PDA

View Full Version : Dickov turns down Leicester...

tfcleeds
07-28-2008, 08:11 AM
and looks headed on his way to TFC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leicester_city/7509399.stm

James17930
07-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Think he'll play tonight?

Bluenose13
07-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Beautiful.......Now lets get rid of Cunny & get Dickov signed.

Billy the kid
07-28-2008, 08:16 AM
That'd be great if he signs. I hope he's been keeping fit, we need him to play ASAP.

Carts
07-28-2008, 08:19 AM
McBride trade is done - lets get this ball moving ASAP...

Carts...

James17930
07-28-2008, 08:22 AM
So . . . you know how when Mo finalized the McBride deal, he said it was good since it was holding up other moves? Well, we'd have to assume this one of those moves, right?

And, if that's the case, with us struggling so much in the last month, why would Mo wait so long to finish off with McBride. If Dickov was available to play and just sitting around in Engand twiddling his thumbs, then it's criminal that Mo waited this long to get the job done.

Or -- maybe Dickov requested some time to go back and take care of personal business, and Mo knew he'd have a few weeks anyway, so he held out on McBride as long as he could to get the full amount of stuff in return as possible.

What do you guys think?

arsenal
07-28-2008, 08:26 AM
So . . . you know how when Mo finalized the McBride deal, he said it was good since it was holding up other moves? Well, we'd have to assume this one of those moves, right?

And, if that's the case, with us struggling so much in the last month, why would Mo wait so long to finish off with McBride. If Dickov was available to play and just sitting around in Engand twiddling his thumbs, then it's criminal that Mo waited this long to get the job done.

Or -- maybe Dickov requested some time to go back and take care of personal business, and Mo knew he'd have a few weeks anyway, so he held out on McBride as long as he could to get the full amount of stuff in return as possible.

What do you guys think?

Mo had to keep the $ clear for McBride ... even though he was not going to sign here.

James17930
07-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Mo had to keep the $ clear for McBride ... even though he was not going to sign here.

Right -- but then should he have waited as long as he did? It could have been cleared up weeks ago and it's possible Dickov could have been here by now.

Unless there's other stuff we don't know about.

invictusTFC
07-28-2008, 08:28 AM
You can rule him out of tonights game, thats a given. If he does sign with TFC, I like what it does to the intensity in the striker position. Dichio, Barrett, Dickov... all hard working vocal players. Hopefully that work ethic and intensity will rub off on the younger players like Smith and Ibrahim. Can you imagine Ibrahim's skill set with an attitude to match it?

arsenal
07-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Right -- but then should he have waited as long as he did? It could have been cleared up weeks ago and it's possible Dickov could have been here by now.

Well from the sounds of things we could have cleared it up a long time ago ... and taken less then we will receive in the current deal.

James17930
07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Well from the sounds of things we could have cleared it up a long time ago ... and taken less then we will receive in the current deal.

But then we might have had Dickov sooner. So from a long-term planning point of view it's good, but . . . who knows, we might have managed to pot one more goal against Montreal and be playing in the CL this year. :noidea:

All speculation, of course.

Wooster_TFC
07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
But then we might have had Dickov sooner. So from a long-term planning point of view it's good, but . . . who knows, we might have managed to pot one more goal against Montreal and be playing in the CL this year. :noidea:

All speculation, of course.

I'm betting that without the allocation for the McBride deal, he wouldn't have been able to sign Dickov and stay under the cap. I'm also betting that it was Chicago that was dragging it's feet, since it wanted to determine if McBride was going to the Olympics. Although, there was a possibility that Barrett was going too, so maybe Mo didn't want to trade for a player that was leaving right away.

Who knows? But I'm guessing Dickov needed some time, so Mo gave it to him. That allowed him to delay a little on the McBride trade to get as much as he possibly could.

Smenge
07-28-2008, 08:39 AM
It is a good move, I suppose, never having seen Dickov play, but I had hoped that MO would sign a younger dp....he still has that option, and I wonder why it is not being considered.

Chevy
07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
More related news....

http://www.leicester.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=117248

brad
07-28-2008, 09:09 AM
It is a good move, I suppose, never having seen Dickov play, but I had hoped that MO would sign a younger dp....he still has that option, and I wonder why it is not being considered.

Do we know that Dickov is a DP?

Smenge
07-28-2008, 09:25 AM
no idea....suppose MO will be holding a news conference asap..later today?

TFC_Junky
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Great news!!! Nice addition with Barrett.

Wooster_TFC
07-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Do we know that Dickov is a DP?

Reports earlier had Dickov getting max non-DP contract. So I guess we will have to wait and see.

Kevvv
07-28-2008, 09:35 AM
no idea....suppose MO will be holding a news conference asap..later today?

Mo & the team don't announce until MLS signs off; even Barrett hasn't been confirmed by TFC/CF, but that should happen today.

Considering Barrett was all but a done deal on Thursday, we could see MLS approval on both deals today. Two signings in one day would make this one of the better Mondays.

Beach_Red
07-28-2008, 10:05 AM

There's always stuff we don't know about.:D

The thing is, in year two of an MLS team, what we can do is make offers and wait. There's very little that TFC can do. Dikov is a perfect example, he was offered the most TFC could pay him and then he (well, his agent) went out and talked to a bunch of other teams to see if they would match it. And likely they wouldn't have had to beat the offer, just match it.

So, TFC has to be careful. The temptation would be to overpay - as expansion teams have historically - to get guys to sign right away. Then you've blown your budget and if those guys don't pan out you're stuck.

