PDA

View Full Version : Standing Sections and Issues With New Ticket Holders

Chevy
07-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Something that I have noticed quite frequently over the years, typically during mid-summer matches, is the issue with some ticket holders being frustrated with the standing sections. I imagine they are given or sold tickets from SSH who are away on vacation, and show up (with kids in many cases) only to find a wall of humanity standing in front of them.

One the one hand I feel for the person who purchased the seat as their experience may not be what they expected. On the other, it's a real pain in the a$$ for for the regular SSH to explain the standing policy/expectation/tradition and generates a negative vibe to everyone involved. Sometimes the BMO staff may move the person complaining however in one case i had to explain the standing section policy to a BMO usher (probably covering for a regular's vacation). Probably happens with the flag-waving as well I would imagine.

Personally, when I give my tickets away in 118 I always 'warn' whomever is taking them that it's a standing section.

Anyway, any thoughts from the group? I may recommend to the club that they state the policy very boldly on all standing section tickets in order to reduce the problem.

Pint
07-25-2016, 02:11 PM
I basically do the same thing whenever i bring someone and i tell the rest of the people in the group to make sure whoever gets their tickets knows what they are in for.

The stubhub/kijiji market is always going to cause issues with this as its a completely different environment than anywhere else. Within SG's security/ushers kinda know who to talk to if their is an issue but for the most part they deal with it themselves as security and ushers have been pretty consistent this year and know the rules.

To me if you own season seats in the south you have a responsibility to the rest of the supporters to make sure you resell in a responsible manner.

eustacchio
07-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Sit down! You're ruining it for everybody!

https://i.imgur.com/3iHZVJd.jpg

joking aside, they could add it to the tickets where it lists the gate and SUPPORTERS SECTION.

There is some room to define what that means - or say STANDING SECTION instead of supporters.

Of course, at that point it's too late 'cause you've already bought the tickets for you and your kids.

Mateo1985
07-25-2016, 02:26 PM
In my opinion people who are buying tickets for the south end sections just gotta suck it up or walk elsewhere. It's highly unfair for the supporters to have to "accommodate" the "family section" folks.

For instance during the DC game I brought my brother with me who isn't into chanting and jumping for 90 minutes so we just took seats on the upper east deck. Problem solved.

eustacchio
07-25-2016, 02:31 PM
In my opinion people who are buying tickets for the south end sections just gotta suck it up or walk elsewhere. It's highly unfair for the supporters to have to "accommodate" the "family section" folks.

For instance during the DC game I brought my brother with me who isn't into chanting and jumping for 90 minutes so we just took seats on the upper east deck. Problem solved.

Do people who show up and see an entire side of a stadium expect to be accommodated? Sure, people can be frustrated but really only with the seller and themselves.

Red4ever
07-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Enh. People get over it. You can still see the game if you stand, you just have to stand.

The flag thing is a bigger deal.

Pint
07-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Even the flag thing isn't that bad this year.

I heard lots of complaints last year, this year i haven't really heard any unless i'm just not hearing them.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-25-2016, 02:56 PM
happens every other year for me, i havent left our area (117, row 4) in the 10 years we have tickets and i immediately know they are just visiting.
Usually let them know initially calmly the situation, then move on. They usually wanna get security and i let them. Happened this past weekend, gonna talk to the guys behind me to remind the people taking their tickets of their situation. I had to tell the dude to let it alone cuz he had his kids with em and id have gladly given him an earful otherwise

jimiv
07-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Remove the seats, put in safe standing rails - problem solved.

Chevy
07-25-2016, 03:00 PM
happens every other year for me, i havent left our area (117, row 4) in the 10 years we have tickets and i immediately know they are just visiting.
Usually let them know initially calmly the situation, then move on. They usually wanna get security and i let them. Happened this past weekend, gonna talk to the guys behind me to remind the people taking their tickets of their situation. I had to tell the dude to let it alone cuz he had his kids with em and id have gladly given him an earful otherwise

I'm in 118 so I think it was your 'incident' that caused me to write this post.

Red4ever
07-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Even the flag thing isn't that bad this year.

I heard lots of complaints last year, this year i haven't really heard any unless i'm just not hearing them.

This is actually correct. Far fewer issues.

I just hate how TFC punts this stuff to the fans on game day rather than solving problems themselves.

