PDA

View Full Version : Jason DeVos SUCKS!

akpatel47
07-29-2008, 07:05 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to get mad every time I watch a match on CBC. Jason DeVos pisses me off so much. I find he doesn't have the knowledge that Craig Forrest has, and he just rambles on and on about the same thing.
I know Forrest has an exclusive Sportsnet deal...but PLEASE come back to CBC!!

djking2
07-29-2008, 07:12 AM
I get mad when I watch TFC on CBC lately too. Never thought of blaming DeVos though

LucaGol
07-29-2008, 07:39 AM
DeVos seems pretty knowledgeable...but he just doesn't have the same energy that Craig Forrest did.

I dont think its so much that Devos is not a good colour analyst...I think it was that Forrest was a great colour analyst. He used to really immerse himself into the games...no matter how big or small.

It makes a huge difference when the announcers are committed to every play...even if you're playing on a college football field with only a handful of people in the crowd.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I wasn't watching when Craig Forrest had his first year on tv so I'll not compare the two. Devos sounds knowledgable enough but energy may come with comfort in the booth. I think he has a solid base to build from.

Carts
07-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Don't be too harsh on Devos or Nigel from last night's broadcast...

The boys were obviously calling the game off a monitor in Toronto (as Devos appeared in studio during the pre-game) which makes it impossible to analyze the play because all you see is the direct play in the monitor...

A good analyst will watch away from the ball, so he can tell you "why" something happened, not "what"... Obviously watching from a monitor in a stduio makes that impossible...

Also, with the problems CBC had with their feed (from 4x3, to animorphic, to 16x9, back to 4x3, to a stretched 4x3) I'm sure the guys were scratching their heads trying to call the game watching that...

That being said, I am a huge fan of Craig Forrest and have missed him from the broadcasts this season...

Carts...

Canadian Blue
07-29-2008, 08:15 AM
so our team sucks and you choose to blame the commentators?

Can anyone say displaced anger????

RPB_Brantford_08
07-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I get mad when I watch TFC on CBC lately too. Never thought of blaming DeVos though

CBC is a crap network for sports anyways,they just don';t have the experience to do any sports, the butcher the olympics every time they
get a chance, tfc games the same thing, NHIC...remember the trouble Dave Hodge got a few years back for critizing CBC on air for leaving a playoff game early for the news? CBC = mickey mouse broadcasting at its best. deVos is just learning the trade, give him tim he should do fine, No he;s no Forrest, but could be as good down the line.

maninb
07-29-2008, 08:18 AM
IMO DeVos is far superior to Forrest..he knows far more about the game, while Forrest is always hung up about the goalkeeping..Another problem with Forrest is he's always bragging about how he played with all 'the greats' or his 'former Premiership' team-mates, when in fact most of the teams he played with in England were CRAP!!!

RPB_Brantford_08
07-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Don't be too harsh on Devos or Nigel from last night's broadcast...

The boys were obviously calling the game off a monitor in Toronto (as Devos appeared in studio during the pre-game) which makes it impossible to analyze the play because all you see is the direct play in the monitor...

A good analyst will watch away from the ball, so he can tell you "why" something happened, not "what"... Obviously watching from a monitor in a stduio makes that impossible...

Also, with the problems CBC had with their feed (from 4x3, to animorphic, to 16x9, back to 4x3, to a stretched 4x3) I'm sure the guys were scratching their heads trying to call the game watching that...

That being said, I am a huge fan of Craig Forrest and have missed him from the broadcasts this season...

Carts...

Was CBC too cheap to send a crew out there? FFS:mad:

Carts
07-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Was CBC too cheap to send a crew out there? FFS:mad:

With a broadcast only going to bold & cbc.ca they would send a skeleton crew at best...

Mitch Peacock is on the sidelines to give the broadcast a 'presence' at the stadium - but otherwise it is a skeleton crew...

Carts...

olegunnar
07-29-2008, 08:40 AM
I get the sense that it was too quick a transition from the field to the booth for Devos.
Forrest had years on Soccer Central etc. to re-familiarize himself with the game, learn some intricacies about the other positions and the game as a whole.
Devos sounds like a centre half all the time still...so focused on one position and not seeming to be able to offer interesting insights about the other positions.

Plus his hard on for Sutton and the Impact is really annoying.

Stencils
07-29-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty pleased that I have the opportunity to watch a north american soccer game coming from Salt Lake on live national television.

This is year 2, guys. Jeez. It'll get better.

kitchener-TFC
07-29-2008, 08:49 AM
I get made when I watch TFC, period!:mad:

greatwhitenorf
07-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Don't think the title of this thread is appropriate. Kinda chucking the guy down the well a little soon, dont you think?

I like De Vos. I think he has it in him to be a good commentator. Forrest has always had a tendency to shade his comments toward not offending anyone, even when criticism was deserved. Pretty bland most of the time.

If De Vos learns to comment the way he played - and he was a bit of a bastard out there - then we'll here some good commentary down the road.

