PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Sept 10th away

Pint
05-31-2016, 12:11 PM
Is this a trip people plan on taking?

I've been in contact with the Fire FO and they are not able to set up a ticket link because they can't figure out the Canadian billing address.

As far as i know no organized travel, know a bunch who are going to porter it down (round trip less than $300).

I think we used a thread like this last year for the easter weekend trip and it turned out to be a very fun weekend.

Fort York Redcoat
05-31-2016, 12:55 PM
Last season I bought the day before the game when I got there. Like other MLS stadia they have a designated spot to put the away support if anybody asks. If you say you want the away section they should have spots for you.

This was an amazing trip for me last year and I would do it again once I get to some other MLS cities.

Have a blast, pint.

Pint
05-31-2016, 01:19 PM
Last season I bought the day before the game when I got there. Like other MLS stadia they have a designated spot to put the away support if anybody asks. If you say you want the away section they should have spots for you.

This was an amazing trip for me last year and I would do it again once I get to some other MLS cities.

Have a blast, pint.

you were in chicago last year? different day or is my memory that hazy?

Fort York Redcoat
05-31-2016, 02:59 PM
you were in chicago last year? different day or is my memory that hazy?

DAmn. 2 years ago.... :jaw:

Pint
06-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Porter sale on now and flights are $230 round trip that weekend.

Joe Kool
06-09-2016, 01:08 PM
DAmn. 2 years ago.... :jaw:

Yeah you were there when I was there 2 years ago. Good times. We got a tie that should have been a win if I recall. I enjoyed the trip and the city. I will go back one day but not this year. My finances suck. Hard enough to pay for the GO train to the home games :)

Derko
06-09-2016, 08:27 PM
We are going to this game in Chicago, we went 2 years ago, went to the Beer festival prior to the match, what a blast Chicago is.
Any ticket info let me know/

Cheers

Pint
06-09-2016, 08:59 PM
We are going to this game in Chicago, we went 2 years ago, went to the Beer festival prior to the match, what a blast Chicago is.
Any ticket info let me know/

Cheers

They can't set up a link that works with Canadian credit cards for some reason. So you have to go through the contact at the fire. lcaruso@chicago-fire.com

Redcoe15
06-09-2016, 09:52 PM
I was there two years ago as well. My first time ever in Chicago. Great town with great food - loved that there was a Garrett's Gourmet Popcorn store right across the street from the hotel I stayed at (there's got to be a way to bring one to Toronto!). Went to the beer festival as well and also toured the Museum of Broadcasting.

The game at Bridgeview was good. We tied when we should have won because the fucking ref disallowed the Gilberto goal in extra time for no good reason! :hulk:

Anyone going, have a great time.

ensco
06-20-2016, 01:01 PM
There is a pretty interesting airfare deal, $215 return on Air Canada, that has landed right on top of this game.

https://www.flightcentre.ca/flights/chicago-from-toronto/poms/531191?campaignTracker=worldwide-flight-sale

Pint
07-15-2016, 09:54 AM
For anyone thats going to the game and is staying downtown, I'm in the process of arranging a bus to and from the game. About 20 kings (so far) have booked the trip and the busses can either fit either 33 or 57 people so depending on how many more make the trek down and are interested we will book based on that.

Captain
07-15-2016, 10:05 AM
How long is the drive to Chicago?

Captain
07-15-2016, 10:07 AM
There is a pretty interesting airfare deal, $215 return on Air Canada, that has landed right on top of this game.

https://www.flightcentre.ca/flights/chicago-from-toronto/poms/531191?campaignTracker=worldwide-flight-sale

I just checked this link but I'm getting $287 now.

Pint
07-15-2016, 10:10 AM
I just checked this link but I'm getting $287 now.

Try this code on porter (KEQYWD)... they send sales out a couple times a week. Flights got as low as $220 earlier last month.

Driving is about 8 hours.

Derko
07-15-2016, 10:19 AM
How long is the drive to Chicago?