Red CB Toronto
07-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Over 119, a standing supporters section it's never an issue , some people sit, some stand plus with the aisle to nowhere on the side of it a lot of people who stand just go there.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-25-2016, 04:43 PM
I'm in 118 so I think it was your 'incident' that caused me to write this post.

most likely, im the halfwit in the bucket hat and the fanny pack

Ossington Mental Youth
07-25-2016, 04:51 PM
My old man, whos 66, was going to get into it too. Gotta say im pretty sick of that shit, youre a guest, im here forever.
One of my fonder sayings for that lot is "I dont come to your church and tell you how to pray"

kodiakTFC
07-25-2016, 07:16 PM
Just to add. The "you're in my seat people." I understand you have a seat but that's just not how 112/113 works. My seats are actually where the drum in 113 sits. Tell them to move if you want me to move from your seat. My point = make this general admission already.

Chevy
07-26-2016, 06:26 AM
most likely, im the halfwit in the bucket hat and the fanny pack

You are correct, sir. :)

Abou Sky
07-26-2016, 07:25 AM
To me if you own season seats in the south you have a responsibility to the rest of the supporters to make sure you resell in a responsible manner.

THIS!

My 'seats' are 114 row 3, imagine some poor guy from three hours north of the city wants to come down with his wife and daughter for a game and end up with those tickets.

I give to friends with warning, if no takers, they go on the ticket trader here.

We pay a sharply discounted price, ~$11/game and we are the only ones who can even get these seats.

There is a responsibility that comes with that.

Pint
07-26-2016, 07:38 AM
My old man, whos 66, was going to get into it too. Gotta say im pretty sick of that shit, youre a guest, im here forever.
One of my fonder sayings for that lot is "I dont come to your church and tell you how to pray"

If I were you I would look on stubhub/kijiji and see if the person is selling them via those outlets. If he is I would complain directly to the club as this persons scalping of tickets is causing you problems on an ongoing basis. That's unless you actually know the guy well

Ben - D.O.W.
07-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Out of curiosity I looked on stubhub since I've never actually bought tickets that way - it actually lists seats in those sections as "Supporters 11x - Possible Obstructed View" - so at least at that point it's on the buyer.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-26-2016, 09:38 AM
If I were you I would look on stubhub/kijiji and see if the person is selling them via those outlets. If he is I would complain directly to the club as this persons scalping of tickets is causing you problems on an ongoing basis. That's unless you actually know the guy well

Thanks for the tip, definitely something id do if we didnt know the guys. Its been teh same guys for a number of years sharing em, theyre pretty good about things and this is the first incident in which one of their friends (im assuming) didnt know the deal. One of the ticket holders has been there since the start with me, just has a fucked up back from work so he shares em with his buddies who are cool. Think the biggest issue this time around is the guy's missus couldnt see and as a result felt the need to bitch, he was just backing her up even though he knew we were right. Hell we even let his kids stand in our row even tho they didnt have tickets and we didnt give a shit.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-26-2016, 09:39 AM
You are correct, sir. :)

I tip my hat to you good sir.

C.Ronaldo
07-26-2016, 10:07 AM

ppl think they will be arrested if they move seats

Mateo1985
07-26-2016, 10:32 AM
ppl think they will be arrested if they move seats

hahah so true.

Pint
07-26-2016, 10:42 AM
I've never actually been in my seat

jabbronies
07-26-2016, 10:59 AM
Do people who show up and see an entire side of a stadium expect to be accommodated? Sure, people can be frustrated but really only with the seller and themselves.

yes they do. We get it all the time in Section 110

zorsofstesab
07-26-2016, 12:24 PM
Over 119, a standing supporters section it's never an issue , some people sit, some stand plus with the aisle to nowhere on the side of it a lot of people who stand just go there.

Getting older I was finding it harder to stand the entire game in the upper half of section 110. When I talked to my rep during relocation he mentioned that section 119 was no longer a supporter section and he could move me there. I was surprised to see the sign that said 119 was still a supporter section and standing. Was anyone else told that 119 was no longer a supporter section? So far not a big issue as you stated some stand, some sit. I just make do.....

Red CB Toronto
07-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Getting older I was finding it harder to stand the entire game in the upper half of section 110. When I talked to my rep during relocation he mentioned that section 119 was no longer a supporter section and he could move me there. I was surprised to see the sign that said 119 was still a supporter section and standing. Was anyone else told that 119 was no longer a supporter section? So far not a big issue as you stated some stand, some sit. I just make do.....

As far as I know 119 was never stripped of its supoorter section designation. Now on the other hand it never really has functioned as a supporter section in the truest sense. There is no group in there, it's light grey so it costs more and it's a kind of in between section.

The only section in the history of the team to have its supporters section status removed thus become a seating section was 127 after Kings moved to the south end.

