PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a halftime show?

TFCFanMan
12-05-2016, 05:49 PM
The title may make it seem like I actually care to have one, but I'm actually asking because I personally think the MLS Cup should NOT have a half time show ala Super Bowl/Grey Cup. I can't really remember if there has been one every year as I tend to tune out and take my customary bathroom break at that point — the chili, wings and pizza make it necessary — but there have been some halftime show performances in years past (i.e. Jimmy Eat World, Switchfoot).

Does anyone know if they are planning one this year? I hope not.

sully
12-05-2016, 06:04 PM
More likely half time will be lining up for 25 mins to pee for a lot of people. If they could solve that, that would be great.

Discostu81
12-05-2016, 06:18 PM
More likely half time will be lining up for 25 mins to pee for a lot of people. If they could solve that, that would be great.

So the usual half-time show then?

FluSH
12-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks for clarifying the title lol

TFCFanMan
12-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Thanks for clarifying the title lol

Had this debate with a bunch of bandwagon fans today and all of them disagreed with me, so I thought it was necessary I did :o, though I can understand it draws a viewership that might not otherwise watch the game.

But please MLS/TFC, I don't want to see Nickelback, Avril Lavigne, Shania Twain or Celine Dion at the halftime...let's keep the spotlight on our beautiful game.

charlieocc
12-05-2016, 07:40 PM
I just wanna see some world fuckin class Timbits soccer

Redcoe15
12-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Had this debate with a bunch of bandwagon fans today and all of them disagreed with me, so I thought it was necessary I did :o, though I can understand it draws a viewership that might not otherwise watch the game.

But please MLS/TFC, I don't want to see Nickelback, Avril Lavigne, Shania Twain or Celine Dion at the halftime...let's keep the spotlight on our beautiful game.

NO FUCKIN' NICKLEBACK!!!!! :mad5:

Cuppy
12-05-2016, 07:59 PM
I just wanna see some world fuckin class Timbits soccer agreed

Globetrotter
12-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Likely a nice sprinkler show.

Red CB Toronto
12-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Who remembers this musical act minus the Kanye from the last time Toronto hosted the MLS Cup in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5vxw3eijY

Brooker
12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Estelle? Kanye West? Nonsense. MLS had Third Eye Blind play one Cup. I admit to marking out for that. :o

But really, fuck concerts at sporting events.

Canary10
12-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Think they'll be any fireworks?

paul-collins
12-05-2016, 09:07 PM
+1 on that

WestStandGeoff
12-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Who remembers this musical act minus the Kanye from the last time Toronto hosted the MLS Cup in 2010.

I think she was the halftime show when we hosted the All-Star game in 2008, not the MLS cup in 2010.

Derko
12-05-2016, 09:20 PM
I want Section 110 Row 24 to win the Pizza, I would like to meet Tony the Pizza Guy. And of course the Timits Soccer Cup Final

Suds
12-05-2016, 09:25 PM

Seriously.. I'd prefer MLS save the $$ from a half time show and rent a few hundred porta pottys :-)

molenshtain
12-05-2016, 09:30 PM

I only want the finest and fittest tots out there for a game of this magnitude. Game like this you gotta play your best players.

jeff.b
12-05-2016, 09:50 PM
but really, fuck concerts at sporting events.

amen +1

Cuppy
12-05-2016, 09:56 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5vxw3eijY
Matthew Good Band played a full set prior to kick off at MLS CUP 2010

Brooker
12-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Matthew Good Band played a full set prior to kick off at MLS CUP 2010

Real music.... that's odd.

MartinUtd
12-05-2016, 10:43 PM
I really enjoyed hearing Skratch Bastid while waiting in line for beer a few weeks back.

Ponderosa
12-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Bring back the Ukrainian dancers!

Discostu81
12-05-2016, 11:07 PM
I really enjoyed hearing Skratch Bastid while waiting in line for beer a few weeks back.

I really enjoyed him!

Red CB Toronto
12-05-2016, 11:22 PM
I think she was the halftime show when we hosted the All-Star game in 2008, not the MLS cup in 2010.

Ok that tells me how much I cared about it, it was such a blur LOL

Hamilton_Red
12-05-2016, 11:46 PM
How about the Akells? Or Deadmau5? Or Metric? A decent local act!

