PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 11 - Time for Some Pigeon Pie - NYCFC @ TFC Wednesday May 18 7:00 pm

OgtheDim
05-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Have at it people.

(NYCFC nickname is the Pigeons - something to do with not giving a shit but crapping all over people)

ExiledRed
05-15-2016, 10:22 AM
We are playing in red, right?

DinamoTFC
05-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Who knows, I didnt think it was possible for two blue teams to play at BMO until yesterday.

DinamoTFC
05-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Also we've yet to defeat NYC FC out of 4 games so far. I hope our boys make amends on Wednesday. Gonna be another tough one.

RedsYNWA
05-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Win Or We Burn The Stadium... fire looks like red

boban
05-15-2016, 07:16 PM
Win Or We Burn The Stadium... fire looks like red
Yeah but the hottest part of it is blue ;)

cdnorman
05-15-2016, 07:34 PM
We need to play physical against NYC. They've manhandled Giovinco on past encounters and without Altidore, our bigger and more physical striker, we are going to be in trouble as Endoh and Giovinco are a pretty small combo.

It's going to require some real pushing from our midfield and defence and getting those NYC defenders to spread out to give Gio and Endoh more room. If we do that -- and hold down service to Villa - we will do well against these birds.

OgtheDim
05-15-2016, 08:08 PM
NYCFC playing a 4-2-2-1-1 and relying upon their FB's to provide width. When the ball goes to their penalty area, they are putting everybody but Shelton packed into the box. Going to take quick ball movements to beat them. They can be had down the wings but its only Endoh and Lovitz left to do that sort of work. First goal would force them to come out.

Hamilton_Red
05-15-2016, 09:06 PM
I wonder if Pirlo can manage 3 games in 7 days? They are looking a lot better than TFC against Portland - we need to step it up.

DinamoTFC
05-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Nyc playing very physical and double man pressuring portland. Bringing the whole team to defend. We can't let them counter attack, David Villa is just too good on the breaks and exploiting portland. We need to play a defensive game like we did on the road.

witenite
05-15-2016, 10:44 PM
hi folks
long time lurker, first time poster. i apologize if im posting in the wrong area
im looking to take my buddy this upcoming game vs NYC
whats the best way of getting a pair of tickets in the supporters section at the cheapest price besides ticketmaster? is their a webpage where fans or season ticket holders sell tickets? if you can pm and let me know
thanks a million

Bluenose13
05-15-2016, 10:58 PM
hi folks
long time lurker, first time poster. i apologize if im posting in the wrong area
im looking to take my buddy this upcoming game vs NYC
whats the best way of getting a pair of tickets in the supporters section at the cheapest price besides ticketmaster? is their a webpage where fans or season ticket holders sell tickets? if you can pm and let me know
thanks a millionhttp://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?38813-05-18-TFC-v-NYCFC-7pm&p=1795362#post1795362

Joe Kool
05-15-2016, 11:37 PM
Long time lurker should know about the Ticket Trader threads...just sayin'...

Cas87
05-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Feeling as though Jozy and Osorio will be out for this one.

I see TFC lining up as:

4-5-1

----------------------------Irwin--------------------------------------

-----Beitashour--------Moor----------Williams---------Morrow-----

-----------------------Bradley--------Johnson------------------------

--------Endoh-----------------------Mo-------------Chappy----------

------------------------------Seba-------------------------------------

Playing this way in order for the back four to protect again David Villa, but also have options moving up to help out Seba.
Morgan come in for Morrow to get a run, Mannela/Hamilton in as well sometime during the game.

This might be a real look at what we have when Seba, Bradley are away come later in the game (60th onwards depending on score).

jabbronies
05-16-2016, 02:01 PM
We need to play physical against NYC. They've manhandled Giovinco on past encounters and without Altidore, our bigger and more physical striker, we are going to be in trouble as Endoh and Giovinco are a pretty small combo.

It's going to require some real pushing from our midfield and defence and getting those NYC defenders to spread out to give Gio and Endoh more room. If we do that -- and hold down service to Villa - we will do well against these birds.

The ball is going to have to stay on the ground and it'll have to move quickly.
We don't have the players to win balls in the air. Meaning most of attack will probably come up with the middle of the pitch.

Will Be interesting to see if we can play that game effectively.

notthesun
05-16-2016, 02:07 PM
Just don't concede a penalty for once against these guys please. Pretty sure Villa has like 5 penalty goals against us...

Ruffian
05-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Maybe Jordan Hamilton will get the start. More of a like for like player to Altidore.

Pint
05-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Maybe Jordan Hamilton will get the start. More of a like for like player to Altidore.

Currently away with Canada U23's but he did score recently for them

QBall
05-16-2016, 04:15 PM
NYCFC has the consistency of porridge and a backline that gets caught flat footed all the time. If our boys can play with the same energy as Saturday then we should destroy them.

ronzilla
05-16-2016, 09:19 PM
If we allow Pirlo to spray balls around, this game could get ugly. Need to minimize his touches and keep Villa in check.

MartinUtd
05-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Feeling as though Jozy and Osorio will be out for this one.

I see TFC lining up as:

4-5-1

----------------------------Irwin--------------------------------------

-----Beitashour--------Moor----------Williams---------Morrow-----

-----------------------Bradley--------Johnson------------------------

--------Endoh-----------------------Mo-------------Chappy----------

------------------------------Seba-------------------------------------

Playing this way in order for the back four to protect again David Villa, but also have options moving up to help out Seba.
Morgan come in for Morrow to get a run, Mannela/Hamilton in as well sometime during the game.

This might be a real look at what we have when Seba, Bradley are away come later in the game (60th onwards depending on score).

I'd wager this but Lovitz for Chapman. Should be interesting times for the fringe players.

reggie
05-16-2016, 09:51 PM
oh boy our depth sucks...i say the worst in the league.

Hamilton_Red
05-16-2016, 10:29 PM
When is Cheroux due back from injury?

Blindside16
05-17-2016, 05:43 AM

I think he is still a couple of weeks away at the earliest.

Cas87
05-17-2016, 07:58 AM

Cheyrou has the same issue as Jozy (hamstring). I don't think his is as bad though, 4-6 weeks if I remember from the beginning of April, but he still has to get up to game speed as well.

RealG-TFC
05-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Long time lurker should know about the Ticket Trader threads...just sayin'...

Well if he just signed up he actually wouldn't have had the chance to access the ticket trader thread (or even see it) on one of his many lurks. So its very plausible he didn't know.

I hope our backline is back in order, Villa scares me.

Detroit_TFC
05-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Could this game get a big turnout? Actually was able to sell my single ticket in 209 on the TM resale site (I did discount it some). Looked to see what is out there, very few tickets on TM for sale.

OgtheDim
05-17-2016, 01:00 PM
TFC announced yesterday less then 2K tickets left.

I'd expect attendance around 28K so more then last Saturday.

If so, it should be rocking.

Cas87
05-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Looking at TM right now, about 25-30 tickets left, the place will be electric.

Joe Kool
05-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Well if he just signed up he actually wouldn't have had the chance to access the ticket trader thread (or even see it) on one of his many lurks. So its very plausible he didn't know.

I hope our backline is back in order, Villa scares me.

Fair point. Been awhile since I was the long time lurker before signing up. Villa worries me too. He always seems to do well when playing TFC.

OgtheDim
05-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Sorin Stoica to ref this game. He's one of the better ones.

On Saturday, some guy doing the centre bit for his second MLS game ever.

69Chevy396
05-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Fair point. Been awhile since I was the long time lurker before signing up. Villa worries me too. He always seems to do well when playing TFC.
They are old, but with Pirlo and Villa, they have two of the greatest players of our generation. Pirlo doesn't need to move quickly to make his exquisite passes. The best strategy for beating this team, is to attack them from the outset, and not playing a defensive road game. Give Seba the ball early, and often.

ronzilla
05-17-2016, 09:45 PM
http://toronto-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/2016-StartingXI-051816.png

reggie
05-17-2016, 10:33 PM
oso and i think perquis not starting 2morrow.i think you see lovitz instead of chapman

molenshtain
05-18-2016, 01:32 AM
Is the game at 7:00 or 7:30? I'm seeing conflicting times a couple of different places.

denime
05-18-2016, 05:50 AM
Is the game at 7:00 or 7:30? I'm seeing conflicting times a couple of different places.

game is at 7:00 pm

OgtheDim
05-18-2016, 06:20 AM
GAME DAY :scarf:

Weather at game time is 10 feeling like 9 with little to no wind. Sunny with cloudy periods.