About 8 hours from Caledon

KGH
07-15-2016, 12:05 PM
For anyone thats going to the game and is staying downtown, I'm in the process of arranging a bus to and from the game. About 20 kings (so far) have booked the trip and the busses can either fit either 33 or 57 people so depending on how many more make the trek down and are interested we will book based on that.

Pint count me and J in for the bus. Lets just make sure we all meet up in a central location that's not one of:

1) Fado Irish Pub Chicago
2) Kroll's South Loop
3) Cleos Bar & Grill
4) The Galway Arms

Those are all Pub to Pitch locations that the Fire run on game day.

Pint
07-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Pint count me and J in for the bus. Lets just make sure we all meet up in a central location that's not one of:

1) Fado Irish Pub Chicago
2) Kroll's South Loop
3) Cleos Bar & Grill
4) The Galway Arms

Those are all Pub to Pitch locations that the Fire run on game day.

You 2 are already part of my list. I was just looking at locations over lunch and Fado is the only one right downtown, we will probably do timothy o'tools or something else right in that area.

Captain
07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Can anyone recommend where to stay in Chicago? where not to stay?

What's the area around the stadium like for walking around at night?

Is there anything in that immediate area worth seeing? I've never been to Chicago so I'd like to do some sight seeing. Will I need a car?
Thanks

Pint
07-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Is there anything in that immediate area worth seeing? I've never been to Chicago so I'd like to do some sight seeing. Will I need a car?
Thanks

Magnificent mile, the loop, gold coast, wicker park are all nice areas to stay. A couple of us are booked into the residence inn by mariott in downtown/loop, I would say avoid staying near the stadium... it is not the best of locations and its far from everything downtown.

We are putting a bus together for to and from the game from downtown if interested let me know how many ppl.

KGH
07-20-2016, 12:11 PM

Thanks

Further to what Pint said:

We're staying in the Magnificent mile area. There's nothing by the stadium. From chicago downtown its ~17 miles or about 30 min drive. Its about the equivalent of BMO field being where the airport is from the eaton center. Thats why the fire run the Pub to Pitch Bus shuttle Program.

If you want to start to see Chicago stay downtown. Magnificent mile is a larger version of yorkville. If you've never been I'd start there. Puts you close to things like The House of Blues and you should really think about a bout tour of the city if cool architecture is something you're into. Chicago is a pretty great city.

Detroit_TFC
07-20-2016, 01:34 PM

Thanks

Closest hotels are 5 miles from Toyota Park, near Midway Airport. Stadium is in an industrial area. Midway also has a train stop from downtown, but that is as close as the train gets to the stadium. There is a special bus service from Midway to the stadium before and just after the match. Having a car makes life much easier. Trip from downtown take a long time, whether by train or car.

Red CB Toronto
07-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Staying downtown off Michigan Ave near the water is ideal, outside of the game, lots of bars, resturants, the sights are right there. Look at the Fire website, I believe they offer pub busses.

Joe Kool
07-20-2016, 11:44 PM

Thanks

Like others said I have stayed in the Magnificient Mile area. It was great. Clean and safe to walk at night. Took a cab everywhere since it was cheaper than transit in the downtown area for my family of four. Drove to the stadium on game day about 30 min to get there. Nothing to see in stadium area. Chicago is my favourite US city as long as you keep to the good areas. We hung out at the pier and did a boat cruise which was a fun way to see the city. Giordanos deep dish pizza too.... I miss it.

Pint
08-09-2016, 11:58 AM
For anyone going we have reserved a 24 person bus and we likely have a couple sports available. ~ $20 to and from the stadium

__wowza
08-09-2016, 08:47 PM
For anyone going we have reserved a 24 person bus and we likely have a couple sports available. ~ $20 to and from the stadium

mark me down as a maybe and I'll confirm it with you in a couple of days.

Pint
08-10-2016, 07:57 AM
mark me down as a maybe and I'll confirm it with you in a couple of days.