OgtheDim
12-06-2016, 06:43 AM
How about we don't do anything on an already going to be frozen pitch?

Fort York Redcoat
12-06-2016, 08:35 AM
I'd watch Avril and Nickelback fight in the BMO dumpster over their splitting up. That would be worth the walk to the North end.

But please - no musical accompaniment to the tussle.

ronzilla
12-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Drake, Lady Gaga and Rolling Stones will be performing at half time.

Auzzy
12-06-2016, 09:04 AM

Well that's just what you need to sell out a game these days in Toronto, what with all the event fatigue and such.

Oldtimer
12-06-2016, 09:08 AM

LOL. Let's see if they have anyone.

Pinkie
12-06-2016, 09:09 AM

Literally the only acceptable half-time show. None of that bubble soccer or stupid games with spectators or ice-cream giveaway (on that note, TFC why are you giving away ice-cream on the last day of November?).

Cas87
12-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Literally the only acceptable half-time show. None of that bubble soccer or stupid games with spectators or ice-cream giveaway (on that note, TFC why are you giving away ice-cream on the last day of November?).

Leftovers. Probably its ice cream that has been in the building since July.
I just love how BMO has run out of draught and its pretty much all tallboys now.

Still Kicking
12-06-2016, 09:26 AM
How about a game of TFC fans vs MLS Cup musical chairs? Boffo half time entertainment.
I was hoping that they would bring out a dozen ssh since year one and put them at one end of the pitch.
Then at the other end, in dazzling spotlights, a dozen seats with a banner above them "Your seats since the dawn of TFC".
Then off the loyal fans trot, towards their seats, but they have to dodge Ticketmaster drones, descending MLSE paratroopers, StubHub goons, an actual bandwagon of folks attending their first game and rabid Timbits players. All the while MLS is putting sponsors into the seats, so even if the dozen ssh manage to scamper through the obstacle course, all seats are occupied.
Then to give them comfort, alumni the likes of Dichio and Brennan can help them limp off and a slice of pizza will be offered to a weak round of applause.
Of course, no TFC email will follow either explaining or apologizing...

Still Kicking
12-06-2016, 09:27 AM
...makes a Nickelback and Celine Dion duet seem mild in comparison eh?

grizzle
12-06-2016, 09:39 AM
What is the odds on Kardinal Offishal making an appearance at some point? He seems to be at everything MLSE related.

Ponderosa
12-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Leftovers. Probably its ice cream that has been in the building since July.
I just love how BMO has run out of draught and its pretty much all tallboys now.

We were told it was cans only because it's winter :facepalm:

Soccer Mum
12-06-2016, 09:52 AM
We need Drake right behind the player's bench. I know he tries to rally the team up, but mostly looks like he's crying.

cmonyoureds
12-06-2016, 10:01 AM
How about a game of TFC fans vs MLS Cup musical chairs? Boffo half time entertainment.
I was hoping that they would bring out a dozen ssh since year one and put them at one end of the pitch.
Then at the other end, in dazzling spotlights, a dozen seats with a banner above them "Your seats since the dawn of TFC".
Then off the loyal fans trot, towards their seats, but they have to dodge Ticketmaster drones, descending MLSE paratroopers, StubHub goons, an actual bandwagon of folks attending their first game and rabid Timbits players. All the while MLS is putting sponsors into the seats, so even if the dozen ssh manage to scamper through the obstacle course, all seats are occupied.
Then to give them comfort, alumni the likes of Dichio and Brennan can help them limp off and a slice of pizza will be offered to a weak round of applause.
Of course, no TFC email will follow either explaining or apologizing...

Now THAT is awesome. Actually laughing out loud here...........

