PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Jul.29

denime
07-29-2008, 06:07 AM
TFC road show flops again
Salt Lake scores winner in 87th minute to send Toronto to fifth straight loss away from home

SALT LAKE CITY–Robbie Findley scored on a sliding strike in the 87th minute and Real Salt Lake escaped with a 2-1 victory over Toronto FC after a wild finish last night.
RSL (7-6-6) is unbeaten in 11 home games this season and sits in first place in the MLS Western Conference.
Defender Jamison Olave scored the first goal of his MLS career for RSL in the 63rd minute, bouncing a header past goalkeeper Greg Sutton at the near post.
But Toronto midfielder Amado Guevara tied the game on a free kick from about 28 yards out in the 84th minute, putting TFC (6-7-4) in position to snap a four-game road losing streak. It didn't happen.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/468949)

Defensive lapse proves costly

SALT LAKE CITY — Robbie Findley scored on a sliding strike in the 87th minute and Real Salt Lake escaped with a 2-1 victory over Toronto FC after a wild finish on Monday night. RSL (7-6-6) is unbeaten in 11 home games this season and sits in first place in the MLS Western Conference heading into a team-record, 18-day layoff.
Defender Jamison Olave scored the first goal of his MLS career for RSL in the 63rd minute, bouncing a header past goalkeeper Greg Sutton at the near post. But Toronto midfielder Amado Guevara tied the game on a free kick from about 28 yards out in the 84th minute, putting the Reds (6-7-4) in position to snap a four-game road losing streak.
It didn't happen.
Findley raced to catch up with the rebound of teammate Kyle Beckerman's shot in the middle of the area, poking the winner past Sutton to stretch Toronto's overall winless streak to five games.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080728.wsptfc28/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Findley lifts Real Salt Lake over Toronto FC

Make it six weeks and counting between wins for Toronto FC.
Robbie Findley scored in the 87th minute as Real Salt Lake prevailed 2-1 over visiting Toronto FC at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Monday night.
Toronto has not tasted victory since clipping the Colorado Rapids 3-1 on June 14, with its stagnant offence mustering just three goals in five games (0-3-2).
"We know we have a good team," TFC goalkeeper Greg Sutton told CBC Sports. "We just have to put it together for 90 minutes."
Defender Jamison Olave broke the scoreless stalemate in the 63rd minute, slipping behind the defence and bouncing a header off the turf and behind Sutton for his first MLS goal.
Amado Guevara tied it 1-1 for Toronto on a free kick in the 84th minute, blasting a shot beyond the reach of a diving Nick Rimando and inside the right post.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/28/mls-torontofc-realsaltlake.html)

It's time for TFC to sign a star
By GARETH WHEELER

Welcome to Toronto, Chad Barrett.
The 23-year old striker was the eventual acceptable ransom for TFC, ending the protracted Brian McBride trade saga. The former Fulham talisman, McBride got his wish to play in Chicago, giving the Fire (pardon the pun) some serious fire power once he returns from Olympic duty.
As for Barrett, his inclusion in the deal reeked of apparent desperation by Toronto FC. Barrett's name hadn't emerged in any trade rumours, with TFC reportedly more interested in striker Chris Rolfe and/or talented midfielder Justin Mapp.
But Mo Johnston had little choice other than to make a move. Pressure from the commissioner's office, a manager calling out his own players, an impatient fan base, and frustration amongst players themselves forced Mo's hand.
Barrett is no slouch. He led the Fire with seven goals in 2007 and has led them in scoring with five thus far in 2008. But Barrett was a constant scapegoat for Chicago's offensive struggles as he, much like a current TFC player, fell into the bad habit of missing easy chances.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/29/6295616-sun.html)

Reds fall short
By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Toronto FC coach John Carver was forced to start three pure rookies in last night's Major League Soccer match against Real Salt Lake in the Utah capital city.
The result was a 2-1 loss to the best team in the MLS West and it stretched Toronto's league winless streak to five games and their road record to 1-7.
Last night's result, however, could have just as easily been 5-1 without the play of TFC goaltender Greg Sutton, who faced 20 shots, nine of them on the net.
On Salt Lake's first goal in the 63rd minute, Sutton was left defenceless after Jamison Olave eluded TFC defenders inside the penalty area to put a header in the far right corner.
And the game-winner in the 87th minute came when first-round draft pick Julius James allowed Salt Lake's Robbie Findley to get a clear shot on goal.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/29/6295626-sun.html)

Old demons once again doom Reds
Shortcomings along backline, inconsistent attack result in road loss

SALT LAKE CITY -- The same shortcomings continue to doom Toronto FC, who have yet to earn a clean sheet while playing outside the comfort of BMO Field, and even the similar artificial surface of Rice-Eccles Stadium couldn't change that. When looking for an explanation, TFC head coach John Carver said that his team continually suffers from the same mistakes, and he told his players following the 2-1 loss to Real Salt Lake that he's starting to feel like a recording, saying the same thing after each match.
So, rather than dictate only his thoughts, Carver opened the floor to his players for a two-way discussion on what needed to be done to set Toronto FC on a successful course. Their private conversation lasted for several minutes following the match, more than twice the normal time that teams hold post-match talks.