Pint
05-18-2016, 07:20 AM
Oso and Delgado are out for tonight... lovitz and chapman will be in unless morgan starts in mid.

We likely won't have any mids or forwards on the bench as Mannella is injured and Hamilton is with the U23's

EDIT: never mind one of Endoh, Lovitz or Chapman should be on the bench

Areathrasher
05-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Oso and Delgado are out for tonight... lovitz and chapman will be in unless morgan starts in mid.

We likely won't have any mids or forwards on the bench as Mannella is injured and Hamilton is with the U23's

EDIT: never mind one of Endoh, Lovitz or Chapman should be on the bench

Roberts, Bloom, Zavaleta, Perquis, Hagglund, Morgan, Lovitz the bench tonight?

Yeeesh

Joe Kool
05-18-2016, 08:17 AM

Yeeesh

It's like a game of Jenga....just one or two more pieces coming out and the whole thing could come down :) Fingers crossed we don't need to call upon many subs. Hope some guys get back healthy and quick.

OgtheDim
05-18-2016, 08:17 AM
Surely they have to find some forward to be on the bench tonight.

Areathrasher
05-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Can't be bothered to look up the rule book but I think they could probably use the "extreme hardship" rule to call someone up from TFC II, if they wanted.

ronzilla
05-18-2016, 08:31 AM

Yeeesh

Why is Perquis benched ?

Areathrasher
05-18-2016, 08:33 AM
Why is Perquis benched ?

Molinaro and Larson seem to think he will be rested.

Lennon
05-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Guys, is there any cheap ($10) parking on the south side of the stadium? Would like to avoid going through the GO tunnel ..

Pint
05-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Guys, is there any cheap ($10) parking on the south side of the stadium? Would like to avoid going through the GO tunnel ..

On non game days i think the parking drops to $8 or $11 in the lots around BMO but i doubt thats the case on game days. Not sure the cost but a few lots outside of the princess gates that may be cheaper as they are a little further away. Could also try lamport and just walk around duffrin.

Maybe it's the stadium actually being mostly full but that GO tunnel is more awful than in the past and i'm not usually out of the stadium til 20 minutes after the game.

michaeltfc91
05-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Irwin
Beitashour Williams Moor Morrow
Endoh Johnson Bradley Morgan
Giovinco Babouli

This is really all we can do. Lovitz, Chapman, Perquis are the subs. Its unfortunate because Lovitz played well on Saturday and Babouli did not, but where are you going to put Lovitz? Him and Endoh can't really be wingers because they are going to cross the ball to Giovinco? With this formation really the midfield isn't that bad, but I have no faith in Babouli at striker. I smell a 2-0 loss

burlington Red
05-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Why is Perquis benched ?

possibly because of his performance v Vancouver. He had done well so far this season but he looked more like the Perquis of last season in that game. Maybe management want to send a message out, that hey we have competition for places in central defence, you play poorly you get dropped. Or could maybe just be giving him a rest, we do as I say have quite the roster of centre backs, and could be just a bit of squad rotation going on

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Irwin
Beitashour Williams Moor Morrow
Endoh Johnson Bradley Morgan
Giovinco Babouli

This is really all we can do. Lovitz, Chapman, Perquis are the subs. Its unfortunate because Lovitz played well on Saturday and Babouli did not, but where are you going to put Lovitz? Him and Endoh can't really be wingers because they are going to cross the ball to Giovinco? With this formation really the midfield isn't that bad, but I have no faith in Babouli at striker. I smell a 2-0 loss

Yet in another thread people were pointing out how many wins we had without Jozy in the lineup...

michaeltfc91
05-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Yet in another thread people were pointing out how many wins we had without Jozy in the lineup...

I remember 1 win (we were dominated in that game), 1 tie and 2 losses. Altidore was the key to changing our season in a positive way and now we are royally screwed. He contributed positively in most of the games he played in and contributed to the goals, I am definitely an Altidore supporter. The loss of Altidore is irreplaceable

Also, I was the one complaining about Luke Moore and Herculez Gomez being let go and now we see why needed at least one of those players especially Luke Moore. This "salary cap" problem could have been avoided with the million dollars in allocation they gave us

reggie
05-18-2016, 10:07 AM
lets hope SEBA gets a early goal and then i would sub zava,haggs,and perquis and play a 7-2-1

CowTipper
05-18-2016, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a great deal of "Pirlo tourists" in the stands tonight. Many of my friends who believe no good football can come from TFC or MLS in general are making their way to BMO tonight for the first time ever.

Edit: I'm looking forward to spoiling their evening!

Detroit_TFC
05-18-2016, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a great deal of "Pirlo tourists" in the stands tonight. Many of my friends who believe no good football can come from TFC or MLS in general are making their way to BMO tonight for the first time ever.

Edit: I'm looking forward to spoiling their evening!

Pirlo is Pirlo, what can you do? He's a star. But if someone is coming to see a big-name Euro player, they should be coming to see Villa. IMHO David Villa has been an exemplary older DP in terms of commitment and effort, 100% all in.

Joe Kool
05-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Anyone know what time the gates open? TFC/BMO Field website says one hour before kickoff but the last two games it has been 1.5 hrs before kickoff so assuming the same unless they change it for the weekday games.

ronzilla
05-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Molinaro and Larson seem to think he will be rested.

I guess it's also good to give Williams some minutes.

KGH
05-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Folks...it's going to be a shit show driving anywhere downtown. Jays @ 7. Bieber at the ACC. Plan to get there early

CowTipper
05-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Pirlo is Pirlo, what can you do? He's a star. But if someone is coming to see a big-name Euro player, they should be coming to see Villa. IMHO David Villa has been an exemplary older DP in terms of commitment and effort, 100% all in.

Agreed! But most of the tourists I'm referring to equate Pirlo with the '06 World Cup and a number of Serie A championships. Such is life.

Discostu81
05-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Folks...it's going to be a shit show driving anywhere downtown. Jays @ 7. Bieber at the ACC. Plan to get there early

Bieber fans aren't old enough to drive are they?

MightyDM
05-18-2016, 01:03 PM
NYCFC playing a 4-2-2-1-1 and relying upon their FB's to provide width. When the ball goes to their penalty area, they are putting everybody but Shelton packed into the box. Going to take quick ball movements to beat them. They can be had down the wings but its only Endoh and Lovitz left to do that sort of work. First goal would force them to come out.

morgan can too. A bit forgotten, but he can play wide on the left, fairly effectively, too.

OgtheDim
05-18-2016, 01:25 PM
Bieber fans aren't old enough to drive are they?

Yes but they almost all get driven to these concerts and usually somebody's Dad or Mom goes as well. That and the knowledge of the downtown core is reduced as almost all will be driving in from around Southern Ontario.

The area around the offramps from the Gardiner near the ACC are going to be a zoo after 4.

Best plan to get to BMO is to take an Ossington bus south to Liberty Village and walk it in.

C.Ronaldo
05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
On non game days i think the parking drops to $8 or $11 in the lots around BMO but i doubt thats the case on game days. Not sure the cost but a few lots outside of the princess gates that may be cheaper as they are a little further away. Could also try lamport and just walk around duffrin.

Maybe it's the stadium actually being mostly full but that GO tunnel is more awful than in the past and i'm not usually out of the stadium til 20 minutes after the game.

it has to be a fire hazard with that many people.

get rid of the doors and pillars, really slows things down, and start the qeue further back roped off

Detroit_TFC
05-18-2016, 01:29 PM
One time I walked through Union Station just after a Bieber concert let out at the ACC. It was a terrifying experience.

Bobo
05-18-2016, 01:40 PM
3-4-2-1 and overload the mid so Pirlo can't pull strings. :)

------Williams---Moor---Perquis------
Beitashour--Johnson--Bradley--Morrow
----------Endoh-----Babouli---------
---------------Seba---------------

Alas, this is MLS and it would probably turn out to be a disaster.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2016, 01:41 PM
One time I walked through Union Station just after a Bieber concert let out at the ACC. It was a terrifying experience.

Taylor Swift. Twice.

Bedazzling.

Abou Sky
05-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Taylor Swift. Twice.

Bedazzling.

Most pop music makes me want to puncture my ear drums, but Taylor Swift is pretty awesome!

OgtheDim
05-18-2016, 02:14 PM

get rid of the doors and pillars, really slows things down, and start the qeue further back roped off

The lack of Ex streetcars means most people are going north. I am very surprised somebody hasn't complained to the city about the crush.

Abou Sky
05-18-2016, 02:24 PM

My wife was so freaked out by how crowded it was and that it is such a crazy stampede/crush hazard that she asked me to not use the tunnel anymore with the kids.

