PDA

View Full Version : Question: About December 10th...

Shway
11-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Suppppper curious to know if TFC wins the rights to host the final, considering the date/weather (or maybe it doesn't matter to you) would you want the final at BMO 35K+ or at Skydome 50K+?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dCNgN2mlobM/T1mEbP5FgdI/AAAAAAAADRs/YLaWdsF5C7s/s1600/top.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq50O0GXEAA5KcO.jpg

Rumar
11-11-2016, 05:29 PM
As much as I enjoyed the CCL game against the Galaxy back in 2012, Skydome just doesn't feel like home. That and I'm sure no one will appreciate the Turf.

I'd prefer BMO, but I'll follow wherever the club goes.

OgtheDim
11-11-2016, 05:31 PM
BMO is home

Skydome is memories

backbeat
11-11-2016, 05:33 PM
i'm 100% BMO

However, i do understand the Skydome option/thought

i just hate the atmosphere there but it would certainly expand the exposure to a broader community in that the venue is better known and the numbers they could draw combined with a much greater media attention

Primavera
11-11-2016, 05:43 PM
BMO.

Now that the Dome infield is grass and the outfield turf, is the Dome even an option?

Ponderosa
11-11-2016, 05:51 PM
IMHO BMO is home, our fortress...but home is also wherever our boys are. If BMO is the option only because of a sensitivity to current fans and supporters I wonder if we should think bigger, broader, and future focus? We have a solid base but there is no harm in using this as an opportunity to convert the masses of casual fans.

Auzzy
11-11-2016, 05:53 PM
BMO.

Now that the Dome infield is grass and the outfield turf, is the Dome even an option?

Grass? Do you mean the permanent dirt infield? But yeah, I wonder footy can still be played there.

jimiv
11-11-2016, 05:58 PM
if were playing Seattle wouldn't the turf give them the advantage?

charlieocc
11-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Another problem with the Dome is that the roof would have to be closed, which just doesn't sit right for me with soccer. BMO screams soccer.

Primavera
11-11-2016, 06:13 PM
That's what I mean.

Last Jays' off-season the turf/concrete infield was removed and grass was put down.

Neither the infield nor the outfield are large enough to fit a pitch within one of the areas.

Could be ways to deal with this, but I'd rather see any potential Dec match at BMO (as awesome as the Galaxy game was.)

Grass? Do you mean the permanent dirt infield? But yeah, I wonder footy can still be played there.

FluSH
11-11-2016, 07:23 PM
"We built the house on Lakeshore for the reds.... the reds..."

BMO without question

This wouldn't feel right winning at Skydome... it needs to be won at BMO

Laiping
11-11-2016, 08:11 PM
BMO Field! This our house! ❤️⚽️❤️

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Not even a conversation..

Abou Sky
11-11-2016, 10:07 PM
BMO, but everyone else thinks we're madmen.

Any time I meet a TFC fan, other than Supporters, they say 'oh, you are with the crazies'

Wagner
11-11-2016, 10:19 PM
That's what I mean.

Last Jays' off-season the turf/concrete infield was removed and grass was put down.

Neither the infield nor the outfield are large enough to fit a pitch within one of the areas.

Could be ways to deal with this, but I'd rather see any potential Dec match at BMO (as awesome as the Galaxy game was.)

There is no grass in the dome.
They are studying it. That's it.
They dug out some concrete for clay base paths.

rydermike
11-11-2016, 11:58 PM

There's no grass, they only added dirt. It's still all turf

SmokedPanda
11-12-2016, 01:13 AM
BMO, but everyone else thinks we're madmen.

Any time I meet a TFC fan, other than Supporters, they say 'oh, you are with the crazies'

Toronto winters are not that cold, BMO Field ftw!

mistercorporate
11-12-2016, 01:25 AM
B...M...O...!

denime
11-12-2016, 07:03 AM
F^*K, ROGERS CENTRE, BMO is OUR HOME

Redcoe15
11-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Wouldn't the temporary stands at BMO Field built for the Grey Cup and the Leafs outdoor game be available for a potential MLS Cup Final?

