PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MLS Superdraft

TorontoUnitedScout
07-27-2008, 09:23 PM
so what lays ahead for 2009.....3 1st rounders......do you guys see us trading up to get Scarborough native O'brian.....or do we give the some away for proven talent....possibly some defensive help.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
well if san jose come last we cant trade any further up :)

one thing mo does right is drafts! :)

TorontoUnitedScout
07-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Seattle will have the 1st pick..if im not mistaken.......hopefully work something out with Seattle give them a nice package including some MLS experience players.....to get O'brian....

MG42
07-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I think seattle gets the 1st pick...I remember talk in another thread about us possible only getting 2 of the 3 picks...again, wish BBtB was here to explain.

Oblio2
07-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I dont believe Seattle get the 1st pick.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-27-2008, 09:32 PM

you could be right......not sure though...could have something to do with them as an established team already.....

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Between Mo and the way the league works, I’d be very much surprised if we still had all three picks come the 2009 draft. I’d like to see Obrian White with TFC, but I have no idea who the other hot prospects are.

Smenge
07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't know anything about o'brian white, except that he has two surnames.......why the interest in him?

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know anything about o'brian white, except that he has two surnames.......why the interest in him?

He’s been a prolific scorer at the NCAA level and he’ll likely count as a domestic player (there’s been some debate about this in the past).

Smenge
07-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Is he considered a better prospect than Ibrahim?

The Oz
07-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm assuming O'Brian White is a striker from all the hype of him on here?

Also, we already have, Brennan, Velez, Marshall, Wynne, James, and Dunny (when he comes back) how much do depth do we need at the back end?

TorontoUnitedScout
07-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Ibrahim 14 pick overall in 2007 draft fcdallas....second youngest player ever drafted behing Freddy Adu.....generation adidas player who signed for 5 year deal $100,000......don't know much about his scoring ability....much of the hype seems to be on his comparison to Altidore...Raw Talent.......O'brian led NCAA in scoring with I believe 23-24 goals.....jr year....

Keegan
07-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Canadians who we could have picked with 1st rounders have already jumped to Europe.

Tosaint Ricketts is trialing I believe and Dejan Jakovic signed with Red Star Belgrade

RPB_Brantford_08
07-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Seattle as an expansion would get the first pick, if SJ finshes last TFC would pick second...TFC do not need 3 at rd picks and trading one for O Brian would be good for a lot of different reasons.:canada:

ChrisLav
07-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Plus with the 3 first round picks, assuming you take O Brian White with the first pick, you are probably picking non-Canadian born players with the remaining two picks.

Since they're first rounders you expect them to make the club. However, to do so you have to use international slots on them. It seems we're always at a shortage (why Mo keeps adding International slots), and these picks could have to be dealt soon after, if they can't contribute to the team immediately (ie. Phelan)

SilverSamurai
07-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Plus with the 3 first round picks, assuming you take O Brian White with the first pick, you are probably picking non-Canadian born players with the remaining two picks.

Since they're first rounders you expect them to make the club. However, to do so you have to use international slots on them. It seems we're always at a shortage (why Mo keeps adding International slots), and these picks could have to be dealt soon after, if they can't contribute to the team immediately (ie. Phelan)

I'm pretty sure White would count as a Canadian...

Miko
07-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Is O'Brian a Generation Adidas player? - last year I think all the GA players were chosen first because of the limited amount they count against the cap.

rocker
07-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Ibby is definitely a better prospect... Ibby turns 17 this month. White is 22.5 (23 this December).

James17930
07-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Seattle as an expansion would get the first pick, if SJ finshes last TFC would pick second...TFC do not need 3 at rd picks and trading one for O Brian would be good for a lot of different reasons.:canada:

Well, depends on who's available.

It's quite possible that Mo doesn't make up his mind about what to do until after next year's Combine.

Oldtimer
07-28-2008, 08:02 AM
White is a very skilled Canadian who would be a great up-and-coming asset to the team. There was some interest in him last draft season, but he opted to stay in school and finish his degree before embarking on a football career.

We have one advantage in that he would be domestic for us, and use a foreign slot for a U.S. team.

RealG-TFC
07-28-2008, 08:15 AM
It would be sick having to Ricketts on the team.

Wooster_TFC
07-28-2008, 08:18 AM
The real reason for the hype with White is assuming that he'll count as a domestic. If you look at our situation for the next several years, there's a reason that Mo has been trading for international spots for a long time. Any chance he has at getting a good domestic player he'll jump at, since we'll have to be relying on them more and more as the years go on.

Nuvinho
07-28-2008, 08:26 AM
What the will move San Jose's pick and either of Chicago's or our pick to Seattle to get the 1st overall pick to get White. We will probably draft 2 players in next year's draft.

Damien
07-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Seattle DOES get 1st pick. League expansion teams always do. TFC drafted Edu first overall. And this year San Jose traded the 1st pick away to KC.

The Oz
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Seattle DOES get 1st pick. League expansion teams always do. TFC drafted Edu first overall. And this year San Jose traded the 1st pick away to KC.

Didn't they trade it to us for Ronnie?

noochie
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I will guarantee that we do NOT pick three times in the first round. One of those picks will be dealt to either trade up or bring in another player. I think that if TFC are serious about getting White, they will swap first rounders with Seattle in exchange for an experienced MLS player like Dunny or Marshall who would be invaluable on an expansion clubs side.

Billy the kid
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Not to overrely on stats but these are his numbers for the year ending 2007.

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/pdf/rankings

23 goals in 24 games and 2.21 points per game......that's pretty ridiculous.

Broadview
07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

We traded ROB for their 2009 1st rounder. And an allocation. Maybe an international slot as well, but that I'm a little fuzzy on.

O'Brian White article from CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/01/11/obrian-hermann-trophy.html

He went to the same school as Julius James where it seems they just draw their names out of hats :)

Jack
07-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Trade all 3 to Houston for DeRo.

Broadview
07-28-2008, 04:03 PM
^^^I'm beginning to suspect you would like that man on our team :)

Jack
07-28-2008, 04:06 PM
^^^I'm beginning to suspect you would like that man on our team :)

Yeah, just slightly.

:p

ExiledRed
07-28-2008, 04:30 PM
OK , Seattle get the first pick,

but do they get an expansion draft? With a full squad already, why do they need one of those?

Keegan
07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
1st round picks are so overrated. Trade them for DeROOO

Look at our past first rounders hardly stars

Andrew Boyens, Maurice Edu and Julius James. All decent players but not stars.

Jack
07-28-2008, 07:03 PM
1st round picks are so overrated. Trade them for DeROOO

Look at our past first rounders hardly stars

Andrew Boyens, Maurice Edu and Julius James. All decent players but not stars.

That is all.

RPB_Brantford_08
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, depends on who's available.

It's quite possible that Mo doesn't make up his mind about what to do until after next year's Combine.

which is good, you don't want to rush into hasty decisions, when time is on your side.

Big Bruva
07-28-2008, 10:56 PM
O.B is a friend of mine and I have played against O.B enough times and scrimmaged with him and his creativity is very good.

I was actually taling to him today and he i jut tryna enjoy his last year of Uni

Is he considered a better prospect than Ibrahim?

professor
07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Is O'Brian a Generation Adidas player? - last year I think all the GA players were chosen first because of the limited amount they count against the cap.