Derko
05-18-2016, 02:41 PM
My wife was so freaked out by how crowded it was and that it is such a crazy stampede/crush hazard that she asked me to not use the tunnel anymore with the kids.
City council, the CNE board, Go train officials and the chief of police have to walk through after a TFC game without their security and feel the crush, Then it is up to the masses to make a petition to have something done

C.Ronaldo
05-18-2016, 03:25 PM
just messaged John Tory about the tunnel, i implore the rest of you to do so as well

T-boy
05-18-2016, 03:45 PM

My wife is the same. The last game we ended up walking all the way around to Strachan and then back to Lamport, even though it took a while, it was better than that tunnel, which really is an accident waiting to happen. It's only going to take one person to trip up and its going to be a big mess.

Auzzy
05-18-2016, 04:55 PM
I left the home opener a bit late with my daughter, & was shocked to see what the entrance to the tunnel looked like. We walked around to the west via Dufferin. It was still a ways to walk to our car on the other side. We ended up getting home very late, and my daughter was a basket case. Possibly the last game she'll want to come to this season.

I'm taking my bike via Strachan today, always the easiest & most pleasant way.

pawlukj
05-18-2016, 05:07 PM
This is going to be a game, we have to accept the fact that were playing better players that are older but at the end of the day were playing at home, and we have a good roster on paper.

Jacob

notthesun
05-18-2016, 05:12 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/733054703618031616

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/733055075904446464

That bench, eek.

notthesun
05-18-2016, 05:19 PM
https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/733056152498540546

No Lampard, Villa and Pirlo on the bench.

ronzilla
05-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Villa and Pirlo are probably gassed and will come on later.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2016, 05:57 PM
We are going to have a comfortable win by 2 or 3 goals.
Gio gets one at least.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2016, 06:02 PM
Good stream:

http://giostreams.eu/26.html (http://giostreams.eu/26.html)

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Our bench has the proud strength of second string players for a medium strong team in a 2nd division of any Euro country, not in the 1st 10 as far as 2nd divisons' strenghts are concerned. :facepalm:

QBall
05-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Villa and Pirlo on the bench? Oh man, this is going to be too easy.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2016, 06:21 PM
dammmn, should've been 1-0!

PizzaEatingYeti
05-18-2016, 06:26 PM
and this should've been 1-1 :hump:

QBall
05-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Instead it's 1-0 for the wrong team.

QBall
05-18-2016, 06:30 PM
That's okay. When the Whitecraps scored first TFC came alive and turned into tigers.

Detroit_TFC
05-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Not a great start.

portu
05-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Was Babouli trying to juggle that in the box?!

notthesun
05-18-2016, 06:43 PM
I don't know how they let in a basically identical goal to Morales'. Learn from your mistakes, christ. Can't just let a guy shape up a shot in the box.

QBall
05-18-2016, 06:52 PM
I don't think Bradley helped himself with the yellow by ignoring the ref when he was trying to call him over after the foul.

portu
05-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Key point there about that goal and the service in by Babouli: he had Bradley wide open next to him most players would have delegated that to Bradley, Mo didn't

QBall
05-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Yes! NYCFC's shoddy defense strikes again.

notthesun
05-18-2016, 07:01 PM
NYCFC smart to be pressing high and fast, because we don't have Altidore to act as an outlet when we need to clear up the field. Build up play is really tough right now between trying to work around the high press and having no long ball option.

Yohan
05-18-2016, 07:08 PM
NYCFC smart to be pressing high and fast, because we don't have Altidore to act as an outlet when we need to clear up the field. Build up play is really tough right now between trying to work around the high press and having no long ball option.
NYCFC is also sloppy with the ball esp the defenders and easy giveaways. Gotta take advantage of that to hit them on the counter

ronzilla
05-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Great ball from Mo to set up the goal. Still need to keep pressing. The game will change when Villa and Pirlo come on. Need solid performance from D.

General Woolfe
05-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Weve come back into this game well after another very poor start. Our defenders need to stop giving attackers so much space and close them down more tightly especially when they move into the box. That's two goals we've given up in the last two games from giving our opponents too much space, it just invites a shot. Having said that, we did tighten up noticeably in defence after giving up the goal. My biggest worry tonight is we look a bit toothless up front. Although he has come onto a decent game as the first half wore on Baboulli had a poor start. Endoh has a lot of energy, but we seem incapable of exploiting it. We might need Bradley to push further forward in Jozy's absence to provide something of a goal threat, albeit shooting from distance. Finally, that free kick at the end of the half aside, I think that's been Seba's worst 45 in a red jersey. He needs to try and make use of the players around him more rather than try to do it all himself

Excellent chance passed up by Johnson there at the beginning of the second half that could have given us the lead

QBall
05-18-2016, 07:30 PM
The TFC fan in me hopes Villa and Pirlo don't come into the game. The soccer fan in me does.

James17930
05-18-2016, 07:42 PM
I just woke up.

How've we been playing?

General Woolfe
05-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Here comes trouble...

Detroit_TFC
05-18-2016, 07:46 PM
These blocked chances are killing me.

QBall
05-18-2016, 07:47 PM
I just woke up.

How've we been playing?

Average. Not the same level on intensity as last Saturday.

Detroit_TFC
05-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Here comes trouble...

yep, really had to have our insurance goals in place by now.

Jack
05-18-2016, 07:49 PM
Giovinco gets called offside a lot. All we need is for him to get free once, but with Villa out there, we have to be careful. He's deadly.

Jack
05-18-2016, 07:56 PM
These guys are such thugs.

James17930
05-18-2016, 07:58 PM
Who knew Babouli could pass?

notthesun
05-18-2016, 08:00 PM
Sorry... Chapman is not at this level yet.

Hamilton_Red
05-18-2016, 08:05 PM
Poor performance against NYC B team. We are not performing any better at BMO than we did on the 8 away games. Our defence has softened a little after looking solid initially. We are looking like a mid table team.

Detroit_TFC
05-18-2016, 08:05 PM
I dunno. Much better in the second half but again, first half - what is going on?

QBall
05-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Babouli, Bradley and Johnson did well, however overall a disappointing result against a team that looked disorganized and tired.

Kaz
05-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Time maybe to open the Vanney thread again?

... I mean we aren't scoring when it counts. we went from being the strongest offensive side with the worse defense to being a good defensive side with a fairly meh offensive..

ya... ummm this is bad.

69Chevy396
Sorry... Chapman is not at this level yet.
Scary that he is going to play regularly for this club. One wonders why we had to release Gomez, as the rookies are not as strong as I inferred. Babouli, being the exception.

pawlukj
great result to new york, the first goal by them was unfortunate, however, we came back, and we had sufficient chances to keep it going for the next goal around, but in all honesty a result is great and will do us good enough. I think that Vanney, is proving himself to be more than a proven coach here, and its enlightening to see him here, its obvious that his effort here is paying off, that he knows that he's doing, and that the team looks calm at what they are doing. I think, that it was interesting that Perquis did not play considering his last performance on the weekend, I think that the right side of the field, is playing well, that Bradley is retaining the ball well, and that we may have even been more than lucky to withstand David Villa's 75th substituation. I am glad that we are able to as a team, play well, and do well, and that, going forward we are picking up results espiecally early on in the season when things are rougher than ever, when the sun's not out, when there is no momentum yet, where we haven't been able to truly show one another off. I think going forward, we have to believe in the team we have, to believe in Giovinco, to believe in Michael Bradley, to believe in our wingers, and everyone that is battling on the pitch, we are doing more than fine, in a league where without DP's or coaches, there is little chance for us do to well. All i Can say is that compared to many european clubs and teams, we have alot of great fans and players coming to a place at BMO field on game day and we are doing well.

Sincerely,

Jacob Pawluk

General Woolfe
05-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Two points dropped however you look at it. Playing at home against a division rival who fielded their reserves for 75 minutes, a draw really isnt good enough. Still we recovered well after going behind and managed to end up dominating the game without looking particularly dangerous. There were glimpses that perhaps Baboulli can fill the gap that Jozy leaves, and indeed a front three of Baboulli, Endoh and Seba might offer enough to see us through Altidore's absence, however we need to rethink our positioning because Seba on the left wing takes away our most potent goal threat. All in all another disappointing night, we need to try and get organized quickly and hopefully we can pick up all three points on the weekend. It might not be a must win game yet, but these supposedly 'bankable' home points are fast disappearing

Dub Narcotic
05-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Why were Jackson and Moore released again? Coming into the season it was pointed out here repeatedly how bad the offensive depth was and how many frigging center backs were on the roster. This was not a good result.

notthesun
05-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Frustrated. So tired of not beating these jokers. Can't believe they're top of the East for the moment - I bet they miss the playoffs. They've lost so many home games already.

