PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating for TFC games!

mistercorporate
05-29-2016, 08:42 PM
So apparently the Argos have gotten permission to do tailgating in the parking lot before games. Wouldn't it be great to have TFC fans tailgating too before our home games, since that door has now been opened? Everyone comes out and busts out the BBQ's and drinking in the open (though due to liquor laws the alcohol would have to be sold by the stadium in parking lot booths).

glaze
05-29-2016, 09:57 PM
I was curious how the argos would pull it off. Seems like a hybrid approach on paper.
The problem with the cfl is people will naturally compare it to nfl experience and bmo will never be a Ralph Wilson stadium.

Overall this city and province has to become a bit more relaxed on booze. Happy hours are still illegal, tailgating is still pretty much illegal, you couldn't drink at a Jays game until 1982, heck apparently you couldn't stand up and drink until the late 70s or even carry your drink from one table to another.

Red CB Toronto
05-29-2016, 10:25 PM
I was curious how the argos would pull it off. Seems like a hybrid approach on paper.
The problem with the cfl is people will naturally compare it to nfl experience and bmo will never be a Ralph Wilson stadium.

Overall this city and province has to become a bit more relaxed on booze. Happy hours are still illegal, tailgating is still pretty much illegal, you couldn't drink at a Jays game until 1982, heck apparently you couldn't stand up and drink until the late 70s or even carry your drink from one table to another.

I believe you will bring your own food etc but have to buy your beer from the Argos for Whay will be lcbo prices $2 tall boys etc.

Red4ever
05-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Amazing that we will be able to smoke a joint on the steps of a police station before we will be able to grab a 6 pack at a corner store and descretely drink it in a parking lot.

OgtheDim
05-30-2016, 07:05 AM
Its a good idea, glad somebody was thinking about it and I bet ya it becomes a TFC option too.

What I read about this is beer sales will stop 30-45 minutes before game time. I highly doubt they will want to charge anything less then normal bar prices.

Given Ralph Wilson now has the reputation as the most debauched and drunk filled NFL experience with people pissing in sinks and the like, no thank you to that.

Red CB Toronto
05-30-2016, 07:22 AM
Its a good idea, glad somebody was thinking about it and I bet ya it becomes a TFC option too.

What I read about this is beer sales will stop 30-45 minutes before game time. I highly doubt they will want to charge anything less then normal bar prices.

Given Ralph Wilson now has the reputation as the most debauched and drunk filled NFL experience with people pissing in sinks and the like, no thank you to that.

It is going to be done like how it was when the Argos did tailgates in the past, it was three beers for $10. There really want to bring that American style experience to the Ex. There marketing peps really want to push the envelope on this one.

I want BMO to be a Ralph Wilson stadium of the north. It is one amazing Sunday afternoon out. TFC could really do this too to market the team. Have college nights to fill the upper east stand. Cheap beer and cheap tickets were go a long way to doing this. Got to be creative in this day and age.

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2016, 07:43 AM
So apparently the Argos have gotten permission to do tailgating in the parking lot before games. Wouldn't it be great to have TFC fans tailgating too before our home games, since that door has now been opened? Everyone comes out and busts out the BBQ's and drinking in the open (though due to liquor laws the alcohol would have to be sold by the stadium in parking lot booths).

We do this already. We don't do it every game but we do it as a special day.

I mean if you want a corporate tailgate, and it sounds like you would, then they would no doubt locate somewhere other than where RPB tailgates are.

The Argos tailgates were panned by most that I heard. A pale comparison to what the Murica gridiron version prides itself on.

Pint
05-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Just a question... how many Canadians that live in the GTA have a portable BBQ and vehicle sufficient to drive to the game?

I did my undergraduate degree in America and I loved the tailgating for college football games even if it was only a 1AA school but i don't see people wanting to be up at 6am to get ready for a 1pm kickoff here just so they can cook a hotdog themselves.

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2016, 07:46 AM
Just a question... how many Canadians that live in the GTA have a portable BBQ and vehicle sufficient to drive to the game?

I did my undergraduate degree in America and I loved the tailgating for college football games even if it was only a 1AA school but i don't see people wanting to be up at 6am to get ready for a 1pm kickoff here just so they can cook a hotdog themselves.

