PDA

View Full Version : V Cup Semi Game 1 - The Land of Hope for All Who Toil - Impact @ TFC Wed June 1 730

Pages : [1] 2

OgtheDim
05-28-2016, 09:08 PM
FWIW,

Manning has said this is important.

Vanney has said its important.

Have at it people

reggie
05-28-2016, 09:11 PM
can we use tfc 2 players for that game?

Pint
05-28-2016, 09:13 PM
From what I have seen you can use upto 6 usl/Academy players in the event. They are signed to 4 days tryout contracts to a max of 4 times a year.

I would be surprised to see anyone other than Edward's be apart of the team. Maybe see Q get a start

Lennon
05-28-2016, 09:59 PM
We're weak enough as it is missing 3 DP's. No reason to hold anyone back when the next league games is in 2 weeks.

This is probably our last chance to see Giovinco play CCL football.

Red CB Toronto
05-28-2016, 10:02 PM
From what I have seen you can use upto 6 usl/Academy players in the event. They are signed to 4 days tryout contracts to a max of 4 times a year.

I would be surprised to see anyone other than Edward's be apart of the team. Maybe see Q get a start

Well will definately see one of the backup GK, Alex or Q.

Pint
05-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Well will definately see one of the backup GK, Alex or Q.

If we start Bono I will lose my mind... less talented and well not Canadian, but mainly I've never seen him show he wasn't a waste of a draft pick.

Red CB Toronto
05-28-2016, 10:27 PM
If we start Bono I will lose my mind... less talented and well not Canadian, but mainly I've never seen him show he wasn't a waste of a draft pick.

Till we really see either of them play we are completely sure what the Reds have. GK's take time to develop in a lot of cases. Bono was an All-American in college , Q was signed in a panic after the Frei injury before it was deemed he was not first team ready, thus Freddie Hall was signed. These two basically are the same age and were on different development paths.

Q was commited to a small D2 school in the U.S. before the Reds signed him in the above mentioned panic.

It even took Andre Blake a few seasons to find his footing and grab the starting job for the Union.

Pint
05-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Till we really see either of them play we are completely sure what the Reds have. GK's take time to develop in a lot of cases. Bono was an All-American in college , Q was signed in a panic after the Frei injury before it was deemed he was not first team ready, thus Freddie Hall was signed. These two basically are the same age and were on different development paths.

Q was commited to a small D2 school in the U.S. before the Reds signed him in the above mentioned panic.

It even took Andre Blake a few seasons to find his footing and grab the starting job for the Union.

We have both watched a fair amount of TFC 2 over the past year and a half. I think it's fair to say Q deserves the shot much more than Bono.

shwade
05-29-2016, 03:50 AM
Don't start Seba even if he isn't injured. We're going to drive him out of this league with the trash we expect him to make magic from.

Mateo1985
05-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Watching this game from 219 with my colleagues. I agree we might not wanna start Giovinco for this one

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2016, 10:50 AM
I remember 2 games ago when I thought this match was going to be ours to lose. Now it's a hope for the best. They're on a complete high. We are not.

bigredone
05-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Feel oddly indifferent about this series for this year. I usually call for total war and want no quarter given. I guess it is not ours to lose so that matters or perhaps preventing Montreal from winning the league/shield is more important. Let them commit to concacaf cl again.

OgtheDim
05-30-2016, 07:12 AM
I suspect we play the starters except for Q in net and somebody in instead of Moor.

Cas87
05-30-2016, 08:24 AM
I have a feeling the line-up will be like this:

------------------------------------------- ROBERTS -------------------------------------------------

-------- BLOOM ----------------- WILLIAMS ------- ZAVALETA ---------- MORGAN ---------------

----------------------------------------- CHEYROU --------------------------------------------------

-------- DELGADO --------------------- OSORIO ------------------------ CHAPMAN ---------------

--------------------------- ENDOH ------------------- BABOULI ---------------------------------

Then on the bench we will probably reward some of the T2 guys (Raheem Edwards, Skyler Thomas), then the usuals: IRWIN, LOVITZ, HAGGLUND, MORROW, HAMILTON

Its seems like Wednesday may be interesting and terrifying all at the same time.

Areathrasher
05-30-2016, 09:26 AM
Count Drew Moor out. His wife is having a baby today.

Yohan
05-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Count Drew Moor out. His wife is having a baby today.
that would explain why he was so shit last game. I'd be a little distracted if my wife is about to have a baby any second

reggie
05-30-2016, 11:04 AM
no he is jus another ave cb we have on our squad,not much better then zava or williams.

AdamAM
05-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Why no Seba? thought the injury was not a big deal but maybe I'm not remembering something correctly

Cas87
05-30-2016, 01:10 PM
^^
Vanney said no big deal, but that they would still be re-evaluating until today. If he is even a little bit sore after some training, they would still hold him out (I would believe)

Leedsoronto
05-30-2016, 01:27 PM
You are all presuming Montreal will field their #1 team, maybe they won't ?

Joe Kool
05-30-2016, 02:05 PM
You are all presuming Montreal will field their #1 team, maybe they won't ?

I don't think we would field our number one team even if all were healthy and not away on nat team duty. Montreal will do the same. It will be a game between the two teams of mostly bench players I think. The second game will be where more first team players will be played if needed to try to secure a win. Seems to be the M.O. for this round of the VCup each year.

Lennon
05-30-2016, 02:38 PM
This has to be the only league in the world where Champions League qualifiers are played with reserves.

Red CB Toronto
05-30-2016, 02:43 PM
With the Reds preparing today for Wednesday's match vs. Montreal, the USMNT have a day off out in California giving The General a chance to go for a stroll with teammates Brad Guzan and Jermaine Jones at Valley Fair Mall in San Jose.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13312609_958469637348_6280745985269103931_n.jpg?oh =1271b6bf53431c39aaa7013cf69f05e6&oe=57E2C487

Oldtimer
05-30-2016, 02:57 PM
This has to be the only league in the world where Champions League qualifiers are played with reserves.

League MX does the same.

The problem is with timing. Hopefully CONCACAF will change the schedule to something more sensible, now that a Canadian is in charge.

Ivy
05-30-2016, 03:19 PM
With the Reds preparing today for Wednesday's match vs. Montreal, the USMNT have a day off out in California giving The General a chance to go for a stroll with teammates Brad Guzan and Jermaine Jones at Valley Fair Mall in San Jose.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13312609_958469637348_6280745985269103931_n.jpg?oh =1271b6bf53431c39aaa7013cf69f05e6&oe=57E2C487
omg that's an awesome photo! Did you take it???

Lennon
05-30-2016, 03:25 PM
League MX does the same.

The problem is with timing. Hopefully CONCACAF will change the schedule to something more sensible, now that a Canadian is in charge.

They qualify through their league though. Sure they play reserves in the group stage once they're in the tournament, but we still need to qualify.

Red CB Toronto
05-30-2016, 04:41 PM

No, it can across a facebook group page.

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2016, 05:50 PM

Looking past how crappy that photo is I suppose we should thank you for reminding how our team is hurting because of that shitty tournament.

I won't waste my ire hoping the US goes out as soon as possible because that would mean paying attention to the US host invitational.

Greatest Ripoff
05-31-2016, 06:32 AM
It would be great if Edwards got a start.

DeRo2015
05-31-2016, 11:11 AM
http://toronto-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/2016-StartingXI-060116.png

Stress
05-31-2016, 11:19 AM
I might eat my words but there's no way any of the TFC 2 guys without a first team contract start on Wednesday. They'll make the bench and be subs at best. The above line up looks likely but I'd expect Zavaleta instead of Moor if he's healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a different formation too. If the above line up holds true, I worry about Osorio and Chapman in the centre as they are both a little too soft and attack minded to achieve a good balance in the middle.

Initial B
05-31-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm getting a park-the-bus vibe from this formation. I think vanney is looking to keep it scoreless at home, then win on away goals.

Richard
05-31-2016, 12:34 PM
That predicted midfield looks horrendous, we're going to get eaten alive if Montreal takes this game seriously.

Areathrasher
05-31-2016, 12:46 PM
It'll be Cheyrou and Osorio in midfield i'd wager given Cheyrou's comments today

notthesun
05-31-2016, 01:02 PM
As per Larson, Brian James, Malik Johnson and Chris Mannella will be in the squad for this.

Real shame that Edwards is injured as he's been TFC II's best player and looks most ready to step up to MLS level. I'd like to see Mannella start though, maybe move Osorio to the left and have Mannella and Cheyrou in the middle.

hulkrogan
05-31-2016, 01:27 PM
It'll be Cheyrou and Osorio in midfield i'd wager given Cheyrou's comments today

Very glad to hear it. Without Bradley, we need someone calm on the ball to move it out of the back.