We didn't have the quality to break down 11 men behind the ball, it's that simple. No Altidore and no Delgado or Osorio in midfield hurts. This far down, our depth is not good.

The goal we allowed was awful. Just freaking step up and close the guy down, same mistake as last week. Do that and we win despite our struggles offensively.

ManUtd4ever
05-18-2016, 08:17 PM
To be fair, their keeper made at least 3 highlight reel stops. We should have won that game.

ronzilla
05-18-2016, 08:18 PM
Lacklustre performance in the 1st half although we completely dominated the 2nd half. Babouli looked impressive and this is exactly what we need, someone with pace, not a dead weight. Endoh also looked good but he disappeared far too often. Chapman is just not ready for this level.

I'll take the 1 point and move onto the next.

OgtheDim
05-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Chapman was the weak link. Wants to play central and that caused the overlap that led to their goal. Viera was telling his guys to push wide that side just before. Passing way to slow. Missed the big man. Seba had an off day. Irwin too. He came out early after the half to practice his touch. You play youngsters, you get games like this. As for wanting Jackson or Moore back, no thanks. We had 3 chances that should have been buried. Team needs to be more clinical in front of goal.

ronzilla
05-18-2016, 08:27 PM
To be fair, their keeper made at least 3 highlight reel stops. We should have won that game.

Yah he did make a few great saves and probably earned his team a point. As for Irwin, the goal looked a little too soft and should have stopped it from that tough angle.

Stress
05-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Jackson no, but Moore would have been useful. Chapman definitely the weak link. Thought both he and Babouli were a little too slow at moving the ball.

Tough one to swallow considering their schedule and their starting 11. Now we will have to earn points when we necessarily shouldn't be expected.

Redcoe15
05-18-2016, 08:40 PM
These guys are such thugs.

I was calling them that everytime they went and fouled a Toronto player. Fuck NYCFC!

Joe Kool
05-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Scary we had no subs to help us push for the win. Giovinco is great and all but I am getting tired of the only game plan being "get the ball to Giovinco". There was several opportunities to pass to players in better positions on the attack but nope....pass it to Giovinco with double coverage to see if he can get out of it. NY expected it every play and every play TFC did it. Our offense is predictable.

General Woolfe
05-18-2016, 09:05 PM
Endoh is making some great runs, and the boy has pace to burn, but he's not being picked out. Too often players were looking to play to Séba and Séba alone, which wasn't much good as he played most of the game on the left wing. As I said before, I saw enough to be encouraged that a front three of Baboulli, Séba, and Endoh could work in the short term, but it's dependent on playing the correct early pass, and playing the players in the right position. For me that's Baboulli right, Endoh left, and Séba through the middle

Areathrasher
05-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Anyone else concerned with our lack of urgency going forward? It's all very pedestrian. Nobody really looks to get on the ball in midfield and try and make something happen. It's all backwards and sideways passes recycling possession until an opportunity for a ball over the top/through ball appears.

All in all a dire game of football tonight.

James17930
05-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Average. Not the same level on intensity as last Saturday.

Yeah, I only caught the last half. Wasn't overly exciting. Pretty even.

James17930
05-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Anyone else concerned with our lack of urgency going forward? It's all very pedestrian. Nobody really looks to get on the ball in midfield and try and make something happen. It's all backwards and sideways passes recycling possession until an opportunity for a ball over the top/through ball appears.

Yes, though have to say NY was pressuring pretty well and then getting everyone back behind the ball later on.

Wasn't a lot of space to try to cut through, hence some of the over-the-top balls.

Loyal
05-18-2016, 09:33 PM
We all waited for these "HOME" games in a stadium that should provide a real home field advantage

Totally flat coming out in the last two games - 5 points we will never get back

Same thing last year - is it leadership or coaching?

Goalie is brutal with his distribution and has let in the same "bad angle goal" two games in a row

69Chevy396
05-18-2016, 09:39 PM

At home, Bradley has to play in a more offensive role.

ronzilla
05-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Seba's goal/assist streak snapped tonight. It took the team 11 games to score without Seba being involved.

InSuL1nImP
05-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Want to give a big shout out to Babouli and Johnson for their hustle tonight. Mo will break through in the next game or two I believe where we will only see 1 or 2 little mistakes a game. Really loving Endoh's creativity. On the other hand a big thumbs down to Moor tonight.

habstfc
05-18-2016, 09:57 PM
TFC were the better team, especially in the 2nd half. NYCFC won't make the playoffs, just on a bit of a hot streak, no defense. TFC should have scored again in 2nd half. Four points out of 9 at home isn't ideal but I'd be more worried if they were outplayed, but haven't been.

Lennon
05-18-2016, 10:12 PM
I think that was Mo's best game in a TFC jersey. Set up the goal and put in a good cross that Johnson should have finished.

GBV
05-18-2016, 10:23 PM
I think that was Mo's best game in a TFC jersey. Set up the goal and put in a good cross that Johnson should have finished.

Oooof.

Low Standards Inc.

General Woolfe
05-18-2016, 10:23 PM
We all waited for these "HOME" games in a stadium that should provide a real home field advantage

Totally flat coming out in the last two games - 5 points we will never get back

Same thing last year - is it leadership or coaching?
I wonder how much the lethargic crowd has to do with this. People are half assed about getting there in time and as a result the stadium is less than a third full at kick off. Instead of our opponents walking out to a wall of noise it's like taking to the field for a warm up. At KO tonight the east stand was less than a third full compared to half way through the second half when it was over two-thirds full

SoccMan2
05-18-2016, 10:24 PM
So I thought coming home now that the points would be guaranteed, instead they have already dropped 5 points in three games and with the possibility of Seba and Bradley gone for awhile this will start looking like your typical TFC season of the past seasons.

GBV
05-18-2016, 10:26 PM
I wonder how much the lethargic crowd has to do with this. People are half assed about getting there in time and as a result the stadium is less than half full at kick off. Instead of our opponents walking out to a wall of noise it's like taking to the field for a warm up. At KO tonight the east stand was less than a third full compared to half way through the second half when it was over two-thirds full

Many "try" to get there on time but not all that easy for a 7 p.m. game for working stiffs like us ... especially from well out of town ... and there are lots of us ... doesn't help when the Jays and the Biebs are in town, too.

Dv23
05-18-2016, 10:27 PM
Beitashour has been just AWFUL the last two games. I witnessed Seba literally jog over to him and yell in his face tonight at around the 89th minute.

Auzzy
05-18-2016, 10:37 PM
RE the late fans -- normal for Toronto, but the lineup for the security check at least at the NE gate was brutal. I found a way around and was early anyway. How were the other gates?

Agreed about Beitashour. Also wanted to mention: lots of bad passing by many of the TFC players, from Irwin all the way forward. Often the guys seem lackadaisical or lack concentration ever since they started playing at home again. What's the reason?

MartinUtd
05-18-2016, 11:04 PM
I was very late for this game. Traffic is an absolute nightmare coming in from the 401>427>Gardiner and prospects looked even works on Queensway and Lakeshore. I don't know how they can put these games on so early given how bad our transportation infrastructure is. Sometimes this city really bothers me :/

TMAN80
05-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Giovinco desperately needs a quality, experienced player to play with up front. Someone who reads/see's the game like he does. I'm not even sure Jozy was the answer before he got hurt. It's painful to watch Gio get the ball, look around while being swarmed by the other teams defenders, and decide that it's still not worth it to pass to any of them, even if they are open. He realizes it's better that he try and go through them all himself, because that gives us the best chance to score, or create anything. Endoh and Babouli have potential, and may be something in the future, but right now they are so far below Giovinco, that it has to be so incredibly frustrating for him! None of our forwadrs can deliver a through ball on his runs, so I notice he has stopped even trying most of the time. When the situation is reversed, his teammates don't know when to run and look for the through ball he is ready to deliver.
In a cap world its tough to have it all, but he needs help, and that has to happen soon(next transfer window is June?), because his patience with these guys will run out, and without his desire to win every game for us, we are just an average team at best.

Red CB Toronto
05-18-2016, 11:33 PM
RE the late fans -- normal for Toronto, but the lineup for the security check at least at the NE gate was brutal. I found a way around and was early anyway. How were the other gates?