NO - he's a senior now

GA = underclassmen, foregoing on completing degree, starting pro career

UConn coach Ray Reid makes damn sure NONE of his players go GA
Reid talked White out of the GA option

About GA players....
2008, 10 GA players
8 selected in 1st round, 2 in 2nd round

2007, 8 GA players
7 selected in 1st round, 1 in 2nd round

2006, 12 GA players
6 selected in 1st round, 5 in 2nd round, 1 not drafted (i think)

2005, 12 GA players
7 selected in 1st round, 4 in 2nd round, 1 in 3rd round

2004, 8 GA players
5 selected in 1st round, 2 in 2nd round 2, 1 in 4th round

The advantages for a team to draft a GA player is roster & salary cap exempt
The advantages for a player to go GA, a guaranteed multi year contract (larger than league min.) and an MLS based scholarship to complete the college education if the career tanks.

for those who have not seen O'Brien White play here's an opportunity
Fri. Oct. 3 West Virginia @ Connecticut 8:00 p.m. on Fox Soccer Channel

also,
White's mother lives in Malvern (Scarborough)
White's father lives in Connecticut, small town outside Storrs
White was born in Jamaica
His immigration status is uncertain - landed immigrant in Canada??? Green Card in the US??? He's clearly got options for both sides of the border

Tosaint Ricketts won't be in the draft, he informed UWGB he was not returning, he went to Europe for pro trials. He's on facebook

GA = Blind leading the Blind
MLS constructs the list, identify the players, negotiate the contract
MLS recruits NCAA coaches to nominate and assess players for GA
MLS also recruits other coaches, MLS, USL, PDL, USSF to contribute as well
GA list is very much a regional based initiative as no common core group of "people" assess, let alone identify or construct the actual "short list"

NCAA season runs Aug to Oct, playoffs in Nov, championship in Dec.
MLS season finishes in Oct, playoffs/championships in Nov.
GA list released in December

No real knowledge of how short list is finally developed, except that NCAA coaches have significant influence. Only a few embrace the GA concept (Sasha Cirovski @ MD :canada: ; Salcedo @ UCLA ; Cam Rast @ Santa Clara). Many top coaches refuse to participate Reid @ UConn; Adair @ Clemson; Bobby Clark @Notre Dame) but few have turned down an opportunity to coach at the MLS combine

Many participating coaches are assessing players they have never seen, regional limitations based on conference play; or referring players they would rather not play against in future years (which can be a positive for the MLS under the right circumstances). The GA list and the MLS draft list is an "olde boys network" thing

Bobo
07-29-2008, 12:33 AM

We traded ROB for their 2009 1st rounder. And an allocation. Maybe an international slot as well, but that I'm a little fuzzy on.

O'Brian White article from CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/01/11/obrian-hermann-trophy.html

He went to the same school as Julius James where it seems they just draw their names out of hats :)

Guys, Ronnie went to San Jose, not Seattle. :D

professor
07-29-2008, 12:56 PM
How many of you have watched NCAA games?
Here is a list of FSC Friday night games, 4 or 5 are on my must see list...

NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Coverage on Fox Soccer Channel
Day . Date ... Home ..... Visitor ....Kickoff (ET)
Fri. Aug. 29 Maryland @ UCLA 10:00 p.m. (This ought to be a good one
(Arron Chin, Gk, Jr, Maryland-he gets 1 chance to earn the starting shirt)
Fri. Sep. 5 Kentucky @ UCSB 11:00 p.m.
(Andy Proctor, F, Fr, UCSB)
Fri. Sep. 12 Washington @ Portland 11:00 p.m.
(Adam Lang, D, Jr, Wash) (Alex Elliott, F, Sr, Port)
Fri. Sep. 19 Creighton @ Stanford 11:00 p.m.
Fri. Sep. 26 Wake Forest @ Maryland 8:00 p.m. (ACC game)
Fri. Oct. 3 West Virginia @ Connecticut 8:00 p.m.
(O'Brien White, F,Sr, UConn - he needs to produce, he's 1 of the leaders)
Fri. Oct. 10 Louisville @ South Florida 8:00 p.m.
(John Jonke, Sr, D, Louisville)
Fri. Oct. 17 UCSB @ Cal Poly SLO 11:00 p.m.
Fri. Oct. 24 College of Charleston @ Furman 8:00 p.m.
(Branko Gavric, D, Jr, CoC) (Dane Roberts,M,So,Furman)
Fri. Oct. 31 Cincinnati @ St. John's 8:00 p.m.
Fri. Nov. 7 Navy @ Army 8:00 p.m.
Fri. Nov. 14 Brown @ Dartmouth 8:00 p.m.
(Dylan Sheehan,F,Sr,Brown)
Games & times subject to change.

Schools in red have Canadians on the roster who should see playing time
Chinn (MD) and White (UConn) should make the combine list

Caution!
We're in August Angst. This is the time of year when coaches really find out who is returning and who is not as players start reporting to schools this weekend. Many rosters could change

I'll update as and when I get info

greatwhitenorf
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Prof: What do you think of Jakovic signing with RS Belgrade? Big loss for us?

jloome
07-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Before anyone gets too excited about White, consider that if were truly hot shit, one of the Euro teams would've picked him up by now. Remember, Jarrod Smith scored prolifically in college as well. It's a BIIIIG step from NCAA to MLS. Just look at Xavier Balc, who was considered one of the top three players in US college his final year but can't even make the developmental roster and has seemingly disappeared (at least according to Google.)

professor
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Prof: What do you think of Jakovic signing with RS Belgrade? Big loss for us?

Great for Dejan, and a huge loss for UAB

In fairness, MG knew Dejan wasn’t going to last 4 seasons in the NCAA – almost though

Folks in Bloomington are still talking about his performance there last year, perhaps an explanation in itself as to why there was no return match this season …..lol

Dejan outgrew the NCAA, as a FR and So he was where he needed to be, up against bigger stronger and older players. He adjusted, he learned, he developed. It was time to move on last year, and that’s the best reason to go to NCAA, a good level to transition and prepare for the next step and then take it

Maybe Dejan’s a bit of a late bloomer, so its wise to look at what happened to Lombardo. He stuck to the CSA program, and did the TFC thing and perhaps he’s peaked and maybe even finished before he even got started. Sucks to be at York U which is pretty much the wrong side of the development curve

Now if Dejan continues to develop, he will be a great addition to our men’s NT but if he didn’t take this opportunity, and if he stuck to the CSA program and heaven forbid to TFC, then not so good for Dejan

In terms of player development, TFC have no credibility yet, and they don’t appear to be too concerned however, Dejan will hopefully be a better player down the road as a result of this opportunity

Time will tell

professor
07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Before anyone gets too excited about White, consider that if were truly hot shit, one of the Euro teams would've picked him up by now. Remember, Jarrod Smith scored prolifically in college as well. It's a BIIIIG step from NCAA to MLS. Just look at Xavier Balc, who was considered one of the top three players in US college his final year but can't even make the developmental roster and has seemingly disappeared (at least according to Google.)

Agree

and add in Jeff Gansalves (Rhode Island) & Riley O’Neill (Kentucky)

Jeff, was TFC’s 1st pick in the fourth round, going 40th overall in 2007 draft. He finished 2nd in scoring to Lapira (Remember him?)

Riley, TFC holds his rights, drafted by Colorado and then traded to TFC. He’s in Europe I think, playing in Germany was last I read/heard. He’s following the footprint established by Rob Friend – NCAA then Europe.
Regardless, the point is he produced, albeit not at OW’s pace, but he did so without many of the resources that OW had.

UConn and Ray Reid are a bit of a different breed
Few give Reid the respect he deserves
Excellent recruiter. Focusing on players who will contribute more in years 3 & 4, than 1 & 2. Typically relies heavily on JRs & SRs each season, SOs come of the bench and FR are there to learn (JJ & OW, were exception, lots of minutes as Fr.