Now PLEASE just at least make this close so I'm at least getting a meaningful game out of my 4.5 hour flight to Montreal next week :p

Red CB Toronto
05-31-2016, 02:03 PM
As per another of Kurt's tweets.

GIOVINCO UPDATE: Grade 1 adductor strain. Won't start tomorrow. Could make bench, though. So, nothing serious at this point. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash)

Areathrasher
05-31-2016, 02:43 PM
From Sir Neil Davidson

Toronto showed a new-look lineup in practice Tuesday with Cheyrou playing holding midfielder in front of a backline of Ashtone Morgan, Nick Hagglund, Eriq Zavaleta and Steven Beitashour. Striker Jordan Hamilton was up front with a midfield of Mo Babouli, Jonathan Osorio, Marky Delgado and Jay Chapman.
Starting centre back Drew Moor is a question mark after his wife gave birth Tuesday morning. Giovinco did not train with the main team in the portion of practice open to the media.

On Montreal absences

Injuries and international absences have forced Impact coach Mauro Biello to dig into his roster.
Montreal will likely field a makeshift backline with Laurent Ciman (Belgium) and Ambroise Oyongo (Cameroon) away on international duty and Victor Cabrera and Donny Toia both injured.
Midfelders Marco Donadel and Calum Mallace are also injured. Backup Erik Kronberg will start in goal.
"To me it's a very important game," Biello said. "(Didier) Drogba will be available. The fact that we're not playing league games gives me the flexibility to use a player like Drogba.
"It's important, there's no doubt. We know what this could bring and that's our mentality going into these games."
Influential playmaker Ignacio Piatti is also available for the Impact.

Pint
05-31-2016, 02:49 PM
Piatti and Drogba vs that back line could make for a rough evening.

ronzilla
05-31-2016, 03:32 PM
Giovinco is on the bench and could come on late in the game.

OgtheDim
05-31-2016, 03:50 PM
TSN 4 and MLS live for the broadcast.

ryan
05-31-2016, 07:33 PM
We're playing to win with that lineup, lets have it. I fucking miss Champs League.

I don't know how any of you can't absolutely gush at the thought of being the first MLS, before the American clubs, to win that god damn trophy. I WANT IT.

Lennon
05-31-2016, 09:58 PM
We're playing to win with that lineup, lets have it. I fucking miss Champs League.

I don't know how any of you can't absolutely gush at the thought of being the first MLS, before the American clubs, to win that god damn trophy. I WANT IT.

+1

To those that want to start our rookies in this game .. that's just baffling to me. You're willing to sacrifice a Cup and a spot in the CCL for what, so a few young guys can get 90 minutes of experience? That's what the USL is for, and the only guy down there that's earned senior minutes is Edwards.

Why should we rest our starters? We don't have a league game for 2 weeks!

spe18
05-31-2016, 10:43 PM
TSN 4 and MLS live for the broadcast.

Of course, MLS live likely for American viewers only :)

MightyDM
06-01-2016, 06:42 AM
+1

To those that want to start our rookies in this game .. that's just baffling to me. You're willing to sacrifice a Cup and a spot in the CCL for what, so a few young guys can get 90 minutes of experience? That's what the USL is for, and the only guy down there that's earned senior minutes is Edwards.

Agreed. And that line up above is essentially our starters right now, certainly in midfield and forward. And for the good of the club, Hagglund and Morgan need minutes.

KurtLarSUN
06-01-2016, 07:57 AM
+1

By my count, I'm expecting TFC to start no more than three or four everyday starters. Tonight's squad will be young. Hamilton will get his shot.

Pint
06-01-2016, 07:59 AM
By my count, I'm expecting TFC to start no more than three or four everyday starters. Tonight's squad will be young. Hamilton will get his shot.

Osorio, Delgado, Moor/beit, Irwin?

If we are going young i would like to see Q given the start

KurtLarSUN
06-01-2016, 08:02 AM
Osorio, Delgado, Moor/beit, Irwin?

If we are going young i would like to see Q given the start

My projected lineup is in today's Sun if you pass by one...

Pint
06-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Who still buys news papers?

Red CB Toronto
06-01-2016, 08:31 AM

Buy one everyday,I am still one of those people who like to have it in my hand.

Lennon
06-01-2016, 08:52 AM

That blows. Sounds like this line up will be weaker than the one in Montreal last year .. we were lucky to escape with a 1-0 loss there.

C.Ronaldo
06-01-2016, 08:59 AM

:/ I would have assumed living in Italy gave MB better fashion sense. Where's going, to a funeral in new mexico?

SirBobSaget
06-01-2016, 09:01 AM
I really hope that the strongest possible lineup is fielded. No rotation just for the sake of it.

Brucey
06-01-2016, 09:04 AM

Who still reads Larson is the real question.

Pint
06-01-2016, 09:06 AM

People who want to keep up with the latest media inspired controversy, that's who.

TFC Tifoso
06-01-2016, 09:07 AM

Buy one everyday,I am still one of those people who like to have it in my hand.

Same here....I buy the Sun daily, and for the same reason...that and often while going through it, I'll come up on a piece that I may not read otherwise if I go online just to see specific sections.....

Cashcleaner
06-01-2016, 09:55 AM

It's a depleted roster with the exclusion of Bradley, Altidore, Gio, and others; but it's not like we're aiming low here if that's the roster Vanney fields.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2016, 10:05 AM

People who want to keep up with the latest media inspired controversy, that's who.

Well we're all reading him in here.

Play nice, Gents.

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Game Day. Enjoy tonight people.

Sent from a Cafe in Lower Town of Old Quebec City

Hopefully I can get MLS Live to work tonight. Otherwise it's twitter and here for my updates.

Hoping for a 2-0 win.

Oldtimer
06-01-2016, 10:21 AM
I think whoever scores first will win.

Joe Kool
06-01-2016, 12:39 PM
I think they needed to do a promotion night to get more people out to these VCup games going by past years attendance. I have the feeling there will be a sparse crowd tonight especially with so many absences on our team. Other stadiums do it on the weekday games or when a low turnout is expected. They could do $2 hot dogs up until kickoff or some kind of deal like that. Give away some more tshirts or collectibles. Something. Much better when the stadium is more full at kickoff. Looking forward to seeing a decent game tonight still with who we have left.

C.Ronaldo
06-01-2016, 01:39 PM
I think they needed to do a promotion night to get more people out to these VCup games going by past years attendance. I have the feeling there will be a sparse crowd tonight especially with so many absences on our team. Other stadiums do it on the weekday games or when a low turnout is expected. They could do $2 hot dogs up until kickoff or some kind of deal like that. Give away some more tshirts or collectibles. Something. Much better when the stadium is more full at kickoff. Looking forward to seeing a decent game tonight still with who we have left.

im down for $2 hotdogs.....mmmm mystery meat

InSuL1nImP
06-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Dollar beer night toonie dirty dogs with a free giovinco jersey. Sure to be a sell out :yum::drinking::cheers::coolgleam:

SoccMan2
06-01-2016, 03:49 PM
I think maybe 8000 if they are lucky but will announce 21000 lol, a combination of many people are starting to figure out this team may be the same old crappy team like every other year with the crappy last set of bad home game results and last Saturday's massacre in New Jersey. The Voyageur Cup is just a hard sell, weeknight game, many players missing and the Jays are on a bit of a hot streak playing the Yankees down the street, and you got yourself a formula for a friends and family kind of crowd.

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 03:54 PM
I think it'll be 15000 with the top east looking sparse.

But, it will still be loud as anyone choosing to go to this game really cares.

Auzzy
06-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Personally I believe that whoever scores the most goals will win.

flatpicker
06-01-2016, 05:09 PM

Pass the Kool-Aid around buddy,
You on the crazy sauce!

notthesun
06-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Jordan Hamilton alert!!!

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/738135600121843712

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/738136065437896709

notthesun
06-01-2016, 05:40 PM
https://twitter.com/impactmontreal/status/738135865113747459

Weak back line for the Impact but that attack... yikes

PizzaEatingYeti
06-01-2016, 06:05 PM
It's beyond me why the fuck we're playing with the reserve team.
After the shitshow in the last 4 games this should've been a statement game, to beat Montreal with a score which almost warrants to qualify further.

But no we play some reserves. Why, because they do the same?
I don't fucking care, this competition is more important to me than being a super typical 500 team in MLS this year.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Stream:

http://giostreams.eu/19.html

:facepalm: playing with reserves!
fuck! fuck! fuck! fuck! fukkity-fukk!

I need to do something with myself not to smash something, I'm too upset!

