pelle from Southampton moved the needle? Or Teixeira?

Careers are short. Guys generally follow the money. I am old enough to remember when the NASL absolutely cleaned Europe out of every guy that hit 30 - Cruyff, Beckenbauer, George Best, Chinaglia, Neeskens, Gordon Banks .... Peter Lorimer, Eusebio and Bettega here in Toronto.

Not one of these guys "wanted" to come, and most of them could've stayed in far more comfortable situations closer to home.

Richard
01-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Bez said a whole bunch of absolutely nothing. Which actually means something.

He doesn't actually owe anyone an answer, but this "written offer" stuff makes me laugh. He just expects us to nod, as if we all just fell off the turnip truck. Like TFC sets the rules for how world football works.

I'd say it's now more than 50/50 that this is happening.

I highly doubt Giovinco is going because of his family, he has good community support in Toronto and I don't think he would want to upset his family life.

OgtheDim
01-25-2017, 07:12 PM
^So Pelle from Southampton moved the needle? Or Teixeira?

Teixera is an outlier - why he keeps getting contracts like that is beyond me. Pelle is about EPL cred.

PopePouri
01-25-2017, 07:53 PM
Teixera is an outlier - why he keeps getting contracts like that is beyond me. Pelle is about EPL cred.

Here's a list of the overseas players. Only a small percentage "move the needle". They just make the team better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Chinese_Super_League

OgtheDim
01-25-2017, 08:06 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks.

ensco
01-25-2017, 08:08 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks.

I still hope you are right!

PopePouri
01-25-2017, 09:34 PM
China's offer is $21 million a year.

Detroit_TFC
01-25-2017, 09:54 PM
We were so close to a drama-free off season. Thanks, China!

ensco
01-25-2017, 09:57 PM
There are no words.

Oldtimer
01-25-2017, 10:15 PM
China's offer is $21 million a year.

Even MLSE won't match that. Unbelievable cash.

reggie
01-25-2017, 10:18 PM
if true,how can he not take that,the transfer fee has to be in the 25 mil range.

Red CB Toronto
01-25-2017, 10:28 PM
Wonder if the Italian restaurants will be as good as what he gets to experience here. China is a strange beast to me. They have gone after the biggest names and in some cases actually got them as such with Drogba and Anelka. The thing is no one really stayed there that long, they seem after a while to want to leave even though they are leaving money on the table.

Red CB Toronto
01-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Now is the real question, are Bez and Bill Manning preparing a proposal to present to the board regarding giving Seba a raise if he does come back and says he wants to explore the China offer? If its $21M, how high do you think the Reds would go to keep him?

Richard
01-25-2017, 10:51 PM
Now is the real question, are Bez and Bill Manning preparing a proposal to present to the board regarding giving Seba a raise if he does come back and says he wants to explore the China offer? If its $21M, how high do you think the Reds would go to keep him?

If the $20M is true its pretty much a done deal.

MLS FO is going to have to step up if they don't want their MPV to leave, MLSE could feasibly counter with 10M, but I think anything beyond that is out of the question.

OgtheDim
01-25-2017, 10:53 PM
The quote I saw was 20 million Euros wages. That is more then the reality of what Tevez is getting. Heck that is more than the after tax amount Messi and Ronaldo get. Paint me sceptical.

I'd like to hear confirmation from someone covering Asian football first though. I'm also a tad leery of this aspect of the story coming from one journo in Italy. I listened to the interview with Totera tonight and although I think the salary amount is significant, and obviously more than Seba is getting here, I also note it's talk coming all from one meeting between D'Amico and somebody involved in Chinese football. Of course the agent is going to say it's big - that's his job.

I think D'Amico is angling for something significant from MLS. Trying to bust the system open using the best player ever to play in MLS might be a step too far given the Billionaires owning the teams, but he's looking for some way to get his stable of players into MLS.

Yohan
01-25-2017, 10:54 PM
https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/824432281569939456

Tancredi PalmeriVerified account‏@tancredipalmeri (https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri) Follow

More

Giovinco has been offered 20m€ yearly wages from China!

spe18
01-25-2017, 11:07 PM

Keep in mind, this is also in USD. With the exchange rate the way it’s been, this could be a factor too.

MightyDM
01-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Bez saying no formal offer means there has been an offer, but it's verbal, not written.

maybe we could get Payet from West Ham. Comparable but a downgrade to Seba.

they must be offering incredible omen for Bez and Vanney not to simply say " No."

Until the playoff run, I thought we had to be jettisoning one of our DP's for financial reasons. The playoff run made this seem less likely as they earned millions from the home dates (30,000 times say $75 plus concessions per home date is a lot of revenue ) and even then I thought it would be Bradley who would go.

I really hope that they fight to keep Seba. It's such a joy watching him play.

Oldtimer
01-25-2017, 11:17 PM
If the $20M is true its pretty much a done deal.

Nothing is done. Giovinco if he was considering it would ask players who played in China what their experience was and think carefully. Money is a lot but it's not everything.

Canary10
01-25-2017, 11:21 PM
The quote I saw was 20 million Euros wages. That is more then the reality of what Tevez is getting. Heck that is more than the after tax amount Messi and Ronaldo get. Paint me sceptical.

I'd like to hear confirmation from someone covering Asian football first though. I'm also a tad leery of this aspect of the story coming from one journo in Italy. I listened to the interview with Totera tonight and although I think the salary amount is significant, and obviously more than Seba is getting here, I also note it's talk coming all from one meeting between D'Amico and somebody involved in Chinese football. Of course the agent is going to say it's big - that's his job.

I think D'Amico is angling for something significant from MLS. Trying to bust the system open using the best player ever to play in MLS might be a step too far given the Billionaires owning the teams, but he's looking for some way to get his stable of players into MLS.

Am I missing something? Is Tevez not making $40 million? The reported money for Giovinco seems plausible to me.

OgtheDim
01-25-2017, 11:22 PM
I'm going to put here what I quoted in the other thread about the reality of the Tevez deal - don't trust Euro based journalists on this stuff.

The total deal over two years is reported to be £32.5m ($40mUS) including the transfer fee, which works out at £226,000 per week and that would place Tevez significantly behind the reported salaries for Cristiano Ronaldo (£288,000 after tax) and Lionel Messi (£256,000 after tax).

If you look at that the transfer fee was about £10m for Tevez.

The salary mentioned by Tancredi is £17 m a year - or about £340,000 a week. And on top of that a reported £25m transfer fee (which would be $31 million US).

Again, paint me skeptical on the details here - Giovinco paid more then Messi and Ronaldo?