Seasonal success at UConn is based on how well the players blend and gel rather than an established set of tactics or the technical philosophy of Reid.

Reid is very knowledgeable and would be an excellent scout at the pro level. UConn's success is based on the sum of the parts rather than individual player performances. Most UConn players generally look very good playing for UConn - when they play elsewhere, USL, PDL, NYTs, not so much

Julius James was an exception - contributed immensely from his freshman year, evolving into a dominant NCAA player. OW has a habit and reputation for drifting in and out of games.

O'Brian White, had a great 2007, a good 2006 and 2005 - lets see in 2008!

LucaGol
07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Why are we being bogged down by this North American notion that drafting players is a sure route to improve a team?

The football pool of players around the world is endless...just dump the losers we have now and bring some better players.

Who gives a rat's behind about the draft...what really has it ever produced for the MLS and the soccer world.

jloome
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Why are we being bogged down by this North American notion that drafting players is a sure route to improve a team?

The football pool of players around the world is endless...just dump the losers we have now and bring some better players.

Who gives a rat's behind about the draft...what really has it ever produced for the MLS and the soccer world.

Hold on there Luca, I didn't say it was entirely useless. I believe both Twellman and McBride came through the draft, so not every player is snagged early. I'm hoping in terms of his transition to pro, White has the speed and the mental acuity to make the jump; but, as you suggest, most of the time that doesn't happen.

professor
07-29-2008, 04:24 PM

MLS is a North American league

Familiarize yourself with these, MLS Roster Regulations (http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview)
(Allocations, Discovery Players, and developmental status? The ins and outs of MLS rosters are there).

Then add in the limitations of a league with a salary cap

TFC's resources don't appear to be global

Developing depth in the roster through the draft has worked rather well for the likes of the Revolution - take a look at the standings, and historics and see where they draft from and how many of thier picks are still with the club. Count how many picks Nicol has left at the table = ....

......NONE!

colman1860
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
It would be sick having to Ricketts on the team.
I dont know, I thought our legs looked tired enough;)

noochie
07-29-2008, 05:34 PM
OK , Seattle get the first pick,

but do they get an expansion draft? With a full squad already, why do they need one of those?

The whole squad will not be coming over. They will only be able to operate under league rules by signing players the the "new" club. This means that allocation order may apply if the league chooses to impose it (likely not).

They will still have an exapnsion draft for MLS next year. Any left over players not signed to the new MLS club from the old USL club will be entered into a dispersal draft for other USL teams to pick up.

As it stands, they have only actually signed 1 player from the USL version of the sounders.

professor
07-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Gus

Hermann is the Mac Hermann Trophy
Its soccer's (NCAA) version of the Heisman, one of the Jamaican guys from UConn (O'Brian White) won it last year. It’s decided by a committee of NCAA D1 coaches who are NSCAA members

Mike is on that committee this year and has submitted his candidates (he didn't include any Cdns) for the 2008 "watch" list. It should be released in mid August. He'll get a head's up before its released

and on the other matter, no, most of the others won't be attending St Louis this year. Seems many have other obligations, but Greenie and Stephen have already booked, I might be

check your gmail for ticket info

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-30-2008, 02:41 PM
3 2009 First round Picks EDU..and the rights to Andy Welsh

FOR

DERO!!!

getr DONE!

Reg_Sims
07-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Ten Seniors to Watch for the 2009 MLS SuperDraft

Marcus Tracy (http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/tracy_marcus00.html), Wake Forest, Forward - The top two forwards appear to be the cream of the crop at this point and are kinda similar. Which one you like depends on your taste; college production or hypothetical upside. I happen to really like Tracy as he’s a big game player for the big stage with massive upside in my opinion. He’s tall, strong, super fast and has really great touch. He’s the prototypical pro forward package, which is why MLS was so hot to sign him to a Generation adidas deal this year.
O’Brian White (http://uconnhuskies.com/sports/MSoccer/2007/Bios/White.html),:canada: Connecticut, Forward - Another player MLS actively sought to sign this year. Herman Trophy winner, NSCAA Player of the Year, and Soccer America Player of the Year with an astounding 23 goals in 2007. Same skill set as Tracy and he scored more goals in college, although in a slightly weaker conference. He might just be the slightest bit less valuable cause he’s a Jamaican International from Canada.

(SIGNED BY MLS - AND AWARDED TO COLORADO)
Bruno Guarda (http://smumustangs.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/guarda_bruno00.html), SMU, Midfield - The Ponies terrific two-way Brazilian midfielder, he’s a touch short but stocky and strong. Guarda is a gifted passer with terrific vision and anticipation, reads the game well in advance of the ball. MLS ready two years ago, but never a GA target due to citizenship. Already twice C-USA Player of the Year and twice an All-American.
(TRADED BY COLORADO TO FC DALLAS)

Alejandro Bedoya (http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/bedoya_alejandro00.html), Boston College, Midfield - After two years at Fairleigh Dickinson University Bedoya moved to Boston College and immediately nabbed the ACC Offensive Player of the Year award. Soccer American MVP, College Soccer News First Team All-American, First Team NSCAA All-American, and most recently a US U23 call up are also on his resume. A tremendously gifted midfielder with all the tools for the pro game.
Mike Grella (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22446&SPID=1833&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=158592&Q_SEASON=2005), Duke, Forward - Not as large and physically gifted as White and Tracy, but still scores a bunch of goals in the tough as nails ACC. Second Team All-American as a junior, smart and savvy goal scorer and a terrific soccer player. US U18 and U20.
Chris Clements (http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/clements_chris00.html), Tulsa, Defender - Tall and mobile with a terrific soccer mind, he has a reputation as a srtong reader of the game in the back for Tulsa. Third Team All-American and First Team C-USA. Out of the storied Dallas Texans club, Clements is also a former US U20.
Brad Ring (http://iuhoosiers.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/ring_brad00.html), Indiana, Midfield - Two years ago a MLS coach told me Ring was going to be special and that’s proving to be the case. Ring led Indiana in scoring out of the midfield this year and was a unanimous First Team Big Ten selection. College Soccer News Second Team All-American, NSCAA Second Team All-American, and Soccer American 2nd Team MVP.
Zack Simmons (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/simmons_zack00.html), Massachusetts, Goalkeeper - A former walk on who almost single handedly carried UMass to their first ever College Cup with 118 saves and a 0.79 GAA. UMBRO/Soccer News Net National Player of the Year, NSCAA Third Team All-American, Soccer American MVP, A-10 Tournament MVP, A-10 First-Team, and A-10 Men’s Soccer Student-Athlete of the Year.
Sam Cronin (http://wakeforestsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/cronin_sam00.html), Wake Forest, Midfield - A very smart soccer player who controls the middle of the park for Wake and dictates the pace of the game. Great vision, but less nifty on the ball than Guarda. Can win the ball, hold it, and disperse to danger positions. Second Team All-American, Soccer America MVP, and First Team All-ACC.
Calum Angus (http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/angus_calum00.html), St. Louis, Defender - A-10 Defensive Player of the Year, Second Team All-American, Third Team College Soccer News All-American. The British central defender does contribute a little on the offensive end with 6 goals through his first three seasons.

Jay P
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
love to have white on the back of a new 09 kit

Nuvinho
07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
1st round pick from Chicago, 1st round Toronto's pick, and Dunivant to Seattle for the 1st overall pick.

Draft 1st pick - Marcus Tracy
Draft 2nd pick - O'Brian White

This would be far fetched, but in Mo we trust!!!

