PDA

View Full Version : Da All Star Game - Tonight - 7:50pm

OgtheDim
07-28-2016, 06:52 PM
What the heck...I got nothing better to do but watch the best in MLS go up against Arsenal's B team.

ensco
07-28-2016, 07:09 PM
They should play the Chinese Super League all stars. That'd be more interesting.

ensco
07-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Oh dear

OgtheDim
07-28-2016, 07:59 PM
The Oh dear a half hour later was more fun.

ensco
07-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Seba subs in and they don't even figure it out until he almost scores in first 90 seconds

Watching Farrell out there ... that is one of those things that just never stops being aggravating

mistercorporate
07-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Seba's skills go up a notch when he's surrounded by quality players...great ball skills.

OgtheDim
07-28-2016, 08:45 PM
If people want to see Seba and Dempsey play together, its happening right now.

And now its done....Larin on.

notthesun
07-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Seba played 30 minutes, looked good doing it, and is now off. Sounds good to me.

PopePouri
07-28-2016, 08:51 PM
LOL @ Arsenal fans saying Seba did more in 10 minutes than Walcott in 8 years.

Richard
07-28-2016, 08:55 PM

Probably quite accurate.

notthesun
07-28-2016, 08:58 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/758841587543572480

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/758842338571538432

Pint
07-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Well the goon erst can be happy he came here instead of cross town.

Auzzy
07-28-2016, 10:00 PM
I only watched a bit of the 2nd half. There's just a single replay of the Ciman penalty on the website, from a bad angle. Did everyone else think it was a penalty?

mistercorporate
07-28-2016, 10:40 PM

I'd love to see a link to that, hilarious!

portu
07-28-2016, 10:41 PM
I only watched a bit of the 2nd half. There's just a single replay of the Ciman penalty on the website, from a bad angle. Did everyone else think it was a penalty?
Definetly a pen

Joe Kool
07-29-2016, 01:11 AM

Definitely a penalty. I was just telling my son at the time that I can't believe Ciman is there on the team to begin with and to watch him because he is going to do something dangerous or stupid...then he did that. Better than him trying to hurt players like he does to Giovinco when we play him but still.

OgtheDim
07-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Ciman is not Collin

C.Ronaldo
07-29-2016, 09:05 AM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/758841587543572480

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/758842338571538432

Wish TFC / MLS would spend some time dissecting the physics behind what Seba does, the way he takes that ball down is unreal and pretty hard to comprehend.
His low centre of gravity, pace, and timing is science lesson waiting to happen

Detroit_TFC
07-29-2016, 09:28 AM
^ did you see the ESPN Sports Science segment they did on one of SG's FK goals? The link is around here somewhere.

edit: here's a link, not sure if it is geolocked or not

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14877032

TFC Tifoso
07-29-2016, 09:40 AM
watched the whole game and I've gotta say I was entertained.

And I don't know why so many people are down on the format.
For the MLS guys, it gives them a chance to play against a big team from Europe.....I get that its not their top team but they had some of their big guys out in the 1st half at least.
For the opponent, they get a pre-season match against some good competition (MLS' top players).

Over the past few days, I heard some talking about changing to an MLS only East/West format.....for me that would make the game unwatchable and would put this game right along with the rest of the NA leagues' All-Star games.....a half-speed bore.
This game it felt like the players were at least trying.

C.Ronaldo
07-29-2016, 09:42 AM
THANKS Detroit

nerds unite!

Detroit_TFC
07-29-2016, 11:01 AM
THANKS Detroit

nerds unite!

Watching all those clips of SG FK goals was dreamy. The only reason I was watching the ASG was I hoped to see one from SG just for shits and giggles. I was also glad he did his stint and got out quick.

mistercorporate
07-29-2016, 12:21 PM
watched the whole game and I've gotta say I was entertained.

And I don't know why so many people are down on the format.
For the MLS guys, it gives them a chance to play against a big team from Europe.....I get that its not their top team but they had some of their big guys out in the 1st half at least.
For the opponent, they get a pre-season match against some good competition (MLS' top players).

