PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 20 - We’re gonna teach ‘em how to say Goodbye- DCU @ TFC Sat July 23

OgtheDim
07-18-2016, 06:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fICMowNWGg

http://genius.com/Lin-manuel-miranda-one-last-time-lyrics

Have at It People

Derko
07-18-2016, 08:04 AM
Win the fucking game convincingly, make smart substitutions, play with some killer instinct and with a fire in your heart. How's that?

Fort York Redcoat
07-18-2016, 08:14 AM
They did not look convincing vs Columbus on Sat. With a change in mentality the team could eke a win out at home.

Richard
07-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Put Roberts in, it doesn't matter what the defenders say in public but we all know they are going to play differently if he is back in again, its better to put to give Bono a rest as this is a must win game where we need everyone focused.

notthesun
07-18-2016, 06:01 PM
Roberts should start, but I'm guessing it'll be Bono again. Management has some weird affinity for Bono (justifying his high selection in the draft?). Roberts has clearly outperformed him in USL games since they've both been with TFC II. I had a suspicion when Roberts was said to have "won" the backup job coming into the season that he was still viewed as being behind Bono. For a developing player, the starting role at the USL level is more valuable than being a backup with the MLS squad because you actually play; it would make sense for management to give the playing time to the player they thought was better. So I wasn't surprised at all when Irwin went down and suddenly Roberts has lost the backup role out of thin air. If I were Roberts and I can't get any playing time over this stretch of games without Irwin I'm probably searching for a new club this off-season.

OgtheDim
07-18-2016, 06:27 PM
IIRC, when Irwin went down injured, somebody in here pointed out that Q and Bono had about the same number of starts in USL.

I hope Bono doesn't start but if he does after that gaffe, what's it going to take to demote a guy?

QBall
07-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Time to put the past behind us and get our game faces on. We're playing a division rival who can overtake us in the standings with a win. We need to win this, not tie and definitely not lose. DC is looking more and more like the 2013 version, so this should be ours.

OgtheDim
07-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Note to a passing Mod

Can we start pinning the next game day thread again so its easier to find? This practice seems to have stopped a couple of games ago.

Initial B
07-19-2016, 11:53 AM
I hope Bono doesn't start but if he does after that gaffe, what's it going to take to demote a guy?
I think he will start just to make sure his confidence isn't completely gone. If they lose against DC, I expect Vanney will have no choice but to put Roberts in to save his job.

PopePouri
07-19-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm surprised you didn't go with REM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

C.Ronaldo
07-19-2016, 12:13 PM
I think he will start just to make sure his confidence isn't completely gone. If they lose against DC, I expect Vanney will have no choice but to put Roberts in to save his job.
then start him in TFC 2. TFC 1 is for the real pros

Canary10
07-19-2016, 03:37 PM
I think this game will be tough given who we have injured. Would be good to see Jozy come in for Hamilton instead of Hagglund though.

anto7
07-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Disagree with the sentiments towards Bono. Yes he made a glaring error, however in the bigger picture I think he has done pretty well since he came into the side. Lots of people were singing his praises not too long ago and a number of TFC players voiced how well he had been doing. Drop him for the game on Sat and you will destroy his confidence. Not trying to admonish his guilt on that play however there are a few other players on the team who didn't exactly cover themselves in glory leading up to the shot. If he messes up again on Sat then sure drop him after that.

Red4ever
07-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Disagree with the sentiments towards Bono. Yes he made a glaring error, however in the bigger picture I think he has done pretty well since he came into the side. Lots of people were singing his praises not too long ago and a number of TFC players voiced how well he had been doing. Drop him for the game on Sat and you will destroy his confidence. Not trying to admonish his guilt on that play however there are a few other players on the team who didn't exactly cover themselves in glory leading up to the shot. If he messes up again on Sat then sure drop him after that.

this

Pint
07-19-2016, 07:42 PM
He has been in for what 5/6 games and already had 2 massive mistakes leading to goals against and dropped points.

If we are not going to give our Academy product a shot after several years of being an under study and productive USL goalkeeper then we need to move on from him this off-season.

Hamilton was thought of as being lower on the depth chart than Q at the beginning or the season. Not saying he will have that same type of impact but he deserves a shot at this point.

Lennon
07-20-2016, 12:54 AM
I think he's been bad even if we exclude those 2 mistakes. Every game he has moments where he comes off his line erratically and gets no one near the ball. Guy is trying too hard to be like Manuel Neuer.

CBTFC
07-20-2016, 07:48 AM
The moment Irwin was injured, we should've made picking up a proper starting keeper our #1 priority.

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 08:59 AM
The moment Irwin was injured, we should've made picking up a proper starting keeper our #1 priority.

We have more important needs then a #2 keeper.

The kids can only be tested by playing. IF they fail, then we move on. Bono is half way through his GA contract. If he flames out and spends the rest of the time stopping shots out near the 407, then all we did is try out a 1st round pick and it didn't work.

In other news, the current forecast for Saturday is hot and humid with little wind. Don't expect a lot of hustle and bustle out there.

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 10:15 AM
And DCU just dropped its one DP striker for a more of a grafter type. Will change their offence considerably but not sure how this will play out on Saturday.

KurtLarSUN
07-20-2016, 10:23 AM
FWIW. Ricketts could be available by the weekend.

reggie
07-20-2016, 10:33 AM
and BEZ will be buying him out in Jan.

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 10:37 AM
That's going to go over at best as a "Meh".

KurtLarSUN
07-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Think people are underestimating his abilities. He has experience. He'll be useful against ordinary MLS defences. We only see him in difficult World Cup qualifiers.

Canary10
07-20-2016, 10:44 AM
Some speed on the counter would help a lot, although that needs to involve moving the ball quickly as opposed to just having quicker players. We move the ball at the speed of molasses.

reggie
07-20-2016, 10:47 AM
i hope in my lifetime we actually get a AM

Areathrasher
07-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Some speed on the counter would help a lot, although that needs to involve moving the ball quickly as opposed to just having quicker players. We move the ball at the speed of molasses.

Agreed. Not a sprinter but a quick thinker.

Stress
07-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Espindola being traded to Vancouver is good timing for us.

bigredone
07-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Win the fucking game convincingly, make smart substitutions, play with some killer instinct and with a fire in your heart. How's that?

Cry Havoc! and let them slip those mutha fucken dogs of war. :drinking:

Keep in Bono, he should have gained confidence in the San Jose game I know, but DC goal drought should continue.

PopePouri
07-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Espindola being traded to Vancouver is good timing for us.

LOL. There goes the only true creator they have in the squad.

Canary10
07-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Whatever happened to Luis Silva?

ed: Just googled him. He's playing in Mexico. Good for him. I don't even remember him being traded to RSL.

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Whatever happened to Luis Silva?

ed: Just googled him. He's playing in Mexico. Good for him. I don't even remember him being traded to RSL.

He's buried on a 35 person roster. Has not played a minute.

Canary10
07-20-2016, 12:41 PM
He's buried on a 35 person roster. Has not played a minute.

At least he's on a team. That's better than I thought tbh.

notthesun
07-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Signing Ricketts puts Vanney in an interesting position now. He has been training with us for 2 months so he should be ready to play this match, if not the whole 90 minutes. But Altidore should also get some playing time, and Hamilton has proven himself capable.

Giovinco starts, obviously. If we play with 2 strikers, I guess you'd have to start Hamilton. I don't think a Giovinco-Ricketts partnership would work at all. So that means Altidore would come in for Hamilton at some point in the 2nd half, but then Ricketts doesn't really fit anywhere. I really don't want to be playing Ricketts at RM or LM, that's the same mistake we made with Oduro all over again.

Wouldn't surprise me to a see a 4-3-3 for this then, or maybe we switch to it if Ricketts is coming off the bench. Giovinco at LW, Ricketts at RW, Hamilton/Altidore at ST.

GhostKiller
07-20-2016, 03:51 PM
--------Gio-------Hamilton------
---Oso----Endo-----Ricketts----
--------------Cheyrou------------
Morrow--Moor---Williams---Biet---
---------------Bono---------------

Bench: Q, Alti, Hag, Chapman, Delgado, babouli

OR

----Gio----Hamilton-----Babouli--
-----Oso-----Endo-----Ricketts---
------------Cheyrou------------
---Morrow-----Moor------Biet---
--------------Roberts-------------

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2016, 04:06 PM
Signing Ricketts puts Vanney in an interesting position now. He has been training with us for 2 months so he should be ready to play this match, if not the whole 90 minutes. But Altidore should also get some playing time, and Hamilton has proven himself capable.