Even if reality is the higher number involved ($31 millon) but over a 2 year contract and including a transfer fee, if Seba gets what Tevez got in salary, that means only a $2million transfer fee. This makes no sense either.

I suspect thus the pay amount is less then what Tevez is getting in reality and the transfer fee is supposed to be about the same. Lets say £200K a week, which is about $12m US a year. Worth looking at. BUT, worth moving to China for? And is $12 million in transfer fee enough to pay for all the stuff TFC would have to change with a January sale of their main marketing tool, especially as MLS takes a cut? Doubtful. They'd hold out for $20 million.

I think there's enough in this to get Seba thinking and less to this then the figures being put out.

Like ensco, though, I'm coming around to this being 50/50 him going or not. That's a significant pay increase for a guy with maybe 5 more years of playing time (he turns 30 this week, IIRC). If his MLS contract ends after 2018, is he going to get the same pay as he does now? Doubtful.

The key to all this, as many have said, is going to be Seba's young family. If they don't want to go, I don't think he goes.

Canary10
01-25-2017, 11:35 PM
I haven't seem a transfer fee mentioned. I've just seen this from Palmeri:

ensco
01-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Money is a lot but it's not everything.

If they offer him similar money, sure.

Otherwise, yeah, it's everything.

OgtheDim
01-25-2017, 11:46 PM
I haven't seem a transfer fee mentioned. I've just seen this from Palmeri:

Yeah, I know, I was just basing that on Tottera and other twitter people but probably not that amount - which is why I go back to what TFC/MLS would want.

Yohan
01-26-2017, 12:07 AM

Money does have a huge influence in a player's decision making, but let's say your family doesn't want to move. How much is your family's happiness worth?

Different people have different motivations

Red CB Toronto
01-26-2017, 03:47 AM
Well in terms of average salaries the MLS is just behind China, but is still quite the jump. The CSL is very much like the MLS in that its a top heavy league in terms of salaries. A domestic squad player is China makes about 60K.

http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2016/11/14/20161114155419373_38898.jpg

burlington Red
01-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Money does have a huge influence in a player's decision making, but let's say your family doesn't want to move. How much is your family's happiness worth?

Different people have different motivations

exactly look at Payet at West Ham, he wants to return to France as his family are so homesick. He's actually going to take a pay cut to move. He's going the wrong way about it of course by going on strike. But it just shows how much your family plays into these things. Payet's family are so homesick that they can't settle, yet you can be in Marseille from London in just under 2 hrs. Italy to China is a lot further than that plus of course the lifestyle is completely different.
Daniel Taylor who writes in The Guardian did an article, here is a couple extracts from it:
"Wayne Rooney has already had one offer and, though it didn’t get very far at all, he hasn’t completely ruled out the idea of China even if, money aside, he hasn’t heard too much that is appealing. Rooney’s advisers went on a fact‑finding mission to China last spring and reported back that the pitches were appalling, the standard as bad as everyone thought, and the referees even worse, in a league blackened by tales of match-fixing and bribery.
Rooney might also remember Manchester United’s pre-season friendly against FC Shenzhen in Macau in 2007 and what came out, four years later, about the referee taking 100,000 Hong Kong dollars (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/dec/20/chinese-referee-fixing-manchester-united) (roughly £8,000) to fix the coin toss."

ensco
01-26-2017, 07:43 AM
I get that Seba might turn down an extra 13 million euros a year because his wife doesn't like the air pollution... but let's not kid ourselves, this is not Italy, he is already far from home, and it's hardly likely

oh and Happy Birthday Seba - from the Juve PR machine (who have amusingly rediscovered their former "star")

https://twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/824572870927867904

Areathrasher
01-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Tancredi Palmeri is full of shit. Don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

brad
01-26-2017, 08:21 AM
China is a different story right now. It is a government run league where the government pays the salaries. The same rules apply to privately owned clubs don't hold here. I would not be surprised one bit if the offer is as advertised.

If that is the offer, he is as good as gone.

I wonder what the tax rate is on high earners in China?

Areathrasher
01-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Of the teams in China that could offer that amount to him - not all the clubs are throwing around the massive cash - they are all full up with foreigner spaces and most have to cut one or two due to the new regulations.

OgtheDim
01-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Tancredi Palmeri is full of shit. Don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Yeah, on that...he's got form for being wrong.

https://twitter.com/robmadden86/status/824607520756998144

Areathrasher
01-26-2017, 09:56 AM
To use a hockey reference

DiMarzio is the Bob McKenzie of Italy
Palmeri is the Eklund

jabbronies
01-26-2017, 10:25 AM

Ya I know, that's why I asked the question. Is China Super League seen as a stronger league than MLS? One that could possibly get him back on the NT radar?

Areathrasher
01-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Looks like they are having some fun in the dressing room with the rumors...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3G1Hc_XUAEz8l0.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3G1IScWIAA1CZQ.jpg

Oldtimer
01-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Ya I know, that's why I asked the question. Is China Super League seen as a stronger league than MLS? One that could possibly get him back on the NT radar?

I would compare it to MLS in the 1990's, only with DPs. i.e. if Giovinco goes there it will be for the cash, not for NT opportunity. Soccer is not popular with most Chinese youth, and the few genuinely talented domestics in the league draw huge salaries. That being said the country's leader is a huge fan and has made teaching the game mandatory. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/china-announces-plan-become-soccer-powerhouse-host-world-cup-part-xi-jinpings-chinese-1849208

ag futbol
01-26-2017, 11:00 AM

Yeah, as long as they actually pay (unlike some places out there) it's tough to turn down.

We have to remember that while these guys are wealthy compared to the average person, they look at it on a different scale. 5x your salary is 5x your salary no matter who you are.

I think uprooting your family is tough and toronto is more "familiar" culturally but it's still a question mark in your head whether to make a move or not. He's shown a willingness to think differently and make it work, is what I'm trying to say. China is an extension of this should he want to pursue it.

ensco
01-26-2017, 11:01 AM
I would compare it to MLS in the 1990's, only with DPs. i.e. if Giovinco goes there it will be for the cash, not for NT opportunity. Soccer is not popular with most Chinese youth, and the few genuinely talented domestics in the league draw huge salaries. That being said the country's leader is a huge fan and has made teaching the game mandatory. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/china-announces-plan-become-soccer-powerhouse-host-world-cup-part-xi-jinpings-chinese-1849208

Seriously? This is an all time misrepresentation ....Have you been to China?

They are crazy for soccer, big EPL games draw a hundred million or something on TV. It's the single biggest EPL market outside the UK. They don't have the youth sports culture that exists in most of the rest of the world, because school and helping out at home is too important. But China cares a lot more about "soccer" than Canada or the US does. The big teams are massive there, much bigger than here.