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Actually....if SJ keeps the worst position in MLS its not farfetched to get both....One of the two are going to be top picks. We already have Ibbe as a long term project at striker. If SJ's pick turns into 2nd overall, would it be unheard of for us to trade two first rounds for the first overall? It would solve our striker problems long-term.

Tracy, White, Ibrahim, Barret and DP. We wouldn't take a huge cap hit and be able to invest in defence. I'm also assuming Cunny will be gone and Dichio will retire and become a coach and Jarrod Smith will be released.

akpatel47
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
O'Brian White is a Jamaican International??
Damn!!! I was hoping to see him suiting up for us sometime soon.

RealG-TFC
07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Is Tossaint Ricketts in the draft this year?

Nodoubtguy
07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Bruno Guarda (http://smumustangs.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/guarda_bruno00.html), SMU, Midfield - The Ponies terrific two-way Brazilian midfielder, he’s a touch short but stocky and strong. Guarda is a gifted passer with terrific vision and anticipation, reads the game well in advance of the ball. MLS ready two years ago, but never a GA target due to citizenship. Already twice C-USA Player of the Year and twice an All-American.

Can someone explain to me how this works??

greatwhitenorf
07-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Don't think White is completely exempt from playing for Canada someday. If he's suited up for Jamaica at one of the junior levels, we should still have the ability to draw him over to our senior program if he proves worthwhile.

We have San Jose's pick - which should turn out to be second overall - and that should be enough to secure White. Combine TFC and Chicago's picks and we are seriously armed to acquire some great young talent. Either by using each pick or by packaging the two picks plus an established player or two and we could be running away with two of the top three or four picks.

That would be deluxe and delightful and set up all kinds of interesting roster scenarios.

Reg_Sims
07-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg_Sims http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=113475#post113475)

Can someone explain to me how this works??

Guarda Is not going to College and gave up his remaining eligibiility. He signed a GA Contract, and thus in MLS was subjected to a weighted Lottery last week that Colorado won with low odds.
Dallas really wanted Guarda, and yesterday Colorado traded him to Dallas.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM

He should be, but he told his university he won't be returning and is trialing all over europe. Last time there was word of him trialing was in Sweden on the same team with Hemming (Hammarby I think). Its a shame because he has blinding speed and could be a nice threat down the wings for us in the later rounds. Another guy going into his senior year is Tally Hall. We will probably pick him up in the draft at some point.

Just TFC
07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Let's see. In the first round, we now have our own draft pick, San Jose's and Chicago's. But, we have to give away two picks. One to FC Dallas because of Ibrahim, and one for Guevara. So in reality, we'll only have ONE pick in the first round next year.
wow...
do we have any more that I should be aware of?

Nuvinho
07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Let's see. In the first round, we now have our own draft pick, San Jose's and Chicago's. But, we have to give away two picks. One to FC Dallas because of Ibrahim, and one for Guevara. So in reality, we'll only have ONE pick in the first round next year.
wow...
do we have any more that I should be aware of?

Its not a 1st round pick for Guevara. I don't think also its a 1st round pick for Ibbe.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Well it all depends on the amount Ibbe plays this year. If he plays 10 games this year they get our 1st in 2009 and the same for next year I think. He's played 3 games already with 14 left. He won't play 10 unless we can't get another striker. With Barrett and a signing it should clear that up. Guevara was probably more based on scoring statistics....which we can see he's not lighting up. It wil probably be 3rd and 4rth rounders

Also looking through the Canada player profile index....and knowing but forgetting there are other Canadians in the upcoming draft:

Masumi Turnbull, Daniel Revivo, Dominic Oppong and Brad Peetoom are the notables...but their are like 10 other guys in the NCAA system for graduation. Some of them may turn out to be something, but these are the names I'm more familiar with

jloome
07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
If we could get a guaranteed first-team starter in a tough position to fill adequately, such as centre half or striker, I'd give up all three in a heartbeat. Mo's approach has the whiff of machination to it, like this is designed to guarantee he can get White, who looks big and fast enough to be the real deal, even if he hasn't been picked up outside of school yet.

I think it's risky, although the one position that does seem to translate from NCAA up is striker (Nyarko, Twellman, McBride etc)

ChrisLav
07-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Ibee is also a 2010 pick. From the TFC News portion of the website.

06/13 ACQUIRED Abdus Ibrahim from FC Dallas in exchange for a conditional draft pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft.

jloome
07-30-2008, 05:51 PM
MLS is so backward. Do they really think the college draft is going to continue to be the prime source of players for this league when most pro football outfits overseas are recruiting kids in their pre-teens and sendingthem to exclusive soccer schools?

Gimme a break. There will be the odd exception to the rule, and I hope OBW is that exception for us. But most of these guys will go the way of the Balcs and Mike Zahers of the world and end up in USL or not playing pro. There are hundreds of soccer scouts combing the americas, like any other continent, and if people think they just happened to "miss" all of these NCAA players, they're nuts.

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 05:59 PM
I get where you're coming from jloome, but their are a lot of late blooming players, so its still a useful exercise at this point. While the draft is still hit and miss, you could say that about any north american league. Joey Graham, anyone? As long as their is a cap system this strategy will be in place, because it artificially keeps salaries down. By the time the draft comes around its usually players that have been in the USSF residency programs that do really well at the pro levels. If we can get Canada doing the same it will increase the talent pool. I think the draft will still work for the next 5-10 years

professor
07-30-2008, 06:12 PM
2009 SuperDraft
Friday January 16th,
in St Louis, @ the America's Centre

Have I got this close to being accurate?

Round 1 = 3 picks – TFC, San Jose’s and Chicago’s
Round 2 = TFC
Round 3 = TFC
Round 4 = 0 picks, traded to LA Galaxy for Harmse

Supplemental Draft (Teleconference)
Round 5 = 1 pick – TFC and DC United’s (rec’d for rights to Mike Zaher) 1 to LA Galaxy
Round 6 = 0 picks, traded to LA Galaxy for Ruiz (also 1 of 2 Round 5 picks**)
Round 7 = TFC
Round 8 = TFC
** Round 5 also known as Round 1 of the Supplemental Draft, a continuation of the SuperDraft
• LA Galaxy trade forward Carlos Ruiz to Toronto FC in exchange for a first and second round pick in the 2009 MLS Supplemental Draft
We concede a conditional pick to Chivas for Guevara in drafts 2009 and 2010
• our 2 expansion YIs which are now deemed to be international spots for this season expire at season’s end;
• At next season’s end the YI received in the Cancela trade expires;
• Our 2 additional American roster spots assigned for this season and next will be reviewed at the the end of next season too;
• We gained 1 international spot from New England in exchange for Pat Phelan

• Conditional 2010 draft pick to FC Dallas in exchange for Ibrahim

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Professor, do you know what we gave up for Guevara?

S_D
07-30-2008, 06:43 PM
digz,

It was posted on the old board so I can't get at it but it was some low level draft picks. Someone mentioned it was just so that Chivas could save a little face with their fans to say they got something out of it. Paul B. agreed with the statement. If I remember correctly it was a 3rd rounder or something like that.

Professor,

Thanks for your insight into the NCAA. Are you in the U.S.?

We never really hear news of the American prospects until the combine rolls around and we get tidbits here and there so the info you provide is great!

professor
07-30-2008, 07:15 PM

No
He's in Europe
He "left" UW-Green Bay

Can a MOD look at merging this thread with the thread in the "Toronto FC Forum", titled Plans for 2009 3 1st rounders (http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=3917) (http://64.13.252.151/forums/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=3917) 2 (http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=3917&page=2))

Perhaps a new title = SuperDraft 2009 - both threads are basically the same topic

professor
07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Can a MOD look at merging this thread with the thread in the "TFC/MLS News Forum", titled 2009 Mls Prospects (http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=4025)

Perhaps a new title = SuperDraft 2009 - both threads are basically the same topic

professor
07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
O'Brian White is a Jamaican International??
Damn!!! I was hoping to see him suiting up for us sometime soon.

in an email received today from a contact within the UConn soccer program, ....."I'm pretty sure OW travels on a Jamaican passport".....