Giovinco starts, obviously. If we play with 2 strikers, I guess you'd have to start Hamilton. I don't think a Giovinco-Ricketts partnership would work at all. So that means Altidore would come in for Hamilton at some point in the 2nd half, but then Ricketts doesn't really fit anywhere. I really don't want to be playing Ricketts at RM or LM, that's the same mistake we made with Oduro all over again.

Wouldn't surprise me to a see a 4-3-3 for this then, or maybe we switch to it if Ricketts is coming off the bench. Giovinco at LW, Ricketts at RW, Hamilton/Altidore at ST.
Any set up that takes Osorio off the pitch is good for me. He needs to have a sit for a little while.

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 04:30 PM
A set up with both Seba and Osorio on the same side is a disaster defensively. DCU likes to cross the ball - heck its their only real offensive tactic.

portu
07-20-2016, 06:41 PM
I'd like to see the 4-3-3 reemerge with Ricketts signed. Roberts; Beita, Zavs, Moor, Morrow; Cheyrou, Delgado, Chapman; Giovinco, Hamilton, Ricketts

Maybe put Endoh in for Ricketts / Osorio for Chapman

jloome
07-20-2016, 09:21 PM
I don't think we can just throw Ricketts into the lineup even with the practice time. He hasn't earned that; I get no sense he was signed to start right away, and it sends a poor message to the other players to hand him a starting slot.

AFCB+TFC
07-21-2016, 01:05 AM
Any set up that takes Osorio off the pitch is good for me. He needs to have a sit for a little while.

Agreed. He's been terrible this year, an absolute joke MLS has starters this shit.

Blindside16
07-21-2016, 02:38 AM
This is a big 3 points that we need to put away. Our all time record against DC is 8W-12L-4D 28GF 41GA, the last five games are 2W-2L-1D 4GF 6GA. We have to find a way to bury our chances. They haven't been able to score much either so if we can keep a tight back line 1 goal should do the trick.

Derko
07-21-2016, 06:25 AM

^This

Derko
07-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Agreed. He's been terrible this year, an absolute joke MLS has starters this shit.

TFC has a starter this shit, is that what you mean?

Richard
07-21-2016, 11:12 AM
I don't think we can just throw Ricketts into the lineup even with the practice time. He hasn't earned that; I get no sense he was signed to start right away, and it sends a poor message to the other players to hand him a starting slot.

After the last game everyone's spot is available, my bet is they put him on for 60 minutes or a mid game sub for 30 minutes.

KGH
07-21-2016, 11:12 AM

Unless you've been spending time watching TFC practice I don't think I could disagree with you more.

Game time is always earned in practice. Period. If he's the best man consistently in practice then he gets the start. And it sends the right message to everyone that it should. What you do on the practice field should 100% translate to playing time. Imagine the message it would send if guys didn't take practice seriously but still got playing time.

Yes we're talking about practice man. Practice.

Richard
07-21-2016, 11:15 AM
^^^^

Game time is not determined by practice alone, its gets your foot in the door but its your performance in a game situation that keeps you there.

jloome
07-21-2016, 11:21 AM
^^^^

Game time is not determined by practice alone, its gets your foot in the door but its your performance in a game situation that keeps you there.

More to the point, it doesn't really matter how well Ricketts does in practice, because the people already ahead of him have to do worse, first. If they're practicing well, and we have no reason to assume they aren't, they can't just take someone's starting spot away, unless they're already on the bubble.

Of course if we switch to 433 all bets are off, as we don't really have the healthy bodies NOT to play him in that situation. We have no one else up top with speed other than Giovinco or Babouli, and the latter hasn't scored a goal or gotten more than a shot or two off.

OgtheDim
07-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Hmm...Jimmy Brennan nite might be overtaken by Pokemon Go shenanigans. :)

OgtheDim
07-21-2016, 11:58 AM
The Return of the Altidore

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/756169778239311872

KGH
07-21-2016, 12:05 PM
There it is... eventually 4-3-3?

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/756170126106370048

reggie
07-21-2016, 12:08 PM
it sure sounds like he is on pins and needles when it comes to Jozy.

Red4ever
07-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Got a group going in 205. Should be able to drown out the 7-8 DC fans.

AFCB+TFC
07-21-2016, 01:00 PM
TFC has a starter this shit, is that what you mean?

I'm not going to pretend I know every teams starting 11 because I follow EPL way more avidly than MLS (and I recommend those who don't start to as it's way more entertaining) but surely Osorio isn't the worst starter in the entire league, I'd imagine the bottom feeder teams are filled with Oso's. Was as much a critique of TFC as MLS, until they raise the salary cap this league will continue to be a joke in the eyes of Europe and many if not most of North Americans as well. It's just the sad reality.

I still love watching TFC games, but for all the Garber talk of making this one of the best leagues in the world he sounds ridiculous were not even close to Liga MX and the quality will only keep stagnating once they bring in more teams to the league.

Yohan
07-21-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm not going to pretend I know every teams starting 11 because I follow EPL way more avidly than MLS (and I recommend those who don't start to as it's way more entertaining) but surely Osorio isn't the worst starter in the entire league, I'd imagine the bottom feeder teams are filled with Oso's. Was as much a critique of TFC as MLS, until they raise the salary cap this league will continue to be a joke in the eyes of Europe and many if not most of North Americans as well. Sad reality, I still love watching TFC games, but for all the Garber talk of making this one of the best leagues in the world he sounds ridiculous were not even close to Liga MX and the quality will only keep stagnating once they bring in more teams to the league.
Disagreed. The quality of players in the league keep going up despite recent bunch of expansion teams. Imported int talents and youth academies now cranking out domestic players seems to keep the quality of leagues going up. If you see USL and NASL rosters, you'd see a lot of ex MLSers on those rosters, players who would have been playing in MLS 2-3 yrs ago.

AFCB+TFC
07-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Disagreed. The quality of players in the league keep going up despite recent bunch of expansion teams. Imported int talents and youth academies now cranking out domestic players seems to keep the quality of leagues going up. If you see USL and NASL rosters, you'd see a lot of ex MLSers on those rosters, players who would have been playing in MLS 2-3 yrs ago.

It is good to see academies cranking out MLS quality players and I agree the quality of the league has increased since I started watching in the Defoe season, but the growth would be significantly better without us bring out in Miami, Minnesota and LAFC into the league in the near future. I realize that the salary cap is here to stay for the time being but I think they need to take a loan and up it significantly to attract better players that aren't DP's. If soccer really is the fastest growing sport in America this shouldn't be a problem.

I posted a thread in my Bournemouth forum that people should check out MLS in the off-season after the Euros if they need a soccer fix and got laughed at. The truth is I doubt any MLS team would get promoted from League 1 in England due to poor depth and poor technical skills. To me the although I love it, the league is overrated. I mean for Christ's sake Toronto FC and AFC Bournemouth have the same 3.5 star rating in Fifa 16 and we all know we'd lose about 8-1 over two legs to them. I might be sounding overly harsh on the league but it's because I want it to be a respectable league in the next 5 years and on the current projection that is not going to happen.

OgtheDim
07-21-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm not going to pretend I know every teams starting 11 because I follow EPL way more avidly than MLS (and I recommend those who don't start to as it's way more entertaining) ....

Well don't get me started on supporters of a team that spent the vast majority of its existence in Div 3-4 talking down to MLS. :D

Hype over local vibe.

This is our house, our team, our passion.

Game thread for a hot and hazy experience on a Saturday night with a full house. Clapping, singing, drinking, shouting, yelling, moaning....supporting the local team.

Is it the best football?

No.

But its all ours.

Roll on Saturday night... :scarf:

PopePouri
07-21-2016, 01:35 PM
There it is... eventually 4-3-3?

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/756170126106370048

If Seba did a little more work off the ball and we brought in Edwards, we'd be a really good 4-3-3 team for a number of reasons...

1. We'd be able to field a midfield three of Cheyrou, Johnson and Bradley. We'd probably get the best out of Oso and Chapman as well as shuttling creative players.
2. Other than maybe Seba, we'd have everyone playing in the preferred positions.
3. Our front 3 would be a good mix of direct pacy wingers (Edwards, Ricketts), creative wide players (Babouli, Endoh and Seba) and no. 9s (Altidore and Hamilton).
4. We'd have a much better defensive block as a 4-5-1 instead of diamond that can be easily stretched if the shuttlers aren't Johnson or Delgado.