Over the past few days, I heard some talking about changing to an MLS only East/West format.....for me that would make the game unwatchable and would put this game right along with the rest of the NA leagues' All-Star games.....a half-speed bore.
This game it felt like the players were at least trying.

Agreed.

Kaz
07-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Honestly I'd love to see a week break and a east vs west game. I think at this point we should be able to find 36-40 MLS players that can do that. That to me is a proper All Star Game. Have it cycle through each city in MLS expansion side get them in their first years (with more than one in a year draw lots for which team is expansion year and which is second year). It gives new clubs a chance to see all the stars in a single game, it builds an MLS experience. Once every 28 years per cub

Add in skills competition. Penalty saves, free kicks, cross accuracy... what have you.. make it an event and schedule it so players can participate.

it is hard to watch a game where one side makes 14 substitutions and the other makes 10. Make it a friendly game but keep it in MLS. We need to be able to grow beyond trying to attract fans with Euro Clubs and start selling people on MLS. Keep the game light but limit each team to 18-20. Play 22.5 minute quarters with the 5 minute break in the middle of each half. Allow resubbing players to keep everyone fresh. Make the game light but keep it interesting.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2016, 04:05 PM
I don't need an All Star game.

But to think about it the best players in the world don't play here so yeah I see the relevance of having a host team. Every other sport here in NA is the top league and can get away with the play level.

OgtheDim
07-29-2016, 04:31 PM
I would love to see an MLS All-Stars vs. a Liga Mx All Stars and I would suspect that would make a boatload of cash and be competitive.

Cashcleaner
07-29-2016, 05:03 PM
^ You might be on to something there. Though I have to wonder why it hasn't been done yet.

OgtheDim
07-29-2016, 05:50 PM
^ Injury potential as the game would be hard hard hard and Liga Mx doesn't want to admit that MLS is a league worth comparing to.

Initial B
07-29-2016, 07:00 PM
I'd like to see a skills competition. The free-kick component could be like the NBA's dunk contest.

Yohan
07-29-2016, 07:07 PM
^ Injury potential as the game would be hard hard hard and Liga Mx doesn't want to admit that MLS is a league worth comparing to.
IIRC, Liga MX wants to do something akin to old SuperLiga again where Liga MX teams get pitted against MLS teams in a min tourney.
It's all about money, and Liga MX teams get more money when they play in US.

Yohan
07-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Honestly I'd love to see a week break and a east vs west game. I think at this point we should be able to find 36-40 MLS players that can do that. That to me is a proper All Star Game. Have it cycle through each city in MLS expansion side get them in their first years (with more than one in a year draw lots for which team is expansion year and which is second year). It gives new clubs a chance to see all the stars in a single game, it builds an MLS experience. Once every 28 years per cub

Add in skills competition. Penalty saves, free kicks, cross accuracy... what have you.. make it an event and schedule it so players can participate.

it is hard to watch a game where one side makes 14 substitutions and the other makes 10. Make it a friendly game but keep it in MLS. We need to be able to grow beyond trying to attract fans with Euro Clubs and start selling people on MLS. Keep the game light but limit each team to 18-20. Play 22.5 minute quarters with the 5 minute break in the middle of each half. Allow resubbing players to keep everyone fresh. Make the game light but keep it interesting.

I think you're missing the point of the All Star game nowadays. It used to be MLS Cup, but now that All Star game is the one that's got a fixed date and a place to set everything up, the All Star game is where MLS FO gets to do their thing.It's not suppose to be anything meaningful, except some players get bonus for being named All Star and MLS FO gets to wine and dine and put on a dog and pony show for all the sponsors and anyone else MLS wants to butter up to.

Kaz
07-29-2016, 08:31 PM
I think you're missing the point of the All Star game nowadays. It used to be MLS Cup, but now that All Star game is the one that's got a fixed date and a place to set everything up, the All Star game is where MLS FO gets to do their thing.It's not suppose to be anything meaningful, except some players get bonus for being named All Star and MLS FO gets to wine and dine and put on a dog and pony show for all the sponsors and anyone else MLS wants to butter up to.

Shhhhush you let me have my delusion that anything in MLS is actually about the fans and not the money in their accounts :P A boy can dream :)