PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft 2017

flamehawk
08-21-2016, 07:08 PM
I really wish MLS moved beyond this, but alas, with Minnesota and Atlanta joining next season, we may lose a player or two.

Automatically Protected (HGP and GA):
Bono
Osorio
Morgan
Babouli
Chapman
Mannella
Hamilton
Roberts

Protect:

Bradley
Altidore
Giovinco
Moor
Zavaleta
Morrow
Beita
Will Johnson
Irwin
Delgado
Endoh or Ricketts

I am hoping Ricketts and Endoh do not get chosen because of their international status. Cooper we won't need to protect as he is on loan. Cheyrou, I would hate to lose but he isn't getting younger and we will need to find a replacement either way.

If someone is picked I would probably protect Josh Williams or Nick Hagglund next. It's a real shame to lose anyone, since I really like our squad and the squad has been cohesive.

OgtheDim
08-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Delgado might still count as a HG actually. But I believe Osorio is no longer covered as he has signed a new contract.

I could see a team going for Simonin or Lovitz or Bloom. They won't pick old guys like Cheyrou and they are unlikely to take internationals like Ricketts or Endoh.

notthesun
08-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Morgan is also on his 2nd contract so we'll have to expose him.

But they might tweak the parameters of the draft a little bit. I'm going to wait until they announce all the details before trying to determine exactly what we should do.

flamehawk
08-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Morgan is also on his 2nd contract so we'll have to expose him.

But they might tweak the parameters of the draft a little bit. I'm going to wait until they announce all the details before trying to determine exactly what we should do.

Didn't we hand him a second contract before the 2015 expansion draft? (NYCFC and Orlando). He was automatically protected for that.

mowe
08-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Didn't we hand him a second contract before the 2015 expansion draft? (NYCFC and Orlando). He was automatically protected for that.

Correct. Also worth noting Delgado was automatically protected for us as a homegrown even though he signed his deal with Chivas USA. If we can do that again then I wouldn't care about any of the players we leave unprotected. We would only lose some easily replaceable depth players.

Expansion Draft rules from last time: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2014-expansion-draft-rules

Who we protected: http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2014/12/08/toronto-fc-protects-11-players-expansion-draft

Richard
08-21-2016, 10:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Cheyrou's contract ends this year and we most likely wont resign him so another person is going to be unprotected.

Ivy
08-21-2016, 11:23 PM
I believe Johnson also only signed for 1 year. If cooper performs well, TFC will sign him permanently, and one of Osorio or Delgado will be left unprotected.

ou8jonesy
08-22-2016, 12:15 PM
Do we need to protect any of the DP's ? Wouldn't they all have had something in their contracts regarding no trade clause? Just curious.

gdg_9
08-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Do we need to protect any of the DP's ? Wouldn't they all have had something in their contracts regarding no trade clause? Just curious.

They probably have some sort of No-Move Protection, but in that case we would likely be forced to use one of the protected slots on the.

Detroit_TFC
08-22-2016, 01:18 PM
I'd say their salaries probably make no-move clauses in their contracts unnecessary, but could be standard part of the language in DP contracts.

fergiejr
08-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Seems to me that we have traded DPs before. Thinking Laba and Gilberto. That might be different than a draft though - although I also think their salaries would make it unnecessary.

Unless, of course, one of the teams was to grab Giovinco to get a draft pick or some TAM or other *AM back from us in trade - ala the Lovitz move when NYCFC grabbed him then traded him back the same day for Garber Bucks.

Ivy
08-22-2016, 09:29 PM
TFC leaving Giovinco unprotected would be the most epic story in sports history.

mistercorporate
08-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Giovinco unprotected = #ManningOut #BezOut #VanneyOut #FanbaseGone

TFC/Everton
08-22-2016, 10:16 PM

There would actually be a protest outside of MLSE HQ.

Richard
08-22-2016, 10:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken didn't Montreal get someone in the expansion draft a few years ago that didn't want to play for them and was traded back for some allocation money?

The player doesn't have to play for the team that selects them in the draft.

Yohan
08-22-2016, 11:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken didn't Montreal get someone in the expansion draft a few years ago that didn't want to play for them and was traded back for some allocation money?

The player doesn't have to play for the team that selects them in the draft.
It was Brian Ching.

Player gets fined and disciplined for not reporting in to their new team

notthesun
08-23-2016, 01:03 AM
I believe Johnson also only signed for 1 year. If cooper performs well, TFC will sign him permanently, and one of Osorio or Delgado will be left unprotected.

I don't know. The more I look at the Cooper move the more I think it's a short term thing and Bez actually intends to sign someone better next season when we have more cap room. According to reports from before the trade deadline, when we were evaluating attacking mid options within the league we refused to trade our young players to get a deal done. I think management thinks really highly of a lot of our young guys and I think they'll do whatever possible to retain them through the expansion draft.

ou8jonesy
08-23-2016, 08:10 AM
I just think that the MLS wouldn't want to rock the boat with any of their high profile DPs. I could just see the scenario of Gio being told he is moving to Minni/St. Paul. His response - next flight to Italy.

Oldtimer
08-23-2016, 08:21 AM

There would actually be a protest outside of MLSE HQ.

I think people would come with flares and burn the place down.

Seriously, zero chance that would happen.

OTOH TFC kept Julian de Guzman (who didn't have a "no trade" clause) unprotected several times hoping some FO would be suckered into taking him. :lol:

ensco
08-23-2016, 08:28 AM
I think people would come with flares and burn the place down.

Seriously, zero chance that would happen.

OTOH TFC kept Julian de Guzman (who didn't have a "no trade" clause) unprotected several times hoping some FO would be suckered into taking him. :lol:

Agree. Gio will only leave TFC if he asks to go. It's up to him.

I do wonder whether TFC would expose Bradley or Altidore.

Not sure what Manning's mandate re payroll is.

Gazza_55
08-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Delgado might still count as a HG actually. But I believe Osorio is no longer covered as he has signed a new contract.

I could see a team going for Simonin or Lovitz or Bloom. They won't pick old guys like Cheyrou and they are unlikely to take internationals like Ricketts or Endoh.

I think we are going trade Bloom to Atlanta United for GAM and a promise not to take any players.

OgtheDim
08-23-2016, 02:42 PM
I think we are going trade Bloom to Atlanta United for GAM and a promise not to take any players.

We said the same thing 2 years ago about him and Orlando. I'd rather they didn't take him but if they must, I'd rather they draft him.

Not sure he has the ties to down south he used to have.

notthesun
08-23-2016, 03:04 PM
We'll get some extra allocation money next year for qualifying for the CCL. Maybe we can send some of that off to Atlanta or Minnesota in exchange for keeping some of our guys, like we did with Lovitz and NYCFC. Remember, NYCFC took Lovitz in the draft and then we immediately traded allocation to NYCFC to get him back. It was doubly effective since after a player is picked you can protect one of your unprotected guys with that slot, which I believe at the time we used to protect Bloom.

We'll probably have a few good young players that will have to be left unprotected, so maybe we can do this again and hold onto more or even all of them.

Pint
08-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Are we sure an expansion draft will be taking place? I thought it was going the way of to dodo bird?

notthesun
08-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Are we sure an expansion draft will be taking place? I thought it was going the way of to dodo bird?

There was some talk of that, but MNUFC's technical director said they're expecting an expansion draft (http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/19/minnesota-united-join-mls-how-theyll-build-roster-months-ahead) so it sounds like it's going to happen.

