PDA

View Full Version : BMO Field Pitch thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Oldtimer
10-18-2016, 09:54 AM
This is a new thread to discuss pitch sharing issues only with respect to grass, markings on the field, etc. This includes any issues with respect to sharing with CFL, lacrosse, rugby, various other types of gridiron, soccer uses oustide of MLS, etc.

No discussions of other sports, their attendance, etc. is to be covered in this thread. Instead discuss those in the "All Sports Talk" sections. Any trolling or off-topic posts will be deleted.

greatwhitenorf
10-18-2016, 10:19 AM
So, that basically leaves this thread open to the grounds crew.

Because there's precious few reading this forum who ever get anywhere close enough to the pitch to make a qualified statement one way or the other.

I think it looks simply fabulous, with the pristine green and white blending harmoniously with the brilliant red of the seats. Like a Christmas card. Here's a lovely picture to show how well everything is working.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OfWkZEqXFxs/WARCXp3kKxI/AAAAAAABLjM/yyGYB0oACTYtaU74xwXiQl_6oOtM9cy4gCLcB/s640/BMO.JPG

Red CB Toronto
10-18-2016, 10:23 AM
As far as I can tell only the grounds crew is qualified to discuss the pitch and how it's holding up, so all I can really say is at least the sky is blue, hopefully.

Fort York Redcoat
10-18-2016, 10:24 AM
^^Is that actually a pic from the last game?

I don't get the text.

You can see wear along the hash marks. Nothing to raise most peoples ire. Most.

Fort York Redcoat
10-18-2016, 10:25 AM
As far as I can tell only the grounds crew is qualified to discuss the pitch and how it's holding up, so all I can really say is at least the sky is blue, hopefully.

Really. Most people can use their eyes and judgement. See the Dallas highlights from Sunday.

Red CB Toronto
10-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Really. Most people can use their eyes and judgement. See the Dallas highlights from Sunday.

Well the next real test will be the Grey Cup, where I will personally get down on my hands and knees to inespect for even a single divot, maybe even a dash of blue paint, you never know when what affect grass may have on you.

greatwhitenorf
10-18-2016, 10:32 AM
^^Is that actually a pic from the last game?

I don't get the text.

You can see wear along the hash marks. Nothing to raise most peoples ire. Most.

Yes. It was taken from the press box by Rod Pedersen, the Roughies play-by-play caller and a man who is one of the greatest advocates and friends the CFL has ever had. If I quoted his blog and what he had to say about the Argos and where they should play - loudly echoing his comments for years now - I'd get hammered for violating the guidelines posted above.

Pookie
10-18-2016, 10:42 AM
The multiuse publicly funded stadium is working as advertised.

Really surprised that the lines are not visible. The "hose video" from a while back left me doubting.

Grass is repaired and the scheduling is working. Really like the investment in the back up pitch as well. Keep it up.

Sorry MLSE, I was wrong.

reggie
10-18-2016, 10:46 AM
the crew has done a great job so far.yes we have been lucky with the rain,,did you see the chunks of grass coming off at saputo sunday.

Fort York Redcoat
10-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Well the next real text will be the Grey Cup, where I will personally get down on my hands and knees to inespect for even a single divot, maybe even a dash of blue paint, you never know when what affect grass may have on you.

Can't wait to hear you've been on the news for it.

The effect is predictable if you're for "the reds and the eleven men on the pitch" or for any team in Toronto playing.

It looks as if the pitch should be fine for Chicago this Sun. Seems like the almost constant rain is pretty light.

greatwhitenorf
10-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Then there's nothing more to be said about the issue. We've covered it thoroughly and nothing is ever going to change.

Everything about how things have worked out at BMO Field this year is absolutely wonderful. Given BMO Field's extraordinary light use outside of soccer - both on the pitch and all other areas of the stadium, it's safe to say our concerns were misplaced.

I'd close this thread now and let's get on with planning our Christmas shopping.

Fort York Redcoat
10-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Then there's nothing more to be said about the issue. We've covered it thoroughly and nothing is ever going to change.

Everything about how things have worked out at BMO Field this year is absolutely wonderful. Given BMO Field's extraordinary light use outside of soccer - both on the pitch and all other areas of the stadium, it's safe to say our concerns were misplaced.

I'd close this thread now and let's get on with planning our Christmas shopping.

Misplaced this year. The stadium intends to be in use next year. I doubt the weather will remain the same and thereby the conditions of the pitch may change as well. It's still a concern.

As much to me as my Christmas shopping.

OgtheDim
10-18-2016, 11:01 AM
The field is an ongoing issue and requires vigilance in monitoring. :yessir:

Canary10
10-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Argos reduced the price of Grey Cup tickets. Is this the right thread to bring that up? (Ducks).

mistercorporate
10-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Argos reduced the price of Grey Cup tickets. Is this the right thread to bring that up? (Ducks).

Ouch, will people who already purchased tickets get partial-refunds? I predict a lot of angry folk...

Areathrasher
10-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Ouch, will people who already purchased tickets get partial-refunds? I predict a lot of angry folk...

People are rightly angry. No refunds but apparently they will be able to "upgrade" their tickets. Not sure what that will entail.

Anyways, we talking grass in here yo.

glaze
10-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Well, looks like no Argos home playoff date.
Can the grey cup affect our playoffs?
Will the no logos/ads rule on field carry thru to grey cup if we are still playing games?
If not this thread could go into hibernation til next season.
Grass held up better than expected this year but we did benefit from ideal weather.

Initial B
10-18-2016, 09:55 PM
People are rightly angry. No refunds but apparently they will be able to "upgrade" their tickets. Not sure what that will entail.
Reading one of the supporter boards, people are... well, not apoplectic, but *very* unhappy with the way this is going down. They're finding out in the media before emails were sent out. Not all the seats are getting upgrades, but $50 off 2017 Season Tickets seems to be the standard. I'm having flashbacks to Anselmi-era TFC.

greatwhitenorf
10-18-2016, 10:03 PM

Oh yeah? A LOT of angry folk you say?

Visual evidence to the contrary says it might merely be an unhappy few:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OfWkZEqXFxs/WARCXp3kKxI/AAAAAAABLjM/yyGYB0oACTYtaU74xwXiQl_6oOtM9cy4gCLcB/s640/BMO.JPG

Still and all, just look at the quality of that pitch. Thing o' beauty and then some.

It's so good that I'm beginning to wonder if the effects of soccer at BMO Field are beginning to have deleterious effects on the quality of CFL play there.

Is that even possible?

Blindside16
10-19-2016, 12:36 AM
Well, looks like no Argos home playoff date.
Can the grey cup affect our playoffs?
Will the no logos/ads rule on field carry thru to grey cup if we are still playing games?
If not this thread could go into hibernation til next season.
Grass held up better than expected this year but we did benefit from ideal weather.

The MLS has already adjusted the schedule to accommodate the grey cup in case we make it to the conference final. If things continue the way they have all season I can't see where there would be any issue with the pitch. I have been very pleased with how it held up and will admit I was wrong this season. Next year we can open the debate once more.

OgtheDim
10-19-2016, 06:22 AM
Right now, Sunday is supposed to be sunny with no rain.

If on Sunday we had a full belter like we had last season a few times, any game on Wednesday or Thursday might have issues. This is the last possible 2 home games in 3-4 days thing this season. We've gotten away with a lot of quick turnarounds.

The winter will bring its own issues but with BMO now having the ability to use infestation remedies (pesticide) we shouldn't see the issues we had in 2014.

KurtLarSUN
10-19-2016, 06:34 AM
The MLS has already adjusted the schedule to accommodate the grey cup in case we make it to the conference final. If things continue the way they have all season I can't see where there would be any issue with the pitch. I have been very pleased with how it held up and will admit I was wrong this season. Next year we can open the debate once more.

If your expectation is that the pitch at BMO Field will never again be substandard, you're probably going to be disappointed one day.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2016, 07:48 AM
If your expectation is that the pitch at BMO Field will never again be substandard, you're probably going to be disappointed one day.

I think most of the convo that day will surround WHY that day it's substandard. There have been terrible pitch days before this groundshare.

Red4ever
10-19-2016, 07:53 AM
It is nice weve made it this far with condensed schedules without issue. However, the first time we get the tail end of a category 3 next fall, that will be enough to juke this threads stats significantly.

KurtLarSUN
10-19-2016, 07:56 AM
It is nice weve made it this far with concenced schedules without issue. However, the first time we get the tail end of a catergory 3 next fall, that will be enough to juke this threads stats significantly.

Like I said...

If your expectation is that the grass at BMO Field will forever be near-perfect, then that standard won't be met at some point.

I'm OK with that. It's better than the alternative, which is giving up on grass and just going to plastic.

ManUtd4ever
10-19-2016, 08:03 AM
No complaints at all.

Globetrotter
10-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Is this thread open just for those who really want to spite Leiweke and hold a grudge that a stadium is shared? Are there still some just waiting for the day that a blade of grass is bent the wrong way or you still see a small hiccup of a paint mark that shouldn't be on the field so we can "prove them wrong"??

Imagine an outsider that doesn't care so much about soccer or football. They see this thread and say "these people are arguing about grass"?

The stadium is shared. The grass survived as we were reassured it would. Let's move on with our lives. We still have several games left to win.

KurtLarSUN
10-19-2016, 08:13 AM
Is this thread open just for those who really want to spite Leiweke and hold a grudge that a stadium is shared? Are there still some just waiting for the day that a blade of grass is bent the wrong way or you still see a small hiccup of a paint mark that shouldn't be on the field so we can "prove them wrong"??

Imagine an outsider that doesn't care so much about soccer or football. They see this thread and say "these people are arguing about grass"?

The stadium is shared. The grass survived as we were reassured it would. Let's move on with our lives. We still have several games left to win.

1) Yes. People are waiting for a torrential rain storm. They're desperate to complain. Their expectation is eternal perfection.

Oldtimer
10-19-2016, 08:16 AM
1) Yes. People are waiting for a torrential rain storm. They're desperate to complain. Their expectation is eternal perfection.

There is a legitimate concern whether the best solution has been chosen. I still go for hybrid, I think it's cost (you have to replace whole sections instead of divots) that made the choice easy for MLSE.

KurtLarSUN
10-19-2016, 08:21 AM
There is a legitimate concern whether the best solution has been chosen. I still go for hybrid, I think it's cost (you have to replace whole sections instead of divots) that made the choice easy for MLSE.

I've reported on this many times. There's a good reason hybrid wasn't chosen. You CAN'T easily replace it. You have to use seed and grow. The ability to replace whole sections quickly is why they decided NOT to use a hybrid.

In my earlier reports, I was also told that if the natural surface WASN'T a success this year, they were open to moving to a hybrid next year.

The "cost" argument doesn't really make sense when you consider MLSE spared no expense with grow lights etc. With what has transpired through the previous three years, I'm not sure how you can hypothesize that MLSE is cutting corners.

Red4ever
10-19-2016, 08:35 AM

Who? Everyone?
No.

Some People?
yes.

Is that your point. Some people are desperate to complain?

Top notch.

KurtLarSUN
10-19-2016, 08:41 AM
Who? Everyone?
No.

Some People?
yes.

Is that your point. Some people are desperate to complain?

Top notch.

In case you missed it, my point is that, yes, there's a sizeable (I'll let you estimate) faction of supporters who want the ground share to fail.

And when it inevitably does next year or five years from now or 10 years from now, the I-told-you-so group will emerge.

My take: Grass is a science. It's imperfect. Knowing that, I foresee a day when TFC's pitch is not "top notch" for a weekend or two. I'm OK with that.