Agreed about Beitashour. Also wanted to mention: lots of bad passing by many of the TFC players, from Irwin all the way forward. Often the guys seem lackadaisical or lack concentration ever since they started playing at home again. What's the reason?

The northeast in the worst gate to enter into when its getting closer to game time as its gets all the flow of people arriving on public transit and coming down from Liberty Village.

SirBobSaget
05-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Want to give a big shout out to Babouli and Johnson for their hustle tonight. Mo will break through in the next game or two I believe where we will only see 1 or 2 little mistakes a game. Really loving Endoh's creativity. On the other hand a big thumbs down to Moor tonight.

What did Moor do wrong?

SirBobSaget
05-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Vanney is rotating the CBs but what about the FBs? Beitashour needs a to sit.

reggie
05-19-2016, 12:23 AM
this is so typical tfc...win 2 lose 2 tie 1.its 500 club at best.GIO needs help,a 7 mil playing 50k players does not work,morrow and beilta have been brutal the last 2 games.

Hamilton_Red
05-19-2016, 12:54 AM
We were a better team playing away from home. We've looked more than a little in-inspired in the last 3 games.

At home, Bradley has to play in a more offensive role.

Hamilton_Red
05-19-2016, 12:56 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Gio head for greener pastures in July if this keeps up. We are an average team with him and would be a basement dweller if he wasn't here.

Derko
05-19-2016, 05:17 AM
So I thought coming home now that the points would be guaranteed, instead they have already dropped 5 points in three games and with the possibility of Seba and Bradley gone for awhile this will start looking like your typical TFC season of the past seasons.

This is Football, points are never guaranteed, just saying points should be easier at home, but never guaranteed, we sure missed Jozy doing his job as hold up man and creating space for our strikers.

Derko
05-19-2016, 05:20 AM
Giovinco desperately needs a quality, experienced player to play with up front. Someone who reads/see's the game like he does. I'm not even sure Jozy was the answer before he got hurt. It's painful to watch Gio get the ball, look around while being swarmed by the other teams defenders, and decide that it's still not worth it to pass to any of them, even if they are open. He realizes it's better that he try and go through them all himself, because that gives us the best chance to score, or create anything. Endoh and Babouli have potential, and may be something in the future, but right now they are so far below Giovinco, that it has to be so incredibly frustrating for him! None of our forwadrs can deliver a through ball on his runs, so I notice he has stopped even trying most of the time. When the situation is reversed, his teammates don't know when to run and look for the through ball he is ready to deliver.
In a cap world its tough to have it all, but he needs help, and that has to happen soon(next transfer window is June?), because his patience with these guys will run out, and without his desire to win every game for us, we are just an average team at best.

Jozy is out for 6-8 weeks

denime
05-19-2016, 05:50 AM

drop Altidore, sign Ibrahimovic ,MLS Cup is ours :)

OgtheDim
05-19-2016, 05:57 AM
I wonder how much the lethargic crowd has to do with this. People are half assed about getting there in time and ...

For some reason the North East gate was really slow at getting people in. I've never seen a lineup that long before. I put that down to lots of casuals. 20 minutes in and you could still see hundreds of people trying to get through the security.

OgtheDim
05-19-2016, 06:04 AM

That was the consensus around me last night. I put that down to Johnson being recessed more while Chapman was timid...very timid. He had many forward looks but continually passed backwards.

Borga
05-19-2016, 06:05 AM
For some reason the North East gate was really slow at getting people in. I've never seen a lineup that long before. I put that down to lots of casuals. 20 minutes in and you could still see hundreds of people trying to get through the security.
It was the worst I've ever seen it too. Security is notably more stringent this season IMO, that'll slow things down substantially and increase lines.

Derko
05-19-2016, 06:43 AM

It looked like thousands were still trying to get through Gate 1 after the start of the match

KurtLarSUN
05-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Gio head for greener pastures in July if this keeps up. We are an average team with him and would be a basement dweller if he wasn't here.

There's no basis for this. Truth is, Giovinco loves being in Toronto. He didn't come to walk into MLS Cup in Year 2.

Now then, if Barcelona comes and offers Toronto FC $20 million for him, well...

KurtLarSUN
05-19-2016, 06:51 AM
Seba's goal/assist streak snapped tonight. It took the team 11 games to score without Seba being involved.

To much being made of this, in my opinion. I can go through the situations if you want...

Why isn't anyone talking about how Altidore was the reason Toronto FC scored in three straight against New England, D.C. and Montreal?

KurtLarSUN
05-19-2016, 07:04 AM
Vanney is rotating the CBs but what about the FBs? Beitashour needs a to sit.

Beitashour is the club's best right fullback. He's one of the best right fullbacks in the Eastern Conference.

Plus, Mark Bloom is carrying an injury. He made the bench simply because TFC had nobody else.

OgtheDim
05-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Both Beitashour and Irwin know they can be better than they have been the last 2 games and have the experience to work out how to get there.

Impressed with Williams last night. Good to finally have 3 decent CBs.

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2016, 07:57 AM
It was the worst I've ever seen it too. Security is notably more stringent this season IMO, that'll slow things down substantially and increase lines.

We were warned of changes in security and MLS security policy changes. Expect this to be the new norm.

OgtheDim
05-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Impressive amount of booing of David Silva last night when he came on almost compensated for the cheers when he was shown warming up.

Canary10
05-19-2016, 08:38 AM
Impressive amount of booing of David Silva last night when he came on almost compensated for the cheers when he was shown warming up.

I thought that's what people were booing too. I know I was. But others are telling me it was that Pirlo wasn't brought in with the third sub. Hope that's not the case, but there were a lot of Pirlo shirts around.

TFC Tifoso
05-19-2016, 08:56 AM
I thought that's what people were booing too. I know I was. But others are telling me it was that Pirlo wasn't brought in with the third sub. Hope that's not the case, but there were a lot of Pirlo shirts around.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason why.....looked like at least 1/3 of the crowd was there just to see Pirlo....Gate 4 was like a mosh pit after the game waiting for him to come out.....

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2016, 09:02 AM

i thought endoh was in visisble most of the game, too small (height and weight). I woulda switched chapman (who was shittn the bed) to the centre to use his height and feet)

Yohan
05-19-2016, 09:15 AM
That was the consensus around me last night. I put that down to Johnson being recessed more while Chapman was timid...very timid. He had many forward looks but continually passed backwards.

There was one sequence where a through ball was played to the flank and Chapman and a NYCFC defenders raced to it. It was a 50/50 chance but Chapman pulled short, like he didn't want to get hit and allowed NYCFC defender to get the ball. Not impressed.

He's like TFC version of Kyle Bekker, except crappier passer but better dribbler. He needs to toughen up mentally if he's going to survive MLS.

Joe Kool
05-19-2016, 09:23 AM
There was one sequence where a through ball was played to the flank and Chapman and a NYCFC defenders raced to it. It was a 50/50 chance but Chapman pulled short, like he didn't want to get hit and allowed NYCFC defender to get the ball. Not impressed.

I saw that too. I was thinking WTF...not at this level. Go hard or go home.

OgtheDim
05-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Really hoping Delgado or Osorio can play on Saturday. I know Chapman can't get better until he plays more minutes but you have to put your body on the line and try forward passes.

Derko
05-19-2016, 09:50 AM
To much being made of this, in my opinion. I can go through the situations if you want...

Why isn't anyone talking about how Altidore was the reason Toronto FC scored in three straight against New England, D.C. and Montreal?

Because a majority of TFC fans don't see that and need someone to blame. Also I think it has to be explained what the role of a Target hold up forward is supposed to do. Fickle dumb what ever you call it

ronzilla
05-19-2016, 09:52 AM

Kurt, you cannot deny the fact that Giovinco has single-handedly carried this team on his back since last year and also this year.

The teams offence is rarely a threat unless Seba is involved and the numbers are clearly screaming this out. Nobody else on the team can finish and that's the real cause for concern.

With the amount of playing time Jozy had this season, hes bound to get something right, and helping out on a few goals does not justify
his ridiculous 5 mil/ year salary. Jozy was signed to score goals and has failed miserably. He is taking up a valuable DP spot and with his constant injury woes,
he is dragging this team down further. I can assure you that if Babouli or any other half decent player was up top with Seba, they would have no trouble finishing
the season with 10+ goals at a fraction of the cost of what is being spent on jozy.

Simply put, he needs to go. It's not even a question at this point.

A Stick
05-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Last night you could plainly see how the team and especially Giovinco miss Altidore. Taxi for Chapman, average at best.

spark
05-19-2016, 09:57 AM

He's like TFC version of Kyle Bekker, except crappier passer but better dribbler. He needs to toughen up mentally if he's going to survive MLS.

