PDA

View Full Version : Knight: What a week for Canadian soccer!

denime
07-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Knight: What a week for Canadian soccer!

A national championship, a successful MLS All-Star Game, talk of expansion, new big-name ownership – this was a dizzying week for Canadian soccer.
And if either the Vancouver Whitecaps or Montreal Impact find themselves included in the just-announced MLS expansion for 2011, this will certainly be remembered as the week their promotion to the big-time became inevitable.
MLS commissioner Don Garber was in Toronto for several days, and quite a bit happened. He attended last Tuesday's Voyageurs Cup final between Toronto FC and the Impact, and later told Fan590 soccer grump Bob McCown it was one of the most exciting live sporting events he had ever seen. Mind you, he also complimented McCown on his soccer knowledge, so you can take all this with how ever big a bag of rock salt you prefer.
But Garber's true appreciation came with the expansion announcement. Two more teams will be added to upper North America's premier soccer loop in time for the kickoff of the 2011 season. With Montreal upsetting Toronto to claim the cup – and a place in the CONCACAF Champions League – and Vancouver announcing two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash as the new co-owner and public face of the Whitecaps – all right under Garber's nose – Canadian soccer futures closed sharply higher on the week, in extremely active trading.
Of course, we're not all home and dry yet. MLS remains an American loop, and Stateside TV deals are traditionally not well served by tossing new franchises into the great white north. Portland and St. Louis are both high on the list, with solid credentials and plenty of influential friends.

Read more (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080727.WBsoccerblog20080727115848/WBStory/WBsoccerblog)

James17930
07-28-2008, 06:26 AM
I think we should stop talking about relocating Columbus. They're actually doing pretty good this year attendance wise, and historically they've always been up there as well.

With the team doing good this year, and the stage installation at Crew Stadium having the unexpected benefit of bringing all the supporters together, I think Columbus is actually going to start getting much much better.

Although, of course, they need a re-branding ASAP. Something like Columbus Athletic.

koryo
07-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Although, of course, they need a re-branding ASAP. Something like Columbus Athletic.

Columbus Crewe Alex. Problem solved.

James17930
07-28-2008, 07:27 AM
. . . . .

I don't get it.

ACSertL
07-28-2008, 07:39 AM

:lol: I like!

James...Crewe Alexandra is a team in the English Football's League One.

James17930
07-28-2008, 07:42 AM
:lol: I like!

James...Crewe Alexandra is a team in the English Football's League One.

Ah -- thanks :D

mr k
07-28-2008, 09:51 AM
coumbus has been inflating their attendance figures as reported widely; so, you can't believe their numbers. Plus, a sizeable portion in attendance have received free tix.

deltox
07-28-2008, 11:19 AM
you think columbus is going good for attendance this yr?

http://64.13.252.151/forums/picture.php?albumid=99&pictureid=559

yes thats 4,400 to a home game.

James17930
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
you think columbus is going good for attendance this yr?

http://64.13.252.151/forums/picture.php?albumid=99&pictureid=559

yes thats 4,400 to a home game.

True, but there were some weather issues there. The last game against Chicago wasn't too bad.

Give them a good play-off run this year and next year you'll see a huge difference.

Chevy
07-28-2008, 12:36 PM

More like Columbus Klu....