PDA

View Full Version : San Jose trades for Alvarez

Nuvinho
07-29-2008, 01:13 PM
San Jose acquires Arturo Alvarez from FC Dallas for a 2009 1st round draft pick and allocation money.

The 2009 draft pick was from Houston.

San Jose getting better and better each week.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_10030303?nclick_check=1

FC Dallas not selling Cooper yet, as per Ives.

NF-FC
07-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Why can't they tank it, i want a good draft pick!

Nuvinho
07-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Since the window opened San Jose lost Kamara, but brought in 3 attacking options in Lima, Huckerby, and now Alvarez

DigzTFC!
07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
It kind of makes you wonder about the players that are available within the MLS via trades. We have 3 first rounders which will amount to maybe one good player. I'd rather trade that and get a proven young commodity like Alvarez.

I've been saying for six months that we should go get Serioux and Dallas seems to be retooling most of the team these days. Love to see Marshall exit for Serioux straight up.

or trade Cunningham for Herculez Gomez or Omar Cummings.

hell, I'd trade Mo Edu and two 1st rounders for De Rosario.

invictusTFC
07-29-2008, 01:45 PM
It kind of makes you wonder about the players that are available within the MLS via trades. We have 3 first rounders which will amount to maybe one good player. I'd rather trade that and get a proven young commodity like Alvarez.

I've been saying for six months that we should go get Serioux and Dallas seems to be retooling most of the team these days. Love to see Marshall exit for Serioux straight up.

or trade Cunningham for Herculez Gomez or Omar Cummings.

hell, I'd trade Mo Edu and two 1st rounders for De Rosario.

What??? Proven MLS players!!! Are you insane? the future is with former EPL and Championship players past their prime... Didn't you get the memo?

DigzTFC!
07-29-2008, 02:02 PM
What??? Proven MLS players!!! Are you insane? the future is with former EPL and Championship players past their prime... Didn't you get the memo?

I did (hahaha), but I figured Ricketts has been the only one really worth the money.

While I like our ambition to get players with "names" from other leagues, I think this approach is very Leaf-esque. We're doing patch work right now. Dickov (possible), Robert, Tebily, Robinson...these guys are not a long term solution. With all of these guys leaving soon or within a year, it makes it hard to build a core improving towards a championship.

Good MLS teams scout young players and build through the draft. Instead we buy aged EPLers that strain our cap position. If you look at the salaries of each team you see the good teams have a lot of 100-200k salaries with very few 350ks.

Much as Edu has been aweful this year, he should be our starting DM to develop the core of the team more and Robinson should have returned to Wales to be with his wife.

Older players are stagnating development with mediocre results......does this sound familiar to anyone?

RealG-TFC
07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey Herculez Gomez, what happened to that guy? Still in Colorado?

DigzTFC!
07-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey Herculez Gomez, what happened to that guy? Still in Colorado?

He's in Colorado right now being played as a super sub behind McManus, Casey and Cummings. This guy was awesome with LA a few years ago and got hurt then got burried. I think his salary is 60K or something. Barret is also 60K if any one wonders.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/6_5_08_salary_info_club.pdf

Here's a list of players with realistic trading partners:

Colin Clark (30K LM Colorado)
Omar Cummings (30K F Colorado)
Hercules Gomez (51K F Colorado)
Ugo Ihemelu (60K CB/RB Colorado)

Adrian Serioux (113K CB Dallas)

Dwayne De Rosario for most obvious of reasons

Jack Jewsbury (55K M/D KC)

I would of added Arturo Alvarez on this list but....see thread title

invictusTFC
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I did (hahaha), but I figured Ricketts has been the only one really worth the money.

While I like our ambition to get players with "names" from other leagues, I think this approach is very Leaf-esque. We're doing patch work right now. Dickov (possible), Robert, Tebily, Robinson...these guys are not a long term solution. With all of these guys leaving soon or within a year, it makes it hard to build a core improving towards a championship.

Good MLS teams scout young players and build through the draft. Instead we buy aged EPLers that strain our cap position. If you look at the salaries of each team you see the good teams have a lot of 100-200k salaries with very few 350ks.

Much as Edu has been aweful this year, he should be our starting DM to develop the core of the team more and Robinson should have returned to Wales to be with his wife.

Older players are stagnating development with mediocre results......does this sound familiar to anyone?

Can you please stop making sense... that shit doesn't fly on these boards. If you want to be realistic and reasonable go do it somewhere else!!! :p

TFC07
07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Ugo Ihemelu (60K CB/RB Colorado)

Adrian Serioux (113K CB Dallas)

Dwayne De Rosario (315K? M/F Houston)

I pick those 3 players up in a heartbeat.

Edu & 2 first round picks for DeRo
Marshall or Dunny for Adrian Serioux
Velez and/or some draft picks (or little bit allocation money) for Ugo Ihemelu

I believe all those players will count as domestic. (If Ihemelu didn't play that one game for USA, he'll be on CMNT right now.)

Brooker
07-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Edu & 2 first round picks for DeRo
Dunny for Adrian Serioux
Velez and/or some draft picks (or little bit allocation money) for Ugo Ihemelu

Mo, are you reading this? TRY IT!

Smenge
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Mo is busy looking at film reels from the 1983 FA cup for possible signings.

TFC07
07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Mo, are you reading this? TRY IT!

To be fair, I don't think Houston will trade DeRo unless DeRo forces them to do so. I think you can say the same about Ihemelu as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Where would DeRo play?
He and Guevara play the same position.
Sorry guys, youve been playing football manager too much.
Give it time, we will someday have an all canadian team, prob not for a while tho

jloome
07-29-2008, 08:55 PM
He played striker earlier in his career, but since his success at moving to the hole a few years ago has said he wants to stay there. But that doesn't mean the idea of lighting it up upfront for us wouldn't appeal to him.

Noonan's back in the league, we coudl try and trade for him, too.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
yeah, i spose, i think itd take something special to a) bring him home and b) get him to play as a striker (im not opposed to either, just dont realistcally see it)

Curious to see if we make a play for Noonan.
I always find it interesting that ill think a player is half decent (noonan, barrett) and will hear poor things from their supporters...
What does everyone else think of Noonan?

DigzTFC!
07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
He will cost a about 200-250K, whereas we could get a pure striker for the same money. I liked him as an option last year but I think we can do better for ourselves with regards to the cap. If we're willing to spend that kind of dough on Noonan, I'd rather take our chances and sign Gerba for the same amount....or invest it in a DP. I really think players in the league at 60K are a better deal like Cummings and Hercules Gomez. I think we have to realize that Noonan looked good on a great team....and so has every striker since. Adam Christman was like a 4rth round pick or something (not to take what he's accomplished away from him though)