PDA

View Full Version : 2016 General TFC/MLS banter

Pages : [1] 2

Oldtimer
05-26-2016, 08:47 AM
This thread is a catch-all for general banter not specifically related to transfer rumours.

OgtheDim
05-26-2016, 09:04 AM
The Anglophile experiment at Houston seems to have finished - more because Coyle is not into it anymore and wants back into the UK scene.

reggie
05-26-2016, 09:19 AM
maybe Houston is just too humid for the brits?

Areathrasher
05-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Well he wasn't a particularly good coach to begin with anyway

MartinUtd
05-26-2016, 01:54 PM
The Anglophile experiment at Houston seems to have finished - more because Coyle is not into it anymore and wants back into the UK scene.

I was surprised at how much Coyle has moved around in his managerial career considering he was talking so much about long term projects at the beginning of his Houston stint. I figured he'd have a resume like Moyes, just at a lower level.

OgtheDim
05-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Frasier's name came up in banter about Houston. Unlikely to happen but he's on the "well if we need somebody with some but not a lot of experience" list.

OgtheDim
05-26-2016, 01:59 PM
On another note, US ratings for the NY derby are in:

https://twitter.com/JSB_FOX/status/735906440603308035

Pint
05-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Don't even know if thats a good thing with how much of a gong show the game itself was.

Detroit_TFC
05-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Well he wasn't a particularly good coach to begin with anyway

True but I really thought he would beat the foreign coach hex. He was eager to coach in MLS, wasn't blindsided by the league oddities. The comments I've seen from Houston folk on reddit and such suggests the FO did him no favors regarding spending and should bear a fair amount of responsibility for things not working out.

Areathrasher
05-26-2016, 02:22 PM
True but I really thought he would beat the foreign coach hex. He was eager to coach in MLS, wasn't blindsided by the league oddities. The comments I've seen from Houston folk on reddit and such suggests the FO did him no favors regarding spending and should bear a fair amount of responsibility for things not working out.

Never seemed like a good fit in Houston to me.

Wilmer Cabrerra tipped for the job.

anto7
05-26-2016, 03:00 PM
I heard Warner's name mentioned in another thread and it made me wonder what happened to him, I don't recall where he ended up. Is he playing first team minutes with anyone?

Yohan
05-26-2016, 03:04 PM
I heard Warner's name mentioned in another thread and it made me wonder what happened to him, I don't recall where he ended up. Is he playing first team minutes with anyone?
IIRC he's more of a sub for Houston right now

anto7
05-26-2016, 03:13 PM
IIRC he's more of a sub for Houston right now

Totally forgot he ended up there. Can't see him getting too many starting minutes with them

Oldtimer
05-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Don't even know if thats a good thing with how much of a gong show the game itself was.

At least there were a lot of goals, one thing the casually interested sports fan thinks there isn't enough of in soccer.

MartinUtd
06-03-2016, 04:48 PM
So three points separate 2nd from 8th in the east with only NYFC playing 15 games and the rest of the pack at 13-14. This season looks wide open (except for Chicago).

OgtheDim
06-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Owen Coyle at Blackburn - back in the sort of place he belongs

In other news, according to this schedule https://public.tableau.com/profile/fennsk#!/vizhome/CopaAmericaSchedule/Dashboard1 if the US doesn't make the quarters, we get Bradley back with a week break.

OgtheDim
06-13-2016, 02:36 PM
File this one under "If you pay them peanuts, you get monkeys, so why are you paying them peanuts?" file

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/story/2892550/professional-referee-association-accused-by-refs-union-of-violating-cba

The average MLS Pro ref salary is $74K.

PRo pay Kelly $150K because he came over as an assistant training manager for PRO at first and PRO/MLS just kept the same pay going as a ref.

Union doesn't like that.

Richard
06-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Max is $74K, that wouldn't be a bad average though.

I'm not familiar with ref pay around the world but that seems like a very good income to me.

Ivy
06-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Max is $74K, that wouldn't be a bad average though.

I'm not familiar with ref pay around the world but that seems like a very good income to me.
When you're assigned a job, to which the results could mean people's jobs, careers, and reputation, it isn't much. That's before even touching the potential millions of $$$ that circulate the game.

Auzzy
06-13-2016, 10:42 PM
So maybe we'll lose Alan Kelly, one of the few decent refs in the league? He's not going to work for $75k, and no travel expenses back to Ireland.

C.Ronaldo
06-14-2016, 08:32 AM
crazy question,

why do refs need a union?

some kind of labour hardship? is it the field turf?

OgtheDim
06-14-2016, 08:53 AM
crazy question,

why do refs need a union?

some kind of labour hardship? is it the field turf?

Off the top of my head, things a union would be involved in:

Who pays for travel to games?

Who pays for the hotel overnight?

Who pays for travel to training?

Is there a per diem at training or on game days for food?

How is referee compensation decided upon? Is it per game only or for a season with per game? Does FIFA status provide a bonus?

Who pays for the kit and flags?

How many days are mandated between games?

During the last negotiations, the league tried to reduce the training pay for AR's. IIRC, most of them were getting approximately 35K a year to do that job.

Think about that.

An AR gets paid slightly more then half of what a rookie gets and has WAAAAY more involvement in how games finish then most rookies.

The NFL types in MLS are used to NFL refs, who move up a ladder from high school through college but always do it as a secondary job, even when in the NFL. I can remember when they used to tell us what NFL refs did during the week (most were accountants and oil executives and marketing managers).

And in gridiron, the 7 man teams overrule themselves, talk about plays immediately but have autonomy all the time to make the call. Soccer is a tad different due to the officiating being focused on one person with two assistants and a helper, the 3 of whom can be overruled.

If you pay them crap, you won't get decent refs.

ag futbol
06-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Agreed. The union is capable of good things in this circumstance.

MLS loved to trot out the line "pro trains the refs we have nothing to do with it" for quite a while when the reality was: 1) training was non-existent 2) pay was shit 3) clarification on how the league wanted the rules interpreted was inconsistent at best.

Good officiating isn't just sending out skilled individuals on the field - there is a lot of behind the scenes work that goes into it.

It has gotten better but is still suboptimal in my opinion. Linesmen are basically useless given the amount of resources that are put into them. Referee pay is okay at this juncture but could still be better. Training / standardization has improved but they could take it further.

C.Ronaldo
06-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Off the top of my head, things a union would be involved in:

Who pays for travel to games?

Who pays for the hotel overnight?

Who pays for travel to training?

Is there a per diem at training or on game days for food?

How is referee compensation decided upon? Is it per game only or for a season with per game? Does FIFA status provide a bonus?

Who pays for the kit and flags?

How many days are mandated between games?

During the last negotiations, the league tried to reduce the training pay for AR's. IIRC, most of them were getting approximately 35K a year to do that job.

Think about that.

An AR gets paid slightly more then half of what a rookie gets and has WAAAAY more involvement in how games finish then most rookies.

The NFL types in MLS are used to NFL refs, who move up a ladder from high school through college but always do it as a secondary job, even when in the NFL. I can remember when they used to tell us what NFL refs did during the week (most were accountants and oil executives and marketing managers).

And in gridiron, the 7 man teams overrule themselves, talk about plays immediately but have autonomy all the time to make the call. Soccer is a tad different due to the officiating being focused on one person with two assistants and a helper, the 3 of whom can be overruled.

If you pay them crap, you won't get decent refs.

but i negotiate all these thing on my own with my own company, travel, vacation, pay, sick days. I lay it all out in the interview.
the union is gonna keep the shittier refs around longer

couldnt really good refs at least use MLS as a spring board to higher paying leagues? then eventually MLS would hopefully get sick of losing all there refs and pay more

ag futbol
06-14-2016, 01:12 PM
I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. The league historically has looked at this as a cost centre and little else. They don't want to pay more, provide benefits or anything else.

The union, to avoid their own employees being thrown under the bus, is actually moving the needle in the right direction. More good than bad I'd say.

Whether you're Baldomero Toledo or Pierluigi Collina you depend on a lot of things other than your own judgement to call a proper game. MLS historically has epically failed in this department.

The idea that the guys here just suck and need to be replaced is overblown. Very few fit that category, most are salvageable with proper support. Heck, the way the setup is now you get docked assignments if you're performance is poor. It's not like you're a Labatt's factory worker in the 70's getting drunk at lunch and telling the non-union supervisor to get stuffed if he says anything.

Lennon
06-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Really enjoying the Euros coverage. Wish they had pregame/half time analysis like this for TFC games.

MartinUtd
06-15-2016, 10:07 AM
lol check out LAG's winning goal in the open cup

https://streamable.com/sw9j

Yohan
06-15-2016, 06:40 PM
I dunno how much CCL prize money was before, but it really must have been peanuts. Even just 500k for CCL winner is peanuts

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/06/15/concacaf-will-award-1-2m-prize-money-champions-league-semifinalists

OgtheDim
06-15-2016, 07:29 PM
https://twitter.com/mattoak/status/743236862450405376

Apparently NYCFC and Cosmos people got into it.

