PDA

View Full Version : 2017 MLS Calendar release

Mateo1985
12-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Hey guys I know it might be too early but does anyone know when the 2017 calendar will be released? Or does anyone remember when the 2016 was released? Cheers mates

Red4ever
12-12-2016, 02:20 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule/2016/announcement

Mateo1985
12-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Around January 7th then. Thanks

Hamilton_Red
12-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Is it tradition that the season opens with a rematch of the MLS Cup at the Away team's home? Would love to open in Seattle & thrash them good and proper.

Red4ever
12-14-2016, 10:52 AM
2016 Events

December 11
Sunday
Half-Day Trade Window (9 am - 12 pm ET)

No trades involving players will be permitted after 12 pm ET up until the conclusion of the Expansion Draft

December 12
Monday
Expansion Draft Protected Player list and eligible Free Agents list released

December 13
Tuesday
Expansion Draft (2 pm ET)

Beginning at 5 pm ET, Free Agents may engage in negotiations with all MLS clubs

December 14
Wednesday
List of players eligible for selection in the Waiver Draft released

December 15
Thursday
Waiver Draft (2 pm ET)

Beginning at 5 pm ET, clubs may no longer sign or trade their own Re-Entry Draft eligible players (player-trade blackout window)

List of players available in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Draft released

December 16
Friday
Re-Entry Draft - Stage 1 (3 pm ET)

December 21
Wednesday
Starting at 11 am ET, clubs may no longer sign or trade their own Re-Entry Draft eligible players (player-trade blackout window)

List of available players in Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Draft released

December 22
Thursday
Re-Entry Draft - Stage 2 (3 pm ET)

2017 Events

January 7-12
Sat. - Thu.
2017 adidas MLS Player Combine

January 13
Friday
2017 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas

January 23
Monday
2017 MLS preseason begins

Cas87
12-14-2016, 11:03 AM
2016 Events

December 11
Sunday
Half-Day Trade Window (9 am - 12 pm ET)

No trades involving players will be permitted after 12 pm ET up until the conclusion of the Expansion Draft

December 12
Monday
Expansion Draft Protected Player list and eligible Free Agents list released

December 13
Tuesday
Expansion Draft (2 pm ET)

Beginning at 5 pm ET, Free Agents may engage in negotiations with all MLS clubs

December 14
Wednesday
List of players eligible for selection in the Waiver Draft released

December 15
Thursday
Waiver Draft (2 pm ET)

Beginning at 5 pm ET, clubs may no longer sign or trade their own Re-Entry Draft eligible players (player-trade blackout window)

List of players available in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Draft released

December 16
Friday
Re-Entry Draft - Stage 1 (3 pm ET)

December 21
Wednesday
Starting at 11 am ET, clubs may no longer sign or trade their own Re-Entry Draft eligible players (player-trade blackout window)

List of available players in Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Draft released

December 22
Thursday
Re-Entry Draft - Stage 2 (3 pm ET)

2017 Events

January 7-12
Sat. - Thu.
2017 adidas MLS Player Combine

January 13
Friday
2017 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas

January 23
Monday
2017 MLS preseason begins

Based on this the schedule should be out either as the combine begins, or just before the SuperDraft (based on pass releases).

Red4ever
12-14-2016, 11:06 AM
I think you're right. I could see them doing it right after the NCAAF National Championship.

CanadaLFC
12-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Hmm, I saw on twitter that Concacaf is not sure what they want to do about the CCL from a format perspective. Someone even suggested that they might move the next tournament to 2018, because they want to keep the competition in one calendar year. They were citing that currently the gap between group stage and knockout round is too big. Can someone clarify?

Areathrasher
12-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Hmm, I saw on twitter that Concacaf is not sure what they want to do about the CCL from a format perspective. Someone even suggested that they might move the next tournament to 2018, because they want to keep the competition in one calendar year. They were citing that currently the gap between group stage and knockout round is too big. Can someone clarify?

Vanney said they didn't know when it would start as CONCACAF are looking into "format changes"

That backs up what the head of CONCACAF said recently but no real firm detail are known as of yet.

Auzzy
12-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Man they just changed the CONCACAF format (I don't even know what the schedule is up until now). Remember when Vancouver won it based on league position rather than the VC, in the transition year? Now they want to change the format again?

theaub
12-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Hey if they want to change it to give us two spots (first spot to V's Cup winner and second spot to highest MLS placed team that isn't Cup winner) I'd be fine with that.

gmacpheetfc
12-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I don't think the format is up for debate; more the calendar.

I would be shocked if they delayed this year's tournament (2017-18) start until 2018 just from a business standpoint. Would love to see a condensed tournament held from July-Nov 2017 and then transition to a Feb/Mar-Nov Calendar for 2018. Only trouble is the 2018 club world cup spot would likely need to be resolved via a playoff.

Fort York Redcoat
12-14-2016, 01:42 PM

Vancouver made the elimination round and it starts in Feb-April. The last game they played was group stage Aug-Oct 20.

Oct to Feb is a long time.

Areathrasher
12-14-2016, 02:11 PM
I don't think the format is up for debate; more the calendar.

I would be shocked if they delayed this year's tournament (2017-18) start until 2018 just from a business standpoint. Would love to see a condensed tournament held from July-Nov 2017 and then transition to a Feb/Mar-Nov Calendar for 2018. Only trouble is the 2018 club world cup spot would likely need to be resolved via a playoff.

I think it's format and calendar. He was quoted last week as saying "We're pushing for a completely different structure" and that announcements would come in 30 days.

Search his name on twitter and you get results from a CONCACAF congress last week. Most results are in spanish though.

Red CB Toronto
12-14-2016, 04:12 PM
Plus the US announced a friendly today for Jan. 29 in San Diego vs. Serbia. Really won't effect the Reds that much as it early on in the pre-season. Also expect the US to announce a second game sometime soon.

djcuse
12-14-2016, 06:41 PM
I expect like the last 2 seasons, we will see the release of the Opening Weekend matchups, as well as the full list of home opener schedules
sometime before early next week.

Blindside16
12-15-2016, 07:18 AM
I expect like the last 2 seasons, we will see the release of the Opening Weekend matchups, as well as the full list of home opener schedules
sometime before early next week.

I was thinking the same thing. It will be nice not having to wait until May to see the boys at BMO this year.

reggie
12-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Its out.... march 4 at RSL and mar 31 home to KC.

gmacpheetfc
12-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Kind of annoying its on a Friday night given that bradley and Altidore will be away in panama on the Tuesday.

Initial B
12-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Hmmm, 4 away games before TFC's home opener. I guess they want to give time to start growing the new grass they'll have to replace after the Leafs' outdoor classic.

