PDA

View Full Version : MLS Superdraft 2017

Yohan
01-04-2017, 04:30 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/mls-announces-2017-generation-adidas-class-and-senior-signings

Fri 13 Jan

SirBobSaget
01-04-2017, 09:38 PM
2 Canadians signed under GA contracts

MF Shamit Shome (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/shamit-shome)* (FC Edmonton & Canada U-20 int'l; 26 appearances in NASL in 2016)
FW Adonijah Reid (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/adonijah-reid)* (ANB Futbol; made Canada youth national team debut as 14 yr old)

Both will be long gone before TFC's turn comes up. Hopefully they find teams willing to give them meaningful minutes

TFC07
01-05-2017, 04:12 AM
I am assuming both Canadian kids are considered international for US teams, so I think Vancouver and Montreal will be all over these kids. If not, then TFC will have a chance to draft one of them especially if they move up in the draft.

Areathrasher
01-05-2017, 09:20 AM
GA Canada players are supposed to count as domestic players for American teams.

The new Generation adidas Canada program will mirror the existing Generation adidas program, through which MLS annually signs a handful of top collegiate underclassmen and youth national team players and places them in the SuperDraft each January. Generation adidas Canada will see MLS and the CSA work together to identify top Canadian talent and sign them to GA contracts, with the signed players made available to all MLS clubs through the SuperDraft.
The new roster classification parameters will allow qualifying Canadian players to count as domestic players on the rosters of US-based MLS clubs.

Areathrasher
01-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Well, whaddya know

https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/817053576438616065

Canary10
01-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Can someone figure out if Irwin's injury time off was enough to drop him below the 75%, or did it require some of the matches Bono started in place of him when he returned? Lol.

OgtheDim
01-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Bono started 15 games.

Canary10
01-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Bono started 15 games.

Ok, we didn't fudge his starts to get him under the 75%....

SirBobSaget
01-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Irwin played 19 out of 34 games. So below 75%. Looks like Colorado gets nothing?

TFC actually has a late 1st round and 2 early 2nd round, be nice if they can pull a reverse Kevin Pain and package these 3 to move up to early 1st round to get a shot at the Canadian GAs

TFC has these Picks:
Round 1
21. Toronto

Round 2
4. Toronto (from Houston)
Toronto FC will receive Houston's highest 2017 Round 2 pick to be determined 24 hours prior to the SuperDraft. Should Houston receive additional 2017 Round 1 or Round 2 picks, those picks are encumbered by this trade. (via a trade on 3/2/16)
5. Toronto (from Montreal (from Columbus))
Montreal will receive Columbus' highest 2017 Round 2 pick to be determined 24 hours prior to the SuperDraft. (via a trade on 6/20/16)
Toronto FC will receive Montreal's highest 2017 Round 2 pick to be determined 24 hours prior to the SuperDraft. (via a trade on 7/20/16)

Round 3
8. Toronto FC (from Orlando on 12/21/2015)
If Joe Bendik starts in 75% of 2016 League Season games, then Toronto FC will receive Orlando City SC’s 2017 natural Round 3 pick instead of their natural Round 4 pick.
21. Toronto FC

Picks Traded away

21. D.C. United (from Portland (from Toronto FC))
Portland received a conditional 2017 Round 2 pick from Toronto FC. (via a trade on 12/18/15)
D.C. United receive Portland's 2017 Round 2 pick. (via a trade on 12/12/16)

PopePouri
01-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Given the amount of picks we have in the late first/early second round, i think we get either Awauh or Nanco or both.

notthesun
01-05-2017, 06:21 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/armchair-analyst-2017-mock-superdraft-v1-0

MLS mock draft has us taking Colton Storm at #21, a RB.

As usual with later picks I have no idea who we should take, but I do think we will avoid forwards. A RB would give us a backup to Beitashour, but also fills a need at TFC II. CBs and midfielders for TFC II are also needed. I'll be surprised if we take any forwards as Ricketts, Hamilton and Babouli are plenty of depth at the senior level, and at USL we have a glut of strikers needing minutes (Shaan Hundal, Malik Johnson, Ricardo John, and Ayo Akinola and Ben Spencer if they sign).

GuelphStorm2007
01-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Colton Storm will be logical I guess we need a backup to Beitashour iN the second I can see us trying to get a CB If they are still available then get Nanco or Awauh

reggie
01-05-2017, 08:38 PM
the MLS draft is so hit and miss these days mostly miss,,i say draft the best player avail.

Areathrasher
01-05-2017, 09:57 PM
I doubt they draft for positional need but rather a Simonen/Endoh style potential pick.

notthesun
01-07-2017, 12:00 PM
http://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2017/1/6/2017-mls-combine-player-profiles

Decent overview of the draft class here.