USOC is whacky at this stage.

molenshtain
06-15-2016, 08:11 PM
well no shit. Their fans are despicable people. It's not surprising they tend to overtly show it.

OgtheDim
06-15-2016, 09:11 PM
well no shit. Their fans are despicable people. It's not surprising they tend to overtly show it.

There are a LOT of very good people supporting NYCFC. Ownership is another matter.

molenshtain
06-15-2016, 09:39 PM
I have a hard time agreeing with that sentiment. I know what you mean, and I really wish there was a major club in the Metropolitan area to provide a proper club for all of those people who want so desperately to support a proper New York team. I'm totally on board with that idea. But personally, I think if you support that club your morals and personhood should be rightly questioned.

OgtheDim
06-16-2016, 06:24 AM
I respect your passion about the ownership of Man City. To call all people who support teams that are owned by that group "despicable people" is a step too far.

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2016, 08:23 AM
I have a hard time agreeing with that sentiment. I know what you mean, and I really wish there was a major club in the Metropolitan area to provide a proper club for all of those people who want so desperately to support a proper New York team. I'm totally on board with that idea. But personally, I think if you support that club your morals and personhood should be rightly questioned.

I have a hard time believing everyone at Yankee stadium even knows who owns their club, the parent club, if they know they have a parent club, or what they've done.

I'll be ready to damn them all as soon as you confirm that info though...

MartinUtd
06-16-2016, 11:32 AM
https://twitter.com/mattoak/status/743236862450405376

Apparently NYCFC and Cosmos people got into it.

USOC is whacky at this stage.

"hooligan LARPing"

lol holy shit that's funny

Pint
06-16-2016, 11:41 AM
I do find it funny that a team that is a year and a half old and is the 3rd team in its area has these problems... like where did these hardcore supporters come from? Change of allegiance or did they simply not supporter locally before

OgtheDim
06-16-2016, 04:16 PM
The East just got a tad easier for the next little bit

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/743550708947943424

Nogueira is for personal health reasons. He's off back to France. Complete shock in Philly where they have had a very solid season with him pulling the strings.

OgtheDim
06-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Some interesting data came out about sports on cable demographics from the weekend.

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/747969777470156800

BTW, Univision's number for that SJE vs. LAG game was over a million viewers - impressive in the US. From past experience, FS1 will be about 20% of that.

jloome
06-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Some interesting data came out about sports on cable demographics from the weekend.

BTW, Univision's number for that SJE vs. LAG game was over a million viewers - impressive in the US. From past experience, FS1 will be about 20% of that.

Was that best ever for a regular-season MLS broadcast?

General Woolfe
07-01-2016, 01:00 AM

Maybe I'm being Eurocentric but having more people watch gymnastic trials than footie beggars belief

DinamoTFC
07-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Maybe I'm being Eurocentric but having more people watch gymnastic trials than footie beggars belief

Median AGE not number of viewers

Ultra & Proud
07-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Median AGE not number of viewers
No but the football matches here are the only ones that are hitting the magic advertising window that networks desire. Even a lesser overall number in the 30-40 median age range would be better than the mid 50's ones for ad bucks. Which is what I was always saying in the TFC vs Argos TV debate. They have better numbers from people who don't buy shit from big paying advertisers (thus Rona being huge for them).

mr k
07-03-2016, 12:00 PM

It got a nice lead in from Copa America third place match in Colombia vs USA.

Detroit_TFC
07-04-2016, 09:13 AM
The age stats are why advertisers and sponsors are pouring millions into the game in North America despite small ratings compared to other sports. The prime 18-49 demo is much larger proportion of the total viewership than for other sports (like 50%+ compared to like 20% for baseball for example). This phenomenon fascinates me. Seems the bulk of viewership would be in that demographic but I guess older people watch a lot of tv. Obviously the total ratings are hugely important but the type of viewers offset that some.

I look at these stats all the time, there are several sports rating websites and people post them on Twitter regularly.

Yohan
07-07-2016, 09:39 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-coaching-tree

This is kinda cool. MLS coaches and how they are connected to each other

notthesun
07-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton both on the roster for the MLS Homegrown Game vs. the Mexico U-20 squad.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/07/12/landon-donovan-names-squad-chipotle-mls-homegrown-game-vs-mexico-u-20s

mistercorporate
07-14-2016, 01:52 PM
My ultimate team using the 442 diamond and our roster would be:

Seba-Jozy
Cheyrou-Bradley-Johnson-Endoh
Morrow-Moor-Zavaleta-Beitashour
Irwin

3 subs: Hamilton, Osorio, Morgan

Yohan
07-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Timbers Army tifo vs Seattle

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnnXJgPVYAAgfFe.jpg:large

OgtheDim
07-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Here with the sound for the full effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGMFVNV-_Hk

Ivy
07-19-2016, 12:54 AM
Timbers Army and their FO work some amazing stuff when it comes to these TIFOs. Bad ass looking.

Initial B
07-19-2016, 11:55 AM
^ Why can't Toronto supporters do the same?

Fort York Redcoat
07-19-2016, 12:22 PM
^ Why can't Toronto supporters do the same?

Rigging meeting tomorrow.

We didn't have rigging till now.

OgtheDim
07-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Kreis in Orlando will be...interesting. A lot of egos in that squad. Should be good for Larin.

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Not sure if this belongs in here but given all the soccer twitter meltdown over that New York Times piece, a really good article about homophobia in MLS and US soccer culture. Apparently the "what to do about it" piece comes this afternoon.

http://www.unusualefforts.com/homophobia-american-soccer/

One point that I didn't think about BMO - the lack of non gender specific bathrooms.

BTW, you don't read the stuff put out by unusual efforts, you really should. Great stuff consistently, on purpose from a different perspective then the normal, and insight to things in this game we don't get through day to day team/league/tournament coverage.

Canary10
07-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Kreis in Orlando will be...interesting. A lot of egos in that squad. Should be good for Larin.

Wondering if that was a piece that led to his downfall in New York. He hasn't had a lot of experience dealing with players at that level.

sidvan
07-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Absolutely spot on about the Unusual Efforts writing. Good reads there. www.unusualefforts.com

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 10:44 PM
So Minnesota is getting an MLS team by 2018 or so.

Tonight, the NASL version of that team played Bournemouth in a friendly.

Minn is going to need a new keeper.

https://twitter.com/Seth_Kaplan/status/755958043087474689

That is vaguely CSL level stuff.

Initial B
07-21-2016, 12:05 PM
I've been to MinnU-Fury games and I'm pretty sure that's not their regular keeper.

OgtheDim
07-21-2016, 02:28 PM
The testing of video refs move on apace

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/sports/soccer/testing-a-replay-system-to-give-soccer-referees-another-set-of-eyes.html?smid=tw-share

Points to be aware of

Video assistant can only suggest a play be looked at - ref does not have to
Will not always require ref to go to a tv screen
No NFL style challenge flags
Only for goals, penalty decisions, straight red cards and cases of mistaken identity
Ref has the final say

A work in progress but MLS really wants this.

PopePouri
07-21-2016, 02:52 PM
The testing of video refs move on apace

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/sports/soccer/testing-a-replay-system-to-give-soccer-referees-another-set-of-eyes.html?smid=tw-share

Points to be aware of

Video assistant can only suggest a play be looked at - ref does not have to
Will not always require ref to go to a tv screen
No NFL style challenge flags
Only for goals, penalty decisions, straight red cards and cases of mistaken identity
Ref has the final say

A work in progress but MLS really wants this.

Sounds similar to rugby.

OgtheDim
07-21-2016, 07:55 PM
I've been to MinnU-Fury games and I'm pretty sure that's not their regular keeper.

Strangely enough, they did a video of his pregame routine. MNUnited with the sense of humour.

https://twitter.com/MNUnitedFC/status/756230013633044480

Detroit_TFC
07-22-2016, 08:16 AM
An influential Minn. soccer person suggested that rather than just let the player be the butt of jokes globally, MNU needed to make lemonade out of lemons right now, and the team listened. Good video.

Areathrasher
07-22-2016, 08:20 AM
That's well done. Fair play to them.

Auzzy
07-22-2016, 09:49 AM
I watched the extended highlights of the Bournemouth - MN United game. That keeper actually made a bunch of really good saves, especially after his massive gaff. Of course nobody will know that. Also MN United had some great scoring chances that they flubbed (incl. some Row Z shots). And their defenders sometimes just didn't seem to care. Spent more time waving their arms on obviously non-offside goals than actually defending. (The officials made some good calls on difficult offside questions.)