I commend TFC ownership for investing in the surface.

Pookie
10-19-2016, 08:44 AM

Yes. Nail. Head.

I do think that the vigilance or at least the focus should be on the scheduling going forward. This year is clearly a good one which has enabled the pitch to stay in great shape. Both teams would like to have standard game dates and times. No one likes a mid-week game. One team has gate superiority, the other has networks and ratings. The angling over dates is probably already underway and while Leiweke stated it was always soccer first... he's no longer there.

As long as the schedule allows for the time to heal the pitch and make repairs, we should continue to be fine. But if they choose to test the limits to seek to maximize game day revenue, that could become an issue for the survival of the pitch.

That to me is one of the only reasons that a thread/discussion like this would continue. The ground share is clearly working and it's a really nice stadium now that wouldn't have happened without the focus on big events and expanding rental dates.

KurtLarSUN
10-19-2016, 08:47 AM
Yes. Nail. Head.

I do think that the vigilance or at least the focus should be on the scheduling going forward. This year is clearly a good one which has enabled the pitch to stay in great shape. Both teams would like to have standard game dates and times. No one likes a mid-week game. One team has gate superiority, the other has networks and ratings. The angling over dates is probably already underway and while Leiweke stated it was always soccer first... he's no longer there.

As long as the schedule allows for the time to heal the pitch and make repairs, we should continue to be fine. But if they choose to test the limits to seek to maximize game day revenue, that could become an issue for the survival of the pitch.

That to me is one of the only reasons that a thread/discussion like this would continue. The ground share is clearly working and it's a really nice stadium now that wouldn't have happened without the focus on big events and expanding rental dates.

Head groundsmen told me last month that they expect even better scheduling next year.

TR-T
10-19-2016, 08:48 AM
I wonder how MLSE would react if city council voted to cancel the management contract with MLSE and overseas the stadium and pitch themselves? Would people feel better about the grass then I wonder.

TR-T
10-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Head groundsmen told me last month that they expect even better scheduling next year.

Absolutely they will with the Reds having a normal schedule with home games beginning in March. 7-8 home game games could be played before the CFL season kicks off. It will benefit the management of the grass greatly.

Red4ever
10-19-2016, 08:50 AM
In case you missed it, my point is that, yes, there's a sizeable (I'll let you estimate) faction of supporters who want the ground share to fail.

And when it inevitably does next year or five years from now or 10 years from now, the I-told-you-so group will emerge.

My take: Grass is a science. It's imperfect. Knowing that, I foresee a day when TFC's pitch is not "top notch" for a weekend or two. I'm OK with that.

I didn't miss it so much as I summarized it...
and I don't think it's a point so much as it's a fact...
But yeah, keep posting.

This is why this thread sucks. It's either people who are way too angry about the ground share, or people who come here to wind them up.

Pookie
10-19-2016, 09:15 AM

great thanks for sharing

Oldtimer
10-19-2016, 09:19 AM
I've reported on this many times. There's a good reason hybrid wasn't chosen. You CAN'T easily replace it. You have to use seed and grow. The ability to replace whole sections quickly is why they decided NOT to use a hybrid.

In my earlier reports, I was also told that if the natural surface WASN'T a success this year, they were open to moving to a hybrid next year.

The "cost" argument doesn't really make sense when you consider MLSE spared no expense with grow lights etc. With what has transpired through the previous three years, I'm not sure how you can hypothesize that MLSE is cutting corners.

I remember your reports, it's just that hybrid has been used with great success in the UK. I understand that they went with the quicker option... maybe it's OK given that they have huge amounts of sod in reserve. It's worked in this mostly dry season, whether it works longer term is unproven.

paul-collins
10-19-2016, 09:22 AM
I've only been paying attention to this thread because we invested observers can pick out things that may or may not have been caught by the groundskeepers, to provide them with an honest and constructive assessment of the pitch.

It's not just about the repair after the fact, it's also about the operational choices that lead to the damage in the first place (or that are adopted to mitigate that damage).

An example: there was discussion after the first Argos game that the sideline population was avoiding the tarps, thus putting strain on the west side grass. That seems to not be an issue now.

The example I observed was the golf cart tracks that were obvious at the northeast corner. It seemed to me that this was likely due to excessive traffic to and from the Argos dressing room. The issue has gone away, and maybe it was due to an operational change. (And maybe it wasn't anything that could be changed, and took care of itself. I'm open to the possibility I was overly sensitive.)

At the very least our observations help the groundscrew to refine their craft by having constructive feedback.

TR-T
10-19-2016, 09:29 AM
I remember your reports, it's just that hybrid has been used with great success in the UK. I understand that they went with the quicker option... maybe it's OK given that they have huge amounts of sod in reserve. It's worked in this mostly dry season, whether it works longer term is unproven.

Maybe we should all consult our respective city councillors and have the city put in the hybrid since they actually own the stadium. John Tory is a very sports friendly guy.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2016, 09:55 AM

AS do I. The initial investment in a surface that was top of the league. For our game. Other games have other needs.

I don't get how this is even a soapbox for people. To prevent discussion on the state of the pitch. If you and others are ok with it and don't see a problem, thanks for stopping by and leave your bullshit generalizing somewhere else.

TR-T
10-19-2016, 10:05 AM

Keep up the good work Kurt. Your coverage and commentary is much needed as some people here take the pitch issue here way too seriously. I think you will know by now some of these suporters types only come out of their mom's basement for games, spending the rest of the time hiding behind a keyboard. I met a few of them once getting dropped off in their mom's mini van at BMO.

In general I do not have any issues with the pitch, but maybe one day it will be who knows. For example Heinz Field in Pittsburgh after getting torn up due to the Steelers and Pitt coupled in with high school games, they changed to turf.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2016, 10:08 AM

The system they initially upgraded to was ideal for natural grass. That system was expensive. The sod they are growing (have grown) for replacements are in comparison cheap.

Thank the weather that we didn't have to use sod "b". There was no guarantee or even likelyhood that that surface would've taken root in time. Again, thank the weather.

Hybrid, while the cost is more, the system we have in place to keep it healthy is not a necessity and an excess to what it needs. Yes, it would've cost more to put in but there was no guarantees EITHER system would work perfectly. Which is pretty much what they needed this first year and they've got thus far.

So I would doubt they invest further in hybrid next year until the sod replacement scheme fails one season and people AREN'T ok with it.

I'm glad they had a plan "b" but I'm far more glad they didn't have to use it.

TR-T
10-19-2016, 10:11 AM
The system they initially upgraded to was ideal for natural grass. That system was expensive. The sod they are growing (have grown) for replacements are in comparison cheap.

Thank the weather that we didn't have to use sod "b". There was no guarantee or even likelyhood that that surface would've taken root in time. Again, thank the weather.

Hybrid, while the cost is more, the system we have in place to keep it healthy is not a necessity and an excess to what it needs. Yes, it would've cost more to put in but there was no guarantees EITHER system would work perfectly. Which is pretty much what they needed this first year and they've got thus far.

So I would doubt they invest further in hybrid next year until the sod replacement scheme fails one season and people AREN'T ok with it.

I'm glad they had a plan "b" but I'm far more glad they didn't have to use it.

Would the idea of a hybrid field not be an issue to take up with city council as they are the ones who ultimately would have to sign off on it, being a city owned facility?

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Keep up the good work Kurt. Your coverage and commentary is much needed as some people here take the pitch issue here way too seriously. I think you will know by now some of these suporters types only come out of their mom's basement for games, spending the rest of the time hiding behind a keyboard. I met a few of them once getting dropped off in their mom's mini van at BMO.

Welcome to the board from one supporter type behind a keyboard.

Glad you aren't too serious. Enjoy the pitch, enjoy the game, enjoy the convo.

I agree on most of Kurts commentary as well. He provides a great insight on many things surrounding TFC for us.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Would the idea of a hybrid field not be an issue to take up with city council as they are the ones who ultimately would have to sign off on it, being a city owned facility?

I'm sure it would be as much an issue as the last upgrade they made to the stadium and the surface. Your point?

TR-T
10-19-2016, 10:26 AM
I'm sure it would be as much an issue as the last upgrade they made to the stadium and the surface. Your point?

My point is, if you really have an issue with something city related as BMO Field is, get a good conversation going with your city councillor and if enough bring it up, changes could happen. I would be happy to see the city to vote taking away the management of the facility by MLSE. It would not be the first time as the city of Oshawa did it with the arena the Generals play at.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2016, 10:32 AM
My point is, if you really have an issue with something city related as BMO Field is, get a good conversation going with your city councillor and if enough bring it up, changes could happen. I would be happy to see the city to vote taking away the management of the facility by MLSE. It would not be the first time as the city of Oshawa did it with the arena the Generals play at.

Ah. I see. You're offering me a personal way to get involved in the issue.

Thank you for the productive advice intended. Truly. But I had conversations much closer to the people responsible for the change at a time when change was more likely.

Again, I applaud anyone who would offer action over just talk. Kudos.

greatwhitenorf
10-19-2016, 10:39 AM
I've only been paying attention to this thread because we invested observers can pick out things that may or may not have been caught by the groundskeepers, to provide them with an honest and constructive assessment of the pitch.

It's not just about the repair after the fact, it's also about the operational choices that lead to the damage in the first place (or that are adopted to mitigate that damage).

An example: there was discussion after the first Argos game that the sideline population was avoiding the tarps, thus putting strain on the west side grass. That seems to not be an issue now.

The example I observed was the golf cart tracks that were obvious at the northeast corner. It seemed to me that this was likely due to excessive traffic to and from the Argos dressing room. The issue has gone away, and maybe it was due to an operational change. (And maybe it wasn't anything that could be changed, and took care of itself. I'm open to the possibility I was overly sensitive.)

At the very least our observations help the groundscrew to refine their craft by having constructive feedback.

Well, as we can see in this informative image used previously, you can see some of the sideline traffic clearly not using the protective tarp to stand on.

In fact, many of them are on the field and seem to spend a great deal of time each game out beyond the actual sideline. I'm not sure why or even why it's permitted. Can they not see the game from a few steps back? Do the players out on the field need extra encouragement or coaching? Are they standing by to help off concussed teammates? Are they concussed themselves and have lost their bearings?

Now, it's probably safe to assume that the grass is taking less of a pounding this year because the dismal performance of the Argos diminishes the urge for both home and visiting team to cavort boisterously in that area.

The Sadsack Scullers are living up to Homer Simpson's epic definition of 'the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked'. Therefore, their players are naturally subdued and lethargic. The visiting team, knowing they have an easy game they fully expect to win, are also less active and boisterous as the score mounts in their favour. The absence of drama helps tone down the intensity of sideline activity and that is certainly helping spare the grass on the sidelines from harder wear and tear.

As an added bonus for the stadium, many of the seats should probably last longer than expected with less wear and tear on them, too.

It's too good to be true how well this stadium share is working out. This year.

paul-collins
10-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Sure, I didn't say that the staff and players were staying on the tarp; I said it doesn't seem to be an issue now. Perhaps once (if?) the Argos start doing something that makes someone on the sidelines get excited, it will become an issue. :p

Auzzy
10-19-2016, 11:33 AM
I can't for the life of me understand why people love to complain about certain threads being open & active -- as long as people aren't attacking each other unduly or otherwise getting out of hand. Not interested in a thread / think it's silly? Pro tip: don't open the thread.