Primavera
11-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the correction (I hadn't realized that.)

Still, there is a difference in the surfaces that would need to be addressed (which was really my point.)

There's no grass, they only added dirt. It's still all turf

haroldp
11-12-2016, 09:21 AM
It is now being reported that BMO is sold out and TFC will start selling the 6,000 temporary seats added for the Grey Cup as well. That should give us approx 36,000 for the game.

Red CB Toronto
11-12-2016, 09:41 AM
It is now being reported that BMO is sold out and TFC will start selling the 6,000 temporary seats added for the Grey Cup as well. That should give us approx 36,000 for the game.

That is happening, expect to hear something next week. It means we will likely have over 95,000 combined at the two legs of the Eastern Conference Final here and in Montreal. Simply going to be epic.

DIEHARDTFC
11-12-2016, 11:09 AM
BMO is forever home...but I can't help but recall that match against LA at RC and remember how electric that atmosphere was. Given the leaps and bounds this franchise has taken since then, I can only imagine how insane a MLS cup final with this squad would be at a packed RC...

Red CB Toronto
11-12-2016, 12:16 PM
BMO is forever home...but I can't help but recall that match against LA at RC and remember how electric that atmosphere was. Given the leaps and bounds this franchise has taken since then, I can only imagine how insane a MLS cup final with this squad would be at a packed RC...

For sure, the Champions League match was one of my all time great TFC experiences. It was electric with that crowd, especially with all the effort was that was put into the south end. I just wonder with over 36,000 seats available for a tentative MLS Cup date would having about 10K or so more at the dome be worth it for MLSE/MLS when considering the added costs plus the limits on revenue. Now I am sure 1/3 of the ownership being Rogers would be quite happy to lease out the stadium.

OTDude82
11-12-2016, 12:29 PM
For sure, the Champions League match was one of my all time great TFC experiences. It was electric with that crowd, especially with all the effort was that was put into the south end. I just wonder with over 36,000 seats available for a tentative MLS Cup date would having about 10K or so more at the dome be worth it for MLSE/MLS when considering the added costs plus the limits on revenue. Now I am sure 1/3 of the ownership being Rogers would be quite happy to lease out the stadium.

Yes and add to that potential for an additional 4,000 or so seats in the north end for the 2017 Winter Classic. I presume MLSE could put a push on construction and have them ready for the 10th. That would push attendance to over 41,000. In the grand scheme of things, potentially a better atmosphere than 50,000 in that cavernous dome.

Fort York Redcoat
11-12-2016, 01:31 PM
So glad there is nobody that can make the decision feels like Skydome is even a possibility.

Skydome is not home.

SoccMan2
11-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Just imagine hosting the MLS Cup Final at BMO Field with 40 000 in attendance would be epic and considering it would be against Seattle if it happens would be even more of an event, given the great support Seattle gets in Seattle, it would be two markets that actually care about their teams playing in the final.

mistercorporate
11-12-2016, 05:23 PM
If they added several thousand more temp seats in the North End, it would be SO choice!! Imagine 43,000 seats filled plus standing room tickets sold, that would crush any Dome game in terms of optics and marketing! With our beautiful surface, passionate fans, competitive team and lively atmosphere, what an ad for Toronto FC games it would be!

Huyton
11-12-2016, 07:16 PM
"We built the house on Lakeshore for the reds.... the reds..."

BMO without question

This wouldn't feel right winning at Skydome... it needs to be won at BMO

Re-built, the House on Lakeshore for the Reds, the Reds...

Huyton
11-12-2016, 07:22 PM
I'm curious...do the Montreal fans feel the same way about Saputo Stadium? Are they annoyed about the blatant money-grab of moving the first leg to The Big Owe?

Initial B
11-12-2016, 08:41 PM
I think 36,000 in the home field will beat 47,000 in the Rogers Centre. Even from a fiscal standpoint, how much extra would it be to rent the dome and how much would be lost in concession profits from BMO?