Given that Seba has had problems scoring in the FW position, maybe it's best to push him out wide to get him more space and tell him to increase his workload defensively.

anto7
07-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Well don't get me started on supporters of a team that spent the vast majority of its existence in Div 3-4 talking down to MLS. :D

Hype over local vibe.

Game thread for a hot and hazy experience on a Saturday night with a full house. Clapping, singing, drinking, shouting, yelling, moaning....supporting the local team.

Is it the best football?

No.

But its all ours.

Well said my man

C.Ronaldo
07-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Unless you've been spending time watching TFC practice I don't think I could disagree with you more.

Game time is always earned in practice. Period. If he's the best man consistently in practice then he gets the start. And it sends the right message to everyone that it should. What you do on the practice field should 100% translate to playing time. Imagine the message it would send if guys didn't take practice seriously but still got playing time.

Yes we're talking about practice man. Practice.
bankrupt iverson would disagree

Yohan
07-21-2016, 02:05 PM
It is good to see academies cranking out MLS quality players and I agree the quality of the league has increased since I started watching in the Defoe season, but the growth would be significantly better without us bring out in Miami, Minnesota and LAFC into the league in the near future. I realize that the salary cap is here to stay for the time being but I think they need to take a loan and up it significantly to attract better players that aren't DP's. If soccer really is the fastest growing sport in America this shouldn't be a problem.

I posted a thread in my Bournemouth forum that people should check out MLS in the off-season after the Euros if they need a soccer fix and got laughed at. The truth is I doubt any MLS team would get promoted from League 1 in England due to poor depth and poor technical skills. To me the although I love it, the league is overrated. I mean for Christ's sake Toronto FC and AFC Bournemouth have the same 3.5 star rating in Fifa 16 and we all know we'd lose about 8-1 over two legs to them. I might be sounding overly harsh on the league but it's because I want it to be a respectable league in the next 5 years and on the current projection that is not going to happen.
I don't know if you ever watched MLS from 2008-2010 era (the beginning of MLS 2.0 era) in comparison, MLS made leaps and bounds in quality of the league, certainly unprecedented among other leagues in the world, maybe except China. And even in China, it has a strict foreigner limit, but clubs (driven by the Chinese govt) is spending tons of money into infrastructure and youths, same thing MLS is doing now.

MLS is available in UK and Europe on TV. Slowly but surely, there is a minority that does watch MLS and with more TV exposure, it's going to gain more audience. Those that just watch EPL and ignore other leagues, well, so much you can do to convince their minds.

I'm ok with the methodical and steady rise of quality of MLS, without the crazy financial risks.

AFCB+TFC
07-21-2016, 02:41 PM

Hype over local vibe.

Is it the best football?

No.

But its all ours.

Well I pointed out the hypocrisy of a team who's spent the vast majority of its years in L1 and L2 talking down to MLS. However, it's not like MLS is any better than L1 where they've seen the majority of their years. I watched AFCB play Portsmouth in a cup game last season and Portsmouth moved the ball better than any MLS team I've ever seen. This is a club vying for promotion from L2 at the time and ultimately failed at that. Yes I know it's our league and it will forever be close to my heart for that, perhaps I'd be less frustrated if I lived in Toronto and could attend the games, I'm sure I wouldn't mind the quality of play as much then. I just find it frustrating seeing Champions League talent like Giovinco have to lay the ball off to guys like Oso, Endoh and Delgado who could very possibly be playing in the f'ing Conference if they were English. Anyways rant over.

AFCB+TFC
07-21-2016, 02:49 PM
I don't know if you ever watched MLS from 2008-2010 era (the beginning of MLS 2.0 era) in comparison, MLS made leaps and bounds in quality of the league, certainly unprecedented among other leagues in the world, maybe except China. And even in China, it has a strict foreigner limit, but clubs (driven by the Chinese govt) is spending tons of money into infrastructure and youths, same thing MLS is doing now.

MLS is available in UK and Europe on TV. Slowly but surely, there is a minority that does watch MLS and with more TV exposure, it's going to gain more audience. Those that just watch EPL and ignore other leagues, well, so much you can do to convince their minds.

I'm ok with the methodical and steady rise of quality of MLS, without the crazy financial risks.

Nah I never watched from 08-10 but watching the past 3 years I just feel like although the league is improving each year slowly, we are approaching the glass ceiling our league format creates. I hope with time and more effort going into coaching at the youth level and academies improving that the league will continue to get better depth but with the high cost of competitive soccer in both the USA and Canada I have my doubts. In my opinion the league should be focusing more on scouting South America and improving the image of the league by appointing competent refs (this is possible my old math teacher in high school was a linesmen in MLS and said they were paid peanuts) I'm not sure the financial side of the league but I'd wager they're making a profit now and all of that should be used to increase the salary cap in my opinion. I can see why you'd prefer slow steady growth after what happened to the last big soccer promotion in Canada/USA

jloome
07-21-2016, 03:02 PM
This is a club vying for promotion from L2 at the time and ultimately failed at that. .

Dissuade yourself of the notion that because L2 is often tactically better at moving the ball that most of them would even make it in MLS.

They've had plenty of guys from above that level that tried and failed, because it's a different style of football, predicated on speed and physicality. I've watched English football for years and everyone who goes from it to MLS initially thinks MLS is conference level or below because they don't stroke the ball around as well. But it's just not reality.

AFCB+TFC
07-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Dissuade yourself of the notion that because L2 is often tactically better at moving the ball that most of them would even make it in MLS.

They've had plenty of guys from above that level that tried and failed, because it's a different style of football, predicated on speed and physicality. I've watched English football for years and everyone who goes from it to MLS initially thinks MLS is conference level or below because they don't stroke the ball around as well. But it's just not reality.

While this is a good point that players playing in L2 or or even some L1 could have a hard time transferring over to MLS because they would need to change their style of play to something they aren't able to; I'd still favour Portsmouth against most MLS teams (at the very least to get a draw) because they move the ball much better (not to mention have better coaching) and we'd have trouble getting it back. Maybe they just played a blinder that day but AFCB started some first team players and about half of their reserves and barely eeked out a 2-1 win. I don't think most MLS teams would lose by less than a couple e goals against that AFCB team.

MLS players may be faster but the ball moves faster than any player can.

AtomicAnt
07-21-2016, 04:41 PM
On a side note, saw this- https://twitter.com/americancasual1/status/749437148982501377 and was wondering if there are any plans in the works for a tifo this weekend?

OgtheDim
07-21-2016, 05:18 PM
That's a club one - sponsored by Benjamin Moore if you follow the tweets.

Pint
07-21-2016, 05:34 PM
It's going on the upper east side at some point, typical sponsor overstepping it's boundaries. No support tifo this weekend.

OgtheDim
07-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Bet ya they decide to roll that across the Upper West again during play, like earlier in the season, but now right during the second half clap.

Pint
07-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Who knows, no matter how they do it it's a dumb idea and hopefully marketing and corporate partnerships have stopped doing stuff like this.

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2016, 07:41 AM
It's going on the upper east side at some point, typical sponsor overstepping it's boundaries. No support tifo this weekend.

Who knows, no matter how they do it it's a dumb idea and hopefully marketing and corporate partnerships have stopped doing stuff like this.

I'll wait for the end product to weigh in. Jimmy needs a banner on his day and they're providing. We'll see how much the sponsor takes away from it.

Auzzy
07-22-2016, 09:05 AM
i hope in my lifetime we actually get a AM

I can remember only one bona-fide, good AM in 10 years: Amado Guevara. Were there any others?

zamperina
07-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Looking like only 500-700 tickets left for this game. Should be another sellout!

That noise you here is the Argos drooling...

Pint
07-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Looking like only 500-700 tickets left for this game. Should be another sellout!

That noise you here is the Argos drooling...

Ya but is Duran Duran playing saturday??????????

zamperina
07-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Ya but is Duran Duran playing saturday??????????

HAHA :)

Also its "Too Hot" for Argos fans...

Canary10
07-22-2016, 09:31 AM
I've been really impressed at attendance this year. The extra seats aren't looking unnecessary the way they did when the reno was first proposed. Why is it so good this year? The new stadium? Good weather? Coming off a playoff season?

Voodooman
07-22-2016, 09:39 AM
From what I have been hearing from people around work and such is that they hear from others how much fun it is to go to a game. They like being outside and the billboards around the city I guess could have helped as well.

