PDA

View Full Version : Other MLS Games - August 19-21

OgtheDim
08-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Friday

Houston @ San Jose 11:00pm - Kinnear Derby -
Why you should watch this match - Learning Spanish watching soccer might be fun I suppose
Prediction: 1-1

Saturday

LAG @ NYCFC 3:00 pm - The team on the widest pitch goes to the team on the thinnest pitch
Why you should watch this match - NYCFC firing on all cylinders offensively - defence not so much
Prediction: 3-1

Chicago @ Montreal 7:30pm - Fire Away Game Win Watch Continues
Why you should watch this match later - Montreal next week and the Fire after the International Break
Prediction: 1-4

Columbus @ NER 7:30pm - Kamara Derby
Why you should watch this match later - NER close to imploding - CBus could tip them into the pit of despair
Prediction: 2-2

Orlando @ Colorado 9:00pm - Sea World goes to the Mountains
Why you should watch this match later - We play Orlando on Wednesday
Prediction: 1-3

Vancouver @ SKC 10:00pm - A team who knows how to win hosts a team who doesn't know how to grind out points
Why you should watch this match - coaching duel - gruff pragmatist bastard vs. tough as nails nice guy
Prediction: 1-2

FCD @ RSL 10:00pm - Clash of the Western Titans
Why you should watch this match - if you never watch MLS apart from Toronto, watch this one - defence, midfield, attack - all good on both teams
Prediction: 2-3

Sunday

NYRB @ DCU 3:00pm - These two fan bases don't really like each other
Why you should watch this match - DCU's new improved offence vs NYRB's press
Prediction: 1-2

Portland @ Seattle 9:30pm - Latte and Beards derby
Why you should watch this match - Seattle resurgence meets Portland resolve
Prediction: 1-3

OgtheDim
08-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Houston won handily...another step towards the end of Kinnear's 2.0 career.

Ivy
08-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Fire haven't won on the road since 2014. Ill bet that they win today in Montreal.

notthesun
08-20-2016, 04:29 PM
No help from LA, NYCFC will be 1st in the East even if we beat Philly. I still think they get exposed sooner or later this season.

OgtheDim
08-20-2016, 05:03 PM
They have a very good spine from DM out...its behind the DM they have issues. Eastern teams are getting used to playing with those sightlines and dimensions. They will make the playoffs. But defence gets you far in MLS Cup.

Detroit_TFC
08-20-2016, 05:03 PM
While watching NYC v LA, I started to wonder if maybe CFG and the Yankees should just give up on the stadium search and just make changes to YS to accommodate a full size pitch. Even if it costs $200 million to rebuild the lower sections, that's half of what a new place might cost and might actually get done in the next 10 years.

OgtheDim
08-20-2016, 07:15 PM
It won't last

Chicago winning at Montreal

It won't last

Detroit_TFC
08-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Chicago now 2 up on MTL. This would be their first road win this season.

notthesun
08-20-2016, 08:32 PM
3-0 for Chicago now LOL

#BielloOut

mistercorporate
08-20-2016, 08:35 PM
3-0 for Chicago now LOL

#BielloOut

Loll

OgtheDim
08-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Good thing Montreal has a game on Wednesday. Rather not face them that pissed off.

notthesun
08-20-2016, 11:00 PM
Vancouver is in free fall. About to lose their 4th in a row, winless in 6.

They've completely bungled their signings and team-building this year IMO.

mistercorporate
08-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Vancouver is in free fall. About to lose their 4th in a row, winless in 6.

They've completely bungled their signings and team-building this year IMO.

That's the scary thing about MLS, you can't rest on your laurels and if you're going to make changes make sure you have contingencies and it's gradual, stability is key. Any team forced to make drastic changes to their lineup or style of play drops off until they gel, I hope we learned our lesson after all these years!

Yohan
08-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Too bad that Carl Robinson is going to get the sack soon, but in the end, it's a results oriented business

Ivy
08-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Colorado tied and Dallas lost tonight. TFC now 1 point out from east, and 5 points from the shield.