Red CB Toronto
11-12-2016, 08:56 PM
I think 36,000 in the home field will beat 47,000 in the Rogers Centre. Even from a fiscal standpoint, how much extra would it be to rent the dome and how much would be lost in concession profits from BMO?

The big thing is they have full control of every revenue stream at BMO.

mistercorporate
11-12-2016, 11:56 PM

The SkyDome is actually not that expensive to rent for one evening. I believe it's around $100,000.

ensco
11-13-2016, 08:06 AM
It's really not a discussion. With the "winterization" of BMO for the Grey Cup and the hockey game, they have a "free lunch" on the cost side

It's only here if Seattle wins, and Seattle play on turf. It would be a major advantage for Seattle if this game were on turf.

sidvan
11-13-2016, 08:51 AM
What if the final were NYCFC v Seattle at Yankee Stadium. Would they be moving the game to NYRB or Giants stadium?

Has to be BMO - there has been a cup final there before.

Klinsmann
11-13-2016, 09:24 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7182/6965829927_4a2af271d9_o.jpg

ensco
11-13-2016, 09:47 AM
The real issue is if Colorado wins.

It can be zero fahrenheit in Denver in December, ie cold enough to cancel games if they were UEFA matches.

YYZ_Fan
11-13-2016, 10:23 AM
The real issue is if Colorado wins.

It can be zero fahrenheit in Denver in December, ie cold enough to cancel games if they were UEFA matches.

Toronto is colder than Denver in December. It's the higher altitude and chance of snow that would be the 2 bigger concerns.

ensco
11-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Toronto is colder than Denver in December. It's the higher altitude and chance of snow that would be the 2 bigger concerns.

Average temp isn't the issue.

Sat Dec 10 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/x-apple-data-detectors://1) in Toronto will be minus 4 or minus 8.

Sat Dec 10 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/x-apple-data-detectors://2) in Denver will be minus 17 or plus 17, or anything in between. It swings 75 degrees F in 24 hours 8 times a winter out there. They get way more extremes than we do.

Ivy
11-13-2016, 11:33 PM
I'm curious...do the Montreal fans feel the same way about Saputo Stadium? Are they annoyed about the blatant money-grab of moving the first leg to The Big Owe?
No. Montreal fans will cling onto anything that makes them feel like their club matters - and 60k tourists at the big O for 1 game does that.
I fully expect banter from their fans about how they're a bigger club cuz they got 60 and we only got 30.

OgtheDim
11-14-2016, 06:52 AM
No. Montreal fans will cling onto anything that makes them feel like their club matters - and 60k tourists at the big O for 1 game does that.
I fully expect banter from their fans about how they're a bigger club cuz they got 60 and we only got 30.

Already seen it on Larson's feed. That and the usual thing about the salary amount. There's quite a few Impact fans with a chip on their shoulder.

But, a lot of them are more level headed then this.

Red CB Toronto
11-14-2016, 08:14 AM

Its not Toronto fault that we don't have a 60K seat white elephant that gets dusted off every once and a while. Quite honestly if the Reds leg was at the dome it will be a sellout too with a crowd in the area of the champions league game vs. LA a few years back. Now with the temporary stands in the south end in place, having a crowd of over 36K will be pretty dam good.

SmokedPanda
11-14-2016, 10:55 AM
If Saputo charged MLSE prices at the bigO it wouldn't be sold out

mtl'ers are only going because it's so affordable for the tourists, 32$ gets you in the door for the semi finals of the mls cup

Red CB Toronto
11-14-2016, 11:09 AM

mtl'ers are only going because it's so affordable for the tourists, 32$ gets you in the door for the semi finals of the mls cup

The Reds Champions League match vs the Galaxy at the dome was much cheaper that that. The entire upper deck was $12. I got 8 tickets at midfield on the 200 level for $19. It was priced to sellout, giving it that big event buzz.

Canary10
11-14-2016, 11:31 AM
...but can they do it on a cold December night at BMO Field?....

Red CB Toronto
11-14-2016, 01:20 PM
...but can they do it on a cold December night at BMO Field?....
Yes BMO Field was completely winterized during the renovation.