I've never lived in my mom's basement, I moved away from home 30 years ago, but I'm interested & vigilant about these issues. I have some points (good & bad) to say about how the pitch & groundshare are working -- but no time right now as I'm on a short lunch break at work. Maybe tonight.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2016, 11:58 AM
I can't for the life of me understand why people love to complain about certain threads being open & active -- as long as people aren't attacking each other unduly or otherwise getting out of hand. Not interested in a thread / think it's silly? Pro tip: don't open the thread.

I've never lived in my mom's basement, I moved away from home 30 years ago, but I'm interested & vigilant about these issues. I have some points (good & bad) to say about how the pitch & groundshare are working -- but no time right now as I'm on a short lunch break at work. Maybe tonight.

Sorry bud, I tried.:thumbsup:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Auzzy again.

Oldtimer
10-19-2016, 12:12 PM

In general we prefer to let threads run their course unless there is personal attacks or trolling.

Onyx
10-19-2016, 12:14 PM
March / April is a greater concern, than football 10 times a year. the grass is strong by the time football starts.

Remember the bog in the defoe year.

KRO
10-19-2016, 12:18 PM
To my surprise the pitch has been perfect this season. No divots or any sign of lines. However, my season seats were in the front row of the defunct North Stand. The price was right and the view was excellent so I'll never forgive the club for forcing me to sit where I did this season. I have not renewed.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2016, 12:45 PM
March / April is a greater concern, than football 10 times a year. the grass is strong by the time football starts.

Oh this will be something different. To see how much slower it recovers from those bog months.

KurtLarSUN
10-19-2016, 02:10 PM

Winter months are being addressed. I'll have a story on that soon.

Areathrasher
10-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Oh this will be something different. To see how much slower it recovers from those bog months.

Why do you think it will be slower to recover?

OgtheDim
10-19-2016, 02:38 PM

There are rumours that both Home Depot United and eventually the Loons will be using hybrid. The Home Depot supporters seem to be crowing about it because "WEMBLEY!".

Areathrasher
10-19-2016, 02:43 PM
There are rumours that both Home Depot United and eventually the Loons will be using hybrid. The Home Depot supporters seem to be crowing about it because "WEMBLEY!".

It's already been confirmed Atlanta are using the fake stuff

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/synthetic-turf-chosen-for-mercedes-benz-stadium/ZZc3IaOat2cjo4NTlLTD9O/

Canary10
10-19-2016, 03:02 PM

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/synthetic-turf-chosen-for-mercedes-benz-stadium/ZZc3IaOat2cjo4NTlLTD9O/

So we'll be reading stories about DPs saying, "I really like it in Atlanta, but I was surprised about the fake grass."

Onyx
10-19-2016, 03:57 PM

don't have a good feeling Atlanta will be a good franchise ... kinda of like NER or DC
Its like this team should be Garber United.

Areathrasher
10-19-2016, 08:45 PM
don't have a good feeling Atlanta will be a good franchise ... kinda of like NER or DC

I don't get that sense. They've pretty much knocked everything out of the park so far.

greatwhitenorf
10-19-2016, 09:01 PM

So, it's your 'feeling' up against the $3.1 billion personal net worth and soundly established business acumen of one Arthur Blank.

I'm sure Mr. Blank isn't worried in the slightest.

james
10-19-2016, 11:38 PM

i knew Seattle, New England, and vancouver play on fake grass (all share with football teams) but why Portland? Out of all teams, that's weird. And Vancouver....can they follow what TFC and Argos have done with real grass? It's better then fake grass for both teams I imagine. I never see a NFL team following tho in USA what Toronto has done, they wouldn't give a shit what conditions the field is in for a MLS team

Onyx
10-20-2016, 12:11 AM
i knew Seattle, New England, and vancouver play on fake grass (all share with football teams) but why Portland? Out of all teams, that's weird. And Vancouver....can they follow what TFC and Argos have done with real grass? It's better then fake grass for both teams I imagine. I never see a NFL team following tho in USA what Toronto has done, they wouldn't give a shit what conditions the field is in for a MLS team

Portland has a plastic pitch due to the weather ... it just rains to much. Portland shares its field with college football as well, although 4-5 games instead of 10

Blindside16
10-20-2016, 12:24 AM

I never said that I wasn't expecting the pitch to never be substandard again. I was merely stating that it shouldn't be an issue with what remains at BMO this year.

greatwhitenorf
10-20-2016, 07:14 AM
There is a point where a horribly deteriorated field actually becomes an added source of entertainment. I'd pay to watch the CFL if it was played under these conditions:

https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/football/2012/11/19/grey_cup_memories_amid_filth_a_thrilling_day_at_th e_argos_mud_bowl/mudbowl.jpeg.size.custom.crop.1086x712.jpg

greatwhitenorf
10-20-2016, 07:20 AM

The Whitecaps still have plans to move out of the dome for a new ground in Gastown. They got politically hornswoggled into playing on plastic for a few years to help pay down the stadium costs. If they hadn't, they would have faced a hostile political process to get approval for a new stadium. It'll be grass.

The Sounders are also considering building their own stadium which will have a proper grass surface. As for New England, I'm not sure Bob Kraft even knows he owns a MLS team, let alone where or what they play on.

Canary10
10-20-2016, 08:42 AM
It's a troubling trend in MLS that we are getting more plastic pitches and shared stadiums again.

burlington Red
10-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Portland has a plastic pitch due to the weather ... it just rains to much. Portland shares its field with college football as well, although 4-5 games instead of 10

You can have quality pitches in cities were it rains a lot, just check out cities like Cardiff and Manchester, notoriously wet cites in the UK...

Areathrasher
10-20-2016, 08:55 AM

The issue with Portland's stadium, along with what Oynx said, is that it sits right above a water table which makes digging down and grass growth an issue. It's not impossible but apparently massively expensive, at least that's what their owner has said previously.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2016, 09:13 AM
It's a troubling trend in MLS that we are getting more plastic pitches and shared stadiums again.

Yes MLS but even worse here at home will be the optics of groundshare with our game if (but hopefully when) the CPL actually partners with CFL. Great for more Canadian footy but a lot of people won't understand how good we had it with our stadium before groundshare.

Red4ever
10-20-2016, 09:35 AM
So, it's your 'feeling' up against the $3.1 billion personal net worth and soundly established business acumen of one Arthur Blank.

I'm sure Mr. Blank isn't worried in the slightest.

BTW Arthur Blank is, like, my favorite person in sports. Period

I guarantee short of acting like complete buffoons, Altanta supporters will be treated like gold.

Canary10
10-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Yes MLS but even worse here at home will be the optics of groundshare with our game if (but hopefully when) the CPL actually partners with CFL. Great for more Canadian footy but a lot of people won't understand how good we had it with our stadium before groundshare.

Are all the CPL teams going to be connected to and/or run by CFL teams? Certain irony in that if that's the case.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Are all the CPL teams going to be connected to and/or run by CFL teams? Certain irony in that if that's the case.

Here. Certain irony here in Toronto. Most of the rest of the country doesn't see any conflict or antagonism between sports.

But there is no confirmation as yet of how many would be connected or how close that connection would be. It's all speculation and planning stages still.

Canary10
10-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Here. Certain irony here in Toronto. Most of the rest of the country doesn't see any conflict or antagonism between sports.

But there is no confirmation as yet of how many would be connected or how close that connection would be. It's all speculation and planning stages still.

Yeah, fair enough. It actually makes a lot of sense, but still leaves the unfortunate thing of soccer teams playing on plastic most of the place.

greatwhitenorf
10-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Yeah, fair enough. It actually makes a lot of sense, but still leaves the unfortunate thing of soccer teams playing on plastic most of the place.

Oh, come on. You're fretting far too easily. Ottawa Redblacks and Fury owner and bon vivant Jeff Hunt is a huge fan of playing on plastic. No problems there attracting fans:

http://wpmedia.ottawacitizen.com/2014/11/jeff-hunt-president-at-oseg-sports-with-his-date-jennifer-e1416157653558.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

OgtheDim
10-20-2016, 04:22 PM
BTW Arthur Blank is, like, my favorite person in sports. Period

I guarantee short of acting like complete buffoons, Altanta supporters will be treated like gold.

Its his kids I'm worried about - guy is old and his love for soccer came with his most recent wife.

greatwhitenorf
10-20-2016, 04:22 PM

A lot of people in the hinterland hate soccer. It's the most polarizing sport out there. Mostly out of fear, fear that it will come in and disrupt the established sporting order, especially football and hockey fans.

Look at how a grass playing surface is killing the Argonauts hopes.

Fort York Redcoat
10-21-2016, 07:41 AM
A lot of people in the hinterland hate soccer. It's the most polarizing sport out there. Mostly out of fear, fear that it will come in and disrupt the established sporting order, especially football and hockey fans.

Look at how a grass playing surface is killing the Argonauts hopes.

I'm sure they do hate soccer. A "lot" of them. But most don't even register it enough to hate it. That's not antagonism it's just ignorance of what else is out there and comfort with what they know.

What's with the pic above? Weird.

TFC Tifoso
10-21-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm sure they do hate soccer. A "lot" of them. But most don't even register it enough to hate it. That's not antagonism it's just ignorance of what else is out there and comfort with what they know.

What's with the pic above? Weird.

looks to be picture evidence of how the Redblacks and Fury owner doesn't mind playing on, ahem, plastic......

Canary10
10-21-2016, 09:43 AM
looks to be picture evidence of how the Redblacks and Fury owner doesn't mind playing on, ahem, plastic......

Oh man.

greatwhitenorf
10-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I thought it would be reassuring to put a face onto this issue. And what a happy face that is. Not only do his football and soccer teams draw well playing on plastic, Jeff is one of the men behind that proposed Trans-Canada Kickball League. This nation’s Great Leap Forward in soccer.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

And a shpritz of disappearing foam.

Fort York Redcoat
10-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I thought it would be reassuring to put a face onto this issue. And what a happy face that is. Not only do his football and soccer teams draw well playing on plastic, Jeff is one of the men behind that proposed Trans-Canada Kickball League. This nation’s Great Leap Forward in soccer.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

And a shpritz of disappearing foam.

Thanks for sharing. I wish him all the luck as well.

greatwhitenorf
10-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Careful what you wish for.

SoccMan2
10-22-2016, 08:44 AM
I was talking to a Friend of mine who lives in Hamilton and lives pretty close to Hamilton's new Tim Horton's Field and he was saying that other than the Ticat's games there he has not noticed much of anything else happening there, so how does a publicly funded stadium make money with a main tenant that only uses the stadium like what 10 times a year? I'm sure it's rented out for community use like youth and high school teams and adult league sports and stuff but can a stadium like this make money from 10 CFL games and then renting the field out to community sports? When BMO Field had only TFC as the only tenant at least they had TFC had about 20 home dates, so I can't see how a stadium like Tim Hortons Field makes money.

Ivy
10-22-2016, 12:37 PM
I was talking to a Friend of mine who lives in Hamilton and lives pretty close to Hamilton's new Tim Horton's Field and he was saying that other than the Ticat's games there he has not noticed much of anything else happening there, so how does a publicly funded stadium make money with a main tenant that only uses the stadium like what 10 times a year? I'm sure it's rented out for community use like youth and high school teams and adult league sports and stuff but can a stadium like this make money from 10 CFL games and then renting the field out to community sports? When BMO Field had only TFC as the only tenant at least they had TFC had about 20 home dates, so I can't see how a stadium like Tim Hortons Field makes money.
Well for one, you're comparing downtown Toronto to the ghetto in Hamilton. Different operating costs.

BelfastBoy
10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Ivor Wynne was used by my highschool football team, they use it for soccer too. I'm sure the field gets quite a bit of community use.

Pookie
10-22-2016, 04:25 PM

No idea

This is the fallacy that most economic studies point to when billionaires argue that tax dollars be used for stadiums. Virtually all find that there is no positive economic impact despite the claims.