I feel as though the word of mouth has been the most key though

Pint
07-22-2016, 09:45 AM
I think the main part of it is TFC is priced at a decent spot (still think the upper east is a little high but it's selling). I haven't heard very many if any complaints about the game being boring, if anything I always hear that the atmosphere is awesome and different than other sports. Outdoors but with cover so people are not waiting til game day to make a purchasing decision.

I'm sure last years taste of success helped a fair bit as well.

Only complaint I hear is about the GO Tunnel

Richard
07-22-2016, 09:49 AM
The roof also helps a great deal.

Canary10
07-22-2016, 09:52 AM
I think the main part of it is TFC is priced at a decent spot (still think the upper east is a little high but it's selling). I haven't heard very many if any complaints about the game being boring, if anything I always hear that the atmosphere is awesome and different than other sports. Outdoors but with cover so people are not waiting til game day to make a purchasing decision.

I'm sure last years taste of success helped a fair bit as well.

Only complaint I hear is about the GO Tunnel

Yeah, hate that tunnel. Another example of bad city planning. Much worse with the 30,000 crowds too.

Pint
07-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Yeah, hate that tunnel. Another example of bad city planning. Much worse with the 30,000 crowds too.

Decent signage in the tunnel could help... I'm always going into liberty village after the game but i still turn to the right and take the less crowded stairs and every time as i'm walking back to the entrance to liberty village ton of people are walking the other way.

Simple sign "Trains stay right" "Liberty Village left" would help.

Ultra & Proud
07-22-2016, 10:09 AM
I say this every match day; would it kill them to make a couple of smaller pedestrian bridges over the tracks at a few points from the EX to ease tunnel congestion.

Auzzy
07-22-2016, 10:26 AM
And I believe doing anything above or around the tracks is always a major PITA.

Walms
07-22-2016, 10:28 AM
I say this every match day; would it kill them to make a couple of smaller pedestrian bridges over the tracks at a few points from the EX to ease tunnel congestion.

especially because its been 10 years of this bottle necked people traffic jam..... think Go transit would they ask MLSE to help chip in on the bill?

Canary10
07-22-2016, 10:36 AM
especially because its been 10 years of this bottle necked people traffic jam..... think Go transit would they ask MLSE to help chip in on the bill?

Someone might get hurt eventually. It's so packed in there now with our sell out crowds. All it would take is a couple of people trying to run for a train.

Walms
07-22-2016, 10:41 AM
Someone might get hurt eventually. It's so packed in there now with our sell out crowds. All it would take is a couple of people trying to run for a train.

Or catch a Pokemon :picard:

QBall
07-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Looks like Bono gets the start.

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/756540856262201344

Pint
07-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Ridiculous

Also just a heads up that Beerfest appears to end at the same time as kickoff.

Joe Kool
07-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Also just a heads up that Beerfest appears to end at the same time as kickoff.

Lots of people tend to park near BMO for Beerfest so people driving down need to get there early enough if they are parking beside the stadium. Good news is it looks like no other events in the area so that will be the only parking/traffic issue for this game.

Pint
07-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Lots of people tend to park near BMO for Beerfest so people driving down need to get there early enough if they are parking beside the stadium. Good news is it looks like no other events in the area so that will be the only parking/traffic issue for this game.

People drive to beerfest? it sounds more like an event you show up to and 8-11 hours later you are trying to walk through a McDonalds drive through.

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2016, 02:34 PM
People drive to beerfest? it sounds more like an event you show up to and 8-11 hours later you are trying to walk through a McDonalds drive through.

Or walk home to Newmarket.

jloome
07-22-2016, 02:44 PM

But a faster player applies faster pressure, particularly with MLS teams commonly pressing full field. That changes a lot. Suddenly those smooth passes aren't quite quick or accurate enough, and the team coughs it up in space, with their whole team spaced out. Go watch the aussie 'a' league; their teams also move the ball around much, much more smoothly than mls. And yet there is no doubt the speed and pressure isn't close.

It's fine to say portsmouth moves the ball well when they're playing against teams that play exactly the same way they do. Let's see how they react to faster players choking them full-field constantly. It works in basketball, too, and not every team is great at breaking pressure.

It's really apples-vs-oranges. It's only when you get to elite level of football that great tactical teams also have the speed, strength and tenacity to rip apart a full-field press easily. (It's also why elite teams lose so commonly to MLS teams in pre-season exhibitions; you can't play tactical movement at half-speed against full-speed coverage, full field.)

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2016, 02:49 PM

I think I learned this from Goal: The movie g:D

Kamp Berg
07-22-2016, 02:51 PM
FWIW - Worst projected lineup this year in my opinion. Did they pick out of a hat?
http://toronto-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/2016-StartingXI-072316.png

OgtheDim
07-22-2016, 02:59 PM
That midfield ain't gonna happen.

Blizzard
07-22-2016, 03:33 PM
And I believe doing anything above or around the tracks is always a major PITA.

This!

Jpexxx
07-22-2016, 03:38 PM
FWIW - Worst projected lineup this year in my opinion. Did they pick out of a hat?
http://toronto-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/2016-StartingXI-072316.png

Not like they've ever gotten it right anyways lol g:D

mistercorporate
07-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Either this is to throw the competition off or Vanney has found another job, either way someone's taking the piss!

Kaz
07-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Either this is to throw the competition off or Vanney has found another job, either way someone's taking the piss!

No no.. someone is taking all the the Pisses.. drinking it.. re-expelling it and taking it again... because that is how sick a joke that line up is.

AFCB+TFC
07-22-2016, 08:47 PM
I think I learned this from Goal: The movie g:D

Lol I feel like that whole movie was a meme.

AFCB+TFC
07-22-2016, 08:58 PM
But a faster player applies faster pressure, particularly with MLS teams commonly pressing full field. That changes a lot. Suddenly those smooth passes aren't quite quick or accurate enough, and the team coughs it up in space, with their whole team spaced out. Go watch the aussie 'a' league; their teams also move the ball around much, much more smoothly than mls. And yet there is no doubt the speed and pressure isn't close.

It's fine to say portsmouth moves the ball well when they're playing against teams that play exactly the same way they do. Let's see how they react to faster players choking them full-field constantly. It works in basketball, too, and not every team is great at breaking pressure.

It's really apples-vs-oranges. It's only when you get to elite level of football that great tactical teams also have the speed, strength and tenacity to rip apart a full-field press easily. (It's also why elite teams lose so commonly to MLS teams in pre-season exhibitions; you can't play tactical movement at half-speed against full-speed coverage, full field.)

You make a good point and I'm not surprised because your a good poster. I can't remember if Bournemouth tried pressing them that game as it was a makeshift lineup for them. You could very well be right that MLS is superior to the best L2 teams (would be interesting to see MLS teams in the Johnstone's Paint trophy although I know that's impossible.) I personally prefer the play style in England (not that that means they're better). Kind of off-topic but I'm really looking forward to seeing how Liverpool does this season as their high press is very fun to watch and it will be interesting to see how if the big teams deal with it in the manner you said. Jurgen has now had a window to get players in so there's no excuses this year. Do you follow a Premier League team?

AFCB+TFC
07-22-2016, 11:01 PM

Lol good thing Bacardi is rarely accurate, that would be a shambolic midfield.

jloome
07-22-2016, 11:35 PM
You make a good point and I'm not surprised because your a good poster. I can't remember if Bournemouth tried pressing them that game as it was a makeshift lineup for them. You could very well be right that MLS is superior to the best L2 teams (would be interesting to see MLS teams in the Johnstone's Paint trophy although I know that's impossible.) I personally prefer the play style in England (not that that means they're better). Kind of off-topic but I'm really looking forward to seeing how Liverpool does this season as their high press is very fun to watch and it will be interesting to see how if the big teams deal with it in the manner you said. Jurgen has now had a window to get players in so there's no excuses this year. Do you follow a Premier League team?

Liverpool, since '77. I think it'll help them avoid so many lost points against weaker teams, who always seem to treat us like its an FA cup final. I don't know how much good it'll do against Citeh.

MLS will only become a premier league when it combines its current style with more tactical discipline, I think. It'll probably grow organically over time into a league more like Argentina or France, where there's still a lot of pressing and physicality but also technique and ball movement.

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 12:36 AM
Liverpool, since '77. I think it'll help them avoid so many lost points against weaker teams, who always seem to treat us like its an FA cup final. I don't know how much good it'll do against Citeh.

MLS will only become a premier league when it combines its current style with more tactical discipline, I think. It'll probably grow organically over time into a league more like Argentina or France, where there's still a lot of pressing and physicality but also technique and ball movement.