SirBobSaget
06-01-2016, 06:35 PM
I was upset too at first seeing the starting 11. But then besides Perquis who else can start? Moor and Morrow can probably due with a rest. The squad depth is awful.

Leedsoronto
06-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Montreal fielding a "we want to win this today" team, hmm !!

We look sharp to start

Hamilton_Red
06-01-2016, 06:47 PM
So ....not so much. Montreal starts Deogba, Piatti, Oduro...

FWIW,

Manning has said this is important.

Vanney has said its important.

Have at it people

portu
06-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Like how hamilton always looks ready to shoot when he gets the ball

RealG-TFC
06-01-2016, 06:56 PM
We cant just keep running at them, there's still 80 minutes left.

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 06:56 PM
A little too quick to hoof the ball right now.

Goaaaal

portu
06-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Brilliant Morgan cross with Hamilton taking up the central defenders attention and Osorio holding his run

SydneyFC
06-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Stream:

http://giostreams.eu/19.html

:facepalm: playing with reserves!
fuck! fuck! fuck! fuck! fukkity-fukk!

I need to do something with myself not to smash something, I'm too upset!

Fuck! Work blocked the website.

Any one got other websites?

Jack
Oso!

The Toronto boy comes through (and finally misses the keeper on a scoring chance).

RealG-TFC
What a boost that'll be for Osorio finally getting a goal, against MTL no less.

Yohan
06-01-2016, 06:59 PM
It might be because it's against Mtl or trying to make an impression for more game mins, but TFC reserves is playing with a lot of hunger to win

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:00 PM
http://166.78.107.228/images/styles/AnimatedArena/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Oldtimer http://166.78.107.228/images/styles/AnimatedArena/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://166.78.107.228/showthread.php?p=1798043#post1798043)

Hopefully you're both right!!!!! g:D

notthesun
06-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Osorio needed that. Good to see.

Jack
06-01-2016, 07:03 PM
It might be because it's against Mtl or trying to make an impression for more game mins, but TFC reserves is playing with a lot of hunger to win
I was just going to say that. The kids are going for it out there.

notthesun
06-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Cheyrou's been out so long I forgot how much I missed him. He's the definition of smooth.

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Nice tackle by Beitashour

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:08 PM

The "reserves" are looking really great (hungry actually), I see what you're seeing here at the moment. Hopefully being young, they can keep the foot on the pedal for the entire 90.

SoccMan2
06-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Looks like BMO is getting ready for Friday night and the fucking Argos, look at all the blue in the north end! RIP BMO Field as a soccer stadium.

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Stadium has filled up nicely. Way more attending than I expected.

From the ACC games that I remember attending its a huge improvement on ~5,000 attendance.

Jack
06-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Cheyrou's been out so long I forgot how much I missed him. He's the definition of smooth.

Nice tackle by Beitashour

The "reserves" are looking really great (hungry actually), I see what you're seeing here at the moment. Hopefully being young, they can keep the foot on the pedal for the entire 90.
Lots of interesting performances over the first 30. Let's see how things go for the next hour, but so far, these guys are showing urgency and playing like they want to win. Beitashour looks better than he has in about three matches.

ag futbol
06-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Lucky not to get called there when he dragged Piatti back

Osorio!! Hopefully this helps his confidence a bit. Babouli is putting in lots of good passes.

Jack
06-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Who are you and what have you done with Jonathan Osorio? Did Osorio steal Altidore's finishing skills?

Leedsoronto
06-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Montreal look disjointed and TFC taking full advantage of it whoop whoop !!

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:20 PM
A legend is born?!?

SoccMan2
06-01-2016, 07:21 PM
But Osorio not good enough for our sad sacked national team, because an imported coach who in the end was not good enough to coach in Spain knows better.

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:22 PM
PLEASE DON'T PARK THE BUS!

This is working.

CBTFC
06-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Piatti & Drogba playing, and we're up on 2 goals from Osorio.

Giovinco who?!?

;)

ag futbol
06-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Lol at linesman to Lovitz on the corner "you have 3 seconds"

This is rec league you loser.

Jack
06-01-2016, 07:24 PM
But Osorio not good enough for our sad sacked national team, because an imported coach who in the end was not good enough to coach in Spain knows better.
The CSA...

Hamilton_Red
06-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Young lads playing well and motivated today. Morgan has become an excellent crosser of the ball - he is the most reliable crossed we've had in a while. 2-0 for Ottawa as well...nice!

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:29 PM
It's raining to! All signs are pointing to "something" :drum:

Jack
06-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Bernier you fucking idiot.

notthesun
06-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Christ Lovitz, yell at him if you want but don't go pushing him. I thought he was going to get himself sent off too.

That looked really bad, kind of reminded me of Bloom on Johnson a few years back, thankfully no one was injured. I honestly couldn't really tell how bad it was on Bernier's part.

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:34 PM
No fear going forward boys!!! NO FEAR!

Yohan
06-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Bury a third goal and don't give up a stupid away goal

CBTFC
06-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Yeah, going in like that was really stupid and unnecessary. What was he thinking?!

portu
06-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Only change I can think of making at all to this XI so far is Hamilton for MJ and thats only because Hamilton looks a little tired already

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 07:38 PM
We want at least 3 cause I think they are going to get a stupid penalty from Gantar.

Already been some weird calls.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-01-2016, 07:41 PM
WOW, Lovitz is very lucky not getting a yellow, AT LEAST.
Of course, we're happy with this, but just shows that the referee is street league level. :facepalm:

OgtheDim
And the other home team in the Voyageurs is also up 2-0.

Alonso
Who are you and what have you done with Jonathan Osorio? Did Osorio steal Altidore's finishing skills?

When Oso was occasionally part of the main offensive plans playing the 10 on the worst team in the world in 2013 he did alright with 5 goals and several assists.

The team seems to be focusing on him as creator as a team plan again today.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-01-2016, 07:42 PM
And the other home team in the Voyageurs is also up 2-0.
Man, how awesome would be a Toronto-Ottawa final? g:D :drinking:

Greatest Ripoff
06-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Would like to see Johnson for Lovitz at some point.

Jack
06-01-2016, 07:47 PM
When Oso was occasionally part of the main offensive plans playing the 10 on the worst team in the world in 2013 he did alright with 5 goals and several assists.

The team seems to be focusing on him as creator as a team plan again today.
It's not that he hasn't been good in other games, but he's putting his chances away, which he hasn't done this season.

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:51 PM
It's not that he hasn't been good in other games, but he's putting his chances away, which he hasn't done this season.

I think he's playing in his natural position today for the first time in a long while which helps.

But yeah he's had plenty of chances this year.

He's getting his due at the moment... playing the game he prefers and producing!

So glad for the man.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-01-2016, 07:54 PM
If Seba would be playing, he would bury this 10 men Montreal with at least 2 more goals...

Alonso
06-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Maintain the press!!!! I like!

Hamilton_Red
06-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Johnson is on international duty no?

Hamilton_Red
06-01-2016, 08:01 PM
As well as we are playing overall - Baboulli and Hamilton not looking particularly impressive.

portu
06-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Jhams

T-boy
06-01-2016, 08:02 PM
As well as we are playing overall - Baboulli and Hamilton not looking particularly impressive.

You were saying?! :p

notthesun
06-01-2016, 08:03 PM
That's fucking huge for Hamilton. What a header from Babouli. Beautiful goal.

Hamilton_Red
I hereby claim responsibility for that goal ! WTG Jordan!

Yohan
That's the talent Hamilton has... what a striker's finish

ag futbol
Man babouli's play off the other striker is pretty damn good. I think he's been solid.

Has turned way more passes into goal scoring opportunities than anyone else, by far.

T-boy
06-01-2016, 08:04 PM
I hereby claim responsibility for that goal ! WTG Jordan!

Go on, say somebody else is having a poor game.... :)

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 08:04 PM
The 3 touches before Hamilton got that were sublime.

Put them to the sword boys.

Smokecell
06-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Brilliant finish for Hamilton. Babouli's creativity on display. Great advert for the academy

portu
06-01-2016, 08:06 PM
After tonight I'm definetly more okay with our depth up top, still need to add a player but very happy

Alonso
06-01-2016, 08:06 PM
I WANT 5-0!

Keep pressing!

Jack
06-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Wow. I'm so happy for the kid. Hamilton really needed that.

What a little touch header by Babouli for that setup!

Leedsoronto
06-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Canadian players ripping it up in a Canadian cup game who would have thought that !!! :@)

Jack
06-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Hamilton getting into dangerous places again. I'm enjoying his movement.

ag futbol
06-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Hamilton getting into dangerous places again. I'm enjoying his movement.
I don't know. He's had 4-5 incredibly solid chances and got a hold of one.