BTW I often took my kids to TFC games when they were younger, and did pretty well with getting into one of the "family" (non-gender-specific) bathrooms w/o too much wait. They seemed to be spread around the stadium pretty well. However I don't really know if somebody looking for a non-gender-specific bathroom would feel comfortable waiting in line there, and then perhaps getting into the washroom in front of a couple of families with kids doing the pee pee dance.

OgtheDim
07-26-2016, 01:14 PM
Schmid is gone at Seattle - same day a new DP comes to town.

No, we do not want him.

Detroit_TFC
07-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Well, it will be very interesting to see who ends up becoming their 2nd ever coach in MLS era (not counting the interim guy now). Lure someone away from a current post, a la the first appointment? I imagine they would love to bring in a marquee overseas coach but given recent performance records of non-N. America coaches, can't see them actually doing it.

Areathrasher
07-26-2016, 01:36 PM
I think Sigi retires now.

OgtheDim
07-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Lagerway basically calling Sigi past it and not his man

https://twitter.com/mattpentz/status/758027714561314816

Oldtimer
07-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Lagerway basically calling Sigi past it and not his man

Interesting, thanks for sharing. He pretty well is doing everything but inscribing the tombstone.

OgtheDim
07-26-2016, 06:13 PM
On a different note about TFC business sponsorship, Coke is on a bit bigger sponsor plan now it seems.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/758074480824463361

Shirt sponsor next season?

Yohan
07-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Read this for some of reasons why Sigi got fired

http://www.soccerwire.com/blog-posts/when-a-coachs-time-is-up-behind-the-scenes-of-sigi-schmids-seattle-exit/

Yohan
07-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Another good article on Sigi's time in Seattle

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/27/sigi-schmid-seattle-sounders-mls

Yohan
07-27-2016, 08:08 PM
MLS U23 vs Mexico U20s. Hamilton and Chapman starts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViqDAzKa4Z8

Oldtimer
07-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Read this for some of reasons why Sigi got fired

http://www.soccerwire.com/blog-posts/when-a-coachs-time-is-up-behind-the-scenes-of-sigi-schmids-seattle-exit/

Summary, a good, solid, respected MLS 2.0 coach in a rapidly evolving MLS 3.0 league.

mistercorporate
07-27-2016, 10:23 PM
On a different note about TFC business sponsorship, Coke is on a bit bigger sponsor plan now it seems.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/758074480824463361

Shirt sponsor next season?

Saw the Coke ads on the billboards outside BMO on my way along the gardiner today, never saw any Coke ads for TFC before, this may be a real thing. Discounts on rum and coke would be nice!

PopePouri
07-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Summary, a good, solid, respected MLS 2.0 coach in a rapidly evolving MLS 3.0 league.

Have to think what Lagerway's role in this is. He didn't really Sigi out when Martins left.

Yohan
07-29-2016, 09:45 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/sports/soccer/jack-harrisons-us-soccer-path-started-with-a-choice-in-england-by-his-mother.html?ref=soccer

Interesting story of NYCFC rookie Jack Harrison and his path to professional soccer player

anto7
07-29-2016, 10:29 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/sports/soccer/jack-harrisons-us-soccer-path-started-with-a-choice-in-england-by-his-mother.html?ref=soccer

Interesting story of NYCFC rookie Jack Harrison and his path to professional soccer player

That's a great story, thanks for sharing

Canary10
07-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Apparently Dom Dwyer has been sold to Olympiacos for 4.5 million Euros.

Pint
07-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Apparently Dom Dwyer has been sold to Olympiacos for 4.5 million Euros.

Dwyer getting more than Castillo is something I can't understand.

Canary10
07-29-2016, 11:50 AM

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of his, but he's been near the top of MLS goal scoring for a few years.

Areathrasher
07-29-2016, 12:13 PM

SKC have more leverage than Dallas to extract a bigger fee given that Dwyer hasn't asked to move whereas Castillio made it clear he wants out.

Olympiakos first bid came in at $3m and SKC turned it down.

OgtheDim
07-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Vermes was asked today and apparently "there is no truth to that report".

Canary10
07-29-2016, 12:52 PM
Vermes was asked today and apparently "there is no truth to that report".

Hmm. Will be fun to watch this play out. It's good money for him if it's true. But they would be somewhat screwed in the striker position.

Kamp Berg
07-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Hmm. Will be fun to watch this play out. It's good money for him if it's true. But they would be somewhat screwed in the striker position.

Jozy Altidore?

Canary10
07-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Jozy Altidore?

That would be fine unless they want goals out of their striker.

Kamp Berg
07-29-2016, 01:03 PM
That would be fine unless they want goals out of their striker.

They have a real team identity, might be perfect for him.

OgtheDim
07-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Jozy Altidore?

[insert Jozy Alitdore support boilerplate here]

They have absolutely nothing we want.

OgtheDim
07-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Interesting article on a current DCU player dealing with a concussion

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2016/07/29/lost-in-a-supermarket-a-soccer-players-daily-struggles-after-concussion/?postshare=3521469808645783&tid=ss_tw

notthesun
07-29-2016, 06:17 PM
https://twitter.com/BrianStraus/status/759148389988642816

https://twitter.com/BrianStraus/status/759148509329174528

Just one example showing you can't fully trust MLSPU salary numbers. Castillo's base salary is listed at 156k, but he's actually earning 700k.

Yohan
08-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Some interesting articles

MLS expansion fee might go up to 200 mil
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2016/08/02/mls-expansion-fee-could-high-200m-nothing-finalized/87945640/

General state of D2 and D3 leagues in NA
http://midfieldpress.com/2016/08/03/the-future-of-us-club-soccer-at-a-crossroads-part-one-usls-second-division-ambitions-the-consolidation-of-us-pro-club-soccer-under-mls/

Yohan
08-03-2016, 02:47 PM
http://www.timbers.com/post/2016/08/03/us-open-cup-concacaf-champions-league-what-they-are-and-what-they-mean-us

Merritt Paulson on what competitions Portland prioritize and why. Refreshing to read from an owner communicating with supporters/fans.

OgtheDim
08-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Minnesotta to be a new away /home team next season. I suspect they will play in the East. Details in the first part of this bit (http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/06/uniteds-defense-opens-up-in-4-0-defeat-to-miami-fc/).

Oldtimer
08-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Some interesting articles

MLS expansion fee might go up to 200 mil
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2016/08/02/mls-expansion-fee-could-high-200m-nothing-finalized/87945640/

Even if it goes up to $150 mil, that's crazy money. MLSE made 15x their money in just a decade.

Detroit_TFC
08-08-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure I knew this - seems that the new Orlando City stadium will have a safe standing section.

https://twitter.com/OrlandoCitySC/status/762719393210068992

OgtheDim
08-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Apparently the Fire lease is really bad for the team.

http://www.chicagonow.com/fire-confidential/2016/08/fire-sale-at-least-three-groups-interested/

OgtheDim
08-12-2016, 07:08 PM
USL trialling Video replay tonight.

Used in the first half for a red..

https://youtu.be/jXU9mSp-fBU Find 33:38 of the first half and you'll see it work - very very well actually.

Ref goes to a guy holding a monitor showing 4 angles - sees, makes the call.

Soccer history people.

If that's how it works, I'm for it.

Yohan
08-17-2016, 10:06 PM
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/how-seattle-sounders-sign-nicolas-lodeiro-garth-lagerwey-exclusive-interview-sigi-schmid

Good article on Sounders, Lagerwey and Lodeiro transfer

mistercorporate
08-17-2016, 10:32 PM
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/how-seattle-sounders-sign-nicolas-lodeiro-garth-lagerwey-exclusive-interview-sigi-schmid

Good article on Sounders, Lagerwey and Lodeiro transfer

Gotta say I'm really envious of the Lodeiro pickup. Class player from a class national team, would take Giovinco over him any day but imagine having another player like that on your team providing service? Fingers crossed for a 4th DP slot soon ;) MLS are you listening?

OgtheDim
08-18-2016, 09:42 AM
So....would it be better to have NER on a plastic pitch in a NFL stadium or on grass in a baseball stadium?

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2016/08/red_sox_owners_pitch_fenway_renovations

Pint
08-18-2016, 09:45 AM
So....would it be better to have NER on a plastic pitch in a NFL stadium or on grass in a baseball stadium?

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2016/08/red_sox_owners_pitch_fenway_renovations

Neither are good solutions but would probably be better to be on grass in a downtown stadium, rather than on turf far outside the city.

OgtheDim
08-19-2016, 07:40 AM
So apparently our Sept 18 Sunday night game against NYRB scheduled for 7:00 pm has been moved to 5:00pm.

The reason?

Fox moved it for a USWNT friendly

That's a couple of 5pm home starts in a row. It is what it is but I would much prefer to play Eastern rivals at home at night - better atmosphere. But..TV rules in this case.

ou8jonesy
08-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Hi All. Not sure if anyone would be interested but here is a link to a beer drinking show released yesterday with former captain Steven Caldwell. If this is the wrong spot to post mods just delete it :)
https://youtu.be/_6GbUYXmvZA

Areathrasher
08-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Shit. Dont think I can make that game now. Fucking networks :shakesfist:

reggie
08-19-2016, 08:15 AM
im going to flip if MB and JA miss that game for that US friendly.

