PDA

View Full Version : MLSE boss Michael Friisdahl eschews spotlight

Oldtimer
06-13-2016, 08:21 AM
I don't care if he is a typical corporate suit with no experience with sports. As long as he lets the team presidents run things and doesn't interfere, it should be good.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/mlse-head-michael-friisdahl-works-deliberately-behind-the-scenes/article30384561/

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2016/06/09/mlse-boss-michael-friisdahl-eschews-spotlight.html

akoto
06-13-2016, 08:30 AM
First article seems to be behind a paywall.

MightyDM
06-13-2016, 01:51 PM
I don't care if he is a typical corporate suit with no experience with sports. As long as he lets the team presidents run things and doesn't interfere, it should be good.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/mlse-head-michael-friisdahl-works-deliberately-behind-the-scenes/article30384561/

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2016/06/09/mlse-boss-michael-friisdahl-eschews-spotlight.html

he has been hired to cut costs. Cannot see that being good for TFC. They saw him as the Anti Lewicki

Shway
06-13-2016, 05:30 PM
he has been hired to cut costs. Cannot see that being good for TFC. They saw him as the Anti Lewicki

Not if he cuts loose Altidore, or even Bradley.

OgtheDim
06-13-2016, 06:19 PM

Seba would be gone too, if not first.

Why this guy has been hired is unknown by everybody but the board and possibly his direct reports - the rest is all divination from media tea leaves. We don't know what vision he sold the board on.

We'll begin to get some understanding during NBA free agent time.

Richard
06-13-2016, 06:30 PM
We got a good president and we don't need the top payroll in the league to win MLS.

OgtheDim
06-13-2016, 06:33 PM
We got a good president and we don't need the top payroll in the league to win MLS.

No near top payroll, no Seba.

Can't have it both ways.

Richard
06-13-2016, 06:41 PM
No near top payroll, no Seba.

Can't have it both ways.

Umm we could have Seba at his salary, just maybe in the future we wont have two other designated players making 4 and 6 million each, but something in the 1-3M range.

All I'm saying is we got a president who knows who to spend money wisely if MLSE decides to turn the other way.

Ultra & Proud
06-13-2016, 07:17 PM
I don't worry too much about budget cuts to TFC as long as attendance stays the same. After all, the entire yearly TFC payroll is going to be less that what De Rozan's going to get this upcoming year. No matter what, even with Altidore, Bradley, & Giovinco, TFC is still the small potato under the MLSE umbrella.

OgtheDim
06-13-2016, 09:18 PM
Umm we could have Seba at his salary, just maybe in the future we wont have two other designated players making 4 and 6 million each, but something in the 1-3M range.

All I'm saying is we got a president who knows who to spend money wisely if MLSE decides to turn the other way.

You have to follow the bean counter logic - no need to spend $8 million for 1 and $2-6 million for another 2 when you can spend $3-9 million for 3 and "win MLS".

I know Lagerway can win that way but I'm pretty darn sure Toronto sports fans don't operate that way. This town likes stars, so much so that if there isn't one on the Leafs it makes stars of pluggers or bets its hopes on second line wingers playing on its first line. I know people don't like Bradley and or Altidore but if there is no star, this team will not be followed.

spe18
06-13-2016, 10:11 PM

Which MLSE should as that is how just about every other team in MLS has won championships, aside from Los Angeles Galaxy.

ensco
06-14-2016, 06:23 AM
So why did the PR flacks bother? I mean, could this guy try any harder to say nothing of substance?

I don't know how anyone can have any opinion about this guy based on these interviews, or much of anything else, other than to state the obvious, which is anyone from the airline industry is NOT interested in service, they are interested in cutting costs, and tiering (ie treat the top paying customers like royalty, treat the rest like varying degrees of dirt, to make them want to be top customers)

TFC07
06-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Cutting TFC payroll will hurt TFC more than it will help since it was DP's that bought back hype and excitement around TFC. TFC will need a player to sell team to the city (sorry but winning MLS cup with bunch no names isn't going to catch much interest in mainstream) for a while until MLS becomes one of top leagues in the world.

If MLSE decides to get rid of DP's, then we will return back to dark ages where attendance will be less than 20,000 per game and no one in media would cover TFC unless supporters are protesting. At that point, I might as well support CPL.

ryan
06-16-2016, 04:27 PM

This isn't going to happen.

The investments made by Tim were expensive, thus revenues are coming through jersey ads and the like. Our roster will not suffer for it. No doubts here. I'd expect things to likely get even more expensive for concessions, merch and ticketing, but what else is new.

Onyx
06-16-2016, 04:55 PM
This isn't going to happen.

The investments made by Tim were expensive, thus revenues are coming through jersey ads and the like. Our roster will not suffer for it. No doubts here. I'd expect things to likely get even more expensive for concessions, merch and ticketing, but what else is new.

what additional revenue from jersey ads. BMO walked, and then came back last minute. we are assuming they are paying something, but its nothing close to the $4mil they were paying a few years ago.
only additional revenue is the suites they added but that is only C$1million per year, if they are full which they are not. even if they average another 1000 "paying" customers per game, that is only 500-700k in annual revenue.

That doesn't cover the C$20million per year they are losing.
just enjoy the DPs while they are here.

Ultra & Proud
06-16-2016, 06:43 PM
what additional revenue from jersey ads. BMO walked, and then came back last minute. we are assuming they are paying something, but its nothing close to the $4mil they were paying a few years ago.
only additional revenue is the suites they added but that is only C$1million per year, if they are full which they are not. even if they average another 1000 "paying" customers per game, that is only 500-700k in annual revenue.

That doesn't cover the C$20million per year they are losing.
just enjoy the DPs while they are here.

Even according the league's own BS 2015 numbers, TFC was one of the teams to make a profit last season. And this is the league who likes to cry poor to keep the salary cap down.