PDA

View Full Version : Does Giovinco shoot too much?

__wowza
06-22-2016, 02:15 PM
I know it's in our nature to be negative, and far be it from me to shit on one of the best players on our team, but it's something that a few of us have been saying for quite sometime. Gio's a hell of a playmaker with great vision but that vision is not being matched by anyone else on the team. Simply put.. he's able to read a game and play balls into space where his teammates should be, but aren't. I don't know if this is the reason he takes so many shots, or if he's opted to go the Dero route (ie: I don't trust the people around me to score so i'll do it myself).. but it's kind've worrying when you look at the numbers.

http://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2016/6/20/giovinco-shoots-too-much

Last match thread I used Altidore, how his presence up top normally draws defenders into opening up space, as an example of what would benefit our attack and the more I watch the more I stand by the claim. I'll use the clip of Endoh's goal (as it's already sectioned off in the article) to illustrate my point. You've got two defenders in front of Gio, one whose playing him and one whose positioned himself to block a shot. Unless anyone wants to make the argument that the defender put himself in a position to intercept a ball over the top while leaving loads of space behind him for two charging attackers (one of which is unmarked), it's pretty easy to see that the pressure on Seba opened up Endoh's run.

What's everyone else think? Does Gio shoot too much?
Do we trust anyone else to put them in the net?

Lennon
06-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Nobody else on this team is willing to take shots from the edge of the box.

This is why we need to bring back Jackson.

OgtheDim
06-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Yes, he does shoot too much. There are passes able to be made he avoids. He trusts Jozy to score. He doesn't really trust anybody else.

That having been said, both he and Villa are miles in front of other forwards in this league in terms of what they can do with the ball. They should be taking more shots because they can score from positions and in areas others can't. I watch Villa this season and think its like watching Seba last season - both don't trust their teammates to score cause they actually were not (with the exception of Altidore who Seba really does trust and gets him the ball when they are together). What is different to me this season is he has teammates getting into areas - Endoh and Baboulli in particular - where last year that wasn't happening.

This is a coaching issue.

C.Ronaldo
06-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Endoh does

And this is why I think Osario needs work on that aspect of his game

Still Kicking
06-22-2016, 03:12 PM
If he shoots too much, imho, it's because too many others shoot too little.

Brooker
06-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Well he hasn't broken as many car windows as DeRo. (God love him.)

Kaz
06-22-2016, 07:00 PM
He doesn't shoot too much. He scores too little this year.

Last year he had offensive support. We were stronger on the attack.. this year not nearly as much. We also are playing a very obvious give Gio the ball and hope for the best. So other teams cover him to death. He has so much pressure on him he is off just an inch in his shooting.

Gio is best when he is both providing and getting service... he isn't being given that much and he has very few to provide to. Jozy has the same issue.. if Gio is on the pitch the ball goes to him and then he sends it to Jozy.. which means marking becomes easy. Last year we had a fair number of goal scorers.

Basically it is the England vs Holland issue. Jozy gets service he scores he doesn't get service he doesn't.

Gio needs service and needs people to get service to. Jackson, Findley, Moore... all these people were attacking threats even if limp. This year we are playing defence first football and win by 1 strategies.

If we actually played all our home games like we played against Vancouver... we would have a few more wins under our belt. We wouldn't have to defend as hard and our young offense would have a chance to gel and learn a bit.

portu
06-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Seba has been waaaayyy too greedy this year, I only started really following in 2012 so I can't speak to a De Ro comparison, but to me it looks like he thinks he's the only one who can score. The man took two shots on Saturday from corner kicks.. he was taking the corners for gods sakes. I think he's pulled a bit of Bradley in that he's put himself above management because realistically he should be playing as a much more creative force in the team, which he hasn't been really unless he's creating for himself.

ag futbol
06-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Maybe a little - but I also think it's gotten to the point where the team defers too much. A few too many chances have been passed up from good positions in favour of finding Seba at all costs.

Ultimately if other guys can't make the score sheet it hurts giovinco's effectiveness.

Ivy
06-22-2016, 08:31 PM
I agree with everybody above. I think the best thing for everybody would be for TFC to get another Italian forward. Somebody Seba can bond with and trust.

Joe Kool
06-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Greg Vanney said in an interview once that he told Seba to take as many shots as possible each game. That may have something to do with it too. He does try to shoot most times when he has it when sometimes a pass is better. The other problem is everyone finding Seba all the time. Vanney has to get this worked out for the benefit of everyone.

mistercorporate
06-22-2016, 08:53 PM
I agree with everybody above. I think the best thing for everybody would be for TFC to get another Italian forward. Somebody Seba can bond with and trust.