LOL that play actually reminded me of Ibee Ibrahim!!

His outing was a shame because Saturday showed promise.

Auzzy
05-19-2016, 10:00 AM
When Chapman came on as a late sub a couple of times recently, I thought he looked good. Good ball control, and really added a spark to the team late in the game.

Yesterday as a starter, not so much...

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2016, 10:21 AM

he looked to have some leg cramps after that, but I at least expected a shoulder.

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2016, 10:31 AM
It looked like thousands were still trying to get through Gate 1 after the start of the match

everyone showed up at 7, and the game started at 7 (7pm start is too early)

weekend game tickets said 7:30, but kick off was really around 7:45

TFC Tifoso
05-19-2016, 10:46 AM
ya....makes no sense whatsoever to have weekend games at 7:30 and weekday at 7:00.....that should be switched around....

QBall
05-19-2016, 10:57 AM
drop Altidore, sign Ibrahimovic ,MLS Cup is ours :)

I had shivers run up my spine with that thought. Seba and Ibrahimovic on TFC? I think that would usher in the second coming of Christ.

GhostKiller
05-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Kurt, you cannot deny the fact that Giovinco has single-handedly carried this team on his back since last year and also this year.

The teams offence is rarely a threat unless Seba is involved and the numbers are clearly screaming this out. Nobody else on the team can finish and that's the real cause for concern.

With the amount of playing time Jozy had this season, hes bound to get something right, and helping out on a few goals does not justify
his ridiculous 5 mil/ year salary. Jozy was signed to score goals and has failed miserably. He is taking up a valuable DP spot and with his constant injury woes,
he is dragging this team down further. I can assure you that if Babouli or any other half decent player was up top with Seba, they would have no trouble finishing
the season with 10+ goals at a fraction of the cost of what is being spent on jozy.

Ya I'll go ahead any deny that Gio has single-handedly carried this team. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is the best player in MLS history. BUT...
This team has loads of talent that;
1. Deserve credit for every win. Its a team sport. No team in the world can have one super talented player and a bunch of hacks and still be a threat.
2. We play the game around Gio because of his insane talent. More balls go through him for him to do what he does. If there wasn't a Gio, we would adjust to suit other strengths on a team.

I get what your saying about how impactful he is, but I think saying he is single handedly carrying this team is ignoring the reality of the game.

T-boy
05-19-2016, 11:11 AM
TFC weren't as bad as some people are making out. I also don't think NYCFC are going to have as terrible a season as some people are saying either! Vieira has got them playing very compact now and is slowly changing the team to how he wants. They aren't going to be the bottom feeders of last season. The table doesn't lie in football, and NYCFC are top of the East.

One reason TFC are looking better away than at home is that Vanney has them playing counter-attacking football - generally a slow building up, and then trying to get Seba on the break as he is usually deadline one-on-one with the keeper. That works away as generally most teams attack at home. TFC sucks up the pressure and then hits on the break, and it is effective.

However, at home that doesn't really work. The opponent block up the midfield and stay defensive, meaning that TFC don't really have much opportunity to have breakaways and counter-attack. The one time TFC got the breakaway yesterday Seba missed the goal.

TFC could do with more width at home. I generally only see Morrow and Beiteshour trying to cross the ball (neither are particularly good attacking crossers). When Mo got wide yesterday he was more effective - but the problem being that we only had Seba in the box - this is where we clearly miss somebody of Altidore's height.

You can't play a counter-attacking game at home against a packed mid and defence, its not going to work. They can play that game away, but we have to attack at home and put the opponent on the back-foot from the kick off.

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2016, 11:39 AM
TFC weren't as bad as some people are making out. I also don't think NYCFC are going to have as terrible a season as some people are saying either! Vieira has got them playing very compact now and is slowly changing the team to how he wants. They aren't going to be the bottom feeders of last season. The table doesn't lie in football, and NYCFC are top of the East.

One reason TFC are looking better away than at home is that Vanney has them playing counter-attacking football - generally a slow building up, and then trying to get Seba on the break as he is usually deadline one-on-one with the keeper. That works away as generally most teams attack at home. TFC sucks up the pressure and then hits on the break, and it is effective.

However, at home that doesn't really work. The opponent block up the midfield and stay defensive, meaning that TFC don't really have much opportunity to have breakaways and counter-attack. The one time TFC got the breakaway yesterday Seba missed the goal.

TFC could do with more width at home. I generally only see Morrow and Beiteshour trying to cross the ball (neither are particularly good attacking crossers). When Mo got wide yesterday he was more effective - but the problem being that we only had Seba in the box - this is where we clearly miss somebody of Altidore's height.

You can't play a counter-attacking game at home against a packed mid and defence, its not going to work. They can play that game away, but we have to attack at home and put the opponent on the back-foot from the kick off.

this is what had me wondering, where the F was endoh. wasn't he suppose to have this box to box engine. he was playing so deep. (this by the design I assume)

I think Vanney got the setup a bit wrong and didn't adjust when it wasn't working. To be fair, we missed our chances, passes, and crosses (morrow's crosses are getting worse)

TFC Tifoso
05-19-2016, 11:41 AM
There's no basis for this. Truth is, Giovinco loves being in Toronto. He didn't come to walk into MLS Cup in Year 2.

Now then, if Barcelona comes and offers Toronto FC $20 million for him, well...

this is true....if anybody can get their hands on the latest SportsNet Magazine (Sidney Crosby bobblehead on the cover), "The Interview" in that issue is with Giovinco.....one specific question asked is (paraphrasing question & answer) "What do you miss from home?"....Seba's answer is "Nothing at all. Family and friends sometimes, but I just see the a little less now, that's it."

As things currently are, he really likes our city.....

Oblio2
05-19-2016, 12:01 PM
boring ass long ball, hoofing football

TMAN80
05-19-2016, 12:41 PM
I came in from the east end(Durham) yesterday for the game, and there was a go train leaving Whitby at 5:28pm, and would have put us at the game for 6:30ish with lots of time. The problem for us was that specific train only goes to Union, and no further. For the life of me, I cannot understand how public transit had not figured out how to coordinate schedules for big events when a lot of people need to get around. We literally sat on the platform and let the 5:28 train board without us, and we caught the next one around 5:52. This puts us and the hundreds, if not thousands of other people there a few minutes before kickoff. And that is why we are always late for games in my opinion. Public transit does not accommodate or factor in start times for anything. They just run on a regular schedule, and you either show up way too early, or you have no choice but to catch the later one and get to your seat at the ten minute mark. This must happen on the West/North lines as well im guessing. I think it really is as simple as that. Also doesn't help when they close the Gardiner and streetcars as well on busy weekends.

Canary10
05-19-2016, 01:05 PM
^ Also could the tunnel between the Ex and the Go Station/Liberty Village be any more symptomatic of Toronto's poor planning and foresight? It's way too damn small. And it's awful now that 30,000 people are packing into BMO Field. Took my at least a half hour to get through that after the game.

I didn't realize what a pest Mix Diskerud is until that game. For some reason I thought he was more skilled, not a guy that gives annoying little cheap shots all over the place.

CowTipper
05-19-2016, 01:07 PM
I had a good laugh at the ground last night. Saw someone wearing a shirt saying "No Pirlo No Party" with a long sleeved TFC jersey underneath it (don't know if serious or play on "no pyro no party")

Those poor football snobs making the trek down to BMO (probably for the first time) to see Pirlo and he doesn't come off the bench.

Think of irony...

MightyDM
05-19-2016, 01:29 PM
We were warned of changes in security and MLS security policy changes. Expect this to be the new norm.

Yes, but that doesn't make it right, or necessary. Owners love security because it means we can't bring our own food water (or booze). Doesn't make anyone any safer, and lessens the atmosphere for the clubs with the delays. It's too bad, maybe one day they can get back to normal.

jloome
05-19-2016, 02:28 PM
I wonder how much the lethargic crowd has to do with this. People are half assed about getting there in time and as a result the stadium is less than a third full at kick off. Instead of our opponents walking out to a wall of noise it's like taking to the field for a warm up. At KO tonight the east stand was less than a third full compared to half way through the second half when it was over two-thirds full

A lot of you have known me on this board and its predecessor for nearly a decade now. I've been saying for nearly a decade that it's got to be terrible for the players to come to the supposed "fortress" and have it two-thirds empty when they start playing.

Of course it affects them. We have slow start after slow start, and you don't think they're looking around saying 'I guess most of them don't really care.' It has to be distracting.

