PDA

View Full Version : The 'Alex Bono is quite a decent keeper' thread

James17930
08-21-2016, 01:50 AM
Just thought Bono deserves some big props for his play since taking over for Irwin. Actually raises the question of what TFC should do once Irwin is healthy ... does Bono keep the starting job?

Also, they might have a bit of a dilemma on their hands in the off-season due to the Expansion draft. I think it's quite possible either Minnesota and/or Atlanta would be interested in either Bono/Irwin as a potential starting or back-up keeper, so TFC would have to protect both of them of they wanted to for sure keep both of them, which might leave some of our young, outfield players exposed ...

So should TFC maybe try to trade Bono directly after the season while his stock is high? Or trade Irwin? Or can we realistically keep both?

mistercorporate
08-21-2016, 05:56 AM
Alex Bono is a Generation Adidas player, he's protected from the Draft automatically.

OgtheDim
08-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Irwin is 27 - in theory he will be TFC's keeper for 8 years. He will only get better and will eventually be our version of Rimando, possibly with even the USMNT call ups.

Vanney has said and Bono has indicated he agrees that Irwin gets the job when he comes back. Bono is auditioning for a trade to be a starter or a new contract with a team once this one runs out. I would think though they won't trade Bono until they think Q is ready again to be the backup.

kodiakTFC
08-21-2016, 09:13 AM
I agree that Bono has played well. Which has honestly surprised me because everything I read about his play with TFC2 was underwhelming. Good for him though.

Bobo
08-21-2016, 09:35 AM
I think the jury is still out on the kid. He's definitely been a lot better of late, but given his first couple of performances, that doesn't necessarily say a whole lot. It's a keeper's job to make some saves, and he's said as much. Still, positive steps for the future, for sure.

James17930
08-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Alex Bono is a Generation Adidas player, he's protected from the Draft automatically.

Okay, well that's good ... so if he does go it will most likely be through a trade.

Though yeah, he does seem like he's auditioning for a starter's position somewhere else ... But oh well, we're benefitting now.

What's the ETA on Irwin?

Redcoe15
08-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Ever since he let in that bad goal against San Jose, Bono has played very, very well for our side.

Yohan
08-21-2016, 11:15 AM
I think the jury is still out on the kid. He's definitely been a lot better of late, but given his first couple of performances, that doesn't necessarily say a whole lot. It's a keeper's job to make some saves, and he's said as much. Still, positive steps for the future, for sure.
Ever since the SJ game, Bono has had couple of shaky moments esp spilling some shots, he's been solid. As good as most MLS starters for most part.
Early mistakes were nerves and lack of concentration which he seemed to have gotten out of his system hopefully.

Irwin is #1, but Bono as #2 is pretty damn good for depth

notthesun
08-21-2016, 11:19 AM
I questioned the decision to go with Bono over Roberts when Irwin went down, and I still kind of do to be honest. But we're far past that point now - Bono has bounced back well from that mistake vs. SJ and shown himself to be good enough to get us by until Irwin returns. Kudos to him.

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2016, 11:30 AM
I questioned the decision to go with Bono over Roberts when Irwin went down, and I still kind of do to be honest. But we're far past that point now - Bono has bounced back well from that mistake vs. SJ and shown himself to be good enough to get us by until Irwin returns. Kudos to him.

Seconded. Bono would've kept for next season. Q may've seen his last season here to prove himself.

Cashcleaner
08-21-2016, 11:44 AM
I can't think of a more agreeable thread title. :D

The sooner Irwin gets back, the better. But Bono has done a pretty good job (for the most part) convincing me he's a good pick for back-up in goal. Wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around with the club for a while.

Richard
08-21-2016, 11:51 AM
In a capped league I would trade Irwin in a heartbeat if Bono continues this strong form.

Saving 200K is not insignificant.

Keepers are very easy to find, the cheaper we can get them the better, allocating 200K elsewhere on the pitch would be tremendous given how were pushing for a championship.

EDIT: Hold on, I just realised Clint Irwin is on 107K. I thought it was around 300K.

OgtheDim
08-21-2016, 12:49 PM
27 year old very good experienced MLS keepers are not easy to find.

Detroit_TFC
08-21-2016, 01:16 PM
I was all about getting Bono out. His performances not only last night but others as well, has shown me something new. It seems like he's been through a real "make or break" experience with these starting assignments.

Cashcleaner
08-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Keepers are very easy to find, the cheaper we can get them the better, allocating 200K elsewhere on the pitch would be tremendous given how were pushing for a championship.

EDIT: Hold on, I just realised Clint Irwin is on 107K. I thought it was around 300K.

Yeah, that puts a whole new angle to the topic. Irwin is a fine Goalkeeper AND he's here for a pretty good price. If we were spending big money on him (like over 300K), opinions would probably (and rightly) change on the issue of our starting GK.

Yohan
08-21-2016, 01:31 PM
Let's not get carried away here. As good as Bono has been, I would never ride a youngster as #1 GK in a contender team.

mistercorporate
08-21-2016, 01:35 PM
We need both of them, keepers get injured, give them both minutes, we have tons of games next year..

GhostKiller
08-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Bono has been decent but no doubt that Irwin is #1. He is unarguably a far better keeper.