Areathrasher
08-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Its a women's friendly

reggie
08-19-2016, 08:31 AM
oh thats good.thx:drinking:

Yohan
08-19-2016, 04:46 PM
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/atlanta-united-reports-more-than-22000-season-tick/nsJRf/

Atlanta at 22k full season tix sold and counting

WestStandGeoff
08-19-2016, 04:58 PM
So apparently our Sept 18 Sunday night game against NYRB scheduled for 7:00 pm has been moved to 5:00pm.

The reason?

Fox moved it for a USWNT friendly

That's a couple of 5pm home starts in a row. It is what it is but I would much prefer to play Eastern rivals at home at night - better atmosphere. But..TV rules in this case.

Good news for me... need to drive back to Sudbury after the match, so at least now I'll likely get home before midnight.

OgtheDim
08-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Minnesota (two n's and a t) announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nro5q9LLa48&feature=youtu.be

And some background

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/08/pride-prejudice-stadium-story/

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/08/pride-prejudice-minnesota-united-stadium-story-part-iii/ (http://fiftyfive.one/2016/08/pride-prejudice-stadium-story/)

notthesun
08-19-2016, 06:18 PM
Minnesota entering the league next year, just announced by Garber.

edit: Official name is Minnesota United FC. Playing at TCF Bank Stadium (turf, University of Minnesota football stadium)

OgtheDim
08-19-2016, 06:36 PM
New SSS being built in St. Paul - 19K capacity.

Best logo in the league.

https://twitter.com/BrianStraus/status/766779033149317120

sn0re
08-19-2016, 06:41 PM
New SSS being built in St. Paul - 19K capacity.

Best logo in the league.

https://twitter.com/BrianStraus/status/766779033149317120

If we used our TFC academy logo I'd argue it would be best in the league. Though MNUFC's logo looks amazing

OgtheDim
08-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Alignment confirmed apparently

https://twitter.com/BrianStraus/status/766783353173356544

Areathrasher
08-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Good to see common sense prevailed and they kept the United in their name

Redcoe15
08-19-2016, 08:34 PM
And a touch of a modification to their logo, which was already sharp to begin with.

Ivy
08-19-2016, 09:42 PM
As I said a few days ago, 2 teams in the expansion draft. Get ready to lose 4 guys.

Yohan
08-19-2016, 10:26 PM
As I said a few days ago, 2 teams in the expansion draft. Get ready to lose 4 guys.
max 2 players per team lost in expansion draft. rumours says MLS may be scrapping expansion draft and expansion teams get some other bonuses instead

Ivy
08-19-2016, 11:22 PM
max 2 players per team lost in expansion draft. rumours says MLS may be scrapping expansion draft and expansion teams get some other bonuses instead
An expansion team can take up to 2 players from any club during the draft. There's 2 teams coming in next year.

notthesun
08-19-2016, 11:53 PM
An expansion team can take up to 2 players from any club during the draft. There's 2 teams coming in next year.

There's a hard limit of 2 players that can be taken per team though. If say Atlanta takes 2 of our guys, then we're removed from the rest of the expansion draft and Minnesota has to look elsewhere.

At least that's how it was done last time. It could change or it could be scrapped entirely, we'll have to see.

I feel bad for Minnesota going into that Western conference. It could be a real struggle for them in the early years.

Yohan
08-21-2016, 09:50 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/19/atlanta-united-fc-set-new-season-ticket-record-expansion-teams?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

Atlanta confirms 22k season tix sold... and a 3k GA supporter's section

stevep
08-21-2016, 06:32 PM
with nyrb tie against dc united it now looks like a two team race tfc and nyfc

OgtheDim
08-23-2016, 03:48 PM
From the guy who knows everything about MLS and TV

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/768184197735325696

08-24-2016, 01:18 PM
LAFC sell naming rights to stadium for 100 million

Banc of California, whose 41-year-old leader has almost doubled its stock price and assets since the start of 2015, agreed to pay $100 million over 15 years to slap its name on Los Angeles’s new soccer stadium, according to a person with knowledge of the agreement.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-23/bank-run-by-41-year-old-said-to-pay-100-million-to-name-stadium

OgtheDim
08-25-2016, 04:32 PM
From the guy who knows everything about MLS and TV

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/768184197735325696

So apparently its the fact our game against NYRB will be on Fox nationally.

Fox is using MLS as filler if an area doesn't have an NFL game.

Kinda big in its own way. If they did this throughout Sept and Oct., a lot of people would see MLS games down there and it would grow interest.

So, that Sunday, everybody smile for the camera's - people in the middle of somewhere USA will be watching. :)

OgtheDim
08-26-2016, 01:54 PM
On a somewhat more somber note...

https://twitter.com/mattpentz/status/769242543129104384

DinamoTFC
08-26-2016, 02:19 PM
On a somewhat more somber note...

https://twitter.com/mattpentz/status/769242543129104384

Won't be called up to USNT for qualifiers according to MLS article.

Now look for jozy to be called up. :leaving:

Red CB Toronto
08-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Won't be called up to USNT for qualifiers according to MLS article.

Now look for jozy to be called up. :leaving:

Both a healthy Deuce and Jozy would be called up. Jozy not being called up in the past has always been on health. Plus the Reds have the international break off.

OgtheDim
08-29-2016, 03:13 PM
On a better note

Jozy to Captain USMNT

https://twitter.com/kev_egan/status/770350803504672768

notthesun
08-30-2016, 11:29 AM
With Jason deVos being named Director of Development for the CSA, he's leaving TSN, which means someone will have to move into the analyst role alongside Luke Wileman to form TSN's top MLS commentary team. I hope it's Kristian Jack.

Fort York Redcoat
08-30-2016, 11:33 AM
With Jason deVos being named Director of Development for the CSA, he's leaving TSN, which means someone will have to move into the analyst role alongside Luke Wileman to form TSN's top MLS commentary team. I hope it's Kristian Jack.

Yes PLEASE.

MartinUtd
08-30-2016, 11:56 AM
I was thinking yesterday that a short 3-4 week injury to Giovinco could be a blessing in disguise. I think it would be overly optimistic to think we could carry this hot streak on straight through to the end of the season and into the playoffs. We have a new player we need to integrate into the team so this is the perfect time to hit the reset button on everything. We're sitting pretty in the standings and a good late season humbling should be a healthy reminder of last seasons playoff run.

OgtheDim
08-30-2016, 12:11 PM
Only thing about integrating Cooper - he's off with Panama right now.

TFC Tifoso
08-30-2016, 12:26 PM
I was thinking yesterday that a short 3-4 week injury to Giovinco could be a blessing in disguise. I think it would be overly optimistic to think we could carry this hot streak on straight through to the end of the season and into the playoffs. We have a new player we need to integrate into the team so this is the perfect time to hit the reset button on everything. We're sitting pretty in the standings and a good late season humbling should be a healthy reminder of last seasons playoff run.

Absolutely agree with the post!
In fact, I was thinking of the bolded on the way down to the game Saturday....as much as I love the hot streak TFC is/was on, I also wouldn't mind TFC to shit their pants once or so before the season ended just to keep things in reality.

They are in a comfortable enough spot now that just making the playoffs should be done, but this is the chance to really see what the team is made of.
Should they do well in Seba's absence confidence, particularly in the younger guys, will be sky high going in to playoffs.
If there's a little slide now, well its a sign everyone will need to do better, and Seba will be coming back with a few games to spare before playoffs to hopefully pick things up again.

Blindside16
09-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Absolutely agree with the post!
In fact, I was thinking of the bolded on the way down to the game Saturday....as much as I love the hot streak TFC is/was on, I also wouldn't mind TFC to shit their pants once or so before the season ended just to keep things in reality.

They are in a comfortable enough spot now that just making the playoffs should be done, but this is the chance to really see what the team is made of.
Should they do well in Seba's absence confidence, particularly in the younger guys, will be sky high going in to playoffs.
If there's a little slide now, well its a sign everyone will need to do better, and Seba will be coming back with a few games to spare before playoffs to hopefully pick things up again.

I completely agree now is the time to truly see our depth. A stronger couple of games will just sky rocket everyone's confidence going forward. I knew we weren't going to win every game coming down the stretch, I just wish it was ANY other team that broke our unbeaten streak.

OgtheDim
09-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Apparently, Bradley is effective

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/771458768068546560

Want to know what the start chart means.....see this (http://statsbomb.com/2016/04/understand-football-radars-for-mugs-and-muggles/)

Hamilton_Red
09-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Yes PLEASE.

Would guess they will want another Canadian accent - Sutton maybe?

Hamilton_Red
09-01-2016, 07:18 PM
NYCFC losing again to Orlando - keep it up Kaka!