Unfortunately, it's also the last thing any of them would probably admit.

It's early days, though. Maybe Vanney's a good tactical and technical coach but a lousy motivator. Maybe he needs to chuck a shoe at someone during the dressing room talk before the next game.

SirBobSaget
05-19-2016, 03:05 PM
I saw that too. I was thinking WTF...not at this level. Go hard or go home.

Then on the other side of midfield you have Johnson never giving up or backing down from anything despite coming out really bad from a hard challenge not long ago.

T-boy
05-19-2016, 03:43 PM
A lot of you have known me on this board and its predecessor for nearly a decade now. I've been saying for nearly a decade that it's got to be terrible for the players to come to the supposed "fortress" and have it two-thirds empty when they start playing.

Of course it affects them. We have slow start after slow start, and you don't think they're looking around saying 'I guess most of them don't really care.' It has to be distracting.

Unfortunately, it's also the last thing any of them would probably admit.

It's early days, though. Maybe Vanney's a good tactical and technical coach but a lousy motivator. Maybe he needs to chuck a shoe at someone during the dressing room talk before the next game.

I have only ever been to see TFC away in Montreal, so I don't know the answer - what is it like in other MLS stadiums in regards to people turning up on time for kick-off? Is it a TFC thing, or a general thing with MLS?

I know all other sports events I've been to in Toronto the crowd are never in their seats for the start, so its not just for TFC. I partly think its a North American thing that people don't think its important to be in their seat for the start. It's totally the opposite to football anywhere in Europe where people are literally sprinting to the stadium to get there on time. I always see people leisurely meandering to the game here like they don't care if they see kick off. Do people not realise that a football game can be won/lost within the first minute? It's not like basketball or hockey or baseball where you can see multiple goals/scores throughout.

Borga
05-19-2016, 03:52 PM
There were a lot of people fawning over Pirlo in 126-127. The boos when Villa came on were definitely due to Pirlo not hitting the field.

Pirlo was pretty snobbish about the whole thing - some clowns put together a "Grazi Pirlo" banner (or whatever it said) and hung it at the front of 127... Pirlo didn't notice until a bunch of people in 126 started yelling and pointing at it. He glanced at it over his shoulder, gave possibly the curtest nod I've ever seen and went back to ignoring the fans. The fanbois with the banner looked a bit sad.

OgtheDim
05-19-2016, 04:02 PM
I have only ever been to see TFC away in Montreal, so I don't know the answer - what is it like in other MLS stadiums in regards to people turning up on time for kick-off? Is it a TFC thing, or a general thing with MLS?

I started looking at games watching for that this season. Apart from Portland's Timbers Army area, the issue of being on time happens everywhere in every section. (Yes, it happens in Seattle and in SKC.)

Its not just a Toronto thing.

IMHO, we've actually been better at getting bodies in the first two games but the early start yesterday coupled with all the casuals made it difficult.

Watch out for NYCFC this weekend. 41K with the restrictions of having to use a cell phone - going to be a mess.

habstfc
05-19-2016, 04:20 PM
If their are long lines at the north gates go down to the south gates that's what I do and there is maybe a 1 minute wait to get in.

People wouldn't show up 10 or 15 minutes late for a movie so why a sporting event, I don't get it.

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2016, 04:28 PM
If their are long lines at the north gates go down to the south gates that's what I do and there is maybe a 1 minute wait to get in.

People wouldn't show up 10 or 15 minutes late for a movie so why a sporting event, I don't get it.

not yesterday, it was pretty bad once the go train arrived

and I get to pick my movie time hours, minutes b4 I go.

As for lateness in general, where my family is from (island folk) it is culturally acceptable and expected to be late (within reason) for most things (except work).

I married a Canadian (true blood, great grandfather wrote oh Canada). At our wedding, all the Canadians showed up 1/2 hr early (we were actually still setting up). All the Portuguese showed up an hour late.

So I imagine some of it is cultural. Id rather not miss the first 5minutes of a game, but I'm also not going to sweat over it.

DinamoTFC
05-19-2016, 05:45 PM

Saw that too. Our whole section reacted the same way. It Was 100 percent obvious he got scared. I would say he was 60/40 percent chance of winning it before he pulled up.

DinamoTFC
05-19-2016, 05:49 PM
everyone showed up at 7, and the game started at 7 (7pm start is too early)

weekend game tickets said 7:30, but kick off was really around 7:45

Tfc need to continue with the non-ticket time starts. I try to come to games at least 30 mins early. And it really is depressing when the stadium isnt even half full at kick off. I can only imagine the boys not feeling the hype either.
Hopefully tfc continues with the 15 minute delayed start.

DinamoTFC
05-19-2016, 05:58 PM

I know all other sports events I've been to in Toronto the crowd are never in their seats for the start, so its not just for TFC. I partly think its a North American thing that people don't think its important to be in their seat for the start. It's totally the opposite to football anywhere in Europe where people are literally sprinting to the stadium to get there on time. I always see people leisurely meandering to the game here like they don't care if they see kick off. Do people not realise that a football game can be won/lost within the first minute? It's not like basketball or hockey or baseball where you can see multiple goals/scores throughout.

I wonder if it also has to do with choreography. I know when I was in Europe everyone I was with wanted to get on time to see the choreo/tifos/and be a part of it that happen right at kick off. Maybe when we get our rigging system installed and people start missing our bannners and Portland like tifos then that will encourage them to come on time.

I know it was tiny but the black and red cards tfc used in the lower bowl sections during the home opener actually looked cool. I wish we could do it more often and on a larger scale.

DinamoTFC
05-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Watch out for NYCFC this weekend. 41K with the restrictions of having to use a cell phone - going to be a mess.

What do you mean ?

OgtheDim
05-19-2016, 06:37 PM
What do you mean ?

Yankees and NYCFC have instituted a system that you have to download a ticket to your phone and then show that to get in. You can't bring paper.

That and Yankee security had issues getting people through all of last season.

SoccMan2
05-19-2016, 06:47 PM
I think the reason you so many empty seats at the beginning of the game and so many people leaving early and people in no hurry to get to their seats is simply because a lot of people at TFC games have no real invested interest in the team. They go to games just because it's something to do they are not real fans and don't really follow the team, therefore could not care less if the game has started or there is still time left in the game when they leave early , it's as simple as that.

OgtheDim
05-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Until this last game, 99% of people stayed.

This last game was a "No Pirlo? EFF this thing!" exodus.

Auzzy
05-19-2016, 06:59 PM
In our area, lots of people started cheering when Villa came on. That's why I started booing. Plenty of others started booing as well -- I felt it was more TFC fans reacting to the Villa love, rather than anything related to Pirlo.

glaze
05-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Perhaps with the added events this summer at BMO field someone will take notice of the GO train tunnel hazard. What will happen after the stadium is expanded for the grey cup and winter classic?

TFC fans got fleeced for a couple of seasons missing out on Beckham, it's too bad the same thing happened for Pirlo, Especially since the club marketed it as Italian night at BMO.

Derko
05-20-2016, 05:05 AM

So your arguments are his salary. That I can live with, but say that don't dress it up with anti-Altidore rhetoric, in your own words, Simply put!!

ronzilla
05-20-2016, 07:31 AM
So your arguments are his salary. That I can live with, but say that don't dress it up with anti-Altidore rhetoric, in your own words, Simply put!!

Look.

The club finally realized that jozy cannot score goals on his own so they are trying to salvage his over-inflated salary and have him play as "hold up" man. Who exactly is he holding up for? Johnson? Osorio? Please give me a break. In order for this system to work, you need quality attacking mids that could finish. This system has failure written all over it. The first 10 games confirms it all with toronto being at the bottom of the list in Goals For.

Strange coincidence that when jozy sits out, the team scores their first goal (after 11 games) without Seba being involved.

You could only imagine if Seba and Villa were playing up top, they would be annihilating opponents at will, and theres not much difference in salary between those 2. In order for this club to succeed, they need a half decent striker who can score goals and Jozy is far from it. Theres just no room for him and his constant injuries and I have no doubts the club is working on getting him off the team.

OgtheDim
05-20-2016, 07:52 AM
Look.

The club finally realized that jozy cannot score goals on his own so they are trying to salvage his over-inflated salary and have him play as "hold up" man. Who exactly is he holding up for? Johnson? Osorio?

Uh, Seba, among others.

Its been working.

Fort York Redcoat
05-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Look.