Mark in Ottawa
08-23-2016, 04:38 PM
As an NASL fan I am curious about all of this.
Does MinUtd and MLS have to buy out all of the contracts of current NASL players? What if a player with an MinUtd existing contract did not want to play in MLS?
Would MinUtd, since they have a team currently, start with a roster of players under contract and then as they select a player from an established MLS team they would drop a player from their existing roster effectively making them a free agent?

There are just so many permutations and combinations possible. MinUtd has a pretty good NASL player in Christian Ramirez and I am curious to know what the options will be for him next season.

molenshtain
08-23-2016, 04:50 PM
As an NASL fan I am curious about all of this.
Does MinUtd and MLS have to buy out all of the contracts of current NASL players? What if a player with an MinUtd existing contract did not want to play in MLS?
Would MinUtd, since they have a team currently, start with a roster of players under contract and then as they select a player from an established MLS team they would drop a player from their existing roster effectively making them a free agent?

There are just so many permutations and combinations possible. MinUtd has a pretty good NASL player in Christian Ramirez and I am curious to know what the options will be for him next season.

They would presumably have to go through the same process Orlando went through. They're going to have to sign any players they currently have and want to keep to new MLS deals that starts in January, everyone else's contract will automatically expire when MinUTD's season ends because they're effectively going extinct at that level. I believe that's how it would work anyway, USL is a little different because they would have had almost all of their players on rolling 1 year contracts. Minnesota might run into issues regarding long-term contracts, but I doubt they have many of them.

Pint
09-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Each team makes 5 picks so down from 10 last time.

Protected: 11 + Homegrown + GA

DinamoTFC
09-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Good news. And only 1 player can be selected per team.

Ivy
09-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Yup just read over the rules.
biggest take away:
5 rounds
11 players protected
clubs can only lose 1 player.
No trades during draft.

OgtheDim
09-13-2016, 04:12 PM
I have a feeling the two Uniteds are going to get a load of Garber bucks.

notthesun
09-13-2016, 04:31 PM
See the full rules here: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2016-expansion-draft-rules-and-regulations

There are some things to keep an eye on. First, there's a minimum of international players that must be protected depending on how many international players you have. We have 5 (Cheyrou, Simonin, Giovinco, Endoh, Cooper), so we have to protect 3 of them. Even if Cheyrou retires, leaving us with 4, we still have to protect 3.

The rules also state that if a supplementary or reserve roster slot player is picked, the club that selected him has to offer him a senior roster slot/contract. So basically, picking a bench level player is even less enticing for Minnesota and Atlanta (although with only 5 selections being made each, I doubt many bench level players will be chosen).

KurtLarSUN
09-16-2016, 06:53 AM
Here's what to expect form TFC in the expansion draft (second item) http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/16/toronto-fcs-jozy-altidore-making-critics-eat-their-words

ensco
09-16-2016, 06:58 AM
Here's what to expect form TFC in the expansion draft (second item) http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/16/toronto-fcs-jozy-altidore-making-critics-eat-their-words

Thanks. I think maybe Beitashour at his age/salary will be exposed. Endoh has to be one they protect, just given he was a first round pick this year, and has shown flashes.

From the remaining names, suspect Delgado has to be protected too.

KurtLarSUN
09-16-2016, 07:08 AM
Thanks. I think maybe Beitashour at his age/salary will be exposed. Endoh has to be one they protect, just given he was a first round pick this year, and has shown flashes.

From the remaining names, suspect Delgado has to be protected too.

Then they better find a new, solid right back pretty quick. Took them a long time to find this one.

KurtLarSUN
09-16-2016, 07:16 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/16/toronto-fcs-jozy-altidore-making-critics-eat-their-words

For those wondering why Babouli isn't protected, I was told the league doesn't consider him homegrown. I'm not sure why. Age? Length of time in academy?

Bono is expected to remain a GA in 2017, though the league will make that decision at the end of the year.

Osorio is NOT considered a homegrown signing.

Ashtone Morgan remains HG as he was on TFC's off-budget roster (spots 20-28) this season.

Delgado is a strange one. He was still considered HG in 2014. But, not anymore for TFC.

DinamoTFC
09-16-2016, 07:31 AM
If Jozy is left unprotected to try to save someone like Delgado do you think any team in the league has the desire and money to pick Jozy?

KurtLarSUN
09-16-2016, 07:34 AM
If Jozy is left unprotected to try to save someone like Delgado do you think any team in the league has the desire and money to pick Jozy?

The money? Sure, Atlanta does. But I'd be surprised for a number of reasons.
1) Atlanta already has Jones, who's a similar player.
2) I do think his price tag would be too much for Minny.

ensco
09-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Then they better find a new, solid right back pretty quick. Took them a long time to find this one.

You might be right. But I just don't see how you expose Delgado. Young, cheap, serviceable domestics are big cornerstone pieces.

Maybe Johnson is the one to expose, given salary, age, durability questions, and the fact that he's an international in the US.

KurtLarSUN
09-16-2016, 07:44 AM
You might be right. But I just don't see how you expose Delgado. Young, cheap, serviceable domestics are big cornerstone pieces.

Maybe Johnson is the one to expose, given salary, age, durability questions, and the fact that he's an international in the US.

The strange thing for Johnson is that he's heading into free agency. So, who knows what that might mean. My guess is the league doesn't even know yet.

Pint
09-16-2016, 08:05 AM
I guess the few things to consider:

1. Are Canadians going to be domestics or have some other mechanism in place?
2. How are Free Agents dealt with?
3. Will the other teams have a full slate of DP's already?

While I really like the job Zavaleta is doing is he so much of an upgrade over Hagglund/Williams that you protect him and leave Delgado/Endoh/Ricketts exposed?

As far as I can tell we only have 1 (Maybe 2) players on our USL team who could earn 1st team contracts (Edwards, Thomas... outside shot at the new guy John) and how will that effect our depth.

Yohan
09-16-2016, 08:11 AM

IIRC Will Johnson has US citizenship? at least a green card since he's lived in US for a long time

sn0re
09-16-2016, 08:33 AM
The strange thing for Johnson is that he's heading into free agency. So, who knows what that might mean. My guess is the league doesn't even know yet.

How long is Johnson's contract?

OgtheDim
09-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Williams is a good backup but every time he's in I know we are going to give up a goal due to positioning. He's better then he was last year with Kantari; but like the rest of the defence, Williams is missing Irwin back there for that one moment per game.

ensco
11-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Suddenly we have a real problem here btw. It's a high class problem, mind, but there is no way now that we're exposing Hagglund or Zavaleta.

So it means not just Endoh, but one or two guys like Johnson, Ricketts, maybe Beitashour, are going to be exposed.

mistercorporate
11-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Endoh and Cheyrou or Johnson, we're already stacked in midfield and attack.

Oldtimer
12-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Some ideas on who we might lose.
http://www.wakingthered.com/2016/12/3/13826110/who-could-toronto-fc-lose-in-the-mls-expansion-draft-atlanta-minnesota-united

ag futbol
12-03-2016, 12:03 PM
I would protect Ricketts and at someone's expense (never thought I'd say that 4 months ago).

I think you gamble that Cheyrou has the trump card of retiring, Osorio requires an international spot and is on reasonable money, WJ is out of contract. It's hard to believe how much depth we suddenly have. Way too much to protect it all.