Pint
09-01-2016, 07:35 PM
They are losing to DC no?

Hamilton_Red
09-01-2016, 07:44 PM
You right - brain fart there!

boozilla
09-02-2016, 12:42 AM
"Now here we go dropping science, dropping it all over"
Global warming is real, but I'm not a fan of soccer analytics.

Richard
09-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Red card has been rescinded for the Impact player Mallace.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/02/independent-review-panel-rescinds-red-card-montreals-calum-mallace

Anyone got a stat on how many have been rescinded so far?

OgtheDim
09-02-2016, 11:51 AM
So something is going on with Fox and ESPN and MLS. They are trying to create event TV it seems.

They just rearranged the times for all of the games in week 33 to be simultaneous.

From this release http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/02/mls-moves-times-week-33-simultaneous-kickoffs

On Friday, Major League Soccer announced that the league is pushing up the kickoff times for all matches in Week 33, the penultimate week of the regular season. All 10 matches are scheduled for Sunday, October 16.
The five games involving Eastern Conference teams will now kick off at 5 pm ET instead of 3 pm ET, with the Western Conference games following at 5 pm ET instead of 7 pm ET.
Both Week 33 and Decision Day – on the last week of the season – will feature flex scheduling allowing national broadcasters to decide which matches to telecast late in the season, bringing the fans the most compelling games as the dust settles over the playoff landscape.
All other games will be showcased, on both weekends, across network and league digital platforms to ensure fans do not miss a minute of the action.

We are away to Montreal - unlikely to be moved for ESPN or Fox.

TFC Tifoso
09-02-2016, 12:09 PM
The five games involving Eastern Conference teams will now kick off at 5 pm ET instead of 3 pm ET, with the Western Conference games following at 5 pm ET instead of 7 pm ET.

Say wha?? lol....editing fail at MLS......are they all at the same time or not?

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't have been a better idea to schedule the last 2 weeks on say a Saturday as opposed to going head to head with the NFL?

Pint
09-02-2016, 12:20 PM
So both east and west are at 5? or has east been moved to 3 and west is at 5? Very well could change my montreal plans for the better.

OgtheDim
09-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Say wha?? lol....editing fail at MLS......are they all at the same time or not?

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't have been a better idea to schedule the last 2 weeks on say a Saturday as opposed to going head to head with the NFL?

Fox is inserting games into markets where no NFL game is being shown. Basically MLS is becoming filler.

BTW, Saturdays are US college football day - starts at noon and goes to near midnight. More eyeballs then the NFL.

OgtheDim
09-02-2016, 12:33 PM
They did an edit

Eastern Games start at 3

The five games involving Eastern Conference teams will now kick off at 3 pm ET instead of 5 pm ET, with the Western Conference games following at 5 pm ET instead of 7 pm ET.

TFC Tifoso
09-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Fox is inserting games into markets where no NFL game is being shown. Basically MLS is becoming filler.

BTW, Saturdays are US college football day - starts at noon and goes to near midnight. More eyeballs then the NFL.

ah I see.....I'm surprised there's actually markets in the US where FOX or an affiliate does not always show NFL on Sunday.....

Yeah I know Saturdays are NCAA.....just figured it might've made more sense to have the MLS go Saturday at say 5 (East Conf) and 7 (West Conf).....most NCAA is done for the day by then.....Notre Dame usually kicks off at 3 if they're at home, but after that not many big teams play unless there's a big prime time game.....

EDIT:....ha.....ND happens to kick off at 7:30pm on Oct 15, and OSU@Wisc at 8 that night.....I guess no time is ideal for MLS once NFL/NCAA seasons start. Better off trying to make an even out of it and capture the MLS diehards....

Areathrasher
09-02-2016, 01:25 PM
So they are doing the same thing as last year "decision day" just moving it two hours ahead?

OgtheDim
09-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Betya they call it 'Moving Day'.

Mateo1985
09-02-2016, 01:42 PM
So both east and west are at 5? or has east been moved to 3 and west is at 5? Very well could change my montreal plans for the better.

What is your Montreal plan? With the game moving up to 3pm it might be realistic to just drive back to Toronto right after the game.

Areathrasher
09-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Betya they call it 'Moving Day'.

I hate moving day. They better be providing pizza and beer.

Pint
09-02-2016, 02:25 PM
What is your Montreal plan? With the game moving up to 3pm it might be realistic to just drive back to Toronto right after the game.

Could drive or day of flights are $190. I think I have leafs opening night tickets the night before so not sure if I'll go anyway.

Mateo1985
09-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Could drive or day of flights are $190. I think I have leafs opening night tickets the night before so not sure if I'll go anyway.

I'll most likely consider car pooling or mega busing. I'll let you know if you wanna car pool

OgtheDim
09-03-2016, 07:26 AM
I hate moving day. They better be providing pizza and beer.

Funny thing is...everybody knows moving day in Montreal is July 1st.

OgtheDim
09-07-2016, 11:39 AM
FWIW

Forbes MLS valuations

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2016/09/07/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams-2016-new-york-orlando-thrive-in-first-seasons/2/#611e490d2386

MartinUtd
09-07-2016, 11:49 AM
That's quite the operating loss we're dealing with. I wonder how much the extra capacity will help... plus the fact that the team is competitive and doing a better job filling seats.

Thomas
09-07-2016, 05:02 PM
I wonder if if this is a pure apples to apples comparison? Do the teams have any latitude as to what makes up those lines, and do the TFC numbers account for FX?

FWIW

Forbes MLS valuations

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2016/09/07/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams-2016-new-york-orlando-thrive-in-first-seasons/2/#611e490d2386

OgtheDim
09-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Garber interview at halftime in Montreal says Canadian focus not on a 4th team.

Given the money and offers and the like down in the States, this makes some sense

https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/773682905595904000

Oldtimer
09-07-2016, 08:17 PM
No way Ottawa market is worth US $200 million, so no one is going to shell out for an expansion franchise there, and other cities like Edmonton would be even more of a stretch.

MartinUtd
09-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Want to make the teams more relevant nationally? Give them more "national competition." Not that I'd advocate a 4th Canadian team from a business sense, but Garber is trotting out some bullshit there.

Areathrasher
09-08-2016, 12:20 PM
https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/773930648125878273

OgtheDim
09-08-2016, 12:36 PM
https://postmodernfootprints.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/franklymydear.jpg?w=820&h=312&crop=1

OgtheDim
09-08-2016, 12:39 PM
The US MLS media is going to go ga ga over this but

its playoff rush time

its in the West so it doesn't affect us

I don't really care about former USMNT players

he's gone away before and came back

he's hardly in his prime

Its all just so .....meh.....for me.

Richard
09-08-2016, 12:40 PM
This is Bruce Arena trying to catch lighting in a bottle to get a championship before he retires. It doesn't look like Bruce wants to stay around much longer.

Initial B
09-08-2016, 01:18 PM
No way Ottawa market is worth US $200 million, so no one is going to shell out for an expansion franchise there, and other cities like Edmonton would be even more of a stretch.
Agreed. I live in Ottawa and there is no way they get a MLS club now. They had a chance back in 2012 with the Sens owner Melnyk out in Kanata, but that died once Lansdowne was approved.

notthesun
09-08-2016, 06:36 PM
ASA put out their playoff odds recently, here it is: http://www.americansocceranalysis.com/playoff-odds-2016/

SoccMan2
09-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Well Ottawa council voted on basically wanting a CFL team by approving the renovations of Lansdowne Park if I recall correctly , thus killing Melynk's Kanata soccer stadium, Ottawa could have had an MLS franchise fora fraction of what it cost today, the CFL team seems to be packing them in, but then again it's not that hard getting what 22000 a game for what 9 or 10 dates a year opposed to 22000 for about 19 home dates a year with an MLS team, glad I don't live in Ottawa being a soccer fan I would now know that an MLS team in Ottawa is not going to happen probably never, so that would be tough to accept. I know there is an NASL team in Ottawa but it's not the same, I'm willing to believe if Ottawa had gotten an MLS franchise it would have been a success at the gate , it's too bad as a soccer fan that city council went with the CFl.

C.Ronaldo
09-09-2016, 09:41 AM
is this for real?
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/08/landon-donovan-officially-comes-out-retirement-signs-la-galaxy

LD out of retirement for a post season run

Initial B
09-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Apparently yes. However, it's not like he's coming back as a starter, he's just going to be in reserve for minutes at a time. No way he's anywhere near full fitness. He just wants to help out his old club over their injury bug.

MartinUtd
09-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Zardes is out for the season so he'll be getting big minutes for sure. They're desperate to stay competitive and rumour has it he's getting $140k for the remainder of the season. Pretty shocking stuff.

I'll laugh if he goes out and injures himself before he's not match fit.