Areathrasher
12-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Kind of annoying its on a Friday night given that bradley and Altidore will be away in panama on the Tuesday.

Shit

ensco
12-21-2016, 12:02 PM
^Fine by me. Early-mid March is pretty similar weather to early December.

I think that we all now know enough to know that those types of conditions should rightly be avoided, to the extent possible.

theaub
12-21-2016, 12:06 PM
We are also Philadelphia's home opener on March 11.

Detroit_TFC
12-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Might try to hit that season opener in Utah, even though it will be colddddddd.

edit: hopefully airfares will come down a bit, ugh

Auzzy
12-21-2016, 01:14 PM
I can understand starting a few weeks later in Toronto, what with the weather, pitch replacement, danger of freezing pipes at BMO etc.

But starting in Utah at 1,400 metres elevation on March 11th, really?!

OgtheDim
12-21-2016, 08:22 PM

At least they won't get killed in January by Camp Klinnsman.

Fort York Redcoat
12-22-2016, 08:50 AM
Sat March 4 v Salt Lake

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/12/21/last-time-we-met-sporting-kansas-city

They are trying their best to pump up a rivalry with this but this is for KC not us. Our first home game ever doesn't resonate much with me. That only skydome regular season game wasn't well attended but was a fun win(thanks Earnshaw).

I've wanted to get to Philly for a couple years now so I'll be making the

Sat Mar 11 v Philly

I'll give it till the full sched comes out before booking but last year I liked having such an early away trip.

Fort York Redcoat
12-22-2016, 09:19 AM

Let's hope they at least observe a break that weekend.

Full sched isn't out yet and there are those 2 weekends between games.

David_Oliveira
12-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Honest question time: What is better? RSL away game in the cold or RSL away game in the heat? Does temperature alter the effects of altitude?

I can understand starting a few weeks later in Toronto, what with the weather, pitch replacement, danger of freezing pipes at BMO etc.

But starting in Utah at 1,400 metres elevation on March 11th, really?!

Auzzy
12-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Honest question time: What is better? RSL away game in the cold or RSL away game in the heat? Does temperature alter the effects of altitude?

Good point, I have no idea. BTW although Toronto is cooler on average during the summer, it is significantly more humid than Salt Lake City at that time. http://www.toronto.climatemps.com/vs/salt-lake-city.php

OgtheDim
01-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Tomorrow, apparently. Including the full TFC schedule - wonder if they'll have the times yet?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/11/mls-unveil-complete-2017-regular-season-schedule-thursday-january-12

Red4ever
01-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Thank god.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NEXVZUPoLVw/hqdefault.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
01-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Can't wait for it.

http://torontoreds.com/files/2015/12/lee-nguyen-justin-morrow-mls-toronto-fc-new-england-revolution.jpg

Still Kicking
01-11-2017, 01:38 PM
I am spending the winter months in Arizona and California. Has there been any preseaon camp news? Irvine is where they trained last year. Fingers crossed.

OgtheDim
01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Not released but seeable via the team website schedule

http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule?month=all&year=2017&club=191&club_options=Filters&op=Update&form_build_id=form-YgclTHcupkQB86-4RUPEY8tmY9ZmbT4rEZdiUoQc-fQ&form_id=mp7_schedule_hub_search_filters_form

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Well guess I'm not getting to Vancouver for that game right after Philly. Maybe we'll meet in Vcup play.

Apr 15 Columbus away for people into that...then again May 15. And the whole Trillium Cup will be done by the end of May. huh

July 5th Orlando away. A Wednesday game no less. booo

Sep 16 LA away. This might be the year for me. Only west trip in the fall.

OgtheDim
01-12-2017, 03:09 PM
6 games in May including away to Seattle and NYRB is going to be tough

Only 1 game during the Ex - a Wednesday night vs Philly.

Detroit_TFC
01-12-2017, 03:10 PM
I'd like to know why there are 5 games in a two week stretch April 28 to May 13.

Red4ever
01-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

HOLY SHIT!

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2017, 03:16 PM
6 games in May including away to Seattle and NYRB is going to be tough

Only 1 game during the Ex - a Wednesday night vs Philly.

Begs the question if there is a friendly planned or is it to benefit the Argos.

mowe
01-12-2017, 03:19 PM
5 home games on Friday, 7 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday, 3 on Wednesday.

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

HOLY SHIT!

That's impressive. Does that happen with any of the other sports - Leafs, Raps?

Red4ever
01-12-2017, 03:21 PM
That's impressive. Does that happen with any of the other sports - Leafs, Raps?

Nah it's August 19th. I hammered on copy and paste but omitted that important detail. haha

OgtheDim
01-12-2017, 03:23 PM
Hmm...for once they might not have clashed with Yom Kippur - if Sept 30th is a night game. I'm not Jewish but know a lot of people who are - that's the one day they can't do anything for fear of Dad/Grandma coming down on them.

OgtheDim
01-12-2017, 03:30 PM
And, this just came out on the MLS website

Gold Cup Break

For the first time MLS will not schedule any matches during the CONCACAF Gold Cup (http://mlssoccer.com/meta/competition/gold-cup) group stage from July 7 through July 17;

&

National TV in USA & Canada

FOX Broadcast Channel will air 4 matches in 2017 and FS1 will broadcast 29 matches in the USA;
ESPN will carry 28 matches, ESPN2 will air 3 MLS games and ESPN Deportes will simulcast all matches in Spanish in the USA. All matches will be streamed live on both WatchESPN and ESPN Deportes+;
Canadian broadcaster TSN will air a record number of MLS matches, including a game of the week on Saturday nights during the season and Friday night matches from March 31 to June 2;
TVA Sports in Canada will air more than 50 MLS matches;
Univision Deportes will showcase MLS in a new Saturday night window in the USA, aligning MLS matches alongside Liga MX action from Mexico. At least 6 MLS matches will air on Univision network, 20 on UniMás and most all matches will be simulcast on Univision Deportes Network (UDN). All MLS matches will also be available in English via SAP (http://www.mlssoccer.com/sap) and livestreamed online via UnivisionDeportes.com. Select broadcasts will feature the popular La Barra pregame show.

Friday night games will be TSN and thus Canadian games focused, including a few away games. This means that MLS is changing US home dates to get Canadian eyeballs. VERY surprising. :canada:

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Friday night games will be TSN and thus Canadian games focused, including a few away games. This means that MLS is changing US home dates to get Canadian eyeballs. VERY surprising. :canada:

Well as much as I prefer consistency there's no fighting tv for better exposure of the game.

SamK
01-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Hmm...for once they might not have clashed with Yom Kippur - if Sept 30th is a night game. I'm not Jewish but know a lot of people who are - that's the one day they can't do anything for fear of Dad/Grandma coming down on them.