Bobo
01-08-2017, 01:36 PM
How funny would it be if TFC (or Montreal) picks Dominic Oduro? RB/RM. Fits their need nicely. Ex-Man City academy player.

Reg_Sims
01-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Nanco will be there in Round 2 pick(s).

Guys I like,
Any of the Defenders - Robinson, Dunk, Storm (With First Round Pick)

Then with 2 2nd Rounders, take two of the three Canadians list below:
Reid, Nanco, Wright, (I think Reid will be taken top 10 though)

My Wishlist for TFC in this draft:
Bench Defense Backup/Replacement, or TFCII Defender (Robinson, Dunk, Storm)
Wingers (Nanco, Reid)
Poacher Attacker (Wright)

Canary10
01-09-2017, 02:28 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/armchair-analyst-2017-mock-superdraft-v1-0

MLS mock draft has us taking Colton Storm at #21, a RB.

As usual with later picks I have no idea who we should take, but I do think we will avoid forwards. A RB would give us a backup to Beitashour, but also fills a need at TFC II. CBs and midfielders for TFC II are also needed. I'll be surprised if we take any forwards as Ricketts, Hamilton and Babouli are plenty of depth at the senior level, and at USL we have a glut of strikers needing minutes (Shaan Hundal, Malik Johnson, Ricardo John, and Ayo Akinola and Ben Spencer if they sign).

Please don't pick Colton Storm.

PopePouri
01-09-2017, 04:00 PM
We're in the part of the draft that's a crapshoot. Just take best player and hope for the best.

Initial B
01-10-2017, 12:36 PM
They'll simply take the best players available at that point in their picks and see how they pan out in training. Then they'll see how their spring roster handles the schedule before dipping their hand in the transfer market in the summer.

C.Ronaldo
01-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Why does shamit go through the draft?

Why doesnt he just sign with a team?

molenshtain
01-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Why does shamit go through the draft?

Why doesnt he just sign with a team?

Probably because he signed a contract with the league and the league is drafting out his rights. Not sure what his contract situation was in Edmonton but the league probably had to pay a fee for him. Makes more sense for teams to go after him through the draft where he'll be GA and you won't have to pay a cap hit for the fee Edmonton.

C.Ronaldo
01-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Probably because he signed a contract with the league and the league is drafting out his rights. Not sure what his contract situation was in Edmonton but the league probably had to pay a fee for him. Makes more sense for teams to go after him through the draft where he'll be GA and you won't have to pay a cap hit for the fee Edmonton.

why would the league want this? hes cdn, there is no benefit to USMNT.
If the league paid the fee, where are those funds coming from?

MLS rules are so confusing

Reg_Sims
01-11-2017, 12:16 PM

A Couple articles about the GA, and Canadians going forward:

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/some-canadian-players-granted-domestic-status-in-mls-generation-adidas-canada-created

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/11/30/mls-canadian-soccer-association-announce-youth-development-taskforce

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/MLS%20-%20Canada%20Homegrown%20Grandfathered%20Players_0. pdf

Roberts, Manella, and Hamilton all Domestic to US Teams now...

Interesting:
Under the new rules announced on Wednesday, Canadian players that qualify as a Homegrown Player as a member of an MLS club academy or that have met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club will count as a domestic player for all MLS clubs, provided that:

The player became a member of an MLS club academy or Canadian Approved Youth Club in the year prior to the year in which he turns 16;

AND

The player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS USL affiliate club.

Reg_Sims
01-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Maybe if Player is between 16-20 this is why they become GA, so they can be granted domestic to all teams and not just Canadian teams?

molenshtain
01-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Presumably from the hundreds of millions of dollars in expansion fees and other revenue streams the league generates every year. The fee would have been tiny. less than 100k, maybe less than 50k.

and they Probably got him because the league values getting in good talent in general, preferably young, irregardless of their nationality. If they wanted to only benefit the USMNT they wouldn't have allowed Canadian teams in.

C.Ronaldo
01-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Presumably from the hundreds of millions of dollars in expansion fees and other revenue streams the league generates every year. The fee would have been tiny. less than 100k, maybe less than 50k.

and they Probably got him because the league values getting in good talent in general, preferably young, irregardless of their nationality. If they wanted to only benefit the USMNT they wouldn't have allowed Canadian teams in.

yah but GA was made for that purpose
Generation Adidas is a joint venture between Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer aimed at raising the level of young professional soccer talent in the United States.

The only way i see this making sense is if mulitple MLS teams saw the talent, wanted him but he wanted more money than basic pay
GA allows you to pay more without taking the cap hit

molenshtain
01-12-2017, 10:42 AM
yah but GA was made for that purpose
Generation Adidas is a joint venture between Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer aimed at raising the level of young professional soccer talent in the United States.