Blindside16
11-15-2016, 01:10 AM
With the amount of money spent on the renovations anything short than volkswagon sized hail will not stop the game from being played at BMO. Plus as great as the dome is BMO is and always will be home.

backbeat
11-15-2016, 08:47 PM
Average temp isn't the issue.

Sat Dec 10 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/x-apple-data-detectors://1) in Toronto will be minus 4 or minus 8.

Sat Dec 10 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/x-apple-data-detectors://2) in Denver will be minus 17 or plus 17, or anything in between. It swings 75 degrees F in 24 hours 8 times a winter out there. They get way more extremes than we do.

not sure where you got minus 4 or minus 8 for Toronto as average temp but i got:

The month of December is characterized by falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs ranging from 4°C to 2°C over the course of the month, exceeding 8°C or dropping below -3°C only one day in ten.

backbeat
11-15-2016, 08:49 PM

and to me that's smart promotional business...

ensco
11-15-2016, 09:03 PM
not sure where you got minus 4 or minus 8 for Toronto as average temp but i got:

The month of December is characterized by falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs ranging from 4°C to 2°C over the course of the month, exceeding 8°C or dropping below -3°C only one day in ten.

Average isn't relevant, as I already posted.

Question is likely temperature at 8pm (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/x-apple-data-detectors://1) on Dec 10, with lake effect. I'm guessing minus 6, plus or minus

Canary10
11-16-2016, 10:34 AM

I think you missed that one.

Joe Kool
11-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Temperature might suck but don't want them to pull a Montreal and move to turf for the money. If the MLS Cup is in Toronto I want to see the game from my seat.

Ponderosa
11-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Temperature might suck but don't want them to pull a Montreal and move to turf for the money. If the MLS Cup is in Toronto I want to see the game from my seat.

2 issues or maybe non-issues:
if the temperature sucks for us (supporters) no biggie...but what might be the impact on the boys on the field? is this a concern?
how big an impact for our boys to play on turf vs. grass

Joe Kool
11-16-2016, 04:38 PM
2 issues or maybe non-issues:
if the temperature sucks for us (supporters) no biggie...but what might be the impact on the boys on the field? is this a concern?
how big an impact for our boys to play on turf vs. grass

I have no answers for either one really. I have never played soccer outside in December but these guys are pro athletes and the same conditions are for both teams so not sure it would be an issue or not. As far as the turf vs grass thing...all players I have ever heard speak on it prefer grass all the time over turf. Not sure if they would want to play on turf so they could play at a warmer temperature. Would be a question for them I guess that only they could answer.

gmacpheetfc
11-16-2016, 04:48 PM

Poor form.

barticusz
11-17-2016, 12:55 PM
BMO. No doubt. Should TFC look like they're going to advance as well as Seattle, I'm booking my flight from Edmonton.

GlenM
11-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Screw the Rogers Centre I want to see the game outside in our house BMO.

GlenM

Soccer Mum
11-17-2016, 01:50 PM
You guys are really very confident that Montreal is in the bag...

SmokedPanda
11-17-2016, 01:58 PM

most of us plan on attending mass at notre dame basilica in the old port of montreal and praying for Bradley and the squad before 8pm next tuesday..... we shall say a prayer of your behalf if you have no faith

denime
11-17-2016, 03:05 PM

Yes,and that Seattle will beat Colorado too.:D

Ponderosa
11-17-2016, 03:09 PM

well...why not another poll...if by some act of God Montreal kicks us to the curb and goes through...will you or will you not wear the bleu for the Cup Final?

Mateo1985
11-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Definitely not wearing Montreal blue ever. Was so happy when Club America beat them in the champions league

Soccer Mum
11-17-2016, 03:25 PM
well...why not another poll...if by some act of God Montreal kicks us to the curb and goes through...will you or will you not wear the bleu for the Cup Final?

This is ridiculous.

ryan
11-17-2016, 03:39 PM

I'd rather drink my own piss than support them.

DIEHARDTFC
11-17-2016, 07:17 PM

no..

