PDA

View Full Version : American Players on TFC

trane
07-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I have to confess that when it comes too Footy I have developed a real anti American feeling. I like the players we have and had, I like Wyne and Dunny, and I though Goldie gave it his all, but Edu's loyalty to his National Team over TFC irritates me. But partly because of National Teams rivarly with the US, and partly becaue what I am perceving as a negative attitude by American, and American player toward TFC, and partly because I do not like the American approach to the game, I would rather see less and not more Americans on our team.

I am not proud of this, and I think that this is a result of my Canadian nationalism, and our relatioship with the US on one hadn the closests of friend on the other rivals. I do not hate Americans of American players, I just feel like they our natrual sport rivals.

What do you guys think.

Jay P
07-28-2008, 11:55 AM
you must hate amado

RealG-TFC
07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
^^ Green card?

RealG-TFC
07-28-2008, 12:00 PM
At the beginning I felt the same way but they seem to really like the city and have become attached to Toronto and the club.

Whoop
07-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Umm, I don't think it's a TFC thing.

Clubs all over the world are having the same issue. The Olympics are a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The chance to put on your country's jersey is a special one.

If anything blame MLS for scheduling games when international games are scheduled.

I don't begrudge those guys one bit.

CretanBull
07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
If I were a player, I'd chose country over club every time. A guy like Edu plays for TFC now, but who knows about the future? but he'll always be an American....

PS - I also think that anti-Americanism of any sort is stupid...

TFC07
07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
I have to confess that when it comes too Footy I have developed a real anti American feeling. I like the players we have and had, I like Wyne and Dunny, and I though Goldie gave it his all, but Edu's loyalty to his National Team over TFC irritates me. But partly because of National Teams rivarly with the US, and partly becaue what I am perceving as a negative attitude by American, and American player toward TFC, and partly because I do not like the American approach to the game, I would rather see less and not more Americans on our team.

I am not proud of this, and I think that this is a result of my Canadian nationalism, and our relatioship with the US on one hadn the closests of friend on the other rivals. I do not hate Americans of American players, I just feel like they our natrual sport rivals.

What do you guys think.

Agreed. I didn't really have any problems with Americans until I met some USA soccer fans. I can't believe how anti-Canadian some of these Americans are......It just adds more fuel to my hate towards Americans.

TFC07
07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
^^ Green card?

Yup. He has a green card. The same can be said about Marshall and Cunny (both are from Jamaica) as well.

Fort York Redcoat
07-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I'll back up trane as far as I think he's just a patriot who wants more Canadians and non Americans on the team. I share that opinion not because its America in particular but substitute any larger neighboring country that has a majority in a league and they will immidiately be resented. I personally don't rate the Olympics but understand the rare occasion for footbalers from any nation. As for green cards wouldn't they have to have them to play in America anyway?

profit89
07-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Country over club.. No fault on player for choosing so.

TFC Via Buffalo
07-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I am not thrilled with the Olympic stuff either, but I bitched just as much when everyone else was doing qualifying stuff for there country.

I will defend the US guys a little more then I should, because I'm a little more defensive with them. I guess I'm becoming a lot like Canadian fans. You guys have an overwhelming passion for "your guys" and a pride in your country that I stated in that whole anthem thread that is second to none. After the second game this year where I saw many other flags being hung up but not the US, I decided to start hanging one behind me. (I still hang it, but the US flag was added to that group going across the west side). Plus, I just got Edwards put on my jersey last week, which I'm pretty sure is the first request for that one.

But, don't worry, I'm just as pissed at Edu's play as everyone else. I'm not that blind. :)

The rivalry between US & Canada will always be there. Hopefully it stays as passioned, yet friendly as I've seen it.

trane
07-28-2008, 12:23 PM
If I were a player, I'd chose country over club every time. A guy like Edu plays for TFC now, but who knows about the future? but he'll always be an American....

I do not blame him either, I would be the same way. I just think that you should have more pride in the club you play for, then Edu seems to display.

TFC Via Buffalo
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Agreed. I didn't really have any problems with Americans until I met some USA soccer fans. I can't believe how anti-Canadian some of these Americans are......It just adds more fuel to my hate towards Americans.

We don't all feel that way. Can I buy you a beer in a sign of good faith?

trane
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I am not thrilled with the Olympic stuff either, but I bitched just as much when everyone else was doing qualifying stuff for there country.