I would suspect players like Delgado, Williams or Simonin could be on someone's list. On the less likely side: Endoh or Lovitz. Smart teams use these drafts for cheap supporting pieces and not major salaries or cornerstones.

Hamilton_Red
12-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Johnson must stay. I'd expose Endoh, Beitashour, Lovitz, Baboulli

FluSH
12-03-2016, 12:33 PM
We need to keep Ricketts and Cheyrou at minimum at Out of pure respect for what they have done in the post season!!

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Also certain Seba has a no trade clause, wouldn't be surprised if all our DPs did

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Fucking hate expansion drafts. This is a worlds sport, you can find players on any continant. Why should we have to give up a player.

Blindside16
12-05-2016, 03:16 AM
Johnson must stay. I'd expose Endoh, Beitashour, Lovitz, Baboulli

I agree 100% with this choice.

PopePouri
12-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Johnson needs to be exposed. His contract is up and we have a wealth of talent in midfield. Delgado, Osorio, Endoh, Chapman and Cooper can all play his position.

C.Ronaldo
12-05-2016, 12:22 PM
assuming same price johnson is too much in a capped league

of course, he may end up getting less out on the free agency market.

the time off due to injuries are adding up.

really wish there was an injury cap reimbursement of sorts

ag futbol
12-05-2016, 01:50 PM
Johnson needs to be exposed. His contract is up and we have a wealth of talent in midfield. Delgado, Osorio, Endoh, Chapman and Cooper can all play his position.
Agreed. Protecting a "maybe" asset is questionable.

Plus he wants playing time and lost his spot late in the year. I'm not sure how receptive he will be in general.

mistercorporate
12-05-2016, 02:50 PM
I'd rather keep Beitashour over Johnson, we have depth in midfield but not much in defensively strong wing-backs.

Cas87
12-05-2016, 04:24 PM
I am beginning to think that Johnson will be left exposed and we cover ourselves with Beitashour protected.

Looking at TFC2 we do have a few contenders to be given a senior contract next year as well.

MF - Chris Mannela (might already be on a senior contract?)
DF - Skyler Thomas
MF - Raheem Edwards

These guys could be brought in as depth guys for CCL and ACC, even giving the regulars a break during the MLS season as well.

notthesun
12-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Mannella has an MLS contract already. Thomas isn't ready, but Edwards could move up. He'd basically replace Lovitz, who I don't expect back, though I'm not sure where exactly he would fit in a 3-5-2.

ensco
12-05-2016, 07:52 PM
I hate that we will lose a guy so fast. It could be on Sunday (there is a trade window before the draft Tuesday). We may lose a key guy before he even gets to the victory parade.

Think we can trade our first rounder so that we don't lost anyone?

I really don't want to think about this right not, but the obvious guy who we should expose from the core group in order to protect a key bubble guy is Bradley, if that is possible.

Nobody will just take on that contract ... right?

Areathrasher
12-05-2016, 08:55 PM
This years first rounder is going to the Rapids for Irwin IIRC

ensco
12-05-2016, 08:59 PM
This years first rounder is going to the Rapids for Irwin IIRC

That pick was conditional on something that was never disclosed.

Areathrasher
12-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Those conditions are generally tied to appearances or playoff success so I highly doubt the conditions weren't met.

(or it's if he signs a deal with TFC similar to the Jackson deal)

ensco
12-05-2016, 09:50 PM
^Yeah that is the right thing to assume

So thinking about that Jackson scenario, if that's what is going on, Irwin might get exposed here.

OgtheDim
12-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Only Minn would want Irwin - Atlanta is picking up Sean Johnson (who will probably get Jack McInerney from Colorado and thus upgrade). And I'm not sure Irwin wants to work for Adrian Heath.

ensco
12-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Only Minn would want Irwin - Atlanta is picking up Sean Johnson (who will probably get Jack McInerney from Colorado and thus upgrade). And I'm not sure Irwin wants to work for Adrian Heath.

Someone would take him to flip him.

notthesun
12-05-2016, 10:47 PM
I suppose there's a possibility Irwin gets exposed, but I find it hard to believe. I feel like we'd be making the same mistake as we made with Frei - cheap backup comes in and does okay and we start wondering if we really need the starter. I would rather stick with Irwin.

Gringo Starr
12-05-2016, 11:54 PM
Irwin is on such a team friendly contract we have to protect him. Dude makes like 100 grand per season. Solid mls keeper, on a great contract for his position. If he went and bono faltered we would not find a keeper of Irwin's class at his price

ensco
12-06-2016, 07:48 AM
I am not looking to move Irwin. At all. But what if he wants a lot more than $100K and can get it elsewhere?

That pick, if signing him costs us that, is an issue. He by definition would cost us more to sign him than he costs anyone else (if that is how the conditional deal works).

Not looking to be "right", just trying to think like Bez.

Championship teams lose guys because everyone needs to get paid.

Areathrasher
12-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Irwin is on such a team friendly contract we have to protect him. Dude makes like 100 grand per season. Solid mls keeper, on a great contract for his position. If he went and bono faltered we would not find a keeper of Irwin's class at his price
IIRC from around the time of the trade. This year was his last year on his current deal. So one way or another, he's getting a raise this offseason.

Gringo Starr
12-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I thought Irwin is signed through 2017? no?

Areathrasher
12-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Pretty sure Matt Doyle said he was going into the last year of his deal when the trade went down.

EDIT:FAO: Ensco - Going back looking for the contract details, i found this from Neil Davidson.

A source said the 2017 pick is conditional on Irwin's appearances and Toronto's playoff progress.

Gringo Starr
12-06-2016, 12:07 PM
I tried looking for contract terms for Irwin but came up empty

in terms of the draft pick though, of all the years to be giving up a first round selection this is it. After we win on Saturday the rapids will be getting the last pick in the first round and we still have the 5 th pick in the second round to grab a prospect

kaiteng
12-11-2016, 11:48 AM
To protect or not protect Irwin is on TFC's view on Alex Bono. If they are confident that Bono can do the same job with less money then leaving Irwin open should be alright.

Lennon
12-11-2016, 02:43 PM
How many players do we have to leave exposed?

I'd put some Canadians on that list. You'd have to think that ATL/Min would't want to waste their international spot on Chapman/Morgan/Mannella.

Also Irwin. Seems like decent GK's are a dime a dozen.

Ruffian
12-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Sean Johnson is off to NYCFC. Looks like Atlanta are in for Brad Guzan, so situation is still the same.

I think the team protected lists should be announced at 12 today?

Ruffian
12-12-2016, 10:33 AM
I say protected:

Giovinco
Altidore
Bradley
Moore
Zavaletta
Morrow
Osorio
Cooper
Delgado
Beitashour
Irwin

Only Haglund left off the list as one of the regular starters.

shorty
12-12-2016, 10:37 AM
How many players do we have to leave exposed?

I'd put some Canadians on that list. You'd have to think that ATL/Min would't want to waste their international spot on Chapman/Morgan/Mannella.

Also Irwin. Seems like decent GK's are a dime a dozen.

Mannella now counts as a domestic league-wide because he started at the academy before he was 16. One of only nine Canadians who count as domestics in the US after the new Canadian Garber-age rule change. Still doubtful that Minnesota or Atlanta would pick him up, but in a later round for "domestic" depth... maybe. He's not protected in the way you suggest though.

ensco
12-12-2016, 10:37 AM
I say protected:

Giovinco
Altidore
Bradley
Moore
Zavaletta
Morrow
Osorio
Cooper
Delgado
Beitashour
Irwin

Only Haglund left off the list as one of the regular starters.

