PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Media Man Says TFC Got Better Deal

sidney
07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
see full article at: http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=224169

"But after two months of negotiations, Toronto made sure its fans will be happy with this deal, too, even if it might have preferred Rolfe or Justin Mapp to Barrett....In Barrett, it gets a 23-year-old good enough to play for the Olympic qualifying team, a player who works hard, a player who has 5 goals and 4 assists this season. It will get a second good young player in February's draft. And it gets a little cash to buy a good old player like, say, McBride....In other words, Toronto got a lot."

"In two seasons, Toronto could field three productive players from this deal. The Fire might have none. By then, the 36-year-old McBride might be enjoying retirement..."

Bobo
07-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Nothing new, really. Chicago is losing the point. McBride should do very well, but enough for Chicago to become MLS champs? Doubt it. Within 3 years, we'll be laughing, even if no one coming our way amounts to much.

jm5k
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I'd take a Blanco over anyone mentioned in this thread. Sure he looks like a big angry bull, but he is aggressive and loves the net.

professor
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
see full article at: http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=224169

"....In Barrett, it gets a 23-year-old good enough to play for the Olympic qualifying team, a player who works hard, ........"

great, "another player who works hard", said another way, another version of Lombardo.......

Why not a player who plays smart!

sidney
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
great, "another player who works hard", said another way, another version of Lombardo.......

Why not a player who plays smart!

but you neglected to include/mention this bit though "a player who has 5 goals and 4 assists this season."

LucaGol
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't put too much weight in what the Daily Herald has to say.

Troll
07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't put too much weight in what the Daily Herald has to say.

You don't need to read a paper to know that we 'won' that deal. We didn't give anything that we actually owned away and we got something in return. It's been a long time since I took a math class, but it still seems pretty simple to me.

:noidea:

LucaGol
07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
You don't need to read a paper to know that we 'won' that deal. We didn't give anything that we actually owned away and we got something in return. It's been a long time since I took a math class, but it still seems pretty simple to me.

:noidea:

I never disagreed.

ilikemusic
07-29-2008, 05:11 PM
"In two seasons, Toronto could field three productive players from this deal. The Fire might have none. By then, the 36-year-old McBride might be enjoying retirement..."

This is pretty well my take on the deal. McBride probably wont play past 2009.

noochie
07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't understand how this deal can even be weighed at all... we essentially get something for winning a lottery (not really, but you get the idea), so how exactly do we lose anything when we give nothing away?

Derko
07-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Has any thought that perhaps Barrett might be that young spark that is needed, at least he has scored some goals this year and last, why compare to Lombardo who did nothing for TFC, except maybe attract a few teenage girls from Woodbridge!!

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I think the bigger question surrounding this deal is what’s going on with it? Correct me if I am wrong, but it’s not official yet. I am starting wonder if it’s hit a snag

S_D
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I think the bigger question surrounding this deal is what’s going on with it? Correct me if I am wrong, but it’s not official yet. I am starting wonder if it’s hit a snag

read here (posts from Paul B.)
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3959

mlsintoronto
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
One thing not mentioned...a returning hero settling in the home town....Americans love that stuff...they should have done this deal a month ago. They'd be higher on the table, and would have sold a truckload of tickets. As it is now Chicago fans will get to watch him at the olympics - that sells no tickets. (unless he scores a boatload of goals, which remains very possible for him in a U23 tournament.)

noochie
07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
^^ does this mean that it is safe to assume the deal has finally been completed?

jloome
07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
One thing not mentioned...a returning hero settling in the home town....Americans love that stuff...they should have done this deal a month ago. They'd be higher on the table, and would have sold a truckload of tickets. As it is now Chicago fans will get to watch him at the olympics - that sells no tickets. (unless he scores a boatload of goals, which remains very possible for him in a U23 tournament.)

I wouldn't even assume that. His 1-in-4 strike rate in England is about equivalent to that of both Laurent Robert at Newcastle and Darren Huckerby at Norwich. It's his leadership qualities that count, and those won't necessarily translate to replacing their top offensive producer.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
USA TODAY article implying that the deal is stalling:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/mls/2008-07-29-Notes_N.htm

Cambridge_Red
07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Fuck Chicago!! FUCK FUCK CHICAGO!

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I dunno why but USAtoday doesnt strike me as a soccer knowledgeable paper...

DVS
07-29-2008, 10:13 PM

How bout fuck Mo for not making sure the deal was done. Isn't that what a GM should do?

Bars92
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
I wish this would be finalized so I can make the changes in FIFA 08 already..

Oldtimer
07-30-2008, 07:35 AM
How bout fuck Mo for not making sure the deal was done. Isn't that what a GM should do?

How can Mo force Chicago to put pen to paper (unless the league steps in)?

Steve
07-30-2008, 08:19 AM

The deal was already agreed on. The league knows about it. Mo can't sign their paperwork (I am sure he has already signed ours). Essentially, he has done everything he can do at this point.

Technorgasm
07-30-2008, 08:28 AM

Thats more like it.

We stole Chicago's Son. . . and mark my words. . Quote me. . save it somewhere and throw it back at me at year end.. . .

BARRETTA WILL SCORE THE WINNER AGAINST CHICAGO OCT. 18th.

oh. . I went there!

Jay P
07-30-2008, 08:36 AM
^^^
Barrett?

ExiledRed
07-30-2008, 10:27 AM
^^^
Barrett?

It's a nickname, you know like Baretta.

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/pachmayr1.jpg

brando
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
From the Barretta,
Puttin all them holes in your sweata!!!

http://leblogjames.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/biggie-smalls.jpg

graeme117
07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
"One last thing: When we say this is a near-term win for the Fire, that comes with an asterisk. McBride is in Hong Kong preparing for next month's Olympics. He'll miss the next two to four Fire games, depending on how far the U.S. team advances.

In the meantime, the Fire will play without him and Barrett, who is in limbo until the deal becomes official."

Ummmm... if Mcbride gets injured at the olympics, could we get screwed massively here? Seeing as he's in his 30s and he's not signed to a contract, could a long term injury or anything keeping him out till the roster deadline kill this deal? just a thought, i really hope this gets announced before the olympics.

Big Bruva
07-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Nothing new, really. Chicago is losing the point. McBride should do very well, but enough for Chicago to become MLS champs? Doubt it. Within 3 years, we'll be laughing, even if no one coming our way amounts to much.

I agree but for how long 1 season? and if not 1 then maybe 2 the very most.

S_D
07-30-2008, 01:15 PM
depends on how long Blanco hangs around too.

Rudi
07-30-2008, 01:21 PM
From the Barretta,
Puttin all them holes in your sweata!!!

http://leblogjames.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/biggie-smalls.jpg
The money getter motherfuckers don't have better
Rolex watches and colourful Swatches
I'm digging in pockets, motherfuckers can't stop it :D