OW is on the Hermann watch list for 2008!
a no brainer, this was a given

professor
07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
1st round pick from Chicago, 1st round Toronto's pick, and Dunivant to Seattle for the 1st overall pick.

Draft 1st pick - Marcus Tracy
Draft 2nd pick - O'Brian White

This would be far fetched, but in Mo we trust!!!

I'd take Tracy over White
better athlete, smarter player, more consistent,
plays in the toughest conference, ACC
Vidovich develops players and produces more MLS ready players than Reid
There's more Wake players in the MLS than UConn players

In 2006, Wake Forest played UConn at Storss (UConn)
I was at the game.
Marcus Tracy outplayed O'Brian White
MOTM = Julius James

My notes have it Wake, 1-0 over UConn
Brian Edwards didn't have much to do and Pat Phelan was a big reason why. IIRC, it was a very good game

professor
07-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Professor, do you know what we gave up for Guevara?

i think it was just the conditional

professor
07-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Professor,

Thanks for your insight into the NCAA. Are you in the U.S.?

I was

I completed my MEd in the US, and served as a graduate assistant soccer coach in exchange for tuition remission and a very modest salary and then another year as a volunter assistant coach while instructing at the college

I'm currently back in Ontario but once I submit my Ph.D thesis in Adult Education this fall, I'm back to the US. Starting in January I'm teaching at a State University and taking on the duties of an assistant men's coach with a guy I met while we were doing our USSF licenses

no more starving student and finally some good scratch

jloome
07-30-2008, 09:04 PM
I get where you're coming from jloome, but their are a lot of late blooming players, so its still a useful exercise at this point. While the draft is still hit and miss, you could say that about any north american league.

I think if you check the ratio in hockey, you'll find the US college ranks, while still a significnat contributor, aren't even close to junior and other extensions of amateur elite hockey.

MLS is doing the opposite, but eventually the strucutre will be in place -- through the natural necessity of competitive player development -- that is begins much younger, and we'll be in the same position as hockey in Canada and soccer everywhere else in the world. Market forces always tend to prevail.

rocker
07-30-2008, 09:04 PM
what's your thesis on?

DigzTFC!
07-30-2008, 09:13 PM
I think if you check the ratio in hockey, you'll find the US college ranks, while still a significnat contributor, aren't even close to junior and other extensions of amateur elite hockey.

MLS is doing the opposite, but eventually the strucutre will be in place -- through the natural necessity of competitive player development -- that is begins much younger, and we'll be in the same position as hockey in Canada and soccer everywhere else in the world. Market forces always tend to prevail.

I think you'll see more player developed by academies and then let them develop in NCAA for a couple years (as 2 years in academy means they own the players rights...for those who might not be familiar). Like NYRB and that player I can't remember, sorry (Mathew something?). Then reclaim them after a couple years and have them on the team. Drafted selection will cover areas without an academy and late bloomers. The MLS reserve league, as you know, plays 12 times so MLS sucks for development through playing time.

and yes, the best players, if they have an opportunity will leave to most prestige and amount of money

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Dont forget that ObW might not be a first pick, take a look at the draft this year.

professor
07-30-2008, 10:04 PM
what's your thesis on?

adults + mentoring + continuing ed programs

professor
07-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Teal Bunbury (Alex's son) is a Fr at the Univ of Akron
Forward, 6-2, 175, 2007 Parade All-American,
Prior Lake, Minnesota - St. Mary’s School - Akron - Member Canadian U-17 National Team.
Member Region II ODP team. Two-time NSCAA Youth All-American.
http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index_files/Page12120.htm
I predict he'll be a GA candidate after 2 years

Akron's freshman class ranked #5
http://www.collegesoccernews.com/
1. Maryland (ACC)
2. Wake Forest (ACC)
3. Indiana
4. North Carolina (ACC)
5. Akron
6. UC Santa Barbara
7. Virginia (ACC)
8. UCLA
9. Santa Clara
10. Duke (ACC)
11. Boston College (ACC)
12. Notre Dame
13. South Florida
14. South Carolina
15. St. John's
16. Creighton
17. Furman
18. SMU
19. Denver
20. California

professor
07-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Like NYRB and that player I can't remember, sorry (Mathew something?).

Matt Kassel

FYI & FWIW
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/04/red-bulls-pass.html

Big Bruva
07-30-2008, 10:44 PM
I dunno if O'B would play for Canada coz he is a proud Jamaican but always worth trying to convince him.

Don't think White is completely exempt from playing for Canada someday. If he's suited up for Jamaica at one of the junior levels, we should still have the ability to draw him over to our senior program if he proves worthwhile.

We have San Jose's pick - which should turn out to be second overall - and that should be enough to secure White. Combine TFC and Chicago's picks and we are seriously armed to acquire some great young talent. Either by using each pick or by packaging the two picks plus an established player or two and we could be running away with two of the top three or four picks.

That would be deluxe and delightful and set up all kinds of interesting roster scenarios.

werewolf
07-30-2008, 10:46 PM
how long has in been in Canada? I read he pretty much only went to high school here, is that true?

DigzTFC!
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd take Tracy over White
better athlete, smarter player, more consistent,
plays in the toughest conference, ACC
Vidovich develops players and produces more MLS ready players than Reid
There's more Wake players in the MLS than UConn players

Sorry to be late with this Professor, but doesn't Tracy have a serious injury history (I think its knee) already?

As for OBW eligibility, he's Jamaican for sure and won't don the red and white. His mom lives in Toronto so if he doesn't qualify as domestic he will at some point. As I've learned from every person that is slightly Jamaican, its Jamaica first and Canada in a distant second. I would expect to see Rohan Ricketts and Big Bruva cheering on Jamaica August 20th at BMO. Hell, there was a time when Ricketts thought Jamaica would win the Euro Championships hahahah

professor
07-31-2008, 07:38 PM
I dunno if O'B would play for Canada coz he is a proud Jamaican but always worth trying to convince him.

first, sorry if this post comes across as harsh, no disrespect is intended but Jamaica can keep him

He accomplished little as a youth international
Simoes doen't appear to be including him in the senior set-up
Particularly since Shelton, who is also an 85, has established himself within the 1st XI and is currently playing with Sheffield United. And then there is Rudy Austin, an 84, playing with Stoke City while older and experienced forwards wait for an opportunity from the bench

Naw, we don't need the reggae boys castoffs

We have enough of our own: Hall (86) Lombardo (87) O'Neill (85) and Jonke (85). They probably are all finished at the international level (maybe O'Neill is a late bloomer like Friend)

Our NT program has a few prospects at forward:
Will Johnson (87), playing pro in Europe;
Toussant Ricketts (87) currently trialing in Europe;
Marcus Haber (89) last I heard he was trialing with Leeds Utd this summer, past 2 years in the Netherlands;
Issey Nakajima-Farran (84) playing professonally in Denmark for a few years;
Ian Hume (83) playing pro in England

All are still very much involved in our NT set up

And OW is still playing NCAA

Here's another view of the same picture

Chad Barrett (an 85) turned 23 in April!
2 years at UCLA and goes Gen A. 82 MLS games with 18 goals
Barrett has played in a couple of USSF youth programs, was part of the USSF u23 program before being dropped; earned a Sr cap in a World Cup qualifier against Barbados in June 08

And another view but from the TFC roster:
Tyler Hemming is an 85; Edwards, Harmse, Smith and James are 84s;
Rosenlund, Edu and Wynne are 86s;
my point here is they have all stepped up to play at the pro level

OW's still playing NCAA because his coach talked him into it
He should have went Gen A, he could have completed his degree in off-seasons through the Gen A scholarship program

Rhytorically speaking, is he serious about playing pro football or not?