The only way i see this making sense is if mulitple MLS teams saw the talent, wanted him but he wanted more money than basic pay
GA allows you to pay more without taking the cap hit

When they changed the international designation of Canadian Homegrowns to domestics last month they also gave the same rights to Canadians coming through the draft. There's five other canadians in the draft who will also qualify as domestics if they get picked. I guess they figured if you do one you might as well do the other.

Oldtimer
01-12-2017, 10:42 AM
when they changed the international designation of canadian homegrowns to domestics last month they also gave the same rights to canadians coming through the draft. There's five other canadians in the draft who will also qualify as domestics if they get picked. I guess they figured if you do one you might as well do the other.

source?

molenshtain
01-12-2017, 10:51 AM
source?

Sam Stejskal, per twitter.

OgtheDim
01-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Beginning to look like MLS & USSF caved on this one - another reason why having Victor M as CONCACAF head honcho is a good thing.

C.Ronaldo
01-12-2017, 12:08 PM
yah clearly something bigger than what they made it seem happened

So if your a 25 yr old CDN playing professionally in norway, u can go through the draft and now your domestic to US teams?

Areathrasher
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
yah clearly something bigger than what they made it seem happened

So if your a 25 yr old CDN playing professionally in norway, u can go through the draft and now your domestic to US teams?

Doubt it.

I'm guessing it's this

or that have met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club will count as a domestic player for all MLS clubs

2 of the lads are Sigma products so I'm guessing Sigma is an approved youth club. Not sure about that Wright fella.

C.Ronaldo
01-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Doubt it.

I'm guessing it's this

2 of the lads are Sigma products so I'm guessing Sigma is an approved youth club. Not sure about that Wright fella.

he was playing at FC Edmonton, he is a professional soccer player

C.Ronaldo
01-12-2017, 12:36 PM

The eddies seem really excited by this, It seems to be more than pennies that they sold him for
“It benefits Shamit incredibly, and it also benefits the club and, in particular, our academy,” said Paulus. “If this can become the norm for us every couple of years, the Academy will continue to grow and reward Tom and Dave Fath for their continuing support of this program.”
http://the11.ca/fc-edmonton-sells-shome-to-mls-owner-thrilled-with-breakthrough-agreement/

molenshtain
01-12-2017, 12:39 PM
There's a list of players approved by the league from which your allowed to draft. It includes all graduating NCAA players, GA's and select foreign amateurs invited by the league. Underclassmen and other foreign amateurs have to either be nominated by a club to the league and be approved before the draft or apply to the league themselves. I don't think anything has changed with regards to the ability of Canadians to apply for the draft, nor has a teams ability to nominate a player to the list changed. It's just more likely for them to get recognized, and therefore drafted, now that they're given the same rights American's entering the league.

I'm 99% sure signing a professional contract makes you automatically ineligible for the draft but I can't find a source that bares that out specifically. I can't recall an instance of a player of any nationality playing professionally abroad who came back and went through the draft.

RE Shome: I'd imagine Edmonton are more happy about the exposure for their Academy than the fee. He wasn't on a professional contract so there's not a lot they could have negotiated for him.

Edit: ugh, conflicting and non specific reports on whether he was actually on a full pro contract. So perhaps he was and I'm wrong. I hate sports journalists.

Areathrasher
01-12-2017, 12:55 PM
he was playing at FC Edmonton, he is a professional soccer player

I thought y'all were talking about the three other Canadian draftees at the combine. It was announced that they would be domestic too.

Areathrasher
01-12-2017, 12:56 PM
There's a list of players approved by the league from which your allowed to draft. It includes all graduating NCAA players, GA's and select foreign amateurs invited by the league. Underclassmen and other foreign amateurs have to either be nominated by a club to the league and be approved before the draft or apply to the league themselves. I don't think anything has changed with regards to the ability of Canadians to apply for the draft, nor has a teams ability to nominate a player to the list changed. It's just more likely for them to get recognized, and therefore drafted, now that they're given the same rights American's entering the league.

I'm 99% sure signing a professional contract makes you automatically ineligible for the draft but I can't find a source that bares that out specifically. I can't recall an instance of a player of any nationality playing professionally abroad who came back and went through the draft.

There are always a few guys at the combine that have played pro. A couple of Argies last year. That Dom Oduro fella that is currently at the combine has played pro in Denmark.

molenshtain
01-12-2017, 01:34 PM
There are always a few guys at the combine that have played pro. A couple of Argies last year. That Dom Oduro fella that is currently at the combine has played pro in Denmark.

for the purposes of the draft I wouldn't usually equate previously playing pro with having signed a professional contract but in this case you're right. I don't know how he's eligible.

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2017, 01:54 PM
for the purposes of the draft I wouldn't usually equate previously playing pro with having signed a professional contract but in this case you're right. I don't know how he's eligible.

The MLS signs them to a league contract and then throws them in the draft. It has happened before ie Joao Plata, John Rooney etc. To go even further Plata was on loan to the league and as result fell to the fourth round where Toronto selected him. As we all know the Reds payed a 500K transfer fee for him after his first season with the club.