LOL so true. I think peeps here love the concept of others doing it or doing it for them but SOMEBODY has to do the work.

Pint
05-30-2016, 08:36 AM
LOL so true. I think peeps here love the concept of others doing it or doing it for them but SOMEBODY has to do the work.

Another part of Tailgating that makes it worthwhile in the states is a case of beer (say a 30 pack of rolling rock) is $16, even at $5 a beer which i imagine is the price they will see it isn't a huge improvement over a bar.

Red4ever
05-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Unless the beer is overwhelmingly cheap this wont work.

I think Campbell hit it on the head at 3 for $10. That's the maximum if they want to make it a thing. It looks like argos are trying to make this the equivilent to the supporter crowd at TFC. Let them have pure football within reason.

The real difference between the states and here is people drive drunk a hell of a lot more in the states. Also, Many schools don't serve beer at the game so you sober up over the course of 3 hours. Bringing a car is necessary to grill but a pain if you drink. Proper tailgating is far more about good food then cheap beer.

That being said if tailgating was accepted, I lived close to bmo and could leave my car overnight, Id do it every week.

GabrielHurl
06-01-2016, 10:43 AM
They released their information about the tailgating - beers will be $4each

We are thrilled to announce to you that we are bringing tailgating to every home game at BMO Field this year.
We are making the announcement official later today at a media event, but wanted you to hear it from us first.

*Starting this FRIDAY, JUNE 3 at 10:00am we are pleased to offer our valued season seat holders an exclusive opportunity to purchase parking spots in the tailgate area. Further details on how to purchase parking spots in the tailgate area will be shared via email shortly.
The parking spots will be sold in full regular season passes at Ontario Place and a half-season passes at Exhibition Place. The pre-season game will be sold separately.
Parking spots will be sold with a $5 premium on normal event parking rates for a total of $30 at Ontario Place and $35 Exhibition Place.
Argos Tailgate 101
Minimum of 250 parking spots in a licensed area at Ontario Place Lot #1 for every game
Hundreds of additional parking spots may become available at Ontario Place and Exhibition Place for certain games (depending on other events on site)
Beer will be sold in the licensed area for $4.00 each
Other beverages, like coolers, will also be made available
Fans are not permitted to bring their own alcohol due to provincial liquor regulations
Propane and charcoal BBQs will be permitted. Propane tanks can be no larger than 20 lbs
The designated tailgating parking lots will open at least three hours prior to kickoff
Parking spots will be sold with a $5.00 premium on normal event parking rates - $30 at Ontario Place and $35 Exhibition Place and will need to be purchased in advance as part of a season pass (at Ontario Place) or half-season pass (at Exhibition Place)
Season seat holders will have the first opportunity to purchase tailgating parking spots
A limited number of parking spots will be reserved for sale to the general public during the week leading up to the game
As additional parking spots become available for certain games, season seat holders will have the first opportunity to purchase spots
We will be making a limited number of tailgating parking spots available for the pre-season game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Saturday, June 11. Parking spots for this game will be sold individually and will also be offered exclusive to you, our season seat holders, on Friday, June 3 at 10am.
Exhibition Place Schedule (Half-Season Tailgate Parking Pass)
Thursday, June 23 ***** Hamilton Tiger-Cats (Home Opener)
Monday, July 25********* Montreal Alouettes
Sunday, Sept 11********* Hamilton Tiger-Cats (Labour Day Rematch)
Monday, Oct 10********* Calgary Stampeders (Thanksgiving Monday)
Saturday, Oct 15******** Saskatchewan Roughriderss
For every game this year, we will have a tailgate area at Ontario Place with a minimum of 250 parking spots. This has the potential to expand by hundreds of additional parking spots at Ontario Place, and across the street at Exhibition Place, for certain games depending on what other events are happening on the grounds.
In this licensed tailgate area, fans will be able to park their cars, bring their own charcoal and propane BBQs and prepare their own food, purchase ice cold beer for $4 each, play games and socialize with other season seat holders and fans.
Beyond that the experience, atmosphere and traditions are left entirely up to you to create.