OgtheDim
10-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Pitch does look nice though.

BelfastBoy
10-22-2016, 07:33 PM
CFL does not tear up a grass field like its American counterpart. The players spend so much time running on and off the field after going 2 and out that the grass is hardly affected. I think we're gonna be fine here folks :)

Its ironic that the NFL is playing 3 games in England this year, trying desperately to expand their brand in a staunchly football market. Meanwhile the Argos are playing second fiddle to TFC at BMO. Funny how history works.

greatwhitenorf
10-22-2016, 09:30 PM
CFL does not tear up a grass field like its American counterpart. The players spend so much time running on and off the field after going 2 and out that the grass is hardly affected. I think we're gonna be fine here folks :)

Its ironic that the NFL is playing 3 games in England this year, trying desperately to expand their brand in a staunchly football market. Meanwhile the Argos are playing second fiddle to TFC at BMO. Funny how history works.

There's nothing desperate about the NFL's move to London. It's been years in the making and with Spurs new stadium being tailor made for the NFL with a retractrable grass pitch to allow a lower NFL playing surface, they finally have a proper showcase stadium for the sport. Look for a franchise to take root in Norf London soon. Germany soon after.

greatwhitenorf
10-22-2016, 09:34 PM

The crux of the biscuit when it comes to the CFL.

It's all just some sort of publicly-funded, cross-Canada charitable cause to cure the horrible defliction of CTB.

Chronic Tractor Butt.

OgtheDim
10-23-2016, 08:12 AM
https://twitter.com/aeKirts/status/789910051712602114

Don't we have an NFL discussion forum somewhere?

sn0re
11-06-2016, 09:14 PM
We have a 3 day window between Grey Cup and MLS playoffs. I wonder how the pitch will fare

Auzzy
11-06-2016, 09:45 PM
As AWESOME as it is to make it to the conference finals for the first time - it really sucks that those games are on a Tuesday (Nov. 22nd in Montreal) & Wednesday (Nov. 30th at BMO Field).

Please remind me: As far as I know, MLS playoffs (other than the knockout round) have usually been on weekends, haven't they? So is our crappy schedule due to a CFL division final being on Sunday Nov. 20th -- in case the Argos had made it to the playoffs -- and due to the Grey Cup being Sunday Nov. 27th at BMO Field?

That's obviously a major impact on the field & our team -- just saying. And I believe the Grey Cup will have ads & other stuff painted on the field (unlike the regular season games). Hopefully we don't get a muddy day on the 27th.

EDIT the MLS western conference finals are on weekends BTW -- Nov. 20th & 27th. :(

pdogg
11-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Dates were set weeks ago, regardless of whether TFC was playing or not.

Now, did the league ask all the EC teams what days would work in advance, and TFC vetoed a weekend game, forcing EC teams into a weekday match? (tinfoil hat)

Cuchulain
11-06-2016, 10:03 PM
I'm surprised they are not going with Rogers centre on account of what the weather could be like. Personally I'm happy its BMO

Auzzy
11-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Dates were set weeks ago, regardless of whether TFC was playing or not.

Now, did the league ask all the EC teams what days would work in advance, and TFC vetoed a weekend game, forcing EC teams into a weekday match? (tinfoil hat)

I don't think it's tinfoil hat. The schedule impacts were already talked about when the MLS playoff schedule was set weeks ago. (And obviously TFC has been in a playoff position for a long time, so they would have to consider it.) Now I have no idea if there were additional reasons, perhaps some other stadium conflicts in other cities, or broadcast considerations. But the CFL schedule definitely played a roll for the MLS eastern conference scheduling.

Redcoe15
11-06-2016, 10:15 PM
How 'bout a change in dates? The second leg of the East Final on the Saturday or Sunday to better prepare for the field?

greatwhitenorf
11-06-2016, 10:19 PM
We have a 3 day window between Grey Cup and MLS playoffs. I wonder how the pitch will fare

Shouldn't be a problem. Just move the Grey Cup game.

Either to warm, welcoming Hamilton where people give an eff about the CeffL, or to another date to accommodate BMO Field's core product.

glaze
11-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Discussed this far too much during the game. I guess the blowout win, kinda took any element of suspense or tension out of the game.
Until the email went out I was thinking we'd be at Rogers Centre. Just the potential for a huge crowd, the weather, the condition of the field, etc, made us think a venue change may be coming. We even logged in to purchase out tix right away in part to see if the game was still at BMO.
I am worried about the pitch. You have the football game, the practices, the half time show where they'll cart out the stage, the logos, the lines, etc.
3 days in the winter is not enough time to turn it around. But then again, maybe they wont paint the logos on, or the end zones, and perhaps we'll all be suprised. Wonder if they have an orange ball to use in case we're playing in a snow storm.
I had my doubts all year for the groundshare, but it turned out to be generally fine. And I'll take a few faded logos over being in the Dome every time.

sn0re
11-06-2016, 10:38 PM
As AWESOME as it is to make it to the conference finals for the first time - it really sucks that those games are on a Tuesday (Nov. 22nd in Montreal) & Wednesday (Nov. 30th at BMO Field).

Please remind me: As far as I know, MLS playoffs (other than the knockout round) have usually been on weekends, haven't they? So is our crappy schedule due to a CFL division final being on Sunday Nov. 20th -- in case the Argos had made it to the playoffs -- and due to the Grey Cup being Sunday Nov. 27th at BMO Field?

That's obviously a major impact on the field & our team -- just saying. And I believe the Grey Cup will have ads & other stuff painted on the field (unlike the regular season games). Hopefully we don't get a muddy day on the 27th.

EDIT the MLS western conference finals are on weekends BTW -- Nov. 20th & 27th. :(

I believe its still on the agreement that there will be no logos on the field for CFL regular season and Grey Cup. Though I need someone to confirm this

zorsofstesab
11-07-2016, 01:37 PM
I have a bad feeling that the field will be in poor shape for the game. Grey cup teams will likely have training sessions leading up-to the game. Foot traffic will be heavy with players, media and technical in preparation for the game. Winter weather will be approaching. Field will have morning dew and be wet and soft. Field markings/logos could be hard to remove if 300lb-400lb players make permanent divets in the field. I hope this does not lead to a shit show for our game. Even though talk has been that the ground share has worked all it will take is 1 instance as big as this event to prove it fails..

ryan
11-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Seattle home date was moved to 22nd due to Seahawks playing at 4:25pm.

There's alot of room for issues with certain teams on weekends this time of year. Obviously Seattle as mentioned (Revs could have this problem too with a stadium share), but what if the Argos were a 1st place team? They'd have a date at home on the 20th when we could have potentially hosted a 1st leg of the East Final should NYRB advanced. Very easily can clash this time of year.

Not that there is alot of crossover in fandom, but if you have any sliver of preference to TFC, you want the Argos to fail ever year to avoid this.

OgtheDim
11-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Well somebody is confident

https://twitter.com/TFC_GroundsDept/status/795749623776231430

Pookie
11-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Certainly a test for the grounds crew but let's have some faith. There is a back up pitch available here too.

Ironic that the Montreal game will likely be played on the equivalent of cement painted green amidst falling debris (after clinching in a baseball stadium) and we are concerned about paint on one of the best natural surfaces in the league.

Bigger things to worry about. Like booking off Thursday from work ;)

See you at the game.

OgtheDim
11-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Hmmm....back up pitch in and down in 3 days? Doubtful.

Hey, I think if anybody can do it its this crew but the variables involved are numerous.

As I've been saying for months, we will see.

Auzzy
11-07-2016, 06:04 PM

What does "100% coverage" mean, that all spots are fully re-grown?

Auzzy
11-07-2016, 06:05 PM
I think the Olympic Stadium turf was replaced, wasn't it? Not even close to great of course, but I think it's better than it used to be...?

greatwhitenorf
11-07-2016, 11:02 PM

RE-GERMINATE! RE-GERMINATE!

http://www.dmmultimedia.com/dalek/Daleks_Garden_sun_NSD_004.jpg

denime
11-08-2016, 07:01 AM
What does "100% coverage" mean, that all spots are fully re-grown?

No,that means for Gray Cup they will cover grass with artificial turf,so TFC can have good playing surface :)

Fort York Redcoat
11-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Certainly a test for the grounds crew but let's have some faith. There is a back up pitch available here too.

Ironic that the Montreal game will likely be played on the equivalent of cement painted green amidst falling debris (after clinching in a baseball stadium) and we are concerned about paint on one of the best natural surfaces in the league.

Bigger things to worry about. Like booking off Thursday from work ;)

See you at the game.

Hmmm....back up pitch in and down in 3 days? Doubtful.

Hey, I think if anybody can do it its this crew but the variables involved are numerous.

As I've been saying for months, we will see.

The back up pitch is a non starter. It's in reserve for the seasons half way point. The scheme was and so far will be for next year, a switch out or swap mid way during a break in the schedule longer than a week. For roots to take it requires weeks, not 3 days. They could put the new sod downs but the slip and slide would be hilarity if it wasn't suppose to be serious.

I am very confident that whatever state the pitch is in after the Grey Cup will be better than what would happen if they switched it out for a pretty but not functional new sod.

So...that's something.

Initial B
11-08-2016, 08:33 AM
I think the Olympic Stadium turf was replaced, wasn't it? Not even close to great of course, but I think it's better than it used to be...?
They replaced all the Turf in all the Stadiums involved in the 2015WWC just prior to the tournament, so the surface should be less than 2 years old. If it's the same stuff they use here in Ottawa, I have yet to see an injury at a Fury game due to the turf.

ensco
11-08-2016, 08:38 AM
This could exceed the best intentions of any plan. If we get heavy rain leading up to the to the Grey Cup... (to be fair they screwed up in 1950, didn't put a tarp down pregame)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXG4EkBkaw

Terrible conditions are a relatively common occurence at the Grey Cup: the 1962 Fog Bowl at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto, the 1965 Wind Bowl at Exhibition Stadium, the 1977 Ice Bowl at Olympic Stadium in Montréal, the 1982 Rain Bowl at Exhibition Stadium and the 1996 Snow Bowl at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton.

The Wind Bowl and Ice Bowl deserve a bit of attention - TFC should try to think about a game plan for those, if they happen.

Wagner
11-08-2016, 08:53 AM
the swap out of turf requires a week.

logical if you think of it.

1 day to harvest
1 day to ship
1 day to unroll
few days of watering/stitching/establishing/etc.

otherwise it'll be just loose sod that will slip around.

Pookie
11-08-2016, 09:06 AM
The back up pitch is a non starter. It's in reserve for the seasons half way point. The scheme was and so far will be for next year, a switch out or swap mid way during a break in the schedule longer than a week. For roots to take it requires weeks, not 3 days. They could put the new sod downs but the slip and slide would be hilarity if it wasn't suppose to be serious.

I don't know that is true.

This article suggests the timeline for when the temporary sod surface was put in for Real Madrid was about 3 days.

Laid on a Wednesday, RM practiced on it that night. Game played on Friday. The sod had a 10 day lifespan.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/soccer/2009/08/06/real_madrid_gets_the_grass_that_toronto_fc_can_onl y_hope_for.html?client=safari

Fort York Redcoat
11-08-2016, 09:09 AM

This article suggests the timeline for when the temporary sod surface was put in for Real Madrid was about 3 days.

Laid on a Wednesday, RM practiced on it that night. Game played on Friday. The sod had a 10 day lifespan.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/soccer/2009/08/06/real_madrid_gets_the_grass_that_toronto_fc_can_onl y_hope_for.html?client=safari

Yes. The sod was laid. That surface had not taken root properly but meh it was for a friendly. Real Madrid asked for real grass and they got it.