BTW, Marcus Tracy is an 86 and he too should have gone Gen A

But I'm classifying him, like many others, as a "late bloomer"
To me, he's all heart with no quit - but he plays smart
Let me share how a couple of MLS assistant coaches describe him, "Marvell Wynne as a F"
So ya he's no wizard with the ball, but every year is an improvement and
he's becoming a stronger player

DigzTFC

Yah, he has had knee issues but was relatively injury free last year

Wake Forest Career Stats
Year GP-GS Shots Goals Assists Points GWG
2005 5-0 4 0 0 0 0
2006 22-19 37 6 4 16 1
2007 26-21 51 11 9 31 3
Totals 53-40 92 17 13 47 4

ag futbol
07-31-2008, 09:25 PM
At this point, there is too much hype behind the draft and very little substance. The league has to go out and sign the players in advance in order to secure talent or hope they have someone who doesn't want to try their luck at europe if they don't declare their intentions. It will get better with a higher cap though.

Looking at this list...http://soccernet.espn.go.com/draft/mls/2008/index

Well that says it all. Not many of those guys are doing anything, which if you look at the past draft boards is a pretty common trend. Even the guys who are playing, nobody is really making me that angry that we gave up the #2 pick.

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2008, 01:05 PM
We have a number one now with the Barrett deal. That could be something if he turns out to play like Edu his first year. Ignoring his present year thus far.

gus
08-05-2008, 12:13 PM
PhD,

Thanks for the tix!!!!
Great seats but a lousy result.

If I wanted to attend the draft in January, how would I go about it?

I looked at your website - where did the Canadian boy go and why is your
roster so much smaller than other school's?

Could you please explain the Blackhawk thing.

Thanks again for the tickets.

professor
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
PhD,

Thanks for the tix!!!!
Great seats but a lousy result.

If I wanted to attend the draft in January, how would I go about it?

I looked at your website - where did the Canadian boy go and why is your
roster so much smaller than other school's?

Could you please explain the Blackhawk thing.

Thanks again for the tickets.

great timing, thanks for the call

Air Canada lost my luggage,
I packed the book that had all your info hence why I have yet to e-mail you
please gmail me ASAP

your son is registered in our camp next week; I've booked you in to the Holiday Inn
you need to confirm ASAP (address, phone, e-mail, cc, etc)

The SuperDraft is certainly far from Super = very boring, but just show up
last year they lured people in with free t-shirts
It's always on the Friday

no problem with the tickets too bad you wasted 90 minutes of your life
at BMO - but you were warned

and being labeled a blackhawk isn't a good thing,
google = helicopter parents

I'll explain the rest in an e-mail

professor
08-10-2008, 02:10 PM
*UPDATED

2009 SuperDraft
Friday January 16th, 2009

Round 2 = 1 pick - TFC
Round 3 = 2 picks - TFC and *FCD's (in exchange for Cunningham)

Round 5 = 2 picks – TFC and DC United’s (rec’d for rights to Mike Zaher)
Round 6 = TFC
Round 7 = TFC
Round 8 = TFC
• We concede a conditional pick to Chivas for Guevara in drafts 2009 and 2010
• our 2 expansion YIs which are now deemed to be international spots for this season expire at season’s end;
• Our 2 additional American roster spots assigned for this season and next will be reviewed at the the end of next season too;

DigzTFC!
08-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Was one of our third round picks traded for Guevara?

professor
08-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Was one of our third round picks traded for Guevara?

IIRC, it's a conditional pick
We'll have to wait for the season to end before we see the actual picks that remain with TFC

Nuvinho
08-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I'd say its a 3rd round pick for Guevara, but if we made the playoffs and/or he played a certain number of games and/or scored a certain number of goals, it moves to a 2nd round....just my opinion.

James Oliphant
08-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Here's what's in the GoTFC database (still offline at this moment)

Press Release

Toronto FC (http://localhost/index.php?name=News&catid=&topic=5) announced Wednesday the signing of midfielder Amado Guevara. In exchange for the right to sign the Honduran international, Toronto FC has traded future considerations in the 2009 and 2010 MLS (http://localhost/index.php?name=News&catid=&topic=7) SuperDraft to Chivas USA. As per team policy, financial details were not released.

professor
08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
First formal poll of the season is the NSCAA

NSCAA/adidas® National Rankings

NCAA Rankings Pre-Season Men
Division I Pre-Season Poll - August 12, 2008
Rank School Votes, Prev.Rank
1 Wake Forest University 200 1
2 Connecticut, University of 186 5
3 Notre Dame 166 6
4 Boston College 155 12
5 Santa Clara University 151 7
6 Creighton University 133 9
7 Indiana University 129 14
8 Maryland, University of 128 15
9 Ohio State University 118 2
10 Virginia Tech 112 3
11 Brown University 109 16
12 Akron, University of 95 23
13 Massachusetts, University of 83 4
14 UCLA 75 RV
15 West Virginia University 73 13
16 Illinois-Chicago, University of 71 10
17 Southern Methodist University 70 18
18 South Florida, University of 65 17
19 Saint Louis University 53 22
20 Northwestern University 46 21
21 Bradley University 41 10
21 UC Santa Barbara 41 8
23 Tulsa, University of 36 20
24 North Carolina, University of 28 NR
25 Furman University 20.5 RV
2007 Final Record and Ranking Shown

Also receiving votes: California 20, Louisville 19, New Mexico 18.5,
Old Dominion 18, Loyola (Md.) 11, South Carolina 11, Duke 8, Virginia 7, Harvard 3

http://www.nscaa.com/seniorRes.php?it=756

Gus
your top 20 isn't so far off

NSCAA's:
Indiana & Ohio are too high, Maryland to low
Notre Dame is not a #3 this season, top 10 not top 5
Cal Santa Barbara I think should be higher, sleeper
Ohio State will not be top 25 this year
CalPoly are top 20 and I think New Mexico will find a way to the top 20
What I've heard abut Indiana is not good, not top 25, but then it's Indiana

This season's celebrity name: John Mellancamp, Midfield, Indiana, a Sr.
Last Season's celebrity name: Stephen King, Midfield, Maryland.

professor
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
CSN is national poll number 2

CSN Pre-Season Top Thirty Rankings

1. Wake Forest
2. Connecticut
3. Maryland
4. Indiana
5. Santa Clara
6. Boston College
7. Creighton
8. Saint Louis
9. UC Santa Barbara
10. Brown
11. South Florida
12. SMU
13. California
14. UCLA
15. Notre Dame
16. Northwestern
17. UIC
18. Akron
19. New Mexico
20. Furman
21. Louisville
22. Massachusetts
23. Ohio State
24. Cal Poly
25. Tulsa
26. Harvard
27. Old Dominion
28. Loyola (Md)
29. North Carolina
30. UC Davis

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index_files/Page424.htm

with the exception of Indiana,
i like the top 6

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
When do they release the Hermann trophy watch list?

professor
08-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Mac Hermann Award, pre season watch list = I heard Thursday of this week

should be leaking out anytime - Ives, Goff, but my $$$ is on Buzz

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Buzz has been amazing for NCAA info. I expect he will be the source for GA signings again as well. Who are the forwards you'd be expecting to have big years outside of Tracy and White? Also, what's the deal with Daniel Revivo....is he MLS quality?