I think signing players is a lot like scoring goals - sometimes it happens by putting together great, complicated plays and sometimes it's the result of opportunism and poaching.

In most sports a team needs a lot more history to be able to put together the complicated plays.

Smenge
07-28-2008, 10:55 AM
....and sometimes, you just screw up:

Letting Buddle go, and signing Andy Welsh and Samuel, to name a few blunders.

Chevy
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Reports earlier had Dickov getting max non-DP contract. So I guess we will have to wait and see.

Regardless, our DP slot is open, so even if we need to pay him $100 or $200k over the max salary we can do so without an issue. Althought it would be nice, nobody said that the DP slot has to be used on a $1M++ player.

Velvet Elvis
07-28-2008, 11:19 AM
More Dickov rumours ... this time from Blackpool ...

" Blackpool manager Simon Grayson has hinted he could be ready to give up on his bid to sign veteran striker Paul Dickov.
The 35-year-old, who enjoyed a highly successful loan spell at Bloomfield Road last season, is a free agent following his release by Manchester City.
He has held discussions with the Seasiders, Leicester and Major League Soccer side Toronto FC over a permanent move.
However, Grayson told the Blackpool Gazette: "I left a message with Paul on Friday morning and that's basically where we are.
"Until I can get hold of him it's hard to find out exactly what's happening, but we've obviously got other targets in mind.
"I keep reiterating that we are short and we are working really hard to get people in.""

Starting to look very plausible.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/nationwide1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/08/07/28/manual_162828.html

Oldtimer
07-28-2008, 11:23 AM

If you had read this board last year, you wouldn't have said that.
The supporters were begging for Mo to get rid of Buddle, and questioning his judgment for keeping him so long. His name was synonymous with "lazy."

Buddle himself said he was underperforming at his prior clubs. It took being under a coach (Gullit) that he clicked with to make the difference.

Buddle only looks good in 20/20 hindsight. I'm still not convinced he's all that good. On a team without having Becks serve him he probably wouldn't have nearly so good a tally. That despite his involvement with TFC's first ever goal.

profit89
07-28-2008, 11:24 AM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/07/incoming-paul-dickov-to-toronto-fc.html

Chevy
07-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Speaking of the pie-man, last week he potted one for his new club!!

Saturday, 26 July 2008
Scottish Football League Challenge Cup
Ross County (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/ross_county/default.stm)2-1
(HT 0-0) St Johnstone (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_johnstone/default.stm)Winters 53
Higgins 65
Samuel 84

Bookings:
Lawson 35
Higgins 60
Hart 61

Bookings:
Craig 62
McCaffrey 79

Oldtimer
07-28-2008, 11:32 AM
It's starting to look likely! :)

James17930
07-28-2008, 11:40 AM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/07/incoming-paul-dickov-to-toronto-fc.html

I like this sight, even though others hate it because it's all rumours, but . . . what is up with their banner?

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1346/mlsrheadernb0.jpg

I mean . . . WTF?:noidea:

DVS
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I know she can definately do better than him

Chevy
07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
^^ I guess that they are supposed to be spies. However they are probably pretty shitty ones if they allowed somebody to take their picture.

invictusTFC
07-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Hindsight is great isn't it. I'm sure that you were the lone TFC fan who saw any potential in Buddle last season! He was shite, worse than Andy Welsh IMO.

I personally thought that we should have kept Samuel instead of Cunny. Although Samuel wasn't as prolific a goal-scorer as Cunningham he was always more of a team player, and gave more of an effort. I think that is the decision that is bitting Mo in the ass now.

tfcleeds
07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
^Yes, but having said that, would you really want Samuel with us either? Yes, he was definitely more of a team player, and he hustled, but he still couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...

ManUtd4ever
07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
This is welcome news indeed! Considering our lineup has faired reasonably well this season without the benefit of even ONE solid finisher in the fold, the second half of the season will look very promising with a new strike partnership of Dickov and Barrett up front...

boban
07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
This is welcome news indeed! Considering our lineup has faired reasonably well this season without the benefit of even ONE solid finisher in the fold, the second half of the season will look very promising with a new strike partnership of Dickov and Barrett up front...
What is? Rumours??

TicTacTabarnack
07-28-2008, 02:56 PM
What is? Rumours??

I want a press release already!!!

invictusTFC
07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
^Yes, but having said that, would you really want Samuel with us either? Yes, he was definitely more of a team player, and he hustled, but he still couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...

Sure, but at least Cunny was given the chance to prove himself with players like Guevara, Ricketts and Robert feeding him the ball. Samuel never had that kind of service...

TFC Cityboy
07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
FFS...looks like the reports yesterday tha tPaul was back in T.O. may have been false.
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/Dickov-undecided-despite-claims.4333668.jp

Stencils
07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
I can't take this any more. Just SIGN with one club or the other, Dickov! GAH!

invictusTFC
07-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah, stop being a Dick-ov and sign already!

TicTacTabarnack
07-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Yeah, stop being a Dick-ov and sign already!

Something is seriously wrong with this guy if he's dragging his feet so much!!! If he calls back ... Mo better drop his offer by a few grand for wasting our f***in' time!

CanuckPete
07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Since MLS can't seem to read contracts well enough to complete the McBride deal -- despite the fact that the NHL can process 30+ trades on trade deadline day in an afternoon -- maybe that is the hold-up here.

kuku
07-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Just saw this on soccer 365:

Blackpool manager Simon Grayson told the local Gazette that he has conceded defeat to Toronto FC in the race for former Manchester City forward Paul Dickov and that he expects the deal to be announced imminently.