PDA

View Full Version : Watching TFC without Bell or Rogers TV?

Joe Kool
06-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Has anyone had any luck with finding a way to watch TFC at home with a decent quality stream without having a Bell or Rogers TV service? Does MLS Live blackout TFC games? I am looking at getting rid of my Bell TV service since me and the family never watch it with the exception of the sports stations so just trying to see if anyone has solutions out there. I only watch primarily Raptors and TFC. The rest of my cable package is useless to me. I figured a few of you on here have been down this road before so looking for anyone with experience in this area to give their advice. Maybe in the end the solution is to keep my TV service but I figure it never hurts to ask the fine folks on this forum. Thanks in advance :)

Pint
06-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Sportsnet has the stream only package out but its still a little pricey at $25 a month.

Yohan
06-27-2016, 11:01 AM
MLS Live does black out some TFC games, but mainly those broadcasted nationally.
I used to use VPN to get around blackouts. MLS Live subscription is on sale right now (and worth it if you are interested in watching other non TFC MLS games)

Or just look for a dodgey stream, which is a hit and miss for quality, but generally better choice if you prefer European commentators.

Red CB Toronto
06-27-2016, 11:25 AM
I use First Row Sports for my foorty streams.

Auzzy
06-27-2016, 01:13 PM
I've never had cable or satellite TV since TFC was founded, but I almost never miss a game as a result.

- Home games, I'm generally in the stadium.

- I've had MLS Live for a long time. Generally it's good. The exact blocking rules for TFC games have changed year to year, but many of the games are not blocked.

- I've occasionally used VPNs to get around MLS Live restrictions (either due to blocking for Canada/Toronto; or when I'm on vacation in Europe). Unblock-Us & TunnelBear work well, and there are others, including Chrome plugins.

- Very occasionally I've used other streaming sites (with an ad blocker) for TFC games, but I've mostly been able to avoid that. The quality just isn't as good.

- Sometimes I've gone to watch away games in a pub.

Mateo1985
06-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Is there such a thing as a stream website that doesn't riddle your computer with ads and viruses?

I normally use streamhunter or stream2watch but I have to close like 27 ads before I can access the stream but even then it's not that good.

How much does having MLS live and VPN work normally costs when put together?

mistercorporate
06-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Simple. Subscribe to MLS Live and use the "Hide my ip" extension on Google Chrome to watch it. Easy peasy, no viruses no stress, good stream quality.

Mateo1985
06-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Simple. Subscribe to MLS Live and use the "Hide my ip" extension on Google Chrome to watch it. Easy peasy, no viruses no stress, good stream quality.

Really? It works just like that? Didn't know I can just hide my IP like that. It's awesome. I will definitely do it for next season then. Or the second half of this season if they got a discount going or something

mistercorporate
06-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Really? It works just like that? Didn't know I can just hide my IP like that. It's awesome. I will definitely do it for next season then. Or the second half of this season if they got a discount going or something

Yeah, that simple, just have to choose between the dozen or so IP addresses available till you find the one that works. Takes like 20 seconds till you find one in the drop down menu of the extension on your menu bar.

stegosaurus
06-27-2016, 04:45 PM
I use MLS Live. Quality is great, and TFC games are only blacked out when broadcast nationally. I use a VPN to get around the blackouts (Private Internet Access, which I pay about $30/year for); you can use a browser extension to do the same thing, but you have to be careful as some of them contain malware or worse.

As for higher quality streams, you can check reddit.com/soccerstreams around kick-off.

jazzy
06-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Zenmate , VPN (the free version) works well as a add-on on browsers MLS Live . but some games are blocked both in the US and Canada EG some New York games because of ESPN and TSN .

Ossington Mental Youth
06-27-2016, 09:07 PM
MLS live and unblock us although my dude did put me on to a pay to stream site which is cheap as hell and I'll be using going forward

troy1982
06-27-2016, 10:13 PM
MLS Live and the Hola chrome extension to change your country.

Joe Kool
06-28-2016, 09:44 AM
Thanks everyone for their input to my original post. You have been helpful.