Read more (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080729&content_id=176413&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

CoachGT
07-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks demine. I'm getting tired of these results and the same press after every game. We need a new storyline, one that involves winning.

Oldtimer
07-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Gareth Wheeler's article hits the nail on the head.
It's time for MLSE to open the pocket-book, or our season is lost.

TicTacTabarnack
07-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks demine. I'm getting tired of these results and the same press after every game. We need a new storyline, one that involves winning.

It's ok Carver ... There's no need for you to get your panties in a knot or to host a post-game presser ... we'll just write the same "losing on the road" article as we always do.

TicTacTabarnack
07-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Gareth Wheeler's article hits the nail on the head.
It's time for MLSE to open the pocket-book, or our season is lost.

I agree ... We need to be careful with the following though:

But Barrett was a constant scapegoat for Chicago's offensive struggles as he, much like a current TFC player, fell into the bad habit of missing easy chances.

Cunny Version 2.0? I hope not ... Hopefully he lights it up for us. He's already got 5 goals and 4 assists this season compared to Cunny's 3 goals and 0 assists.

Pigfynn
07-29-2008, 09:25 AM
I, for one believe it's a little pay back.

From Soccer America:

"Conspiracy theorists will wonder if the Fire has simply dragged its feet so as to prevent Barrett from playing for TFC as long as possible in retaliation for the impasse that has left McBride marooned. One source said the hang-up may be unresolved issues between McBride and Chicago management, though the two sides are believed to have reached agreement regarding salary and length of contract, and that MLS has approved those terms of the deal."

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=PublicationsHome.showHomePage

Technorgasm
07-29-2008, 09:34 AM
"If MLSEL wants to dispel any notion that they aren't committed to winning, they will step up and demand that the team signs a designated player. After all, this is an company that will pay Jeff Finger $3.5 million a year on the hockey side. God forbid they spend half that on a soccer player! This kind of move has to be done now if the club expects to compete for a playoff spot"

Parkdale
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
comparing the spending that goes into the Leafs and into TFC makes me sad.

Flipityflu
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM

or that Liverpools transfer of Robbie Keane would have paid for our entire team for 16 years.

CoachGT
07-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Regardless of that, recognize that MLSE's position on the DP has remained unchanged (at least publicly). They are not averse to spending, but they don't want to spend on a player who will take them to the middle of the table. They believe (as I do) that what we have already should get us to the middle of the table.

The DP should take us to the next level, moving us from competitive to dominating and nothing less!

I'd prefer to see money spent on developing a top notch academy and scouting staff to position us for years to come.

If we can get someone who will have an immediate impact to take us to the top of the table, go for it! But right now I'm not sure that we are one player away, even if the player was Christiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Robiero, Ronaldinho or Pele in his prime!

Flipityflu
07-29-2008, 12:53 PM
i think that MLSE are more than willing to spend dosh on a DP. what it comes down to is whether DP quality wants to play here. i have my doubts on that simply due to the pitch, perception or otherwise.

what makes this really difficult is not knowing what team you have. are we April/May, or are we July?

Toronto_Bhoy
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
"I don't really want to talk about what goes on in the dressing room, but it's like everything else," said Carver. "If you keep making the same mistakes, I start sounding like a recording. We're all making the same mistakes, and I'm seeing the same things. So, I'm asking for some feedback from the guys and what they're thinking. And, again, that remains private. You have to respect that. But, it was an open discussion and it was quite positive and the good thing is everybody respected each other's opinions."

Is John Carver bipolar or something?

"I feel for the guys who have given, again, maximum effort," he said. "The one thing I've got to start considering now is -- and I've never, ever doubted the effort and energy that they've given the team."

Is this the same John Carver who ripped Cunny and Jimmy B new assholes last week and now it's all about respect?

jwfm1985
07-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Is John Carver bipolar or something?

Is this the same John Carver who ripped Cunny and Jimmy B new assholes last week and now it's all about respect?

I dont know about that, I would hardly say he "ripped brennan a new asshole", all he said was "poor marking by jimmy b"

Derko
07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I think Carver was referring Wynne, in that press conference. the guy who is going to the Olympics

rocker
07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
has Carver ever ripped somebody for effort tho? i'm trying to think.......

when he ripped Cunny about the 99 goals it was about lack of ability, not effort. hahah

CoachGT
07-29-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that Carver hasn't ripped anyone publicly that hasn't been done (probably in terms a little more harsh) inside the dressing room.

Brooker
07-30-2008, 01:26 AM
or that Liverpools transfer of Robbie Keane would have paid for our entire team for 16 years.

:cuss: :banghead: :ack2:

Cashcleaner
07-30-2008, 02:06 AM

It should. It really should. Especially when you take a look at the amount of coin TFC fans have spent over our two season on merchandise, game tickets, and other products and services. MLSE has hit the jackpot with Toronto FC. The ratio of incoming monies to cost is unbelievable. Simply put, they've made a fotune by spending very, very little money.

And no, I don't believe MLSE is really all that interested in spending money on a DP unless they absolutely have to. Of course, they're never gonna say it, but we're not gonna see a high-profile signing in Toronto unless the fans really do something about it.