OgtheDim
08-21-2016, 08:34 AM
Too bad that Carl Robinson is going to get the sack soon, but in the end, it's a results oriented business

I think he'll be kept. The biggest issue for them is they haven't defined what sort of team they want to be. In essence, they havn't matured enough to make that decision as a team. They brought in a lot of skills but nobody has decided "this is how we play our game". Which is why they hung Laba out to dry this season by going to a 4-2-3-1 when they should have gone with a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-1-3-2. Guy is a destroyer - let him sit alone and hunt and do so. Pairing him with somebody was pointless but they did so in order to use the athletes they had.

That defining how a team plays is a big part of MLS 3.0.

Chicago, Vancouver, Houston, and until now Orlando have all avoided defining how they play. Everybody else has an approach to how they want to build their team towards long term success. Admittedly, Colorado kind of fell into it and I'm not sure their coach really knows what he is doing but there is at least a coherent approach. And DCU's approach is so creaky old and penny pinching eventually it will fall to dust.

Vancouver seemed to be going with "sign the best athletes, work hard and success will happen". That is very MLS circa 2009 thinking. Its very much how Carl Robinson approached playing the game actually.

I think he can adjust but they need to reassess their talent and make a decision about how they want to do things.

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2016, 11:13 AM
No help from LA, NYCFC will be 1st in the East even if we beat Philly. I still think they get exposed sooner or later this season.

So many missed chances on both sides, too. Funny the one goal that stood was immediately called out by the commentary booth.

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Good thing Montreal has a game on Wednesday. Rather not face them that pissed off.

Agreed. Watched for Lefevre again. His return to the lineup didn't help them so much. Really the only lowlight I saw was him on the second goal failing to intercept the assist.

Hope we see him on the weekend. g:D

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2016, 12:01 PM

This looks really bad right now. I'm thinking from the Voyageurs over there seeing these results after 2 Canada additions, Aird directly responsible for that goal and WCQ there in just 2 weeks.

But then what the Jacob Peterson!? He earned them both goals.

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Orlando were lucky not to be a man down after a no-call. I would think they will play similarly defensive against us midweek.

Look out, Bendik!

PopePouri
08-21-2016, 12:14 PM
I think he'll be kept. The biggest issue for them is they haven't defined what sort of team they want to be. In essence, they havn't matured enough to make that decision as a team. They brought in a lot of skills but nobody has decided "this is how we play our game". Which is why they hung Laba out to dry this season by going to a 4-2-3-1 when they should have gone with a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-1-3-2. Guy is a destroyer - let him sit alone and hunt and do so. Pairing him with somebody was pointless but they did so in order to use the athletes they had.

4-1-3-2 is a bit risky for Vancouver because if you concede the flanks, your fullbacks can't be garbage.

Robinson tinkered with a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 in preseason with a lot of success in preseason and then stopped playing it.

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Kamara vs Kamara again. Kei can't get one over his old team this time. boo hoo.

OgtheDim
08-21-2016, 12:55 PM
NER thought it struck gold 2 seasons ago with a young dynamic midfield. Then they allowed their defence and forwards to atrophy.

That having been said, CBus and NER both play the same way - swing the ball around the outside and wait for an opportunity. Against an organzed defence, both teams are toast.

Detroit_TFC
08-21-2016, 01:23 PM

Doesn't take long for fortunes to change. Robbo and Biello were getting lauded as guys who get the most out of their squads just a short while ago.

Auzzy
08-21-2016, 06:59 PM
Fire haven't won on the road since 2014. Ill bet that they win today in Montreal.

I hope you wagered good money on that bet, congrats! :D

OgtheDim
08-21-2016, 07:14 PM
DCU comes back from 2-0 down to tie NYRB after a weather delay, on a waterlogged pitch.

Keeps NYRB 3 back of us having played 1 more game.

anto7
08-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Other than NYCFC winning it was a great weekend for us results wise with most of our rivals either losing or tying. Even the NYCFC win had a silver lining since LA Galaxy are one of the potential rivals for the supporters shield. And we still have a game in hand on both New York teams.

Yohan
08-21-2016, 08:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hP9Xd5h3EY

stevep
08-21-2016, 08:44 PM
nyrb tie with dc united makes it look like a two team race for first and second place, tfc vs nyfc

Yohan
08-21-2016, 09:12 PM
http://gofirstrow.eu/watch/459049/1/watch-seattle-sounders-fc-vs--portland-timbers.html

Seattle Portland derby. entertaining so far

Yohan
08-22-2016, 05:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1fiw2GeSU