They will not expose Hagglund. Young, cheap, effective domestics are incredibly valuable. I would bet my house that he won't be exposed.

This turns on whether we can sign Cooper.

If TFC can sign Cooper, it's 50/50 whether they protect Endoh or Beitashour (frankly, Beitashour may not be taken at his salary anyway, I could see the case that he should be exposed in any scenario).

There is a small chance that Irwin is exposed, if we don't think we can sign him at the right price.

wopchop
12-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Mannella now counts as a domestic league-wide because he started at the academy before he was 16. One of only nine Canadians who count as domestics in the US after the new Canadian Garber-age rule change. Still doubtful that Minnesota or Atlanta would pick him up, but in a later round for "domestic" depth... maybe. He's not protected in the way you suggest though.
Each team can only lose up to 1 player in the draft.

See link (http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2016-expansion-draft-rules-and-regulations)

Maximum Player Loss: Once one (1) player has been claimed from a Club’s non-protected roster, that Club is eliminated from the Expansion Draft and may not lose any further players

Rounds

There will be five (5) rounds.

Areathrasher
12-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Irwin, Beita and Ricketts left unprotected

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2016-expansion-draft-protected-and-unprotected-players

PopePouri
12-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Here's the list:

Altidore, Jozy
Bradley, Michael
Cooper, Armando
Delgado, Marco
Endo, Tsubasa
Giovinco, Sebastian
Hagglund, Nick
Moor, Drew
Morrow, Justin
Osorio, Jonathan
Zavaleta, Eriq

Voodooman
12-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Dont think anyone expected Endoh on that list...

notthesun
12-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Before anyone starts wondering, we were required to protect 3 international players according to the rules. We had 5 international players on the roster (Giovinco, Cooper, Cheyrou, Simonin, Endoh) and therefore had to protect 3 of them. It was going to be between Cheyrou and Endoh, and management decided to protect Endoh. A lot of people missed this particular caveat, even Waking The Red's expansion prediction only had 2 international players protected for us, which wouldn't have been possible.

Our unprotected players: Irwin, Beitashour, Johnson, Bloom, Ricketts, Williams, Cheyrou, Lovitz, Babouli, Simonin, Roberts

Keep in mind we can only lose 1 player. If I had to guess right now, Williams, Lovitz, Cheyrou, Babouli, Simonin, Roberts are safe. Cheyrou is too old versus other options for either expansion team to consider him, plus there's a risk he just decides to retire if selected. The others aren't valuable enough. Johnson is a free agent and expensive, if he is selected he can just refuse to sign a contract with Atlanta/Minnesota then head to free agency, so I doubt he's selected. Therefore I think we are going to lose one of Irwin, Beitashour, Bloom or Ricketts.

Minnesota doesn't have a keeper, they might grab Irwin. If either Atlanta or Minnesota needs a RB, they could take Beitashour if they have the cap space, or Bloom for a cheaper option. Ricketts is a bit safer than the others because he would take up an international slot, but he's not totally out of the woods. I'm not sure who we'll lose, it's going to be depend on what the teams need and who else is available.

wopchop
12-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Our unprotected players: Irwin, Beitashour, Johnson, Bloom, Ricketts, Williams, Cheyrou, Lovitz, and maybe Babouli, I'm unclear on his status.

I believe that Babouli is exempt under the Homegrown Player Status.

notthesun
12-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Didn't MLS change the rules so that Canadians are no longer considered international?

No, that only applies to players signing homegrown contracts out of approved Canadian academies. Senior Canadian players like Ricketts, Johnson, Osorio, etc. still count as internationals for U.S. clubs.

notthesun
12-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Full list of player status for the expansion draft: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2016-expansion-draft-protected-and-unprotected-players

I don't know why but Roberts and Babouli are both available despite being Homegrowns... don't get it but it won't matter, they won't be selected anyways.

ensco
12-12-2016, 02:32 PM
I bet we lose Ricketts and he is flipped to Vancouver.

This is going to suck.

pprzerac
12-12-2016, 02:34 PM
I bet we lose Ricketts and he is flipped to Vancouver.

This is going to suck.

That would be terrible, he's provided us so much energy off the bench

notthesun
12-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Our likely players to be selected, in my opinion: Irwin, Beitashour, Bloom, Ricketts, Williams.

This draft is an opportunity for Atlanta and Minnesota to build depth. You have to assume they are going to look for capable players that are cheap and domestic, as much as possible. Browsing the list of available players, here's the "competition" for each of our guys that I can see...

GK (Irwin):
Steve Clark
Chris Seitz
Bobby Shuttleworth
Jeff Attinella

These are all pretty comparable keepers. Clark is significantly more expensive than Irwin, Seitz and Shuttleworth are a bit more, Attinella a bit less. Atlanta is in for Brad Guzan and they already have a backup so I don't see them taking a keeper. So the question is whether Minnesota wants to pick a keeper, and if so, if they go for Irwin. It's certainly possible in my view.

RB (Beitashour/Bloom):
Chance Myers
Chris Duvall
Tyrone Mears
Kevin Alston
Sean Franklin

Beitashour is the best RB available. If either team can fit his salary in, I just can't see him being passed up. I think Bloom may be safe due to the availability of Duvall, who is cheaper and better.

CB (Williams):
Gideon Baah
Marvell Wynne
Gaston Sauro
Nuno Coelho
Kofi Opare
Zach Loyd
Eric Gehrig
Amobi Okugo
Bobby Burling

There are more available but I stopped here. Williams is cheap CB depth, and he's decent in that regard compared to similar players. There are better players available, but they're more expensive. I think it's possible Atlanta or Minnesota would be interested, but I very much doubt he gets picked before Beitashour, Bloom or Irwin, so I think he's safe.

ST (Ricketts):
Sebastian Le Toux
Masato Kudo
Alhaji Kamara
Robbie Keane
Dominic Oduro
Charlie Davies
Jack McInerney
Quincy Amarikwa
Cameron Porter

The big upside with Ricketts is he's cheap, but he also takes up an international slot. There's a chance he goes, but again I have to doubt it's before our other guys.

I also want to add it's possible Bez plans or has already planned to trade back for whoever we lose, even if we overpay a bit. He's shown to value stability and did this before with Lovitz when he was selected by NYCFC, and he wasn't even that important. I wouldn't be surprised for example if someone takes Beitashour and we send a bunch of TAM to get him back.

woolly
12-12-2016, 03:05 PM
What can Vancouver offer them in return?

I would imagine that Ricketts will get taken and traded back to us. At least Im hoping that... Im kinda surprised that he was protected since he's saved our asses in the clutch a number of times.

What is the date of this shitshow, anyway?

QBall
12-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Endoh on the protected list but Ricketts off the list? Looking at Ricketts performance, especially over the last month, I would take Ricketts every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

ensco
12-12-2016, 03:12 PM
What can Vancouver offer them in return?

I would imagine that Ricketts will get taken and traded back to us. At least Im hoping that... Im kinda surprised that he was protected since he's saved our asses in the clutch a number of times.

2017 first rounder? Tons of allocation?

They would be thrilled from a cap POV to replace Barnes, who makes $700K, with Ricketts.