Credit to the guys getting those balls in.

Jack
06-01-2016, 08:12 PM
I don't know. He's had 4-5 incredibly solid chances and got a hold of one.

Credit to the guys getting those balls in.
Like I said, he's getting into dangerous places with good movement. He hasn't finished all of his chances, but sometimes, with a striker, getting that first one is what you need.

Leedsoronto
06-01-2016, 08:14 PM
"Diddee turn up Drogba" getting no service

PizzaEatingYeti
06-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Oh no... no Chapman....

ag futbol
06-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Well played. Very composed there.

Jack
06-01-2016, 08:23 PM
Wow. Hamilton taking that one like a fucking champ.

Alonso
06-01-2016, 08:23 PM
OK fuck that!

I WANT 6-0!

portu
06-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Hamilton deserves to start the next MLS game

notthesun
06-01-2016, 08:25 PM
All right I'm hopping back on the Jay Hams hype train. That dummy was fire

Smokecell
06-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Hamilton's composure tonight both excites and surprises me, in a good way of course.

Yohan
06-01-2016, 08:30 PM
some TFC esque defending there. fell asleep

Hamilton_Red
06-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Well that went bad in a hurry!

Yohan
06-01-2016, 08:34 PM
I frigging knew that was going to happen on that free kick

Jack
06-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Drogba doesn't need 90 minutes to change a game.

ag futbol
06-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Still a good result, but man some lax defending at the end.

Nice to see some players find the score sheet.

DSouzaZ
06-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Vanney is an idiot for taking off Cheyrou. Both goals were because we didn't have a DM on the field.

notthesun
06-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Well, Drogba finally showed up. He's automatic from that distance.

Real shame we couldn't hold on but still a good result.

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 08:39 PM
I'd much rather be us than them in all this.

They win 2-0 or 3-1, then this will be annoying.

But, just as likely we score on them more than once.

Leedsoronto
06-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Is it good enough?

Why we not have Mannella as a sub, (not even on bench WTF) he plays a holding mid, may have been a more intelligent sub IMO

Yohan
06-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Vanney is an idiot for taking of Cheyrou. Both goals were because we didn't have a DM on the field.
Cheyrou was gassed out. Just returning from injury and not 100% match fit

RealG-TFC
06-01-2016, 08:41 PM
No DPs, we got the monkey off Oso's back and Hamilton scored.

It could have ended 4-3 and i'd still be happy.

Jack
06-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Well, four goals are a great showing from our subs, but we need to get something on the road next week. Montreal put away two huge away goals, which took a lot of the pressure off them.

Still, there are many positives to take away from tonight.

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Reminder. Johnson is back next week.

SoccMan2
06-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Well all Montreal needs now is a 2-0 result at home, pretty good odds Montreal can get that not out of the question, too many changes at the end, all on Vanney at the end.

Red CB Toronto
06-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Good to see also that Ottawa came away with 2-0 victory tonight in their first leg vs. Vancouver.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-01-2016, 08:44 PM
If we won't play with the best available team next week we'll be toast.

SKB
06-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Taking out Cheyrou was a difficult decision but we were up a man and that was Cheyrou's first game of the year. Both goals involved our right back who after a good start to the season is starting to look like a problem. On Montreal's first goal he just pulled up and let the guy run on to the ball and he had a free header. On the second goal he gives up the hand ball free kick. We are not nearly as tight on defence any more. The league has now figured our weakness and the other teams are exploiting it.

notthesun
06-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Reminder. Johnson is back next week.

And Giovinco.

We'll be fine.

DSouzaZ
06-01-2016, 09:01 PM
I should've specified, or atleast replacing him with a DM, given his situation. Drogba had too much time in both those situations in the hole where the DM should be.

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Uh Beitashour had a few great saving tackles and pretty much kept Piatti quiet all game.

As others have said, those last two goals were due to a lack of a DM and Drogba.

OgtheDim
06-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Well all Montreal needs now is a 2-0 result at home, pretty good odds Montreal can get that not out of the question, too many changes at the end, all on Vanney at the end.

We win 4-2 playing our kids against their DPs and......we get vintage Toronto sports opinions.

Their defence without Ciman is bad. We will have all our normal back 5 available and ready to go.

We will have Cheyrou and Johnson available.

We will have Seba.

We are as likely to score 2 as give up 2.

Remember, we score 1, they have to score 3.

We score 2, they have to score 4.

If we somehow score 3,they have to score 6.

Much rather be us.

portu
06-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Hamilton scored both with his left? Nice

ensco
06-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Report from the Ottawa-Vancouver game.

Shocked at how poorly Vancouver played, Ottawa was full value for the win, and really could/should have had one or two more. They did it without de Jong or JDG. With ease. Vancouver sat Manneh and Romero until they were down, but they didn't do much when they came on.

Jonny Steele is in Ottawa and dominated the game. Check out his goal. I don't get why this guy isn't able to stick in MLS. He sure has been a dominant player in Champions League, I remember him killing us years ago when he played in Puerto Rico.

Ottawa fans don't understand soccer much - there was confusion all around me about how extra time worked, and, amusingly, every ball that went into the crowd turned into a tussle, fans think they get to keep them like at a hockey game.

There is a lot of potential here. Nice stadium. Energetic little supporters group (they have one song, "We got the Fury, we got the Fury, we got the Fury, here we go", sung over and over to the tune of "We're not going to take it".)

I have new found respect for NASL soccer. The gap between MLS and NASL isn't huge.

Makes me wonder about a Canadian league someday.

It's a great day when TFC win and Montreal and Vancouver lose.

Lennon
06-01-2016, 09:21 PM
It's a good result considering the lineup we played, but really hard to swallow in the end. We basically had it wrapped up at 4-0. To be up a man and let in 2 goals in the last 10 minutes is very dissapointing.

Having said that, if we play our best possible lineup next week we have a good chance of getting a result. I hope Vanney doesn't get cocky fielding the C team again.

ManUtd4ever
06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Disappointing finish to an otherwise tremendous performance by our youngsters.

Gotta put in a really solid effort next week to wrap this up now.

Red4ever
06-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Hard to watch us leave that door open.

Not sure why we thought we needed 5. At least we know we better come out offensively in a week.

Also, Bernier is an ass. Embarassed I share a passport cover with him.

noimpactinmtl
06-01-2016, 09:40 PM
It's a good result considering the lineup we played, but really hard to swallow in the end. We basically had it wrapped up at 4-0. To be up a man and let in 2 goals in the last 10 minutes is very dissapointing.

Having said that, if we play our best possible lineup next week we have a good chance of getting a result. I hope Vanney doesn't get cocky fielding the C team again.

Its good character building for the youngsters?

DinamoTFC
06-01-2016, 09:55 PM
We win 4-2 playing our kids against their DPs and......we get vintage Toronto sports opinions.

Their defence without Ciman is bad. We will have all our normal back 5 available and ready to go.

We will have Cheyrou and Johnson available.

We will have Seba.

We are as likely to score 2 as give up 2.

Remember, we score 1, they have to score 3.

We score 2, they have to score 4.

If we somehow score 3,they have to score 6.

Much rather be us.
I hope so, I needed to read some optimism.

I went into this game thinking it would be really tough for us to get anything based on our reserves and mtl's first team attack.

Then the boys showed up and played with heart, passion, proving their worth and taking their chances. It was a great display for 85 minutes.
Osorio, Hamilton, Babouli, Cheyrou, Morgan and Hagglund (shut down drogba aerially with his massive hops) all had a stellar game.
I was in euphoria. It was guaranteed we were going to the finals.

Then the last 5 minutes happened, Vanney put on 2 more youngsters who I dont think were ready and it was just too many reserves-maybe he has his reasons.
Then we were backpeddaling and let in 2 costly goals, very costly goals. 2-0 would have been much better than 4-2. I could have lived with 3-1 but 4-2 is a hard bite to swallow.

Bittersweet feeling right now. Very happy for that brave performance the kids brought out as a team. Bitter because I truly feel like its 50/50 next game. Mtl can win 2-0 at home and we can be out on aggregate. I wanted to have a relaxing week but now all tense for next wednesday. I hope we pull it off, I really want to get back to the CCL.

Ivy
06-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Vanneys training week will be all 100% quick counter attacking football. TFC will bunker deep, and try to break out on turn overs.
2-2 final. You heard it here first.

ManUtd4ever
06-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Vanneys training week will be all 100% quick counter attacking football. TFC will bunker deep, and try to break out on turn overs.

I hope you're right. A 2-1 loss would be just fine as well.