C.Ronaldo
06-28-2016, 10:28 AM
There a cheaper way than using a VPN.

Download KODI (former xbmc)
download the MLS live addon within Kodi
Sign in with your MLS live account
Voila, everything will work

You can also install this on those little android boxes/sticks and have easy access through your TV

currystain37
06-28-2016, 04:34 PM
I mainly use reddit.com/r/soccerstreams for my stream needs, but if you are willing to pay then I would use MLS Live as the streams are more reliable.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-28-2016, 04:52 PM

You can also install this on those little android boxes/sticks and have easy access through your TV

very true, forgot about this. Kodi in general is a good look

Auzzy
06-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone for their input to my original post. You have been helpful.

Yes, this thread is very helpful for many of us! I've learned lots as well.

BTW I've never had to pay for a VPN to use MLS Live. The location is checked as the stream starts. I connect my VPN, log into MLS Live, start the stream, then once it's running reliably, I disconnect the VPN. I've never gone over the free monthly allotment of TunnelBear for example. (And if you tweet about TunnelBear, you get an extra free 1GB per month.) BTW I hope nobody at MLS Live reads this thread, and adjusts their service & blocking accordingly. :hide: Considering the low viewership of both MLS Live, and MLS on TV, it's probably not worth the hassle for them anyway.

stegosaurus
06-28-2016, 08:11 PM

Unless you've installed something else to compensate, Kodi is using your default IP and will not get you around blackouts. You can also use Chromecast to cast MLS Live to your TV, for what it's worth.

MLS Live also had a deal at the start of the season where it was available for the same price CAD/USD, but I assume that has passed.

stegosaurus
06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Yes, this thread is very helpful for many of us! I've learned lots as well.

BTW I've never had to pay for a VPN to use MLS Live. The location is checked as the stream starts. I connect my VPN, log into MLS Live, start the stream, then once it's running reliably, I disconnect the VPN. I've never gone over the free monthly allotment of TunnelBear for example. (And if you tweet about TunnelBear, you get an extra free 1GB per month.) BTW I hope nobody at MLS Live reads this thread, and adjusts their service & blocking accordingly. :hide: Considering the low viewership of both MLS Live, and MLS on TV, it's probably not worth the hassle for them anyway.

You don't have to pay for one. I pay for one for other reasons, so I use it for MLS Live as well. Even when casting to the TV, it just checks initially to see whether you fall into the blackout region or not, but once it's playing you're fine to disconnect/etc.

bones
06-29-2016, 01:25 PM

+1 to this. Kodi is solid and there are so many decent quality free streams out there it makes it so easy to watch TFC and every other sporting event on the planet a possibility.

Bones...

akoto
06-29-2016, 01:41 PM
cricfree.tv is pretty reliable as well. This is live streams of most sport stations worldwide.

C.Ronaldo
06-29-2016, 03:01 PM
Unless you've installed something else to compensate, Kodi is using your default IP and will not get you around blackouts. You can also use Chromecast to cast MLS Live to your TV, for what it's worth.

MLS Live also had a deal at the start of the season where it was available for the same price CAD/USD, but I assume that has passed.

i haven't installed anything, and it works for all home games. no idea why it works, but Ive done this on friends android boxes too.

stegosaurus
06-29-2016, 03:08 PM
i haven't installed anything, and it works for all home games. no idea why it works, but Ive done this on friends android boxes too.

Odd. I got blackouts unless I was using a VPN on Kodi. The mysteries of the internet!

Sonny Cheeba
06-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Kodi all day by way of the following addons, sometimes you need to do some searching to find a good quality stream between them:

Vidtime
Castaway
ProSports - add subreddit soccerstreams
ZemTV

Also, SkySports show MLS matches. I watched last saturday's match on a SkySports 3 stream.

Kaz
06-29-2016, 05:14 PM
With MLS live does anyone know how often Sportsnet games are national broadcasts? are they most likely to be watchable on MLS Live .. live.