Right on man, well things are certainly looking up for Liverpool with Klopp in charge. To be fair, I agree with what you say about not losing so many points to the weaker teams with this system but you guys had some great results against the other big clubs last year (although it looks like those big clubs have all gotten significantly better this summer as well)

What's your opinion on selling Ibe to Bournemouth for 15 million?

Think you're spot on with your analysis of the future of MLS. I can see the technical and tactical side improving till it rivals other fringe top leagues but it won't ever be as big as the very best leagues in my opinion.

Joe Kool
07-23-2016, 01:12 AM

Haha yeah I hear ya but going by the last couple of years they do. Designated drivers, sleeping it off in the car. Whatever works as long as they don't drive when they shouldn't. I did the walk through a late night Wendy's thing when I was younger for a bit but it was catching on with other people then they put a stop to it. Oh well...good while it lasted.

molenshtain
07-23-2016, 01:13 AM
What's your opinion on selling Ibe to Bournemouth for 15 million?

Great fucking deal. Ibe's shite. His decision making is worse than Sterling's.

jloome
07-23-2016, 01:29 AM

Yeah, 15 million pounds is good business for him before he turns into our Andros Townsend.

OgtheDim
07-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Weather network calling for a 21km/h breeze out of the north at kickoff. 28 feeling like 33.

Going to be rocking....

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 09:44 AM
They have to do something about that. It's an unmitigated disaster. Is anything planned?

OgtheDim
07-23-2016, 10:45 AM
They have to do something about that. It's an unmitigated disaster. Is anything planned?

The streetcars are supposed to be back going into the Ex by mid August. They are planning to run them there during the Ex for sure but there was talk a the time this started that they would have to finish off some stuff afterwards and thus close them again.

We'll see but if they do come back, that will relieve a lot of pressure.

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 11:26 AM
I don't think that's enough. Those stairs were crowded to begin with, even before the streetcar nonsense.

They need to invest in a pedestrian bridge or something similar.

Canary10
07-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Yeah it's always been bad. With the crowds we're getting now it's so much worse.

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Yeah, 15 million pounds is good business for him before he turns into our Andros Townsend.

I haven't encountered a Liverpool fan yet that doesn't like the deal. I keep telling myself it's not as bad as paying 7 million for Lewis Grabban at least :facepalm:

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 03:55 PM

I hope Eddie Howe can work his magic like he did with Josh King then! King was garbage for half the year then became a key player for us. Credited Howe as the only manager he's had who knows his shit haha.

OgtheDim
07-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Hamid might be out of the game.

That is big for us.

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Oso has the flu and won't be in the 11 or on the bench. Praise be to Jesus.

nonc
07-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Bono could lay across the line for 90 minutes and Vanney would still start him.

I like how Bono didn't even take responsibility for the 2-1 SJ goal... called it an "accident"

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Bono in goal...I mean I understand benching him now would shatter his confidence but he's a liability at this point. What's it been 2 howlers in 5 games? That's not even good enough to start in the NASL

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 06:44 PM
117 shots from Seba compared to 29 from DC's most frequent shooter this season. Nuts. Love the guy but he's gotta trust his teammates more if their in a better position to score than he is.

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Damn that skill move by Cheyrou!

nonc
07-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Why is Chapman complaining, like shut up you should have had 2 yellows already.

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Nice goal. Too bad the score camera work today is just dreadful.

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 07:07 PM
What was that? Good grief.

nonc
07-23-2016, 07:09 PM
That is why we can't have nice things

Kaz
07-23-2016, 07:09 PM
That was not good.

Kaz
07-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Hey look at that playing as a team results in goals.

DIEHARDTFC
07-23-2016, 07:14 PM
way to be delgado!!

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 07:22 PM
I hope we score here. Have these guys done anything but wave their hands up and down after every clear foul call this half?

Edit: gol!

DIEHARDTFC
07-23-2016, 07:24 PM
guess whos back!!! calling it now, 4 goal match for seba!

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 07:24 PM
Seba I love you.

Kaz
07-23-2016, 07:30 PM
And now we are playing Vanney ball.

Richard
07-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Just tuning in, can someone tell me why we are in those hideous blue jerseys. :facepalm:

Other than that thumbs up to TFC.

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Midfield looks out of sorts. Need to firm up that shape.

Richard
07-23-2016, 08:14 PM
Ricckets!

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 08:15 PM
This is starting to look like a brasileirao game. 5 up, 5 back, nothing in the midfield but empty space.

Richard
07-23-2016, 08:32 PM
Omg a goal from a cross.

Kaz
07-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Is Ricketts Canadian Pablo Vitti?

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 08:36 PM
i'd say that was a deserved victory. We just flat out outplayed them. Hopefully giovinco can carry this into the next run of games.

General Woolfe
07-23-2016, 08:36 PM
"Seba's on fire! Your defence is terrified..."

:scarf:

(If ever a song was meant for a player it's this one)

Richard
07-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Everything went right, what a difference a week can make.

I thought Ricketts did well, should have scored one but he had some good positional sense which is good to see.

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 08:43 PM
Haven't seen us play this well in ages, Altidore coming back is a huge boost. Thought Ricketts did well despite not burying that one off the post.

Obviously Seba was huge, I am optimistic about this year. Think when healthy this team has a lot of potential. We just played a decent side off the pitch, that could have been 6-1 and we are missing some of our best players or they're not fully 90 minutes fit.

General Woolfe
07-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Everything went right, what a difference a week can make.

I thought Ricketts did well, should have scored one but he had some good positional sense which is good to see.

Ricketts finishing was dreadful. I pray it is rustiness. As you say his positional sense was good, but the chance he missed, hitting the post, was shocking

Kaz
07-23-2016, 08:46 PM
That is the kind of football I expect to see from this team. Hungry for goals till the end. Not settling for just a 1 or 2 goal lead.

The goal against was meh and looked bad.. but no one person did anything wrong and DC was playing a very aggressive game. Still one mistake one goal.. That same aggression though is the reason Seba got 2 of the 3 goals. We also got a team goal with only Gio on the pitch.. That is important. Too often we have played give him the ball and stand back.. which is why I think he has suffered.

IF we can play 4 games like this I will be very happy. And I just hope Ricketts was just rusty and isn't the love child of Mista and Vitti.

MightyDM
07-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Ricketts changed the game. We opened them ip completely once he came on. Yes they were tiring and attacking but it was night and day better play from us. His pace is a huge asset.

mistercorporate
07-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Ricketts has quality, finishing needs work but the man had field presence. Ricketts > Osorio and Ricketts > Delgado, in my opinion.

Detroit_TFC
07-23-2016, 09:04 PM
DCU a good example of a team with poor chemistry. Should be a lot better than they are. TFC caught a huge break with Bill Hamid scratching.

Another big game from Chapman, Endoh's shift in the midfield was surprisingly effective, and I'll say it - Bono had a good game. The stress falling off Seba after the first goal was visible.

AFCB+TFC
07-23-2016, 09:10 PM
Ricketts changed the game. We opened them ip completely once he came on. Yes they were tiring and attacking but it was night and day better play from us. His pace is a huge asset.

Agreed.

Eastend
07-23-2016, 09:23 PM
That was the fastest paced game by TFC I've seen in a long time. I don't really have a bad grade for any of the boys tonight. It was exciting to see that they can play like this.

Dom

notthesun
07-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Really needed this one, hopefully this is the start of a little run we can put together.

Kaz
07-23-2016, 09:37 PM

And missed a shot that should have been a tap in.

Which is why I made the comparison I did. Vitti was a decent player he just couldn't score with a guide rail into the net.

MightyDM
07-23-2016, 09:50 PM
And missed a shot that should have been a tap in.

Which is why I made the comparison I did. Vitti was a decent player he just couldn't score with a guide rail into the net.
Ricketts is not a DP like Vitti. He has been brought here to provide pace and width, and score a few.. he'll do that we'll. And the post wasn't a tap in, should have scored but the goalie was in a good position.

molenshtain
07-23-2016, 09:53 PM
#VanneyOut

ManUtd4ever
07-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Best effort of the season.

ensco
07-23-2016, 10:13 PM
When Seba is going, we are a good team.

Kaz
07-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Ricketts is not a DP like Vitti. He has been brought here to provide pace and width, and score a few.. he'll do that we'll. And the post wasn't a tap in, should have scored but the goalie was in a good position.

Vitti wasn't a DP either (ie didn't use a DP slot) and he played a similar role.