Auzzy
06-01-2016, 10:10 PM
http://166.78.107.228/images/styles/AnimatedArena/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Oldtimer http://166.78.107.228/images/styles/AnimatedArena/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://166.78.107.228/showthread.php?p=1798043#post1798043)

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/styles/AnimatedArena/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Auzzy http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/styles/AnimatedArena/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?p=1798109#post1798109)

Hopefully you're both right!!!!! g:D

Uncanny predictions, eh?

Yohan
06-01-2016, 10:16 PM
It's hard not to be frustrated coughing up 2 late goals like that. But let's face the fact. We would all have been delighted with a 4-2 win before the game started and after seeing the line up.

It was a fantastic performance till about 85 min mark. I hope that the kids learned the hard lesson today. Soccer is a 90min game and you cannot afford to slack off for one second.

JamboAl
06-01-2016, 10:27 PM
Ensco: Good insights and agree with much you've said; I was also at the match although Ottawa is where I live.

My two cents: Jonny Steele has shown very little this season. This game was unusual in that he did very well which I didn't expect. Also the energetic little supporters group is actually two distinct ones and I can tell you, there are many more songs than what you've quoted, including a few in French (this is a bilingual city after all). As for the fans not understanding soccer much, I'd say no more or no less than some of the fans I've heard at BMO Field since Season One. If you go over to Section W, the knowledge would be on par with 112 or 113.

Yohan
06-01-2016, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Vfg6P4ueE

MightyDM
06-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Was at the game, fantastic atmosphere ( although if you are not in the supporters end all you hear is loud noise, not words or songs) ( and why was someone singing O Canada, that's our job) and fantastic to see the performances. I'd single out Cheyrou, Osorio, Morgan, Hagglund, and Hamilton, with Babouli and Lovitz looking pretty good too.

i am very disappointed that Vanney subbed the young guys on, 4-0 or 4-1 was an excellent result and he should have kept things the way they were to ensure the result. Cheyrou yes, he was hurt and this is the first game back, but why Lovitz? It was almost like he didn't care about the Cup. Really too bad. And earlier in the game I was praising him for putting Osorio at 10 and Lovitz on the wing - he did the opposite last game which, predictably, did not work.

After this game, how are they going to keep Morgan out of the starting line up? His crosses were very good and he often marked Drogba, and always well.

jloome
06-01-2016, 10:37 PM

I'd like to put Ivy up against a Hive Mind and see who wins.

I thought they did great tonight. No Drogba, No goals for Montreal. He's been consistently one of the best forwards on the planet for more than a decade.

Hamilton and Babouli both looked good. I don't know that they create that much space against a-grade mls defenses, but Hamilton proved tonight he can create a shot when he needs to and finish well.

Red4ever
06-01-2016, 10:42 PM
4-0 means a more empty stadium too. 4-2 wont be.

Would love to see us bang in a quick one next week. If we score 2, we'll win.

Yohan
06-01-2016, 10:45 PM

I thought they did great tonight. No Drogba, No goals for Montreal. He's been consistently one of the best forwards on the planet for more than a decade.

Hamilton and Babouli both looked good. I don't know that they create that much space against a-grade mls defenses, but Hamilton proved tonight he can create a shot when he needs to and finish well.
it was Mtl's B team on defence

MightyDM
06-01-2016, 10:46 PM

yes. And they played well with the ball too. Most importantly, it was fun!

ensco
06-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Seeing the highlights, I'm impressed. Lots of skill and good combo play on the goals. Although Montreal's marking was atrocious.

The late goals aren't the story, TFC's overall game is the story. Vancouver played their kids and looked like they didn't belong in NASL.

Hamilton_Red
06-01-2016, 11:21 PM
That was far more encouraging a performance than May. Really like Morgan's play - he is a dangerous crosser of the ball. Osario had a great game as well. I thought we were going to get a hiding to be honest. So the result should be satisfying - Drogba left alone with kids is going to do that. Next week we will have Will Johnson and Cheyroux and our starting line up in defence. I'd be tempted to play Morgan on left wing Delgado on the right ..Oso as #10 and Gio in a free attacking roles. That should do the job..play for 0-0 draw and the odd counter attack.

This is a good confidence builder for the youngsters.

jloome
06-01-2016, 11:44 PM
That was far more encouraging a performance than May. Really like Morgan's play - he is a dangerous crosser of the ball. Osario had a great game as well. I thought we were going to get a hiding to be honest. So the result should be satisfying - Drogba left alone with kids is going to do that. Next week we will have Will Johnson and Cheyroux and our starting line up in defence. I'd be tempted to play Morgan on left wing Delgado on the right ..Oso as #10 and Gio in a free attacking roles. That should do the job..play for 0-0 draw and the odd counter attack.

This is a good confidence builder for the youngsters.

Given that Altidore is still out, I think Hamilton earned some time with the first team.

Inklink
06-01-2016, 11:44 PM
Just caught the highlights, the kids looked good!

And that dive by Piatti at the end LOL. Grabbing your face when someone pushes your chest. Typical.

Lennon
06-01-2016, 11:46 PM
Should that late free kick been given? Looked a lot like ball to hand to me. Sigh.

Ivy
06-02-2016, 12:26 AM
it was Mtl's B team on defence
Where's the main players? Ciman gone, where's the rest?

notthesun
06-02-2016, 01:03 AM
i am very disappointed that Vanney subbed the young guys on, 4-0 or 4-1 was an excellent result and he should have kept things the way they were to ensure the result. Cheyrou yes, he was hurt and this is the first game back, but why Lovitz? It was almost like he didn't care about the Cup. Really too bad. And earlier in the game I was praising him for putting Osorio at 10 and Lovitz on the wing - he did the opposite last game which, predictably, did not work.

At 4-0 with 10 minutes left, can you really blame him for giving a couple kids a reward and putting them on? Besides, I don't think his subs had anything to do with Montreal's goals. That was all Drogba. No other player in the league could take down that hopeful long ball like he did and play that pass, and no one else is that automatic on free kicks. He was poor and we were good for the rest of the game, but on those plays, he beat us. Tip your hat and move on IMO.

Hamilton showed his eye for goal today, really happy to see him take his chance because he's struggled recently. I thought Babouli put in another one of his typical performances. He's dangerous around the edge of the box, seems to have a great sense for making that quick move and delivering a killer pass. At times though he struggles deeper in midfield or tries to do too much with the ball. He will improve a lot if he tries to play simpler until he gets into those dangerous areas. Morgan was good as well, I wonder if he sneaks into the eleven next week, though now that it's a defense-first approach given the aggregate score he may not be able to displace Morrow. Lovitz' best game of the year as well.

Tactically, the 4-2-3-1 worked well today. I'm wondering if maybe we should switch to it full time, because it's really the only way to incorporate Cheyrou, who's a luxury player, excellent, but still a luxury. I'm not sure you can safely play him in a diamond or 3 man midfield, he'll get overrun. But now that Bradley is actually dedicated to the DM role, maybe the answer is to play him alongside Bradley as the two in front of the CBs. Assuming a full strength roster, it would mean Altidore plays up top and Giovinco at LAM. Could work. Also allows Osorio to play the #10 role, which is definitely his best position. Johnson would be a bit misplaced at RAM... but given our recent scoring issues if I was Vanney I would really try to come up with a way to get Cheyrou into the team, he just controls things so well with the ball, both with his passing range and his dribbling. That pass he played to Babouli on Hamilton's first goal - pretty sure every other player on our team would have just slid the ball on the ground to Babouli before he made the run, and by the time he got it he probably would have had players on his back. Cheyrou sees the play before it happens.

ag futbol
06-02-2016, 01:38 AM
Watching that replay again of the red card, Gantar is such a clueless boob. Everyone starts getting into it and he just stands there with his card in the air.

By far the worst official out there. Has no idea how to manage a game.

MightyDM
06-02-2016, 05:51 AM
At 4-0 with 10 minutes left, can you really blame him for giving a couple kids a reward and putting them on? Besides, I don't think his subs had anything to do with Montreal's goals. That was all Drogba. No other player in the league could take down that hopeful long ball like he did and play that pass, and no one else is that automatic on free kicks. He was poor and we were good for the rest of the game, but on those plays, he beat us. Tip your hat and move on IMO.

Hamilton showed his eye for goal today, really happy to see him take his chance because he's struggled recently. I thought Babouli put in another one of his typical performances. He's dangerous around the edge of the box, seems to have a great sense for making that quick move and delivering a killer pass. At times though he struggles deeper in midfield or tries to do too much with the ball. He will improve a lot if he tries to play simpler until he gets into those dangerous areas. Morgan was good as well, I wonder if he sneaks into the eleven next week, though now that it's a defense-first approach given the aggregate score he may not be able to displace Morrow. Lovitz' best game of the year as well.