Derko
07-26-2016, 12:37 PM
yes they do. We get it all the time in Section 110

But then we just ignore them and they fuckoff elsewhere at half time :scarf:

jabbronies
07-26-2016, 02:56 PM
But then we just ignore them and they fuckoff elsewhere at half time :scarf:

hahahaha yup

C.Ronaldo
07-26-2016, 03:12 PM

ive been contemplating bringing an anti-fatigue mat from costco :)

A Stick
07-26-2016, 04:15 PM
119 is pretty casual. You can stand or sit and I have not seen anyone getting pissed off for standing and security is pretty relaxed. This is my first season in this section and I like vibe and sight lines.

PureTFC
08-02-2016, 01:50 PM
119 is pretty casual. You can stand or sit and I have not seen anyone getting pissed off for standing and security is pretty relaxed. This is my first season in this section and I like vibe and sight lines.

Complaints for standing in 119 are far and few between but they do happen. As usual it's a face never seen before and they are politely educated on the subject and then ignored. It is a pretty casual section since it's had a lot of turn over since TFC's very lean and grim middle years. Nothing like years 1 thru 4 but not as dead as 5 thru 8.

Pint
08-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Was 1 issue in 116 last week as well. Happens all over the standing section mainly when people sell tickets to those who are unaware of what they really getting into.

bones
08-02-2016, 02:58 PM
I sold my season tickets to a guy at work with the threat that if they re-sold to sitters or complainers then I'd just refund whatever portion and print new tickets and post on this board. So far, no complaints and he is loving the vibe.

eustacchio
08-02-2016, 03:06 PM
This is really a TFC customer service issue. People who are complaining can go talk to customer services and they'll be told, "You've bought your seats, now you have to stand in them."

Red CB Toronto
08-02-2016, 03:19 PM
This is really a TFC customer service issue. People who are complaining can go talk to customer services and they'll be told, "You've bought your seats, now you have to stand in them."

I think you have to be understanding, it sucks but if a someone buys from a scalper, off Stubhub and shows up its nice to explain to them in polite way the reality of these section. If it really does become an issue more often than not TFC will just move them. No different than if someone decked out in Impact gear showed up in the southend having bought tickets from a 3rd party and did not know exactly was up. Common sense says they will move them.

eustacchio
08-02-2016, 03:39 PM
I think you have to be understanding, it sucks but if a someone buys from a scalper, off Stubhub and shows up its nice to explain to them in polite way the reality of these section. If it really does become an issue more often than not TFC will just move them. No different than if someone decked out in Impact gear showed up in the southend having bought tickets from a 3rd party and did not know exactly was up. Common sense says they will move them.

For sure you have to be understanding - and as people have mentioned they explain the situation and sometimes the ticket holders themselves are not understanding. This thread isn't about the people who understand.

And as you said, if it becomes a real issue TFC (AKA customer services) will take care of it; therefore, it's a customer service issue.

Red CB Toronto
08-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Complaints for standing in 119 are far and few between but they do happen. As usual it's a face never seen before and they are politely educated on the subject and then ignored. It is a pretty casual section since it's had a lot of turn over since TFC's very lean and grim middle years. Nothing like years 1 thru 4 but not as dead as 5 thru 8.

In 119 a lot people who want to stand move over to the aisle to no where on the south end of the section and thus even sitting in the section still gives you a decent view of the game. I have never seen a massive flag waved around there, it reality its a very different from any of the other supporter sections in the stadium. Its a good balance.

Justin10000
08-02-2016, 04:33 PM
My seat used to be in 119. Great crowd in that section. Pretty quiet(Hence why I moved), but friendly all around and no issues with standing/sitting.

anto7
08-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Didn't have any issues per say at Sunday's game but sure did see some strange behaviour. My girlfriend and I stood in our usual spot in the south end directly in the middle of the goal about 10 rows from the top. It seemed like there was more empty seats around us than usual. A group of about 5 people showed up to their seats immediately to our right around minute 30. Perhaps they were delayed however they sure didn't look like they were in a hurry to get there. At the start of the 2nd half another group of about 5 immediately to our left, returned to their seats and sat down, view totally obscured, and spent the entire 2nd half that way, texting on their phones, shooting the shit together.
Each to their own, they paid for their tickets so can do what they like, but man what a fucking waste of time, why even bother coming to the game.

Voodooman
08-03-2016, 07:25 AM
^ Sounds like 50% of Jays fans at the games right now. Irritates the hell out of me, but whatever, it is their choice.