Last year was actually the best its been - no conflicts with YK, Rosh hashona or passover. This year on the first night of RH we play mtl. And last year the Sept games were usually late afternoon, so not much hope for Sept 30th either. Oh well.

Scotty74
01-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

blue jays cubs
tfc chicago

HOLY SHIT!

I had already booked accomodation in Chicago to go see the Jays at Wrigley and now that TFC are there the same weekend, it'll be awesome! I can see a TO invasion of Chicago that weekend

paul-collins
01-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Fifa breaks

March 20-28
June 5-13
Gold Cup July 7-26 (@NYCFC July 19; vs Colorado July 22)
Aug 28-Sept 5 (CNE, referenced above)
Oct 2-10
Nov 6-14

so only 2 games during the international calendar. Nice. (of course CCL and VCup not listed yet...)

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Begs the question if there is a friendly planned or is it to benefit the Argos.

It would totally be to ease up the schedule once the CFL season kicks off.

paul-collins
01-12-2017, 04:23 PM
It would totally be to ease up the schedule once the CFL season kicks off.

Actually, I think it's just as much to respect the international window.

Red4ever
01-12-2017, 04:29 PM
I had already booked accomodation in Chicago to go see the Jays at Wrigley and now that TFC are there the same weekend, it'll be awesome! I can see a TO invasion of Chicago that weekend

I could certainly see a few private companies putting some trips together.

RealG-TFC
01-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Second half of the season is considerably tougher IMO. We better hit a home run with whoever we sign in the summer.

Detroit_TFC
01-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Fifa breaks

March 20-28
June 5-13
Oct 2-10
Nov 6-14

so only 2 games during the international calendar. Nice. (of course CCL and VCup not listed yet...)

That's pretty good. 2 games probably won't be too disruptive.

ensco
01-12-2017, 05:38 PM
I wish Montreal were the home opener. Seems like a mistake to have that game come so late in the year.

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2017, 05:48 PM
I wish Montreal were the home opener. Seems like a mistake to have that game come so late in the year.

I guess with it being at the end of August GTA family can travel for it with the kids. Have a nice weekend in Montreal before heading back to school.

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Love the Friday night games, bust out of work early, head to the bar and down to the game, giving you the rest of your weekend.

gmacpheetfc
01-12-2017, 05:53 PM
so Columbus away?

OgtheDim
01-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Quirks in the schedule

We are done with Columbus by the end of May - play them 3 times in the first 14 games.

We play no home games on Canadian holiday weekends - we are in Dallas on July 1st.

Of our last 8 games, 3 are with Montreal.

Our longest home stand is 3 games - its in April.

Our first ever away game to either of the new teams is the last game of the season in Atlanta.

Ponderosa
01-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Hotels in Montreal for August 27 are selling out fast ...1 night running at least $175+ at most places near Peel (Best Western, Travelodge, Novotel)

Auzzy
01-12-2017, 08:52 PM
So kind of what I was expecting: 5 home games (and only 1 away game) from March 31st through May 3rd, when the weather mostly sucks especially down by the lake. Partly to free up more time in the summer & fall for the Argos, plus needing to leave room for the CCL etc. I guess.

4 home games & 6 away games in July & Aug; that's not as unbalanced as I was expecting.

However 2pm home on Sunday July 30th: yuck. Most of the other summer times are not specified yet.

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Actually, I think it's just as much to respect the international window.

Yes. There is definitely compensating going on for the Gold Cup/International break. This is pretty amazing from MLS, actually. Good on them.

Petor
01-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Hotels in Montreal for August 27 are selling out fast ...1 night running at least $175+ at most places near Peel (Best Western, Travelodge, Novotel)

I managed to book a train trip($99 return) and hotel($550 for 3 nights) yesterday. \o/

Hotel rooms are going to be scarce later on as the city of Montreal will be celebrating their 375th anniversary all year.
http://www.375mtl.com/en/

Also the Montreal Film Festival will be on while Toronto is in town.
http://www.ffm-montreal.org/en/home.html

paul-collins
01-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Yes. There is definitely compensating going on for the Gold Cup/International break. This is pretty amazing from MLS, actually. Good on them.
Yes, this is a necessary step forward for the league (if this is in fact the motivation).

We won't be losing Bradley, Altidore, Cooper, etc for stretches of the summer to other competitions, which is huge for us. Last summer we had a makeshift midfield for a good stretch, and were able to weather the storm. (Cheyrou was massive during that time) This year we will have a better shot at keeping the team together...

Auzzy
01-13-2017, 09:21 AM
But we may still be losing those guys for 8 days + travel time, for the KO & final rounds of the Gold Cup, is that correct?

Globetrotter
01-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Why are there so many Friday home games? Have we ever even had 5 of them in 10 years combined??

ensco
01-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Why are there so many Friday home games? Have we ever even had 5 of them in 10 years combined??

Because Saturday night is a disaster for TV ratings, especially in the summer.

Trying something new. Not the worst idea. It ends once the CFL season starts.

They obviously have a decision yet to be made with the September/October Saturday games, in terms of start times. I think they'd love for them all to be Saturday nights, but then they'd have several games going head to head with HNIC, which seems dumb.

Globetrotter
01-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Because Saturday night is a disaster for TV ratings.

But Shark Tank is on Friday nights!!!!

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2017, 10:58 AM
But we may still be losing those guys for 8 days + travel time, for the KO & final rounds of the Gold Cup, is that correct?

Looks that way. It's a tough sell to take the entire tourney off with a sched this long.

OgtheDim
01-13-2017, 11:06 AM

TSN new contract

C.Ronaldo
01-13-2017, 11:10 AM
friday night is AWESOME!!!!

gives me two full days to reocoup

ouderwien
01-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Hard to come down from up north for Friday games, but interested to see the numbers they'll get on TV

paul-collins
01-13-2017, 01:19 PM
Fifa breaks

March 20-28
June 5-13
Oct 2-10
Nov 6-14

Yes, two games overlap GC final week (as far as FIFA's listing of the GC dates is concerned). I'm sure any Americans would expect to still be playing that week in the GC.

The knockout games aren't yet announced so we don't actually know when the GC ends; I'm assuming it'll be contained in the FIFA dates, but I've seen suggestion elsewhere that it could be as late as July 30 (I hope that's not true).

The Americans kick off July 8 in group B, and we play in Orlando July 5. We shouldn't lose our Americans. Not sure about Cooper or any Canucks (or others) though.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Yes, two games overlap GC final week (as far as FIFA's listing of the GC dates is concerned). I'm sure any Americans would expect to still be playing that week in the GC.

The knockout games aren't yet announced so we don't actually know when the GC ends; I'm assuming it'll be contained in the FIFA dates, but I've seen suggestion elsewhere that it could be as late as July 30 (I hope that's not true).