Red CB Toronto
11-17-2016, 07:24 PM

Shoot me now, that will never happen for the life of me. Funny thing is I was going through my closest and found a KIA L'impact toque I guess I ended up with from the regular season finale last year LOL

backbeat
11-18-2016, 12:49 AM

NEVER

1. TFC is the first Canadian team to win the MLS cup

2. TFC is the first MLS team to win CONCACAF Champions League

Hamilton_Red
11-20-2016, 06:42 AM
That kind of talk might get you a timeout from the board! That's the worst kind of trolling.

BeachTory
11-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Ill try later to find a source but the changes to the Skydome infield also put the seats into baseball mode permanently. So soccer or cfl for that matter can not be played in Skydome anymore. Not an option.

That said, There were no changes on BMO field west side bathrooms and water systems, BMO is NOT winterized.

stegosaurus
11-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Shoot me now, that will never happen for the life of me. Funny thing is I was going through my closest and found a KIA L'impact toque I guess I ended up with from the regular season finale last year LOL

Got a few of these too. Is burning them considered good or bad juju?

Detroit_TFC
11-22-2016, 03:14 PM
Ill try later to find a source but the changes to the Skydome infield also put the seats into baseball mode permanently. So soccer or cfl for that matter can not be played in Skydome anymore. Not an option.

That said, There were no changes on BMO field west side bathrooms and water systems, BMO is NOT winterized.

What are they planning to do for the Heritage Classic? Port-potties?

Heepster
11-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Ill try later to find a source but the changes to the Skydome infield also put the seats into baseball mode permanently. So soccer or cfl for that matter can not be played in Skydome anymore...This article
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/rogers-centre-starts-work-on-all-dirt-infield-for-toronto-blue-jays/article28699919/
from earlier in the year when some of the concrete floor was broken up for the new dirt infield claimed that:
Rogers Centre will now permanently be in “baseball mode.”But if you look at Ticketmaster for the list of upcoming events, there are Supercross and Monster Truck shows with seats apparently in the former football/soccer configuration, so maybe the seats can still be moved after all?
Regardless of whether or not the seats can still be moved, I don't think anyone has any intention of using Rogers Centre for soccer or (gridiron) football again since the Argos left and BMO was expanded. I think a Brazil/Chile game three years ago (Nov. 19, 2013, when the temporary grass tore up in "pizza box" sized pieces) was the last soccer match there.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil-edges-chile-in-toronto-soccer-friendly-1.2432953

BeachTory
11-23-2016, 03:46 PM

Yes. Opening the food building and the Rexall Centre can only do so much, err, overflow, from the crowd size.

there has to be contingencies in place to allow for use of BMO Field. Dont what they are.

tiberius
11-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Suppppper curious to know if TFC wins the rights to host the final, considering the date/weather (or maybe it doesn't matter to you) would you want the final at BMO 35K+ or at Skydome 50K+?

Wow - if I did not know better, I might accuse SHWAY as being an MLSE marketing mole or MLSE accounting shill, but of of course I know better - they are all DEAD. What kind of question is this? "Curious to know if you want to play at home at BMO field, on real grass, where MLSE can have a packed stadium but only sell 37K worth of tickets, or shall we play on the road, on fucking astroturf, with a deadened atmosphere, that would give a big advantage to the opposition, but would put WAY MORE BUCKS in the pocket of MLSE....?" Hmmmm.... let me think about that for like one tenth of one nano-second... WTF??? From someone on the boards since 2008? To answer the question... uh no - BMO is the only field ever - put a foot of snow on the ground - it is still home. Let Seattle suck up the snow and the cold just like we had to put up with circa 1980 astroturf in Montreal... I probably have not logged on in a year, but this post gets up my nose - really from someone from 2008?? Interesting...

tiberius
11-25-2016, 09:59 PM

No, they recommend you hit the can at Joe's before going to the game... :hump:

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2016, 10:57 PM
Not even a conversation..