I will defend the US guys a little more then I should, because I'm a little more defensive with them. I guess I'm becoming a lot like Canadian fans. You guys have an overwhelming passion for "your guys" and a pride in your country that I stated in that whole anthem thread that is second to none. After the second game this year where I saw many other flags being hung up but not the US, I decided to start hanging one behind me. (I still hang it, but the US flag was added to that group going across the west side). Plus, I just got Edwards put on my jersey last week, which I'm pretty sure is the first request for that one.

But, don't worry, I'm just as pissed at Edu's play as everyone else. I'm not that blind. :)

The rivalry between US & Canada will always be there. Hopefully it stays as passioned, yet friendly as I've seen it.

As I said for me it is limited to Football and the pitch, simple as that, there is no real animosity, our countries are too close for that in every other way.

werewolf
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
There are players I don't like because they are douchebags, the fact that they are American doesn't help their cause in my eyes...donovan, hejduk, klestjan, mastroeni etc.

Whoop
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
^^
But if they were on TFC they would A-OK!

:lol:

adampz
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
What would the Premier league be without players from other countries. Dont blame americans, its major league soccers fucked up schedule

Strikers
07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
If anything blame MLS for scheduling games when international games are scheduled.

That is true for WCQ, WC, & Gold Cup but not the Olympics.

Most leagues start up in August the same time as the Olympics.

Dirk Diggler
07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
If people hate Americans so much than how come they come support our team playing in an American league? Lets get serious here people. There is no rivalry between us and the Americans aside from some childish comments on the internet message boards like Bigsoccer or whatever.

trane
07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
There are players I don't like because they are douchebags, the fact that they are American doesn't help their cause in my eyes...donovan, hejduk, klestjan, mastroeni etc.

I am with you, and I am not sure that I woudl be OK if they were on TFC, I do not like the overall style of play and attitude, they think that they are World Class. While they do have quality they need to be more humble and learn.

ilikemusic
I love that someone like Steve Nash is villified when he chooses not to play internationally and guys like Wynne are being knocked for choosing to play for their country.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with our guys going to the Olympics. Theyre under 23 so we are obligated to release them.

And if the sentiment is simlpy 'theyre American so they arent as dedicated to us as they should be' well, I havent got a rebuttle becuase that is just stupid.

The moaning over Edu's personal website is especially annoying.

MLS is a minor league. International appearances will always take precedence and I dont blame Edu one bit for feeling the same way.

And I hate to agree with Dirk Diggler but if youre making judgements about American soccer fans based on the overwhelming amount of vocal morons on bigsoccer then you should probably get out more.

RealG-TFC
If people hate Americans so much than how come they come support our team playing in an American league? Lets get serious here people. There is no rivalry between us and the Americans aside from some childish comments on the internet message boards like Bigsoccer or whatever.

There isn't an indication here that anyone hates America that much.

trane
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I love that someone like Steve Nash is villified when he chooses not to play internationally and guys like Wynne are being knocked for choosing to play for their country.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with our guys going to the Olympics. Theyre under 23 so we are obligated to release them.

And if the sentiment is simlpy 'theyre American so they arent as dedicated to us as they should be' well, I havent got a rebuttle becuase that is just stupid.

The moaning over Edu's personal website is especially annoying.

MLS is a minor league. International appearances will always take precedence and I dont blame Edu one bit for feeling the same way.

And I hate to agree with Dirk Diggler but if youre making judgements about American soccer fans based on the overwhelming amount of vocal morons on bigsoccer then you should probably get out more.

Edu is the only player who currenlty plays for us, whom I have concenrs about. But in general I do not like the attitude of Americans toward Toronto and TFC. I have heard alot of negative nationalist shit in the stand from visitng supporters.

My concern is that American players will not have the loyalty to the club needed, day in and day out. I want this franchise to be the franchise in the MLS, and for that we need players that want this to happend, not who just see this as another team, on par with Columbus and Salt Lake.

One of the reason we have BMO, and TFC by connection is to develop football in Canada, and for the National team, at this point we are doing as much to develop the US National team.

I do not HATE Americans, or the US.

Dirk Diggler
07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Man, what difference does it make if the American players don't display constant loyalty towards TFC (which is complete speculation anyways). TFC is still a very new club with no history. What kinda loyalty can one expect? I mean look at Ronaldo. The kid clearly has no loyalty towards ManUre what so ever. Do you think any Man U fans cared about that last season when he won them the double? This is the kind of topic that people probably discussed 30 years ago when the Jays came to town. It should be a non-topic by now.