It'd be as if the FA Cup Final got Super Bowl ratings here. That's the opportunity their domestic league there is trying to figure out.

Oldtimer
01-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Seriously? Have you been to China? They are crazy for soccer. They don't have the youth sports culture that exists in most of the rest of the world, because school and helping out at home is too important. But China cares a lot more about "soccer" than Canada does. The big teams are massive there, much bigger than here.

We are talking league quality, not fandom. League quality currently can't be compared to a top league. The question was if joining the CPL would Giovinco have a greater chance of re-joining the Italian NT? I think not.

Canary10
01-26-2017, 11:05 AM
The fact that they're joking about it at TFC's practice today seems to be a good sign.

ensco
01-26-2017, 11:08 AM
We are talking league quality, not fandom. League quality currently can't be compared to a top league. The question was if joining the CPL would Giovinco have a greater chance of re-joining the Italian NT? I think not.

Ahh I misunderstood. Yeah I agree, neither gets him that.

burlington Red
01-26-2017, 11:31 AM
this kind of stuff is common practice in Europe, that's why I think there isn't anything in it at all. I'm a UTD supporter, for about 5 yrs we were linked every summer with Gaitan, honestly not just rumours but so called expert reporters on Portuguese league, saying it was a done deal. The newspaper A BOLA actually reported at one point everything was agreed and that Gaitan was saying goodbye to his team-mates. They work on the principle of throwing so much shit that some is bound to stick at one point. This whole rumour mill originated because at one point Ferguson made remarks about how well Gaitian played in a certain game, the press ran with it. It's no coincidence his agent was Mendes, who's been involved with deals in and out of Utd during the same time frame of the Gaitan rumours with Falcoa, Di Maria, De Gea and Mourinho amongst others. Agents are in contact with reps from different clubs all the time, as other have mentioned don't be surprised if his agent is using Gio's name to work a move for one of his other clients or to try and get a pay raise for Gio.

Phil
01-26-2017, 11:35 AM
When you have a good talented player stuff like this happens. The funny bit is I saw a recent article detailing how foreign players are being forced out of the Chinese super league in an effort to promote domestic talent.

Initial B
01-26-2017, 12:39 PM
One thing that I'm pretty sure Toronto has something no Chinese team can offer: Little Italy. How important do you think it is where Seba can walk around a neighbourhood with his family and interact socially in his native language? I'm sure that has helped in his transition to North America.

OgtheDim
01-26-2017, 01:07 PM
http://www.fcinter1908.it/ultimora/giovinco-la-cina-mi-hanno-contattato-non-torno-in-italia-il-barcellona-e-ventura/

Giovinco to Sky News

(Per Laura Armstrong)

https://twitter.com/lauraarmy/status/824676817701310467

I like the last two lines

Il regalo che vorresti per il futuro?

Il titolo che ho perso l’anno scorso.

He wants that title.

burlington Red
01-26-2017, 03:05 PM
wee bit of topic in that no reference to Gio but good article about the whole money situation in Chinese super league

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/24/many-good-footballers-moving-china/

Areathrasher
01-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Tianjin are rumored to be the team in for Seba - they are coached by Fabio Cannavaro . They are also linked with Pato - they wont be able to sign both.

https://twitter.com/Cynegeticus/status/824705761406320640

Pato is a Kia Joochabarin client so i'd say this is likely to happen.

burlington Red
01-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Tianjin Quanjian getting linked with everyone it seems. They were the ones that wanted Costa last week , yesterday Sky Italia had them linked with a bid for Leceister striker Slimani. I know they recently signed Witsel from Zenit.

C.Ronaldo
01-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Here's a list of the overseas players. Only a small percentage "move the needle". They just make the team better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Chinese_Super_League

that coaching list in unbelievable

C.Ronaldo
01-26-2017, 03:32 PM
When you have a good talented player stuff like this happens. The funny bit is I saw a recent article detailing how foreign players are being forced out of the Chinese super league in an effort to promote domestic talent.

red that too, the govt is not fond of the these players transfers that just send money out the door

OgtheDim
01-26-2017, 03:59 PM
The affect of the new foreign rule is to get rid of the Asian player role - a few Aussies having to leave.

trane
01-26-2017, 04:08 PM
http://www.juvenews.eu/le-voci/giovinco-offerta-dalla-cina-ma-sto-bene-a-toronto-e-non-voglio-tornare-in-italia/?intcmp=giovinco-cina

Giovinco say, there is an offer from China, but I am happy in Toronto, and I do not want to return to Italy. Again do not have time to translate full article.

Bobo
01-26-2017, 04:52 PM
^ Football Italia did it for you.

http://www.football-italia.net/97471/giovinco-barca-no-china-maybe

"I am happy here, but we’ll see what the club wants to do." Reassuring.

leedsandTFC
01-26-2017, 05:33 PM
so...do we think he'll stay?

spe18
01-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Seriously? This is an all time misrepresentation ....Have you been to China?

They are crazy for soccer, big EPL games draw a hundred million or something on TV. It's the single biggest EPL market outside the UK. They don't have the youth sports culture that exists in most of the rest of the world, because school and helping out at home is too important. But China cares a lot more about "soccer" than Canada or the US does. The big teams are massive there, much bigger than here.

It'd be as if the FA Cup Final got Super Bowl ratings here. That's the opportunity their domestic league there is trying to figure out.

Having just come back from Hong Kong myself (ok so administered separately from Mainland China, but still), I can tell you soccer is absolutely huge. I looked around at a betting house (Hong Jockey Club), which I believe is the only one allowed to offer this there legally), and I was absolutely astounded as to how many people were surrounding TV screens watching and betting a match in the A-League (yes, as in the top league in Australia). There were many, many, many people, to the point where it was hard to move around.

the reasons you move to Canada and the reasons you move to china couldn't be further apart.

And I wouldnt lump China with rest of Asia

Japan / korea / taiwan don't really need a second thought if your offered a boat of money

Mainland china, you have to consider political climate

Also, in response to this comment:

I was in Taiwan too (for two weeks), as this is where most of my relatives (extended) are. Based on my first hand account, it is amazing just how much political freedom they have, considering just how much of a threat Mainland China is. Generally the mood there seems to be quite happy.