T_Mizz
08-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm sure that the other Striker who is comparable to white will be selected by Seattle as they won't need to use an SI slot and white will fall to us

Wooster_TFC
08-12-2008, 09:01 PM
*UPDATED

2009 SuperDraft
Friday January 16th, 2009

Round 2 = 1 pick - TFC
Round 3 = 2 picks - TFC and *FCD's (in exchange for Cunningham)

Round 5 = 2 picks – TFC and DC United’s (rec’d for rights to Mike Zaher)
Round 6 = TFC
Round 7 = TFC
Round 8 = TFC
• We concede a conditional pick to Chivas for Guevara in drafts 2009 and 2010

Looks about right.

-2 YIs for expansion
-1 YI Cancela trade
-2 US from league
+1 Trade for Phelan
+1 Trade for Huckerby

Then there's the question of the 3 extra US slots we got in expansion as to when they expire. Haven't been able to find anything concrete on it. At the moment, we have 4 open I spots, and only 1 open Senior roster spot.

Mo seems reluctant to give international dev spots, since it's a waste, so I'm assuming those will remain open to handle the -3 deficit we are facing at the end of the year.

The draft will be interesting if we are maxed on international/US spots. It will also be interesting if Mo makes a push for another international spot. I somewhat have a bad feeling about the draft, that we might be operating from a position of weakness due to the international positions we have opening.

Any idea what contracts come off the books at the end of the year?

professor
08-12-2008, 09:04 PM
... what's the deal with Daniel Revivo....is he MLS quality?

No I don't think so

He's the same player last year as he was the year before, and the year before that. He hasn't really developed or improved, he's still an average NCAA forward. His numbers and accolades are misleading because it's Big South competition.

IIRC, he's no longer active with the u20s either

IF he has a really strong statistical season, he might end up as a supp draft candidate

His MLS upside is his mother is American, and he has a green card already (or so I'm told) plus I heard his father is middle Eastern so he has a passport opton there. The most telling feature though is if he were a hot prospect, he'd be overseas already.

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 09:04 PM
It won't be waste if those international development spots are used on GA players. Who knows what will be available in the draft this year.

Professor: what abou Masumi Turnbull and Kyle Hall or other canadians? Ricketts and Jakovic excluded of course

professor
08-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm sure that the other Striker who is comparable to white will be selected by Seattle as they won't need to use an SI slot and white will fall to us

White has a green card, his father lives just outside of Storrs, CN
He's a domestic player on both sides of the border, he's falling to no one

professor
08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
It won't be waste if those international development spots are used on GA players. Who knows what will be available in the draft this year.

Draft picks that are not packaged and traded = GA & ACC players!!!

Professor: what abou Masumi Turnbull and Kyle Hall or other canadians? Ricketts and Jakovic excluded of course

Hall - not MLS quality
but keep an eye as UConn (White) @ SU on Sun Sept 28.
http://www.suathletics.com/schedules.asp?path=msoccer&tab=schedules

Turnball = in the shadow of Riley O'Neill, does he play MLS? :noidea:
I don't know much about him and I've never seen him play
but Kentucky has a tough schedule = Conference USA
A good solid season with solid stats and accolades gets him a ticket to
the combine - he's a Sr.

DigzTFC!
08-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Really? Hall had an outstanding pre-olympic U23 tourney. Thats tought to swallow. I thought he could turn into something, but then again, Hemming looked like an all-star in that tournament.

I don't know NCAA as its sort of the last thing I've studied about MLS and its scouting system. Which conferences produce most MLS ready players. ACC obviously...but is that the only one?

professor
08-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Any idea what contracts come off the books at the end of the year?

no

we'll have to wait till the expansion draft and then wait for Mo to cut/release whomever in the fall

no way does Mo go to St Louis with 9-11 draft picks

Marshall, Smith and Velez are vulnerable come season end

professor
08-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Really? Hall had an outstanding pre-olympic U23 tourney. Thats tought to swallow. I thought he could turn into something, but then again, Hemming looked like an all-star in that tournament.

No disrespect to Hall - I'd love to see him develop into a bona fied MLS player - right now I don't see it. I hope he's a late bloomer.
My assessment is based on how he handles and performs at the NCAA level, and he's not a top tier Big East stud-like player
Only top 1 or 2% of NCAA players go direct to MLS and make an impact, others require further development, i.e, a Tyler Hemming

And then there is the alumnus factor, @SU, Richard Assante who was drafted by TFC in 2007 SuperDraft (Round 3 - pick 27)
I feel Richard is a better player than either of Hall or Peetoom

Hemming was a Supp pick in the same draft, Round 4 - Pick #40
I also happen to think Hemming is a better player than either of Hall or Peetoom. Hemming is a Hartwick College Alumnus - Mid American Conference (MAC)

I don't know NCAA as its sort of the last thing I've studied about MLS and its scouting system. Which conferences produce most MLS ready players. ACC obviously...but is that the only one?

PAC 10, Big East, Conference USA

professor
08-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Mac Hermann Award, pre season watch list = I heard Thursday of this week

should be leaking out anytime - Ives, Goff, but my $$$ is on Buzz

It will be posted here - http://www.nscaa.com/awards.php

In an e-mail from a rep from the Missouri Athletic Club, the targeted release date was hoped to be today, or Monday at the latest
Currently, at the above noted link, nothing, so it looks like Monday or leaked & posted over the wekeend

professor
08-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Majority of players selected in the draft will come from these programs

Pre Season Conference Polls
Poll consists of a vote conducted by each conference's coaches
Coaches are not allowed to vote for their own teams
Points 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, first place votes in parentheses

ACC Men's Soccer Preseason Poll
1. Wake Forest (7) 79
2. Maryland 62
3. Boston College (2)
4. North Carolina 51
5. Virginia Tech 45
6. Virginia 43
7. Duke 27
8. Clemson 24
9. NC State 14

PAC 10 Men's Soccer Preseason Poll
1. California (4) 24 points
2. UCLA (1) 20
3. Stanford (1) 17
4. Washington 13
5. San Diego State 11
6. Oregon State 5

Big East Men's Soccer Preseason Coaches' Poll Blue Division
Connecticut (4) 112
Notre Dame (2) 99
Providence 70
West Virginia
Seton Hall 61
Georgetown 59
Marquette 26
Pittsburgh 19

Big East Men's Soccer Preseason Coaches' Poll Red Division
USF (7) 99
Louisville (4) 97
St. John's (3) 92
DePaul (2) 63
Rutgers 56
Cincinnati 44
Villanova 34
Syracuse 27

Conference USA Poll not yet released
FIU
Kentucky
Marshall
Memphis
SMU
South Carolina
Tulsa
UAB
UCF

Maybe by mid September I'll have a couple of lists:
One will consist of Canadians to watch out for,
the other being "combine worthy"

gus
08-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Majority of players selected in the draft will come from these programs

Maybe by mid September I'll have a couple of lists:
One will consist of Canadians to watch out for,
the other being "combine worthy"

I'm looking forward to your lists.

Thanks for the insight. My son and I really do appreciate everything that you've done for us and for the information you have provided.