The Americans kick off July 8 in group B, and we play in Orlando July 5. We shouldn't lose our Americans. Not sure about Cooper or any Canucks (or others) though.

They will be gone before than, players will be released at least a week before as they have always been in the past.

Couchy81
01-13-2017, 05:40 PM
The Friday night games are fantastic for local fans but I can see why some people who live outside of the city proper would be annoyed by it given the Friday rush hour commute.

james
01-14-2017, 04:37 AM
I just hope the Friday games kickoff are at 7:30pm or even better 8pm. 7pm kickoffs for weekday games are brutal when such large numbers of people don't Finnish work till 4pm-6pm...plus rush hour exc, it's the worst time, even those that live in Toronto 7pm can be a mad dash to make it on time. stadiums always half empty at 7pm.

Heepster
01-14-2017, 11:27 AM
For the first time MLS will not schedule any matches during the CONCACAF Gold Cup (http://mlssoccer.com/meta/competition/gold-cup) group stage from July 7 through July 17;

... Gold Cup July 7-26 (@NYCFC July 19; vs Colorado July 22)The Toronto IndyCar race weekend is July 14-16, so there would not have been a home game then anyway.
FWIW, apparently there's a good chance the 2017 event could be the last one before it moves out to Mosport, where the track's multi-billionaire owner (Carlo Fidani of Orlando Corp.) may want to acquire it while the city and present promoters may be ready to give up.
http://racingnorth.ca/2016/07/18/is-the-street-course-at-exhibition-place-nearing-its-expiry-date/

Auzzy
01-16-2017, 12:40 AM
Holy shit, no CCL games this year? 2017-18 tournament (for which TFC has already qualified) will restart Feb. 2018?

- I wish CONCACAF would make their minds up & stick with it. Wasn't it only 2015 that the tournament format was last changed, and Vancouver qualified by way of their MLS table position as the VC was bypassed as the qualifier? Now they change it again?

- Where the hell is TFC going to play a February home game, with the Roger Centre increasingly unavailable? Unless they can avoid the Feb. matches due to the MLS participants apparently skipping the group stage & advancing directly to the 16-team knockout phase.

I believe some SSH'ers already pre-paid for CCL games for 2017, let's see how that works out. I was looking forward to CCL games again, too bad. At least we'll avoid some of the fixture congestion this summer, giving players (and the pitch) more time to recuperate.

I read about it here: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/14/tfc-was-in-position-of-strength-at-this-years-mls-draft

Fort York Redcoat
01-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Holy shit, no CCL games this year? 2017-18 tournament (for which TFC has already qualified) will restart Feb. 2018?

- I wish CONCACAF would make their minds up & stick with it. Wasn't it only 2015 that the tournament format was last changed, and Vancouver qualified by way of their MLS table position as the VC was bypassed as the qualifier? Now they change it again?

- Where the hell is TFC going to play a February home game, with the Roger Centre increasingly unavailable? Unless they can avoid the Feb. matches due to the MLS participants apparently skipping the group stage & advancing directly to the 16-team knockout phase.

I believe some SSH'ers already pre-paid for CCL games for 2017, let's see how that works out. I was looking forward to CCL games again, too bad. At least we'll avoid some of the fixture congestion this summer, giving players (and the pitch) more time to recuperate.

I read about it here: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/14/tfc-was-in-position-of-strength-at-this-years-mls-draft

Ugh. Sounds like another CCL scheduling nightmare. Feb was for the KO portion. Now what?

pdogg
01-16-2017, 09:44 AM
MLS teams (and others) are getting a bye for the group stage. The smaller countries are participating in group stage in the summer, still.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_CONCACAF_Champions_League#Possible _new_format

In December 2016, Manuel Quintanilla, president of the Nicaraguan Football Federation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaraguan_Football_Federation), spoke of a possible new format for the competition, a statement that was later corroborated by Garth Lagerwey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Lagerwey), the general manager of the Seattle Sounders FC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_FC).[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_CONCACAF_Champions_League#cite_not e-7) The competition would be expanded from 24 to 31 teams, and would be divided into two phases: Autumn and Spring. Sixteen teams will take part in each tournament:[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_CONCACAF_Champions_League#cite_not e-8)

In the Autumn tournament (from August to October), there would be thirteen Central American clubs and three Caribbean clubs. The champion would qualify for the Spring tournament.
In the Spring tournament, there would be four Mexican clubs, four American clubs, one Canadian club, five Central American clubs, one Caribbean club and the winner of the Autumn tournament.

paul-collins
01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Wait, didn't we pay (or at least have the option) for those tournament games as part of our renewal?

ensco
01-16-2017, 10:01 AM
If Orlando gets in, and we play them, does Will Johnson get to play 45 minutes for us and 45 minutes for them?

spe18
01-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Wait, didn't we pay (or at least have the option) for those tournament games as part of our renewal?

Yes, there was, and I certainly paid for it (with the 2 for 1 deal). Now it’ll be interesting to see what happens if no champions league games are played this season. My guess is either a refund for those, or a summer friendly takes place instead, and those that paid will get a credit for that game :D

Or maybe a credit towards playoff tickets instead :)

TFC Tifoso
01-16-2017, 11:52 AM
haven't seen kick off times yet so I'm guessing they haven't been nailed down....correct?
should be pretty easy to guess, but wondering mostly if the Saturday kickoffs are going back to late afternoon or staying night games....

Cas87
01-16-2017, 12:19 PM
haven't seen kick off times yet so I'm guessing they haven't been nailed down....correct?
should be pretty easy to guess, but wondering mostly if the Saturday kickoffs are going back to late afternoon or staying night games....

Would lean towards the Saturday games being mostly nights again (no hockey to compete against, and could manoeuvre the CFL games around it).

guelphguy1965
01-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Sept 16th vs LA is very doable for me and son. Been wanting to go to LA for TFC game for few years now :-)

TFC Tifoso
01-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Would lean towards the Saturday games being mostly nights again (no hockey to compete against, and could manoeuvre the CFL games around it).

ya wouldn't be surprised....but I won't complain at all if they go back to afternoon....I liked those much better...

Cas87
01-16-2017, 01:20 PM
ya wouldn't be surprised....but I won't complain at all if they go back to afternoon....I liked those much better...

Just as long as there isn't anymore 2pm starts in the dead of summer I am happy.
Damn you ESPN!
https://frinkiac.com/gif/S06E24/1236384/1241222.gif?b64lines=

TFC Tifoso
01-16-2017, 02:01 PM
ya those were brutal....4 pm was ideal imo....were able to get out of there by 6 and home no later that 7 for people who had a bit to get home....and you could still make something out of your Saturday night....