Areathrasher
01-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Wasn't there a few other Ecuadorians from LDU Quito in that draft? Chivas USA took one with the first overall pick?

Reg_Sims
01-12-2017, 03:30 PM
I thought y'all were talking about the three other Canadian draftees at the combine. It was announced that they would be domestic too.
I'm pretty sure Nanco, Wright and Awuah are not considered Domestics to US Clubs

While they will sign their first professional contract with MLS or an MLS USL Club (Requirement #1) , they did not become a member of an MLS Club Academy or Canadian Approved Youth Club prior to the year which they turned 16 (Requirement #2).

My Guess is Nanco was with Sigma FC Academy, and that is not a Canadian Approved Youth Club. If it is, then he will be a Domestic Player
Wright was with Vermont in College, and didnt play with a MLS Club Academy (I dont believe, before going to college)
Awuah was with Connecuit, and didnt play with a MLS Club Academy (I dont believe, before going to college)

Maybe someone will prove me wrong, if any of the above information is incorrect, or can add to where they played when they were 15, (turning 16)

OgtheDim
01-12-2017, 03:39 PM
https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/819418123094794240

As Molenshtan said.

We will see.

Areathrasher
01-12-2017, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Nanco, Wright and Awuah are not considered Domestics to US Clubs

While they will sign their first professional contract with MLS or an MLS USL Club (Requirement #1) , they did not become a member of an MLS Club Academy or Canadian Approved Youth Club prior to the year which they turned 16 (Requirement #2).

My Guess is Nanco was with Sigma FC Academy, and that is not a Canadian Approved Youth Club. If it is, then he will be a Domestic Player
Wright was with Vermont in College, and didnt play with a MLS Club Academy (I dont believe, before going to college)
Awuah was with Connecuit, and didnt play with a MLS Club Academy (I dont believe, before going to college)

Maybe someone will prove me wrong, if any of the above information is incorrect, or can add to where they played when they were 15, (turning 16)

If Sam Stejskal's report is correct, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sigma has been approved.

Nanco and Awuah are Sigma products.

Reg_Sims
01-12-2017, 05:20 PM
If Sam Stejskal's report is correct, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sigma has been approved.

I would guess Sigma is considered a Youth Academy.
Its only fair that if An American is Canadian Domestic, then should be vice versa...
I dont know how that helps US Soccer then... as it will bring in all kids in Canada as available...
I also see Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto using the Home Grown more now to keep any local kids before they go to college, where as before they knew they would either not be drafted or taken later rounds.

reggie
01-12-2017, 05:34 PM
i dont see anybody they draft making the 18 at all this season.tfc 2 players.

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2017, 08:33 AM
i dont see anybody they draft making the 18 at all this season.tfc 2 players.

I agree. If I'm reading your punctuation correctly.:D Any draft would be considered a boom crop if more than 2 or 3 starters come from the draft. As it should be IMO with different resources to choose from.

Oldtimer
01-13-2017, 08:46 AM

Sigma should be, they have quite a track record for a private academy.

C.Ronaldo
01-13-2017, 09:56 AM
things i hate about this league has always included the draft, but these tiny work a-rounds or loop holes are just silly.

dump the draft and call it a lottery for cheap players

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Alexi Lalas

https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/819963805610295297

Followed by the Loons President

https://twitter.com/_NickRogers_/status/819972632653217792

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Every year I am reminded how I have no life simply by the fact that I actually live stream this darn thing.

Especially as this has become a glorified USL draft.

On another, note - via Kurt Larson

I want this ball.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2Ew5VWUUAAR7MI.jpg

PopePouri
01-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Check out Minnesota's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2Es9RFUkAE9-7Q.jpg:large

Yohan
01-13-2017, 03:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-yzMMPmZh0

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Weird. Those balls are better than the flagy ones.

So many thank yous from number one.

Sorry can't watch any more thank yous.

Canary10
01-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Every year I am reminded how I have no life simply by the fact that I actually live stream this darn thing.

I want this ball.

It's the Darth Maul ball.

Oldtimer
01-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Nice to have the actual type and amount of allocation traded being announced (for pick 3). A move towards transparency that should be applauded.

Oldtimer
01-13-2017, 03:48 PM
I feel sorry for Lalas Abubaker. Instead of being drafted by a nice place, he has to go to Columbus.

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 03:48 PM
$250K for a college kid?

I suppose because he's Generation Adidas he's cheap but still.

C.Ronaldo
01-13-2017, 03:59 PM
$250K for a college kid?

I suppose because he's Generation Adidas he's cheap but still.

i thought the same,

i guess 250k for a cap free hit makes sense over 3/4 years

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Nice to have the actual type and amount of allocation traded being announced (for pick 3). A move towards transparency that should be applauded.