And btw ilikemusic, why do you hate to agree with me :D ?

ilikemusic
07-28-2008, 12:54 PM
You just always seem to be a contrarian, and sometimes it seems unjustified. Thats all. :D

CretanBull
07-28-2008, 12:58 PM
We don't all feel that way. Can I buy you a beer in a sign of good faith?

If I pretend to hate Americans, will you buy me a beer? :D

bangersandmash
07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
The likes of Edu and Wynne are not likely to evolve into better players by playing in the MLS day in and day out. It's the international competitions that will force them to step up their game, learn and evolve. The hope is that they bring a higher game back to TFC. So far TFC's experience with international commitments has been overwhelmingly negative -- see Sutton last year.

I think this is where Carver's policy about fighting for you place is a good thing. No one can come back from international duty saying "I'm a full international, put me in!" They have to fight with the Smith's and Ibrahim's of the world to prove they are better than, not equal to the person who filled the spot while they were out wearing the national kit.

Ivan
07-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Our club plays in an American league, end of. We can and should want more Canadian players but you can't fault management for selecting American players. To me it's kinda like a comparison to (can't believe I'm sayin' this) Cardiff City. There is a Welsh league but no one watches it so Cardiff supporters follow a team in the larger English loops. We have the CSL still going strong but not many get behind it, so we support a team playing in an American league. Personally, I watch a lot of CSL and would love to see it take off as a national league with big crowds and developing Canadian internationals but that's not going to happen anytime soon, so MLS and American players it is.

Dirk Diggler
07-28-2008, 01:03 PM
You just always seem to be a contrarian, and sometimes it seems unjustified. Thats all. :D

Why thank you. That's quite a compliment in my eyes :)

Northern Soul
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
The fact of the matter is that you'll find ignorant people everywhere, including....yep.....Canada. We tend to notice the (minority) of arrogant, abrasive people more than the (majority) of respectful individuals.

As far as the American players on TFC...why wouldn't they play for their country? As a Canadian, I'd be honoured to play for my country in any sport.

Ivan
07-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Our club plays in an American league, end of. We can and should want more Canadian players but you can't fault management for selecting American players. To me it's kinda like a comparison to (can't believe I'm sayin' this) Cardiff City. There is a Welsh league but no one watches it so Cardiff supporters follow a team in the larger English loops. We have the CSL still going strong but not many get behind it, so we support a team playing in an American league. Personally, I watch a lot of CSL and would love to see it take off as a national league with big crowds and developing Canadian internationals but that's not going to happen anytime soon, so MLS and American players it is.

> Okay, the CSL is not really "still going strong", it's just going, but it's not getting any smaller. You know what I mean. And I just had two pints at a business lunch.... :sleep:

colman1860
07-28-2008, 01:29 PM

I disagree. Judging by what that country has done politically on a national and international level (geneva convention, anybody? seperating the church and the state? (something most countries figured out in the 18t century)) i dont see any problems with being anti-american.
HOWEVER, i dont see maurice edu torturing 15 year old afghans. what i really dont like is all americans being tarred with one brush.
But do I hate the USA? Hell yeah.

TFC Via Buffalo
07-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I disagree. Judging by what that country has done politically on a national and international level (geneva convention, anybody? seperating the church and the state? (something most countries figured out in the 18t century)) i dont see any problems with being anti-american.
HOWEVER, i dont see maurice edu torturing 15 year old afghans. what i really dont like is all americans being tarred with one brush.

Can we just preface this with the last 8 years has almost destroyed the US? The reason for all our problems, on and off the pitch and politically always comes back to one, horrible place.......

Ohio.

trane
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
^ Again I do not share any anti-American sentiment, I am not generaly in line with Republicans and their foreign policy, but America is not the great Satan, far from it. The US and Britain are Canada's closests allies and friends. My issue is just on the Pitch. WE ARE RIVALS, THAT DOES NOT MEAN I HATE THEM. The word hate has been ussed a bit too much.

TFC Via Buffalo
07-28-2008, 02:30 PM
^ Again I do not share any anti-American sentiment, I am not generaly in line with Republicans and their foreign policy, but America is not the great Satan, far from it. The US and Britain are Canada's closests allies and friends. My issue is just on the Pitch. WE ARE RIVALS, THAT DOES NOT MEAN I HATE THEM. The word hate has been ussed a bit too much.