Tactically, the 4-2-3-1 worked well today. I'm wondering if maybe we should switch to it full time, because it's really the only way to incorporate Cheyrou, who's a luxury player, excellent, but still a luxury. I'm not sure you can safely play him in a diamond or 3 man midfield, he'll get overrun. But now that Bradley is actually dedicated to the DM role, maybe the answer is to play him alongside Bradley as the two in front of the CBs. Assuming a full strength roster, it would mean Altidore plays up top and Giovinco at LAM. Could work. Also allows Osorio to play the #10 role, which is definitely his best position. Johnson would be a bit misplaced at RAM... but given our recent scoring issues if I was Vanney I would really try to come up with a way to get Cheyrou into the team, he just controls things so well with the ball, both with his passing range and his dribbling. That pass he played to Babouli on Hamilton's first goal - pretty sure every other player on our team would have just slid the ball on the ground to Babouli before he made the run, and by the time he got it he probably would have had players on his back. Cheyrou sees the play before it happens.

disagree with your first point, agree with the second and third. We were in full control a man and 4-0 up, and lost control of the game when the two TFC II players came on. While the goals immediate cause was Drogba's individual brilliance, you could feel that Montreal had taken over for several minutes before the first one. We had lost our shape and discipline. It's too bad because Morgan, Hamilton, etc deserved to end the game on a high. If it was a league game and all that mattered was the three points, maybe, but in a Cup game with the away goals rule it was a very poor decision to make two unneeded substitutions.

as for the formation, it's a really interesting issue. When Altidore is back you have to play variants of 4-4-2. Would be interesting to see the 4-2-3-1 with Seba on the wing but it is pretty unlikely IMHO because of the defensive responsibilities required.

the first 85 minutes last night were so much fun.

Jpexxx
06-02-2016, 06:22 AM
Should that late free kick been given? Looked a lot like ball to hand to me. Sigh.

To me that 100% gets called because Drogba turned around and demanded it.

BuSaPuNk
06-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Watching that replay again of the red card, Gantar is such a clueless boob. Everyone starts getting into it and he just stands there with his card in the air.

By far the worst official out there. Has no idea how to manage a game.

Was going to tell him that at the bar last night. The whole officiating crew showed up at Joe's last night lol

Initial B
06-02-2016, 07:03 AM
Report from the Ottawa-Vancouver game.

Shocked at how poorly Vancouver played, Ottawa was full value for the win, and really could/should have had one or two more. They did it without de Jong or JDG. With ease. Vancouver sat Manneh and Romero until they were down, but they didn't do much when they came on.

Jonny Steele is in Ottawa and dominated the game. Check out his goal. I don't get why this guy isn't able to stick in MLS. He sure has been a dominant player in Champions League, I remember him killing us years ago when he played in Puerto Rico.

Ottawa fans don't understand soccer much - there was confusion all around me about how extra time worked, and, amusingly, every ball that went into the crowd turned into a tussle, fans think they get to keep them like at a hockey game.

There is a lot of potential here. Nice stadium. Energetic little supporters group (they have one song, "We got the Fury, we got the Fury, we got the Fury, here we go", sung over and over to the tune of "We're not going to take it".)

I have new found respect for NASL soccer. The gap between MLS and NASL isn't huge.

Makes me wonder about a Canadian league someday.

It's a great day when TFC win and Montreal and Vancouver lose.
Hey ensco, where were you sitting at the game? If you were in the north stands, then likely you weren't among the usual fans since its normally only the south stands that are open for the game. You probably saw spectators that came to see what all the fuss was about. The game was pretty heavily advertised on radio so I'm pleased that 9000+ showed up. Hopefully that will continue the upward trend. I get the feeling that the Fury will be an anchor team for giving the new Canadian League legitimacy. Speaking of, I was disappointed that there was no comment from Montigliani at half-time about this supposed league.

Pint
06-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Where's the main players? Ciman gone, where's the rest?

Read the other day that 2 are away with international duty and 2 are injured.

They have no excuses though they put drogba, piatti, oduro and ontivero out and we put Hamilton, Lovitz, Osorio and Babouli.... looking at those two groups it would be hard to say we should outscore them 4-2

Red4ever
06-02-2016, 07:26 AM

Funny, my buddy said the exact same thing.

Joe Kool
06-02-2016, 07:32 AM

It was totally this. Drogba asked for a couple handballs earlier in the game and I noticed a few times in the box he would try to chip the ball up to our defenders arms to get a penalty. He was after Gantar all night and he finally obliged him. There was no whistle until Drogba turned around and screamed at the ref.

ensco
06-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Hey ensco, where were you sitting at the game? If you were in the north stands, then likely you weren't among the usual fans since its normally only the south stands that are open for the game. You probably saw spectators that came to see what all the fuss was about. The game was pretty heavily advertised on radio so I'm pleased that 9000+ showed up. Hopefully that will continue the upward trend. I get the feeling that the Fury will be an anchor team for giving the new Canadian League legitimacy. Speaking of, I was disappointed that there was no comment from Montigliani at half-time about this supposed league.

Section R, north stand.

My comment wasn't fair, the fact that there is a limited soccer culture in Ottawa has nothing to do with the potential, which was very obvious.

MLS caliber stadium, for starters. Well worth the trip if TFC plays Ottawa in the final.

Chevy
06-02-2016, 07:46 AM

That's what it seemed like. Not sure if it was the right or wrong call, but it was made with a healthy dose of intimidation from Drogba.

Detroit_TFC
06-02-2016, 08:01 AM
Can't lie, I expected our B team to get seriously damaged last night. The performance showed a lot of the reserve guys still have the drive to make the most of their opportunities, which is good to see. Can't expect that MTL will be as indifferent as last night at their home leg, though.

Also, given the scoreline, most anyone would have subbed in some newbies. Didn't work out so well but it wasn't bad game management.

MightyDM
06-02-2016, 08:28 AM
I really disagree about the substitution of the newbies. This is a two game series and away goals count extra. The clean sheet was very important. A better sub would have been Morrow for babouli and push Morgan up to the wing. Drogba was trying to play off Morgan all night, I assume because he has the advantage on the long balls. Shore it up for the 4-0 win and then the big advantage going into montreal. If it was a league game, a different story, of course. Poor decision in those circumstances.

zeelaw
06-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Very exciting result but those two goals up a man really sting.

A 2-0 scoreline is technically better for us :(...

TFC Tifoso
06-02-2016, 08:58 AM
don't know if its been mentioned yet, but was so happy to see Morgan wear the armband after Cheyrou was subbed....great stuff for Ashtone!

Mateo1985
06-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Was going to tell him that at the bar last night. The whole officiating crew showed up at Joe's last night lol

Lol for real? Ballsy move

Areathrasher
06-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Was that Dan Lovitz best performance in a TFC jersey last night?

Pint
06-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Was that Dan Lovitz best performance in a TFC jersey last night?

More than likely, really liked that he was cutting in with his left foot from the right. He appears to be more effective going that route that having both him and either morrow or morgan trying to get to the same space to cross.

molenshtain
06-02-2016, 09:37 AM
don't know if its been mentioned yet, but was so happy to see Morgan wear the armband after Cheyrou was subbed....great stuff for Ashtone!

As a fellow NSS alumni, it meant a lot to me. Hope to see him get even more minutes this season. He looked great last night against Piatti, Oduro and Drogba.

C.Ronaldo
06-02-2016, 09:42 AM
More than likely, really liked that he was cutting in with his left foot from the right. He appears to be more effective going that route that having both him and either morrow or morgan trying to get to the same space to cross.

2nd half much more so than the 1st, he seemed to be still figuring things out in the 1st half. But his intensity and confidence were great to see

And babouli is really turning into something special. Its like watching a Dero in the making. Hopefully he can work on his shot accuracy, he really needs that to complete the package

C.Ronaldo
06-02-2016, 09:44 AM
I really disagree about the substitution of the newbies. This is a two game series and away goals count extra. The clean sheet was very important. A better sub would have been Morrow for babouli and push Morgan up to the wing. Drogba was trying to play off Morgan all night, I assume because he has the advantage on the long balls. Shore it up for the 4-0 win and then the big advantage going into montreal. If it was a league game, a different story, of course. Poor decision in those circumstances.

we had starting defence on the bench, there was no reason to put kids in that arent even on the team in this game. Bad coaching move, really bad.

forgot how a sweet of a long pass haglund has too. He has to be worth something in a trade.

Interesting Williams wasnt dressed.