When it comes to “political climate”, I have a niece in Taiwan who says they feel so fortunate to have democracy there and the right to vote. That is why voter turnout is generally quite high. Likewise, I have a cousin in Hong Kong who has felt things have gone quite downhill ever since the handover. Despite his best efforts, I could not quite fully figure out their political/legislature system there. A major reason been that ultimately, Beijing has a say in how its affairs are run, even though that was not the way it was intended to be run.

trane
01-26-2017, 06:19 PM
I hope he does not go. BUT if he goes WE HAVE TO GET TOP $$$ FOR HIM. Which I think 20 Million is the least. So we can turn around and buy someone of similar ability and age.

ensco
01-26-2017, 08:05 PM
This has the high potential to lead to acrimony between the club and Gio.

Say the Chinese have put $50M on the table, for three years. They tell Gio and d'Amico: go and negotiate your exit, you get to keep whatever doesn't go to TFC. (This is where Bez's "written offer" fiction falls apart - nobody at TFC will ever deal with the Chinese team, in something like this.)

Now, in a normal market, how could the transfer for a 30 year old playing in a secondary league be more than $5M? That is what d'Amico will be saying.

But if I am Manning, screw that, I want $20M (same ballpark as what Arsenal got for 30 year old Thierry Henry). I mean, why not? This wasn't your idea.

But that would leave Gio making $10M a year in China ... not enough to move.

Which would leave him here, and a bit bitter. Maybe a lot bitter - after all, he could have made $45M, instead of $21M, over the next 3 years, if only TFC were reasonable.

I'm speculating about amounts but you get the idea. This is tricky.

Red CB Toronto
01-26-2017, 08:32 PM
Not saying this is going to happen, but if a player forces he way out more often than not the team complies with it and sells him. Do you really want a player who does not want to be here. Now I wonder if Seba does decide Toronto is where he wants to be, does he tell d'Amico to use the offer from China to leverage more money from TFC. Something along the lines of, Seba is happy to be here but man that $21M a season is really enticing,why don't we work on something to keep him from pursuing it? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Say the Chinese have put $50M on the table, for three years. They tell Gio and d'Amico: go and negotiate your exit, you get to keep whatever doesn't go to TFC. (This is where Bez's "written offer" fiction falls apart - nobody at TFC will ever deal with the Chinese team, in something like this.)

Now, in a normal market, how could the transfer for a 30 year old playing in a secondary league be more than $5M? That is what d'Amico will be saying.

But if I am Manning, screw that, I want $20M (same ballpark as what Arsenal got for 30 year old Thierry Henry). I mean, why not? This wasn't your idea.

Which would leave him here, and a bit bitter. Maybe a lot bitter - after all, he could have made $45M, instead of $21M, over the next 3 years, if only TFC were reasonable.

OgtheDim
01-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Depends on how its done.

If China only put up $50 million over 3 years, that's not enough. D'Amico can go back to the club and ask but ultimately its the original offer that falls down there, not TFC.

So, D'Amico goes back to the Chinese team and says its not enough because TFC has a minimum that is x and he has a minimum that is y.

Up to the Chinese team to meet x+y, not TFC to reduce x enough for Seba to get to y level.

C.Ronaldo
01-27-2017, 09:53 AM
Having just come back from Hong Kong myself (ok so administered separately from Mainland China, but still), I can tell you soccer is absolutely huge. I looked around at a betting house (Hong Jockey Club), which I believe is the only one allowed to offer this there legally), and I was absolutely astounded as to how many people were surrounding TV screens watching and betting a match in the A-League (yes, as in the top league in Australia). There were many, many, many people, to the point where it was hard to move around.

[FONT=&amp]Also, in response to this comment:

I was in Taiwan too (for two weeks), as this is where most of my relatives (extended) are. Based on my first hand account, it is amazing just how much political freedom they have, considering just how much of a threat Mainland China is. Generally the mood there seems to be quite happy.

When it comes to “political climate”, I have a niece in Taiwan who says they feel so fortunate to have democracy there and the right to vote. That is why voter turnout is generally quite high. Likewise, I have a cousin in Hong Kong who has felt things have gone quite downhill ever since the handover. Despite his best efforts, I could not quite fully figure out their political/legislature system there. A major reason been that ultimately, Beijing has a say in how its affairs are run, even though that was not the way it was intended to be run.

hence all the riots in the past year or so

ensco
01-27-2017, 09:56 AM
Depends on how its done.

If China only put up $50 million over 3 years, that's not enough. D'Amico can go back to the club and ask but ultimately its the original offer that falls down there, not TFC.

So, D'Amico goes back to the Chinese team and says its not enough because TFC has a minimum that is x and he has a minimum that is y.

Up to the Chinese team to meet x+y, not TFC to reduce x enough for Seba to get to y level.

Sure. But that's not how Seba might see it.

C.Ronaldo
01-27-2017, 10:18 AM
i thought it was fifa rules that you must go through the club first when a player is under contract

ensco
01-27-2017, 10:20 AM
i thought it was fifa rules that you must go through the club first when a player is under contract

It is. But it's not how the super agent game works.

Areathrasher
01-27-2017, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't class D'Amico as a super agent. He's not on Mendes/Raiola/Joochabarins level tbf.

ensco
01-27-2017, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't class D'Amico as a super agent. He's not on Mendes/Raiola/Joochabarins level tbf.

I don't really know, but that sounds right.

But it seems obvious that the Chinese are dealing mostly (entirely?) with agents not clubs.

Areathrasher
01-27-2017, 11:17 AM
I don't really know, but that sounds right.

But it seems obvious that the Chinese are dealing mostly (entirely?) with agents not clubs.

Agents working on behalf of European clubs would be my take.

Initial B
01-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Toronto has one advantage that no team in China has: Little Italy.

How much of a price do you put on your family being able to interact socially in your native language and help your transition so you and your family feel at home?

Oldtimer
01-27-2017, 01:28 PM

These types of "total money" deals are common in Europe (due to financial fair play restrictions) and in MLS (due to the salary budget cap). Does anyone know if they are common in China?

Not to say that there is not a whole lot of potential for bad feelings, regardless of how this turns out, unless both player and club see things exactly the same way.

RealG-TFC
01-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Tianjin are rumored to be the team in for Seba - they are coached by Fabio Cannavaro . They are also linked with Pato - they wont be able to sign both.

https://twitter.com/Cynegeticus/status/824705761406320640

Pato is a Kia Joochabarin client so i'd say this is likely to happen.

So this can only be good for us right?

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/825006906913779712

Areathrasher
01-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Likely

reggie
01-27-2017, 02:19 PM
if the offer was true and the club turned it down,how pissed off will GIO be this season?

notthesun
01-27-2017, 02:23 PM
if the offer was true and the club turned it down,how pissed off will GIO be this season?

He'd only be pissed if he absolutely wants to go, and that doesn't look like the case so far.