I gave up a lot of tickets last year or just let them burn with my seats empty for too many games....

Red CB Toronto
01-16-2017, 03:16 PM
ya those were brutal....4 pm was ideal imo....were able to get out of there by 6 and home no later that 7 for people who had a bit to get home....and you could still make something out of your Saturday night....

I gave up a lot of tickets last year or just let them burn with my seats empty for too many games....

Was it the Saturday nights the caused you to bail on games?

Mateo1985
01-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Does any one have that PDF file of our schedule? Been trying to find it to use as wallpaper on work and home computers but can't find it. Cheers

TFC Tifoso
01-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Was it the Saturday nights the caused you to bail on games?

yup....not really ideal to have to burn multiple Saturday nights in the summer if you have a family....some can do it, but I think most can't....

but really liking the look of these Friday games this year.....

annie
01-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Not loving 5 Friday night games this year. Trying to get in to/out of the City from/to the west end on a Friday night in the summer is brutal. Plus there's my early tee off golf times on Saturday mornings - don't think my golf game will be improving this year.

paul-collins
01-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Not loving 5 Friday night games this year. Trying to get in to/out of the City from/to the west end on a Friday night in the summer is brutal.

The travel to and from Saturday games was going to be easier on me this year, as the GO Barrie line has introduced weekend train service. I just hope that they consider "event" service for weeknights for post-game, otherwise I'll have to use the bus. :(

Joe Kool
01-17-2017, 10:52 AM
I personally like the Friday night games especially since my son is playing his soccer games on Saturdays starting this year so that worked out well. I was a little shocked to see them but I was happy. I realize it doesn't work for everyone.....but then again no schedule will ever work for everyone.

Adamo23
01-17-2017, 01:23 PM
The travel to and from Saturday games was going to be easier on me this year, as the GO Barrie line has introduced weekend train service. I just hope that they consider "event" service for weeknights for post-game, otherwise I'll have to use the bus. :(

The latest train on the Barrie line leaves union at 11. When does the average TFC game finish? If it's an afternoon game it's perfect because I can take my time walking back. I usally walk from union if I take the train or park there it's not that far of a walk It always takes me 20 mins to walk there. It's better to walk than pay $8 to transfer trains to get to another station.

paul-collins
01-18-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure what fare for transfer you're talking about.

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/fares/farecalculator.aspx

I get the same fare from Exhibition to Maple that I get for Union to Maple. I think that's true whether the Union-Maple leg is bus or train.

Now, Exhibition-Union is $5.30 on its own, but as part of a longer ride passing through Union, it doesn't seem to be long enough to affect the total fare whether you get on at Exhibition or at Union.

The eastbound trains leave the Ex every half hour on the hour. So a 7:30 start would get you on the 10:00 train and into Union around 10:07.

An 8:00 kickoff would get you on the 10:30 LSW eastbound train, getting to Union at 10:37, aiming for the 10:50 northbound Barrie train.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Finishing your trip at either Union or the Ex does not change the price of the overall trip as its the same zone. It's Zone 2 which consists of the following stations:

Toronto Union Station (https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Union_Station)
Union Station GO Bus Terminal (https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Union_Station_GO_Bus_Terminal)
Exhibition GO Station (https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Exhibition_GO_Station)
Bloor GO Station (https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Bloor_GO_Station)

G55
01-19-2017, 05:00 PM
I also live in Maple....I usually drive to Wilson then take the subway down. How long does the Go Train from Maple take to get you down to Union?

Thanks

I'm not sure what fare for transfer you're talking about.

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/fares/farecalculator.aspx

I get the same fare from Exhibition to Maple that I get for Union to Maple. I think that's true whether the Union-Maple leg is bus or train.

Now, Exhibition-Union is $5.30 on its own, but as part of a longer ride passing through Union, it doesn't seem to be long enough to affect the total fare whether you get on at Exhibition or at Union.

The eastbound trains leave the Ex every half hour on the hour. So a 7:30 start would get you on the 10:00 train and into Union around 10:07.

An 8:00 kickoff would get you on the 10:30 LSW eastbound train, getting to Union at 10:37, aiming for the 10:50 northbound Barrie train.

Adamo23
01-19-2017, 06:12 PM
I also live in Maple....I usually drive to Wilson then take the subway down. How long does the Go Train from Maple take to get you down to Union?

Thanks

The average ride from Maple to Union is 25-35 mins but keep in mind that GO Trains are always delayed. Subway from Wilson to Union is around 45- 60 mins

paul-collins
01-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Nah, the Maple train is very consistent (weekdays) - the only place a delay may occur on weekends is when they cross the CP line at Davenport, as CP's freight schedulers on the weekend may not be as familiar as they are on the weekdays.

The train from Maple takes 32 minutes, maybe 35 if they have to wait for a platform to open up at Union. You then have to wait for the LSW to go to Exhibition, but that leg only takes 5 min on train once it's rolling. (Every half hour, on the :13 or :43)

Schedule for transfers to get *to* the Ex is not very coordinated; there are a couple of trains that arrive 3 minutes before the LSW departs. That would make me nervous...

I will say this, though - if you are cost indifferent, it was faster to take LSW to the Ex even with a 25 minute wait, than it was if you walked straight onto the QQ streetcar, with less walking than taking the Fort York bus (which is about the same time as the 25+5).

kodiakTFC
01-20-2017, 02:35 PM
I sincerely hope we have more 8pm starts if we're playing so many Friday and Wednesday games. Give people who work or who have families a chance.

pprzerac
01-20-2017, 03:28 PM
8pm would be nice, it is difficult to make it on time for kickoff from London on weeknight games

Adamo23
01-20-2017, 04:35 PM
I sincerely hope we have more 8pm starts if we're playing so many Friday and Wednesday games. Give people who work or who have families a chance.

I just want 8pm games to see the roof and exterior light up. Just a beautiful scene!

G55
01-21-2017, 12:10 PM
I've never taken the Go Train before so excuse my ignorance, does the train run before and after night time games? From the way I read the Go Train schedule it appears to me that it doesn't, but I can't really decipher it. It's way to confusing for me. I go to a lot of TFC, Jays and Raptors games and the train would be ideal.

Thanks again

Nah, the Maple train is very consistent (weekdays) - the only place a delay may occur on weekends is when they cross the CP line at Davenport, as CP's freight schedulers on the weekend may not be as familiar as they are on the weekdays.

The train from Maple takes 32 minutes, maybe 35 if they have to wait for a platform to open up at Union. You then have to wait for the LSW to go to Exhibition, but that leg only takes 5 min on train once it's rolling. (Every half hour, on the :13 or :43)

Schedule for transfers to get *to* the Ex is not very coordinated; there are a couple of trains that arrive 3 minutes before the LSW departs. That would make me nervous...