Auzzy
11-08-2016, 09:14 AM

In that case, they could plan ahead because they knew exactly what they would be doing. The sod was all there & ready to go.

Plus they didn't have to remove the old surface. The sod just went on top of the plastic.

In this case, do they harvest the sod in Hamilton and truck it up just in case the surface will be destroyed? Surely not.

The plan here, if ever needed, is for a real heavy-duty operation, not a temp quick fix that gets thrown on top of the existing surface. They mentioned the replacement sod would be cut extra thick, so it lies better and slips less. The old sod is cut out accordingly. I don't think this would have to lie and settle as long therefore, but I think this is a major operation that takes a while. Maybe they don't even roll the new sod if it's so thick, but that means lots of truck runs.

They may have some quick fix solutions though that they haven't told us about. Most likely cut out & replace some smaller sections, if needed. That works if the damage is limited to smaller areas. Fingers crossed.

Fort York Redcoat
11-08-2016, 09:18 AM
In that case, they could plan ahead because they knew exactly what they would be doing. The sod was all there & ready to go.

Plus they didn't have to remove the old surface. The sod just went on top of the plastic.

In this case, do they harvest the sod in Hamilton and truck it up just in case the surface will be destroyed? Surely not.

The plan here, if ever needed, is for a real heavy-duty operation, not a temp quick fix that gets thrown on top of the existing surface. They mentioned the replacement sod would be cut extra thick, so it lies better and slips less. The old sod is cut out accordingly. I don't think this would have to lie and settle as long therefore, but I think this is a major operation that takes a while. Maybe they don't even roll the new sod if it's so thick, but that means lots of truck runs.

They may have some quick fix solutions though that they haven't told us about. Most likely cut out & replace some smaller sections, if needed. That works if the damage is limited to smaller areas. Fingers crossed.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/13373P/232-3-tape.jpg?boundedSize=310

Auzzy
11-08-2016, 09:20 AM
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/13373P/232-3-tape.jpg?boundedSize=310

Nah, duct tape is the Canadian way. You can even get that shit in green these days. Or maybe green painters tape?

Fort York Redcoat
11-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Nah, duct tape is the Canadian way. You can even get that shit in green these days. Or maybe green painters tape?

Ha! Painters tape would look seamless!

g:D

ensco
11-08-2016, 10:21 AM
As I think about this, the number one risk to us in terms of conditions is wind, given our recent reliance on, or at least the threat of, long balls over the top to Altidore, and the likelihood of blustery conditions down there. I'd say there is a 50% chance of wind being a factor.

Pookie
11-08-2016, 10:54 AM
^ Wind would help Oduro wouldn't it?

Pookie
11-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Yes. The sod was laid. That surface had not taken root properly but meh it was for a friendly. Real Madrid asked for real grass and they got it.

You know the "it's working" so far reality?

I think they just went from 0 to 10 on the anxiety scale with two of the most high profile events at this time of year taking place 3 days from each other in what could be really challenging weather in the first year of the ground share.

You couldn't produce more testing circumstances for Leiweke's plan than this.

I will say that this is the fork in the road.

It either fails miserably and the no ground share camp grows louder or it works and we put this issue to bed forever.

Wagner
11-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Pookie,
you often say things like "put the issue to bed"

but as long as the risk is there, even minuscule, it will always haunt Soccer Purists.

it might rain a little on Grey Cup Sunday, and the field will likely be fine.
But there are many factors...no one can truly control anything outdoors.
There is always the risk of some fluke storm that no one has ever seen. and as long as there is a chance that the other tenant could ruin things, people will always wonder.

the issue will never be put to bed until TFC is the sole tenant of a facility.

Fort York Redcoat
11-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Yes in reference to both posts above this is the biggest spotlight the pitch will have this year since the intro of groundshare but this will not be put to bed any more than the "pro groundshare" camp will be unanimous in what's to be deemed acceptable pitch quality.

This yearning for definitive closure is folly on interwebs.

But hey, there's plenty of interwebs out there.

Pookie
11-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Pookie,

but as long as the risk is there, even minuscule, it will always haunt Soccer Purists.

There is always the risk of some fluke storm that no one has ever seen. and as long as there is a chance that the other tenant could ruin things, people will always wonder.

Well, I guess if you want to cross your fingers and hope for a bad bounce over the next 10 years then you are entitled to do that.

But for most... under this spotlight, under these weather conditions, under this time crunch... if they can make it run smooth, they have proven Leiweke's dream can work.

We would all agree that this is THE extreme test... with the most on the line for both leagues.... that could have been designed.

Fort York Redcoat
11-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Well, I guess if you want to cross your fingers and hope for a bad bounce over the next 10 years then you are entitled to do that.

But for most... under this spotlight, under these weather conditions, under this time crunch... if they can make it run smooth, they have proven Leiweke's dream can work.

We would all agree that this is THE extreme test... with the most on the line for both leagues.... that could have been designed.

Mud bowl. Sure. Worse weather this time of year but if you're trying to say this year wasn't ideal weather wise, that this season was the worst that this pitch will see...

might as well ask for a thread close. Both are as likely as the other.

This isn't about hoping for the worst. It's also not some experiment with a definite end. If that's what you're after, I've said before you would be wasting posts here. It's not like we're removing posts about the great conditions we've enjoyed this year. The conditions will be what they are and all will be able to see them and make their own opinion on it.

Oldtimer
11-08-2016, 02:08 PM
This is a new thread to discuss pitch sharing issues only with respect to grass, markings on the field, etc. This includes any issues with respect to sharing with CFL, lacrosse, rugby, various other types of gridiron, soccer uses oustide of MLS, etc.

No discussions of other sports, their attendance, etc. is to be covered in this thread. Instead discuss those in the "All Sports Talk" sections. Any trolling or off-topic posts will be deleted.

Somebody forgot the rules of this thread and their post has been deleted.

Red CB Toronto
11-08-2016, 02:11 PM
A major issue is if it dips below zero, thus the field became hard as a rock. It becomes much harder to repair/fix if chunks get pulled up. It prove to be a challenge.

Pookie,

Phil
11-08-2016, 02:16 PM
A major issue is if it dips below zero, thus the field became hard as a rock. It becomes much harder to repair/fix if chunks get pulled up. It prove to be a challenge.

Thats why there is 42km of glycol heating pipes under there ;)

Fort York Redcoat
11-08-2016, 02:21 PM

It's a myth. There's really just a bed of loonies under there.

Red CB Toronto
11-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Sounds perfect , none of those English style pitch inspections will be needed ( :

Wagner
11-08-2016, 02:41 PM
It's a myth. There's really just a bed of loonies under there.

https://media.giphy.com/media/n59dQcO9yaaaY/giphy.gif

Fort York Redcoat
11-08-2016, 02:42 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/n59dQcO9yaaaY/giphy.gif

^When Drogba comes to town.

Phil
11-08-2016, 02:49 PM
I didn't just pull a number out of my ass either:

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/stnew/article/2012spr20.pdf

CBTFC
11-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Crossing my fingers for a blinding snowstorm on November 30th!

:scarf::flare::drum:

OgtheDim
11-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Crossing my fingers for a blinding snowstorm on November 30th!

:scarf::flare::drum:

Only starting during the game time - I want to get there.

glaze
11-08-2016, 07:25 PM
The "mud bowl" was played in a different era. I dont think with modern drainage that stadiums have, that it's possible. But damage due to overuse in the leadup to the game, and during the grey cup itself could be a factor. As are remnants of lines, and logos, if they are painted on. Who knows what the agreement is for the GC regarding the field.
That said, will we really notice? I'm sure I'll spend most of the GC thinking of how the grass is holding up, but once we start the game against Montreal, I won't be thinking of faint lines, or a few divots.

greatwhitenorf
11-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Somebody forgot the rules of this thread and their post has been deleted.

Hardly, my darling. I'm probably part of the reason the old thread got shuttered. That was lazy editing.

And my conclusion was that field sharing issues at critical junctures like conference finals might be a moot point in future if the Grey Cup isn't played in Toronto for some years to come.

Wouldn't it be better to let the field freeze hard for the Grey Cup so they don't rip up the turf? Then crank up the heat pipes the minute the game is over.

Fort York Redcoat
11-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Hardly, my darling. I'm probably part of the reason the old thread got shuttered. That was lazy editing.

And my conclusion was that field sharing issues at critical junctures like conference finals might be a moot point in future if the Grey Cup isn't played in Toronto for some years to come.

Wouldn't it be better to let the field freeze hard for the Grey Cup so they don't rip up the turf? Then crank up the heat pipes the minute the game is over.

Hardly a conclusion and it was an off topic troll followed by a final line about the pitch. Leave it out next time or infractions will follow.

I am interested to see if your above question is how they indeed deal with the pitch or if its possible.

Red CB Toronto
11-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Hardly a conclusion and it was an off topic troll followed by a final line about the pitch. Leave it out next time or infractions will follow.

I am interested to see if your above question is how they indeed deal with the pitch or if its possible.

I am no pitch expert/grounds keeper but I wonder if turning the heat on and off multiple time in a short period of time would have a negative effect on it. I am just wondering out loud. Anyone know?

C.Ronaldo
11-09-2016, 10:27 AM
I am no pitch expert/grounds keeper but I wonder if turning the heat on and off multiple time in a short period of time would have a negative effect on it. I am just wondering out loud. Anyone know?

they probably keep the soil a consistent temp. its not cold enough yet anyways.

grass can go dormant and come out many times

look at your lawn, its grows best in this weather, mines the greenest its been all year. (except for the damn squirls digging it up)

greatwhitenorf
11-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Might be skunks or raccoons digging out and eating chafer beetle grubs. It's not a bad thing for them to do. The grubs will ruin the roots of the grass. Just flatten it out again and be sure to re-seed and top dress in the spring.

denime
11-09-2016, 01:35 PM
they probably keep the soil a consistent temp. its not cold enough yet anyways.

grass can go dormant and come out many times

look at your lawn, its grows best in this weather, mines the greenest its been all year. (except for the damn squirls digging it up)

Drove by BMO last night,around midnight, all lights were on,those special heating lights were covering almost whole field, maintenance crew is really working hard to keep that pitch in the best possible shape.

Red CB Toronto
11-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Drove by BMO last night,around midnight, all lights were on,those special heating lights were covering almost whole field, maintenance crew is really working hard to keep that pitch in the best possible shape.

Plus for the Grey Cup week, its not just the game, the teams practice on the field Wednesday thru Saturday.

zorsofstesab
11-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Plus for the Grey Cup week, its not just the game, the teams practice on the field Wednesday thru Saturday.

Yikes......tell me this is not true?

C.Ronaldo
11-10-2016, 12:05 PM
[/B][/U]

the throwball teams?

what the hell!

Smokecell
11-12-2016, 12:24 PM
So while we're all hear worried about the field getting torn up here's another good question...being as the grey cup is out of the argos scope will the CFL be allowed to paint in endzones for the "big" event? That would most definitely show come wednesday...

Areathrasher
11-12-2016, 02:08 PM
So while we're all hear worried about the field getting torn up here's another good question...being as the grey cup is out of the argos scope will the CFL be allowed to paint in endzones for the "big" event? That would most definitely show come wednesday...
How so? The end zones are artificial turf that are covered by the first few rows of seats in the south and by the North patio during TFC games.

Auzzy
11-12-2016, 06:58 PM
How so? The end zones are artificial turf that are covered by the first few rows of seats in the south and by the North patio during TFC games.