Like I say I hope it is just a little rust from not playing in a while. Though there are many people that aren't big on him

ManUtd4ever
07-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Ricketts was effective. Could be a solid addition to our attack, and he plays hard defensively.

Lennon
07-23-2016, 10:30 PM
The chance that Ricketts missed .. Hamilton scores that 9 times out of 10. Just sayin'.

Can't miss chances like that if you want Seba to pass to you.

reggie
07-23-2016, 10:48 PM
what you see is what you get with ricketts...hard working guy.but will miss a boat load of chances

OgtheDim
07-23-2016, 10:48 PM
We won 4-1. It was glorious to be there. Analysis can wait one night while I sleep with a smile.

pawlukj
07-23-2016, 10:49 PM
that was such a great game for giovinco to come out and get the monkey off his back, would have been cool to see him do that in North America lol, overall its looking like we can be a playoff team and that is all I want at this point, alot of clever movement today with players getting passes and spinning to open up and pass, I like that, and the goalie was pretty good for the most part, made some nice sliding saves, great time great game

does anybody know how many giovinco got? im too lazy to check, goals that is, was it 2 or 3?

The vikings chant was pretty sweet too lol

MightyDM
07-23-2016, 10:54 PM
It was a really enjoyable game to be at. Seba's Magic returned, Cheyrou was immense, and Chapman good, particularly going forward. However, there was at least ten minutes in the first half, and probably fifteen in the second, that we were all over the place defensively and could easily have given up a second goal. Endoh, although he works hard, was often out of position defensively - he failed to shut down his man on DC's first goal - Cheyrou went to speak with him right after, and Moor and Morrow both made defensive errors. Although Bono made good plays, he again made significant errors, they just did not lead to goals.

we looked liked conceding until Vanney made the subs. Full credit to Ricketts and Altidore for opening DC up, it was totally one way traffic which led to Sebas goal. It's going to be interesting to see selections and tactics from here in because there are now options.

TFC1154ever
07-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Absolute master class from Giovinco tonight. I think he's back people..... Benoit Cheyrou besides Giovinco has been our best player this season. Man is he fucken smooth and can kill you with a well delivered ball. Missed that screamer by like half a foot. The good for me was Seba (of course), Cheyrou, Endoh, Zavaleta, Altidore and Ricketts were both very active subs. Ricketts has to be used like this to be effectful. Bring him on with 15-20 to go to run at tired defenders. He is actually quite smarts with the timing of his runs. It's his touch and shot that lets him down. Will be an effectful sub. The bad: Chapman (i wanted to strangle him at points of the game. Gives the ball away way to easily.) and Morrow (completely out to lunch in the first half defensively). Moor and Morrow were at fault for their only goal. Hamilton had a decent game. That dummy he gave Gio for the 2nd goal off the post was disgusting. Huge 3 points and a must 3 points next Sunday against the Crew!!

ag futbol
07-23-2016, 11:36 PM
It was a really enjoyable game to be at. Seba's Magic returned, Cheyrou was immense, and Chapman good, particularly going forward. However, there was at least ten minutes in the first half, and probably fifteen in the second, that we were all over the place defensively and could easily have given up a second goal. Endoh, although he works hard, was often out of position defensively - he failed to shut down his man on DC's first goal - Cheyrou went to speak with him right after, and Moor and Morrow both made defensive errors. Although Bono made good plays, he again made significant errors, they just did not lead to goals.

we looked liked conceding until Vanney made the subs. Full credit to Ricketts and Altidore for opening DC up, it was totally one way traffic which led to Sebas goal. It's going to be interesting to see selections and tactics from here in because there are now options.
The midfield lost its shape a few times for extended periods. Chalk it up to youthful exuberance and a DCU team that wasn't threatening much offensively. I can't even remember them having more than 1-2 good chances outside of the goal which was an odd play.

hulkrogan
07-23-2016, 11:48 PM
We looked so much bigger once Jozy and Ricketts went up front in a 4-3-3 with Giovinco.

We missed Altidore. His link up play is deadly, and the guy can move and create space like crazy.

ronzilla
07-24-2016, 12:18 AM
Too early to be judging Ricketts, but it does look promising.

Giovinco was a monster tonight.

BelfastBoy
07-24-2016, 12:53 AM
Smashed 'em 4-1!

Jack
07-24-2016, 01:07 AM
Jozy Altidore's quality was noticeable tonight when he came in. Nice touch, nice hold up and nice play. Ricketts looks like he'll get a lot of chances and frustrate us, but probably score a few. Getting Bradley and Johnson bad with Altidore will make us very dangerous. Even a rusty Altidore made us a much more dangerous offensive team. I just hope he gets a goal or two to get his confidence up.

Yohan
07-24-2016, 01:13 AM
Great 3 pts. Glad that the boys were able to bounce back from such a terrible result vs SJ. Getting Giovinco out of his funk is massive.

On the other side, this DCU side was basically an NASL side with a lot of their key starters out. They are horrid, even when they have their key starters in. Plus playing them at home, not taking 3 pts would have been disastrous.

Lucky to get DCU after SJ fiasco. Let's build on this and make this 4 game home stand count.

Blizzard
07-24-2016, 01:32 AM
Jozy Altidore's quality was noticeable tonight when he came in. Nice touch, nice hold up and nice play. Ricketts looks like he'll get a lot of chances and frustrate us, but probably score a few. Getting Bradley and Johnson bad with Altidore will make us very dangerous. Even a rusty Altidore made us a much more dangerous offensive team. I just hope he gets a goal or two to get his confidence up.

Yes, Jozy knows how to play this game. Yes, we're all frustrated by his inability to pot a goal but his influence on the game was immediate and positive. His qualities are overlooked by too many. He's a difference maker and having him back is huge!

Hamilton_Red
07-24-2016, 01:55 AM
Best effort of the season.

Getting Alti back and adding Ricketts was a nice boost. Could be a nice momentum maker as each player comes back in to play. We are developing our depth players through this piece and that is going to be huge later on. Only blemish was Moor on the goal - that was brutal.

OgtheDim
07-24-2016, 07:27 AM
OK, DCU are crud and their midfield is a shambles so I suppose we shouldn't take too much out of this game but

gosh that was fun.

I like Hamilton, a lot. He dummies well, competes for everything in the air and links up well with Seba. But he's no Jozy Alitdore. It was funny because Altidore came on and somebody around me said "He's TFC's Hesky." We all laughed. And then he had 3 touches on the ball after coming back deep and I said "Uh, Hesky can't do that." We forget just how good he can be with ball to his feet. I would love to see a 4-3-3 with Ricketts on the left, Jozy on the right and Seba up top.

Ricketts played well. Looked the part of an MLS forward. Got into spaces, laid the ball off well, moved forward with pace, made a nuisance of himself, had to be accounted for...and missed a shot. On that outing, he looks better then Oduro.

Seba was really good at laying balls off. He is comfortable with Hamilton now, really comfortable with Altidore and was finding space with Ricketts.

The best bit about the midfield is when they got the ball, they went forward. I think Larson posted our possession in the first half was around 36% but did anybody notice? When we had the ball, we moved it at pace, as against swinging it around the back all the time. Even Delgado didn't do his usual look to pass it back thing. Admittedly, DCU's midfield is not very good but this season we havn't taken advantage of teams like this. Chapman is good in games like this (apart from the one time in the second half when we had a potential 3 on 1 break and he hoofed it out instead) cause he can see runners. Endoh had a solid game and found space for himself - still not sure how he created the space for himself on that shot.

Moor on that goal was a shocker, but did anybody else notice how Cheyrou went immediately to Endoh and told him he had to get more pressure on the pass in? I think that was Cheyrou's best game for us. He could sit back and didn't have to pull all the strings. And his ability to get out of a press is really useful.

Defence did good - amazing what happens when you have a consistent back 4. They were not pressed which made it easier. Morrow and Beitashour didn't have to go forward all the time which made it easier to stay solid and ready for their attacks. Sure Moor made one bad play but given everything else he does and did, I'll give him that. Zaveletta had a good game picking out the available midfielder.

Bono - still scares me occasionally but he's a good shot stopper and goes up for crosses with authority. And the lad can hoof the ball to a specific spot, which is more then I can say for anybody we had before Irwin.

All in all, the sort of game we should be getting against a team like this.

C.Ronaldo
07-24-2016, 08:14 AM
Each goal was highlight level.
The dummy, the free kicks, and altidores turn on the ball for blooms sweet cross

AirmanTFC
07-24-2016, 08:45 AM
The chance that Ricketts missed .. Hamilton scores that 9 times out of 10. Just sayin'.