Fort York Redcoat
12-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Ricketts is certainly a dare. Not many but a Canadian team would use an International slot for him if they look at his entire stay here. I hope the bluff works out. I only got the Johnson kit this year because I thought Ricketts would be with us for a while....

woolly
12-12-2016, 03:18 PM
2017 first rounder? Tons of allocation?

They would be thrilled from a cap POV to replace Barnes, who makes $700K, with Ricketts.

Thanks Ensco, that's a perfectly legit answer.

Fuck.

ensco
12-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks Ensco, that's a perfectly legit answer.

Fuck.

Worse, Barnes is an international, Ricketts isn't (for them)

woolly
12-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Worse, Barnes is an international, Ricketts isn't (for them)

Ok, now you're just twisting the knife.

Bobo
12-12-2016, 03:28 PM
To be honest, I'd much rather lose Ricketts than Irwin, for the simple reason that one is an important starter and one is a sub. Ricketts has defied all expectations and his pace has been such a weapon but I won't feel assured with a kid carrying the team in goal.

woolly
12-12-2016, 03:32 PM
So I have to think that the top targets from our team would have to be Beitashour or Ricketts. If we lose Irwin, then they are both protected, and that doesn't make much sense as Irwin is not as much of a hot commodity.

I can see Beitashour going. Solid RB's are rare in this league, and even at the price point I'm assuming that the expansion clubs will have lots of Garber bucks to pay it down with.

Thats what Im hoping, anyway.

Couchy81
12-12-2016, 03:34 PM
To be honest, I'd much rather lose Ricketts than Irwin, for the simple reason that one is an important starter and one is a sub. Ricketts has defied all expectations and his pace has been such a weapon but I won't feel assured with a kid carrying the team in goal.

Yah I love Ricketts but we need stability in net. Also Ricketts is a terrible passer. He can punch thru late game defenses like the kool aid man and get some good shots but man if he tries to pass / cross say goodbye to that possession.

woolly
12-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Yah I love Ricketts but we need stability in net. Also Ricketts is a terrible passer. He can punch thru late game defenses like the kool aid man and get some good shots but man if he tries to pass / cross say goodbye to that possession.

Love that mental image...

So if we lose Ricketts, is Hamilton ready to step into the role as killer sub yet?

Also in the equation... If we lose Ricketts to the Whitecaps, how many goals will he score against us?

Capfan
12-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Good run TFC...... I don't see the Caps going for Ricketts, they just extended the contract of the speedy but bulging the onion bag shy Hurtado. It's believed Barnes will go, they feel obliged to give the non MLS quality Kudo another season, Techera is unlikely to be bought out, and they will be bringing in a few strikers. Ricketts is good but I don't see an international slot from Atlanta or Minn. Impact's Oduro must want to go overseas or he will be snapped up. TFC did a good job filling out the roster with ready for minutes players compared to some big blunders by Robbo.

Auzzy
12-12-2016, 04:08 PM
I would be very sad to lose Ricketts, based on salary, position, results, and his personal history. We desperately need offensive options outside of Giovinco & Altidore, so I don't want to lose one of those options. We haven't seen Hamilton in a while, but he seemed too inconsistent especially in terms of effort. (I remember Cheyrou chewing out Hamilton for that reason the last time he was on the field.)

But notthesun explained that we had to protect 3 internationals, otherwise for sure Ricketts should have been protected over Endoh. There isn't really anyone else on the protected list that I would want to lose rather than Ricketts; it's a tough one.

That's the downside of not having so many crappy overpaid international players anymore. That used to be the hallmark of TFC... :-/

Hamilton_Red
12-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Protecting Endoh - argggg... total waste IMO. Johnson - Rickets - Irwin should all be with TFC next season somehow.

Areathrasher
12-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Protecting Endoh - argggg... total waste IMO. Johnson - Rickets - Irwin should all be with TFC next season somehow.

They had no choice tbf. Min of 3 internationals had to be protected.

wopchop
12-12-2016, 04:36 PM
I can see Beitashour getting picked.

Maybe Mark Bloom, as well. His family is in Florida, he used to play in Atlanta and he is under 100k.

I don't think either side will pick Irwin, but if the do, I think Bono will be alright.

Areathrasher
12-12-2016, 04:49 PM
We all expected Orlando to take Bloom for similar reasons and they didn't.

OgtheDim
12-12-2016, 04:55 PM
We all expected Orlando to take Bloom for similar reasons and they didn't.

Well that and the name combination has a certain cachet.

ensco
12-12-2016, 04:57 PM
I will eat my hat if Beitashour is taken. The relative value of Irwin or Ricketts is higher.

Fort York Redcoat
12-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Well that and the name combination has a certain cachet.

Take a bow.

http://i.qkme.me/3u6xyi.jpg

SirBobSaget
12-12-2016, 05:07 PM

The cross he looped onto Jozy's forehead in the 2nd OT and tapping it over to Bradley to setup the 2nd goal in Montreal I would say were not so terrible.

Fort York Redcoat
12-12-2016, 05:09 PM

The opposite could be argued as well. I hoped if not expected from Ricketts watching him for Canada but the way Irwin barely got his start back from Kid Bono re-evaluates him IMO.

I want to keep em all but of the two, Irwin is not on the up and is still in a comeback stage for me.

ensco
12-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Irwin v Ricketts is a very tough call.

Based on recent form, it's Ricketts in a walk. The guy has been fantastic. But I haven't totally forgotten his body of CMNT work, which doesn't exactly suggest that he can be impactful like this over the long run.

Irwin is kind of the opposite - he has a better long term body of work, but he didn't come up with a single save against Montreal, and looked shaky in other games in the second half of the year.

Either could easily come back to haunt us.

btw Irwin being available makes me think that exposing him means that TFC still have their first rounder (perhaps that was the condition, if they protected him Colorado got the pick), which also makes me think that pick will get traded tomorrow, if it can be used to try to retain whichever one of these guys moves. But it's only 25th overall or whatever, it's weak currency.

I think Ricketts will be the one who gets claimed, he's the one who has been performing in the shop window. It's a "what have you done for me lately" world.

It'll take a lot to get him off whoever takes him, and we are unlikely to be able to compete if someone will offer a decent first rounder.

I don't think Bez is getting any sleep tonight, phones in every team office will be going all night as Atlanta and Minnesota run these auctions. This is a huge day tomorrow.

Auzzy
12-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Really fckin nuts that almost all our Canadian players still count as internationals in the US, which greatly affects their options, trade value, etc. Yet those same Canadians that are protected from the Expansion Draft, don't count as one the the three Internationals that we have to protect. Hence Endoh getting protected, instead of the more valuable Ricketts.

wopchop
12-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Irwin v Ricketts is a very tough call.

Based on recent form, it's Ricketts in a walk. The guy has been fantastic. But I haven't totally forgotten his body of CMNT work, which doesn't exactly suggest that he can be impactful like this over the long run.

Irwin is kind of the opposite - he has a better long term body of work, but he didn't come up with a single save against Montreal, and looked shaky in other games in the second half of the year.

Either could easily come back to haunt us.

btw Irwin being available makes me think that exposing him means that TFC still have their first rounder (perhaps that was the condition, if they protected him Colorado got the pick), which also makes me think that pick will get traded tomorrow, if it can be used to try to retain whichever one of these guys moves. But it's only 25th overall or whatever, it's weak currency.

I think Ricketts will be the one who gets claimed, he's the one who has been performing in the shop window. It's a "what have you done for me lately" world.

It'll take a lot to get him off whoever takes him, and we are unlikely to be able to compete if someone will offer a decent first rounder.