That's one of the most interesting aspects out of this draft. I believe when Garber announced the $250 it was the first time the actually amount was ever acknowledged in any trade. The types have been announced before including the infamous TAM for GAM trade, good to see.

Canary10
01-13-2017, 04:22 PM
That's one of the most interesting aspects out of this draft. I believe when Garber announced the $250 it was the first time the actually amount was ever acknowledged in any trade. The types have been announced before including the infamous TAM for GAM trade, good to see.

Possibly the only thing interesting.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
This gives an interesting perspective on today's reality of draft especially as it goes on. Looks back at where everyone is from last years draft.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/10/2016-superdraft-retrospective-how-did-last-years-class-fare-season

I want this ball.

Canary10
01-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Handful of decent MLS players there. Harrison is definitely solid.

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Handful of decent MLS players there. Harrison is definitely solid.

Shome, Reid all still available... And Aubrey and Hume still on Defence...

Canary10
01-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Shome, Reid all still available... And Aubrey and Hume still on Defence...

I meant from last year's draft.

Really not many players from it tbh.

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 04:52 PM
I still would take the Free Shome on GA.
Maybe Trade them for next year picks.
I would take a flyer on REID, SHOME, and AUBREY or HUME though

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 04:52 PM
When the highlight of the draft is some kid picked 17th saying teams who didn't pick him will live to regret it, its a boring draft.

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 04:54 PM
And its even more of a boring Draft, when my work phone hasn't run with a call since the draft started....

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 04:57 PM
The Reds are on the clock, will they go with one of the Canadian GA's. Interesting that the Impact past on them.

Initial B
01-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Watch Bez pick someone that will have everyone going, "Who!?"

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Like The Guy From Cape Verde....

Watch Bez pick someone that will have everyone going, "Who!?"

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 05:01 PM
We Should be able to get 3 of Nanco, Reid, Shome, Aubrey, Hume or Goldsmith.

Aubrey it is! Projected at 3 in some drafts...

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Seems like we got a guy who fell after not a great combine in Aubrey.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/brandon_aubrey_851492.html

Yohan
01-13-2017, 05:04 PM
very interesting.

Bez thinks one of Canadian GAs might be available in 2nd round or not very high on them.

Aubrey should fit in well as 5th CB, if TFC signs another CB. I guess Simonin is not being re-signed to first team contract, and maybe a USL contract

ensco
01-13-2017, 05:04 PM
We need to trade for Reagan Dunk. I just like that name.

notthesun
01-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Aubrey came in as a top 10 ish pick but dropped after having a poor combine showing. Who knows, maybe we got a steal here, maybe not. Picking a CB makes sense though so I'm happy about that.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 05:05 PM
We Should be able to get 3 of Nanco, Reid, Shome, Aubrey, Hume or Goldsmith.

Aubrey it is! Projected at 3 in some drafts...

Anyone know if Aubrey was one of the seniors signed to a contract by the league prior to the draft?

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 05:06 PM
From what I understand Simonin will be on trial during the preseason.

very interesting.

Bez thinks one of Canadian GAs might be available in 2nd round or not very high on them.

Aubrey should fit in well as 5th CB, if TFC signs another CB. I guess Simonin is not being re-signed to first team contract, and maybe a USL contract

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Looks like we got our replacement for Skylar Thomas.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Looks like we got our replacement for Skylar Thomas.

I still wonder if Thomas was a total reach at 11 or a true bust? Even with the diminishing role of the draft, you should still be able to get someone at least service able at 11.

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 05:14 PM
Hopefully Aubrey gets Minutes and proves himself. Maybe with him being from Notre Dame, we will come out Lucky from this pick...

I'l like us to grab Goldsmith from Butler with one of the remaining picks...

Aubrey came in as a top 10 ish pick but dropped after having a poor combine showing. Who knows, maybe we got a steal here, maybe not. Picking a CB makes sense though so I'm happy about that.

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 05:16 PM
About Thomas

He was ranked lower on the board then 11th by most people. High second round IIRC. I think he was a local boy reach (like Bekker in some ways) that didn't work out. Based on what people who followed TFCII stated, he's CPL material.

Shway
01-13-2017, 05:19 PM
I still wonder if Thomas was a total reach at 11 or a true bust? Even with the diminishing role of the draft, you should still be able to get someone at least service able at 11.

Watched Skylar with TFCII and the U23 team, he deserves more than Simonin to be with TFC for a trial. He's strong, and good in the air.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Aubrey already has a contract. Wonder how that effects the way the Reds approach to him.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/mls-announces-2017-generation-adidas-class-and-senior-signings

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Maybe that's why he dropped...

I wonder if the Contract amount was announced to the teams before the draft?

Aubrey already has a contract. Wonder how that effects the way the Reds approach to him.

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 05:31 PM
All accounts is he had the worst combine of anybody there - routinely beaten and driven past.