He'll leave if he decides that's what he wants. TFC is not going to hold him hostage. We're not Montreal.

Oldtimer
01-27-2017, 04:21 PM
So this can only be good for us right?

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/825006906913779712

It's probably like we had when we went after Giovinco. We also had a couple of back-up targets. In this case Pato and Giovinco may be two potential targets for one spot.

Oldtimer
01-27-2017, 04:22 PM
We're not Montreal.

g:D so true

Ossington Mental Youth
01-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Toronto has one advantage that no team in China has: Little Italy.

How much of a price do you put on your family being able to interact socially in your native language and help your transition so you and your family feel at home?

This, he's a god here, gets a taste of home with all the benefits no draw backs and makes a shit ton of cash. What's the flight time to Italy? 8 hours?

I dont see see it happening, not worried

Redcoe15
01-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Money doesn't guarantee you happiness. See Jermain Defoe.

Alixir
01-28-2017, 06:40 PM
This, he's a god here, gets a taste of home with all the benefits no draw backs and makes a shit ton of cash. What's the flight time to Italy? 8 hours?

I dont see see it happening, not worriedon top of that he was not liking the fact he could not walk around in public in Italy and was very happy that he could walk around Toronto without people bothering him. He is able to have a personal life in Toronto. That will definitely will not be the case in China.

ensco
01-28-2017, 07:01 PM
None of us can see into Gio's heart, but I am a bit doubtful about the hold Toronto might have on him.

Italy is a long flight to both Toronto and Shanghai. Toronto has legit Italian culture, but it's not Italy. There are a lot of people in Italy who would see more upside/adventure in a stint in China than a stint in Toronto (Marco Polo and all that). China isn't Grozny, or wherever Etoo went. It's pretty interesting.

Gio has already made the call that he is on the mercenary spectrum (as opposed to the home cooking spectrum) of world football.

I hope he stays, but mostly guys go for the incremental money, if the differntial is more than, say, 25%

(I am not challenging any of his statements about his feelings re his time here. They are sincere I am sure0

Donald Duck
01-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Tianjin just signed pato. Gio will stay.

GuelphStorm2007
01-29-2017, 01:22 AM
Pato signed good Gio will stay

ensco
01-29-2017, 06:31 PM
Seba confirming that Barca had interest, that has me worried. Why suddenly talk about that this week?

There are absolutely wild stories coming out today about Rooney.

It's not going to be possible to know that we are in the clear until the end of February (end of Chinese transfer window)

Red CB Toronto
01-29-2017, 07:16 PM
Seba confirming that Barca had interest, that has me worried. Why suddenly talk about that this week?

It's not going to be possible to know that we are in the clear until the end of February (end of Chinese transfer window)

This Rooney offer is insane, especially after the 650,000 a week Tevez signed for.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-ready-sanction-wayne-9713039

Richard
01-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Football has gone mad. It just makes you not want to watch anymore.

Brooker
01-29-2017, 07:38 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vyWabqX0O84/VgTeQ82FDmI/AAAAAAAABZQ/jn1ncHSZ7SA/s400/tumblr_mntiolhySW1snpc3lo4_r1_500.gif

TFC Tifoso
01-30-2017, 09:34 AM

yes that was from last January....ha also said he rejected it right away because he "didn't want to be a ball boy".....

isn't the worldwide window over tomorrow? I think the extra month in China would be only for moves between teams within the league or not?.....

Areathrasher
01-30-2017, 10:50 AM
yes that was from last January....ha also said he rejected it right away because he "didn't want to be a ball boy".....

isn't the worldwide window over tomorrow? I think the extra month in China would be only for moves between teams within the league or not?.....

Nope. Plenty of windows still open. The MLS one isn't even open yet.

Windows are only for the registration of players and if yours is open you can buy from anywhere in the world.

France, England, Scotland and Greece: From 1 to 31 January 2017 at 23:59.
Germany: From 1 to 31 January at 18:00.
Spain: From 2 to 31 January at 23:59.
Italy: From 3 to 31 January at 23:00.
Netherlands: From 3 to 31 January at 23:59.
Portugal: From 3 January to 2 February at 00:59.
Denmark: From 5 to 31 January at 23:59.
Turkey: From 5 January to 1 February at 22:59.
Switzerland: From 16 January to 15 February at 23:59.
Russia: From 25 January to 24 February at 23:59.
China 1st Jan - 28th Feb
MLS

Primary Transfer Window | Feb. 14 – May 8, 2017
Secondary Transfer Window | July 10 – Aug. 9, 2017

Canary10
01-30-2017, 10:56 AM
This Rooney offer is insane, especially after the 650,000 a week Tevez signed for.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-ready-sanction-wayne-9713039

I think we confirmed Tevez isn't making anywhere near that much. The fact that a newspaper is still saying it now is poor. Tevez is still making a ton of money though.

reggie
01-30-2017, 11:48 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/754969192730861568/r7IkF3b7_bigger.jpgTancredi PalmeriVerified account‏@tancredipalmeri (https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri) Follow

More

Giovinco's agent: "We'll talk to Toronto and will go deep in the situation and the will of Giovinco. The bid from China is pretty important"

i wonder if the offer is still open?

Bobo
01-30-2017, 11:51 AM
^ I'd take anything Palmeri says with a grain of salt.

leedsandTFC
01-30-2017, 01:31 PM
I bet they will use this China offer to get a couple million more from MLSE. And I mean, fair play; guys sells jerseys, tickets and wins gane weekly for us.

ag futbol
01-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Fair. And he's on the last year of his deal.

I think it's in everyone's interest to re-up this thing. This man is their draw at the gates.

burlington Red
01-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Fair. And he's on the last year of his deal.

I think it's in everyone's interest to re-up this thing. This man is their draw at the gates.

did he not sign for us on a 4 yr contract

molenshtain
01-30-2017, 03:13 PM
it's a 5 year contract.

ag futbol
01-30-2017, 03:40 PM
I must be mixing things up.... I thought Bradley was on 5 and gio was on something less...

molenshtain
01-30-2017, 03:54 PM
iirc all the dp's signed five year deals.

Areathrasher
01-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Bradley's deal is 6 years

Bradley gets an even bigger bump, a six-year, $36 million contract

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/01/13/toronto_fcs_tim_leiweke_reaches_for_the_stars_kell y.html

ag futbol
01-30-2017, 07:03 PM
^ I stand corrected! Not sure where I get these ideas....

TFC Tifoso
01-31-2017, 08:17 AM
Nope. Plenty of windows still open. The MLS one isn't even open yet.