I don't think Bez is getting any sleep tonight, phones in every team office will be going all night as Atlanta and Minnesota run these auctions. This is a huge day tomorrow.
Fair assessment. I think Ricketts could be the most likely and tempting for either team.

Definitely don't want to see him go.

ensco
12-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Another guy that I predict there will be an auction for is Gideon Baah, unless Atlanta or Minnesota just keep him.

He's much better value than Beitashour, even though he's an international and coming off an injury. He is a stud, 25 years old, a potential cornerstone piece. Very surprised to see him unprotected.

Blindside16
12-13-2016, 03:50 AM
Another way I can see tomorrow playing out is Bez making a move along the lines of the draft pick, TAM and probably an international spot to bring back whoever we lose tomorrow

David_Oliveira
12-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Looks like SI.com did a mock draft. http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/12/12/mls-expansion-draft-mock-atlanta-united-minnesota

They think Bloom might go to Atlanta.

David_Oliveira
12-13-2016, 08:23 AM
SBNation thinks Beits might be taken by Minnisota
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/12/8/13884920/mls-expansion-draft-2016-atlanta-minnesota-united-mock-draft

Abou Sky
12-13-2016, 08:36 AM
If Beitashour isn't taken I think that we will waive and re-sign him.

Don Julio
12-13-2016, 09:08 AM
If it was me I'd take Irwin. Takes care of an entire position for 5 years at a very reasonable cost, with very little risk. There's very little chance he won't return to pre-injury form next year.

Ricketts and Beitashour are both on a downward trajectory because of their age. I'd be looking for younger players as an expansion team.

Gringo Starr
12-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Macmath is protected, if Minny takes a keeper I can see it being Irwin. That would suck

David_Oliveira
12-13-2016, 10:14 AM
I don't think any keepers will be taken. Atlanta has a Greek keeper already signed and Minnesota is supposedly signing Guzan when the winter window opens up.

SirBobSaget
12-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Looks like Atlanta have been busy assembling their roster, already have 14 players signed. They seem already set everywhere except defenders. I predict they will be looking for veteran defenders and/or cheap young backups. Can see them taking Beitashour or Bloom.

Minnesota have done a whole lot of nothing so harder to predict what their intentions might be.

JT Red127
12-13-2016, 10:36 AM
I don't think any keepers will be taken. Atlanta has a Greek keeper already signed and Minnesota is supposedly signing Guzan when the winter window opens up.

Atlanta is the club rumoured to be signing Guzan. I could easily see Minnesota taking Irwin.

ensco
12-13-2016, 10:40 AM
I still think it's Ricketts. The guy would be on anyone's short list for MLS playoffs MVP, if they had that award.

Voodooman
12-13-2016, 10:52 AM
I can also see Minnesota liking Chris Seitz though after the season he had. Possibility?

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 11:08 AM
I still think it's Ricketts. The guy would be on anyone's short list for MLS playoffs MVP, if they had that award.

The only reason I wonder about that is him taking up an international roster spot. He was a player that was available to everyone before finally signing with Toronto after an extended trial. We shall see I guess.

ensco
12-13-2016, 11:34 AM
The only reason I wonder about that is him taking up an international roster spot. He was a player that was available to everyone before finally signing with Toronto after an extended trial. We shall see I guess.

He had a complex contract problem that took months to resolve.

He is not an international in Vancouver or Montreal.

David_Oliveira
12-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Oh ok. That changes things then

Atlanta is the club rumoured to be signing Guzan. I could easily see Minnesota taking Irwin.

dupont
12-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Irwin is a great keeper on a very reasonable salary. Personally, I really don't want to lose him. I just don't understand.

Fort York Redcoat
12-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Montreal Donny Toia
NYRB Chris Duvall
Dallas Zach Lloyd

Houston Colin Warner

TORONTO CLINT IRWIN

notthesun
12-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Expansion draft underway, first two picks are Donny Toia to Atlanta and Chris Duvall to Minnesota. 2 cheap fullbacks. Beitashour and Bloom are possibly safe...

Donald Duck
12-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Warner now

Red CB Toronto
A former Red on the move in Colin Warner to Minnesota.

Red4ever
Baaaaah!

GerMc
Atlanta United took Clint Irwin in the third round.

Donald Duck
Clint Irwin gone

Fort York Redcoat
12-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Clint Irwin gone.

That's it for Toronto

Initial B
I knew it. They're going to go for an international keeper.

Red CB Toronto
Goodbye Clint for now, wonder if will be back via trade.

Red4ever
Clint Irwin has been taken. (How many times will we post this?)

Gringo Starr
Well that is a kick to the sac

Detroit_TFC
12-13-2016, 02:25 PM
I have a bad feeling about Irwin leaving, but it is what it is. Bono gets moved up or does Bez go find a new #1?

Fort York Redcoat

Does quoting count? g:D

notthesun
Atlanta is signing Guzan and they already have a Greek keeper to play backup. I don't see them holding onto Irwin at all, they're going to flip him for something.

I hope Bez had an agreement already to trade back for him.

Globetrotter
There's boatloads of keepers in the world. I'm sure we can find 1 that's better than Irwin and willing to play in Toronto.

Redpunkfiddle
12-13-2016, 02:26 PM

No, but Irwin has been taken.

Rumar
Goodbye Clint for now, wonder if will be back via trade.

I can't imagine we'd give anything more than a late draft pick for his return.

zorsofstesab
I am ok with this. Goalies are a dime a dozen. I am confident in Bono.

dupont
12-13-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm not ok with losing him. Hopefully there is some strategy here cuz I don't care about Endoh at all

Redpunkfiddle
12-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Interesting that Atlanta making the calls from a giant Secret Society conclave room and Minnesota dialling in from a rear addition built by buddy. De on starting different ambitions.

Redpunkfiddle
12-13-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm not ok with losing him. Hopefully there is some strategy here cuz I don't care about Endoh at all

Had to protect minimum of 3 internationals and that's how it rolled apparently.

notthesun
12-13-2016, 02:32 PM

We had to protect 3 international players, if we didn't protect Endoh we had to protect Cheyrou or Simonin. We didn't have a choice.

Atlanta picked another cheap GK, they have 4 keepers now. They are going to flip Irwin, just depends where.

Detroit_TFC
12-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Several people thinking that Atl may convert that Irwin pick back to TFC for GarberBux or whatever.

Red CB Toronto
Had to protect three internationals, thus Endoh was one of them.

Reg_Sims
And Atlanta just took another Goalie in Round 5... Alec Kann from Sporting KC

I have a feeling Irwin is coming back in a trade.. We can give them the Argo's

notthesun
12-13-2016, 02:35 PM
https://twitter.com/JSB_TV/status/808754828339978241

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Several people thinking that Atl may convert that Irwin pick back to TFC for GarberBux or whatever.

Would not surprise me , the Reds did the same with Lovitz after he was selected by NYCFC. Plus the Reds did get some Garber Bux for loosing Clint.

Couchy81
12-13-2016, 02:36 PM

Atlanta is drafting like it's a fantasy hockey draft.

Jpexxx
12-13-2016, 02:38 PM
https://twitter.com/JSB_TV/status/808754828339978241

User Actions
Following

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/771451479915794432/HbI03snM_bigger.jpgJulie Stewart-BinksVerified account‏@JSB_TV (https://twitter.com/JSB_TV)

Just talked to Clint Irwin who thinks he might be headed back to Toronto. #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

dupont
Thanks for the info guys, I didn't realize the internationals thing.