No, the south end zone is partly grass, and is not fully covered by seats during TFC games.

ryan
11-14-2016, 01:14 PM
[/B][/U]

It's just practice mate, calm down. Not going to do a whole lot of team on team contact and tackling 3 days before the title game.

C.Ronaldo
11-14-2016, 02:02 PM
It's just practice mate, calm down. Not going to do a whole lot of team on team contact and tackling 3 days before the title game.
I have to!!!

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/b4/b4abeed53b688ce75865c950cf110f0c379e23ea9952546327 6c096dd8057a2d.jpg

greatwhitenorf
11-15-2016, 07:27 AM
And it's not like the CFL's big guys are built like the galleons of the NFL. More like pocket cruisers, doing light drills or walk throughs in sneakers.

zorsofstesab
11-15-2016, 01:31 PM

44 man roster + 10 practice squad + 10 or so coaches/trainers = an average 64 people at once on the field at any given time. Using the whole field one half they may do offence and the other half defense/special teams. Each practice let's say = 2 hours x 4 days of training x 2 teams = 16 hours of grass time. Worried yet? Now each player may change cleats from a multi-stud to 6 stud so they can get a grip on the field (ie digging in) to see what best cleat works. No turf shoes here. Lines will be painted, emblems/logos (CFL and sponsors) will be visible in big areas of the field. Worried now? All this with the hopes that the grass is dry because if it is not we are in for a shit storm.

So mate, I have a reason to be worried and so should everyone else.

Red CB Toronto
11-15-2016, 08:30 PM
BMO Field will be spared during Grey Cup week, at least two days of practice I found out will be else where. it was confirmed to me the Wednesday will be at Birchmount and the Thursday at Monarch Park. Not sure about the Friday.

MightyDM
11-15-2016, 11:14 PM

straw man. It's only a test if it rains, a lot, snows, or both. Some seasons at TFC it felt like all it did was rain. Would the pitch have survived that sort of weather with a CFL game? The Vancouver rainout for example? I am sceptical.

lets hope that's not tested next weekend and the following week.

MightyDM
11-15-2016, 11:16 PM
I didn't just pull a number out of my ass either:

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/stnew/article/2012spr20.pdf

42 km would be a long intestine

ryan
11-16-2016, 10:36 AM
44 man roster + 10 practice squad + 10 or so coaches/trainers = an average 64 people at once on the field at any given time. Using the whole field one half they may do offence and the other half defense/special teams. Each practice let's say = 2 hours x 4 days of training x 2 teams = 16 hours of grass time. Worried yet? Now each player may change cleats from a multi-stud to 6 stud so they can get a grip on the field (ie digging in) to see what best cleat works. No turf shoes here. Lines will be painted, emblems/logos (CFL and sponsors) will be visible in big areas of the field. Worried now? All this with the hopes that the grass is dry because if it is not we are in for a shit storm.

So mate, I have a reason to be worried and so should everyone else.

I'm not worried and you're being a bit daft. You must not follow football well if you think they will be practicing in such an aggressive manner before a championship. It's not happening. It's walk throughs and patty cakes. They aren't tearing up the grass this week, guarantee it.

Red4ever
11-16-2016, 11:38 AM
I'm not worried.

99 problems but a pitch ain't one.

Try the veal.

Pookie
11-17-2016, 06:48 AM
straw man. It's only a test if it rains, a lot, snows, or both. Some seasons at TFC it felt like all it did was rain. Would the pitch have survived that sort of weather with a CFL game? The Vancouver rainout for example? I am sceptical.

lets hope that's not tested next weekend and the following week.

What if, what if....

Why do all the what ifs have to focus on the negative outcome?

Something that helps worriers is to look at the probability of a possible outcome.

Surely, the overwhelming evidence is in favour of a positive one. So yes, we could have a monsoon and they could ruin it. But we have no evidence to say that the pitch couldn't survive or would be irreparably damaged. Or that a monsoon would even happen.

Another strategy is to examine what you would do if the negative thing imagined happens. So, let's say we have that monsoon.

Real Madrid practiced on sod that was laid that morning and they played on it 3 days later. Or, get this. They delay the game by a day or two until the pitch is ready. Inconvenient? Sure. But if the goal is playing on a legit surface, done.

Worst case scenario can be planned for and overcome on the rare chance that it happens.

You can keep worrying. I'm confident there is a solution

MightyDM
11-17-2016, 07:56 AM
What if, what if....

Why do all the what ifs have to focus on the negative outcome?

Something that helps worriers is to look at the probability of a possible outcome.

Surely, the overwhelming evidence is in favour of a positive one. So yes, we could have a monsoon and they could ruin it. But we have no evidence to say that the pitch couldn't survive or would be irreparably damaged. Or that a monsoon would even happen.

Another strategy is to examine what you would do if the negative thing imagined happens. So, let's say we have that monsoon.

Real Madrid practiced on sod that was laid that morning and they played on it 3 days later. Or, get this. They delay the game by a day or two until the pitch is ready. Inconvenient? Sure. But if the goal is playing on a legit surface, done.

Worst case scenario can be planned for and overcome on the rare chance that it happens.

You can keep worrying. I'm confident there is a solution

The solution is to return this stadium to its original purpose: soccer specific.

The weather this year has been extraordinary, and the Argos season short ( no playoffs ). These are the best possible conditions, almost an anomaly. Given the weather we have experienced at BMO most years, we have to assume significant rain and the likelihood of a torrential downpour as those are the more normal conditions, a regular occurrence.

in those circumstances, it is highly probable that CFL football will cause significant damage to the pitch. We know that because the CFL itself chooses artificial turf. If there is significant damage to the pitch, it will create immediate problems for TFC. If there is significant damage to the pitch more than once there will be calls for turf. And that is a huge risk to this club.

so no, unusually perfect weather isn't a test and does not give any evidence about the underlying problem and risks. We have to wait for typical weather to return, and that should concern all of us.

Bobo
11-17-2016, 09:01 AM
The solution is to return this stadium to its original purpose: soccer specific.

The weather this year has been extraordinary, and the Argos season short ( no playoffs ). These are the best possible conditions, almost an anomaly. Given the weather we have experienced at BMO most years, we have to assume significant rain and the likelihood of a torrential downpour as those are the more normal conditions, a regular occurrence.

in those circumstances, it is highly probable that CFL football will cause significant damage to the pitch. We know that because the CFL itself chooses artificial turf. If there is significant damage to the pitch, it will create immediate problems for TFC. If there is significant damage to the pitch more than once there will be calls for turf. And that is a huge risk to this club.

so no, unusually perfect weather isn't a test and does not give any evidence about the underlying problem and risks. We have to wait for typical weather to return, and that should concern all of us.

Winner.

From the data I've seen, Toronto hasn't had such low precipitation numbers since the 80s at least. While its awesome in the short-term, this "success" will be used an alibi for years to come.

Pookie
11-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Typical weather? We live in rainy Vancouver do we?

The original intent was multi use. Anyways, a rainy rugby game or international event or a herd of wild gophers could intervene.

Not worth worrying about.

Areathrasher
11-17-2016, 09:11 AM
If we are assuming things...

And if we assume that a torrential downpour and Argos game will damage the surface...

Why don't we assume that the ground crew will be able to repair it sufficiently in time for the next TFC game. The grounds crew deserve faith.

MightyDM
11-17-2016, 11:12 AM
The grounds crew are fabulous and may be able to repair the damage. True. But suggesting that the lack of damage to the pitch in the best year for weather we have had for TFC games proves that there will not be any when the normal weather returns is rather obviously nonsensical. This year proves nothing, and as I said above, there is a reason the CFL plays on turf.

OgtheDim
11-20-2016, 04:27 PM
If the weather in a week is like the weather today, we'll see how good this grounds crew is.

Red CB Toronto
11-20-2016, 04:35 PM
If the weather in a week is like the weather today, we'll see how good this grounds crew is.

Having just watched the CFL East Final up in Ottawa, if weather like that sweeps in, it could get interesting.

MightyDM
11-20-2016, 04:37 PM

oh it's all fine. Pookie said so, never rains nor snows in old T.O

ryan
11-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Sadly the Argos at BMO is very permanent, so as much as people want it to return to soccer specific you can keep dreaming. Larry and Bell aren't pissin away money on BMO for a temporary home.

P.s part of Argos to BMO included 3 grey cups in 10 years.

greatwhitenorf
11-20-2016, 09:53 PM
"...aren't pissin' away money...".

Ha ha ha. That's great.

But they already are. Is there a point where all this pissin' away might have a deleterious effect on the playing surface, in terms of budget cutbacks for field maintenance?

greatwhitenorf
11-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Having just watched the CFL East Final up in Ottawa, if weather like that sweeps in, it could get interesting.

It won't snow here but rain is now forecast for the four days prior to Grey Cup Sunday, with overnite temps dipping to the freezing mark. Sunday is expected to be dry but quite cool. Then, more rain prior to the TFC-Mtl second leg.

If the rain was strong enough during CFL practice days, is it possible the workouts could be moved out of BMO Field?

Red CB Toronto
11-21-2016, 12:00 AM
It won't snow here but rain is now forecast for the four days prior to Grey Cup Sunday, with overnite temps dipping to the freezing mark. Sunday is expected to be dry but quite cool. Then, more rain prior to the TFC-Mtl second leg.

If the rain was strong enough during CFL practice days, is it possible the workouts could be moved out of BMO Field?

They are already scheduled for other locations on Wednesday and Thursday. That has been in the cards for a while.

OgtheDim
11-21-2016, 08:41 AM
The CFL is not interested in a bad field for the Grey Cup so they will protect as much as they can as well.

Fort York Redcoat
11-21-2016, 09:54 AM

At least one team should and could practice out of downsview. Both could and should. Argos aren't using their new facilities.

greatwhitenorf
11-21-2016, 10:59 AM
The CFL is not interested in a bad field for the Grey Cup so they will protect as much as they can as well.

I'm sure the CFL won't give a hoot what the field is like once the game is over. You don't have to look hard on-line to know that a number of their fans will wish for it to be an utter mess.

With all the rain forecast for the days before the final, the field will be soft on game day. Unless the grounds crew cover it and all practices are shifted elsewhere. Otherwise, the grounds crew have two cold wet days to patch it up. Trying to repair torn grass in late November hardly inspires confidence that Wednesday's game will be played in quality conditions.

Red CB Toronto
11-21-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm sure the CFL won't give a hoot what the field is like once the game is over. You don't have to look hard on-line to know that a number of their fans will wish for it to be an utter mess.

With all the rain forecast for the days before the final, the field will be soft on game day. Unless the grounds crew cover it and all practices are shifted elsewhere. Otherwise, the grounds crew have two cold wet days to patch it up. Trying to repair torn grass in late November hardly inspires confidence that Wednesday's game will be played in quality conditions.

I can assure you TFC will not be practicing on the BMO Field pitch for the two days after the Grey Cup. The grounds crew will be hard at work doing their things. Plus as I have mentioned above, not all the Grey Cup practices will be on it either.

ryan
11-21-2016, 02:59 PM
"...aren't pissin' away money...".

Ha ha ha. That's great.

But they already are. Is there a point where all this pissin' away might have a deleterious effect on the playing surface, in terms of budget cutbacks for field maintenance?

Hosting a grey cup is a profitable season no matter how dire things go, usually at least. You're also thinking too short, this wasn't a one year plan based on the work they've put in for Argos, which is my point.

As for the playing surface? It's held up all season and I see day to day how much goes into caring for it. So the opposite is happening, they have put more into the field than ever before. No cutbacks to the field are on anyone's radar at MLSE.