TFC Tifoso
06-02-2016, 09:52 AM
As a fellow NSS alumni, it meant a lot to me. Hope to see him get even more minutes this season. He looked great last night against Piatti, Oduro and Drogba.

yep he had a great game...

Yohan
06-02-2016, 09:58 AM
And babouli is really turning into something special. Its like watching a Dero in the making. Hopefully he can work on his shot accuracy, he really needs that to complete the package

his decision making has greatly improved since his first game. still a little too selfish at times, but the kid has technique and he's starting to figure out his league. He might explode once he gets his first goal. Seems like one of those players that rides on momentum

Ultra & Proud
06-02-2016, 09:59 AM
we had starting defence on the bench, there was no reason to put kids in that arent even on the team in this game. Bad coaching move, really bad.
I'm wasn't too pleased with the 2 late goals but what can you do. It's important to give the kids somewhat important minutes to learn and grow. Stuff like this helps them. That's how young players get real game, not MLS garbage time, experience. And they played well enough to win the match and some showed they may be able to help going forward. If we got blown out in this then I could see the point of complaining about the line up and subs but complaining about winning a match handily with youngsters is classic RPB board fodder.

Let me put it like this; if Montreal started mostly a youth squad plus a couple of vets returning from injury at home against us, with our two DPs like they had yesterday (let's say a forward Altidore & and a Mid Bradley) with Seba injured and we lost 4-2 then Bradley's and Altidore's graves would be dug and the grave markers would be being etched before the players even showered. Vanney would be called out for tactics, player selection, and not playing enough Canadians since they have more 'heart' for this event. Bez would be called out for not addressing squad depth, for not fixing our defensive woes, and for handicapping our squad with contracts for our loser DPs. And lastly MLSE would be called out again for never building a winner at anything and not caring about TFC. Then people would predict the team will fold soon and the stands will be empty by the end of summer, just around the time we fire Vanney, Bez, and everyone and we start over and miss the playoffs again.

Areathrasher
06-02-2016, 10:16 AM
:lol: :lol:

TFC Tifoso
06-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Let me put it like this; if Montreal started mostly a youth squad plus a couple of vets returning from injury at home against us, with our two DPs like they had yesterday (let's say a forward Altidore & and a Mid Bradley) with Seba injured and we lost 4-2 then Bradley's and Altidore's graves would be dug and the grave markers would be being etched before the players even showered. Vanney would be called out for tactics, player selection, and not playing enough Canadians since they have more 'heart' for this event. Bez would be called out for not addressing squad depth, for not fixing our defensive woes, and for handicapping our squad with contracts for our loser DPs. And lastly MLSE would be called out again for never building a winner at anything and not caring about TFC. Then people would predict the team will fold soon and the stands will be empty by the end of summer, just around the time we fire Vanney, Bez, and everyone and we start over and miss the playoffs again.

*slow clap*.......

I'm not thrilled with the 2 late ones either, but this.....oh man this......hammer, nail, head and all that.....

molenshtain
06-02-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm wasn't too pleased with the 2 late goals but what can you do. It's important to give the kids somewhat important minutes to learn and grow. Stuff like this helps them. That's how young players get real game, not MLS garbage time, experience. And they played well enough to win the match and some showed they may be able to help going forward. If we got blown out in this then I could see the point of complaining about the line up and subs but complaining about winning a match handily with youngsters is classic RPB board fodder.

This.

ag futbol
06-02-2016, 10:33 AM
At the end of the day a two goal lead is still a good result. It's just less spectacular than 4-0 or 4-1 which we were close to. We legitimately put out as green of a lineup as we could and came away with the win. Montreal played with pretty close to as good of a team as they have available. You have to give these kids opportunities to learn and remember they got you 4 goals in the first place, rather than simply say "if we rolled up the windows in minute X and went back to the usual suspects" ...

I mean it really takes some balls to critique a 4-2 win where you start a prospect at striker and he bags you his first two professional goals and a guy who is noted for his lack of finishing prowled bags the other two while playing from midfield.

That was a disproportionately good outing, and it saves our players for league play (aka the competition that really matters).

Pint
06-02-2016, 10:33 AM

forgot how a sweet of a long pass haglund has too. He has to be worth something in a trade.

Interesting Williams wasnt dressed.

Believe he is injured

Kaz
06-02-2016, 10:49 AM
We kinda feel apart when they put on Salazar and Drogba started to play and after we took of Cheyrou. We didn't have many first team people on defense. It was mentioned that Montreal had a B Team defense.. but so did we. They had 3 DPs on the pitch. Cheyrou kept the kids organized. He came of and they started to panic just a little which allowed the one goal. The other was a silly hand ball that was just poor timing and needless but was just a bad moment and happens to everyone at some point.

We scored 4 times because for the first time we played as a team, and didn't play give Seba the ball and close your eyes. Vanney needs to start playing Gio as a piece of the whole not the piece the whole supports.

Kingvikingstad
06-02-2016, 10:50 AM
2nd half much more so than the 1st, he seemed to be still figuring things out in the 1st half. But his intensity and confidence were great to see

He (like Dero) are players we don't develop too often in Canada. He has a spark about him that I really enjoy and surprisingly he hasn't had the creativity coached out of him yet! I only see him getting better with more time on the pitch!

Scotty74
06-02-2016, 10:56 AM
frustrating end to the game losing 2 late goals to 10 men at home. Drogba turned a great result into a decent result within 4 mins.

Ultra & Proud
06-02-2016, 11:21 AM
frustrating end to the game losing 2 late goals to 10 men at home. Drogba turned a great result into a decent result within 4 mins.
It's what players like him do if they get half a chance. Unfortunately, he got his half chances and he buried them.

Ultra & Proud
06-02-2016, 11:45 AM
We start Seba & Johnson next week along with our regular defenders and I say we get out of this with a draw minimum. With that Ciman-less defense I don't see a clean sheet being in the cards for them.

BuSaPuNk
06-02-2016, 11:54 AM
Lol for real? Ballsy move

Yep sitting in the corner. Had to double take for a second. Really balsy of them.

Initial B
06-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Section R, north stand.

My comment wasn't fair, the fact that there is a limited soccer culture in Ottawa has nothing to do with the potential, which was very obvious.

MLS caliber stadium, for starters. Well worth the trip if TFC plays Ottawa in the final.

Um, Section R is in the South Stands. They're nice seats near centre. Usually those are filled with knowledgeable fans, but I guess since they weren't part of the regular season package, they got bought by others. Thanks for the nice comments about the stadium. It looks like they're building additional seating in the one end zone. My seats are usually in the supporters section. I hope you had a chance to get down there and talk to some of them. It was a pretty tactically shrewd move by the club to put the supporters behind the visitor's bench. ;)

Ivy
06-02-2016, 12:12 PM
We start Seba & Johnson next week along with our regular defenders and I say we get out of this with a draw minimum. With that Ciman-less defense I don't see a clean sheet being in the cards for them.
No Ciman, no Cabrera, no Toia... I dunno the status on Donadel.

Pint
06-02-2016, 12:14 PM
No Ciman, no Cabrera, no Toia... I dunno the status on Donadel.

No Bernier lol

Ivy
06-02-2016, 12:21 PM
No Bernier lol

I love that we're laughing now. Yesterday when the line ups came out, my blood pressure went up, heart rate elevated... I felt sick. Happy that it's our game to lose now, not an impossible mountain to climb like everybody predicted.

Pint
06-02-2016, 12:26 PM
I love that we're laughing now. Yesterday when the line ups came out, my blood pressure went up, heart rate elevated... I felt sick. Happy that it's our game to lose now, not an impossible mountain to climb like everybody predicted.

So did I but that's because i had to emergency capo the game in 116... thankfully the team had my back, reverse scoreline and it would have been awful.

Oldtimer
06-02-2016, 01:08 PM
I think maybe 8000 if they are lucky but will announce 21000 lol, a combination of many people are starting to figure out this team may be the same old crappy team like every other year with the crappy last set of bad home game results and last Saturday's massacre in New Jersey. The Voyageur Cup is just a hard sell, weeknight game, many players missing and the Jays are on a bit of a hot streak playing the Yankees down the street, and you got yourself a formula for a friends and family kind of crowd.

8000 crowd if lucky?
same old crappy team?

I think you can stop drinking the negativity Koolaid. These predictions were beyond wrong.

MightyDM
06-02-2016, 01:22 PM
I did not see that, its great. And deserved. Vanney has handled him very well in terms of his improved play. Now he just needs more minutes!

MightyDM
06-02-2016, 01:27 PM

That's all a straw man. There is nothing wrong with saying "Vanney got the selections and tactics spot on, and the players came out motivated. But his last two subs were disastrous. He should have subbed in people to keep the clean sheet given the importance of away goals." Imagine if a Premier League coach did this in a Champions League game, the media and supporters would be howling. If we can't make that kind of comment, what are these boards for?