Windows are only for the registration of players and if yours is open you can buy from anywhere in the world.

thanks....I knew some windows closed at different times, and don't know why but I always had it in my head that players could move wherever they like in the world only during January window...then after that teams could only buy within their league or unattached players until the leagues' individual windows closed.

ensco
02-01-2017, 08:41 AM
This guy, Odion Ighalo, whom I had barely heard of, and who has 3 goals in the last year and wasn't playing at Watford, got GBP $200-300K/week (USD 10-15M/year) a year for 4 years yesterday. Looks like the club got GBP 20M.

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier-league/story/3051319/premier-league-clubs-make-first-transfer-window-profit-report

So the Chinese shelled out $65-80M for a guy who, other than being three years younger, is not as impressive as Gio. Ighalo scored 20 goals in the Championship, but didn't do much in the EPL. He has nothing like Gio's name tecogntion, years at Juve, or Italian MNT background.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652026-odion-ighalo-to-changchun-yatai-latest-transfer-details-comments-and-reaction

I think the money would be more for Gio. Tevez's team in Shanghai was rumoured to be in Ighalo too, btw.

I don't see how he stays given these sums. TFC/MLS could get $20M or more for him.

burlington Red
02-01-2017, 09:13 AM
This guy, Odion Ighalo, whom I had barely heard of, and who has 3 goals in the last year ans wasn't playing at Watford, got GBP $200-300K/week (USD 10-15M/year) a year for 4 years yesterday. Looks like the club got GBP 20M.

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier-league/story/3051319/premier-league-clubs-make-first-transfer-window-profit-report

So the Chinese shelled out $65-80M for a guy who, other than being three years younger, is not as impressive as Gio. Ighalo scored 20 goals in the Championship, but didn't do much in the EPL. He has nothing like Gio's goals at Juve or Italian MNT background.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652026-odion-ighalo-to-changchun-yatai-latest-transfer-details-comments-and-reaction

Man Utd were heavily linked with him in Jan last yr. Depends on what paper you read, at one stage it was a done deal for 35 million quid but ultimately it didn't happen. He was excellent last season for Watford, really impressive. A lot of foreign players do that though, really impressive in their first season in the PL then struggle in the 2nd season in PL eg Martial at Utd. He's been poor though at Watford this season, difficult club though as they constantly change mangers. His goal tally though overall is still very good for Watford, a lot of them were scored in the championship but that's a tough league to get goals in also. Shows the power the big leagues have in China, still prepared to pay top dollar even on players struggling big time this season

Areathrasher
02-01-2017, 09:27 AM
He'd 15 goals in the Prem last season which attracted the interest from China. They were trying to buy him this past summer but he turned it down.

He apparently didn't want to go but due to the money and his dip in form, Watford essentially forced him out.

Canary10
02-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Man Utd were heavily linked with him in Jan last yr. Depends on what paper you read, at one stage it was a done deal for 35 million quid but ultimately it didn't happen. He was excellent last season for Watford, really impressive. A lot of foreign players do that though, really impressive in their first season in the PL then struggle in the 2nd season in PL eg Martial at Utd. He's been poor though at Watford this season, difficult club though as they constantly change mangers. His goal tally though overall is still very good for Watford, a lot of them were scored in the championship but that's a tough league to get goals in also. Shows the power the big leagues have in China, still prepared to pay top dollar even on players struggling big time this season

Yeah, he was excellent last year. In fantasy terms, a top budget option striker.

ensco
02-01-2017, 09:38 AM
So he had half a good season in a top league.

Sounds like a real catch.

Canary10
02-01-2017, 09:39 AM
So he had half a good season in a top league.

Sounds like a real catch.

Lol. Well, you need budget option strikers who actually score....

I agree with your point. I find it hard to imagine there isn't serious money being waived in front of Giovinco to make the move. Probably three-four times what he's making now.

notthesun
02-01-2017, 11:33 PM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/2/1/14481016/sebastian-giovinco-agent-is-probably-angling-for-a-new-contract-toronto-fc-mls-transfer-news

Bez was on Totera's show. Giovinco talk starts at 9:55.

He's asked about a possible contract extension/re-negotiation and Bez says those talks have been going on already on and off for a bit, and will likely continue. Basically hinting that D'Amico is angling to get Giovinco a raise. TFC still hasn't been contacted by any Chinese clubs and we don't even know exactly who is interested outside of one pretty weak rumor.

I don't think this was ever close. In fact I suspect it's D'Amico that is pushing this more than Giovinco. D'Amico can get a raise for his client, earn himself some extra cash, and get his foot in the door in China all at once. But this is a negotiation tactic. Money-wise Giovinco may want more, but I don't think he has any interest in leaving Toronto.

jloome
02-01-2017, 11:52 PM
This guy, Odion Ighalo, whom I had barely heard of, and who has 3 goals in the last year and wasn't playing at Watford, got GBP $200-300K/week (USD 10-15M/year) a year for 4 years yesterday. Looks like the club got GBP 20M.

So the Chinese shelled out $65-80M for a guy who, other than being three years younger, is not as impressive as Gio. Ighalo scored 20 goals in the Championship, but didn't do much in the EPL. He has nothing like Gio's name tecogntion, years at Juve, or Italian MNT background.

I think the money would be more for Gio. Tevez's team in Shanghai was rumoured to be in Ighalo too, btw.

I don't see how he stays given these sums. TFC/MLS could get $20M or more for him.

I don't think Bez is lying; there hasn't been an offer, they're just using it for contract negotiations. He probably has a reopener this year.

leedsandTFC
02-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Ighalo was one of the best strikers in the premier league last season, hence the big draw/ money.

ensco
02-02-2017, 12:50 AM
I don't think Bez is lying; there hasn't been an offer, they're just using it for contract negotiations. He probably has a reopener this year.

We totally disagree about who is likelier to be dissembling here. Imho, there is no way Gio is making this up, or would allow his agent to make it up.

I am not saying Bez is lying, although he's moved off the "written offer" thing he started with. So they haven't spoken to a Chinese club, fine.

I believe it's far likelier that the club are hiding behind this narrative because they don't want to talk about the discussions that are going on with the agent. Which is fine.

ensco
02-02-2017, 12:55 AM
I am kind of amazed both at the number of people who think Gio and his agent are making this up, and the number of people last year who accepted the rumour that Bradley could have been transferred last year (which I thought was absurd).

notthesun
02-02-2017, 01:59 AM
I don't think they're making it up, I'm sure D'Amico has actually approached Chinese clubs. I don't believe for a second Giovinco is seriously considering playing there though.