Red CB Toronto
11-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Quite honestly the Reds will be playing on a much better pitch by a 100 miles next Wednesday at BMO Field compared to what they will have to contend with tomorrow night at the Big O, a truly crappy piece of concrete carpet.

Pookie
11-21-2016, 08:58 PM
oh it's all fine. Pookie said so, never rains nor snows in old T.O

Yeah. That's what I said.

Back up pitch, sod options, expert grounds crew, examples of Real Madrid practicing on sod laid that morning, even delaying the game if we had to. Narry a word.

Maybe it's a Toronto "Military needs to shovel our snow" kind of thing but "pitch issues" are worldwide. Complaints about playing surfaces go all the way up through high profile UEFA games. Yet, the games either go on or are postponed.

I've never seen a championship game postponed indefinitely for playing surface issues. Sorry folks. No UEFA Championship game this year. It rained and last week, there was rugby game and we cannot for the life of us figure out a way to make the game happen at any point in the future.

Should we pause the game if a slide tackle brings up a "divot" and repair it on the spot on the chance that it affects play?

This topic reminds me of golfers in North America that complain about non-perfect playing conditions. Well Mr Snodgrass, why did you miss that putt? Standard grass blades are to be cut at 1/8th of an inch Brandel, and clearly there was one that was cut at 1/6th. I will be writing an angry letter.

Get dirty. Slog it out if you have to. Both teams are playing on it.

Fort York Redcoat
11-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Yeah. That's what I said.

Back up pitch, sod options, expert grounds crew, examples of Real Madrid practicing on sod laid that morning, even delaying the game if we had to. Narry a word.

Maybe it's a Toronto "Military needs to shovel our snow" kind of thing but "pitch issues" are worldwide. Complaints about playing surfaces go all the way up through high profile UEFA games. Yet, the games either go on or are postponed.

I've never seen a championship game postponed indefinitely for playing surface issues. Sorry folks. No UEFA Championship game this year. It rained and last week, there was rugby game and we cannot for the life of us figure out a way to make the game happen at any point in the future.

Should we pause the game if a slide tackle brings up a "divot" and repair it on the spot on the chance that it affects play?

This topic reminds me of golfers in North America that complain about non-perfect playing conditions. Well Mr Snodgrass, why did you miss that putt? Standard grass blades are to be cut at 1/8th of an inch Brandel, and clearly there was one that was cut at 1/6th. I will be writing an angry letter.

Get dirty. Slog it out if you have to. Both teams are playing on it.

Welcome back to this thread you see no use for.g:D

I take no issue with your "It's no that bad" stance except for the repeated Real Madrid reference as a positive one. That sod was real, yes, but it was no example of professionalism.

And look at the turf talk today at the Big O.

But if nobody thinks it an issue the thread will just go away.

Red CB Toronto
11-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Welcome back to this thread you see no use for.g:D

I take no issue with your "It's no that bad" stance except for the repeated Real Madrid reference as a positive one. That sod was real, yes, but it was no example of professionalism.

And look at the turf talk today at the Big O.

But if nobody thinks it an issue the thread will just go away.

I agree with Pete here, the grass at BMO could become an issue really quick over the next week. This is going to be its first real test with only two days between the Grey Cup and the Reds second leg. We just have to pray the weather holds up.

Onyx
11-22-2016, 01:03 PM
I agree with Pete here, the grass at BMO could become an issue really quick over the next week. This is going to be its first real test with only two days between the Grey Cup and the Reds second leg. We just have to pray the weather holds up.

more worried about massive rain storm right before gameday on tuesday than grey cup impacting the pitch (9degrees and sunny)

Pookie
11-22-2016, 01:37 PM

But again, what's the goal? A game played on a great surface?

If that is the case and the worst case scenario happens, what do they do? If they can't fix it in time, they postpone it till they can. So Wednesday becomes Thursday or Friday.

Eventually, the game gets played on the surface expected.

I don't see where the sky is falling.

Canary10
11-22-2016, 01:48 PM

If that is the case and the worst case scenario happens, what do they do? If they can't fix it in time, they postpone it till they can. So Wednesday becomes Thursday or Friday.

Postponing a match really would be sky is falling territory.

CBTFC
11-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Overall it's just a shame that they (i.e. venue, team owners, league, tv networks, whoever), didn't foresee the issue of having the Grey Cup and potential TFC game just a mere few days later in late November. Or, they full well knew the possibility and just didn't care.

It'll be a great shame to see worn down unnecessary brown spots all over the place. I thought the field looked fantastic for our home match over 3 weeks ago against NYCFC.

Pookie
11-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Postponing a match really would be sky is falling territory.

And how likely is either (postponing or sky falling)?

But if the rare thing happens, it happens in UEFA so I'm sure MLS could survive

Canary10
11-22-2016, 02:07 PM
And how likely is either (postponing or sky falling)?

But if the rare thing happens, it happens in UEFA so I'm sure MLS could survive

This is still TFC. I don't even want to answer the question of the likelihood of sky is falling events actually happening....

Pookie
11-22-2016, 02:15 PM
This is still TFC. I don't even want to answer the question of the likelihood of sky is falling events actually happening....

Touché

Fort York Redcoat
11-22-2016, 03:37 PM

Hahahaha

ok Pook. I think you've jumped the shark on this. There's nowhere to go here but posting "It's just a game".

I'm not saying the sky falls but are you saying thousands of peoples paid plans changing last minute wouldn't cause a stir at the worst possible time in our history??

Pookie
11-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Hahahaha

ok Pook. I think you've jumped the shark on this. There's nowhere to go here but posting "It's just a game".

I'm not saying the sky falls but are you saying thousands of peoples paid plans changing last minute wouldn't cause a stir at the worst possible time in our history??

UEFA games have never been postponed?

Tens of thousands of people's paid plans have changed before and will change again.

I don't even think it's likely. Highly unlikely in fact... which is what is meant by the phrase "worst case scenario."

I think, as I have said before, it has been and will be fine.

I know that some are going to want to run out there and repair divots mid game but i don't relate. I clear my own driveway I guess. I golf on municipal courses.

SoccMan2
11-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Let's hope it works out but it's going to be tricky it's too bad that after all these years of crap, now that we have these two great games played in front of two big crowds, in both games the field might be an issue.

razor787
11-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Note to the Toronto groundscrew...

Take out the tape measure and double check the location of the lines... :facepalm:

tfcfans
11-22-2016, 08:25 PM
.....and we were worried about our pitch issues.....:facepalm:

Pookie
11-22-2016, 08:29 PM

You were on to something Auzzy

OgtheDim
11-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Pics going around the internet of Seattle measuring EVERYTHING.

TFC Tifoso
11-23-2016, 07:58 AM
wow Montreal.....and y'all worried about the grass with our grounds crew?.....pfft, pitch please.....

CBTFC
11-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Guys just about to lace up my rollerblades, grab my measuring tape and head down to BMO.

Wagner
11-23-2016, 08:34 AM
Guys just about to lace up my rollerblades, grab my measuring tape and head down to BMO.

haha
awesome

GabrielHurl
11-23-2016, 08:56 AM

you'll be in for a shock if you go down there today - lines everywhere :)

ensco
11-23-2016, 09:22 AM
We are going to find out about the drainage now. It is going to rain for most of the next 7 days.

MightyDM
11-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Our grounds crew are superb, the pitch start of the art, and hopefully the weather this weekend will cooperate. Would be a shame otherwise.

none of this solves the bigger problem that normal summer weather in Toronto includes rain and thunderstorms, and CFL games tear up grass so badly the entire league plays on turf. When there is a CFL game after rain, which will be a normal and regular occurrence, it's likely that there will be issues. But that's a worry for next year, this year I am going to enjoy the ride

Heepster
11-23-2016, 07:16 PM
I don't think it would be possible for it to look as bad as Varsity Stadium on Nov. 15, 2000 for a Canada-Mexico WCQ game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWXo8lvUio
... As for New England, I'm not sure Bob Kraft even knows he owns a MLS team, let alone where or what they play on.That stadium did have grass until it got churned to mud by two NFL games in November 2006, and it was replaced by FieldTurf before the next Patriots home game.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2661830
http://archive.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/11/15/worn_down_patriots_surrender_their_turf/

denime
11-23-2016, 08:22 PM
We are going to find out about the drainage now. It is going to rain for most of the next 7 days.

I wouldn't be worried about rain, Thermal cover is on,and UV lights too.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p407/kdenis23/bmo-uv_zpss3q8ktrl.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/kdenis23/media/bmo-uv_zpss3q8ktrl.jpg.html)

MightyDM
11-23-2016, 08:22 PM
I don't think it would be possible for it to look as bad as Varsity Stadium on Nov. 15, 2000 for a Canada-Mexico WCQ game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWXo8lvUioThat stadium did have grass until it got churned to mud by two NFL games in November 2006, and it was replaced by FieldTurf before the next Patriots home game.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2661830
http://archive.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/11/15/worn_down_patriots_surrender_their_turf/

No no that's not possible. This years weather and lack of damage by the CFL at BMO proves that these events never happened and never could happen. There is no rain in Toronto in the summer, there are no thunderstorms ever, and CFL and NFL teams do not damage grass. We know this because all CFL teams use grass pitches and so do the NFL. In fact New England changed from turf to grass for exactly this reason, according to commentators on this thread.

sn0re
11-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Looks like they are applying paint... https://www.instagram.com/p/BNLgGWCgMfU/

Oldtimer
11-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Looks like they are applying paint... https://www.instagram.com/p/BNLgGWCgMfU/

A broken promise. :mad: There had better been no remnants come game day.

Wagner
11-24-2016, 11:10 AM
I believe they said the Grey Cup is the one event that would have paint.
As it is outside of the the Argo's control.
The CFL controls the event.
I'm sure those corporate sponsors basically pay for sponsorships all year to have that logo painted on the field for the Grey Cup.

Red CB Toronto
11-24-2016, 11:24 AM

The Grey Cup is a CFL event and logos on the field are apart of league wide sponsorship agreements. Its a high value piece of inventory for them. When the CFL brings the Grey Cup to city they have full control of the facility. While on-field logos were never an issue with Argos regular season games, you knew the league would never agree to such limitations that would effect their bottom line.

Plus way back when who would have ever though the Reds would be in the position they are !! I am sure the grounds crew has a plan in place but we will have to see if the weather cooperates.

I for one am more concerned with field conditions than if there are a few shadows on the pitch.

CBTFC
11-24-2016, 11:54 AM
According to TWN long range forecast, we might get approx 10-15mm of rain from Monday night into Tuesday. Maybe that'll help wash away any remaining lines.

Well, other than of course the properly measured ones that we require ;)

greatwhitenorf
11-24-2016, 02:02 PM
I just looked and the weather is about as good as could be hoped for Wednesday. Fairly mild weather, no overnite freezes. That will give the crew a chance to restore the grass. The rain on Tuesday could make for soft grass, but a slower surface might not hurt TFC as the Impact used the firm, fast turf in Montreal to stage a track meet early on that TFC's defence couldn't handle.

greatwhitenorf
11-24-2016, 03:15 PM
Hmmm. Dave Naylor of TSN - official mouthpieces for the CFL - suggesting that the Grey Cup shouldn't be brought back to Toronto until Argos support is on a par with 'support elswhere'.

Maybe he hasn't read the contract the league has with the club to bring the Grey Cup to Toronto twice more in the next decade. Or maybe the club are quietly acknowledging this Argos thing truly isn't working and instead of creating an embarrassing, self-inflicted black eye for the CFL, they'll let that deal slide until things improve.