I will say this, though - if you are cost indifferent, it was faster to take LSW to the Ex even with a 25 minute wait, than it was if you walked straight onto the QQ streetcar, with less walking than taking the Fort York bus (which is about the same time as the 25+5).

Brandino88
01-21-2017, 01:57 PM
From bmo (exhibition go) the last train usually runs around midnight. They run before and after games, just go to the go website and input your stations.Im thinking about getting a presto card for this season, I'm just wondering if its worth getting one or just using cash

Adamo23
01-21-2017, 04:43 PM
From bmo (exhibition go) the last train usually runs around midnight. They run before and after games, just go to the go website and input your stations.Im thinking about getting a presto card for this season, I'm just wondering if its worth getting one or just using cash

I have a presto card and it's amazing. It saves so much more time than buying a ticket. All you need to do is tap your card when you get on and tap it when you get off. I also believe you can set it up so you just tap it once when you get on and don't need to tap it again when you get off. You can set it up on the app or website to add money on it.
https://www.prestocard.ca/en/

FootBallAZ
01-22-2017, 01:55 PM
1st time season holder thanks to wanting to go to the finals.
btw- bumped in to bebe from the raptors after the game,

im reading not many people are happy with 5 home games in the early parts of the season,
and can i ask what is this ccl tickets about-

im in section 206 btw !

Brandino88
01-22-2017, 04:46 PM
1st time season holder thanks to wanting to go to the finals.
btw- bumped in to bebe from the raptors after the game,

im reading not many people are happy with 5 home games in the early parts of the season,
and can i ask what is this ccl tickets about-

im in section 206 btw !

Its our confederations version of the uefa champions league. Unfortunately it looks like concacaf aren't going to be holding the tournament this year, because theyre trying to figure out how to re vamp it. We have or had the opportunity to buy tickets with the seasons package so i dont know what the F.O is going to do now. Perhaps a refund, or a friendly aganist a powerhpuse club.

OgtheDim
01-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Manning hates friendlies. Likely going to get a refund applied to the membership fee (which is now monthly with an annual renewal).

paul-collins
01-22-2017, 08:59 PM
I've never taken the Go Train before so excuse my ignorance, does the train run before and after night time games? From the way I read the Go Train schedule it appears to me that it doesn't, but I can't really decipher it. It's way to confusing for me. I go to a lot of TFC, Jays and Raptors games and the train would be ideal.

Thanks again
As Brandion88 noted, the Lakeshore West train (which serves Exhibition) does run all day.

Trains going north do not run late at night on weeknights - it is currently just a commuter service, so downtown in the morning, northbound at the end of the work day.

The plan over the next few years is to establish all day, two way service on all lines, but that won't be this year - so if you're heading north, you'll have to take a bus from Union at the end of the day.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/rer/rer_barrie.aspx

Saturdays and Sundays are a different story, as they've started the Barrie weekend trains, and the last one is late enough to get you home after the game (if you're heading to Aurora or south of there).

Auzzy
01-23-2017, 11:52 AM
New CONCACAF schedule released. (Perhaps it warrants its own thread.)

http://www.concacaf.com/article/concacaf-expands-club-competition-field-implements-new-champions-league-format

So only one Canadian team, and the competition that we & US MLS teams play in runs from Feb - May each year. Also new schedule starts 2017-2018, so does that mean we skip the CCL this year?

More questions than answers for me.

- Odd to be skipping the year. 2016 VC win basically leads to nothing. 2017 VC winner will go to the Feb 2108 CCL I assume.

- I don't know how Cdn or northern US teams are supposed to play in February (or even in early March). The attempt seems to be to get the tournament over quicker, so there's little room for delay due to extreme weather.

- There's going to be significant fixture congestion until May, when there are usually lots of MLS games. Also MLS teams will be rusty early in the season.

gmacpheetfc
01-23-2017, 11:54 AM
I reckon this will pave the way for LIGA MX and MLS to have a cup competition that runs from June-Nov.

OgtheDim
01-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Confirmed that CCL won't take place until February.

Of note, the entries are to be reseeded based on past performance within CCL - i.e. Unlikely a Canadian team will face a Mexican/US one in the first round.

Ticket options for the CCL paid for coming according to a manger on twitter

Red CB Toronto
01-23-2017, 12:18 PM
So why did they scrap the group stage, if it works for UEFA why not CONCACAF?

spe18
01-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Basically we are still playing in the 2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League. However we (and other MLS/Liga MX, et al teams) no longer play in the first half (which is usually August-October). So technically, we now only play in the second half.

I guess a way of saying it is the first half is a qualification tournament for a select number of countries. The winner of that tournament then moves onto the main draw.

Also, I'm quite sure the 2017 Canadian champions would go onto the 2018-2019 CONCACAF Champions League.

New CONCACAF schedule released. (Perhaps it warrants its own thread.)

http://www.concacaf.com/article/concacaf-expands-club-competition-field-implements-new-champions-league-format

So only one Canadian team, and the competition that we & US MLS teams play in runs from Feb - May each year. Also new schedule starts 2017-2018, so does that mean we skip the CCL this year?

More questions than answers for me.

- Odd to be skipping the year. 2016 VC win basically leads to nothing. 2017 VC winner will go to the Feb 2108 CCL I assume.

- I don't know how Cdn or northern US teams are supposed to play in February (or even in early March). The attempt seems to be to get the tournament over quicker, so there's little room for delay due to extreme weather.

- There's going to be significant fixture congestion until May, when there are usually lots of MLS games. Also MLS teams will be rusty early in the season.

Fort York Redcoat
01-23-2017, 01:10 PM
We got a trophy out of it, Eh?

spe18
01-23-2017, 01:47 PM

Just a guess on my part, but maybe one theory is because group stage games were generally very poorly attended for the most part. Did you see all the empty seats in these games?

troy1982
01-23-2017, 02:04 PM

Too many games, it's the same reason we went to 3 team groups instead of 4 and now the elimination of the groups stage, or you can look at it as a group stage of 2 teams.

OgtheDim
01-23-2017, 02:32 PM
If the CSA was smart, they would play the Voyageurs this season indicating that if any other team then Toronto wins, they will play Toronto in a one off game to see who goes to the CCL in 2018. Home game at the 2017 winner.

The TV on that would be big.

OgtheDim
01-23-2017, 02:35 PM

For the small teams in smaller countries, the travel was very expensive for not much return. Can you imagine the cost for a team from El Salvador to go to Seattle?

This way, the non-Champions and the Caribbean teams play within a smaller geographic boundary.

spe18
01-23-2017, 02:51 PM
If the CSA was smart, they would play the Voyageurs this season indicating that if any other team then Toronto wins, they will play Toronto in a one off game to see who goes to the CCL in 2018. Home game at the 2017 winner.