Cool, have you tentatively marked down for 1.

Captain
08-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Do you still have room on the bus? I'm looking at flights now. Do you have room for two more? If I can get a good deal then I might just go. What part of downtown/hotel would the bus be departing?

Pint
08-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Bus will be leaving from the magnificent mile area, Timothy O'Toole's to be exact. Right now we have 24 person bus and 24 people committed but we can always switch to a larger bus if we have enough interest.

EDIT: so if we are going to have to move up from the 24 to the 33 person bus it will cost $128 more... so depending on how many more over the 24 people will determine your price. everyone right now is paying 21/22 including driver tip so if we get 6 more you would be at ~21.25 to cover the additional cost.

Tentative:
Captian: 2
Wowza: 1
Kings: 3

Joe Kool
08-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Bus will be leaving from the magnificent mile area, Timothy O'Toole's to be exact. Right now we have 24 person bus and 24 people committed but we can always switch to a larger bus if we have enough interest.

That is a cool idea. I never thought about that type of thing when I was there although I don't we would have had enough people back then. There may have been about 24 people total in the whole away supporter section for the game I was at. Good on you for organizing that though.

Pint
08-11-2016, 11:33 AM
That is a cool idea. I never thought about that type of thing when I was there although I don't we would have had enough people back then. There may have been about 24 people total in the whole away supporter section for the game I was at. Good on you for organizing that though.

We did the same thing last year and it worked well. Keeps the away supporters together and end up being cheaper than and less hassle than finding other means to the stadium.

This year the bar we are going to is offering us a 2 or 3 hour open bar deal... this could be dangerous

Captain
08-23-2016, 12:44 PM
So I was moving last week and didn't get a chance to book my flight. Now the prices have gone up again. Best price I've seen is $391 return on porter. Anyone have any links to a cheaper flight? I still want to go but may be forced to drive - not looking forward to an 8 hour drive. (I'd still want two spots on the bus if I drive.)

Pint
08-23-2016, 12:54 PM
So I was moving last week and didn't get a chance to book my flight. Now the prices have gone up again. Best price I've seen is $391 return on porter. Anyone have any links to a cheaper flight? I still want to go but may be forced to drive - not looking forward to an 8 hour drive. (I'd still want two spots on the bus if I drive.)

use code: QK4XS9 today and it should get you down to 323ish

Ill have to check and see if we can get a bigger bus as the spots are full (actually over full), hadn't heard for a while so figured you were out for the bus

Captain
08-23-2016, 01:04 PM
use code: QK4XS9 today and it should get you down to 323ish

Ill have to check and see if we can get a bigger bus as the spots are full (actually over full), hadn't heard for a while so figured you were out for the bus

Understood. I know I did not commit to the bus. I will make a decision about flights by the end of today.

Ratven
08-23-2016, 07:05 PM
So do we have a bunch of tickets set aside? Or is everyone just calling in requesting away support section?

Gf and I will be in Chicago that weekend, should be a great game.

Pint
08-23-2016, 08:03 PM
So do we have a bunch of tickets set aside? Or is everyone just calling in requesting away support section?

Gf and I will be in Chicago that weekend, should be a great game.

Talk to louis: lcaruso@chicago-fire.com with the fire and he will set you up. Our group is doing pregame at theory in the loop. If anyone not on the bus wants to join feel free

Captain
08-24-2016, 09:32 AM
I booked my flight with Porter last night. Now to get tickets to the game and a hotel! Looking forward to a weekend away.

Any recommendations on what to see in Chicago?

teengenerate08
08-31-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm a VERY infrequent poster on here (as you can see by my post count :D ) but glad to see people from RPB will be in Chicago. I'll be there with a small group as well.

p.s. looking at this I see that I don't have any posts attached to my name- I thought for sure I had at least a few :D

Anyhow, my name is Jeff, and I've been around with TFC since the outset, know a few people on this board- looking forward to this trip!