I just jizzed my pants. That would be awesome and makes a lot of sense. This league couldn't handle two Sebas (big hold-up Seba and our own little Seba). Vancouver goes all in with its Hispanic players and that does wonders for team chemistry, another Italian winger or forward would be awesome.

portu
06-22-2016, 10:29 PM
Greg Vanney said in an interview once that he told Seba to take as many shots as possible each game. That may have something to do with it too. He does try to shoot most times when he has it when sometimes a pass is better. The other problem is everyone finding Seba all the time. Vanney has to get this worked out for the benefit of everyone.
That was after the first Columbus game last year, and it's gotten out of hand. Pretty sure Vanney has never told Seba to take a shot off a corner kick. There's a certain amount of common sense that I think Seba has foregone.

Ivy
06-22-2016, 10:42 PM
#SebaOut?
:drinking:

__wowza
06-22-2016, 10:56 PM
#SebaOut?
:drinking:

god no. everyones been level headed so far.

mistercorporate
06-23-2016, 04:39 AM
#fireWholeroster #Rebuild2016 #MLSEOutDairyQueenIn

Derko
06-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Endoh does

And this is why I think Osario needs work on that aspect of his game

Osorio needs to be benched for a while period, He has no confidence to shoot. Does Seba shoot too much, NO

ensco
06-23-2016, 05:55 AM
That article makes an interesting case that Seba shoots from distance too much.

Looks like a valid analysis.

C.Ronaldo
06-23-2016, 09:21 AM
i think arrogance has gotten a bit in the way.

I know he can curl it off a corner kick, but do that try to score makes me think he believes MLS Defence is so weak they would let that in

shwade
06-23-2016, 10:26 AM
He doesn't trust his teammates plain and simple. When the options are Lovitz, Chapman, Osorio then the outcome seems bleak. Oso always gets the ball lost in his feet in the 6 yard box, Babouli hopefully will start hitting the target and hell the one guy he would pass to (Altidore) couldn't even put them away.
Add to that he's probably disappointed he hasn't been netting them like last year so he wants to get back in the highlight reel.

C.Ronaldo
06-23-2016, 10:27 AM
He doesn't trust his teammates plain and simple. When the options are Lovitz, Chapman, Osorio then the outcome seems bleak. Oso always gets the ball lost in his feet in the 6 yard box, Babouli hopefully will start hitting the target and hell the one guy he would pass to (Altidore) couldn't even put them away.
Add to that he's probably disappointed he hasn't been netting them like last year so he wants to get back in the highlight reel.

Id rather gio shoot than seen Osario bobble another ball in the box, just FREAKN TOE PUNT IT!

Richard
06-23-2016, 10:28 AM
i think arrogance has gotten a bit in the way.

I know he can curl it off a corner kick, but do that try to score makes me think he believes MLS Defence is so weak they would let that in

Hey Beckham did it once in this league so why not him lol.

ryan
06-23-2016, 10:40 AM
He shoots to much yes, but therein lies the problem (with MLS as a whole)

He could lay a pass into his teammates, but how often do they do anything with the ball? There's a massive skill gap and he likely feels the odds are just as good, if not greater, for him to take a low percentage shot than to expect his teammates to make any useful play on his pass attempt.

MLS has a middle class problem, as in, it barely has one. You have high end skill players in Giovinco who will try difficult plays to his teammates, but they will fail 99/100 times. There's a disconnect between them because of that skill gap and part of our problem. They don't think the same or have the ability to do what the other wants. Gio could make a nice pass to someone, but if they aren't even reading it, one wrong step and they won't even be able to do anything. This has been seen many times during Gio's time here.

I look at teams like Portland, NYRB, Vancouver who are finding success without having as as large skill gaps between their best and worst players on the field. Perhaps it's because they are more similar in ability, they are able to play better as a whole? Maybe they are all seeing the game play out the same? I don't know, but am getting that feeling.

I do like seeing Canadian blood out on the pitch and this new wave of promising talent, but they are just too slow to see what's going on when Giovinco's moving the ball. If the coaching staff demand he pass more, is he going to want to stay in Toronto Red? Watching his teammates waste so many opportunities and generating less offence himself?

It's not hard to see why Gio and Jozy are close, Jozy has the skill to play with him while no one else on this roster (save for MB4) really does.

TLDR: Yeah he probably does, but can we blame him all that much? Would he be happy if he didn't?

Richard
06-23-2016, 10:51 AM
^^ I think its much simpler than that actually, we have a serious lack of talent when it comes to attacking after Gio and Altidore, I think most teams have the same problem after their top 2-3 guys.

Realistically Giovinco only really has to pass the ball to other offensive players and maybe fullbacks, he rightly shouldn't be expecting things out of a bog standard MLS midfielder.

I think this team is crying out for an attacking midfielder, a playmaker would make everything tick so much better in the midfield and offensive third. I wouldn't be opposed to transferring Bradley for an AM, its much easier to find a dedicated DM.

Jpexxx
06-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Hey Beckham did it once in this league so why not him lol.