I also understand your "positioning" philosophy now. :cool:
The A-D is a first rate butt-head!:D

ps... I'll work on the hovering thing;)

professor
08-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Soccer Times 2008 Preseason Poll
http://www.soccertimes.com/ncaa/top25/men.htm

Rank School 2007 Rank
1 Wake Forest 1
2 Connecticut 4
3 Santa Clara 6
4 Maryland 14
5 Indiana 12
6 Notre Dame 5
7 Boston College 7
8 Creighton 8
9 Southern Methodist 17t
10 California-Santa Barbara 10
11 Saint Louis 19
12 Ohio State 2
13 UCLA nr
14 California 22
15 South Florida 20
16 Brown 15
17 Akron 24
18 Illinois-Chicago 13
19 Virginia Tech 3
20 Massachusetts 21
21 Northwestern 21
22 Tulsa 16
23 Louisville nr
24 New Mexico nr
25 Virginia nr

Key: nr - no ranking

Others receiving votes: Bradley 41, West Virginia 41, Harvard 40, North Carolina 40, Washington 35, California Poly 34, Furman 28, South Carolina 24, Stanford 18, Portland 12, California-Davis 11, San Diego 10, St. John's 8, Old Dominion 6, Dartmouth 5, Denver 5, DePaul 5, Duke 4, Memphis 1.

Voting panel: Louis Bennett, Marquette; Mark Berson, South Carolina; Sasho Cirovski,:canada: Maryland; Ian Collins, Kentucky; Jim deRose, Bradley; Dan Donigan, Saint Louis; Jeremy Fishbein, New Mexico; John Kerr, :canada:Duke; Mike Freitag, Indiana; Mike Getman, Alabama at Birmingham; Kevin Grimes, California; Mike Jacobs, Evansville; Paul Krumpe, Loyola Marymount; Ken Lolla, Louisville; Ray Reid, Connecticut; Bob Warming, Creighton.

Voting method: On each ballot, 25 points awarded for first place, 24 for second place, 23 for third, etc., to 1 point for 25th place.

professor
08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Continuing with a running update

2009 SuperDraft
Friday January 16th,

Round 2 = TFC
Round 3 = TFC

Round 5 = 1 pick – TFC and DC United’s (rec’d for rights to Mike Zaher) 1 of two, to the LA Galaxy
Round 6 = 0 picks, traded to LA Galaxy for Ruiz (also 1 of 2 Round 5 picks**)
Round 7 = TFC
Round 8 = TFC
** Round 5 also known as Round 1 of the Supplemental Draft, a continuation of the SuperDraft
• LA Galaxy trade forward Carlos Ruiz to Toronto FC in exchange for a first and second round pick in the 2009 MLS Supplemental Draft
We concede a conditional pick to Chivas for Guevara in drafts 2009 and 2010

professor
08-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Someone has done a ton of work on this list, but I don't know who to credit or where to source a link, etc.,
I'm thinking Buzz or one of his guys

This list was sent to me in an email with no source and link
(originated out of the US)

The person who sent it to me, also received it without a source or link
I've been sitting on this list for almost two weeks in hopes of a source surfacing

I'm not taking credit for this list - I'm just posting it, as is

Estimated 2009 Superdraft Order

Round One
1 Seattle Sounders FC
2 Toronto FC
3 DC United
4 New York Red Bulls
5 FC Dallas
6 Los Angeles Galaxy
7 Kansas City Wizards
8 Toronto FC
9 FC Dallas
10 DC United
11 Toronto FC
12 CD Chivas USA
13 Columbus Crew
14 Real Salt Lake
15 New England Revolution

Round Two
16 Seattle Sounders FC
17 San Jose Earthquakes
18 Kansas City Wizards
19 New York Red Bulls
20 Colorado Rapids
21 FC Dallas
22 Kansas City Wizards
23 Toronto FC
24 DC United
25 DC United
26 Chicago Fire
27 New England Revolution
28 Columbus Crew
29 FC Dallas
30 New England Revolution

Round Three
31 Seattle Sounders FC
32 San Jose Earthquakes
33 Colorado Rapids
34 New York Red Bulls
35 Colorado Rapids
36 Los Angeles Galaxy
37 Kansas City Wizards
38 Toronto FC
39 Houston Dynamo
40 DC United
41 Chicago Fire
42 Toronto FC
43 Columbus Crew
44 Kansas City Wizards
45 New England Revolution

Round Four
46 Seattle Sounders FC
47 San Jose Earthquakes
48 Chicago Fire
49 New York Red Bulls
50 Kansas City Wizards
51 Los Angeles Galaxy
52 Kansas City Wizards
53 Los Angeles Galaxy
54 Houston Dynamo
55 DC United
56 Chicago Fire
57 CD Chivas USA
58 Columbus Crew
59 Real Salt Lake
60 New England Revolution

Trade/Pick Movement List

Round 1
DAL has HOU's pick (via SJ, Alvarez trade)
DC has COL's pick (Gomez trade)
SJ has HOU's pick (Kamara trade, later traded to DAL)
TOR has SJ's pick (O'Brien trade)
TOR has CHI's pick (McBride trade)

Round 2
COL has DAL's pick (Guarda trade)
DAL has RSL's pick (Cassar compensation)
DAL has LA's pick (Ruiz trade)
DC has HOU's pick (Boswell trade, pick is conditional)
KC has COL's pick (Burciaga trade)
LA has CHV's pick (Thomas trade, later traded to NE)
NE has CHV's pick (via LA, Franchino trade)

Round 3
COL has DAL's pick (Guarda trade)
DAL has CHV's pick (Nunez trade)
KC has RSL's pick (Movsisyan trade)
TOR has FCD's pick (Cunningham trade)

Round 4
CHI has COL's pick (Sanneh trade)
COL has SJ's pick (Gray/Kirovski trade)
LA has TOR's pick (Harmse trade)
KC has DAL's pick (international slot trade)

Conditional Picks
CHV has TOR's pick (Guevara trade)
COL has NY's pick (Mathis trade)

Total picks
CHI 4 picks
CHV 2 picks
CLB 4 picks
COL 4 picks
DAL 4 picks
DC 6 picks
HOU 2 picks
KC 7 picks
LA 4 picks
NE 5 picks
NY 4 picks
RSL 2 picks
SEA 4 picks
SJ 2 picks
TOR 6 picks

I added/amended the Cunningham trade

professor
09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Every week or so I'm going to try and update this list - my 1%

Goalkeepers
Zack Simmons (Massachusetts) Senior, Combine candidate
If there's a better keeper in the NCAA, its news to a whole lot of very knowledgable soccer people.

Defenders
Omar Gonzalez (Maryland) Junior
Gen A written all over him
The Beast (6-5, 215 pounds) Is he the best back in the NCAA?

Midfielders
Sam Cronin (Wake Forest) Senior, Combine candidate
For TFC purposes - a Barrett-like work ethic but far more effective and efficient. He has the timing, the touch, wins tackles, a competitive and ruthless mindset

Forwards
Marcus Tracy (Wake Forest) Senior, Combine candidate
Speed with skill. Scored important goals all last season, never mind just the 3 in the NCAA tournament. He's game for anything and always pressuring the opposing back line, none of this drifting in and out of games - he's a gamer. He is currently the only NCAA forward I don't moan about having to pay to watch him play. - what about it RH??? A'm I right?

O'Brian White (Connecticut) Senior, Combine candidate
Last years Hermann Trophy winner, 23 goals scored, Can he repeat?
A poacher.
2008, 2 games in = 2 goals scored

Sullivan
09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Good info kid.

Yes, MT is the real deal, so is OW.
And yes you bitch too much, especially when you can expense your costs.

The kid at Harvard, he's another gem, a poacher. He has even less to work with than MT.

Here's a thought, the Zips really seem to be the flavor of the month, are they the wildcard team or a team to beat?