OgtheDim
09-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Tenerio's views on TFC changed due to that game on the weekend.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/toronto-fc-supporters-shield-mls-eastern-conference?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t

notthesun
09-12-2016, 04:15 PM
TFC has 4 players on the 24 Under 24 shortlist: Chapman, Delgado, Endoh, and Hamilton. The list will start being revealed next week.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/12/24-under-24-back-stay-tuned-mlssoccer-com-full-coverage

Yohan
09-13-2016, 09:32 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/13/mls-canada-american-citizens

Victor M getting on MLS's case about Canadian domestic status in MLS

Richard
09-13-2016, 09:38 AM

The American are so full of shit, if Canada can treat US players as domestic then the US can treat Canadians as such.

I think the best way to go about it is to make all CONCACAF players domestic, and international actually means coming from another FIFA region.

I'm glad The Guardian picked the story, it seems to have quite a few comments as well.

Pint
09-13-2016, 09:40 AM
NHL, NBA, MLB, USL etc don't have restrictions... why is MLS unique?

Richard
09-13-2016, 09:42 AM

USSF want to develop the national team, cant do that if you let everyone in. The other sports league don't have that goal in mind when they are already the top or near the top of their sport.

Yohan
09-13-2016, 10:02 AM
NHL, NBA, MLB doesn't have a foreign player quota.

USL does its own thing for a long time and no one has challenged their roster rules.

C.Ronaldo
09-13-2016, 11:55 AM

about time

Initial B
09-13-2016, 01:15 PM

He can bloviate all he wants, but he's in a weak position. The CSA needs MLS more than it needs the CSA. Pull the three Canadian clubs from the league and they have 3 American clubs waiting to replace them. Watch the interest in the ex-MLS clubs plummet and the other teams in the new Canadian league give up on ever competing for the table since they can't match their expenditure. Watch MLSE drop TFC like a hot potato when revenue drops well below expenditures, selling the franchise to relocate south of the border. It would be a disaster for Canadian soccer. We just have to take our lumps for another 20 years until a Canadian league becomes viable.

TFC Tifoso
09-13-2016, 01:48 PM
The American are so full of shit, if Canada can treat US players as domestic then the US can treat Canadians as such.

I think the best way to go about it is to make all CONCACAF players domestic, and international actually means coming from another FIFA region.

I'm glad The Guardian picked the story, it seems to have quite a few comments as well.

agreed.....if the DOMESTIC LEAGUE is made up from cities in US and Canada, then its logical that the players from these countries qualify as such to all team as well....

but imo it would be a bit of a stretch to extend that to all CONCACAF players....

Blizzard
09-13-2016, 02:11 PM
agreed.....if the DOMESTIC LEAGUE is made up from cities in US and Canada, then its logical that the players from these countries qualify as such to all team as well....

As it was in the original NASL .... which led to Canada qualifying for Mexico in 86!

OgtheDim
09-13-2016, 02:11 PM
The comments on that Guardian piece are almost as annoying as the pro/rel argument I walked into today.

Blizzard
09-13-2016, 02:12 PM
The comments on that Guardian piece are almost as annoying as the pro/rel argument I walked into today.

With Kurt on Twitter? That was quite something.

OgtheDim
09-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I should know better. :(

I don't care what your viewpoint is, when you have to resort to subtweeting along the lines of "see this the limit of the arguement the other side has", you are not worth engaging with.

I get the pro/rel discussion but Ted's turned it into a near cult down there with aspects of Libertarianism. I havn't seen arguments like that since I was debating with fellow evangelical Christians back in the mid 80's back on net.flame.

DinamoTFC
09-13-2016, 03:47 PM
He can bloviate all he wants, but he's in a weak position. The CSA needs MLS more than it needs the CSA. Pull the three Canadian clubs from the league and they have 3 American clubs waiting to replace them. Watch the interest in the ex-MLS clubs plummet and the other teams in the new Canadian league give up on ever competing for the table since they can't match their expenditure. Watch MLSE drop TFC like a hot potato when revenue drops well below expenditures, selling the franchise to relocate south of the border. It would be a disaster for Canadian soccer. We just have to take our lumps for another 20 years until a Canadian league becomes viable.

MLS has done more for canadian soccer development than the CSA ever has and we're still only in the beginning.

But I do agree that Canadian players should eventually be counted as domestic players as well. Canadian mls teams have done wonders for the league and with 17+ american teams, a few more Canadians won't kill them.

Greatest Ripoff
09-13-2016, 05:03 PM
MLS has done more for canadian soccer development than the CSA ever has and we're still only in the beginning.

Really? Canada qualified for the World Cup and won the gold cup long before the mls was here. We haven't even qualified for the hex since the mls started in Canada.

So what exactly has mls done that is greater than those achievements?

ensco
09-13-2016, 05:26 PM
Really? Canada qualified for the World Cup and won the gold cup long before the mls was here. We haven't even qualified for the hex since the mls started in Canada.

This is kind of true, but not really, once you know the facts. Truth is, the NASL developed all those 1986 players.

Canada qualified for that World Cup because the NASL folded in 1984 and literally none of the players were good enough to get jobs in Europe, so the national team players all lived in Vancouver, got part time jobs in restaurants and lumberyards, and practiced every single day together for two years (until the 90s it was a lot tougher to catch on in Europe than it is now, leagues all had restrictions on foreign players).

The team that had a little bit of that going on recently was New Zealand at WC 2010. Aside from the 3 or 4 top guys, they all lived in NZ, and had the time and setup to play and train a lot together. NZ was the only undefeated team at the 2010 World Cup, I kid you not!

ag futbol
09-13-2016, 06:21 PM

I'd be interested to hear from an employment lawyer on this. By giving Americans preferential status in Canada over other non-Canadians it would appear to me they've run afoul of labour laws.

Probably never comes to the forefront unless someone challenges it.

DinamoTFC
09-13-2016, 08:34 PM

Canada has never had a worthy domestic league.
The semi-pro canadian soccer league with all teams based in ontario and gta is the closest it's ever come to and that was a joke.

The provincial teams and scouting have been a joke. Modern day academies have done more for exposing youth canadian talent than the CSA has.

The CSA has always been in turmoil and consumed by politics. It is just now slowly getting it's shit together.

boozilla
09-14-2016, 01:19 AM
That Guardian article was great.
Domestic leagues and divisions are key to international success and given the hockey precedent, possible.
A Canadian wanting earn a living playing football has shitty options and limited growth potential.
It may take an outspoken 'football-Gretzky' (to join the Galaxy) and open the door for others.

Auzzy
09-14-2016, 08:00 AM
I'd be interested to hear from an employment lawyer on this. By giving Americans preferential status in Canada over other non-Canadians it would appear to me they've run afoul of labour laws.

Probably never comes to the forefront unless someone challenges it.

Under NAFTA, I think you can easily have preferential treatment of US Americans in Canada (and Canadians in the US, if MLS cared to implement that). Only the Mexicans might have a beef about that. Anyway, MLS is essentially a company with franchises in two countries, so it seems they would have a fair bit of leeway on how to arrange things between those countries. Plus other leagues seem to have special consideration for Canadians & US Americans in both countries w/o a problem.

ou8jonesy
09-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Is it feasible to think Montagliani has finally made this threat of pulling the 3 teams from MLS unless something is changed because he is no longer just the head of the CSA (where the US could care less what he thinks), but also the head of CONCACAF.

DYNAMO
09-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Is it feasible to think Montagliani has finally made this threat of pulling the 3 teams from MLS unless something is changed because he is no longer just the head of the CSA (where the US could care less what he thinks), but also the head of CONCACAF.I would like to know other than Atiba Hutchinson who would cost a lot, how many canadians are good enough to replace american players on mls teams. Please, lets be realistic here. TFC, IMPACT, WHITECAPS have only now started to employ canadians. TFC usually have two starters, Vancouver one and sometimes two and Impact, one and sometimes two. A total of 6 CDNS starting on Canadian teams. The article quoted ISSY who couldnt keep his job in MTL. AND, must i remind everyone here that very few fans wanted RICKETSS on tfc and i think he is an above average CDN player. I would like to know how many more CDNS would be playing in MLS if the restriction were lifted.

Initial B
09-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Is it feasible to think Montagliani has finally made this threat of pulling the 3 teams from MLS unless something is changed because he is no longer just the head of the CSA (where the US could care less what he thinks), but also the head of CONCACAF.
Doesn't make a difference. MLS doesn't need the Canadian Teams anymore. If the Prez of CONCACAF tries to force MLS (via the USSF) to do anything, you'll quickly see where the power really lies (unless he can get Mexico to pressure the US).

Pint
09-14-2016, 11:34 AM
I would like to know other than Atiba Hutchinson who would cost a lot, how many canadians are good enough to replace american players on mls teams. Please, lets be realistic here. TFC, IMPACT, WHITECAPS have only now started to employ canadians. TFC usually have two starters, Vancouver one and sometimes two and Impact, one and sometimes two. A total of 6 CDNS starting on Canadian teams. The article quoted ISSY who couldnt keep his job in MTL. AND, must i remind everyone here that very few fans wanted RICKETSS on tfc and i think he is an above average CDN player. I would like to know how many more CDNS would be playing in MLS if the restriction were lifted.