I'm not saying you at all. I quoted colman1860. I hear you on the points you're making.

Broadview
07-28-2008, 02:57 PM
From what I've seen of Edu playing for the USNT, he's been just as invisible/crappy playing for them as he has been for us.

Beach_Red
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
When people in the rest of the world launch into anti-Americanism I always think, okay, they don't really know what's going on in the US, but when Canadians do it I always think we should know better.

We're close enough and informed enough to know how much dissent there is in America and that no matter how mad the rest of the world is at America at any given moment, there are millions of Americans a lot more pissed off about whatever issue it is.

As for national team stuff, in many ways it's a new idea in North American sports. Mostly because the sports we've played up till lately have all been pretty much North American. But things are changing fast.

Up until recently whenever Canada won a gold medal in hockey against some European country we'd have to admit we just beat a bunch of guys who couldn't make the soccer team and if we beat the US it was a bunch of guys who couldn't make the baseball team, the football team OR the basketball team.

And, when some country lost to Canada in soccer they had to live with the fact they lost against eleven guys who couldn't make the hockey team.

But that's all changing. Within the next generation there will be millions of Americans and Canadians who will say soccer is their number sport.

CretanBull
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Maybe the dumbest post I've ever read.

The Bush Administration has done some terrible things. That's a reason to hate Bush & his administration, not the entire country. Bush is hovering somewhere around a 30% approval rating - 70% (which is over 200 million people!) don't support him and what he's done.

By refering to the "sepparation of Church and State" you've actually quoted an American - Thomas Jefferson ;)

trane
07-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm not saying you at all. I quoted colman1860. I hear you on the points you're making.

I did not think that you were pointing at me, I just want to make it clear, that my comments are purely on the football level, and even then I feel uneasy about over generalizng. Even my concerns about Edu are somewhat new, and I still think he could be a great Defensive Mid for TFC if he put his mind to it.

TFC07
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Maybe the dumbest post I've ever read.

The Bush Administration has done some terrible things. That's a reason to hate Bush & his administration, not the entire country. Bush is hovering somewhere around a 30% approval rating - 70% (which is over 200 million people!) don't support him and what he's done.

By refering to the "sepparation of Church and State" you've actually quoted an American - Thomas Jefferson ;)

Last time I remember, it was Americans who voted Bush to be their president twice! So yes, in a way I could see why people hate entire USA in general.

Boris
07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
GUYS...leave politics out of it please!

Jack
07-28-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't care where a player comes from.

If he's on our team, he gets my support until he does something to lose that (ie. Cuntingham).

Guys, the nationality of the player is a silly debate. If they help us win games, who cares where they were born?

And if you want to get into a political debate about the merits or lack therof of the USA, well, take it to off-topic. ;)

Dirk Diggler
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Guys, the nationality of the player is a silly debate. If they help us win games, who cares where they were born?

QFT. Nothing else needs to be said, really.

CretanBull
07-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Last time I remember, it was Americans who voted Bush to be their president twice! So yes, in a way I could see why people hate entire USA in general.

The first time the Supreme Court named him President. The second time was in the middle of a war and their population was sacred. In the first election Bush got 47% of the popular vote, in the second he got 51% - hardly a valid reason to hate the entire USA. German's voted Hitler into power, that woud be a stupid reason to hate Germans.

CretanBull
07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't care where a player comes from.

If he's on our team, he gets my support until he does something to lose that (ie. Cuntingham).

QFT!!

TFC07
07-28-2008, 06:21 PM
The first time the Supreme Court named him President. The second time was in the middle of a war and their population was sacred. In the first election Bush got 47% of the popular vote, in the second he got 51% - hardly a valid reason to hate the entire USA. German's voted Hitler into power, that woud be a stupid reason to hate Germans.

So that makes it right? Yes, you're right it is wrong to hate all Americans, but however, he still was elected for his 2nd term. To non-americans, that showed that americans still supported him and his actions.

Also keep in mind anti-Americanism isn't solely based on USA government alone. It is also based on average Americans who are usually viewed as ignorant, intolerant and racist. (Though that stereotype isn’t too far IMO based on my experience of coming across with Americans in the past)

Jack
07-28-2008, 06:23 PM
...and due to not being able to control the urge to post repeatedly off-topic, the thread was savagely murdered by the users. Police are currently investigating, but all leads point to a violent case of teh internetzzz...