Areathrasher
06-01-2016, 11:04 AM
That seems like it's going to be a massive ballache to manage

InSuL1nImP
06-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Nothing but corporate bullshit. Fuck the tailgating. Hamilton knows how to do it. Maybe they should take lessons from them on it

Ivy
06-01-2016, 11:20 AM
35$ to bring your own BBQ. Awesome plan.

Pint
06-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Why do the argos get cheaper beer than us when they are essentially run by the same organization?

Red CB Toronto
06-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Why do the argos get cheaper beer than us when they are essentially run by the same organization?

BMO Field has concession contracts, the Argos by doing this outside the stadium ie tailgating can circumvent those agreements and sell beer for whatever they want.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2016, 11:55 AM
So what is happening at BMO field June 3rd? Nothing on the pitch, I presume??

Pint
06-01-2016, 11:58 AM
So you are saying AB InvBev controls the price which we sell at as well as the size and type of beer sold pregame?

Areathrasher
06-01-2016, 12:02 PM

How did you take a date for a presale on the internet and wind up mentioning a pitch? :lol:

spe18
06-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Better yet, I presume they'll be getting ready for the game on June 4th :)

zeelaw
06-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Nothing but corporate bullshit. Fuck the tailgating. Hamilton knows how to do it. Maybe they should take lessons from them on it
What do they do?

renda-10
06-01-2016, 12:28 PM
This is what everyone needs

http://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/lolo-lids-hide-beer-in-a-coffee-cup/

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2016, 12:44 PM
How did you take a date for a presale on the internet and wind up mentioning a pitch? :lol:

Thanks for clarifying. I scanned "Parking" and "June 3".

Cheers.

Parkdale
06-01-2016, 12:47 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-argonauts-tailgate-party-beer-1.3610638

Can't BYOB for your @TorontoArgos (https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos) tailgate but beers will be $4.00 coolers available too @CBCToronto (https://twitter.com/CBCToronto)

news update on the argos "tailgate".

Ours were better

Parkdale
06-01-2016, 12:51 PM
took a picture of it this morning.... it's on the south side of the lakeshore, so everyone will have to cross a bride and then a parking lot to get to BMO.

http://i.imgur.com/GAbsBwq.jpg

Red4ever
06-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Too greedy with beers. Should have been 2.50.

CowTipper
06-01-2016, 01:21 PM
My sense is that this is a really un-natural way to have a tailgate party and completely contrived. I know nothing of American Pointy-Ball but I appreciate and enjoy the concept of the tailgate. By complete fluke I wandered through tailgates once in Seattle and another time in Ann Arbour while traveling on business. Those experiences seemed very organic to me...by the fans for the fans. Guys with vans and chuck wagons in tow. Some had generators to power LCD screens they bolted to the top of their trucks so they can watch other games. Sure there was Seahawk and Michigan Blue insignia everywhere but those were brought in by fans. There were no banners/flags/posters etc put up by the teams themselves or by a brewery.

I guess our liquor laws in their current form are just not conducive to the essence of tailgating.

I remember the Seattle tailgate started at 8am PST to keep in time with games on the east coast. Man were those guys looped by the time they entered the stadium. And the Michigan Blue tailgate was at least a mile long!

Edit: and if ML$E tried to do this for TFC I still wouldn't attend even if they sold beer at the provincial minimum cost.

C.Ronaldo
06-01-2016, 01:33 PM

I can go somewhere with beer in my belly, but I cant go somewhere with a beer in my hand.

how fukn backwards

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 02:00 PM
That is a provincially owned parking lot. They will be getting their cut for sure.

No thanks to TFC and this.

Afra
06-01-2016, 03:02 PM
TG team is putting together one for us at an upcoming game. Look for the announcement soon. No corporate help here, just a bunch rowdy RPB's looking to get a burger for less than $11 before the game. . . and cooking it themselves!

Justin10000
06-02-2016, 07:06 AM
To be fair, at least the booze laws are a little looser. Beyond that, it's not a TG I'd want to attend. It's a corporation taking over what is supposed to be a fun, organic way to meet and talk with people and making money off of it. No thanks.