Red CB Toronto
02-02-2017, 02:26 AM
We totally disagree about who is likelier to be dissembling here. Imho, there is no way Gio is making this up, or would allow his agent to make it up.

I am not saying Bez is lying, although he's moved off the "written offer" thing he started with. So they haven't spoken to a Chinese club, fine.

I believe it's far likelier that the club are hiding behind this narrative because they don't want to talk about the discussions that are going on with the agent. Which is fine.

What was behind this written offer thing that Bez had been talking about?

boozilla
02-02-2017, 03:22 AM
At 28 Seba turned mercenary, moved from Juve's bench and took $7M/yr here. His 2 MVP-calibre MLS seasons still failed to impress Conte. At 30, there could be even more ridiculous $ in China. I'd hate to see him go, but football careers are short and I would not hold it against him for wanting to take care of his family.

Brooker
02-02-2017, 07:07 AM
These people are taking care of their great-great-great-greatgrandchildren. How much do they need.

OgtheDim
02-02-2017, 07:15 AM
The fact the club keep saying "there is no formal offer" indicates to me the club have heard something informal but neither Seba nor TFC think its good enough. Its an informal number of some sort, probably passed through the agent to TFC. Its not good enough for one party or the other to begin negotiations but is enough to allow D'Amico to publically say something is going on and thus point out to TFC his guy deserves something.

If the informal discussion numbers from China were good enough or even close to good enough, this deal would have been done by now.

Red CB Toronto
02-02-2017, 07:48 AM
The fact the club keep saying "there is no formal offer" indicates to me the club have heard something informal but neither Seba nor TFC think its good enough. Its an informal number of some sort, probably passed through the agent to TFC. Its not good enough for one party or the other to begin negotiations but is enough to allow D'Amico to publically say something is going on and thus point out to TFC his guy deserves something.

If the informal discussion numbers from China were good enough or even close to good enough, this deal would have been done by now.

I am not sure about that, Seba may just want to stay here, who truly knows. As we know, sometimes come through the agent, who knows if he has even taken it to the Reds while they figure out exactly what Seba wants to do. Maybe use it just to leverage more cash from TFC. Lots of possibilities.

ensco
02-02-2017, 08:26 AM
If I was to guess, Seba would get his $15M for 3-4 years, but the issue is the transfer price. If I am MLS/TFC, I need a gigantic number (ie $20M) to do this.

I still say it will happen, as long as it is a big team (eg Shanghai, not Changchun). Seba is a way better signing than Ighalo at the same dollars (for sure in terms of marketing impact, and probably as a player as well)

You know who needs this as much as anyone? Leiweke. If this happens, he will get to run another MLS club.

burlington Red
02-02-2017, 02:38 PM
funny story circulating at the min in UK re Kevin Van Veen, who plays in 3rd tier of English football for Scunthorpe. Fox sport Netherlands report a so called 4 million quid offer from a Chinese team who another paper lists as Henan Jianye.
Scunthorpe manager gives a more balanced view of it saying contact was made to them from someone in China.
http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/scunthorpe-manager-graham-alexander-lifts-lid-on-kevin-van-veen-china-link/story-30106770-detail/story.html

here is the actual fox sports netherlands article
https://www.foxsports.nl/nieuws/artikel/1429313/kevin-van-veen-kan-naar-china-dit-ongelooflijk

Gazza_55
02-02-2017, 07:20 PM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/2/1/14481016/sebastian-giovinco-agent-is-probably-angling-for-a-new-contract-toronto-fc-mls-transfer-news

Bez was on Totera's show. Giovinco talk starts at 9:55.

He's asked about a possible contract extension/re-negotiation and Bez says those talks have been going on already on and off for a bit, and will likely continue. Basically hinting that D'Amico is angling to get Giovinco a raise. TFC still hasn't been contacted by any Chinese clubs and we don't even know exactly who is interested outside of one pretty weak rumor.

I don't think this was ever close. In fact I suspect it's D'Amico that is pushing this more than Giovinco. D'Amico can get a raise for his client, earn himself some extra cash, and get his foot in the door in China all at once. But this is a negotiation tactic. Money-wise Giovinco may want more, but I don't think he has any interest in leaving Toronto.

This. It's pure fantasy.

Canary10
02-03-2017, 09:34 AM
This. It's pure fantasy.

Why would you think it's pure fantasy? Chinese teams are paying huge cash that even the PL can't match. They have already poached one star MLS player, and Giovinco is a better player than him. The only thing that would shock me is if there isn't an offer. Doesn't mean he'll go, but it's really hard for me to imagine that there isn't fire behind this smoke.

Derko
02-03-2017, 09:55 AM
Well all speculation aside, we won't know until an actual offer and negotiations are reported and made public.
I don't think Seba wants to leave Toronto, but who knows, as was said previously, Football careers are short.

Red4ever
02-03-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm so glad I have not wasted time caring about this.

He's not going.

leedsandTFC
02-03-2017, 11:31 AM
chinese transfer window closes in 3.5 weeks and MLS season starts in a month.

No way he goes now, far too late and would sabotage our entire season.

jloome
02-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Why would you think it's pure fantasy?

Because the only source is his agent.

ensco
02-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Because the only source is his agent.

The agent and the player are one and the same.

A player of Giovinco's stature is not going to allow his agent to independently mess with his club relationship. You'd have to believe that Giovinco is in on the ruse, if you think it's a ruse.

I don't.

Richard
02-03-2017, 06:47 PM

A player of Giovinco's stature is not going to allow his agent to independently mess with his club relationship. You'd have to believe that Giovinco is in on the ruse, if you think it's a ruse.

I don't.

This right here.^^^

Oldtimer
02-03-2017, 06:59 PM
It's so TFC to have some off season drama.

Richard
02-03-2017, 07:05 PM
It's so TFC to have some off season drama.

In a way its good drama.

We have players who are highly coveted for various reason, much better than the days of having Mista's, cement footed players, and junk players who couldn't cut it in league 2.

burlington Red
02-04-2017, 09:32 AM

I don't.

Agents act independently of their clients all the time. Yaya toure temporarily lost his place in man city squad because of what his agent said publicly about his manager. So much so toure had to apologise. I think in this case Gio is onside with his agent in that they are looking more money. Simple as that.i don't think anyone would fault him for it, everybody would take a pay raise if they can get it. His agent realises this is probably his last chance of a big contract.this is how the murky world of football agents works. It's not nice but we have to accept it.

ensco
02-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Agents act independently of their clients all the time. Yaya toure temporarily lost his place in man city squad because of what his agent said publicly about his manager. So much so toure had to apologise. I think in this case Gio is onside with his agent in that they are looking more money. Simple as that.i don't think anyone would fault him for it, everybody would take a pay raise if they can get it. His agent realises this is probably his last chance of a big contract.this is how the murky world of football agents works. It's not nice but we have to accept it.