Pyeddo
07-29-2008, 09:18 AM
I love the "oh, it looks like someone scored" announcing.... no excitement in the least... dude sounds like a soccer mom "oh hey, look, someone kicked the ball that way!".... BRUTAL

Troll
07-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Some of you guys will complain about anything. Whiney bitches.

Pyeddo
07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Sorry if I expect the announcers to actually be paying attention and interested in their jobs... my bad

GrimsbyTown
07-29-2008, 09:21 AM

:iagree:

tempo
07-29-2008, 09:25 AM
I am not a fan of Jason deVos. He talks WAY TOO MUCH - and tends to ramble on when big plays are building and even occurring. I like Nigel Reed though - but am not a fan of Mitch Peacock and those sideline updates in the middle of the game talking about how hot the field is. During the all-star game Mitch was yapping over 2 goals and last night I felt like strangling Jason when Rickets skinned those players in the corner and perfectly crossed it over to Robert.

Needless to say I think CBC overall does a good job (not perfect) and better than the other 2 canadian broadcasters. And leap years in front some of the american broadcasters.
People also have to be realistic when it comes to how much they can spend and what can be done. I think a lot of people have no clue what is involved and how much it costs (I do get annoyed with the basic CBC is crap comments)..and keep in mind that TFC does not get good ratings. But needless to say I think they should get rid of Jason or at least tell him to shut up sometimes.

Troll
07-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Sorry if I expect the announcers to actually be paying attention and interested in their jobs... my bad

$5 says you're supposed to be working right now.

Pyeddo
07-29-2008, 09:30 AM
10$ says i'm being paid to bitch about the announcers

Troll
07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
$15 says nobody you work with likes you very much.

Pyeddo
07-29-2008, 09:33 AM
20$ says they like me as much as I liked last night's performance on the pitch

and now i'm broke :(

JDG
07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
So many haters in out midst!

Flipityflu
07-29-2008, 09:48 AM

yep, i prefer to chew my own foot off than come here after a loss to see what unrelated matter is taking the brunt for peoples anger.

ilikemusic
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Ya that stuff was really annoying. Around 18 mins or so it switched and shrunk the picture even more. I was watching on an HDTV and when you factor in the black bars on the sides that are always there for an SD program, and then the extra two black bars on the sides the actual picture was maybe taking up 50% of my screen. :(

Rawkus_420
07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
hes just annoying, they should only talk about what is going on on the pitch at that moment in time, not wait to get a word in about a play that happened a few mins ago..the european commentators got it right....the north american commntators are just plain shitty. Save the talk about whats going on outside pitch for half time and pre and post game reports.

Flipityflu
07-29-2008, 10:46 AM
hes just annoying, they should only talk about what is going on on the pitch at that moment in time, not wait to get a word in about a play that happened a few mins ago..the european commentators got it right....the north american commntators are just plain shitty. Save the talk about whats going on outside pitch for half time and pre and post game reports.

there's a pretty good reason for this...most North American sports have no steady flow. its stop start for the entire game. this breeds a different type of commentating that doesn't suit football, and it shows.

Torcida
07-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I actually fell asleep after RSL went ahead for the second time but that's more because I hadn't got much sleep in the last 35 hours. But still that shows how exciting this duo is.

Kooper
07-29-2008, 11:01 AM
The CBC is trying to develop an TV following. It will take time to develop the camera people, presenters and audience. Give it time.

jloome
07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I actually find Devos really good. He actually knows what's going on on the pitch, when people are out of position, when the team isn't playing well, and he fucking calls them on it.

Geez, I've read some delusional shit on this board before, but this one takes the cake.

Flipityflu
07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I actually find Devos really good. He actually knows what's going on on the pitch, when people are out of position, when the team isn't playing well, and he fucking calls them on it.

Geez, I've read some delusional shit on this board before, but this one takes the cake.

after loss grumpies.

poppamidnight
07-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Totally agree....
this "AKPatel47" threadstarter dude must be having one funky acid-trip or something right now....

if anything Craig Forrest is Shiiite....
Forrest is too goddam buddy-buddy with the Canadian TFC'ers and doesnt call em out on any plays they are at fault for....

Hell Brennan can blow his deffensive assignment, lose his man... And forrest will turn around and say "look here marvel wynne was out of position banking on his speed to get back, causing the back line to be in a panic"....

thats how pathetic Forrest is on broadcasts, and i was sick of it...

I am seeing it as a breath of fresh air for my TFC CBC watching

bhoybobby
07-29-2008, 12:15 PM
[quote=akpatel47;110850]I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to get mad every time I watch a match on CBC. Jason DeVos pisses me off so much. I find he doesn't have the knowledge that Craig Forrest has, and he just rambles on and on about the same thing.
I know Forrest has an exclusive Sportsnet deal...but PLEASE come back to CBC!![/quote

DeVos was calling it like it was, we're shite, you want homer calls, watch a Buffalo stn.