Striker: Haber, Hume and Jackson would all have decent shots at playing
Mid: Piette, JDG would have had more options after his time in Dallas, Hoilett/Arfield/Hutch would certainly be good enough, Petrasso,
D: Vitoria, Henry, Jakovic, James etc
G: Borjan, Stamatopolous, Irving (better chance at being drafted last year).

A bunch of players would be given much more opportunity to earn a shot out of the academy system

Areathrasher
09-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Vitoria got an opportunity tbf

And he was shit.

Pint
09-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Vitoria got an opportunity tbf

And he was shit.

This is true, but all of philly was a disaster last season if he was a domestic he likely gets another shot somewhere.

Richard
09-14-2016, 12:24 PM

I don't think its feasible at all, yes TFC and Vancouver/Montreal have value combined, but really its a bold face lie, the three Canadian teams would go to a payroll of under 2 million if they went into NASL/CSL. No one would show up to a game. The Canadian teams would force Montagliani out if they wanted them banished to a lower league.

Greatest Ripoff
09-14-2016, 01:33 PM
The semi-pro canadian soccer league with all teams based in ontario and gta is the closest it's ever come to and that was a joke.

The provincial teams and scouting have been a joke. Modern day academies have done more for exposing youth canadian talent than the CSA has.

The CSA has always been in turmoil and consumed by politics. It is just now slowly getting it's shit together.

You still haven't said what MLS has done for Canada that was better than qualifying for the world cup, winning the gold cup or making the hex. Any thoughts?

Also, semi pro league with all of the teams based in Ontario? You might need to fact check that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Soccer_League_(1987%E2%80%9392)

Oldtimer
09-14-2016, 01:34 PM
My favourite character player in MLS (and ex-TFC-er), Alan Gordon finally reaches 50 goals. He was featured quite a lot in Grant Wahl's book "the Beckham Experiment" as an ordinary MLS player who was deeply affected by the zoo surrounding Beckham.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2016/09/13/alan-gordon-50th-career-mls-goal-its-something-i-never-thought-i-would-be-able-do

(http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2016/09/13/alan-gordon-50th-career-mls-goal-its-something-i-never-thought-i-would-be-able-do)

Canary10
09-14-2016, 01:42 PM

The CSL had a western division at times as well with Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg. I think Victoria at one point. But you said "worthy" domestic league. CSL may not qualify....

DYNAMO
09-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Striker: Haber, Hume and Jackson would all have decent shots at playing
Mid: Piette, JDG would have had more options after his time in Dallas, Hoilett/Arfield/Hutch would certainly be good enough, Petrasso,
D: Vitoria, Henry, Jakovic, James etc
G: Borjan, Stamatopolous, Irving (better chance at being drafted last year).

A bunch of players would be given much more opportunity to earn a shot out of the academy systemNot a convincing lineup of players. Hutch and Hoilett simply would be too expensive and probably dp's. Jakovic, henry, vittoria, stamatopolous all played in MLS. James i thought was a liability for Canada and Petrasso hasnt made a name for himself. Haber, Hume and Jackson are on the decline. However, i will agree that a lot of fring american players are probably not much better but are in lineup because of their domesticity. Good players like DERO and Hainault and Serioux had no problem finding employment on u.s. teams. Once academy players like Alphonso Davies start to work out, i dont think they would have any problem landing on a u.s. team. TFC have only used five international spots and are competitive.

OgtheDim
09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Based on the Bez quotes in that article, the 3 Canadian teams want this changed as well as it would allow them to move players out of their academies easier and make the academies more competitive with US based ones.

I think Montagliani put this out there for 3 reasons

a) Show the rest of CONCACAF that he can/will stand up to USSF

b) cement his relationship with the MLS teams a bit because he is...

c) beginnning the argument for a need for the CPL

ag futbol
09-14-2016, 02:43 PM
I would like to know other than Atiba Hutchinson who would cost a lot, how many canadians are good enough to replace american players on mls teams. Please, lets be realistic here. TFC, IMPACT, WHITECAPS have only now started to employ canadians. TFC usually have two starters, Vancouver one and sometimes two and Impact, one and sometimes two. A total of 6 CDNS starting on Canadian teams. The article quoted ISSY who couldnt keep his job in MTL. AND, must i remind everyone here that very few fans wanted RICKETSS on tfc and i think he is an above average CDN player. I would like to know how many more CDNS would be playing in MLS if the restriction were lifted.
I agree with you to a degree.

To me the CSA has to light a fire under the Canadian teams to develop their own players. The problem is the US infrastructure already produces players, the Americans who run various parts of MLS teams in Canada are familiar with it and revert to it too easily.

TFC should have at least two academies given the size of the market they cover. The players on those junior teams should be local. TFC II shouldn't be a rehab centre or a means to get guys struggling at the first team level minutes.

Whatever happens at the first team level, I'll accept it. That's a bottom line business. But underneath, they are making some silly decisions IMO. They need to light a fire under Bent and Co. to start producing more first team ready players with higher potential ceilings.

Since Henry, Lindsay, and Morgan game through the product has been meddling.

ag futbol
09-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Under NAFTA, I think you can easily have preferential treatment of US Americans in Canada (and Canadians in the US, if MLS cared to implement that). Only the Mexicans might have a beef about that. Anyway, MLS is essentially a company with franchises in two countries, so it seems they would have a fair bit of leeway on how to arrange things between those countries. Plus other leagues seem to have special consideration for Canadians & US Americans in both countries w/o a problem.
The other leagues basically have no rules behind them. It's whoever the team wants makes the cut, no restrictions. As such nothing runs a foul of employment laws.

My general experience with cross boarder employment in my industry has suggested it's very much a customized agreement between countries in NA and not all parties are treated equal. But again, I'd defer to an expert.

The single entity thing might save them but who knows. In the end I think we can all agree the way they've constructed the rules is rediculous.

DinamoTFC
09-14-2016, 03:58 PM
You still haven't said what MLS has done for Canada that was better than qualifying for the world cup, winning the gold cup or making the hex. Any thoughts?

Also, semi pro league with all of the teams based in Ontario? You might need to fact check that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Soccer_League_(1987%E2%80%9392)

So you linked a league that lasted for 5 years ? And half those teams didn't even make it past a year or two.

The current league for the last 10 years or so sees almost half it's clubs change every year.

That same league that is desanctioned by CSA for match fixing.

MLS has given Canada 3 teams and put soccer on a bigger stage in this country than it ever was(albeit old NASL but that was American too).
Those 3 clubs now have youth academies, reserve sides which give Canadians more opportunities domestically. Look at the huge amount of money TFC invested in the Kia training ground. You now have a whole generation of kids growing up that see their respective MLS clubs as a chance to make it pro. We already have likes of Osorio, Hamilton, Babouli and many other being given chances they probably never would have received before.

It has also brought star players to Canada that we can watch live (giovinco, theirry henry, pirlo, villa, etc). We have a beautiful expanded stadium here in Toronto and montreal has their own as well.

It's obvious what MLS has done for Canada.

OgtheDim
09-14-2016, 04:38 PM
FWIW

Rollins quotes VM

https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/776122431337590784

notthesun
09-14-2016, 04:46 PM
It was supposedly coming soon last year too... I'm not getting my hopes up until they actually announce it.

Yohan
09-14-2016, 06:35 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/14/how-french-coaching-course-changing-face-mls-academies

Pretty cool article on the FFA coaching course that Vanney and Dichio took. Sounds pretty intense but great

molenshtain
09-14-2016, 06:46 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/14/how-french-coaching-course-changing-face-mls-academies

Pretty cool article on the FFA coaching course that Vanney and Dichio took. Sounds pretty intense but great

Conveniently left out of that article is the fact that our Academy Director and Bez are the one's who actually put that course together four years ago.

OgtheDim
09-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Wait...Bez set up a FFA thing? Or did he just facilitate US people going to it?

molenshtain
09-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Wait...Bez set up a FFA thing? Or did he just facilitate US people going to it?

From what I can tell he was the one who set up the partnership on behalf of the league, then he ran the program in its first year before he came here. IIRC part of his job at MLS was putting together and managing youth and academy initiatives. This was one of them.

I may be totally off base but that's what what I've read basically says/implies.

Auzzy
09-14-2016, 10:33 PM

I agree there aren't a ton of great Canadian players. However the fact that the Cdn MLS teams also don't have so many Cdn players, and starters, proves nothing. A Canadian player is more likely a risk, and less likely an asset, for the Canadian teams as well. If any Cdn MLS team wants to move a Canadian player for any reason, only the other two Cdn team have the same lack of roster restrictions for those players. It's much less likely that there will be matching interest for a trade or other transaction, if there are only two other teams available, rather than 19. And those other two Cdn teams will know you're desperate to dump that Cdn player, and will bargain accordingly.