This is rare, it doesn't happen "all the time".

You do realize that this incident supports my point, not yours, right?

The Mirror or Daily Mail or whatever might assume that the agent was acting independently of Toure, but nobody else did, least of all Pep - he made Toure, not the agent, publicly grovel to fix it.

burlington Red
02-04-2017, 03:15 PM
This is rare, it doesn't happen "all the time".

You do realize that this incident supports my point, not yours, right?

The Mirror or Daily Mail or whatever might assume that the agent was acting independently of Toure, but nobody else did, least of all Pep - he made Toure, not the agent, publicly grovel to fix it.

I could give you a lengthy list of instances from this season alone where agents words have been detrimental to their clients needs. It is not rare by any means.You seem to not grasp the role agents play. This is classic posturing. If there was an offer, go to speak to the club not the press.
At the risk of derailing this thread, this will be last response to you on this. I don't agree at all with you on this but footballs a game of opinions and that's why we love it.

ensco
02-04-2017, 04:34 PM
I could give you a lengthy list of instances from this season alone where agents words have been detrimental to their clients needs. It is not rare by any means.You seem to not grasp the role agents play. This is classic posturing. If there was an offer, go to speak to the club not the press.
At the risk of derailing this thread, this will be last response to you on this. I don't agree at all with you on this but footballs a game of opinions and that's why we love it.

I grasp the complexities of agent/player/club life just fine.

I invite you and everyone here to google the phrase "football agent talks about offer" or similar - you'll find a lot of Gio links, a bunch about offers already rejected (eg Mendes re Ronaldo), and that's it.

You will not find any "lengthy list" of agents claiming current interest in players they represent that are under contract - heck I will take a single instance (besides Gio).

Agents are whipping boys for mgmt, and the press that are fed by mgmt, but any that are "habitually detrimental to their clients needs" don't keep clients for long.

burlington Red
02-04-2017, 05:36 PM
I grasp the complexities of agent/player/club life just fine.

I invite you and everyone here to google the phrase "football agent talks about offer" or similar - you'll find a lot of Gio links, a bunch about offers already rejected (eg Mendes re Ronaldo), and that's it.

You will not find any "lengthy list" of agents claiming current interest in players they represent that are under contract - heck I will take a single instance (besides Gio).

Agents are whipping boys for mgmt, and the press that are fed by mgmt, but any that are "habitually detrimental to their clients needs" don't keep clients for long.

Sorry folks. One last one I promise. You do not understand at all how agents work. You only follow mls and agents haven't infiltrated this league yet to the extent they have in other leagues. You didn't even know who ighalo was and had to backtrack on that, he was one of the top. strikers last season in pl.Look up aidy ward and tell me agents don't overstep their mark. He went ott on raheem sterling leaving Liverpool so much so that said berahino sacked him. Pm me if you want to pursue this.ibras agent just said he might play for Napoli next season. Jose just said 2 weeks prior he's playing for utd next season 100%.
You are not always right. No-one is. You are going into things you have no idea about. You don't know how agents work and think. Football agents work to a different moral compass. As I say pm me. I can give u a list of examples.

ensco
02-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Friend, why on earth do you think I only follow MLS? I have been following EPL long enough that I think Arsenal should always have JVC and Man Utd should always have Sharp, as sponsors.

Ibra's agent is talking about impending free agency, for a player in actve negotiations, not a player under long term contract. Not relevant.

I know enough to know that the whole Sterling he said/she said mess is impossible to untangle, and that the demonizing of the agent may be an example of what you are talking about. Or maybe not. A lot of people think Sterling was hiding behind that.

I stand by my view that barely having heard of a Watford striker that has one good half season to his name, is reasonable for a serious football fan, and more importantly, is meaningful to understanding relative value in Chinese transfers.

burlington Red
02-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Friend, why on earth do you think I only follow MLS? I have been following EPL long enough that I think Arsenal should always have JVC and Man Utd should always have Sharp, as sponsors.

Ibra's agent is talking about impending free agency, for a player in actve negotiations, not a player under long term contract. Not relevant.

I know enough to know that the whole Sterling he said/she said mess is impossible to untangle, and that the demonizing of the agent may be an example of what you are talking about. Or maybe not. A lot of people think Sterling was hiding behind that.

I stand by my view that barely having heard of a Watford striker that has one good half season to his name, is reasonable for a serious football fan, and more importantly, is meaningful to understanding relative value in Chinese transfers.

You don't watch the Pl. You didn't know who ighalo was. You admitted that. [mod edit] Can I bet u 500 that Gio doesn't sign for China. Pm me I'll double down on the bet

burlington Red
02-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. Weren't u the guy that said when the Bradley rumours were circulating last yr, that you were worried he might leave. [mod edit]

ensco
02-05-2017, 12:04 AM
You're wrong about my view of Bradley.

[mod edit]

Shakes McQueen
02-05-2017, 12:15 AM

I was partial to the brief period when Arsenal had the Sega Dreamcast as shirt sponsor.

ensco
02-05-2017, 12:41 AM
I was partial to the brief period when Arsenal had the Sega Dreamcast as shirt sponsor.

There were two, right? A Sega and a Dreamcast?

That just seemed all wrong

Oldtimer
02-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Keep things civil everyone.

Red CB Toronto
02-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. Weren't u the guy that said when the Bradley rumours were circulating last yr, that you were worried he might leave.[mod edit]

Who do you think you are [mod edit] Ensco brings some of the best insight to some of our discussions and it's much appreciative.

leedsandTFC
02-07-2017, 01:01 AM
he's not going anywhere. lock thread.

Oldtimer
02-07-2017, 09:27 AM
he's not going anywhere. lock thread.

I've been reading comments like this for the last year or so. We on the mod team typically don't lock threads just because some speculation doesn't seem to be happening, or even if the thread seems pointless. We lock them for negativity towards other board users, for duplicating another thread, for proposing something contrary to our Charter (e.g. violence) or our goals, for spam, or for being off topic.

As far as this topic goes, it looks Giovinco moving isn't happening, though the Chinese window does not close until the end of February. If it doesn't happen this thread will die of it's own accord.

We lean towards not shutting down conversation because the exchange of ideas is what makes this board so rich an experience. Football is a game of opinions. That's not to say that "anything goes," this board is moderated, we are a private supporter's club, and we run this board for our own purposes (i.e. supporting TFC). We do value input though!

(http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/faq.php)