So did Henry.

Maybe Gio knows he will never be in that echelon of DP until he pops his Corner Kick Cherry!

jabbronies
06-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Giovinco doesn't shoot too much. He's our number 1 attacking option. He makes great shooting decisions, He should be shooting on net whenever he gets a chance.

Our other options are nowhere near as competent as he is.

shwade
06-23-2016, 01:00 PM
^^ I think its much simpler than that actually, we have a serious lack of talent when it comes to attacking after Gio and Altidore, I think most teams have the same problem after their top 2-3 guys.

Realistically Giovinco only really has to pass the ball to other offensive players and maybe fullbacks, he rightly shouldn't be expecting things out of a bog standard MLS midfielder.

I think this team is crying out for an attacking midfielder, a playmaker would make everything tick so much better in the midfield and offensive third. I wouldn't be opposed to transferring Bradley for an AM, its much easier to find a dedicated DM.

He shoots a lot vs too much.

ronzilla
06-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Giovinco doesn't shoot too much. He's our number 1 attacking option. He makes great shooting decisions, He should be shooting on net whenever he gets a chance.

Our other options are nowhere near as competent as he is.

This. 1000x.

Areathrasher
06-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Feels like some are making comments on this without reading the article.

Some salient points made and interesting data provided.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5352fb7ce4b0bf79997bfc81/t/576703a520099e2974126725/1466368963833/?format=750w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5352fb7ce4b0bf79997bfc81/t/5767043bbebafb3c28369a80/1466369087698/?format=750w
https://cdn-hw.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/fe5a.mp4

OgtheDim
06-23-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm trying to remember that one shot from the centre circle....

Anyways, would be nice if we saw such a graph for his shots last season.

Ultra & Proud
06-23-2016, 02:43 PM
He tried to catch the keeper of his line a few matches back. Can't remember which match but I watched it on TV so maybe away or the Wednesday I had to work late if it was a home match.

jabbronies
06-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Feels like some are making comments on this without reading the article.

Some salient points made and interesting data provided.

IMO this Data is incomplete. It only shows one side of the story - what happens when Seba shoots. It doesn't give you an idea of anything else like where were his teammates at the time of his shots. Were there better passing options that he didn't take or was his only option to shoot?

Sure he's taken shots from outside the box that statistically show his scoring chances from there are not great - but where did those shots go? Where they on target? did the goalie have to make a save? Would making a pass to a teammate given TFC a better chance on goal?

Let's see the data on - what happens when Seba passes.

That way we can compare and get a little bit of a better picture on whether or not Seba shoots too much.

I stick to my original statement - no one else is as competent as he is shooting on goal. If he feels his only chance is to shoot - is probably because that is the best chance in that situation.

not saying he's perfect, I'm sure there are times when he should've passed but didn't - but I bet they are few and far between.

Areathrasher
06-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Ask and ye shall receive

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Clqae0QVYAAwu3W.jpg

https://twitter.com/HighPressBlog/status/746078556652867585

Although from the looks of it, i'm not sure he/she filtered for open play shots.

Areathrasher
06-23-2016, 04:14 PM
IMO this Data is incomplete. It only shows one side of the story - what happens when Seba shoots. It doesn't give you an idea of anything else like where were his teammates at the time of his shots. Were there better passing options that he didn't take or was his only option to shoot?

Sure he's taken shots from outside the box that statistically show his scoring chances from there are not great - but where did those shots go? Where they on target? did the goalie have to make a save? Would making a pass to a teammate given TFC a better chance on goal?

That way we can compare and get a little bit of a better picture on whether or not Seba shoots too much.

I stick to my original statement - no one else is as competent as he is shooting on goal. If he feels his only chance is to shoot - is probably because that is the best chance in that situation.

not saying he's perfect, I'm sure there are times when he should've passed but didn't - but I bet they are few and far between.

It's in the article

Ultra & Proud
06-23-2016, 04:15 PM

He has passing options a lot of the time and when he makes that pass either Osorio takes 3 touches before firing it into a crew of defenders legs or the rest of the team passes it back to him, even if he isn't open. On the remainder of the occasions the rest of the team is moving about as much as we are in the stands watching him the about the same amount of bewilderment.

ronzilla
06-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Giovinco's all time stats:

30 Goals - 21 Assists in 47 Games.

Enough said.

jabbronies
06-24-2016, 09:36 AM
It's in the article

Those are not very comprehensive stats IMO.

The real question being asked here I think is "Does Seba shoot too much from 30 yards out"

We can see that shooting from distance, he isn't effective.
What about passing from that distance.

portu
06-24-2016, 12:33 PM

NYRB game to start the season

barticusz
06-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Does the rest of the team not shoot enough?

Derko
06-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Does the rest of the team not shoot enough?

YES and my CAPS LOCK is not on, the rest of the team, those whom are supposed to shoot do not.