Red CB Toronto
So the teams that lost players each get some allocation money for their lose. With reports suggesting Clint could be on his way back to Toronto it makes sense. You agree to take a player in return for the allocation cash the other team is getting.

Detroit_TFC
12-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Would not surprise me , the Reds did the same with Lovitz after he was selected by NYCFC. Plus the Reds did get some Garber Bux for loosing Clint.

Fairly sure he's coming right back at this point, but for how much. Atl seems to be jumping right into the MLS wheeler dealer mode.

notthesun
12-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Only 1 player that made above 200k was picked (Zach Loyd). Shows that this draft was always going to be about getting cheap depth players, smart asset management by Bez to expose Beitashour.

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 02:40 PM
I can't imagine we'd give anything more than a late draft pick for his return.

Or the allocation cash the Reds receive for loosing Clint in the expansion draft.

Detroit_TFC
12-13-2016, 02:41 PM

LOL, they can do the half time entertainment for the Falcons games. I'm sorry, couldn't resist.

Fort York Redcoat
12-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Guys, are we losing our most capped player of all time -

Al Location?

https://roamindoodles.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/luke-nooooooo.jpg

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 02:42 PM
Atlanta just stated their were some pre-arraigned trades made prior to the draft, so we shall see.

rydermike
12-13-2016, 02:46 PM
https://twitter.com/DanielSquizzato/status/808756954256412672

notthesun
12-13-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm guessing we send TAM back, maybe an international slot.

rydermike
12-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Imagine if all 10 players selected got traded back to their original teams. I'd love to see how the MLS would respond to that.

Areathrasher
12-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Martino has a load of South Americans lined up. Apparently taking 3 on loan from Newells - they'll need internationals spots and allocation.

Areathrasher
12-13-2016, 03:15 PM
https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/808765216607666177

samuraizero
12-13-2016, 03:16 PM
https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/808765216607666177

fuuuck

Detroit_TFC
12-13-2016, 03:18 PM
hmmm, well that's a bit of a wrinkle...

IRE_RED
12-13-2016, 03:19 PM
This is a crazy system! If Irwin doesn't come back I'd have no problem with Bono being #1

Areathrasher
12-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Trade window is now open and Minny have traded Duvall to the Impact.

Brace yourselves...

samuraizero
12-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Is this the final count for today?

Rnd
Atlanta United
Minnesota United

D - Donny Toia (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/donny-toia) (MTL)
D - Chris Duvall (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/chris-duvall) (NY)

D - Zach Loyd (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/zach-loyd) (DAL)
M - Collen Warner (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/collen-warner) (HOU)

GK - Clint Irwin (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/clint-irwin) (TOR)
M - Mohammed Saeid (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/mohammed-saeid) (CLB)

D - Mikey Ambrose (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/mikey-ambrose) (ORL)
GK - Jeff Attinella (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/jeff-attinella) (RSL)

GK - Alec Kann (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/alec-kann) (SKC)
F - Femi Hollinger-Janzen (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/femi-hollinger-janzen) (NE)

fsimon
12-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Is this the final count for today?

Rnd
Atlanta United
Minnesota United

D - Donny Toia (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/donny-toia) (MTL)
D - Chris Duvall (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/chris-duvall) (NY)

D - Zach Loyd (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/zach-loyd) (DAL)
M - Collen Warner (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/collen-warner) (HOU)

GK - Clint Irwin (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/clint-irwin) (TOR)
M - Mohammed Saeid (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/mohammed-saeid) (CLB)

D - Mikey Ambrose (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/mikey-ambrose) (ORL)
GK - Jeff Attinella (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/jeff-attinella) (RSL)

GK - Alec Kann (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/alec-kann) (SKC)
F - Femi Hollinger-Janzen (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/femi-hollinger-janzen) (NE)

yes,the expansion draft is only 5 rounds long. 10 picks total

PopePouri
12-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Baaaaah!

He's still at the Red Bulls I believe.

Globetrotter
12-13-2016, 03:35 PM
This is a crazy system! If Irwin doesn't come back I'd have no problem with Bono being #1

That's an interesting statement for someones very first post. I remember when people on the board hear thought Brian Edwards was a good choice for us too. I can't imagine that Bono is the best available keeper on our entire globe.

samuraizero
12-13-2016, 03:36 PM
How's everyone feeling about losing Irwin.
Is Bono ready?
Any rumours of picking up another keeper?

Borga
12-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Like has been stated previously, serviceable keepers are everywhere. Some of the piles of shit we've had in the past would have looked much better had we had the same defensive group that we have now. Bono looked just fine when he was in for Irwin, so if it comes down to it next year with Bono as our starter, I'm fine with that. If Irwin gets traded back, I'm fine with that too. I don't think there's much to choose from, other than experience, between the two.

Red4ever
12-13-2016, 03:39 PM
He's still at the Red Bulls I believe.

Take my upvote.

Gringo Starr
12-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Even if Bono is ready we would need to go out an get an mls experienced keeper, best case scenerio Irwin is back via trade and he and Bono fight it out for No 1 status

notthesun
12-13-2016, 03:43 PM
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/808771987875233792

Canary10
12-13-2016, 03:43 PM
Cash and Bloom for Irwin.

mistercorporate
12-13-2016, 03:44 PM
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/808771987875233792

Fingers crossed! Would be a great deal for both sides!

Gringo Starr
12-13-2016, 03:44 PM
That works

Jpexxx
12-13-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm okay with this news.

notthesun
Pretty smart of Atlanta, rather than just picking Bloom, they pick the more valuable asset to be able to get Bloom plus allocation money. Not a heavy loss from our perspective and I wish Bloom well.

Canary10
I think we really need Irwin back. Bono did fine in those relatively meaningless games in the summer when teams in a league where 12 out of 20 make the playoffs play half-assed. But I don't think he's ready for the level of intensity of October/November/December.

12-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Welcome back Irwin! :D

Globetrotter
12-13-2016, 03:48 PM
What's his wife and Orlando/Miami going to think about that? I thought we were holding Bloom specifically to ship to Florida?

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 03:52 PM
What's his wife and Orlando/Miami going to think about that? I thought we were holding Bloom specifically to ship to Florida?

If that was the case he would have found himself with Orlando last season.

samuraizero
12-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Pretty smart of Atlanta, rather than just picking Bloom, they pick the more valuable asset to be able to get Bloom plus allocation money. Not a heavy loss from our perspective and I wish Bloom well.

They're playing the bureaucratic game too damn well!

Globetrotter
12-13-2016, 03:58 PM

If that was the case he would have found himself with Orlando last season.

Yes - I remember many an armchair reporter talking about how we earmarked Bloom to Florida.

Canary10
12-13-2016, 03:59 PM
They're playing the bureaucratic game too damn well!

Better be careful not to develop a reputation. Connor Casey anyone?

charlieocc
12-13-2016, 03:59 PM
Awesome trade, I'm really happy with that. It's like Bez paid Atlanta to make sure we don't lose anybody particularly important.

Fort York Redcoat
12-13-2016, 04:04 PM

Well let's keep this in the forefront when we go to make any changes this year because of money/cap issues.

sn0re
12-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Are there any right-backs that we can get in the re-entry draft?

Auzzy
12-13-2016, 04:26 PM

All your goalie are belong to us.