Let's not forget Ricketts hasn't had much in the way of game action for several months.

ronzilla
07-24-2016, 09:14 AM
At the end of the game, all the players were celebrating a little with smiles on their faces and then Vanney comes trucking onto the field and starts arguing with Seba. WTF was that all about?

PopePouri
07-24-2016, 09:42 AM

9 out of 10 times, Hamilton doesn't make that run to set up the chance. It's what he needs to work on.

Derko
07-24-2016, 10:24 AM
At the end of the game, all the players were celebrating a little with smiles on their faces and then Vanney comes trucking onto the field and starts arguing with Seba. WTF was that all about?

1. Does Vanney speak Italian. or was arguing in English?
2. Maybe he was telling Seba he won player of the match?
3. Did you hear the alleged argument?
You do like to spin the drama don't you, just sayin

mistercorporate
07-24-2016, 10:54 AM
To be fair it did look like arguing, though it could have just been him getting feedback on if he was okay or got bruised up.

Richard
07-24-2016, 11:00 AM
It seems to me it was about how he brought others into the game more.

I initially wasn't too thrilled with the Rickkets acquisition but early on it seems like his presence is going to be beneficial, obviously he has to work on his finishing, but as along as he plays smart and has good off the ball movement it could work out quite well for us.

paul-collins
07-24-2016, 11:26 AM

9 out of 10 times, Hamilton doesn't make that run to set up the chance. It's what he needs to work on.
This.

Ricketts will frustrate us with misses, but there will be so many opportunities that he will still end up with a not insignificant number of points. He always gets in position to get those chances. (Plus he is very defensively responsible.)

As a frequent watcher of our Nats, I'm always stunned that he gets the start, and yet he still is close to de Rosario in goals per cap (.24 vs .27). On Floro's team (that plays a very defensive game), he scored 5 goals in 12 games last year.

More generally, I thought that he, Jozy and Gio looked immediately dangerous. That last half hour was fun. I'm particularly glad that Gio got a goal in run of play, after scoring twice on set pieces and hitting the post.

Also, I really liked Chapman. His desire to turn forwards is a nice change from Oso's tendency to lay the pass back. Yes there were giveaways, but he also made some great passes forward, especially to Hamilton.

PopePouri
07-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Looked like he was having a conversation and talking loudly.

molenshtain
07-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Thought it was noticeable that Vanney very quickly came out onto the field after the final whistle and paid respect to the fans. He almost never does that.the four or five guys who went down into the bunker to celebrate after full time was interesting too.

I think we really got the monkey off our back with this one. I'm betting we win out on this homestand. The young guys looked really good and our top players - bar Bradley Johnson and Irwin - are all coming back into shape and form. Exciting times. sad I'll miss next weekends game.

CBTFC
07-24-2016, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Osorio just lost his spot to Chapman.

This kid just seems to make quicker, and mentally sharper decisions than Osorio.

molenshtain
07-24-2016, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Osorio just lost his spot to Chapman.

This kid just seems to make quicker, and mentally sharper decisions than Osorio.

Chapman also has two feet, is better off the ball, and tries forward passes every now and again. Even if he played a couple of bad balls last night, I really like how he's played the last month.

ag futbol
07-24-2016, 02:02 PM
What I like about chapman is his willingness to drive into the space in front of him and take on opposing defenders not just for the sake of it but to make a play. Osorio had that in year 1; where did it go?

Anyway, I agree Osorio has probably lost his spot for the time being. Chapman still has work to do however. He lost the ball quite a few times last night drying to dribble out of our third of the field. Maybe it's just a need for more experience?

The good news is competition for these fringe spots is at an all-time high. These guys are going to have to stay hungry to get anywhere, especially with Edwards likely joining the first team in 2017.

OgtheDim
07-24-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm still not sold on Chapman when he doesn't have time on the ball. He'll be good for Columbus and NER but against a better midfield like RSL I'd sit him for Osorio.

reggie
07-24-2016, 04:00 PM
i must have watch a diff game but i thought Chapman was very average last night,to the point that vanney replaced him with a forward in the last 20 min because he had no mids on the bench.

Abou Sky
07-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Bummed I couldn't be there, you all sounded awesome!

Can we please twitter bomb Gerry Dobson that it is NOT the Iceland chant. It's not OUR clap either. But I remember doing this many years ago.

Blizzard
07-24-2016, 10:28 PM
i must have watch a diff game but i thought Chapman was very average last night,to the point that vanney replaced him with a forward in the last 20 min because he had no mids on the bench.

Nah Reg, he wanted Altidore and Ricketts to get minutes and I'm happy he did. Altidore showed his qualities and Ricketts showed what he's capable of.

I agree with Og that a front three of Altidore, Seba and Ricketts would be HUGE!

noimpactinmtl
07-24-2016, 11:02 PM
Bummed I couldn't be there, you all sounded awesome!

Can we please twitter bomb Gerry Dobson that it is NOT the Iceland chant. It's not OUR clap either. But I remember doing this many years ago.

Iceland adopted the chant from the Scots, and it's likely we have adopted it from the Scots as well. Pasta's origins may not be Italian, but it is so synonymous with Italy it might as well be.

Initial B
07-25-2016, 07:26 AM
I'm just wondering: Once everyone is healthy, is this our best formation and starting XI?

-----------------Irwin---------------------
Beits-----Moor-----Zavaleta-----Morrow
---------------Bradley--------------------
--------Cheyrou-----Johnston------------
-Ricketts------Altidore--------Giovinco-

Bench: Hamilton/Baboulli, Chapman, Delgado/Osorio, Bloom/Williams, Morgan, Bono

tfcocd
07-25-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm just wondering: Once everyone is healthy, is this our best formation and starting XI?

This proposed lineup/ formation looks to be the most experienced TFC can deploy and based on previous games there should be several other solid permutations that would also work.

What the bench highlights is competition for places on the team sheet, never mind the starting 11. Hagglund, Babouli, Bloom could be on the outside looking in here and you can add in a few TFC2/ academy players that keep getting mentioned pushing for places on this team and the standard of play should continue to rise. This is a very positive development and if the team can weather the injury issues through the homestand, the reinforcements listed in the posted lineup could deliver better final results than last season.

:scarf:

(I recognize predicting continued results for the homestand is somewhat risky in the afterglow of smashing the NASL strength DCU - but can't ignore that the next 3 games is a great opportunity to do just that)

Detroit_TFC
07-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Very promising if that line up is available for the last month and a half of the season.

Abou Sky
07-25-2016, 10:23 AM

I watched from home, was Zavaleta quite good? It's hard to evaluate defenders from TV.

Abou Sky
07-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Iceland adopted the chant from the Scots, and it's likely we have adopted it from the Scots as well. Pasta's origins may not be Italian, but it is so synonymous with Italy it might as well be.

I've been told Eastern Europe, but I don't really know.

Ultra & Proud
07-25-2016, 10:26 AM
I watched from home, was Zavaleta quite good? It's hard to evaluate defenders from TV.

Hardly noticed him out there and that's always a good thing when talking about defenders.

jloome
07-25-2016, 11:16 AM

I'd say you have to play Cheyrou as the number 6, not Bradley. Cheyrou can't cover enough ground to be a two-way mid, which you need in that spot. As an anchor, he can float in front of the backline and doesn't really have to play both ways.

trane
07-25-2016, 01:54 PM

I do not mean to be a prick, people who are down on Altidore, do not really appreciate what a CF like him should be providing the team. He makes out offense better even when he is not scoring.

notthesun
07-25-2016, 02:04 PM
I'd say you have to play Cheyrou as the number 6, not Bradley. Cheyrou can't cover enough ground to be a two-way mid, which you need in that spot. As an anchor, he can float in front of the backline and doesn't really have to play both ways.

It will be interesting to see how Vanney approaches the midfield once Bradley and Johnson return. Cheyrou will need to be given rest at times, we want him fresh and healthy by the time the playoffs roll around. But largely Vanney will either need to figure out a way to play all three of Cheyrou, Johnson, and Bradley at once, or someone will have to be coming off the bench. I think Vanney wants to play a 2 striker formation, which I'd prefer seeing myself. All I know is there's no way you can move Cheyrou to the bench for an extended run of games, he's been excellent since his return from injury, at this point probably my vote for MVP of the season excluding Seba.

We could do a 4-4-2 diamond, with Cheyrou as the #6 and Bradley as the #10. Kinda messes with Bradley's rhythm, having played him as a #6 all season, but it seems the option that gets the most talent on the field in a way that makes sense... I really dislike playing Giovinco as a winger.

Abou Sky
07-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Hardly noticed him out there and that's always a good thing when talking about defenders.

Is he better than Williams and Hagglund? Isn't he quite young as well?

I'm very happy with Moor, VERY happy with Morrow and Beitashour is amazing.

If Zavaleta makes 4 (even eventually) I am a very happy camper.

MightyDM
07-25-2016, 04:19 PM
I like morgan over morrow, oso on the pitch and likely moving Bradley to 10. But cheyrou has to get some rest as well. Morrow has been underwhelming this year, goals aside, and Morgan was playing well pre injury.

Ultra & Proud
07-25-2016, 04:26 PM
I like morgan over morrow, oso on the pitch and likely moving Bradley to 10. But cheyrou has to get some rest as well. Morrow has been underwhelming this year, goals aside, and Morgan was playing well pre injury.
He was playing better but still got wrong sided a lot for a defender.

Ultra & Proud
07-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Is he better than Williams and Hagglund? Isn't he quite young as well?

Looks more composed and makes less errors than Williams and Hagglund but actually all of them have looked good this year when they've been in.

MightyDM
07-25-2016, 08:55 PM
He was playing better but still got wrong sided a lot for a defender.

He actually should be the wing back in a 3-5-2. Very effective.

Leedsoronto
07-26-2016, 07:34 AM
When Rickets came on, he was energised and he made Hamilton look pedestrian like. Attempts on goal then moments later making a tackle in front of our own net, I'm exited to see more of this guy !!

pawlukj
07-26-2016, 01:41 PM
Manchester City played a Polish team Lech Poznan ( Lewandowski's former polish side), and at the Champions league game the Poznan players grab each other over the shoulders, back facing the pitch, nad jump up and down, commentator's quoted it for doing the "Poznan", and some English sides and sides around the world copied, and called it "the poznan". truth of the matter is, it's from a different city, Krakow, as Poznan is new team , but it is what it is..

paul-collins
07-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Manchester City played a Polish team Lech Poznan ( Lewandowski's former polish side), and at the Champions league game the Poznan players grab each other over the shoulders, back facing the pitch, nad jump up and down, commentator's quoted it for doing the "Poznan", and some English sides and sides around the world copied, and called it "the poznan". truth of the matter is, it's from a different city, Krakow, as Poznan is new team , but it is what it is..
I was thinking along the same lines.

Let them call it the Iceland Clap.

If it means more people do it, great. If it means more fans on TV recognize it, great.

The people who dismiss it as "copycat" will dismiss *whatever* happens in TFC/MLS. Thing is, they already know it's been done before. They're just looking for the easy putdown.

Just keep leading the clap, we'll keep following, and growing the fan participation element of the game.

mistercorporate
07-27-2016, 09:11 AM
I was thinking along the same lines.

Let them call it the Iceland Clap.

If it means more people do it, great. If it means more fans on TV recognize it, great.

The people who dismiss it as "copycat" will dismiss *whatever* happens in TFC/MLS. Thing is, they already know it's been done before. They're just looking for the easy putdown.

Just keep leading the clap, we'll keep following, and growing the fan participation element of the game.

I loved it when they sang "oh when the reds go marching in..." last match, they should do that 10 mins before half time to inspire the team or when everyone gets back into their seats in the 2nd half. It would sound amazing with the East stands involved.

Pint
07-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Usually "Oh when the Reds" is at kickoff of each half.

mistercorporate
07-27-2016, 09:25 AM
Usually "Oh when the Reds" is at kickoff of each half.

Yeah but the stadium usually isnt full right at kickoff.

Pint
07-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Yeah but the stadium usually isnt full right at kickoff.

This is very true but would be true for anything done in the first 10 min of each half. I've always thought that some of the call and answer or "battles" would bring in more people from outside the SS

TFC Tifoso
07-27-2016, 10:23 AM
I do not mean to be a prick, people who are down on Altidore, do not really appreciate what a CF like him should be providing the team. He makes out offense better even when he is not scoring.

I think the argument with Altidore (for me at least) is value of play from a DP, not quality of play.

Altidore's CF play is good.....but pair it with 12-15 goals and we'd truly get fair value from him.
Paying 5M a year for hold up play is probably a bit much.

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2016, 11:12 AM
I think the argument with Altidore (for me at least) is value of play from a DP, not quality of play.

Altidore's CF play is good.....but pair it with 12-15 goals and we'd truly get fair value from him.
Paying 5M a year for hold up play is probably a bit much.
It isn't if you win silverware. Real silverware, not like the bucket we get if we beat Columbus this weekend either.

TFC Tifoso
07-27-2016, 12:51 PM
It isn't if you win silverware. Real silverware, not like the bucket we get if we beat Columbus this weekend either.

really? so if Altidore does not score a goal this year, makes 5 or so assists, but holds up play for Giovinco and others, would that be 5M well spent? If we want JUST hold up play, Alan Gordon could probably do a similar job for a lot cheaper, for example.

to me there's also a correlation to Altodore scoring and success for TFC if the goal is MLS Cup....

Fort York Redcoat
07-27-2016, 01:35 PM
really? so if Altidore does not score a goal this year, makes 5 or so assists, but holds up play for Giovinco and others, would that be 5M well spent? If we want JUST hold up play, Alan Gordon could probably do a similar job for a lot cheaper, for example.

to me there's also a correlation to Altodore scoring and success for TFC if the goal is MLS Cup....

Alan Gordon would not come back here.

TFC Tifoso
07-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Alan Gordon would not come back here.

yes I get that....point being, if people are satisfied with just hold up play from a CF, imo we don't need to spend 5M/year for it......

at this point, to me, Altidore is poor value for his salary, regardless of what he offers in hold up play.

Fort York Redcoat
07-27-2016, 01:42 PM
yes I get that....point being, if people are satisfied with just hold up play from a CF, imo we don't need to spend 5M/year for it......

at this point, to me, Altidore is poor value for his salary, regardless of what he offers in hold up play.

Preferably someone that hasn't hated Toronto and gets more minutes than Alan Gordon.

TFC Tifoso
07-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Preferably someone that hasn't hated Toronto and gets more minutes than Alan Gordon.

Can Jacob Peterson play CF?? g:D

Ultra & Proud
07-27-2016, 02:16 PM

Altidore does more than just be a hold up man. He is often deep in the midfield and is usually involved in all the link up play. He draws defenders away from the area and can assist. Gordon and cheapo target men do not do this. They usually draw defenders into the box rather than away from it and we aren't exactly good at the aerial game as is. Bottom line, our whole attack only works well with him in the line up. Until we turn over the roster, we need him for what he brings and to make Giovinco successful. For me, his cost is $457K. The extra $4M I am not paying so I don't worry about rating DP players usefulness on cost as for me they cost the same. I am more concerned about cost of players for guys in the $300-400K range because it's those contracts that cripple rosters. Those guys better make a difference or it's a waste of cap space.

TFC Tifoso
07-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Altidore does more than just be a hold up man. He is often deep in the midfield and is usually involved in all the link up play. He draws defenders away from the area and can assist. Gordon and cheapo target men do not do this. They usually draw defenders into the box rather than away from it and we aren't exactly good at the aerial game as is. Bottom line, our whole attack only works well with him in the line up. Until we turn over the roster, we need him for what he brings and to make Giovinco successful. For me, his cost is $457K. The extra $4M I am not paying so I don't worry about rating DP players usefulness on cost as for me they cost the same. I am more concerned about cost of players for guys in the $300-400K range because it's those contracts that cripple rosters. Those guys better make a difference or it's a waste of cap space.

Ok well you make a good case.....
I do totally agree with the fact that our whole attack is most effective when he's playing, though not with the point that he's "often" deep in the midfield.
He was last game because for some reason he seemed to be playing the top of the diamond spot, but I don't find him tracking back on the regular.
Also, I don't think he draws players away from the area per se......he draws them away from Giovinco.
Look it, he had an incredible strike rate last year, so maybe this year he going through injuries and a bit of the yips.
If he can stay healthy and even get 6 or 7 before the end of the year, I'd be satisfied for this year, all things considering.

I only make the point of his salary, because I'm looking at it from the FO perspective.
If they feel they are not getting enough out of him, I dont' want it to influence future decisions.
But good point on the 300-400K guys.....ya a couple of those go the wrong way and your team is totally up the creek....