TFC which I love, is crap right now, no excuses for it, we all new about lack of quality depth in the off season, it wasn't addressed, we're gonna pay the price & possibly miss the play-offs, for no good reason.

Dirk Diggler
07-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm pissed at DeVos because he's up in the commentary booth when he could easily be an asset with the actual team on the pitch!

sidney
07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Devos sounds knowledgable enough but energy may come with comfort in the booth. I think he has a solid base to build from.

yah but he and nigel are chicken...they're both afraid to criticise when everyone in the world knows criticism is justified. For example, yesterday Jason said "We know he's (Carver's) had a lot to say about Cunningham" but he just left it at that. Why not state what he did indeed say (about the 99 goals etc...)? Is he afraid to offend? He should have finished the thought. If not then get the-f-out!

Leafs 92/93
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
no, devos does indeed suck, and is so anti-toronto it hurts. he really only gives props to his former national teammates. get over yourself. bring back craiggers. and for that matter, bring back craig kilbourn.

noochie
07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
DeVos = just another talking head. CBC should get "bold" and scrap the color man.

tempo
07-29-2008, 07:20 PM

Sorry, but i'm not a big hater and this thread is not delusional. I actually like CBC but Devos just talks too much. He might know stuff but he's got to learn that that we don't want the American take of soccer (at least I believe we don't). Cute mascots, stands filled with soccer moms, cheerleaders, team named after an animal and *commentators that ramble on over the flow of the game*, the last comment applies to Devos*. Listen to the english commentators during Euro, they don't even need 2 commentators and how often do you hear them talking about something else when a break is happening down the wing. I'd prefer to have just Nigel in the booth (and CBC could save some money too). Or if DeVos could learn to talk half as much and make his points 10 times quicker than I think he would be fine.

akpatel47
07-29-2008, 08:46 PM
[quote=akpatel47;110850]I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to get mad every time I watch a match on CBC. Jason DeVos pisses me off so much. I find he doesn't have the knowledge that Craig Forrest has, and he just rambles on and on about the same thing.
I know Forrest has an exclusive Sportsnet deal...but PLEASE come back to CBC!![/quote

DeVos was calling it like it was, we're shite, you want homer calls, watch a Buffalo stn.

TFC which I love, is crap right now, no excuses for it, we all new about lack of quality depth in the off season, it wasn't addressed, we're gonna pay the price & possibly miss the play-offs, for no good reason.

Seriously?? If you actually read my post, it wasn't only game on CBC that has made me mad, it has been quite a few this season. I unlike the majority of the people on this board don't have season tickets and CBC does mainly play home games. So I probably would have heard more of DeVos than the majority and it is my opinion he sucks. He just rambles and doesn't know when to shutup. It wasn't only last night, it's been going on all season. He's lucky that during the Kansas City game we had at home earlier this season Bob Lennarduzzi was doing and he was just even worse. But nonetheless, I'm just saying I prefer Forrest.

zeelaw
07-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Everytime he says something is onside, it most surely is offside.

Keegan
07-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Are you just made at De Vos because he can actually defend unlike our team?

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah, he was a long-serving (and therefore long-suffering) member of the Canadian national team and is one of our country's best-ever players, but because he hasn't got it quite right in the first couple months of his first commentating gig, let's all hate on him.

:rolleyes:

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2008, 06:52 AM
I'm glad to see so many are willing to give him achance and find his feet in the commentary box.

Daveisonfire
07-30-2008, 07:44 AM
What a pointless thread..

poppamidnight
07-30-2008, 07:47 AM
F***,
How many of you went to Jimmy B's Wedding????

I didnt know there was that many in that "Canadian TFC Players should never be badmouthed when their at fault" pool...

Did Craig Forrest send you????
How much is he paying you?!?!?!

C'mon guys, it needs to be called as it is, even if you dont like it...
Hence, DeVos>>>Forrest

jonnymo02
07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm glad Forrest is gone. He thought everything and everyone was "world class".

bartzago
07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
So many haters in out midst!

LOL :)

GBV
07-31-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm glad Forrest is gone. He thought everything and everyone was "world class".

except the refereeing. haha.

devos strikes me as decidedly anti-toronto fc. and it sounds personal. criticism is one thing, yes, but he sounds like a scorned spouse. and in turn, kinda pathetic. it came through especially in the cup games.

* note: and no, i don't typically whine about any anti-toronto fc sentiment, perceived or misperceived.

i'd take forrest over him any and every day.

Fort York Redcoat
07-31-2008, 07:54 AM
I thought he was totally transparent withthe fans during the cup match in that he stated he was torn when Saputo was in the booth with him. He knows he's representing TFC's voice but has a past playing for the Impact.

Roogsy
07-31-2008, 07:59 AM
I respect everything DeVos has done in his career, in particular representing Canada.

But he isn't really impressing me in covering TFC games. I do miss Forrest who at least showed some enthusiasm for them even if I didn't always agree with him.