Well let's keep this in the forefront when we go to make any changes this year because of money/cap issues.

Apparently TFC got allocation cash from the league because we lost a player to the expansion draft. We'll never know how much we sent back to Atlanta, compared to what we got from the league.

PopePouri
12-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Are there any right-backs that we can get in the re-entry draft?

Kevin Alston, Chris Klute, Chad Barson, Chance Myers.

mcolvy
12-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Kevin Alston, Chris Klute, Chad Barson, Chance Myers.

Chance Myers is an aggressive kid.He isnt as strong on defense but would be a solid wingback............I want to lose Beit

sn0re
12-13-2016, 04:54 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/808790021994151940

Shakes McQueen
12-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Must have been an interesting day for Irwin, haha.

Donald Duck
12-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Yes!! he is back!!!

Donald Duck
12-13-2016, 05:01 PM
and Bloom is gone. No surprise

IRE_RED
12-13-2016, 05:02 PM
Globtrotter - Not sure what you mean by that. Hopefully my second post is to your liking.

rydermike
12-13-2016, 05:06 PM
A really smart thing for expansion teams to do in the future would be to identify the 5 players you want and pre-arrange deals for all of them by selecting 5 different players from those teams (ie. like protecting a 12th player - pick this player and then trade him back to us) and then sending the selected player for the player they want + half of the allocation that team got for the pick. Gets some allocation and allows the other team to get some allocation and essentially protecting 12 players instead of 11. Build up some goodwill with other teams for future.

mistercorporate
12-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Excellentttt!! I could kiss Harry Potter Bezbatchenko right now!

Don Julio
12-13-2016, 05:20 PM

Irwin would have been made aware of the arrangement ahead of time, I'm sure.

Shakes McQueen
12-13-2016, 05:22 PM
So do we get a press conference where they unveil the Irwin signing? Haha

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Irwin would have been made aware of the arrangement ahead of time, I'm sure.

That would have been the case, he would have not been left to ponder such a move, thinking of having to get a house in Buckhead.

Reg_Sims
12-13-2016, 05:40 PM
A really smart thing for expansion teams to do in the future would be to identify the 5 players you want and pre-arrange deals for all of them by selecting 5 different players from those teams (ie. like protecting a 12th player - pick this player and then trade him back to us) and then sending the selected player for the player they want + half of the allocation that team got for the pick. Gets some allocation and allows the other team to get some allocation and essentially protecting 12 players instead of 11. Build up some goodwill with other teams for future.

The League could also put in a rule stating that players selected in the Expansion Drafts going forward, cannot be traded back to the original team for 12 months.

SirBobSaget
12-13-2016, 05:57 PM
So do we get a press conference where they unveil the Irwin signing? Haha

Toronto FC have acquired an MLS Cup Finalist GK!!!!

lsi2000
12-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Haha ... Auzzy... love the quote "All your goalie are belong to us." Jokes!

ManUtd4ever
12-13-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm glad we got Irwin back. Bono had a very impressive run this season and is our starting keeper of the future, but it's important to have two quality keepers in the fold over the course of an entire season, especially with the CCL matches on the horizon.

Mr. Bigby
12-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Sorry to lose Mark Bloom. He was a class guy who did well for us when times were tough, and gave a good effort whether starting or coming in from the bench. I wish him and his young family all the best in Atlanta. I hope this allows him more time together with his wife and children!

ag futbol
12-13-2016, 07:32 PM
The expansion draft thing just has to be scrapped. The league is unstable enough as it is for guys at the bottom of MLS rosters - shuffling people around isn't helping sell anyone on playing in North America.

Globetrotter
12-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Globtrotter - Not sure what you mean by that. Hopefully my second post is to your liking.

No ill-will intended. The reference was to another backup we had years ago and many on the forum thought he was the second coming of Jesus, or at least the only option available on the global market. I feel Bono might fall into the same boat. He may turn out to be the best keeper MLS ever sees - but to win now, I think there's other guys that are floating around somewhere that are notches above Bono. The world is a giant place, and lots of options out there.

OgtheDim
12-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Toronto FC have acquired an MLS Cup Finalist GK!!!!

For a second there I wondered what team you were talking about...

Fort York Redcoat
12-14-2016, 08:45 AM

That's an interesting statement for someones very first post. I remember when people on the board hear thought Brian Edwards was a good choice for us too. I can't imagine that Bono is the best available keeper on our entire globe.

Interesting statement for a regular poster.

IRE didn't state Bono was his choice for best in world just that he was ok with it.

I disagree and think Bono still needs to be challenged for the number 1 but I welcome a new poster that may think its a crazy system. Especially if they still sound like they want to see where this league of crazy takes us next year.

I've learned to love how many differences and nuances make this, our league, so unique but still attractive to footballers around the world.

Cheers to both of you, and of course, Irwin.

Canary10
12-14-2016, 09:45 AM

I hope he didn't sell his house.

ensco
12-14-2016, 10:11 AM
I am relieved that we didn't lose anyone from the core, and frankly, Bloom needs his shot, and needs to play (same for Chapman, Hamilton, and Delgado, we need to find them real minutes).

Bez/Manning should get everyone signed, then go enjoy some golf. This group has earned the right to be kept 100% intact. The attacking piece Jozy was talking about, I was a bit mystified there, but that could easily be solved by Chapman, and a more settled Cooper.....

If we need something, let's do it in the summer window.

C.Ronaldo
12-14-2016, 10:30 AM
why cant that AM be seba for some games, rickets can score with service, same with Jozy, and Hamilton is a pretty clinical finisher as well

cures those long balls to the short guy issue we sometimes have

Fort York Redcoat
12-14-2016, 11:19 AM
I am relieved that we didn't lose anyone from the core, and frankly, Bloom needs his shot, and needs to play (same for Chapman, Hamilton, and Delgado, we need to find them real minutes).

Bez/Manning should get everyone signed, then go enjoy some golf. This group has earned the right to be kept 100% intact. The attacking piece Jozy was talking about, I was a bit mystified there, but that could easily be solved by Chapman, and a more settled Cooper.....

If we need something, let's do it in the summer window.

LOL!

What and NOT keep us on the edge of seats for an off-season? I'd love it but it would be without precedent!

Hope it happens, though.

mistercorporate
12-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Theyre getting tons of new allocation money (Garber bucks), let's tool up this off-season! Focus the cash on upgrading our depth and getting one quality AM and RB (basically Justin Morrow on the right). Our results this year and the presence of all our national teamers will make us an attractive career move for lots of players.

ensco
12-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Theyre getting tons of new allocation money (Garber bucks)

They need this to keep everyone. Guys on good teams expect and should get raises, sometimes big raises.

Don Julio
12-14-2016, 04:18 PM
If you don't get improve you get worse in this sport.

ensco
12-14-2016, 05:39 PM
If you don't get improve you get worse in this sport.

I don't disagree, but how you get there matters.

Pay the guys, give the kids a shot to be that improvement, and at the same time save a bullet. Be smart by being patient. Keep something for the summer transfer window. That's generally when the best players move. It's how Seattle got Lodeiro.

mistercorporate
12-15-2016, 11:35 AM
We got Giovinco in the off-season. Not contradicting you, but there are opportunities to be had early in the year.

BritSOL
12-15-2016, 12:18 PM
We got Giovinco in the off-season. Not contradicting you, but there are opportunities to be had early in the year.

Don't forget that Giovinco was originally meant to arrive mid season, but fortunately for us was released early.