Of course the Canadian player pool is much smaller. The US has about ten times the population, and US player development & the national teams (starting at the youth level) are much better. But generally a Canadian player will have less value, and more risk, than a US player of equal skill, due to the restrictions. That impacts the middling squad players, where US Americans will much more likely play all over the league for years, at average salaries, than Canadians. It affects young players that are just starting & developing as well. And long term it also can affect the "star" players, as some of those young players, and some of those middling players, end up developing and improving over the years.

ag futbol
09-15-2016, 02:47 AM
Kelly (while usually an insufferable individual) has an interesting article on the globe and Mail site. It basically says we'll qualify for the wc and achieve things when we actually develop some sense of urgency. Until then, we're dead in the water.

After watching the last two cycles i can't say I disagree.

ensco
09-15-2016, 07:16 AM
We have gone a fair distance backwards, for the moment only I hope. The Honduras debacle aside, the 2008-2012 CMNT, the won the got jobbed in the Gold Cup, that team was much better than the current group. If Hume hadn't had his career wrecked by that head injury... if JDG2 had played here... I think that earlier team could play Costa Rica and Honduras as equals, they had a real shot at WC qualification.

This current team never gave me that feeling.

Re Canadians in MLS, I don't think it matters. We have always had guys from equivalent leagues in Scotland, Romania, whatever. Atiba has played most (all?) of his career outside MLS but in secondary leagues.

The special difference-maker players are at academies in Europe, and we somehow need to be part of those kids development/thinking now. I hope somebody has that 10 year view. I doubt it.

Areathrasher
09-15-2016, 07:35 AM
Conveniently left out of that article is the fact that our Academy Director and Bez are the one's who actually put that course together four years ago.

it's also where he and Vanney struck up their relationship

Dichio top left. Bez and Vanney bottom right. Picture is in the article.

http://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/ECFL_FrenchFederationb.png

Richard
09-15-2016, 09:24 AM
Montagliani is on the FAN 590 with Jeff Blair.

Yohan
09-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Montagliani is on the FAN 590 with Jeff Blair.

synopsis? thanks

Richard
09-15-2016, 09:56 AM
synopsis? thanks

Talks about Floro and looking for a replacement, nothing about the MLS domestic issue.

Says we're better than we were last time around with players like Larin, Hoilet joining, but says were still not good enough for world cup.

I will post the file when it uploads, its the 10AM segment for the Jeff Blair show.

OgtheDim
09-15-2016, 02:33 PM
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-4/Victor-Montagliani-with-Jeff-Blair-and-Stephen-Brunt-jb-20160915-Interview.mp3

OgtheDim
09-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Robbo doing a Floro next season

https://twitter.com/ProvinceWeber/status/776528180647571456

notthesun
09-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Robbo doing a Floro next season

https://twitter.com/ProvinceWeber/status/776528180647571456

Nah, that's a Winter.

OgtheDim
09-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Orlando sells out its 18K of season tickets for its new stadium next season. 25 500 capacity.

Interesting when you look at the pics. Bascially take the rake from the upper tier on the East side of BMO and use that in the supporter's end.

http://orlando-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/StadiumRawlins.jpg?OcRixK0CtIY1PR4w3e_7vEQhDUp5gQ1 l&itok=3QCdlCkP&c=f99ceda1a1a1c692c7dc8a320485ec73

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Orlando sells out its 18K of season tickets for its new stadium next season. 25 500 capacity.

Interesting when you look at the pics. Bascially take the rake from the upper tier on the East side of BMO and use that in the supporter's end.

http://orlando-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/StadiumRawlins.jpg?OcRixK0CtIY1PR4w3e_7vEQhDUp5gQ1 l&itok=3QCdlCkP&c=f99ceda1a1a1c692c7dc8a320485ec73

That'll be an away trip!

OgtheDim
09-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Hmm....

https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/778283133514895360 :shocked:

notthesun
09-20-2016, 01:03 PM
lol Altidore's free kick is losing to Larin's average strike by 83% to 17% in goal of the week voting. That's some grade A ballot-stuffing from Orlando fans.

C.Ronaldo
09-20-2016, 02:31 PM
it's also where he and Vanney struck up their relationship

Dichio top left. Bez and Vanney bottom right. Picture is in the article.

http://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/ECFL_FrenchFederationb.png
did Dichio and vanney pass the exam?

C.Ronaldo
09-20-2016, 02:32 PM
That'll be an away trip!

how nice filled in corners look

C.Ronaldo
09-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Hmm....

https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/778283133514895360 :shocked:

that means a ton of lopsided games? NYFC is NOT one of the 6, how are they in 2nd-3rd?

Blindside16
09-21-2016, 04:09 AM
that means a ton of lopsided games? NYFC is NOT one of the 6, how are they in 2nd-3rd?

They remind me of us last year, able to score but can't keep the ball out of their net. If they run into a hot goalie or a backline that is on, they can't win. Plus playing on that shortened joke of a field of theirs gives them an advantage.

DinamoTFC
09-22-2016, 10:06 AM
TFC make partnership with FC London as a satellite team. This is in addition to their other satellite team Windsor TFC. Good news for development.

Initial B
09-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Interesting... considering that the Whitecaps have already put an academy in place in London. I guess TFC is trying to protect their turf?

OgtheDim
09-22-2016, 11:50 AM
FWIW, Devos posted something a couple of years ago indicating that player development in London can be a bit of a macho shit show with one club insisting on keeping score from age 4.

OgtheDim
09-22-2016, 11:52 AM
On another note, no TFC people in the top 24 under 24 thing the league puts out.

Canadian Messi as #1 is kinda cool

However, Doyle makes a good point

https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst/status/778996239941578753

Initial B
09-23-2016, 08:44 AM
FWIW, Devos posted something a couple of years ago indicating that player development in London can be a bit of a macho shit show with one club insisting on keeping score from age 4.And from what I've understood, that's the club that's affiliated with the Whitecaps...

Cas87
09-23-2016, 09:05 AM
On another note, no TFC people in the top 24 under 24 thing the league puts out.

Canadian Messi as #1 is kinda cool

However, Doyle makes a good point

https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst/status/778996239941578753

Bono really should have gotten in to the lower end of the list because of his play picking up for Irwin (but I feel as though the voting cut-off for this list played a factor in that).

Yohan
09-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Gerard 'Tata' Martino named new Atlanta United coach.

Big name, should be interesting to see how he works out.

Red CB Toronto
09-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Gerard 'Tata' Martino named new Atlanta United coach.

Big name, should be interesting to see how he works out.

This will either go well or completely blow up in their face. Don't see much middle ground on this hire.

Pint
09-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Haven't they already signed a DP? Figured if you were bringing in a high profile coach you would wait for his input before making major personnel decisions.

Detroit_TFC
09-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Haven't they already signed a DP? Figured if you were bringing in a high profile coach you would wait for his input before making major personnel decisions.

There is a rumor that they have approached (or agreed a pre-contract depending on who you listen to) Mexican international Andres Guardado currently at PSV. This would be a big signing, and expensive - AU/MLS would have to pay a transfer fee to PSV.

OgtheDim
09-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Home Depot money goes a long way apparently.

Still...playing on turf in a downsized NFL stadium. With a cruddy name their supporters didn't want. Looking forward to beating the crap out of em next season.

Yohan
09-27-2016, 04:10 PM
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/mls-formations-4-2-3-1-revolution-conquered-major-league-soccer?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t

For the tactics nerds. 4-2-3-1 formation in MLS

Pint
09-28-2016, 07:18 AM
There is a rumor that they have approached (or agreed a pre-contract depending on who you listen to) Mexican international Andres Guardado currently at PSV. This would be a big signing, and expensive - AU/MLS would have to pay a transfer fee to PSV.

Which would be a 2nd since they already Villalba from San Lorenzo.

notthesun
09-28-2016, 03:30 PM
And Kenwyne Jones.

molenshtain
09-28-2016, 03:32 PM
He's not a DP though.

notthesun
09-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Huh, thanks, I didn't realize. I didn't pay too much attention to his signing, I just figured with all his Premier League experience he would be a DP.

OgtheDim
09-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Looks like we are losing the Star beat reporter

https://twitter.com/lauraarmy/status/781865279403986945

notthesun
09-30-2016, 01:08 PM
Latest salary numbers released by the union: http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/September%2015%202016%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

Ricketts on 81k and Cooper on 193k. Good job to Bez, assuming those are accurate.

Also compared to the mid-season numbers, Cheyrou went from 259k to 159k, and Zavaleta from 140k to 124k. Never understood why some numbers change mid-season while most don't.

Richard
09-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Cooper would be at 380K for a full year, ah no thank you.