KGH
08-21-2016, 03:13 PM

Hes a GA this year. I would wager that based on the amount he's playing now he'll graduate and not be an automatic protected player. Like most things MLS the rules aren't transparent so we won't find out until the end of the season.

molenshtain
08-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Hes a GA this year. I would wager that based on the amount he's playing now he'll graduate and not be an automatic protected player. Like most things MLS the rules aren't transparent so we won't find out until the end of the season.

that's not how it works. He's on a two year contract with a two year team option at the end that we'll presumably pick up. His GA contract lasts four years in total.

Areathrasher
08-21-2016, 04:22 PM
that's not how it works. He's on a two year contract with a two year team option at the end that we'll presumably pick up. His GA contract lasts four years in total.

Nope, you can graduate from GA before the expiration of your deal based on mins or performance targets being met. Once you graduate you hit the cap and are eligible for the expansion draft.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/11/28/7298553/eriq-zavaleta-graduates-generation-adidas
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2014/11/26/kekuta-manneh-omar-salgado-eriq-zavaleta-david-bingham-graduate-generation-adidas

Yohan
08-21-2016, 04:23 PM
a player can 'graduate' from GA status pending on how many mins he's played (it's pretty subjective)

molenshtain
08-21-2016, 04:26 PM
huh. wasn't aware of that. my bad.

that's a really dumb rule though.

Yohan
08-21-2016, 04:57 PM
GA was suppose to be a temporary cap relief thing from MLS 1.0 era. MLS didn't want teams to stock up on GAs to circumvent the cap while playing them in the first team. Parity

Auzzy
08-21-2016, 06:48 PM
I agree Bono is good, and has gotten much better. Still needs a bit of improvement when high balls come into the box, in terms of decision making (go for it or not), and in terms of being totally ruthless if he does. That is normal though for a keeper of his age & experience. In that context, I liked the way he got there first & punched the ball away on a key play vs. Philadelphia.

Does anyone think Irwin might have stopped the Philly goal last night? It was a great header, but Bono got a good hand to it, and with Irwin's strength & reach, he might have stopped it??? I'm not sure, just guessing.

portu
08-21-2016, 06:52 PM
I agree Bono is good, and has gotten much better. Still needs a bit of improvement when high balls come into the box, in terms of decision making (go for it or not), and in terms of being totally ruthless if he does. That is normal though for a keeper of his age & experience. In that context, I liked the way he got there first & punched the ball away on a key play vs. Philadelphia.

Does anyone think Irwin might have stopped the Philly goal last night? It was a great header, but Bono got a good hand to it, and with Irwin's strength & reach, he might have stopped it??? I'm not sure, just guessing.
I totally agree with all of this.

irwin probably saves that goal but he's a different class of keeper imo

dupont
08-21-2016, 07:06 PM
Any indication when Irwin is due back?

OgtheDim
08-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Journo's told Irwin is likely back for Montreal.

James17930
08-22-2016, 07:25 PM

Maybe just because Irwin is taller with longer arms ... so it's possible.

I'm just wondering if people thought Bono might have trade value if we want to maximize his strong play of late. If Irwin is the uncontested #1 and Roberts is a good-enough back-up? With Bono getting this many minutes now, I don't know if he'll be content to go back to back-upping.

Yohan
08-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Maybe just because Irwin is taller with longer arms ... so it's possible.

I'm just wondering if people thought Bono might have trade value if we want to maximize his strong play of late. If Irwin is the uncontested #1 and Roberts is a good-enough back-up? With Bono getting this many minutes now, I don't know if he'll be content to go back to back-upping.
What does TFC need to trade for? Bono is a GA so no cap hit and young. You can get a lot for Bono, but for what?

And if I was Bono, I'd stay with TFC. Probably better chance of winning a trophy. I'd consider moving to another team afterwards for first team mins.

Abou Sky
08-23-2016, 05:56 PM
What does TFC need to trade for? Bono is a GA so no cap hit and young. You can get a lot for Bono, but for what?

And if I was Bono, I'd stay with TFC. Probably better chance of winning a trophy. I'd consider moving to another team afterwards for first team mins.

I think that TFC should keep Bono, but Bono is MLS starter material.

Not as good as Irwin, but if I were him I would be looking for minutes.

James17930
08-23-2016, 07:10 PM

Well, my original thought was that if we might lose him in the expansion draft, we should try to get something for him (even allocation money or whatever), but now that I know he's GA and is protected all that doesn't matter.

KGH
08-23-2016, 07:51 PM
Well, my original thought was that if we might lose him in the expansion draft, we should try to get something for him (even allocation money or whatever), but now that I know he's GA and is protected all that doesn't matter.

Might be protected.

Players can can graduate from generation adidas anytime during their first contract. What matters is the amount of time they get. I wouldn't be surprised based on this year that he graduates which would mean he's a player we'd have to protect.

molenshtain
08-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Maybe. I'm not sure 12 starts over two years is enough for him to graduate from GA. A lot of GA players are everyday starters for their teams for multiple seasons before they sign senior contracts.

Yohan
08-23-2016, 09:11 PM
GKs tend to graduate from GA a bit later than outfield players.
Cyle Larin is still GA and he's logged a lot of mins last season

James17930
08-24-2016, 10:26 AM

Yeah, if Larin is still GA than Bono def. will be.

Richard
08-24-2016, 10:36 AM

How in the world is Cyle not "graduated" from that contract after scoring so many goals. A GA doesn't count against the budget right? Talk about unbalanced.