Auzzy
06-02-2016, 01:31 PM
I was mostly happy with the lineups and subs. The kids played great.

The only thing I was not happy with, was the Chapman for Cheyrou sub. As mentioned above, Cheyrou had a key role in this mostly young lineup. I understand that Cheyrou was gassed after injury and needed to come out. But Chapman was the wrong replacement. He's gotten enough first team minutes, no need to give him more experience in that situation (with Johnson & Bradley also gone). We've seen enough from Chapman to know he's not going to do much to maintain possession, nor will he provide significant defensive cover in midfield -- the things we needed most at the end, with Cheyrou (and Johnson and Bradley) not on the field.

After Cheyrou was gone, suddenly Montreal had acres of space in midfield. Also they looked like they were a man up, rather than the other way around. I think Osorio was switched to a holding midfield role, at least for part of the time after Cheyrou left?? Also not a role Osorio does well.

Looking at the available subs, and if Cheyrou had to come out, I might have put Morrow in at LB; then told Morgan to buzz around in front of the defense to break things up (as well as going forward cautiously). Or put in Perquis or Moor as a third defender, going 3 or 5 at the back, giving the wingbacks a bit more opportunity to help in the defensive midfield (or bomb forward as appropriate).

Oldtimer
06-02-2016, 01:32 PM
I actually was impressed throughout most of the game how motivated the players were and thinking Vanney has to be at least part of that (the other part is that Canadian players would be specially motivated).

MightyDM
06-02-2016, 01:35 PM
To be clear, for me, this was the best team play I have seen from TFC in a long time, and proved that Oso, Morgan, Hagglund and Lovitz deserve more first team minutes. It also showed that Babouli and Hamilton are developing nicely. Cheyrou was immense. Delgado and Zavaleta were ok, although he (Z) and Beitashour had a brain cramp on the first Mtl goal. Incredible pleasure to watch the game at BMO and here the wall of noise from the South end. Great day. The only "but" for me is that a 4-0 win would have been historic, not just a great day. That's why I have commented about Vanney's choice of substitutes.

MightyDM
06-02-2016, 01:37 PM
I actually was impressed throughout most of the game how motivated the players were and thinking Vanney has to be at least part of that (the other part is that Canadian players would be specially motivated).

Yes. it is interesting because the starters had not looked motivated the past three games, particularly NYC. I was inclined to blame Vanney but perhaps some of them need to have a seat and know that their position is under threat.

MightyDM
06-02-2016, 01:38 PM
I was mostly happy with the lineups and subs. The kids played great.

The only thing I was not happy with, was the Chapman for Cheyrou sub. As mentioned above, Cheyrou had a key role in this mostly young lineup. I understand that Cheyrou was gassed after injury and needed to come out. But Chapman was the wrong replacement. He's gotten enough first team minutes, no need to give him more experience in that situation (with Johnson & Bradley also gone). We've seen enough from Chapman to know he's not going to do much to maintain possession, nor will he provide significant defensive cover in midfield -- the things we needed most at the end, with Cheyrou (and Johnson and Bradley) not on the field.

After Cheyrou was gone, suddenly Montreal had acres of space in midfield. Also they looked like they were a man up, rather than the other way around. I think Osorio was switched to a holding midfield role, at least for part of the time after Cheyrou left?? Also not a role Osorio does well.

Looking at the available subs, and if Cheyrou had to come out, I might have put Morrow in at LB; then told Morgan to buzz around in front of the defense to break things up (as well as going forward cautiously). Or put in Perquis or Moor as a third defender, going 3 or 5 at the back, giving the wingbacks a bit more opportunity to help in the defensive midfield (or bomb forward as appropriate).

I like where you are going with this.

kwhisperer
06-02-2016, 02:15 PM
To be clear, for me, this was the best team play I have seen from TFC in a long time, and proved that Oso, Morgan, Hagglund and Lovitz deserve more first team minutes. It also showed that Babouli and Hamilton are developing nicely. Cheyrou was immense. Delgado and the coaches nephew were ok, although he and Beitashour had a brain cramp on the first Mtl goal. Incredible pleasure to watch the game at BMO and here the wall of noise from the South end. Great day. The only but for me is that a 4-0 win would have been historic, not just a great day. That's why I have commented about Vanney's choice of substitutes.

Agree completely re team play - a very enjoyable game to watch. I was really glad the younger guys got a chance to create chances without having Gio in the mix. Good for their confidence and it gives Vanney more to think about.

C.Ronaldo
06-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Agree completely re team play - a very enjoyable game to watch. I was really glad the younger guys got a chance to create chances without having Gio in the mix. Good for their confidence and it gives Vanney more to think about.

was Delgado good anytime else, he made more than a few defensive mishaps. I feel he is regressing. Osario needs to be on Canada's team, and needs to play this position much more often on TFC. He always does well there

C.Ronaldo
06-02-2016, 03:08 PM
I like where you are going with this.

really fees like vanney forgot drogba and piatti are still really freakn good and can make things happen on their own

ensco
06-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Um, Section R is in the South Stands. They're nice seats near centre. Usually those are filled with knowledgeable fans, but I guess since they weren't part of the regular season package, they got bought by others. Thanks for the nice comments about the stadium. It looks like they're building additional seating in the one end zone. My seats are usually in the supporters section. I hope you had a chance to get down there and talk to some of them. It was a pretty tactically shrewd move by the club to put the supporters behind the visitor's bench. ;)

Yes, south. I don't know why, I always get north and south mixed up in Ottawa. Because the water is to the north or something!

Ottawa v Toronto would be a lot of fun for all concerned. Here's hoping.

Oldtimer
06-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Ottawa v Toronto would be a lot of fun for all concerned. Here's hoping.

Though it could result in some divided allegiances for Ottawa based TFC fans. ;)

Ivy
06-02-2016, 03:20 PM
I'd love to go to an Ottawa TFC final. It'll be a good time.

Pint
06-02-2016, 03:21 PM
best part of playing the fury would be we get the 2nd leg at home

MartinUtd
06-02-2016, 03:41 PM
I figure this is a good place to ask: What's the status on Canadian NASL expansion? I heard rumblings of a team in Calgary and Hamilton. I'd be great to see the Voyageurs Cup expand to 7-8 teams.

ensco
06-02-2016, 04:05 PM

Ashtone has real strengths and is still young enough that it's reasonable to think he might yet be an MLS starter, and be here for many years to come.

He is, already, quietly, but absolutely, Mr TFC for me.

paul-collins
06-02-2016, 04:16 PM
I figure this is a good place to ask: What's the status on Canadian NASL expansion? I heard rumblings of a team in Calgary and Hamilton. I'd be great to see the Voyageurs Cup expand to 7-8 teams.
Hamilton seems to be aimed at the Canadian Premier League - which CSA announced as under development at the recent AGM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Premier_League

As far as the Voyageurs Cup expansion, it looks like there will be motion toward an open Cup over the next few years, if the rumours on the V's board are to be believed.

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/25597-why-a-fully-open-voyageurs-cup-is-needed-to-grow-the-game/?page=4

JamboAl
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Though it could result in some divided allegiances for Ottawa based TFC fans. ;)

Absolutely spot on. Exhibit #1 right here.

Alonso
06-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Did JHam get an assist for Osorio's second goal?

I think the commentators got it wrong when they said he "missed" the shot... to me from the angles I saw, he missed on purpose and back heeled it behind himself as if it was a set play.

Anybody got a clear video shot or know if he was in fact given the assist that I think he should get.

TFC website hasn't updated their stats to reflect what happened last night.

Here's the youtube video of the goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_xMwEO5fqM

JHam used his left foot heel to pull the ball back behind him back into the middle of the box. He didn't have a shot, so did the sensible thing.

MartinUtd
06-02-2016, 06:23 PM
Did JHam get an assist for Osorio's second goal?

I think the commentators got it wrong when they said he "missed" the shot... to me from the angles I saw, he missed on purpose and back heeled it behind himself as if it was a set play.

Anybody got a clear video shot or know if he was in fact given the assist that I think he should get.

TFC website hasn't updated their stats to reflect what happened last night.

Here's the youtube video of the goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_xMwEO5fqM

JHam used his left foot heel to pull the ball back behind him back into the middle of the box. He didn't have a shot, so did the sensible thing.

I don't think Hamilton back heeled it. You can slow the video down to 0.25 speed and you see the ball change directions before he gets his foot over it. He either kicked it into the defenders leg, or Babouli's pass deflected back to Osorio.