The club finally realized that jozy cannot score goals on his own so they are trying to salvage his over-inflated salary and have him play as "hold up" man. Who exactly is he holding up for? Johnson? Osorio? Please give me a break. In order for this system to work, you need quality attacking mids that could finish. This system has failure written all over it. The first 10 games confirms it all with toronto being at the bottom of the list in Goals For.

Strange coincidence that when jozy sits out, the team scores their first goal (after 11 games) without Seba being involved.

You could only imagine if Seba and Villa were playing up top, they would be annihilating opponents at will, and theres not much difference in salary between those 2. In order for this club to succeed, they need a half decent striker who can score goals and Jozy is far from it. Theres just no room for him and his constant injuries and I have no doubts the club is working on getting him off the team.

Why are we imagining Villa on our team? I suppose he's fresh on our minds? Their salaries are close so... I think there is more to a negotiation.

I'm concerned for the next 6-8 weeks. I dread the weeks after the next window closes if he's still here for what that other thread is going to look like.:rolleyes:

CowTipper
05-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Until this last game, 99% of people stayed.

This last game was a "No Pirlo? EFF this thing!" exodus.

I was DELIGHTED on how things turned out on that front. Screw the Pirlo tourists.

paul-collins
05-20-2016, 09:03 AM
Look.

The club finally realized that jozy cannot score goals on his own so they are trying to salvage his over-inflated salary and have him play as "hold up" man. Who exactly is he holding up for? Johnson? Osorio?

Asked...

and answered.:rolleyes:

TFC Tifoso
05-20-2016, 09:10 AM
I was DELIGHTED on how things turned out on that front. Screw the Pirlo tourists.

lol...yes so glad that we didn't get the chance to watch one of the greatest players of our generation play live in what was his only (and possibly last) visit to BMO Field :rolleyes:.....

for a pure soccer fan, not seeing him out there was a disappointment, plain and simple, regardless of whether you wanted the fanboys spited or not....

Fort York Redcoat
05-20-2016, 10:55 AM

As long as you don't have a tourist fanboy hero you'd be psyched to see. Because that would be hypocritical.

lol...yes so glad that we didn't get the chance to watch one of the greatest players of our generation play live in what was his only (and possibly last) visit to BMO Field :rolleyes:.....

for a pure soccer fan, not seeing him out there was a disappointment, plain and simple, regardless of whether you wanted the fanboys spited or not....

Meh. I'm here for Toronto. I won't appreciate oppositions talent.

I must admit this year more than most I'm looking at the Canadians on opposing sides with mixed feelings.

CowTipper
05-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Double post...sorry

CowTipper
05-20-2016, 11:32 AM

I agree with the sentiment that Pirlo is one of the greatest players of our generation but I was glad to see that he remained on the bench.

As long as you don't have a tourist fanboy hero you'd be psyched to see. Because that would be hypocritical.

I must admit this year more than most I'm looking at the Canadians on opposing sides with mixed feelings.

You and I are on the same page, Redcoat. I "Support Local Football". :canada:

TFC Tifoso
05-20-2016, 11:40 AM

I get that, and I am as well, but I guess I don't see it always as "the oppositions' talent".
I see it as the opportunity to see live some of our generation's greatest players.....sure some are past it, but it is an opportunity we wouldn't get otherwise, so its a bit of a "take what you can get" deal.....I have season tix so I'm obviously I'm at as many games as I can get to (I have a bit of a drive to BMO), but if I know a team with big name is coming in, I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't add some extra excitement to the game.....again, I say this as a pure fan of the sport, removing my feelings for TFC from it all for a minute.....

As far as the Canadians in MLS go....well what can yo do....its impossible for TFC to horde all the top Canadian talent, and the players gotta do the best for themselves in the small time they have to do it....I guess for me as long as they perform as well as they do with their MLS club team as when they put on the Canada kit, its ok with me, generally speaking.....of course that could change depending on the importance of the game for TFC.....

ronzilla
05-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Uh, Seba, among others.

Its been working.

Uh, Seba is so obvious, did I really need to mention it for you?

And NO it's not been working. Jozy has only 2 assists since last year
and 0 asssists this year.

Asked...

and answered.

Seems like you are struggling to understand my post. There is no Q/A in my post. :facepalm:

Fort York Redcoat
05-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Hold up man does not mean setup man. I know we're in NA here but if you are relying on just goals and just assists then, fine, you can simplify things.

If you need to.

jloome
05-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Hold up man does not mean setup man. I know we're in NA here but if you are relying on just goals and just assists then, fine, you can simplify things.

If you need to.

I wouldn't want Jozy to start simplifying his game by tallying goals and assists. Lunacy.

molenshtain
05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't want Jozy to start simplifying his game by tallying goals and assists. Lunacy.

people called him useless last year for only scoring 13 goals in 25 appearances. This year he works hard to improve the other side of his game and suddenly he's shit for not scoring over a tiny sample size. It's a stupid argument.

Fort York Redcoat
05-20-2016, 01:56 PM

Why not? That would mean we wouldn't need to get Ibra tmr. Sarcasm.

p.s.- Did you make it to the Vcup match last week?

jloome
05-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Why not? That would mean we wouldn't need to get Ibra tmr. Sarcasm.

p.s.- Did you make it to the Vcup match last week?

Hey, I'm not deluded enough to think Ibra's coming to Toronto, but I'm also not ignoring every single statistic -- from aerial duels, to tackles, to pass completion percentage, to shots, to assists, to goals -- that says so far Altidore is contributing very little for his salary. It's not enough for him to do very little but do it very well. It's a waste of his abilities and the team's resources.

As for the Eddies, I don't support them or the NASL; most of the people investing in it have neither the soccer interest or know-how to make it work, as it evidenced by the farce this season that is Miami, Edmonton's ongoing debacle on all fronts, franchises folding, moving, restarting. They are bad for the sport. The league may have a long-term future and it's certainly making some positive contributions to the overall culture of soccer; but the reason it struggles on so many fronts is due to how its run. Attending it just endorses it (plus, I live well out of town now, so it's not even really an option most nights). There's a reason MLS didn't attempt to work with them when given the chance and basically bought USL instead.

jloome
05-20-2016, 02:20 PM
people called him useless last year for only scoring 13 goals in 25 appearances. This year he works hard to improve the other side of his game and suddenly he's shit for not scoring over a tiny sample size. It's a stupid argument.

I don't think anyone called him useless for scoring 13 goals. Unless that's friendly hyperbole, it certainly wouldn't have been enough people for it to be taken seriously anyway. What he was last year was less offensively involved than he needed to be. He had the fewest shots per game of any top striker in the league by a wide margin. Efficiency is one thing, but he needs to create and take chances offensively, and right now he very rarely does that.

If all he does is poach crap, he may score 13 again... but he might also score 3. We can't have only one scoring forward, unless someone expects Will Johnson to kick in five or 10 this year.

Fort York Redcoat
05-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Hey, I'm not deluded enough to think Ibra's coming to Toronto, but I'm also not ignoring every single statistic -- from aerial duels, to tackles, to pass completion percentage, to shots, to assists, to goals -- that says so far Altidore is contributing very little for his salary. It's not enough for him to do very little but do it very well. It's a waste of his abilities and the team's resources.

As for the Eddies, I don't support them or the NASL; most of the people investing in it have neither the soccer interest or know-how to make it work, as it evidenced by the farce this season that is Miami, Edmonton's ongoing debacle on all fronts, franchises folding, moving, restarting. They are bad for the sport. The league may have a long-term future and it's certainly making some positive contributions to the overall culture of soccer; but the reason it struggles on so many fronts is due to how its run. Attending it just endorses it (plus, I live well out of town now, so it's not even really an option most nights). There's a reason MLS didn't attempt to work with them when given the chance and basically bought USL instead.

Yeah that's why a post from you that concerns the simplest stats looks ironic. :) We know he's not doing enough. Everyone should. It's those that are clinging to the simple stats that make them sound like he's not doing anything. fb stuff.

Ah, So no NASL for the jloome. Got it. Too bad. I know a couple V's out there trying to make it the best they can and I love they have their own start to Vcup.

Canary10
05-20-2016, 03:15 PM
If Jozy doesn't start scoring, at some point he'll lose his ability to pull defenders with him. Then you won't see much space for Giovinco. He needs to score. Already I think he's lost a bit of the fear factor he had last year when he came in. Teams are starting to let him go a bit more.

InSuL1nImP
05-20-2016, 07:56 PM
His routes, slow pace, easy frustration.

Initial B
05-21-2016, 08:35 PM
I guess TFC softened up NYCFC for the Red Bulls? Why couldn't Vanney get his guys to do that to Man City Light? I'm starting to question Vanney's coaching abilities again...