PDA

View Full Version : Over 500 former season ticket holders return in 2017.

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 01:45 PM
After the success of this season over 500 former season seat holders have returned in 2017 after previously giving up there seats during the down times. While a lot of us stuck through it, I completelty understand those who decided to take a break for whatever reason. In the end this is great to see.

Redpunkfiddle
12-13-2016, 01:47 PM
How the heck is this known?

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 01:49 PM
How the heck is this known?

Bill Manning said so at TFC's press conference today. Laura Armstrong mentioned it in a tweet.

SirBobSaget
12-13-2016, 01:50 PM
I was one of these returnees. Had to take a couple of years off because of a busy schedule.
My reason to commit for 2017 was mainly so that I can secure tickets to the MLS Cup Final. Will likely only attend half the games and give away the rest to family and Friends.

pprzerac
12-13-2016, 02:02 PM
First time season seats holders for 2017. Signed up because I finally had the means to afford season seats. Usually attended 6 to 8 games per season. Hopefully I can make 10 to 12 games next season. It is hard to make midweek games from London

ScarboroughRed
12-13-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm a new season ticket holder for 2017, I finally have the means to pay for season tickets so my bro and I got some.

I've attended games since 2008 but as a student it was hard to commit to something so bad. So I can understand with those returnees as well.

Just a question, does anybody know how many season ticket holders we have? Just a rough number.

Fort York Redcoat
12-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Bill Manning said so at TFC's press conference today. Laura Armstrong mentioned it in a tweet.

Consider links maybe? Jus sayin.

Auzzy
12-13-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm a new season ticket holder for 2017, I finally have the means to pay for season tickets so my bro and I got some.

I've attended games since 2008 but as a student it was hard to commit to something so bad. So I can understand with those returnees as well.

Just a question, does anybody know how many season ticket holders we have? Just a rough number.

I think it was 20k this year? Probably a bit higher next year?

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 02:19 PM
Consider links maybe? Jus sayin.

on my phone, read it off the app. Otherwise I would have. Will be exciting to be back at BMO in 2017.

Red4ever
12-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Probably sold a good number to ensure tickets for the final.

No source, just willing to bet.

Fort York Redcoat
12-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Probably sold a good number to ensure tickets for the final.

No source, just willing to bet.

I saw a number of those over the course of the weeks leadup. Wouldn't doubt it at all.

Don Julio
12-13-2016, 03:06 PM
If we're suddenly shit again how do we know which one to blame?!

Couchy81
12-13-2016, 03:09 PM
When I bought my seats for next year was chatting with the guy and he said that they've sold more season tickets in the week leading up to the Cup than the previous 1-2 months combined.

GlenM
12-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Please keep us updated and a link to purchase when they come available.

GlenM

ScarboroughRed
12-13-2016, 03:35 PM
What's the cap on season ticket holders with the new stadium capacity?

I've read that this season we averaged above 27K per game. What do you guys think would be an successful increase for 2017?
(my bet would be 29K avg.)

Globetrotter
12-13-2016, 03:41 PM
After the success of this season over 500 former season seat holders have returned in 2017 after previously giving up there seats during the down times. While a lot of us stuck through it, I completelty understand those who decided to take a break for whatever reason. In the end this is great to see.

Well, the stock market has been doing great since Trump was elected, and there's reassurance of more jobs staying in North America - maybe people feel secure spending money whereas in 2011-2013 there was some personal finance balancing and tough decisions to make leading to cutting ties with ticket expenses?

The words "fair weathered" gets thrown around a lot these days...

It takes all types to fill a 30K stadium. Good to see.

12-13-2016, 03:45 PM
Got an email today that the window for relocation will be soon along with the ability to buy additional seats.

YYZ_Fan
12-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Well, the stock market has been doing great since Trump was elected.

Wait...we have Trump to thank for this?

Auzzy
12-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Well, the stock market has been doing great since Trump was elected, and there's reassurance of more jobs staying in North America - maybe people feel secure spending money whereas in 2011-2013 there was some personal finance balancing and tough decisions to make leading to cutting ties with ticket expenses?

The words "fair weathered" gets thrown around a lot these days...

It takes all types to fill a 30K stadium. Good to see.

Wait...we have Trump to thank for this?

Let's not go there, at least not in this thread.

brad
12-13-2016, 08:12 PM
I am one as well. But being a season ticket holder has no bearing on how many games I go to - it's purely a financial choice. Garunteed Final tickets at SSH face vs inflated aftermarket prices also factors into the cost here.

This year I was able to buy in at a low enough price point and I think there will be enough of a resale market that I won't be throwing unused tickets in the garbage like I did in my last season as an SSH.

I will attend exactly the same amount of games I would have as a non-SSH

dupont
12-14-2016, 01:15 AM
on my phone, read it off the app. Otherwise I would have. Will be exciting to be back at BMO in 2017.

Do you have the link now? I'd love to read it. Thanks!

Red CB Toronto
12-14-2016, 05:10 AM
Its ts not an article, just a tweet from the Reds season ending press conferences where Bill was the last one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lauraarmy/status/808735712573001728

Do you have the link now? I'd love to read it. Thanks!

izzyzz
12-14-2016, 01:02 PM
New season seats holder and new forum member here as well. :) I wish I knew they allowed payments in installments, would have bought those seats much sooner.

According to CBC, there were almost 19,000 season holders last year. Hopefully we'll break the 20K in 2017!

Toronto's 18,700 season ticket-holders had first crack at the seats after the league had taken its allotment.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/mls-cup-final-tfc-toronto-sounders-1.3882491

ensco
12-14-2016, 01:26 PM
As always, best to view any team's announcements on SSH levels/trends with a sceptical eye. This is a very cynical part of the sports business.

Using MLS Cup scarcity, which was somewhat artificially created, to drive SSH sales, is not the same thing as growing the base.

I would like to think they've increased interest levels such that single game ticket demand is higher next year. They have never had much walk up. That's really the better litmus test re growth/interest.

A genuinely full, rocking BMO is a great thing.

Red CB Toronto
12-14-2016, 01:48 PM
As always, best to view any team's announcements on SSH levels/trends with a sceptical eye. This is a very cynical part of the sports business.

Using MLS Cup scarcity, which was somewhat artificially created, to drive SSH sales, is not the same thing as growing the base.

I would like to think they've increased interest levels such that single game ticket demand is higher next year. They have never had much walk up. That's really the better litmus test re growth/interest.

A genuinely full, rocking BMO is a great thing.

I am sure they sold some 2017 season tickets due to the MLS Cup hype and ability to access tickets to the final that way. One way they used scarcity to there benefit was letting supoorters buy tickets by the boatloads, thus taking them off the system. I for one had 11 tickets at one point.

Regardless of the spin/narrative the club creates around ticket sales, this season was something special and as you mentioned a packed BMO Field is really quite the experience. It will really be interesting to see how much growth and interest there is.

As I have always said even in 2007-08 TFC was really an in-stadium experience, it was exciting at the games, there was a buzz around them. In reality that was about it. It really did not stretch much beyond it as evident by TV ratings and its overall presssnce/hold on the Toronto market.

brad
12-14-2016, 03:31 PM
When I was considering seasons on the Thursday before the Final tickets went on sale I was watching the SSH seat map. There were a lot of seats dissapearing off it.

BeachTory
12-14-2016, 07:21 PM
If you are buying new seasons in part because you want to ensure an MLS Cup ticket, be sure to buy a seasons seat in a crappy part of the stadium. Those tickets the league will let you buy.

/end_cynical_muttering