This

General Woolfe
11-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Without question BMO Field. Anywhere else is a choice made on pure greed

cmonyoureds
11-27-2016, 11:30 PM

Is this for real?

backbeat
11-28-2016, 03:01 PM
long range Toronto weather forecast for December 10 is sunny with a high of -1 low -4

Canary10
11-28-2016, 03:38 PM
long range Toronto weather forecast for December 10 is sunny with a high of -1 low -4

Don't believe any forecasts you read yet. I say that as someone who has run a few marathons and watched the weather reports leading into them in OCD like fashion.

MightyDM
11-28-2016, 05:56 PM

Are you certain? That makes no sense. As a decision, not your reporting of it.

jeff.b
11-28-2016, 10:19 PM
I really hope the Sky dome doesn't even enter the conversation but lets just get past Wednesday first!

MartinUtd
11-28-2016, 11:54 PM
So what happens if we get another mid-winter CCL game? If Skydome is permanently out, I can't see BMO holding up to February weather no matter how advanced the undersoil heating system is.

Soccer Mum
11-29-2016, 11:02 AM

Admin needs to card for trolling here...

Oldtimer
11-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Admin needs to card for trolling here...

It's a fair question. Not necessarily trolling (the poster's motives are not obvious). Just like in hockey, there are fans who after their own team gets kicked out will support the last Canadian team standing.

Others would rather drink water from Flint than support Montreal. To each his own.

It is off-topic though.

Heepster
12-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Ill try later to find a source but the changes to the Skydome infield also put the seats into baseball mode permanently. So soccer or cfl for that matter can not be played in Skydome anymore. Not an option.The seats apparently can still be moved into what was the football/soccer mode. But it likely will now only happen once or twice a year during the winter for things like the previously mentioned Supercross and Monster Truck shows, and not at all during baseball season. After they set-up everything for baseball in the spring, it's now too difficult and would take too long to change everything back and forth. There might still be occasional other events like a big concert there in the summer, but with the seats still in the baseball configuration.
I think it's also possible that Rogers Centre now only has the artificial turf for baseball, meaning someone wanting to use the stadium for another sport during the winter would have to provide their own playing surface to put on top of the concrete and metal plating. I would think that is not very likely to happen as it would be too expensive for a one-off event, or some old worn out stuff would get used, like in Montreal.
... Opening the food building and the Rexall Centre can only do so much ...Rexall Centre? What's that? Did they rename one of the other nearby buildings?

Initial B
12-04-2016, 09:05 PM
Rexall Centre? What's that? Did they rename one of the other nearby buildings?
I thought that was the huge main convention centre building immediately east of the Food Building.

Sonny Cheeba
12-04-2016, 09:23 PM
I thought that was the huge main convention centre building immediately east of the Food Building.

Rexall Centre is where the Rogers Cup happens at York U.

I believe the building you're thinking of is called the Enercare Centre... though that name has changed a'plenty over the years.

Alonso
12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
20,000 more tickets available seems like the better option to me.

They put in a grass pitch for other soccer games at the Skydome in the past, and that CCL game against the Galaxy was pretty fucking awesome.

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2016, 01:48 PM
I'd like to see Toronto with the best chances of winning. That means at home at BMO not Skydome.

Auzzy
12-05-2016, 03:19 PM
I really wonder though, what will they do about potential winter CCL games if Skydome is no longer available, due to the completed infield changes, or in the future, if the Blue Jays switch to real grass & immovable stands? Despite all the BMO renos, nothing was fixed or improved in the older washrooms & other problem spots, in the west stands & elsewhere. I just checked this year's CCL schedule. DCU, RSL, LAG & Seattle where involved. There were games on Feb 23/24, and March 1/2. I don't even know if they can get the BMO pitch ready for that, despite undersoil heat & winter tarp. But I really doubt we can play at those times in an average cold winter, with all those things not winterized.

Maybe we play our home games at the Big Owe, and then there's a snowstorm & the game is cancelled. JOKE!!!!!

Or switch it to a futsal game at the ACC :D

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2016, 04:29 PM
I really wonder though, what will they do about potential winter CCL games if Skydome is no longer available, due to the completed infield changes, or in the future, if the Blue Jays switch to real grass & immovable stands? Despite all the BMO renos, nothing was fixed or improved in the older washrooms & other problem spots, in the west stands & elsewhere. I just checked this year's CCL schedule. DCU, RSL, LAG & Seattle where involved. There were games on Feb 23/24, and March 1/2. I don't even know if they can get the BMO pitch ready for that, despite undersoil heat & winter tarp. But I really doubt we can play at those times in an average cold winter, with all those things not winterized.

Maybe we play our home games at the Big Owe, and then there's a snowstorm & the game is cancelled. JOKE!!!!!

Or switch it to a futsal game at the ACC :D

Looking at the CCL sched we don't start the first round till summer though, no?

Auzzy
12-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Looking at the CCL sched we don't start the first round till summer though, no?

I really don't know the overall scheduling, as things have changed recently. Those dates I mentioned were from this year, Feb/March 2016. Might it become a problem next winter (2017/2018), if TFC does well in the CCL next summer & qualifies for the next rounds? Or are those winter games all gone?

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2016, 04:36 PM
I really don't know the overall scheduling, as things have changed recently. Those dates I mentioned were from this year, Feb/March 2016. Might it become a problem next winter (2017/2018), if TFC does well in the CCL next summer & qualifies for the next rounds? Or are those winter games all gone?

Ok I just looked recently and the group stage will start Aug to Oct next year.

Then WHEN we make the knockout stage we gotta think about the next Feb to Apr.

So it's still an issue but not one we worry about this off season.

Heepster
12-05-2016, 07:51 PM
...They put in a grass pitch for other soccer games at the Skydome in the past...It seemed to work relatively well during summer, when "Rogers Centre's retractable roof was manipulated sufficiently to ensure the newly-laid sod could benefit as much as possible from natural sunlight and air (http://www.turfandrec.com/profiles/rogers-centre-goes-natural-for-pair-of-european-soccer-games-2770)". But as I mentioned in an earlier post, it didn't work very well in November 2013 (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil-edges-chile-in-toronto-soccer-friendly-1.2432953), and I don't think there's been another soccer match there on any type of surface since then.

ensco
12-05-2016, 08:10 PM
You know, looking around on the internet a bit, this game will be the coldest MLS match ever, and among the coldest soccer games ever played.

Ever.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2013/11/23/sporting-kc-houston-dynamo-was-coldest-mls-match-ever

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/15/the-knowledge-cold-football-matches

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/42rkng/what_is_the_coldest_premier_league_game_ever/

Shway
12-18-2016, 11:24 PM
Wow - if I did not know better, I might accuse SHWAY as being an MLSE marketing mole or MLSE accounting shill, but of of course I know better - they are all DEAD. What kind of question is this? "Curious to know if you want to play at home at BMO field, on real grass, where MLSE can have a packed stadium but only sell 37K worth of tickets, or shall we play on the road, on fucking astroturf, with a deadened atmosphere, that would give a big advantage to the opposition, but would put WAY MORE BUCKS in the pocket of MLSE....?" Hmmmm.... let me think about that for like one tenth of one nano-second... WTF??? From someone on the boards since 2008? To answer the question... uh no - BMO is the only field ever - put a foot of snow on the ground - it is still home. Let Seattle suck up the snow and the cold just like we had to put up with circa 1980 astroturf in Montreal... I probably have not logged on in a year, but this post gets up my nose - really from someone from 2008?? Interesting...

and at the end of the day, it was just a question.

tiberius
12-20-2016, 09:59 PM
and at the end of the day, it was just a question.

And answered! lol

Fort York Redcoat
12-24-2016, 01:32 PM
And answered! lol

And yet there are people that've been around since 2007 who felt Skydome was their preference. Opinions can be held THAT long. Meh. It's clear not many held that opinion. Fine by me. I agree that there's only one home of Toronto FC.

Shway
12-25-2016, 01:05 AM
Just have to think what if... In a warmer climate/temperature we may have seen us win way before extra time.

Dec 10 was a moment for the fans and city, and not for the display of the beautiful game that tfc can play.