He's a project.

Initial B
01-13-2017, 05:34 PM
^ Unless he was dogging it specifically to drop in the draft to a more desirable team...

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Maybe that's why he dropped...

I wonder if the Contract amount was announced to the teams before the draft?

Most of what I have read it was a bad combine that caused him to drop. When it comes the pre-season he does not have the pressure of having it earn a contract Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 05:37 PM
The paper work will sometimes kill you. With these back to back picks early in the second round you got to figure the Reds will take one of the Canadian GA's.

SirBobSaget
01-13-2017, 05:38 PM
I don't understand why the GAs are not snapped up earlier. They're free players

SirBobSaget
01-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Both Canadian GAs are available, they're all flyers at this point so might as well take the free guys.

OK nm 2 picks for 75k TAM. Confirms the players available in the draft are useless.

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 05:42 PM
TAM!!!!!!!

(Which indicates TFC has a target out there to get somebody and push that wage cap hit down a bit).

ensco
01-13-2017, 05:44 PM
LOVE this message to the TFC II kids and the Academy.

Initial B
Really? They don't rate anybody else in the draft!? Two picks for only $75K? Not even GA players!?

Red CB Toronto
I don't understand why the GAs are not snapped up earlier. They're free players

That says a lot about the Canadian GA's if the Reds decided 75K was worth more than either of them.

ensco
01-13-2017, 05:46 PM
That says a lot about the Canadian GA's if the Reds decided 75K was worth more than either of them.

It's not about Shome or whomever. Those guys may be great, but they aren't here. TFC mgmt like the young guys they have already, and are committed to them.

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Oh, and Kurt loses the draft

He says

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/820017910793895937

Chicago PR says

https://twitter.com/frankstranzl/status/820036834298187776

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 05:47 PM
I would have though Reid would have been worth the flyer. Either way, its an extra depth player, or money to bring a couple kids up to the senior roster.

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Really? They don't rate anybody else in the draft!? Two picks for only $75K? Not even GA players!?

$75K in TAM which can only be used to bring a player's cap hit down.

This is stockpiling for somebody to be brought in.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
LOVE this message to the TFC II kids and the Academy.

Greg just expressed that. Plus taking one the GA's would have locked up another roster spot as Aubrey already has one since the league signed him to a contract prior to a draft.

Initial B
01-13-2017, 05:49 PM
And Vanney just said they got what they wanted and now, "They're done".

It looks like they trust their academy more than the lower rounds of the draft.

Derko
01-13-2017, 05:57 PM

That should be considered a good thing in my mind

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 06:05 PM
I believe in Vanney when they say they like Aubrey, and "They like what's coming out of the Academy"

75,000 for 2 Second round picks is pretty good. when 250K went for a GA.
Funny Listening to that Sasha Guy say, "I think its pretty dumb" to trade the picks...
If they didnt value any of the players available over their own, then its not dumb.
Most College Kids that had talent, should be homegrowns before they go to college...

I like the Message to the Academy that we like how they are progressing... I think it will attract future Canadians to WANT to play as you wont be replaced by some senior after you bust your ass for a couple years with the academy.

notthesun
01-13-2017, 06:07 PM

And they should. The odds of getting even a serviceable MLS player beyond the 1st round are extremely small. We've picked up a few TFC II players in the last few years in later rounds but most of them are gone now. All the previous years our later picks flamed out. Lovitz is our best ever pick beyond the 1st round, unless you count Plata, but he only fell that low because there was a transfer fee to sign him.

Reg_Sims
01-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Interesing from the TAM Rules:
While MLS clubs are not required to use their full $100,000 TAM each season, they are required to use the remaining amount during the following year. For example, if a club does not use its $100,000 allotment in 2015, that club must use or trade at least that $100,000 of Targeted Allocation Money in 2016.

Could it be possible that Chicago did not use theirs last year?

Detroit_TFC
01-13-2017, 06:31 PM
The FO didn't think too much of the opportunities in this year's draft. Have to agree.

But, for GAs to go undrafted in the first round, that has to be fairly unusual historically I would think. Guess it's a sign of the loosened salary cap era.

Dub Narcotic
01-13-2017, 07:13 PM
The FO didn't think too much of the opportunities in this year's draft. Have to agree.

But, for GAs to go undrafted in the first round, that has to be fairly unusual historically I would think. Guess it's a sign of the loosened salary cap era.

They were both the new 'Canadian GA's', and weren't seen at the same level as the main GA's, fairly or unfairly. From Toronto's point of view they have no need for either of those players (why play Shome over Miller and Fraser or Reid over Hundal and John?) and they come with guaranteed contracts. In addition, Toronto has seen more of Reid than anybody, they clearly don't think he's anything special.