Auzzy
06-29-2016, 05:50 PM
With MLS live does anyone know how often Sportsnet games are national broadcasts? are they most likely to be watchable on MLS Live .. live.

I can't remember any Sportsnet & related games ever being blocked on MLS Live, not when I tried to watch them.

TSN games are blocked. TSN 4 etc. sometimes, that seems to change from year to year (and even within one season).

Areathrasher
06-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Match
Blackout

Sunday, Mar 6 - 1:30 PM ET vs NY Red Bulls
Canada: Watch on TSN/RDS

Sunday, Mar 13 - 5:00 PM ET vs NYCFC
No local blackout

Sunday, Mar 20 - 7:00 PM ET vs Sporting KC
No local blackout

Saturday, Apr 2 - 8:00 PM ET vs Colorado
No local blackout

Saturday, Apr 9 - 4:00 PM ET vs New England
No local blackout

Saturday, Apr 16 - 5:00 PM ET vs D.C. United
No local blackout

Saturday, Apr 23 - 4:00 PM ET vs Montreal

Sunday, May 1 - 3:30 PM ET vs Portland
Canada: Watch on RDS

Saturday, May 7 - 7:30 PM ET vs FC Dallas
Canada: Watch on TSN

Saturday, May 14 - 7:30 PM ET vs Vancouver

Wednesday, May 18 - 7:00 PM ET vs NYCFC

Saturday, May 21 - 7:30 PM ET vs Columbus
No local blackout

Saturday, May 28 - 7:00 PM ET vs NY Red Bulls
No local blackout

Saturday, Jun 18 - 7:30 PM ET vs LA Galaxy
No local blackout

Saturday, Jun 25 - 7:30 PM ET vs Orlando
No local blackout

Saturday, Jul 2 - 7:30 PM ET vs Seattle
No local blackout

Saturday, Jul 9 - 7:30 PM ET vs Chicago
No local blackout

Wednesday, Jul 13 - 7:30 PM ET vs Columbus

Saturday, Jul 16 - 10:30 PM ET vs San Jose
No local blackout

Saturday, Jul 23 - 7:30 PM ET vs D.C. United
No local blackout

Sunday, Jul 31 - 7:00 PM ET vs Columbus
No local blackout

Wednesday, Aug 3 - 7:00 PM ET vs Real Salt Lake

Saturday, Aug 6 - 7:30 PM ET vs New England
No local blackout

Saturday, Aug 13 - 9:00 PM ET vs Houston
No local blackout

Saturday, Aug 20 - 7:00 PM ET vs Philadelphia
No local blackout

Wednesday, Aug 24 - 7:30 PM ET vs Orlando

Saturday, Aug 27 - 7:30 PM ET vs Montreal

Saturday, Sep 10 - 8:30 PM ET vs Chicago
No local blackout

Sunday, Sep 18 - 7:00 PM ET vs NY Red Bulls
No local blackout

Saturday, Sep 24 - 5:00 PM ET vs Philadelphia
No local blackout

Wednesday, Sep 28 - 7:30 PM ET vs Orlando

Saturday, Oct 1 - 7:30 PM ET vs D.C. United

Sunday, Oct 16 - 5:00 PM ET vs Montreal

Sunday, Oct 23 - 4:00 PM ET vs Chicago

http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-live/blackout-policies/toronto

Mark in Ottawa
07-01-2016, 10:07 AM
http://www.fanslounge.tv/ works well with my adblocker in place for most sports related things I want to watch

Kaz
07-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks. That is what I thought. I can get TSN fairly easily on a low end package and then either add MLS live or Sportsnet as an add on.

Figure $35 a month and I can get all the games.

General Woolfe
07-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Is there such a thing as a stream website that doesn't riddle your computer with ads and viruses?

I normally use streamhunter or stream2watch but I have to close like 27 ads before I can access the stream but even then it's not that good.

How much does having MLS live and VPN work normally costs when put together?

Try Adblocker Plus

Mateo1985
07-03-2016, 12:25 AM
Try Adblocker Plus

Sweet. Thank you man