Or maybe - and I'm referencing you Groundsman Ryan - "Hosting a grey cup is (not) a profitable season no matter how dire things go, usually at least."

Which means issues over pitch wear and tear might be much less of a worry in years to come.

http://www.tsn.ca/hard-to-imagine-grey-cup-game-returning-to-toronto-anytime-soon-1.615479

anto7
11-24-2016, 07:22 PM
This is not about the pitch but does relate to the Grey Cup final and thought I would share since it's pretty funny.
Pizza Pizza in Hamilton was offering a large pizza with 3 toppings, 10 chicken wings, 4 cans of pop and 2 GREY CUP TICKETS for $30!!!!
The CFL apparently objected and put an end to it but not before people took advantage of the offer lol.
1 guy tweeted that he got the deal and the tickets had a face value of $299!

notthesun
11-24-2016, 08:17 PM
https://twitter.com/TFC_GroundsDept/status/801952229611728896

OgtheDim
11-24-2016, 08:35 PM
A Wembly summer change over does not compare to this time of the year here.

notthesun
11-25-2016, 12:11 AM
The grounds crew has been pretty bullish on the pitch concerns all year, and they've delivered so far. I honestly am not worried in the slightest for Wednesday.

OgtheDim
11-25-2016, 07:36 AM
Easy to be bullish given what they have not had to deal with. They are doing a great job so far with the time in between. All power to them.

But people on here have said this consistently for years since the Argo return was first discussed - the real test for this pitch is a November 3 day turnaround after a big rain, ice or snow storm during a CFL game.

Until that happens, I will remain vigilantly skeptical.

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2016, 09:06 AM
https://twitter.com/TFC_GroundsDept/status/801952229611728896

LOL

"Just mention Wembley. They'll be amazed."

Just search "Wembley complaints pitch".

Pookie
11-25-2016, 01:19 PM
LOL

"Just mention Wembley. They'll be amazed."

Just search "Wembley complaints pitch".

Did those games ever get played? ;)

I think we should close this thread down for a bit until the game is actually played. We can then come back and dissect it.

This thread is filled with confidence, worry and some ramblings about another sport. Nothing is going to change between now and then.

Biggest game in the history of the franchise coming up (who said the playoffs were dumb? ;) ). Let's focus on that and marches and all the good stuff

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Did those games ever get played? ;)

I think we should close this thread down for a bit until the game is actually played. We can then come back and dissect it.

This thread is filled with confidence, worry and some ramblings about another sport. Nothing is going to change between now and then.

Biggest game in the history of the franchise coming up (who said the playoffs were dumb? ;) ). Let's focus on that and marches and all the good stuff

OR DON'T VISIT THE THREAD.

Just a suggestion.

Pookie
11-25-2016, 01:50 PM
^ fine.

I will stay and battle for the grounds crew and most likely outcome which is that it works.

I am sure that helps with unity at this time.

Quite a lot of stuff up there about the CFL's rumoured demise. You know, "black eye embarrassing" over the top commentary about another sports team in a thread specifically designed to talk about the pitch.

Might want to clean that up agenda if you are leaving the lights on.

Pookie
11-25-2016, 01:55 PM
The grounds crew has been pretty bullish on the pitch concerns all year, and they've delivered so far. I honestly am not worried in the slightest for Wednesday.

Ditto

Pookie
11-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Easy to be bullish given what they have not had to deal with. They are doing a great job so far with the time in between. All power to them.

But people on here have said this consistently for years since the Argo return was first discussed - the real test for this pitch is a November 3 day turnaround after a big rain, ice or snow storm during a CFL game.

Until that happens, I will remain vigilantly skeptical.

Let's say that day comes og, then what?

Kick them out of a public stadium that MLSE only manages? Give back the "culture ministry" money? The fed money? And the 10m Argos payment? Book another sports team to make financial obligations?

If that other team isn't going anywhere, and the future grey cup deals guarantee they won't, it seems like the only alternative to pitch complaints is a turf field.

No one wants that do they? So have faith in the grounds crew

denime
11-25-2016, 02:11 PM

Kick them out of a public stadium that MLSE only manages? Give back the "culture ministry" money? The fed money? And the 10m Argos payment? Book another sports team to make financial obligations?

If that other team isn't going anywhere, and the future grey cup deals guarantee they won't, it seems like the only alternative to pitch complaints is a turf field.

No one wants that do they? So have faith in the grounds crew

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadh orse:

GabrielHurl
11-25-2016, 02:13 PM
A Wembly summer change over does not compare to this time of the year here.

Those 2 pictures were taken on October 30th and November 2nd

Soccer Mum
11-25-2016, 02:15 PM
If it happens at Wembley, it must be the greatest thing ever...

So not worried now.

Pookie
11-25-2016, 02:22 PM
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadh orse:

I think so too.

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2016, 02:35 PM
I think so too.

And the posts keep coming.

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2016, 02:37 PM
This is not about the pitch but does relate to the Grey Cup final and thought I would share since it's pretty funny.
Pizza Pizza in Hamilton was offering a large pizza with 3 toppings, 10 chicken wings, 4 cans of pop and 2 GREY CUP TICKETS for $30!!!!
The CFL apparently objected and put an end to it but not before people took advantage of the offer lol.
1 guy tweeted that he got the deal and the tickets had a face value of $299!

This thread is about the pitch. What your after is over here:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?39778-Grey-Cup-Pizza-Pizza-ticket-deal&p=1821756#post1821756

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2016, 02:45 PM
^ fine.

I will stay and battle for the grounds crew and most likely outcome which is that it works.

I am sure that helps with unity at this time.

Quite a lot of stuff up there about the CFL's rumoured demise. You know, "black eye embarrassing" over the top commentary about another sports team in a thread specifically designed to talk about the pitch.

Might want to clean that up agenda if you are leaving the lights on.

Thanks. Feel free to report it BTW. For unity.

Hmmm. Dave Naylor of TSN - official mouthpieces for the CFL - suggesting that the Grey Cup shouldn't be brought back to Toronto until Argos support is on a par with 'support elswhere'.

Maybe he hasn't read the contract the league has with the club to bring the Grey Cup to Toronto twice more in the next decade. Or maybe the club are quietly acknowledging this Argos thing truly isn't working and instead of creating an embarrassing, self-inflicted black eye for the CFL, they'll let that deal slide until things improve.

Or maybe - and I'm referencing you Groundsman Ryan - "Hosting a grey cup is (not) a profitable season no matter how dire things go, usually at least."

Which means issues over pitch wear and tear might be much less of a worry in years to come.

http://www.tsn.ca/hard-to-imagine-grey-cup-game-returning-to-toronto-anytime-soon-1.615479

This is CFL trash talk with a pitch talk shoehorn sentence. We don't need it in here. Thanks.

Pookie
11-25-2016, 03:30 PM
And the posts keep coming.

As do the page views and traffic to the site.

Would you like me to stop visiting?

Wagner
11-25-2016, 03:49 PM

yes.

CBTFC
11-25-2016, 04:02 PM
That's what threads are about, as I'm coming to learn, appreciate and understand. Different viewpoints.

No need to shut down the debate just cause one feels it shouldn't be a debate to begin with.

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2016, 04:34 PM

How many times have you intimated that you said your peace on this and then came back to say something similar again? You agree its beating a dead horse then contribute to it by repeating your stance. That's what I was commenting on.

I appreciate you pointing out derails, truly.

Pookie
11-25-2016, 04:36 PM
That's what threads are about, as I'm coming to learn, appreciate and understand. Different viewpoints.

No need to shut down the debate just cause one feels it shouldn't be a debate to begin with.

That wasn't it. It was more about not having to be divided on the CFL vs MLS in the lead up to our biggest Match.

But that's fine.

I've got two mods telling me to leave and my message is one of optimism that the crew can make this a fantastic night.

The gall to think it will be ok. Imagine.

The line in remember the Titans (ironically a football movie) is that "attitude reflects leadership." Even though there will be no lines on the pitch, it's a pretty clear line here.

Got it. Enjoy.

GabrielHurl
11-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Good thing it's nearly happy hour

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNNjGs9AElk/?taken-at=47881

https://s18.postimg.org/dpn36cg89/image.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNNUzzyjkZ8/?taken-at=47881

https://s16.postimg.org/supedawh1/image.png

Gringo Starr
11-25-2016, 06:32 PM
I doubt the authenticity of these pictures. If I learnt one thing in Montreal it's that fields are painted with Krylon cans by underage ball boys using twine as a guide....

OgtheDim
11-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Those 2 pictures were taken on October 30th and November 2nd

Cool....

A Wembly fall change over does not compare to this time of the year here. :)

GabrielHurl
11-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Acceptable :)

OgtheDim
11-25-2016, 07:37 PM

Then we'll discuss it. That's what we do. :)

What I'm suggesting, as has been suggested by others, is that based on past TFC experience, and the experience of supporting other teams, it would be wise for those who actually remain with the team for years/decades (i.e. the supporters) to remain vigilant in watching how the pitch reacts to circumstances.

As we have seen, it is up to us to keep management honest. Wish it was different, but so be it.

SoccMan2
11-26-2016, 08:07 AM
They wanted to allow a horse inside the stadium and gallop along the sidelines during the Grey Cup game lol apparently it's a Calgary thing at their games in Calgary and it seems CFL fans are up in arms that BMO Field is not allowing that lol.

Onyx
11-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Good thing it's nearly happy hour

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNNjGs9AElk/?taken-at=47881

https://s18.postimg.org/dpn36cg89/image.png

sightlines from these seats aren't as bad as i imagined ... still would pay $ to sit up there on a cold november night

YYZ_Fan
11-26-2016, 05:08 PM
They may not let people in the 300's mingle with the top of the south stand. Looks like a totally independent section with temporary concession stands and portable toilets set up.

Auzzy
11-26-2016, 06:03 PM
They wanted to allow a horse inside the stadium and gallop along the sidelines during the Grey Cup game lol apparently it's a Calgary thing at their games in Calgary and it seems CFL fans are up in arms that BMO Field is not allowing that lol.

Yup no room for the galloping horse, nor for the Ottawa log cutting (which they like to do after a touchdown). We all knew a CFL field could barely get shoehorned into BMO field, makes sense there's no room for that. But many CFL fans (and band waggoners who don't seem to know much about the whole thing) are losing their shit about it. :facepalm:

Some are even saying, well then BMO Field shouldn't get any more Grey Cups. Well if you really twist my arm, I might agree to that LOL. I wonder if banning the horse also has a bit to do with not tearing up the pitch, but they're afraid to say that...?

MightyDM
11-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Then we'll discuss it. That's what we do. :)

What I'm suggesting, as has been suggested by others, is that based on past TFC experience, and the experience of supporting other teams, it would be wise for those who actually remain with the team for years/decades (i.e. the supporters) to remain vigilant in watching how the pitch reacts to circumstances.

As we have seen, it is up to us to keep management honest. Wish it was different, but so be it.

This is exactly where I am. we have been fortunate with the weather this year and it looks like that good fortune will continue. The grounds crew have done an excellent job. But when we get normal weather, there is a real risk the CFL will tear the pitch up. In the past, those incidents have resulted in artificial turf being installed at CFL fields. We must be vigilant, to maintain A) that it is a soccer first facility, B) standards and conditions - no slippage on the various commitments and C) to prevent disastrous decisions - like letting a horse in or a push for turf.

In the meantime, cant wait for wednesday

Sweeper
11-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Please tell me there will be porta-potties

Red CB Toronto
11-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Please tell me there will be porta-potties

Yes there are, a row of them at the back of the stand.