KurtLarSUN
01-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Oh, and Kurt loses the draft

He says

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/820017910793895937

Chicago PR says

https://twitter.com/frankstranzl/status/820036834298187776

My guess is Chicago came over, low-balled. Toronto FC laughed, said we want cash. Eventually got what they wanted.

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Manning speaks -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9N0P-FNfSg

"We are looking at an attacking midfielder....someone can have an influence on this team."

Very enlightening.

notthesun
01-13-2017, 07:49 PM
They're gonna make a TAM signing on an AM, but I'm not sure it will be before the start of the year. Might be a summer signing.

Areathrasher
01-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Sounds like they have their eye on a RB from outside the league too

ag futbol
01-13-2017, 09:25 PM
That should be considered a good thing in my mind
Agreed. The lower levels of the draft board are really an exercise in futility.

Something good comes out every once in a while, but generally its slim pickings.

Auzzy
01-14-2017, 01:21 AM
Manning speaks -

"We are looking at an attacking midfielder....someone can have an influence on this team."

Very enlightening.

Given our past history, it's surreal to have a front office with a clue about footy...

ensco
01-14-2017, 08:48 AM
God the media coverage of the draft is lame. These guys basically compare the pre draft mock drafts with actual results, declare "winners" and "losers"... whatever.

There is always a fascinating discussion around approach/strategy, and that is even more interesting, now that the allocation dollars are being publicized. The bookends are what TFC did, compared to what NYCFC did. The focus on our trade of the picks in isolation isn't quite right - the fact that the kids are better than Reid or Shome is kind of meaningless. Later picks are lottery tickets, and nobody needs to draft journeymen. We can get them via USL anytime.

Are any of our better kids as good as Jonathan Lewis? Will Lewis be that good? That's the real question.

NYCFC spent $325K to move up and get guys, we made $75K by passing. So we're $400K in TAM ahead of them, but the average lifespan of veteran guys you spend $400K of TAM is what, 2 years? Whereas a good top pick, if he makes it (big IF), gets you 7,8, 10 years. It's better team building, but it requires a lot of patience.

There is always a business bias towards what TFC is doing, ie using the TAM on veterans, they help you win now (unless it's Kantari!) and the marketing department makes a lot more use of the $400K spent on a decent international player, vs a similar amount on some unknown US collegiate draft pick.

There is no one right way to do this. I think I like what NYCFC did, philosophically anyway.. it sure worked well for them with Harrison. But of course NYCFC don't have an Academy pipeline ...

I'm probably scarred forever by us having traded a top 5 pick that turned into Zack Loyd, for 20 games of Adrian Serioux, the Hassli deal, trading the Farrell pick for Bekker....

I have learned to respect moves for the high picks. I hope one of the kids really is the equivalent of a top 5 pick, otherwise the cupboard will be bare when the DPs are gone in a couple of years. We will not be getting this level of elite DP as replacements.

mistercorporate
01-14-2017, 09:03 AM
I'd love to hear more stats about our Academy, such as number of players each year, investments in improved coaching, growth, etc.

I'm glad to see our Academy supplanting the draft for quality depth.

It's good to see we're using our money prudently on our priorities (in order of importance):

1. AM
2. CB
3. RB

Fort York Redcoat
01-14-2017, 01:53 PM
God the media coverage of the draft is lame. These guys basically compare the pre draft mock drafts with actual results, declare "winners" and "losers"... whatever.

There is always a fascinating discussion around approach/strategy, and that is even more interesting, now that the allocation dollars are being publicized. The bookends are what TFC did, compared to what NYCFC did. The focus on our trade of the picks in isolation isn't quite right - the fact that the kids are better than Reid or Shome is kind of meaningless. Later picks are lottery tickets, and nobody needs to draft journeymen. We can get them via USL anytime.

Are any of our better kids as good as Jonathan Lewis? Will Lewis be that good? That's the real question.

NYCFC spent $325K to move up and get guys, we made $75K by passing. So we're $400K in TAM ahead of them, but the average lifespan of veteran guys you spend $400K of TAM is what, 2 years? Whereas a good top pick, if he makes it (big IF), gets you 7,8, 10 years. It's better team building, but it requires a lot of patience.

There is always a business bias towards what TFC is doing, ie using the TAM on veterans, they help you win now (unless it's Kantari!) and the marketing department makes a lot more use of the $400K spent on a decent international player, vs a similar amount on some unknown US collegiate draft pick.

There is no one right way to do this. I think I like what NYCFC did, philosophically anyway.. it sure worked well for them with Harrison. But of course NYCFC don't have an Academy pipeline ...

I'm probably scarred forever by us having traded a top 5 pick that turned into Zack Loyd, for 20 games of Adrian Serioux, the Hassli deal, trading the Farrell pick for Bekker....

I have learned to respect moves for the high picks. I hope one of the kids really is the equivalent of a top 5 pick, otherwise the cupboard will be bare when the DPs are gone in a couple of years. We will not be getting this level of elite DP as replacements.