C.Ronaldo
12-06-2016, 10:05 AM

the extra portapotties behind the scafolding were a godsend after the game

Ponderosa
12-06-2016, 01:11 PM
tweet from MLSE Live the Arkells have been outfitted with TFC jerseys this morning...(sorry can't post twitter from work)

ou8jonesy
12-06-2016, 02:02 PM
They have a show in Buffalo that night and it's sold out. Takes them off the list.

james
12-07-2016, 03:34 AM
Have they done half time shows the last couple of years? I know they use to, I hope those days are done!

james
12-07-2016, 03:40 AM

dam band wagon jumpers.....this ain't no NFL, go away! Haha

Initial B
12-07-2016, 01:29 PM
I still say they should try for Drake and Rihanna. :)

Cashcleaner
12-07-2016, 03:31 PM
There's a bit of a history with One-Hit Wonders doing the Half-Time Show, on top of more mainstream artists. Jimmy Eat World back in 2007 is probably the best example of that, or maybe Switchfoot (seriously, I can give you ONE fucking song of theirs). But Christina Aguillera performed once way back in 90s, so it hasn't been all no-names*.

Personally, I'd like to see a Canadian group or artist. No real preference, just home-grown would be nice. USS would be cool seeing as how their songs have been played at BMO Field during the pre-game. Drake would make sense too. That said, I saw Lenny Kravitz do the Grey Cup Half-Time back in 2007 and it was awesome as fuck.

* Disclaimer - Just because you listen to a band, at least realise that the vast majority of us have no fucking clue who they are anymore.

Red CB Toronto
12-07-2016, 03:35 PM
There's a bit of a history with One-Hit Wonders doing the Half-Time Show, on top of more mainstream artists. Jimmy Eat World back in 2007 is probably the best example of that, or maybe Switchfoot (seriously, I can give you ONE fucking song of theirs). But Christina Aguillera performed once way back in 90s, so it hasn't been all no-names*. Personally, I'd like to see a Canadian group or artist. No real preference, just home-grown would be nice. USS would be cool seeing as how their songs have been played at BMO Field during the pre-game. That said, I saw Lenny Kravitz do the Grey Cup Half-Time back in 2007 and it was awesome as fuck.

* Disclaimer - Just because you listen to a band, at least realise that the vast majority of us have no fucking clue who they are anymore.

Third Eye Blind headlined it once too way back when.

Who could ever forget Semi-Charmed Life. ( :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjTrwOMSO4

stevieeatworld
12-07-2016, 07:09 PM
There's a bit of a history with One-Hit Wonders doing the Half-Time Show, on top of more mainstream artists. Jimmy Eat World back in 2007 is probably the best example of that, or maybe Switchfoot (seriously, I can give you ONE fucking song of theirs). But Christina Aguillera performed once way back in 90s, so it hasn't been all no-names*.

Regardless of the disclaimer, i'm still offended by this. ;p

brad
12-07-2016, 07:27 PM
I want the Seattle Fight and Win dude for the halftime show.

Initial B
12-07-2016, 10:56 PM
How about Walk off the Earth?

ExiledRed
12-07-2016, 11:07 PM
I want a hot, uber famous singer in controversial attire, a wardrobe malfunction and an offensive gesture.

This will validate MLS

CBTFC
12-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Ricky J & B4-4

Cas87
12-08-2016, 06:46 AM
^^
in that vein we need to get Snow to play then

cmonyoureds
12-08-2016, 09:30 AM
I think Tribal Rhythm Nation should be brought back to drum continuously the entire half time. :drunk:

:hide:

flatpicker
12-08-2016, 09:37 AM
I think Tribal Rhythm Nation should be brought back to drum continuously the entire half time. :drunk:

:hide:

I don't think they ever left.
From my seats in 114, there was no mistaking that drumming sound.

denime
12-08-2016, 09:39 AM
I want a hot, uber famous singer in controversial attire, a wardrobe malfunction and an offensive gesture.

This will validate MLS

This 100%

Auzzy
12-08-2016, 10:24 AM
How about Walk off the Earth?

That would actually be awesome.

billyfly
12-08-2016, 10:46 AM

This will validate MLS

Let's have a round of S*x Bingo.

(inside joke don't ask)

Bobo
12-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I want Section 110 Row 24 to win the Pizza, I would like to meet Tony the Pizza Guy. And of course the Timits Soccer Cup Final

Not the same since he ditched the stache. Although dropping it on the pizza box was never a good look, nor was it particularly appetizing.

Soccer Mum
12-08-2016, 11:21 AM
I wonder how much Esquire extra-time will be added on and also if they will deliver the match ball on time.

SilverSamurai
12-09-2016, 08:27 PM
I'll be pissed if it's not timbits soccer! :hulk::banghead: