PDA

View Full Version : Iceland clap

EL DUQUE'----'
10-29-2016, 02:26 AM
I've been at the Fields since day one and followed the RPB's since inception. Absolutely phenomenonal job by everyone. I have nothing but respect for the lot. if allowed I would like the Icelandic chant to take a spin towards tfc. When the first drum sounds, we yell "T" second drum "F" third drum " C". And so on..continue the pattern.. This way, it makes it our own...thoughts?

denime
10-29-2016, 05:48 AM
I've been at the Fields since day one and followed the RPB's since inception. Absolutely phenomenonal job by everyone. I have nothing but respect for the lot. if allowed I would like the Icelandic chant to take a spin towards tfc. When the first drum sounds, we yell "T" second drum "F" third drum " C". And so on..continue the pattern.. This way, it makes it our own...thoughts?

We just got rest of the stadium participating,trying to change anything this late in the season would fail.

FluSH
10-29-2016, 06:52 AM
Great suggestion. FYI: we don't call it the Iceland Clap; it's been done by many clubs way before Iceland... heck we have always done it before... they just made it Pop so the whole world knows!

Red4ever
10-29-2016, 09:26 AM
I really like this suggestion. That being said, it is a little late to change it up with all the social media presentations and force of habit.

Might be something to consider for the start of next season.

BelfastBoy
10-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Viking clap!

GhostKiller
10-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Related question...
Why did we change the timing to the clap? It's much faster off the start and doesn't have the same bone chilling build up.

denime
10-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Related question...
Why did we change the timing to the clap? It's much faster off the start and doesn't have the same bone chilling build up.

Now rest of the stadium picks up faster and therefore no need to have 20 seconds between two claps as we did before.

denime
10-29-2016, 10:22 AM
Viking clap!

Slow clap

OgtheDim
10-29-2016, 10:22 AM
Related question...

Yeah, its not helping us in the West stand to get into it.

To the OP - no need to change what is working. Nobody is bored with this. Its a grand thing and the whole of the stadium is getting into this and through that into the other chants the south leads.

The clap has become part of the enjoyment for the whole stadium and this will only pick up from here. Its getting people going in the stadium and drawing people to games. The clap has now become TFC tradition and the whole of the stadium is joining in. People there this year will be able to say in 20 years, "I was at BMO the year the clap tradition took off."

Changing it up is beyond a bad idea.

Keep it simple. Keep the feeling going. The whole stadium is bouncing now, with the West starting to take up other chants as well. Keep that growth going and BMO will become a lock tight fortress full of noise.

paul-collins
10-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's not helping us in the West stand to get into it.

To the OP - no need to change what is working. Nobody is bored with this. Its a grand thing and the whole of the stadium is getting into this and through that into the other chants the south leads.

The clap has become part of the enjoyment for the whole stadium and this will only pick up from here. Its getting people going in the stadium and drawing people to games. The clap has now become TFC tradition and the whole of the stadium is joining in. People there this year will be able to say in 20 years, "I was at BMO the year the clap tradition took off."

Keep it simple. Keep the feeling going. The whole stadium is bouncing now, with the West starting to take up other chants as well. Keep that growth going and BMO will become a lock tight fortress full of noise.
QFT :drum:

mistercorporate
10-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Yeah, its not helping us in the West stand to get into it.

Certified truth!

GhostKiller
10-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Now rest of the stadium picks up faster and therefore no need to have 20 seconds between two claps as we did before.
Here are my thoughts.
The slower version has emotion. The long eery silence thats sliced open by the thunderous clap sends chills down the spine. It's long and purposeful enough that it almost dares you to join it. The slow build up, knowing where its going but not rushing, draws everyone in the stadium in. The reward for your patience comes when you get to go nuts when the end comes crashing in.
The slower version is fast enough that you can sit it out and feels less emotional and sharp. In my section at least it's more scattered. It still sounds dope but personally I pref the original way.

OgtheDim
10-29-2016, 02:25 PM

Quite the opposite.

Most of the stadium doesn't know its going on until the 3rd clap happens.

Go back to the old way. No really good reason to do this faster, truth be told.

DinamoTFC
10-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Before they were a little too slow. Now they are way too fast. Need to find a middle ground. I think I'd still rather have slow than too fast.

Alixir
10-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Since I am unable to attend many games I watch most games on the tele.
The slow buildup always looked perfect and more people in my opinion caught on and the whole stadium would have it down. That being said this sped up version really doesn't have the same impact.

khso11
10-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Before they were a little too slow. Now they are way too fast. Need to find a middle ground. I think I'd still rather have slow than too fast.

This! Plus for tomorrow's game, anyone not in the supporters section should stand up for the clap. This will get the casuals of casuals to get involve with the chant.

Before the clap, the south stand could maybe chant "westside/eastside stand up", then immediately transitioning to everyone putting their hands up, this will catch everyone's attention, no one will sit back down. It's hard, but I think it's going to be possible.

Prof
10-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Great suggestion. FYI: we don't call it the Iceland Clap; it's been done by many clubs way before Iceland... heck we have always done it before... they just made it Pop so the whole world knows!

PAOK has been doing this for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWDTXjSEdl4:drinking:

paul-collins
10-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Seriously, what's the hurry?

PAOK17
10-29-2016, 10:11 PM
PAOK has been doing this for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWDTXjSEdl4:drinking:

Thank you! I've been saying this all year. Though I'm sure they aren't the first ones to have done it, when I went to heir games 6 years ago all 30000 fans did it. And without the random goofballs trying to throw off the crowd by stomping on the ground in between claps. I think Iceland gets all the credit because

a) they were the surprise story at the euro and the media focused on everything around them (good on them).

b) north American media hardly focuses on what supporters do aside from liverpool's you'll never walk alone. I mean our locall media doesn't even know we'very been doing this for years

Alonso
10-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Here are my thoughts.
The slower version has emotion. The long eery silence thats sliced open by the thunderous clap sends chills down the spine. It's long and purposeful enough that it almost dares you to join it. The slow build up, knowing where its going but not rushing, draws everyone in the stadium in. The reward for your patience comes when you get to go nuts when the end comes crashing in.
The slower version is fast enough that you can sit it out and feels less emotional and sharp. In my section at least it's more scattered. It still sounds dope but personally I pref the original way.

Quite the opposite.

Most of the stadium doesn't know its going on until the 3rd clap happens.

Go back to the old way. No really good reason to do this faster, truth be told.

Totally agree with both you guys.

The slower version was WAY better on TV to.

Hamilton_Red
10-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Thank you! I've been saying this all year. Though I'm sure they aren't the first ones to have done it, when I went to heir games 6 years ago all 30000 fans did it. And without the random goofballs trying to throw off the crowd by stomping on the ground in between claps. I think Iceland gets all the credit because

a) they were the surprise story at the euro and the media focused on everything around them (good on them).

b) north American media hardly focuses on what supporters do aside from liverpool's you'll never walk alone. I mean our locall media doesn't even know we'very been doing this for years

Liverpool stole YNWA from Celtic... I love this one from WBA

https://www.facebook.com/soccermemes/videos/1330239887034923/

Abou Sky
10-30-2016, 07:23 AM
I don't mind it being called the 'Iceland Clap'

What bothers me is when people call it 'The Viking Clap' and come up with stories about how it's some Viking War Chant.

That said, Support however you want, from home, from your seat or singing in the South End.

Oldtimer
10-30-2016, 09:21 AM
We did it long, long before Iceland popularized it. We have recently changed how we do it though by copying using a drum now to coordinate the claps... so Iceland deserves the credit for that.

Red CB Toronto
10-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Yep, there is just not one right or wrong way to support. It all about what you like, enjoy, feel comfortable with. But there is no doubt the clap has worked in a simple manner to involve the entire stadium, which is great.

I don't mind it being called the 'Iceland Clap'

What bothers me is when people call it 'The Viking Clap' and come up with stories about how it's some Viking War Chant.

That said, Support however you want, from home, from your seat or singing in the South End.

EL DUQUE'----'
10-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Good dialogue on " the clap " lol....do you think if all the capos used their megaphones to tell the south end to say the letters after each drum beat that would catch on. It ain't that hard and it does lead to the TFC chant right after. Perfect segway.

OgtheDim
10-30-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry but your idea is neither needed nor useful.

Any response to my concerns?

I'll be back on here in a few hours. :)

EL DUQUE'----'
10-30-2016, 04:04 PM

It's OK, ideas are just that, ideas. Off to the stadium

Red4ever
10-30-2016, 04:16 PM

Dude. This reponse isnt needed or useful.

Tone it down.

Leedsoronto
10-30-2016, 04:28 PM

Is a nice idea actually but it won't catch on is my guess