GBV
06-03-2016, 10:57 AM
This has to be one of the cheesiest videos I've seen. And that's coming from someone who occasionally tunes in to WWE ... :facepalm:

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/06/01/argos-announce-tailgating-for-2016-season/

mastermixer
06-03-2016, 11:58 AM
This has to be one of the cheesiest videos I've seen. And that's coming from someone who occasionally tunes in to WWE ... :facepalm:

Ugh... had douche chills all through it.

In all honestly, as long as I go to my TFC games and not know that a football team ran on the pitch a few days before, I hope it works out for them.

eustacchio
06-03-2016, 12:45 PM
But look how much fun those actors/models are having

Still Kicking
06-03-2016, 12:54 PM
The desperation of Tory and Grimes standing around watching some Argo talking head pretend to know what young people like to do in 2016 might already be my fave double blue moment of the year...
Sure - pay $30+ for a parking spot, roped in so that you can purchase a beer AND bring your own food....that will make CFL a happening event in the city... the entertainment district will be empty on Argo nights with this scheme in place...

mastermixer
06-03-2016, 01:02 PM

It couldn't be more obvious that it was a paying gig lol.

eustacchio
06-03-2016, 01:08 PM
The desperation of Tory and Grimes standing around watching some Argo talking head pretend to know what young people like to do in 2016 might already be my fave double blue moment of the year...
Sure - pay $30+ for a parking spot, roped in so that you can purchase a beer AND bring your own food....that will make CFL a happening event in the city... the entertainment district will be empty on Argo nights with this scheme in place...

"From our experience and research, we know that young people in Toronto want to experience things together. It's all about social experiences. It's all about coming together as one. And to be able to do it outside is an incredible opportunity for us as a franchise."

Nowhere does he mention that young people in Toronto want to experience the Argos.

It sounds more like he's describing Trinity-Bellwoods on any given day.

Ben - D.O.W.
06-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Wow - even at only 2.5 minutes that shit was hard to get through. If I was ever considering going to one before (which I wasn't) that would definitely keep me away from it.

Pint
06-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Why did people have solo cups when they have to buy beverages, also who the hell uses blue solo cups to drink from? Red solo cups or GTFO (and no that statement has nothing to do with TFC vs Argos)

TFC Tifoso
06-03-2016, 01:35 PM
"From our experience and research, we know that young people in Toronto want to experience things together. It's all about social experiences. It's all about coming together as one. And to be able to do it outside is an incredible opportunity for us as a franchise."

Nowhere does he mention that young people in Toronto want to experience the Argos.

It sounds more like he's describing Trinity-Bellwoods on any given day.

exactly this.....while their "research" may show that, what it fails to show, or maybe didn't include is that sitting through a 3 hour football game might be a hard sell, especially for example, to a young female population (not making a sexist comment, just a fact that females would probably have less of an understanding of the game) who have no idea what the hell is going on......why sit through a 3 hour game when you can go to any park or patio with your friends and basically do the exact same thing, minus the wasted time to watch the game.....this will fail.....

football is a difficult sport to understand, so unless you're already into it, getting new people on board is not easy......the deal is much different in the US.....its part of the culture there and boys and girls are brought up on it from a very young age, and exposed to it a lot more in high school, college, etc.....

C.Ronaldo
06-03-2016, 01:36 PM
$4 dollar piss beer isnt so bad, but thats gonna add up fast if your there all day

that video makes me wanna puke though.

would it be wrong to get a few parking spots, kick the soccer ball around and make portuguese churico on my bbq?

GBV
06-03-2016, 01:39 PM

Well at least they kept it real and hired a group who look like a typical beer-drinking, football- and tailgate-loving crew.
:o:o

Pint
06-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Also who the hell has cornhole (bean bag toss) board around here?

OgtheDim
06-03-2016, 06:51 PM
$4 for a Coors Light is $6 too much. I'd take a Steamwhistle for free though. I think those are not actors but a dance pack.

Mind you......not as bad as the Bump It girls who "love the soccah!" from about 5 years ago. Now that was cheesy.

eustacchio
06-03-2016, 08:36 PM
$4 for a Coors Light is $6 too much. I'd take a Steamwhistle for free though. I think those are not actors but a dance pack.

Mind you......not as bad as the Bump It girls who "love the soccah!" from about 5 years ago. Now that was cheesy.

Well, they definitely weren't good actors.