The TV on that would be big.

Good idea, but not sure why this would be necessary since Toronto FC has already qualified for the 2017-18 tournament. And the winner of this year’s Canadian Championship (2017) qualifies for the 2018-19 edition.

Additionally, CONCACAF has already listed Toronto FC as the Canadian representative for 2017-18. So if you were to change it, then you might need CONCACAF’s approval too.

Red CB Toronto
01-23-2017, 03:28 PM
What they should do is make the the 2018 VCup Champion the team that goes to the 2018-19 tournament. I am not really a fan of a team winning the VCup and qualifying for a tournament that is a year and half later. The drawback is that in doing this you essentially make the 2017 VCup a stand alone thing. The CSA one year did use the MLS standings when they were transitioning to having their representative qualified a full year before Champions League. While it would not be ideal, the VCup is still the championship for Canada.

TFC Tifoso
01-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Basically we are still playing in the 2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League. However we (and other MLS/Liga MX, et al teams) no longer play in the first half (which is usually August-October). So technically, we now only play in the second half.

I guess a way of saying it is the first half is a qualification tournament for a select number of countries. The winner of that tournament then moves onto the main draw.

Also, I'm quite sure the 2017 Canadian champions would go onto the 2018-2019 CONCACAF Champions League.

Ya that's pretty much it....

This article sums it up nicely....
http://www.espnfc.us/concacaf-champions-league/story/3044900/concacaf-champions-league-unveils-new-format-without-group-stage

OgtheDim
01-23-2017, 03:59 PM
I think playing a tournament with the reward, beyond the national championship, being CCL in 18 months is a bit much. I suspect TFC ain't getting in 2017-2018 without winning the Voyageurs this year. Same with the US teams.

Maybe we'll get some Victor bucks for this. :)

Redpunkfiddle
01-23-2017, 04:07 PM
I think playing a tournament with the reward, beyond the national championship, being CCL in 18 months is a bit much. I suspect TFC ain't getting in 2017-2018 without winning the Voyageurs this year. Same with the US teams.

Maybe we'll get some Victor bucks for this. :)

The CONCACAF article states we are guaranteed a place in the next club championship series so I don't see why we'd give that up or agree to play VCup 2017 winner for it (which will be us, so doesn't matter, eh?)

Clubs that have already qualified for the 2017/18 edition of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League maintain guaranteed participation in one of the two tournaments of the upcoming club championship season; which tournament is decided based on aggregate results and the indexing of the respective leagues.

OgtheDim
01-23-2017, 04:22 PM
I just don't think MLS teams are going to say, "Yeah, we won the right to play in a competition 18-20 months from now!!"

Redpunkfiddle
01-23-2017, 04:27 PM
I just don't think MLS teams are going to say, "Yeah, we won the right to play in a competition 18-20 months from now!!"

Why not? What do they have to lose?

spe18
01-23-2017, 04:34 PM

In that case, I would think the 2016 Liga MX Apertura champions and Apertura runner-ups will say the same thing too :D

mowe
01-23-2017, 04:45 PM

They're most likely doing a gap year. Everybody who already qualified in 2016 enters in 2018, no CCL qualification this year, then you move to qualify in 2018 for the 2019 tournament and so on.

Auzzy
01-23-2017, 06:20 PM
So everyone's OK with our CCL games being February - May? I don't understand how that's supposed to work in Toronto & a couple of northern US MLS teams. Montreal can play at Olympic Stadium I guess (and keep their fingers crossed it doesn't snow too much before their home games).

fergiejr
01-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Schedule can be worked out where we have home games later. You might see Skydome thrown in. The fact is that this is when the championship rounds are played right now - remember the Galaxy game at the dome? If you look at the upcoming ccl fixtures for the 2016/2017 campaign you'll see teams playing next month in the final rounds.

Adamo23
01-23-2017, 10:49 PM
Schedule can be worked out where we have home games later. You might see Skydome thrown in. The fact is that this is when the championship rounds are played right now - remember the Galaxy game at the dome? If you look at the upcoming ccl fixtures for the 2016/2017 campaign you'll see teams playing next month in the final rounds.

Hate to break it to you but if you are going to play soccer at the dome, you are gonna have to play with a giant dirt baseball infield. Unlike before the sand in the diamond is permanent and cannot be taken out. Would you really want to play on a field that NYCFC has? But it'll be interesting to see how TFC coops with the weather!

ensco
01-23-2017, 11:00 PM
If you can play in BMO at night in December, you can play there in the afternoon in February.

Not that it's cheap, or smart, to do that.

spe18
01-24-2017, 12:11 AM
Hate to break it to you but if you are going to play soccer at the dome, you are gonna have to play with a giant dirt baseball infield. Unlike before the sand in the diamond is permanent and cannot be taken out. Would you really want to play on a field that NYCFC has? But it'll be interesting to see how TFC coops with the weather!

I'm quite sure you can still lay turf over the sand base during the offseason when the baseball field is removed.

If you can play in BMO at night in December, you can play there in the afternoon in February.

Except CCL games have to be played in the evenings.

Red CB Toronto
01-24-2017, 12:32 AM

I don't think its smart at all. The MLS Cup is one thing, a February Champions League especially if its against a Central American club no one knows might not go over very well from a ticket sales perspective on a snowy winter day. I think the advantages/positives of playing in the dome at that time of year outweigh the negatives including some extra costs.

Blindside16
01-24-2017, 03:15 AM
They're most likely doing a gap year. Everybody who already qualified in 2016 enters in 2018, no CCL qualification this year, then you move to qualify in 2018 for the 2019 tournament and so on.

I think that this makes the most sense. They will still have a Voyageurs cup, but for this year it will end there.

OgtheDim
01-24-2017, 07:19 AM
I'm quite sure you can still lay turf over the sand base during the offseason when the baseball field is removed.

Except CCL games have to be played in the evenings.

Uh, that game in December was at night.

And, no, laying down turf isn't going to happen at the Dome. Apart from it being dangerous and danged expensive, the Skydome sees a lot of events in Jan and Feb and thus can't really support grass.

We'll be playing these games at BMO.

fergiejr
01-24-2017, 08:11 AM
I don't want to see another game played at the dome. I was just throwing it out there as an option. :hide:

NYRB is at home to Vancouver on Feb 22nd of this month. So it is nothing new that the final rounds are played starting in Feb.

That being said, Harrison NJ is probably 5-6 deg warmer on average in Feb than Toronto. And we all know how much every degree counts when it's cold outside...