MartinUtd
08-31-2016, 12:35 PM
I'm a VERY infrequent poster on here (as you can see by my post count :D ) but glad to see people from RPB will be in Chicago. I'll be there with a small group as well.

p.s. looking at this I see that I don't have any posts attached to my name- I thought for sure I had at least a few :D

Anyhow, my name is Jeff, and I've been around with TFC since the outset, know a few people on this board- looking forward to this trip!

Maybe you had an account on the old board? There were a few iterations before this version.

This sounds like a fun trip but I think I'm going to hold off until the playoffs.

molenshtain
08-31-2016, 01:06 PM
Nice to see so many going to Chicago. I made the trip quite a while back during the Winter era (I even believe Dan Gargan scored against us in that game). Bridgeview is genuinely in the middle of nowhere, but the drive there is easy from downtown Chicago and Toyota park is a nice little stadium to catch a game. The locals are very friendly. I suggest going a bit early and getting in on the ritualistic pre-game tailgating. It's not the best stadium or the best atmosphere in MLS, but your sure to have a good time.

Pint
09-01-2016, 02:41 PM
For anyone going we still have a spot or two available on the bus to the game. @captian I sent you a PM a little while ago.

Would be $21USD to and from the stadium if anyone is interested.

C.Ronaldo
09-01-2016, 04:14 PM
I booked my flight with Porter last night. Now to get tickets to the game and a hotel! Looking forward to a weekend away.

Any recommendations on what to see in Chicago?

science centre is pretty kick ass, but im a science kid at heart
museum is beside too, its really good

must do it the architectural river tour. I though Chicago was kinda lame until I took the tour

Captain
09-03-2016, 12:41 AM
For anyone going we still have a spot or two available on the bus to the game. @captian I sent you a PM a little while ago.

Would be $21USD to and from the stadium if anyone is interested.
Somehow I missed the PM. Yes I would be interested in two spots on the bus. Thanks

Pint
09-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Somehow I missed the PM. Yes I would be interested in two spots on the bus. Thanks

Cool, pregame is at Theory starting at 2:30 bus leaves around 545 http://www.theorychicago.com/

(http://www.theorychicago.com/)

Redcoe15
09-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Don't forget, for those that are going:

https://buckycheeses.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/1255551929-popcorn.jpg
The cheese popcorn is to DIEfor!!! :yum: :drool5:

dmacd
09-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Hi all. I bought a Chicago trip package at the MLSE Gala last year and am bringing my Dad to the game. Not sure where the team has us sitting or even where my Dad will be up for going pre-game (we're meeting a few TFC players pre-game as part of the package), but count 2 more for those at Toyota Park that'll be wearing red.

Captain
09-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Cool, pregame is at Theory starting at 2:30 bus leaves around 545 http://www.theorychicago.com/

(http://www.theorychicago.com/)
Is the bus now leaving from Theory instead of Timothy O'Tools?

Pint
09-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Is the bus now leaving from Theory instead of Timothy O'Tools?

Yep, we had a miss understand with O'Tooles as they wanted a $1,500 min attached to the space.

Red CB Toronto
09-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Yep, we had a miss understand with O'Tooles as they wanted a $1,500 min attached to the space.

Kind of surprised that O'Tooles tried to attached a min to you guys. They are truly a footy friendly bar as the home of the American Outlaws Chicago. All the US national team watch parties are held there.

Pint
09-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Kind of surprised that O'Tooles tried to attached a min to you guys. They are truly a footy friendly bar as the home of the American Outlaws Chicago. All the US national team watch parties are held there.

We were surprised as well, we had an open bar set up for 25 people for 3 hours and when we got the agreement to sign I had to read the fine print to see the min attached to the space. Worked out to around $60 a person USD which is too much. They offered to remove it after a little back and forth but by then we had found a couple other places offering space, assigned staff and cash and carry which is better for the ones that don't consume as much (although i don't think kings has any of those lol)