The coverage is over the top but there are still teams that have to learn our lesson yet. I think you've nailed it with how good and how bad a draft can be and I'm glad we've moved on from the trader Mo days. These blue ribbon days of DP's won't last forever but man it's nice to have options for awhile. AND we're adding teams to the pyramid!/pipeline(?). All fascinating to me.

Fort York Redcoat
01-14-2017, 01:59 PM
And I'd be remiss to not mention I look forward to seeing highlights for

Kwame Awuah - NYC Farm Club
Bryan Wright - NE

2 canucks I hope get some time

And what about Seattle getting Dominic Oduro? Funny since that's our pick we gave to Portland for Johnson.

reggie
01-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Manning speaks -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9N0P-FNfSg

Very enlightening.
Manning tells is like it is,compared to Bez.it seems that bez is always hiding or light on the truth.

ensco
01-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Manning tells is like it is,compared to Bez.it seems that bez is always hiding or light on the truth.

True.

Is it just me, or did anyone else come away from that interview thinking that the AM is going to be someone special, a million dollar type player? Manning was just a bit too much of the cat with the canary hidden under his paws there....

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2017, 06:38 PM
True.

Is it just me, or did anyone else come away from that interview thinking that the AM is going to be someone special, a million dollar type player? Manning was just a bit too much of the cat with the canary hidden under his paws there....

have felt this way for a while though on paper it's prob not possible felt we would find a way to make it happen

ensco
01-14-2017, 06:38 PM
have felt this way for a while though on paper it's prob not possible felt we would find a way to make it happen

I put my theory in the main speculation thread

PopePouri
01-14-2017, 07:43 PM

I think NYCFC's moves with more a need than preference due to their shorter history and lack of youth infrastructure. They were also in the unique situation of having sold Poku for a boat load of allocation as well.

The most logical set up would be LA's, Seattle's, NYRB, or our level of infrastructure where there is a definitive pyramid/path to pro and a thriving academy. We are only now realizing the full potential where LA, NY and Seattle have been benefiting for the past couple of years. It shows with the results: Every season, They are able to put out a deep and competitive squad.

If you had to ask Patrick Viera who comes from Manchester City who invests heavily in youth, he would say it's a no-brainer.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2017, 12:30 AM
I put my theory in the main speculation thread

Saw that. Makes sense, remember someone else saying that we've see LA get a pass in the past and I wouldn't be surprised to see us get similar favours

Red CB Toronto
01-17-2017, 11:23 AM
The SuperDraft is back at it today. Wonder what a 3rd round round pick or two are worth in trade, maybe 10-15K in GAM or TAM, who knows?

Initial B
01-17-2017, 12:52 PM
I think you'll see a lot of teams simply passing on their picks.

Areathrasher
01-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Pick up Chirs Nanco for TFCII?

flamehawk
01-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Pick up Chirs Nanco for TFCII?

I'd like having Nanco, but we're pretty stacked at the FWD position in terms of players you'd want to give game time. Hundal, Malik Johnson, Akinola (if he signs and is loaned back down) .. the new signing from late last year, Ricardo John, has also looked very good.

Areathrasher
01-17-2017, 02:21 PM
FCD have taken Nanco

TFC have taken someone by the name of Robert Moewes according to this http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2017/tracker?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

A German GK apparently.

And this fella Oyvind Alseth

Red CB Toronto
01-17-2017, 02:30 PM
FCD have taken Nanco

TFC have taken someone by the name of Robert Moewes according to this http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2017/tracker?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

A German GK apparently.

I get the feeling the draft was done in rapid fire sequence for real and it's being posted to the website after the fact. They have some picks up but not all.

flamehawk
01-17-2017, 02:30 PM
FCD have taken Nanco

A German GK apparently.

Was beginning to wonder if Bez would be drafting only Nordic, Northern European guys this draft, but he does end it with Juan Pablo Saavedra. Two Virginians to end the draft.

Red CB Toronto
01-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Was beginning to wonder if Bez would be drafting only Nordic, Northern European guys this draft, but he does end it with Juan Pablo Saavedra. Two Virginians to end the draft.

Yep and it was done all in about 20 or so minutes. Welcome to Toronto Juan Pablo if you ever make it here.
http://www.hokiesports.com/msoccer/players/saavedra_juanpablo.html

reggie
01-17-2017, 02:38 PM
welcome to tfc 2.

Mr. Bigby
01-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Meet Lars Eckenrude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WFb_bETmU8

PopePouri
01-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Meet Lars Eckenrude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WFb_bETmU8

Not sure how Macklemore is as a footballer.

Mr. Bigby
01-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Aaaand Robert Moewes: http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/robert-moewes

reggie
01-17-2017, 03:18 PM
the keeper is probs the starter at tfc2 unless they re sign Roberts.