It's butts in the seats I guess aha

Abou Sky
08-03-2016, 09:39 AM
^ Sounds like 50% of Jays fans at the games right now. Irritates the hell out of me, but whatever, it is their choice.

It's butts in the seats I guess aha

lulz

A woman was playing Candy Crush in front of me on Friday when Bautista hit the home run first up and she dropped her phone when everyone went nuts.

It didn't break, but I would have laughed if it did.

Same thing though, I actually like ball games because you don't have to pay attention the entire time. My wife and I plan our summer at Jays games.

Parkdale
08-03-2016, 10:18 AM
I have 3 seats in 112, and if I can't make the game - I sell them on the board to other supporters. Easy. No complaints there, because everyone knows what they are getting.

It's a unique situation because I feel there's a responsibility on the seller to make the buyer aware that the seats are in the "stand and support" section, but there's also some responsibility on the buyer to give a shit. I would be incredibly upset if I sold one of my prime lower 112 seats to someone who sat on their ass and played on their phone the entire time. That's a active supporter's seat wasted. Luckily it hasnt come up yet.

T-boy
08-03-2016, 11:29 AM
The problem is that nobody (outside of the regular fans and SSH's) know what "Supporters Section" means. If they just called it "Standing Section" then it would be blatantly obvious. No casual fan is ever going to take the time to look through the TFC website and see what Supporters Section is defined as.

I'm personally not in favour of a general admission area, as you would always get people arguing that "this is MYYYYYY seat/area and has been since day one". This would only work if you literally ripped out the seats. If the seats themselves are staying (and I can't ever see them being removed) then you will always have a problem if you changed it to GA. Somebody will always take issue with it if there are seat and row numbers on show.

strictlye
08-03-2016, 02:19 PM
The first few TFC games I ever went to was in the south end and I hated it!!!!!!!!

After a long day at work I went to take in a game. (friend gave me his tix) Found my seats and sat down, just to be yelled at by fans telling me to stand up and support my team. The section was full of drunks yelling profanity and some a little racist. After about the 75th min, I couldn't stand anymore, my knees were giving out and I had to leave.

Fast forward a few years later, I'm a season ticket holder in section 126. I specifically requested a section away from the supporters........and it gets so quite sometimes I can fall asleep.

I know understand the soccer culture, I drink $5 beers, yell at the opposing players and now get dirty looks from the people sitting around me. I sometimes walk to the back of the supporters section since its more hype over there. I love travelling to montreal to take in a TFC game and march with the supporters. I love the noise now, but when you are not expecting it, it can be a bit overwhelming.

CBTFC
08-03-2016, 04:28 PM
^^^Im in the same perspective as you. I truly enjoy the supporters section for what it is and what it adds to the atmosphere of the games, but I choose not to be in that section because I don't want to do that for the entire game.

Im there to watch and enjoy the game, but that's just me. To each their own :)

kodiakTFC
08-03-2016, 11:56 PM
The first few TFC games I ever went to was in the south end and I hated it!!!!!!!!

After a long day at work I went to take in a game. (friend gave me his tix) Found my seats and sat down, just to be yelled at by fans telling me to stand up and support my team. The section was full of drunks yelling profanity and some a little racist. After about the 75th min, I couldn't stand anymore, my knees were giving out and I had to leave.

Fast forward a few years later, I'm a season ticket holder in section 126. I specifically requested a section away from the supporters........and it gets so quite sometimes I can fall asleep.

I know understand the soccer culture, I drink $5 beers, yell at the opposing players and now get dirty looks from the people sitting around me. I sometimes walk to the back of the supporters section since its more hype over there. I love travelling to montreal to take in a TFC game and march with the supporters. I love the noise now, but when you are not expecting it, it can be a bit overwhelming.

One of us! One of us!

Ossington Mental Youth
08-04-2016, 05:34 AM
Happened again last night. Twice in one season, twice in three weeks. Gonna write my ticket rep.
Starting to firmly believe in a terrace, would really miss my seats tho.

OgtheDim
08-04-2016, 06:15 AM
There was a heck of a lot of tourists last night in my section so I can imagine there was a ton everywhere.

reggie
08-04-2016, 06:27 AM
had a ton of tourist in my sec last night...sec 223 who are these people they have no clue what futbol is.
on a side note.what happend to the tifos?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Heard back from my ticket rep, didnt know the signs were down, wont be able to get em up by next game but will be up after that.
Works for me. Also shout outs to the guy in the first row who was also letting other people know its a supporters section and people can and will stand.