Cas87
01-24-2017, 09:05 AM
I'd say that if our CCL games were this February that MLSE would move them into the Dome (capitalise of the excitement from MLS Cup, as well as the turf at BMO currently being nowhere near ready).

But as our games will be February 2018, I'd see them try their absolute hardest to keep them in BMO for that time.

Initial B
01-24-2017, 11:55 AM
I get the feeling that they will always play the second leg of the first round, to give the environment time to warm up (maybe end of February with second leg in March?). And they will play at BMO, if only to completely shock the opposing team if they're from a southern climate. Problem is, they're pretty much guaranteed to be playing either another MLS or Liga MX club that round. We're not the only ones with this issue, though - imagine a MinnU-TFC matchup one year. :eek:

Auzzy
01-24-2017, 12:17 PM
On average, the weather in February is quite different from December. For example two years ago, we had some February days with HIGHs of -15 to -20, and lows of -25 (getting there in the evening). I don't think that's a good idea for anybody, and much of the piping at BMO Field can't handle it.

I don't get the whole new CCL schedule, it seems nuts. They only changed it two years ago, now again??? Yes they've had the occasional Feb & March CCL games in the past, but at least there were fewer & they were more spread out. Easier to reschedule around really bad weather for example.

PS And the weather in NY/NJ is also quite different.

Areathrasher
01-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Confirmed that CCL won't take place until February.

Of note, the entries are to be reseeded based on past performance within CCL - i.e. Unlikely a Canadian team will face a Mexican/US one in the first round.

Ticket options for the CCL paid for coming according to a manger on twitter

So,did that email ever go out?

GerMc
01-27-2017, 03:01 PM
I got the email from TFC on Monday. Options were as follows:

Donate to send youth facing barriers to a TFC Clinic at MLSE LaunchPad*
Keep the credit on account to use for future matches**
Refund the credit to original method of purchase

*Donations over $20 will receive a tax receipt issued to the primary name on account.
**Good until Oct. 31st 2017. Not eligible for interest.

I decided on the donation, since I already paid the $$$ a while back.

Cas87
01-27-2017, 03:16 PM
^^^

I got an email on Monday as well but, probably because I am on the payment plan, my monthly instalments will be decreased.

Areathrasher
01-27-2017, 03:18 PM
Checked all my folders and haven't received anything. Guess, i'll follow up with a rep.

Joe Kool
01-27-2017, 05:59 PM
^^^

I got an email on Monday as well but, probably because I am on the payment plan, my monthly instalments will be decreased.

Me too. No other options. Just that they will decrease my payments.

spe18
01-27-2017, 07:17 PM
I got an email with the 3 options. I guess it's because I made 1 full payment.

I chose the option to refunded.

pprzerac
01-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Looking for your guys opinion. I'm splitting season seats with a friend this year. Which 8 games are you guys most looking forward to this year?

These are the 8 I'm thinking
1. Montreal Oct 15
2. Kansas Mar 31
3. NY FC Jul 30
4. Montreal Sept 20
5. Columbus May 26
6. Colorado July 22
7. Portland Aug 12
8. Chicago April 21

Any changes you guys would make?

OgtheDim
01-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Pick the midweek game with Philly on August 23 over the August 12th game with Portland. Its the only game during the Ex and that's always a fun atmosphere.

pprzerac
01-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Pick the midweek game with Philly on August 23 over the August 12th game with Portland. Its the only game during the Ex and that's always a fun atmosphere.

That's a good point. Thanks will do

pdogg
02-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Is there any way to determine which games are going to be Premium, Regular, Value (or whatever assignment they give them)? I assume mid-week, NCC will be the cheapest and any major DPs and Montreal games will be premiums...

OgtheDim
02-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Is there any way to determine which games are going to be Premium, Regular, Value (or whatever assignment they give them)? I assume mid-week, NCC will be the cheapest and any major DPs and Montreal games will be premiums...

Should be getting that soon. Just received the email for SSH about buying additional tickets.

tfcfans
02-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Any chance we will know the actual game times for the weekend games before the onsale next week? I'd like to buy extras knowing if its an afternoon game or a night game as it might affect some of my choices, and I imagine it might be a consideration for a few others out there too.....

tfcfans
02-07-2017, 08:05 PM
I was sent this from my ticket rep. --- This should give you a basic idea of the game "designation" breakdown for the year.

Toronto FC 2017 Schedule

Date

Opponent

Tier

Friday, March 31

Sporting KC

Saturday, April 8

Atlanta

Friday, April 21

Chicago

Friday, April 28

Houston

Wednesday, May 3

Orlando City

Saturday, May 13

Minnesota

Friday, May 26

Columbus

Saturday, June 17

D.C. United

Friday, June 23

New England

Saturday, July 22

Colorado

Sunday, July 30

New York City FC

Saturday, August 12

Portland

Wednesday, August 23

Philadelphia

Saturday, September 9

San Jose

Wednesday, September 20

Montreal

Saturday, September 30

New York Red Bulls

Sunday, October 15

Montreal

Amway Game #1

Amway Game #2

OgtheDim
02-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Aaa....so that's why I paid more then twice for the same seats between Chicago and Philly.

Some great deals yesterday - I paid $58 for Dark Greys.

Areathrasher
02-09-2017, 01:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4PjBz-UkAAX43f.jpg

7 games on CTV http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/09/canadian-national-broadcast-schedule-2017-revealed-ctv-air-7-games

leafsman
02-09-2017, 02:10 PM
So the only afternoon game is in the middle of summer rather than spring

OgtheDim
02-09-2017, 02:23 PM

May 13 game is at 3.

Cas87
02-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Blame the mother-ship ESPN for that one (part of the "Soccer Sunday" package they have)

Cas87
02-09-2017, 05:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4PjBz-UkAAX43f.jpg

7 games on CTV http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/09/canadian-national-broadcast-schedule-2017-revealed-ctv-air-7-games

I can now plan my summer

https://frinkiac.com/gif/S04E17/1281462/1286134.gif?b64lines=

paul-collins
02-10-2017, 09:29 AM

May 13 game is at 3.
Aug 12, 6pm
Sept 9, 5pm
Oct 15, 3pm

leafsman
02-10-2017, 12:04 PM
meant to say early afternoon games. I just think its stupid to schedule games at the hottest part of the day in July when it could potentially feel like 40 with the humidity.

paul-collins
02-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Fair enough. The 6pm Aug 12 game should be a similar problem... although the direct sun will be a little less of a problem.

Canada72
02-10-2017, 02:10 PM
3 Jays - TFC double header days
6/17 Jays 1pm - TFC 7:30pm
8/12 Jays 1pm - TFC 6pm
9/9 Jays 1pm - TFC 5pm

And TFC - Beerfest if you can handle it
7/30 TFC 2pm - Beerfest 4pm to 8pm